PDA

View Full Version : Has the lack of a "Major Comic Event" affected your summer reading?

afroloq
08-01-2010, 05:04 PM
With no Skrulls taking over, Batman dying, Norman Osborne in charge of H.A.M.M.E.R. and so on, has it changed your reading/buying habits changed?

Ryan Elliott
08-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I stopped reading comics after Batman died and Norman Osborn took control of the Marvel U.

Twopossums
08-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Maybe some. I'm not buying all those horrible tie-in issues that I think I need but really don't.

Matt Jay
What with all the Avengers launches, I think there's as many titles to read as an event year.

Dude Pal
With no Skrulls taking over, Batman dying, Norman Osborne in charge of H.A.M.M.E.R. and so on, has it changed your reading/buying habits changed?

I've started crying myself to sleep a lot more.

SidekicksRevenge
08-01-2010, 05:08 PM
I feel as though the dozen Shadowland tie-ins that have so ably tempted me will be a fine substitute for all the Dark Reign stuff from last year.

Ray G.
08-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Brightest Day!

Plus, with Shadowland and Curse of the Mutants, it's not like Marvel is lacking for events. :lol:

GelfXIII
08-01-2010, 05:09 PM

I've bought exactly as many comics this summer as I bought last summer.

Exactly.

afroloq
08-01-2010, 05:09 PM
I feel as though the dozen Shadowland tie-ins that have so ably tempted me will be a fine substitute for all the Dark Reign stuff from last year.

yeah...i actually considered grabbing a few of those myself but I dont need any more distractions...LOL

The Robot Lord of Tokyo
08-01-2010, 05:17 PM
What they need to do is have a D.C. and Marvel crossover called Necrosha vs. Blackest Night!
May the best risen corpses win!

Dream
08-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Are Brightest Day and the Heroic Age not events? They sure seem like they are.

lonesomefool
08-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Brightest Day more so than Heroic Age. Brightest Day seems like it could either wrap up in it's own series or it might also be building to the next DCU/Green Lantern event.

Heroic Age seems more like One Year Later where it's just a banner for what is supposed to be "lighter" super hero comics.

lonesomefool
08-01-2010, 05:29 PM

I'm tempted by a couple of them, but for right now I am sticking with just Shadowland and Daredevil.

Some of the creative teams on those Shadowland books are quite good, but after grabbing a number of the Dark Reign mini's, I'm sitting this one more on the sidelines and just focusing on the two main books.

Fake Pat
08-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Yeah, I think it has. I'm down to 2 Marvel and 2 DC books right now.

I mean, it would depend on creative team, but I have picked up pretty much every big event series since I started reading comics.

Bandit Chimera
08-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Brightest Day!

Plus, with Shadowland and Curse of the Mutants, it's not like Marvel is lacking for events. :lol:

What he said...it really doesn't matter to me now though I have been only reading creator owned books and trades as of late. I will get the brightest day in trade when it comes out though.

Zac Goyette
08-01-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm actually buying more. What is great about the event is all the great new stuff that comes from the aftermath. I added at least 10 new titles to my pull list after Siege and Blackest Night ended. It has been great stuff so far too.

dEnny!
08-01-2010, 07:32 PM

Brightest Day!

Nope, no events going on right now folks. Nothing to see here.

Fake Pat
08-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Nope, no events going on right now folks. Nothing to see here.

Haven't a bunch of people from Marvel talked about how stuff like that was not "event" books in the past?

shoelaceless
08-01-2010, 07:41 PM
No. I haven't been interested in an Event since Final Crisis, and I didn't make it past two issues.

Zac Goyette
08-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Haven't a bunch of people from Marvel talked about how stuff like that was not "event" books in the past?

The heroic age is not considered an event, its a banner. They have similar themes, but the stories are obviously different. They have said they are moving to family line events when they do events and are moving away from line wide events.

dmh3000
08-01-2010, 07:47 PM
If they stop making these big corssovers, I swear I will start buying individual issues from DC and Marvel.

wheels9696
08-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Its ensured that Beasts of Burden is my new favorite thing ever.

AndrewG
08-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Nah. There were a couple dozen new title launches and reboots so my purchasing actually went up over last year.

Maestro
08-02-2010, 07:05 AM
I've been reading X-Men: Second Coming for the past few months.

The Dean
08-02-2010, 07:10 AM
It seems to me there are more Major Comic Events than regular comic events these days.

Nobody has mentioned the Thanos Imperative yet either.

NickT
08-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Not really, they're more the after bit of Blackest Night and Siege. It's just pointing out places things have changed IMO.

It's not really affected me, generally if I collected a big event I'd only be reading one or two books a month extra.

Maestro
08-02-2010, 07:20 AM
It seems to me there are more Major Comic Events than regular comic events these days.

I'm not sure what you mean. A major event would be something like Civil War or Secret Invasion, with dozens of tie-ins across the entire catalog. A "regular" event... ? I guess that would be like Second Coming or Fall of the Hulks. I wouldn't count the Thanos Imperative as either.

NickT
08-02-2010, 07:21 AM

But here is where the term event is shown to really have absolutely no meaning. How is Thanos Imperative a major event? It affects what, two books that are on hiatus? How is that anything like a company-wide event like Civil War or a line-wide one like Second Coming?

When you get down to it, all event really means is very hyped/promoted story. It's the only thing that is similar in all events. It's a bit silly really to compare them all, you have Civil War that tied in to so many books, reshaped the Marvel Universe and caused a lot of new books, then you have Shadowland which only ties into one existing book that isn't Daredevil and will basically only affect Daredevil, then Thanos Imperative which is basically just a mini with a big plot.

UltimateFactor
08-02-2010, 08:04 AM
The World needs more "Unity". Darkhorse should pick up more old Valiant properties, I'm enjoying Solar.

TheKraken
08-02-2010, 08:07 AM
I am very happy to be reading completely different, really enjoyable stories in Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Fantastic Four instead of all of them being parts of the same thing. I hope line-wide events go away for a long time.

Bedlam66
08-02-2010, 08:36 AM
The World needs more "Unity". Darkhorse should pick up more old Valiant properties, I'm enjoying Solar.
I wouldn't mind a Revamped X-O Man o war

The Dean
08-02-2010, 08:44 AM

I don't know if you followed the story or not...

A new company called Valiant Entertainment bought all of the Valiant titles except Solar, Magnus and Turok (which were owned by another company). Valiant Entertainment hired Shooter to write for them and attempted to license the Solar, Magnus and Turok characters.

However, Dark Horse outbid and ended up with the licenses for Solar, Magnus and Turok and hired Shooter away from the new Valiant. Now there are a lot of law suits going on over this and Shooter is accused of violating contracts as well as taking the stories he wrote for Valiant Entertainment and giving them to Dark Horse.

afroloq
08-02-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't know if you followed the story or not...

A new company called Valiant Entertainment bought all of the Valiant titles except Solar, Magnus and Turok (which were owned by another company). Valiant Entertainment hired Shooter to write for them and attempted to license the Solar, Magnus and Turok characters.

However, Dark Horse outbid and ended up with the licenses for Solar, Magnus and Turok and hired Shooter away from the new Valiant. Now there are a lot of law suits going on over this and Shooter is accused of violating contracts as well as taking the stories he wrote for Valiant Entertainment and giving them to Dark Horse.

Whoa!!!!

Masculine Todd
08-02-2010, 10:25 AM
It's helped liberate me from the monthly format. College and the ever-looming grad school are destroying my budget, and keeping up with an entire line of books due to them having a perpetually changing status quo is no longer necessary. I'm now free to pick up trades at my leisure, it seems. I don't have to worry about when I grab the first relaunched Avengers trade, and in what order I read it in conjuncture with other trades of other books because they're not bound to a linewide storyarc. It's awesome.

I'm never going back to singles or tailoring when I buy/read a trade of FF because it coincides with a huge crossover in New Avengers. Coordinating such things isn't particularly hard, but I just don't care to do it, so now, when I have a little bit of loan/scholarship money, I can buy whatever series in whatever volume I want.

DaveCummings
08-02-2010, 11:07 AM
I just wished whomever owns the Valiant books would put out a collection of the first few issues of Ninjak. I loved Joe Quesada's art in those.

Zac Goyette
08-02-2010, 03:01 PM
I would think the Ninjak issues would be an easy find in the quarter bins