PDA

View Full Version : Rick Olney: Still does not pay freelancers or anyone else.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 03:48 PM
This is a fairly easy thing to work out.

Find a single convention organizer other than Rick who has ever had a problem with myself or Tony Isabella. I have
never had a single disagreement of any kind with any other convention organizer or store owner, never. To the contrary,
I remain friends with nearly every one and have nothing but good things to say about them, and in return, I am invited back
routinely to nearly every convention I have ever appeared at.

Now find a name pro who has attended a Rick Olney convention that has a single good word to say about him.

Look him up on Google and find pages and pages of people he's lied to, cheated, and insulted. No amount of
revisionist martyrdom will change that.

He wants this to be my fault...the grand master behind his delusions changes regularly, it was Chuck Dixon pulling
the strings for a while, it was Ian Shires for a long time, now it's mostly Tony Isabella.
Too bad the TRUTH of it is he had a reputation for being a liar and worse long before I'd ever crossed paths with him.
Look at his freakout meltdown on the comicon boards when he tried to lie to everyone there that ORCA had
tax-exempt status for donations. That's a serious offense right there. And why is it all the people who used to support
him in these endeavors eventually got sick of him and wanted nothing more to do with him under any circumstances?

Why is it retailers, pros, former friends, and even former Orca members have nothing good to say about this man?

Case closed.

MacQuarrie
I have nothing more to say in regards to this other than, if some of you would take the time to get to know me personally you will see that I am not a bad person and I wish I did not sign Olney's contract, but I did and I will make good on the contract unless the convention is canceled.
Michael, here's some free and unasked-for advice: You're only obligated to honor the contract as long as he does. If he says he's sending plane tickets and then fails to do so, do not buy your own on his promise of reimbursement. Do not go out of pocket to keep your word to him. Do not pay for your own hotel or meals when his credit card gets declined. If you're going to keep your word, also hold his feet to the fire and make him keep his.

I will bet you ten bucks the thing will be canceled less than two weeks before the date. Wait and see.

SarahBeach
What an interesting few days since I last read this thread!

Unfortunate that Rick got signed contracts from guests that they feel obligated to stand by. I do hope those contracts include specifics on what HE is obligated to pay for on their behalf. And that they do not fall for his "Oh, I'm short right now. You pay for it, and send me the receipt and I'll reimburse you!" act.

They should note that on his blog he implies that of all the people in the world Chuck Dixon doesn't know how to read a contractural pay-out schedule.

Really? Hmmm... that means that you've just implicated certain people formerly handling those duties with fraud, or at least an inability to perform their job back then. I had heard the same thing of Chuckie D., and wasn't sure ... especially when this was the man that couldn't grant the initial request for a pay-out schedule to begin to start with. See, and I thought these things could only come out in a court of law.

Well, now that I read that again, I'm not entirely sure what the heck Rick means. He seems to be implying in some way that Chuck hampered Rick's ability to pay people, though only Rick knows how that is possible, since it is only in his little pea-brain that it is actually required that the entirety of the team be paid all at once and only if they all agree. Rick: either you owe these people or you don't. You keep admitting that you DO owe them. Stop making a stupid complication of the business.

Anyway, the part that greatly amused me is when he hinted at Gail that she is not a "Creator" - and implied that other participants on this message board are also not creators. Of course, he then does not give any definition of what he considers a "Creator" to be, so there's not really much that one can say to him other than "In common usage, Rick, particularly in the comics business, Gail - and several other posters on her message board - do, in fact, qualify as creators." He'll continue to whine and try to denegrate the achievements of various posters, but one can't take him very seriously at all. He knows so very little about creativity himself, that he's not a reliable commentator on the matter. And really, (and ignobly, I admit) I cannot help but rub his nose in it because he is such an utter failure on creative issues.

Oh, yes, there was the one other thing that struck me as I read through his "justification" of his outlook of the 2003 MMC, and that was his one paragraph about the cosplay girls.

RE: The COSPLAY -- We had three people show up for it. These two girls and the young lady that had built the Jack Skeffington (if I have the character's name correct).Why did I need to fawn all over them like you three or four did? Frankly, I didn't need to. Had other things on my mind. But worry not, this shall come around to where you'll need to account for all you've stated that was incorrect purposely or otherwise. You're not a very nice person yourself.

Such a pop-culture maven he is (a "horror" one at that!) and he doesn't even know the character's name is "Jack Skellington" (as in DUH! LOOK AT HIM!). Ah well.

But more appalling is his attitude: Why did I need to fawn all over them?

Well, let's see, Mister Convention Organizer -- you announced that you would have a costume contest at your little convention. People showed up to participate in it! It doesn't matter that it was just three of them and that they were all young women. You programmed it, that made it your obligation!

Creep.

Stressfactor
08-13-2011, 03:56 PM
I got enough crap going on in my life! Do you realize how many dirty diapers twin newborns go through a day?

See, here's the thing, I don't necessarily expect you to know this BUT...

At least one of the people Rick cheated in the past had a sick child and NEEDED the money Rick promised him. And we're not talking 'Child with a cough' type sick we're talking IN THE HOSPITAL sick. And Rick didn't give a damn.

Another person Rick cheated has two children also and was trying to raise them right on a small salary and ALSO NEEDED the money Rick promised him. Did Rick give a damn then either? No.

Then there's the St. Jude's thing -- an entire HOSPITAL full of seriously ill children and Rick promised to donate proceeds from his con to the hospital... and he scammed them too.

RIck's actions have not only harmed trusting parties they've also harmed young innocents as well. Parents who needed money to feed and clothe and try to help their little ones get better and Rick KNEW this and he still screwed them over.

It takes a certain level of sociopathy to do that.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm not going after any of the people who said they are attending this trainwreck (because we all know it will almost certainly never happen, and if by some miracle it does, everyone who attends will have a horrible time and lose money), but I would suggest that they think very carefully about defending Olney or making excuses for him. "Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas," as the saying goes.

Being obligated to attend an event is one thing, but allying yourself with a know thief, cheat and fraud is another. If you seriously want a career in comics, you really don't want to be known as an associate of somebody who has ripped off or screwed everyone he's ever dealt with. The comics industry is a very small town; everyone knows everyone else, at least by reputation (I'm a complete nobody in comics, I have only a couple of publishing credits to my name, and yet I had dozens of pros at SDCC recognize my name), and the absolute last thing you want is to have your name linked to that of a scumbag.

Appearing at an Olney event is not an opportunity; it's a liability. Run while you can.

Dude, I'm not going AFTER them, either. I have never heard of ANY of these people. Valerie assures me we have
talked before and I don't deny it at all, but I have absolutely no memory of it.

All three of them came to US. Two on Facebook (Michael and Valerie), and then this Ring Maker fellow. I have
no beef with any of them, except that ethically, I think, "Well, I don't care how many people he's cheated in the
past, as long as he doesn't cheat ME" is completely indefensible.

Other than that, I wish them well. They may be phenomenal talents...the fact that I've never heard of them is
meaningless, I don't know half the people who work at DC, let alone other comics companies.

The truth is, I feel sorry for them. They got flattered and bribed into Rick's latest delusional failure. Others
warned me about Rick before the Mighty-mini-Con, but at the time, the charges were simply that he was
a hothead asshole lunatic, not a serial deadbeat. And like these guys, I had already given my word.

There is a difference now, a clear pattern of years of broken promises and non-payment.

Rick says there was a couple years between the con and my speaking out about him. He knows
full well why that is. I didn't speak out about him because I was so relieved to have this
piece of filth out of my life that telling him to shove the rest of the money he owed me was
most definitely worth it.

It wasn't until he started cheating good friends with his fake, fanboy imaginary Mary Sue comics
that I felt I had to speak up. Dave Lanphear and his wife wrote me, almost in tears, asking if they
had made a terrible mistake trusting this man. Chuck Dixon and Val Staples were cheated out
of large sums of money.

THAT is why I spoke out. Otherwise, like a lot of people, I was ashamed I had trusted a deadbeat
fraud, and was so thrilled to be rid of him that it was worth it to me to forsake the rest of the money
he owed me.

When people will happily pay never to speak to you again, it's hard to keep pretending you're a big
wheel in the industry. Good luck with that, Rick.

J.R. LeMar
08-13-2011, 03:59 PM
I highly doubt it. I also must say, the recent, I should have known better, I regret signing the contract but I am a man of my word posts ring hollow to me.

If Michael W. Kellar is truly regretful, I would suggest making a post on your Facebook and elsewhere you post and advising none of your friends to sign a contract with Rick. If more guests are announced and they all have a personal connection to you and you could have warned them, your actions or lack thereof will have spoken much louder than your words here.

I'm not sure how much to believe these folks either because, as I said, it's hard to believe Olney wouldn't be calling them and yelling and threatening them once he heard that they were telling people that they regret signing up with him. Certainly, that should make for some awkward conversations if they actually do meet @ the convention.

Now, I'm not sure exactly what those contracts say, or if there is an NDA involved, but maybe they can't actively defame the convention, so perhaps a public post would be impossible. But, definitely, some private messages warning other creative people you know not to sign with Olney would be nice. Also removing him from your FB friend lists, & unfollowing him on Twitter, not doing anything to actively promote your appearance @ the convention, are all also options that could prove that you're really not happy about signing a contract with Olney. And after Mr. Batjeepster has had a chance to "take it all in," I'd be surprised if he still keeps the link to the con on his FB fan page.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Michael,

I don't think you are a bad person. I have stated what I think is repugnant about your position.

But I don't think you are a bad person. You will regret trusting Rick Olney, however. Everyone does, eventually.

He's that kind of person.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm saying again, I don't think Valerie, Michael, Clayton, or this ring fellow (sorry, no disrespect intended but I don't know your name) are bad people.

They may feel a little sheepish and gullible right now and that causes people to lash out a bit. No harm done.

I will, to my dying day, think it's wrong to only care about one's own payday and career and not those of other freelancers. But clearly,
none of them have any experience in the industry at all and when you're new to this stuff, you're new to this stuff.

But I don't think they're bad people. When you make a mistake, sometimes you come up with bullshit reasons to justify it.
I have a lot of sympathy for that. The only one actively spewing lies is Rick.

MyNameIsNotLarry
08-13-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure how much to believe these folks either because, as I said, it's hard to believe Olney wouldn't be calling them and yelling and threatening them once he heard that they were telling people that they regret signing up with him.
Exactly. We've heard far too many stories of Rick going crazy on people for even the slighest hint they may have spoken against him. Yet he's totally silent on this matter. Hmm?

I'll tell you why it's ringing hollow for me. Gail has said that she doesn't put Clayton in with Rick because he came here and said he regrets signing the contract. She's posted that a few times. Then now suddenly Batjeepster and Michael W. Kellar both show up and say they are men of their word and are full of regret. It feels like it's a script reading. Playing the part they were told in hopes their names will be left out of things.

That's my personal feeling on it. If they as you said, stop following him on Facebook/Twitter, warn others, etc., then I'll actually believe they have regret.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 04:21 PM
That's possible, Larry.

But two things...

Who wants to put on a convention where you're guests publicly say they regret being involved even BEFORE the convention?

And

I still prefer to believe the best in people until they prove themselves to be horrible. Rick has proven that a thousand times.

bert
08-13-2011, 04:21 PM
I guess that script also included links to the very same overflowing toilet picture that "someone" likes to post?

WilRadcliffe
08-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Nothing fancy, but here's the link to the first two pages of the story Zeu and I did.

Lord Percy's Eyes (http://www.nogglestones.com/lordpercy.htm)

I decided to go with The Wounded Warrior Project as a charity.

I'll try to get more pages lettered (hard to do... I hate covering up Zeu's beautiful artwork with word balloons!) in the next few days.

Let me know what you guys think!

Wil

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 04:31 PM
I think it was a new one.

I swear, Rick's fetish for that stuff is absolutely creepy. Who would go to a convention run by a guy so fascinated with shit-filled toilets? What vets organization would want any part of a person like that?

It's sick.

J.R. LeMar
08-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Maybe Gail's right. I might just be having a hard time being forgiving @ the moment because, as I mentioned earlier, last night and earlier today, when preparing my Val Staples report, I spent probably way too much time going over Olney's old posts in the YABS and BC threads. Spending a couple of hours re-reading all this stuff from the past 4 1/2 years, seeing some of the truly vile racist, sexist, and homophobic stuff he's posted, reading the stories of people like Tim, Ronee, and Cesar, about how they were desperate for money when Olney screwed them, seeing him mocking people's personal tragedies while repeatedly using his own personal tragedies as an excuse, seeing the pattern of Olney's actions and how it becomes so predictable (start off trying to sound reasonable, slowly get more and more insulting, head to full-on melt-down, disappear for awhile, return and apologize, start off all over again), it just makes you so disgusted @ him and anyone who would willingly associate with him.

And, remember, Gail, you initially tried to excuse Dennis Kinninger more than once, saying you didn't think he was anything like Olney either. We later saw his true colors too. So, again, I may just be overly jaded right now.

J.R. LeMar
08-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Rick has just been the busiest of beavers. Another new guest for the con that will never happen.

John "Waki" Wycough

Just received my reply (yeah, that's right, I'm posting a private email, fook it):

Yes, yes, he's got a checkered past. Who on earth doesn't? We are supposed to be in an industry of tolerance & acceptance. My contract states certain aspects that if not met, I don't travel.

I go to many, many cons in a year and feel that it would be beneficial for me to attend the Adirondack show.

Thank you for your concern into my personal business even though I do not know you from a stranger on the other side of the planet.

Have a groovy day.
-john

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Maybe Gail's right. I might just be having a hard time being forgiving @ the moment because, as I mentioned earlier, last night and earlier today, when preparing my Val Staples report, I spent probably way too much time going over Olney's old posts in the YABS and BC threads. Spending a couple of hours re-reading all this stuff from the past 4 1/2 years, seeing some of the truly vile racist, sexist, and homophobic stuff he's posted, reading the stories of people like Tim, Ronee, and Cesar, about how they were desperate for money when Olney screwed them, seeing him mocking people's personal tragedies while repeatedly using his own personal tragedies as an excuse, seeing the pattern of Olney's actions and how it becomes so predictable (start off trying to sound reasonable, slowly get more and more insulting, head to full-on melt-down, disappear for awhile, return and apologize, start off all over again), it just makes you so disgusted @ him and anyone who would willingly associate with him.

And, remember, Gail, you initially tried to excuse Dennis Kinninger more than once, saying you didn't think he was anything like Olney either. We later saw his true colors too. So, again, I may just be overly jaded right now.

I was wrong about Dennis Kinninger. I thought of Dennis as a spineless toady, but basically an okay dude who was just doing his best to swim in Rick's wake. And Dennis WAS the first person in Rick's inner circle to admit that
Rick was not to be trusted with finances.

But his gutlessness is a big part of why so many people were cheated. He knew Rick was untrustworthy with money and didn't warn anyone until it was too late.

I will say, still, however, that I think if Dennis had actually been running the con, it would still have been a flop, but I suspect everyone would have been paid. I don't think he
is dishonest, I don't believe he was like Rick in that regard.

So I still say there's a difference.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 04:42 PM
It's interesting how similar all these responses are.

Rick's clearly coached them all. They all used some variation of that line, "if my contract is broken, I don't go."

Dudes, who said anything about YOU? What people are saying is that this guy has a MASSIVE history of non-payment to freelancers.

Poor gullible bastards. They have my sympathy.

They'll learn soon enough. This guy looks like the first of this group with anything actually on his resume, but I've never heard of him.
Huh.

Michael W. Kellar
08-13-2011, 04:47 PM
https://www.facebook.com/michael.w.kellar

and

http://comicbookinker1971.deviantart.com/journal/43220582/#comments

I have been doing my own research and found things about Rick that I don't believe I have seen posted anywhere yet, believe me if this convention does happen (which I personally hope it is canceled, because then it is his breach of contract) then I will never have any other dealings with Rick Olney and will remove all contact with him, but for now I am hovering in the background and watching what he is posting on the net because I am listed as attending the convention.
And before I get accused of anything else, I did put together a team to create convention badges...which I will personally see completed on my end and the other 2 guys on the team only want a set of badges as payment...should this convention NOT take place, I will personally find a company that I can send the images to and have a set of badges created for these guys I have brought together on this team and personally mail a set of badges to them and that is MY PROMISE to the guys on the badge team.

Michael W. Kellar
08-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Also, I AM NOT USING ANY of my money to get to the convention, pay for hotel for anything...my contract has certain stipulations and if Olney does not follow through with what the contract states then I WILL NOT go into "debt" for Olney.

MyNameIsNotLarry
08-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Just received my reply (yeah, that's right, I'm posting a private email, fook it)
Not always to read tone online but his reply comes across sorta dickish to me. Anyone else?

I knew I had read his name some place before btw. I looked, he's listed as contributing to the Untold Stories From Iraq & Afghanistan graphic novel. So basically the con, if it ever happens will have all the guests at the Heroes Fallen Studios table.

MyNameIsNotLarry
08-13-2011, 04:54 PM
I have been doing my own research and found things about Rick that I don't believe I have seen posted anywhere yet,
Perhaps you could post that information? It would help those people who he may try to get signed in the future. It may also, depending on what it is help the many people he owes money to.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 04:59 PM
https://www.facebook.com/michael.w.kellar

and

I have been doing my own research and found things about Rick that I don't believe I have seen posted anywhere yet, believe me if this convention does happen (which I personally hope it is canceled, because then it is his breach of contract) then I will never have any other dealings with Rick Olney and will remove all contact with him, but for now I am hovering in the background and watching what he is posting on the net because I am listed as attending the convention.
And before I get accused of anything else, I did put together a team to create convention badges...which I will personally see completed on my end and the other 2 guys on the team only want a set of badges as payment...should this convention NOT take place, I will personally find a company that I can send the images to and have a set of badges created for these guys I have brought together on this team and personally mail a set of badges to them and that is MY PROMISE to the guys on the badge team.

Michael, I can't speak for everyone, but I say that's totally fair.

Of course you should keep your word to the badge team, it's obviously not their fault what Rick did in the past.

I, for one, think it was stand up of you to come in here and say that.

Good for you, and thanks.

Tony Isabella
08-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Once again, if anyone now regrets signing a contract to attend Olney's alleged convention, they can send it to me and I will forward it to someone who will look it over free of charge to them.

Given that Olney's never shown any evidence of actually having an attorney, I would be amazed if the contracts he likely cobbled together from online sources would hold up.

But, as others have said, if you do feel you must honor the contract you signed, I hope you hold Olney to every letter of it. Don't travel at your own expense. Don't put the hotel room on your credit card. Don't walk into the convention unless you have received cash or a certified check for your appearance fee. (Yes, he had promised that to some people.)

I don't think there's a chance of this con actually happening. But don't pay for your airline tickers or travel expenses on a promise of later reimbursement. Others did that in the past and regretted it.

Got another busy week ahead, but I will make time to forward contracts and report any new developments.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Everything Tony said is dead on correct.

DO NOT believe a SINGLE word Rick says regarding money, do not take ONE BIT of it on faith. As much as Rick is trying to paint this as some weird
isolated incident, the list of people he has cheated is far, FAR too long to ignore.

I have no beef with anyone attending his event if they feel contractually obligated. But the mere fact that he felt this was NECESSARY to keep you
guys on the hook once you found out that he never, EVER keeps his word should be a serious warning sign.

I have been to probably a hundred conventions. I have signed probably three appearance contracts and THEY were mostly out of the country, which
is at least understandable.

J.R. LeMar
08-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Not always to read tone online but his reply comes across sorta dickish to me. Anyone else?

Yeah, that's why I felt no compunction against sharing it. And the email was listed as sent from a blackberry, so I'm willing to bet he did not even read any of the links I sent.

I knew I had read his name some place before btw. I looked, he's listed as contributing to the Untold Stories From Iraq & Afghanistan graphic novel. So basically the con, if it ever happens will have all the guests at the Heroes Fallen Studios table.

Already threw my copy away, so I can't check the credits, but I can't say I'm surprised.

Michael, I can't speak for everyone, but I say that's totally fair.

I agree, that sounds good. Still dying to see Olney's reaction to this.

Glenn Barbis Jr.
08-13-2011, 05:08 PM
WHY hasn't anyone with one of rick's contracts had them reviewed? Tony Isabella, a very respected comic icon, has offered to have someone look them over!!!
JUST DO IT IF YOU ARE REALLY SINCERE ABOUT RETHINKING YOUR APPEARANCE!!!

In the over 12 years Rick has been screwing people over, the most frustrating thing is seeing most of those people not follow thru on anything against Olney. I mean, look back and see that Mark F'N Waid offered to foot any legal bills...and nobody took him up on it. Unscrewed has offered to help people out against him, and again, nobody stepped up. WHY?!?!?!? Only three known judgements are publically known of, when he owes over $35,000 to various people.

And about that sick child of a creator that Rick had screwed over...remember Rick's heinous responses to that creator when that child was actually dying? A very sad time that Rick made worse. That alone is reason to never deal with Rick.

I personally knew Rick. I was a friend of his. And he tried to screw me over. Then he tried to bad-mouth me. Then he threatened me and my family. He's been doing this for over 12 years to many many others. And what threats has he ever followed thru on? None. What proof of his accomplishments has he ever proven? None. How many second chances have people given Rick? Too many to count. And how many of those chances did Rick deserve, or make good on? None.

Anyone owed or in current contracts with Rick Olney...FOLLOW THRU & STOP HIM! Use the tools of real lawyers, Unscrewed, or the many comic pro's out there to get advice and start legal procedings. Send Tony a copy of these contracts, and have them gone over, if you really do mean it when you say you now regret signing on. JUST FOLLOW THRU & STOP HIM FROM ANOTHER 12 YEARS OF THIS BULLSHIT!!!

Sorry for 'shouting' but it needs to be shouted sometimes.

Tony Isabella
08-13-2011, 05:12 PM
You know what never fails to amuse me? When Olney tries to disparage the character and reputation of Gail or myself. It's hilarious that he thinks anyone would give his sad little rants any heed.

His comments are so meaningless that I wouldn't waste a second refuting them.

MyNameIsNotLarry
08-13-2011, 05:14 PM
WHY hasn't anyone with one of rick's contracts had them reviewed?
Because in the contract it states if they show the contract to anyone they will have to pay Rick, One Million Dollars.

Or something like that. I wouldn't put it past Rick to try and say that even showing their contracts to someone is a violation. Though to be fair, Clayton D Murwin did say he had his lawyer look over the contract.

Also to Michael W Kellar, the link to your Deviant page was a very good start. I commend you for that. I didn't get what the link to your Facebook was supposed to mean. Could you explain further or post a more direct link to what we are supposed to see?

Tony Isabella
08-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Comics icon? You are too kind.

But it would look spiffy on a t-shirt.

J.R. LeMar
08-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Also to Michael W Kellar, the link to your Deviant page was a very good start.

Agreed, that's very good. I posted a link to it on the Bleeding Cool thread.

I didn't get what the link to your Facebook was supposed to mean. Could you explain further or post a more direct link to what we are supposed to see?

I assume he posted some kind of note on his FB page too.

Tony Isabella
08-13-2011, 05:19 PM
By the way, let me commend Michael for trying to do the right thing here. My offer to have his and any other Olney contracts for this alleged convention reviewed still holds.

As far as some clause prohibiting them from getting these contracts reviewed, my gut feeling is that such a clause would not be legal and might, all by itself, be grounds for terminating the contract.

But I won't put that as a definite until I run it by a legal consultant.

Glenn Barbis Jr.
08-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Not Larry...I doubt Olney has finally put together an iron-clad contract. And that whole "misrepresentation" thing is something I'm sure could be proven if Rick would fight it. And remember, Rick's crack "Leagal Teem" that he has on retainer told him not to go to court once. There is nothing that can stop anyone from having a contract looked at by a real professional lawyer.

Tony...I consider you an icon. But if you want, I could change it to "very well know, respected, and super nice guy."

Matt Doc Martin
08-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Stole part of your sig!

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 05:41 PM
I am putting Michael down in the 'Stand Up Guy' column at this point. His deviantart page clearly shows his sincerity here.

Welcome, Michael. And good luck. I will definitely be keeping an eye on your career and wishing you all successes.

johnwycough
08-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Yeah, that's why I felt no compunction against sharing it. And the email was listed as sent from a blackberry, so I'm willing to bet he did not even read any of the links I sent.

Already threw my copy away, so I can't check the credits, but I can't say I'm surprised.

I agree, that sounds good. Still dying to see Olney's reaction to this.

I replied via my BlackBerry because I was in the process of cooking dinner. I'm sorry for assuming, but I was thinking you were referring to the many articles & blogs that I had already read.

Yes, I inked a pinup over Clayton's pencils for the book. It was fun to do, and let me play with different textures as a lot of inkers like to do. I was happy to. Shouldn"t be a problem for anyone that I did it. Right?

As I stated in the email to J.R. in my contract are certain things that if they don't happen, I don't travel. Sounds like a simple thing to understand. (hope it happens, looking forward to visiting the area)

Hopefully this clears up any questions about me. Oh.... I heard about this con from fellow studio member if you were wondering. (someone mentioned it earlier)

Have a groovy day
-john

J.R. LeMar
08-13-2011, 05:49 PM
I replied via my BlackBerry because I was in the process of cooking dinner. I'm sorry for assuming, but I was thinking you were referring to the many articles & blogs that I had already read.

Which makes it even worse, then. You know all about his history, and you don't seem to care.

"We are supposed to be in an industry of tolerance & acceptance."

Which would come AFTER reparations and apologies are made, not while he still owes multiple people thousands of dollars.
But, hey-

I go to many, many cons in a year and feel that it would be beneficial for me to attend the Adirondack show.

The fact the he's spending money putting on a convention allegedly for charity while owing multiple people money is just fine with you, as long as YOU benefit. Groovy, indeed.

leftwingnutcase
08-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Good for you. I hope your friends, who, by the way are also a few of my friends, like that you're involving the reputation of a fine event like the Ithacon 36, II there in your little kitty litter box.

Rick, your "praise" of Ithacon is unwanted and disgusting. We at the Comic Book Club of Ithaca have been successful longer than any other comic book club in the country despite crooks like you, not because of you. Go take a long walk off a short cliff.

Tony Isabella
08-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Tony...I consider you an icon. But if you want, I could change it to "very well know, respected, and super nice guy."

Wouldn't fit on a t-shirt. :)

KJ!
08-13-2011, 05:58 PM
to: jim ritchey, I do pride myself on my wit, I know I'm no A list guest...and that at one time I did screw up, But as I stated I rectified my situation.(I thought that should set me apart from the accused?)
to: J.R. LeMar I just read all of your links, Not sure what to say about all of it except that is alot to take in, I have not talked to any of the parties involved aside from Rick nor has anyone contacted me. My contract has been signed and I am a man of my word. So I plan to attend if I do not.. Then the next thread will be about me and how I did not attend. As I for Rick's actions I can not speak for him.
to: Gail Simone It just sucks that I have become a target of another parties Quarrel. I got enough crap going on in my life! Do you realize how many dirty diapers twin newborns go through a day? As far as being in the same boat? Well I am fortunate as I do this as a hobby and not as a way of making a living. If I am screwed over, the only person to blame would be myself. I do wish I had all the facts from the beginning but I try not to assume everyone is Bad and trying to find a way to screw me so I do not Google everyone that I have dealings with. I guess it's another flaw of mine. I like to think that Everyone is good. I guess in the future I will scrutinize everyone I do business with. I hate the times we live in. Whatever happened to a mans word and a handshake??

Batjeepster - I was attempting to provide some clarification for people not really familiar with the world of prop-making.

However, you yourself just admitted, after a first post of denial, that you DID recast, so I don't see what info was incorrect, given my comments?

You say you don't do that anymore, good on you. You don't need to. Your stuff looks great.

I think you should definitely do one thing as a gesture of goodwill though, and remove the supposedly offensive photo you linked to. That's just not necessary.

And please, take advantage of the offers presented to you, to get out of this contract. I guarantee it's not as ironclad as you think, and I also basically guarantee that if you go to the con, you WILL end up out of pocket. You have new twins, right? Surely that money would be better spent on them, than lost to an incompetent senior citizen scammer.

johnwycough
08-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Dang. (ducking the hate coming my way) I just think it'll be cool to go to the show. People usually hate me because I like hair bands & quiche, or that i'm an inker. Now it seems they do because I want to go to a comic book show in an area I haven't been to.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Heh. I just noticed this cause I didn't read the whole thing.

"Well, I already know that Koop recalls that day vividly. He did work hard, based on the fantastic line-up of guests that were at the show, to offer his type of books to the public. And, didn't you just say that you only saw me during the day for "less than 30 seconds" .. yet now you state that I was following you around all day? Again, a lie...compounded by more of your imaginative and creative writing. Koop's pretty much sick of your droning on about all this too, I believe."

No, dipshit, I said I only saw you WORK for thirty seconds. Learn to read, you moron, you QUOTED me right above that!
Believe me, we would have LOVED to only seen you for 30 seconds. Hearing your boring bullshit bragging was
the worst part of a not good day.

Also: Who the fuck is Koop and why do I care what he says?

It's interesting you no longer use Dennis as your sole defender, isn't it? ;)

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 06:02 PM

Yes, I inked a pinup over Clayton's pencils for the book. It was fun to do, and let me play with different textures as a lot of inkers like to do. I was happy to. Shouldn"t be a problem for anyone that I did it. Right?

As I stated in the email to J.R. in my contract are certain things that if they don't happen, I don't travel. Sounds like a simple thing to understand. (hope it happens, looking forward to visiting the area)

Hopefully this clears up any questions about me. Oh.... I heard about this con from fellow studio member if you were wondering. (someone mentioned it earlier)

Have a groovy day
-john

John,

Thanks for coming here, and no one has any problem with you working for the Vets' tribute book. I think everyone involved respects that. I was going to do a story myself
before the oddball rants from some of the folks working on the book aimed at me.

Gail Simone
I have zero knowledge of a 'Koop.' Anyone know who Rick is ranting about now?

J.R. LeMar
Dang. (ducking the hate coming my way) I just think it'll be cool to go to the show. People usually hate me because I like hair bands & quiche, or that i'm an inker. Now it seems they do because I want to go to a comic book show in an area I haven't been to, that's being put on by Rick Olney who owes multiple people thousands of dollars that he has refused to pay for years and has a history of making racist, sexist, and homophobic insults against the very people that he has cheated. .

Fixed that for you.

KJ!
08-13-2011, 06:03 PM
This made my day: ''Oh, and the insults to me meant to punch a hole in my patriotism and how I served my country are really not a wise move. While I would never threaten you publicly, there is enough Marine left in me that I'd gladly cross your t's and dot your i's for you, given the chance in person. And yes, I now have to go put a band-aide on my tongue.

Time enough left for us to work out our differences. You just need to leave your balls ion the closet and bring your common sense, leave the ugly step sister at home and not invite your down home cousins to the legal brunch.''

Yeah Rick. Enough 'marine' left in you. All those fish-fingers you ate don't count for this, I'm afraid.

You're an overweight out-of-shape senior citizen with a brain not functioning at anywhere near capacity. The way to beat you in a fight? Walk up one step. You'd give up, as it'd be too much of a 'chase' for you.

Do you REALLY think you scare anybody? You're a joke, and your legal and physical threats are just as funny and PATHETIC. For one, even on your best day, I doubt your grasp of the English language is sufficient for you to dot i's and cross t's, anyway.

You're a threat to public hygiene, Rick, but that's it.

johnwycough
08-13-2011, 06:06 PM
lol J.R. you should be a news pundant. You add words swell. I'm going to go back to watching my Panthers vs Giants preseason game. Hoping for a six win season this year from the Panthers. Go Cats!

J.R. LeMar
08-13-2011, 06:09 PM
lol J.R. you should be a news pundant. You add words swell. I'm going to go back to watching my Panthers vs Giants preseason game. Hoping for a six win season this year from the Panthers. Go Cats!

Good idea, you don't need to say anymore. You've made your position, and your character, perfectly clear for all to see.

KJ!
08-13-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm just going to throw this out there (and keep in mind, this is personal opinion only, and doesn't refer to everyone, obviously.): how did SO many people of dubious moral character find each other for the same project?

Charles RB
I've got some questions but it looks like Glenn already covered them all:

WHY hasn't anyone with one of rick's contracts had them reviewed? Tony Isabella, a very respected comic icon, has offered to have someone look them over!!!
JUST DO IT IF YOU ARE REALLY SINCERE ABOUT RETHINKING YOUR APPEARANCE!!!

In the over 12 years Rick has been screwing people over, the most frustrating thing is seeing most of those people not follow thru on anything against Olney. I mean, look back and see that Mark F'N Waid offered to foot any legal bills...and nobody took him up on it. Unscrewed has offered to help people out against him, and again, nobody stepped up. WHY?!?!?!? Only three known judgements are publically known of, when he owes over $35,000 to various people.

And about that sick child of a creator that Rick had screwed over...remember Rick's heinous responses to that creator when that child was actually dying? A very sad time that Rick made worse. That alone is reason to never deal with Rick.

I personally knew Rick. I was a friend of his. And he tried to screw me over. Then he tried to bad-mouth me. Then he threatened me and my family. He's been doing this for over 12 years to many many others. And what threats has he ever followed thru on? None. What proof of his accomplishments has he ever proven? None. How many second chances have people given Rick? Too many to count. And how many of those chances did Rick deserve, or make good on? None.

Anyone owed or in current contracts with Rick Olney...FOLLOW THRU & STOP HIM! Use the tools of real lawyers, Unscrewed, or the many comic pro's out there to get advice and start legal procedings. Send Tony a copy of these contracts, and have them gone over, if you really do mean it when you say you now regret signing on. JUST FOLLOW THRU & STOP HIM FROM ANOTHER 12 YEARS OF THIS BULLSHIT!!!

Sorry for 'shouting' but it needs to be shouted sometimes.

KJ!
Dang. (ducking the hate coming my way) I just think it'll be cool to go to the show. People usually hate me because I like hair bands & quiche, or that i'm an inker. Now it seems they do because I want to go to a comic book show in an area I haven't been to.

Did you read ANYTHING?

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Wow, I didn't notice yet ANOTHER physical threat from Olney...Man, how many does that make?

Of course, we all know he's a coward, who will never show up to a con where people he's cheated are. AND we know he looks walking a single longbox a few feet up an incline
nearly sends him into a coma...

"Posted by Rick Olney at 12:34 PM 0 comments
Email This BlogThis! Share to Twitter Share to Facebook Share to Google Buzz
Word of the Radical One!

I never signed a contract with you, Rick. That's one of the reasons why I've always claimed I own all of the work I did for Tales of the Spooky.

Really? Hmmm... that means that you've just implicated certain people formerly handling those duties with fraud, or at least an inability to perform their job back then. I had heard the same thing of Chuckie D., and wasn't sure ... especially when this was the man that couldn't grant the initial request for a pay-out schedule to begin to start with. See, and I thought these things could only come out in a court of law.

You will never publish my work, Rick. NEVER. It doesn't belong to you.

I have never implied that it belonged to me. It won't belong to me until I pay for it via all the participants on that story, and that IS contractual with the other individuals if not (according to) you.
I also have merely informed you (and all) that the story files had to be paid for BY FILE so that each person having a hand in creating said file(s) were treated fair and equitably. Even after this length of time, while you may claim to have not signed a contract ... others have, and have acknowledged that both privately and (in some cases) publicly. So all you are doing is making my case for me should you head in the direction you are heading. What is that saying about fools? Oh, yeah, "A fool and his money are soon parted." I don't know to whom that quote is attributable...so forgive me, Radical One.

As far as that goes, I may just contact Ben Glendenning and Eliseu Gouveia to see if they would be interested in posting our stories FREE on the internet. That actually sounds like a good idea. We could put up a Paypal donation button and have all proceeds go to benefit a legitimate Veteran's organization. Maybe some other writers and artists burned by Tightlip would be interested in doing the same thing?

Burned? Nobody has been burned, as you put it. They have been inconvenienced, yes, but nobody has lost anything but time thus far. Of course, you, on the other hand seem to be motivated to try to help solve the problem of time. I have documentation to all the time wasted by the folks you hang around with, Radical One.

As for the rest of your bark-slobber (as Gail once called it), perhaps if you spent less time playing with toilets and more time keeping your business dealings organized, you'd actually be able to accomplish something with your life.

Thanks for the chuckle. I actually posted those toilets to share with all missing them, as indicated there in that forum, that toilets DO exist! No need to spread your crap or wallow in it. But the point was missed. I also shared with Matt Doc Martin that I was going to have something baked in November and that he was welcome to come on up and lick the bowl! I hope he shows up.

I actually have accomplished more than I had hoped this year thus far. Thanks for your concern.

Crap. I can't find the fully colored high-res images. I had them at one point. I do have some lo-res inked pages though. Maybe I can post those and add in the lettering myself with Photoshop.

My next question is, how does one set up a charity donation through Paypal? Is there a way to have the donations go directly to the charity? I'd prefer to handle it that way and not have the money come to me.

Well, you could... Don't worry about the legal complications. They'll get worked out soon.

Also, can anyone recommend a good Veteran's charity?

Why sure! Why not consider the one that UNSCREWED is going to be donating to!?

Thanks for the support, folks! I'm going to email Ben and Zue now to get their permissions to put up the stories.

Great! Do keep us updated, won't you?

As much as I like Gail's bark-slobber comment, I think I like James A. Owen's "Rick, you moron!" bit even more.

Very appropriate considering I just heard from Eliseu Gouveia regarding our story for TOTS. He's sent me some nice high-res inked pages. I plan to letter them in photoshop (unless someone professional wants to volunteer) and post them soon.

So, Rick, you lose! Zue and I will post our work, generate REAL donations for a REAL veteran's charity, and prove ourselves more successful and relevant than you!

Zeu and Ben Glendenning are amazing talents. Just two of the many you conned for "Tales of the Screwed". You totally "screwed" yourself with all of your false promises and bloated bragging. If you had been honest and told the creators that you had no up-front money, many of them probably would have stuck with you. You can check my own web site and see artwork from some outstanding artist, including Zue, Ben, Theo Bain, and even the legendary Ernie Colon. All of them did this artwork without any payment. Why? Because I was honest with them. Because I never promised them the moon. Because any time I could I used what meager resources and connections I had to help them, even as they helped me.

Assumptions on your part that I can prove otherwise, Radical One. You feel free to make your own decisions and lead those others into a place where they are implicated in a matter that I've stated these last 5 years would come down to being waged and decided in the court system... IF ... those involved did not work with me. I'm sure they'll appreciate your position, as they're placed with having to pay THEIR attorneys. Other can pooh-pooh that, as I am sure they will, but medical records will prove that out. Every single instance and even through all this jeering and harassment online. I should get a purple heart instead of the black and blue one that I have.

The only thing that has slowed me down is my cancer. I'm just about ready to open up the war chest, bedeck myself in face paint and look to watch scalps get taken.

It will be easy to show motivation and who versus who turned a deaf ear; let us not forget that 'ploy' about supposedly not having signed a contract. Court system can sort it out.

Truly successful men and women don't screw over other people to get on top. They make partnerships and alliances. That's why most of the people against you are infinitely more successful than you. Even me, a nobody who shares a last name with a guy who plays a boy wizard, even I have more professional credits than you. I graduated Ball State University (insert your juvenile jokes here) with Academic Honors in Writing. I won first place in the 1991 David Letterman Scholarship Competition. I've been published in Marion Zimmer Bradley's Fantasy Magazine, Cracked Magazine, Comics Buyers Guide, and Scary Monsters Magazine. My young adult fantasy novel, Noggle Stones, has been in print since 2003. I have FOUR graphic novels in the pipeline with Platinum Studios. The Hollywood Reporter even did a story about it. www.nogglestones.com/hollywood.jpg

(Folks, thanks for that momentary pause to allow Radical One to pontificate and boast to his accomplishments.)

Certainly wish you the best of luck with it all, mister. You will need any of that money gained to get back on your feet.

The best thing, Platinum actually PAID me for this work! You can post fake endorsements from Scott Mitchell Rosenberg all you want. I actually know the man and I've signed contracts with him. I know if you were actually on his radar he'd have never written any endorsements for you. Again, you take advantage of the sincerity and honesty of others to promote yourself, you scum!

You state that like you doubted it, mister. Though to be clear, that endorsement that I shared from Scott was not a fake. I wouldn't presume to say or think that I was on his 'radar' ... but he's an honorable man that I've long admired and supported. Platinum has been and had the best intentions on that last string of several events I tried to host back after 2003. But things happen and you're right about organization. Such is life. Oh, but you're sooooo insulting. Are you sure that you're ready for fame?

And all of this success was even before I had the misfortune to fall into your sinister circle of non-influence. Since then, Noggle Stones has been licensed as a youth archery line with 3Rivers Archery, the world's largest traditional archery supplier. It has been adapted as a card game through TOG Entertainment, and a role-playing game through Sanguine Productions (due out this month). TOG is already talking about expansions for the card game. Plus, I've had interest from studios for a film adaptation, and I've been invited to blog for a prominent publishing web site. Believe me, one of my first blogs will be about avoiding scam publishers like you, Rick!

And, I suspect that you're young enough and still not set in your aged ways to learn a lesson, Radical One. I am thrilled thought that your hot air balloon is filling and you feel that you're headed to the land of Fame and Fortune. It can be so fleeting, I've heard.

I absolutely love that it isn't you having trouble feeding your starving children, while guzzlin' your beer and partaking in those other evil things that rob a man's creativity. I just have to correct you though, Radical. It wasn't me that pitched anything AT you. It was a person that recognized your talent and wanted to give you a creative choice to exercise it. And, you now claim to have not signed a contract ... yet for years you've harassed and jeered me publicly, with your attempts to embarass me and certainly you've added your name to a couple of lists where legal means are an only path to clear this all.

So, in conclusion, Rick, you moron! You are a bug, an insect, a nothing. The least important microbe in the least important petri dish in the crappiest Al Qaeda camp in Islamabad is more significant and honorable than you. You're pathetic, worthless, and dishonorable. The only good you've ever done is unite the people you've cheated and lied to.

Oh, and the insults to me meant to punch a hole in my patriotism and how I served my country are really not a wise move. While I would never threaten you publicly, there is enough Marine left in me that I'd gladly cross your t's and dot your i's for you, given the chance in person. And yes, I now have to go put a band-aide on my tongue.

Time enough left for us to work out our differences. You just need to leave your balls ion the closet and bring your common sense, leave the ugly step sister at home and not invite your down home cousins to the legal brunch.

And the next time you post a tirade against me, be sure to put an "e" on the end of "Radicalcliffe".

Rick, you moron!

Sure thing! Looking forward to it. Although I think I'll let someone else handle that all for me from here on out. You and your kitty litter sandbox playmates go kick the crutches out from under some crippled people, make some more libelous bumper stickers, or join me in fishing without a license, asshole. "

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 06:15 PM
The scariest thing about Rick is his horrendous combover.

Matt Doc Martin
08-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Good idea, you don't need to say anymore. You've made your position, and your character, perfectly clear for all to see.

Another useless dirtbag.

J.R. LeMar
I do wish you could do a little editing when you repost Olney's blogs, Gail. Maybe bold the parts that are Olney's added comments, or if you want add your comments, so I can easily tell what's what when trying to read it.

Gail Simone
Now I'm all TERRIFIED that KOOP is going to say something hurtful! Oh, my god, not KOOP! Never KOOP!

Who the fuck is Koop again?

Matt Doc Martin
08-13-2011, 06:18 PM
What the sweet FUCK does "something baked" mean in relation to me? Is that a threat? If so, it is his weakest yet.

MyNameIsNotLarry
08-13-2011, 06:18 PM
From what I gather he's a comic book retailer from Maryland. He had a site http://www.koopscomics.com (http://www.koopscomics.com/) but it doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Edited to add. A look at the archive for his site shows his real name is Tim Kupin if that rings any bells?

Glenn Barbis Jr.
08-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Now I'm all TERRIFIED that KOOP is going to say something hurtful! Oh, my god, not KOOP! Never KOOP!

Who the fuck is Koop again?

You know who Koop is! Hwe was that guy that was there that day. You know...KOOP!!!

J.R. LeMar
08-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Still no mention of Michael Keller's very public denunciation of Olney and his convention?

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 06:20 PM
I do wish you could do a little editing when you repost Olney's blogs, Gail. Maybe bold the parts that are Olney's added comments, or if you want add your comments, so I can easily tell what's what when trying to read it.

Yeah, I suck at that, I didn't realize it would all come out a mess like that. Added to Rick's unfathomable gutter English skills, it's hard to follow. Sorry.

Michael W. Kellar
08-13-2011, 06:24 PM
I haven't seen these sites posted, I don't think, these are some that I found doing my own research after I signed the contract and I got a bit more curious about Olney...

Page #1 -http://rickolney.blogspot.com/
Page #2 - http://rickolney.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-09-24T20%3A28%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=7

http://www.inter-fan.org/Interfan2.htm

Now, don't take this the wrong way, I am not on here talking "junk" or trying to "slander", I am just posting links to sites that I have not seen posted before, as part of my own research on Olney.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 06:27 PM
From what I gather he's a comic book retailer from Maryland. He had a site http://www.koopscomics.com (http://www.koopscomics.com/) but it doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Edited to add. A look at the archive for his site shows his real name is Tim Kupin if that rings any bells?

It certainly doesn't. I mean, no offense, but I've been to a hundred conventions as a guest. I try to make friends with and talk to as many retailers as possible, but...

...I don't have a clue who this fellow is. If he's the guy that was furious at Rick, I made it VERY clear that I don't think he ever told me why, or that if he did,
I have forgotten. So I don't have a clue what he'd be upset about. He was a nice guy, I enjoyed meeting him. But that was eight years ago.

KOOP! Don't believe Rick's bullshit! :)

KJ!
08-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Michael, small point, but important when dealing with fraudsters like Olney.

When it's written, it's libel. Slander is spoken.

I'm also pretty sure the Inter-Fan site is run by Doc Absurd, a member here, and a great guy.

Glad you found those links. Hope they prove useful for you.

MacQuarrie
08-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Dude, I'm not going AFTER them, either. I have never heard of ANY of these people. Valerie assures me we have
talked before and I don't deny it at all, but I have absolutely no memory of it.
I wasn't speaking of you; there are a few comments that made me think the people involved were feeling attacked ("talking trash about me" was how one described it). I don't think that's necessary unless a particular individual is actively defending and advocating for Olney.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 06:31 PM
I haven't seen these sites posted, I don't think, these are some that I found doing my own research after I signed the contract and I got a bit more curious about Olney...

Page #2 - http://rickolney.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-09-24T20%3A28%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=7

Now, don't take this the wrong way, I am not on here talking "junk" or trying to "slander", I am just posting links to sites that I have not seen posted before, as part of my own research on Olney.

It's fine, Michael.
Thanks. The list of sites with people Rick has cheated or threatened or abused is
unending, it's like the distance from here to the sun.

Pretty sure you'll see the REAL Rick Olney for posting those, though, fair warning.
He's not known for acting sane when his history is brought up.

Greg S
08-13-2011, 06:32 PM
See, this is why I separate Clayton from the rest of these guys.

Rick clearly prepped them all, but only Clayton came in and admitted Rick's history. I still think he's fooling himself, and he clearly regrets his name being affiliated
with Rick in any capacity, hence asking no mention of his organization in any way as connected to Rick. And he has repeatedly acknowledged that Rick has a
history, and he has said that he wishes he had never agreed to attend this convention.

I understand this distinction, Gail, but what negates it for me is that he keeps throwing his associates into the Olney mill. Why is practically every guest of this "con" (many of them announced AFTER his supposed "regret") seemingly coming through Clayton?

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 06:32 PM
I wasn't speaking of you; there are a few comments that made me think the people involved were feeling attacked ("talking trash about me" was how one described it). I don't think that's necessary unless a particular individual is actively defending and advocating for Olney.

Agreed. I think the difference between a stand-up individual and the other kind becomes notable pretty quickly.

MacQuarrie
08-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Koop is a longtime CBR regular and a comic book dealer on the east coast. I've met him several times, had dinner with him, hung out with him at various conventions, and my son has worked for him as a helper monkey in his booth. He's good people, and I bet if I called him (I have his phone number right here if it hasn't changed since last I talked to him), I bet he'd give me an earful about Olney. I think I'll go ahead and do that little thing.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 06:34 PM
I understand this distinction, Gail, but what negates it for me is that he keeps throwing his associates into the Olney mill. Why is practically every guest of this "con" (many of them announced AFTER his supposed "regret") seemingly coming through Clayton?

Well, look, I don't want to put words in everyone's mouths. But I have serious doubts that Clayton is STILL sending his friends to Rick. If he is, he will very soon come to regret that decision.

MyNameIsNotLarry
08-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks for posting the links you found. Both have been linked before on multiple occasions. Understandable that you may have missed them.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Koop is a longtime CBR regular and a comic book dealer on the east coast. I've met him several times, had dinner with him, hung out with him at various conventions, and my son has worked for him as a helper monkey in his booth. He's good people, and I bet if I called him (I have his phone number right here if it hasn't changed since last I talked to him), I bet he'd give me an earful about Olney. I think I'll go ahead and do that little thing.

If he was the retailer I met in that room with the big tables, he was NOTHING BUT NICE to me. Please let him know that whatever freakish spin Rick has on this.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks for posting the links you found. Both have been linked before on multiple occasions. Understandable that you may have missed them.

Yeah, it's hard when there's FIFTY MILLION BILLION posts on this thing! :)

Also, I WAY overestimated the number of twitter followers Rick has.

Rick has >gasp< 36 followers, and Comic_fest has ELEVEN.

My DOG has more followers than that and he doesn't even have a Twitter account.

This is going to be the biggest convention in history that no one ever wanted to go to or ever heard of.

J.R. LeMar
08-13-2011, 06:39 PM
If it's info that hasn't been reported here yet that you want, let's all remember this:

As first reported by Gail Simone on August 8, 2008 (http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showpost.php?p=7294366&postcount=43333)

Hello,

My name is Cesar Feliciano and I am part of that dubious list of Rick Olney's work for hire artist. I have been waiting for almost two years to recieive my fist penny from Mr. olney and I thank God that I did not hold my breath for that (I'd be one dead artist by this time). I have been wieghing my options and am thankful that there is comraderie and commonality that we all share. I look forward to posting more info and friendly post as I get to know more and more people on this site.

While working with Rick Olney and his now defunct TightLip Entertainment comics company, I was responsible for the pencils on Monster Squad and did many pin-ups and character designs for Mr. Olney.

I to like many here was made many promises and assurances that were never met or followed through with. This has left me with a bad taste in my mouth and a certain level of displeasure with this man.

Throughout my whole experience with Mr. Olney I was told how important and vital I was to the project that I was working on and how there were many great plans that included me. I bought into many of these stories only to be left with nothing but empty and vain words.

I gave up much while I was working with Mr. Olney and really felt that this would be my opportunity to finally see my dream of making it in the comics business come to fruition. I lost my job during the time that I was working with Rick Olney and TightLip Entertainment.

To give you an example of what this man does and is about let me share this story with you. When I lost my job I was down to a few dollars in my bank account. I told Mr. olney about my situation and he told me that he would like to help me out. I wanted to thank him because I have 5 kids and I needed to buy them some groceries so that they could eat.

He proposed that I do a couple of pin-ups for him and told me that he would pay me a cetain amount for them. I was thankful for this opportunity and told him that I would get right on it. I proceeded to get 2 fully penciled and inked done, foregoing sleep to get these to him so that I could get the money for my families needs. Needless to say I did the work and was assured that payment was sent out. Three days go by and still no check.

i called him and he told me that his bookeeper never wrote the check but that he would get it taken care of post haste. Another three days goes by and when I asked him about the money he told me that he had to get rid of the bookeeper and hire a new one, keep in mind that I still had no work and no income and our food was running out quickly.

He told me that the check was sent out. four days go by and still no check. I called him again and he told me he apologized and said he would write the check from his own checking account, I was very wary at this time but told myself that I did what he asked and he would pay me.

Big, big, and wrong assumption. After a week I called him back and he told me that had not yet mailed that check. I reminded him that HE had offered to help me and my family out. HE was the one that requested these images from me. also that HE was the one was had not kept the agreement. He said that he was sorry and that HE would make it up to me.

There is a little more to this story but you get the point. This is NOT a nice man. He has shown that he is cold hearted and uncaring and not someone that can be trusted. I thank God that my family pitched in and helped out with my need.

Here are the images prepared for Mr. Olney:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/4...4013267f_b.jpg ( http://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/4...4013267f_b.jpg)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/102/288218361_2b2f39bd0c_o.jpg (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/102/2...2f39bd0c_o.jpg)

Needless to say I am not pleased with Mr. Olney or his practices and I know that people like him get what they deserve in the end. This man is nothing but a wrecker of dreams and a scourge to the honest hard working people involved in this industry who do things above board and desire to make comics because they LOVE it.

My name is Cesar Feliciano (http://www.facebook.com/people/Cesar-Feliciano/1450264185) and this is one of my stories.

But, hey, who doesn't have a "checkered past"? @ least inker-extraordinaire John Wycough might get to take a trip to the mountains in November. Should be fun.

DocAbsurd
08-13-2011, 06:40 PM
And over on his other blog (http://tightliptales.blogspot.com/2011/06/to-tim-tobolski.html), he's claiming I haven't sent my home address. Which I did through FB and I was smart enough to save the entire conversation. Although he doesn't seem to have done so, despite his claims that he keeps ALL email correspondence since the beginning of time. He's also blocked me from commenting on that particular blog.

Michael, I'm the Tim Tobolski he's complaining about on that blog. I'm also the one that 'ticked' him and others off by only doing the one panel he begged me to and not the three he's claiming here (http://sequentialsoul.blogspot.com/2011/08/rather-small-world-of-creative-writing.html). Which really doesn't make sense since there were only three panels that day and he's claiming I sat in on them. And believe me, I was one of his strongest supporters and friends. Allow me to quote:

What ticked me and others off was that Tim Toboloski was brought by train at our expense, along with his room and such, to specifically conduct the 3 Panel Discussions and he had to be constantly looked for.

That's how he treats his guests, Michael. One day you're his top creator, the one he's depending on to host a panel at his non-annual con; the next you 'really ticked' him off.

The hell with your own research; read what's going on right NOW. There's not a single contract lawyer in the world that's gonna back up his wet-nap leaggle terms.

DocAbsurd
08-13-2011, 06:42 PM

I'm also pretty sure the Inter-Fan site is run by Doc Absurd, a member here, and a great guy.

No, Doc Boucher runs Inter-Fan. I'm just a crumb-catcher.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/DocABsurd206/crumbcatchershirt.jpg

Shurato2099
08-13-2011, 06:43 PM
My DOG has more followers than that and he doesn't even have a Twitter account.

Which dog, if one might be so bold as to ask?

J.R. LeMar
08-13-2011, 06:43 PM

I sent a link to that blog to Clayton Murwin months ago via Facebook. That's where I got the images of the scanned copies of the judgments against Olney in the Scott Reed and Jim Tournas case, and I eventually got the idea that I should create the posts that I did showing what lead up to those cases, and how Olney reacted afterward.

bert
08-13-2011, 06:46 PM
I have zero knowledge of a 'Koop.' Anyone know who Rick is ranting about now?

100% great guy.

(I emailed him yesterday, but haven't heard back yet).

Dunno what pRicky is saying now, but Koop is 100% good.

J.R. LeMar
08-13-2011, 06:46 PM
I only have 45 followers on Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/JR_LeMar):sad:

But I've got 30,500 friends on Myspace! (http://www.myspace.com/johnrichardlemar):cool:

WilRadcliffe
08-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Just an FYI, the full Lord Percy's Eyes story is now up...

http://www.nogglestones.com/lordpercy.htm

I apologize for the lettering. I probably should have posted Zeu's artwork by itself instead of cluttering up all of that beautiful artwork with my meager words.

Shurato2099
08-13-2011, 06:48 PM
I have no followers on Twitter and can't for the life of me figure why the three people who've asked to follow me wanted to do so in the first place. I'm actually quite uninteresting for the most part.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Which dog, if one might be so bold as to ask?

Well, Static (named after Static Shock, created by the great Dwayne McDuffie!) has 111 and 'Scuro has 231 (he's more social).

Also, none of them cheat friends with sick children at Christmas, so of course, that helps.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 06:53 PM
I have no followers on Twitter and can't for the life of me figure why the three people who've asked to follow me wanted to do so in the first place. I'm actually quite uninteresting for the most part.

Oh, my god, that is SO UNTRUE.

What's your twitter, am I following you?

Shurato2099
08-13-2011, 07:02 PM
shurato2099, same as here. And no, m'lady, nobody follows me that I know of ... not that I generally have much to say, honestly.

J.R. LeMar
08-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Also, regarding the contractual obligations thing, how come Dave Ryan and Dave Hoover were able to drop out (according to Rich Johnston's report (http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/showthread.php?45890-So-Who-Is-Actually-Going-To-Rick-Olney-s-Comic-Con-In-November)) once they found out about Olney's past. Did they not have contracts yet, despite already being promoted as guests? Or were their contracts different? Or did they just say fook it, I'm not going, knowing Olney can't really do anything about it? Benn Dunn and Mort Todd talked about going to look for more information, but neither mentioned being unable to cancel if they wanted to. I find that odd.

Tom Stillwell
08-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Today Clayton and I spoke at length. Either Clayton is the greatest actor in the history of acting or he's a genuine guy trying to make the best of a bad situation. I think he's being genuine. Here are the highlights.

1. Clayton wishes to God he never signed up with Rick. They aren't friends. In typical Olney fashion, Rick used Clayton to get his creators from the charity anthology to sign up for the con...before Clayton himself had decided to go to the con or not. Once they were signed Clayton felt he needed to stick by his creators. He does not work with Olney and he's not doing any work for the convention.

2.Clayton had done work with Olney in the past for which Clayton says he was paid.

3. Olney has promised a number of things to Clayton like an attendance fee and paid travel expenses. Clayton will not attend unless Rick follows through with these promises in advance and will consider their contract breached. Clayton is now aware of the numerous instances of Rick promises things to get people to come to his conventions or do work for him but never following through.

4. Clayton's main concern is for this situation to effect his charity work he is trying to do for the troops. Clayton had tears in his eyes when he spoke about soldiers so I believe his heart to be in the right place.

So, I'd like people to take a step back from casting Clayton in the same mold with Olney. Rick is a selfish, petty and ignorant man. Clayton is not the same. I've met the man face to face. That counts for something.

J.R. LeMar
08-13-2011, 07:20 PM
You should add that to be BC thread, to keep it up to date.

KJ!
08-13-2011, 07:21 PM
A moment of disappointment.

Wycough has worked on my beloved Transformers, and one of my favourite stories: Last Stand Of The Wreckers.

Damn.

Michael W. Kellar
08-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Tom - I agree, Clayton is a VERY good friend of mine and my being former military (Desert Storm Vet - US Navy 1991-1993 & Army National Guard 2001-2006), he called me on the phone one day and explained to me the idea of the GN and asked what did I think and I told him it was a good idea and that we should do it to help our troops and their families.

KJ!
08-13-2011, 07:24 PM
http://comicbookinker1971.deviantart.com/journal/43220582/

Read the comments, folks.

Now THAT is the actions of a stand-up guy.

Well done, Michael. Good to see how you're handling this, hopefully it sets an example for some of your colleagues.

Artful Angie
08-13-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm only going to give this bit to reply to Ricky Poo-Poo's blatherings.

What about the national economy or how you've 'painted' all comic book talents to the community of Mohawk or Old Forge? They think you're all very childish, from what I've been able to gather. They also place no credit behind the personage of "Artful Angie" and while I have been asked by a few people to share Angie's identity ... I can't. As I've stated before, I'm going to get my ass chewed for posting this way to the matters. Better left to discovery and motivation, as I'm instructed. But I am strong willed and stupid at times.

So in other words YOU WERE AND STILL ARE FULL OF SHIT, RICK! You're no closer to figuring out who I am than you ever have. Or else, I hope you don't mind this "attorney" you have that billed you for working on a Saturday by telling you to keep your clapper... or in your case, crapper.. shut about who I am.

HELLO SHANE AND MICHAEL!!!

If YOU feel this is an opportunity to sell your wares, then do this: Go look at the pictures RICK HIMSELF posted about his CrappyCon 2003. And don't let him BS you. IF those photos were from before the doors opened that Saturday, then they would be pictures of THE VENDORS SETTING UP THE TABLES!!! Not of the three people who showed up at his con walking the aisles.

NOW

Go look up and DO YOUR RESEARCH on any of the following stores in the Utica and Syracuse areas:

Ravenswood, Utica NY
Cloud City Comics, Syracuse NY
Comix Zone, Syracuse NY
King Of Comics, Syracuse NY
Play The Game Read The Story, Syracuse NY

DO THE RESEARCH on each of these stores, and ask yourself: which of these options would be a better opportunity to sell my wares?? A con that NO ONE is going to? Or a busy store with LOTS of foot traffic and great locations?

I have no plans to drive to Old Forge and put money in Rick Olney's pocket ever again! And I'm someone that Rick states he knows personally! So what makes you think ANYBODY is going to the con?

I'd rather pull out the smartphone while I'm at the mall going to Cloud City Comics that day and watch on his little streaming video he plans to send to those brave troops that can't be scammed out of money by Rick while there too busy doing that trivial (to Rick) stuff like defending their country!!

It's a no-brainer. Have Tony look at your contracts, Let Rick foot the bill for a trip to Central New York, and sell some shit to actual people. Oh, and by all means,

AVOID THE SMELL OF OLNEY!! Once you go to his scam and catch a whiff of his odor on your reputation the stink will last for years on yours.

MacQuarrie
08-13-2011, 07:29 PM
I have 85 followers and I am a complete nobody with no delusions about my supposed importance in comics or anywhere else.

KJ!
08-13-2011, 07:32 PM
No, Doc Boucher runs Inter-Fan. I'm just a crumb-catcher.

Whoops. My apologies, mate.

MyNameIsNotLarry
08-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Today Clayton and I spoke at length. Either Clayton is the greatest actor in the history of acting or he's a genuine guy trying to make the best of a bad situation. I think he's being genuine. Here are the highlights.
Tom, thank you for having the conversation and reporting back here what was said.

One thing in particular stood out to me that I wonder if you may have added information on. The person posting here using the name semiwriter stated that Clayton would be ensuring that no veterans groups would be scammed by Rick. If Clayton is not working with Rick, is he still somehow making sure this won't happen? Does he happen to know which veteran groups Rick is claiming this convention will benefit?

Since you didn't say, I assume it never came up during your conversation but thought I'd ask as both answers would be of great interest to me.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Tom, thank you. That squares with my impression of Clayton.

I think he's a decent guy who got stuck in a bad position and regrets it.

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Tom - I agree, Clayton is a VERY good friend of mine and my being former military (Desert Storm Vet - US Navy 1991-1993 & Army National Guard 2001-2006), he called me on the phone one day and explained to me the idea of the GN and asked what did I think and I told him it was a good idea and that we should do it to help our troops and their families.

Really glad to hear that, Michael, and thank you for your service!

Michael W. Kellar
08-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Really glad to hear that, Michael, and thank you for your service!

Thank you Gail!

Michael W. Kellar
08-13-2011, 08:23 PM
To Gail and all the people on here I my have offended,

I apologize for coming off like a "piss ant" or something of the nature.
The more I read today about Olney, the more my eyes opened up and the more I realized that I made a mistake...I was flattered by the things that were offered in my contract and with this being my 3rd convention to setup at, I just couldn't believe that someone would offer me such things...I am a "No Body" in this industry.
I ask that you accept my sincere apology and believe that I am only abiding by the contract that I signed, if I could get out of it I would, because I REALLY do not want to go to ACF 2011.

~Michael

Tom Stillwell
08-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Tom, thank you for having the conversation and reporting back here what was said.

One thing in particular stood out to me that I wonder if you may have added information on. The person posting here using the name semiwriter stated that Clayton would be ensuring that no veterans groups would be scammed by Rick. If Clayton is not working with Rick, is he still somehow making sure this won't happen? Does he happen to know which veteran groups Rick is claiming this convention will benefit?

Since you didn't say, I assume it never came up during your conversation but thought I'd ask as both answers would be of great interest to me.

I don't know who this semiwriter was or how they planned to ensure anything concerning Olney.

The main thing Clayton and I talked about is that since Olney is a complete failure and disastrously inept the likelihood of him actually having to go to Rick's convention is pretty slim.

Michael W. Kellar
08-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Just wanted to share something I wrote over on deviantART - http://news.deviantart.com/article/158606/

Gail Simone
08-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Michael, you have zero to apologize for. I think everyone here thinks you are nothing but a stand-up guy and you did your country proud, and if we're ever at the same con together, I am buying you a beer.

You're keeping your word and your contract, but it's clear your motives are about honor.

You are a class act.

SarahBeach
08-14-2011, 12:03 AM
I know this is going back a few pages now, but ... there was just something about the way John posted that I wanted to comment on ....

I hope he does understand that nobody has a problem with him working on the book. Or with being an inker (particularly since there are a number of such around here).

But I get the feeling from the way he has posted here (in the three posts so far) that he might perceive this thread as just being another "ordinary" board discussion (in spite of the presence of Gail and Tony Isabella). I don't think he's paying attention to the fact that many of the people posting are talented people who are also working in the business -- perhaps with profiles not much higher than his is right now, but serious about the business none-the-less. These aren't fanboys, John, not when it comes to the business. They may have been once, but after dealing with Olney, I think all of us have learned a great deal more about professional conduct.

I'm not even going to make too much of a comment about your impulse to "go to a comic book show in an area I haven't been to." Particularly since, if we all go back to read Tony's own story of the 2003 MMC, he made a similar decision: the MMC was near enough to Cooperstown that he used the occasion for a greater bit of travel pleasure with his son.

We all understand this impulse, John. What we are boggling at is the apparent fact that you are blithely ignoring the reports of how badly that impulse comes off when dealing with Olney.

So in the end, we're going to throw our hands up in the air, and say "Live and learn." And I hope you make alternate plans for that weekend, because seriously, nobody around here believes that Olney will come up with the funds for the transportation of all of his named guests to this teeny-tiny event (which apparently is not yet even BOOKED for its location -- or at least, I have not seen confirmation of that fact). We have no expectation of him pulling this off, we have seen no confirmation of the basics of holding an event, other than a bunch of names of people he's talked into being his "headliners".

My recommendation: don't go on expecting that you're going to be seeing any of upstate New York in November, and certainly not on that weekend. Unless you go on your own dime.

Gail Simone
08-14-2011, 04:25 AM
Well, it certainly sounds like another huge Rick Olney success. Don't tell the guests of your long history of non-payment, erratic behavior, lack of organizational and promotional skills, terrible reputation in the industry, and many, MANY conventions canceled with no notice. Promise them the moon, flatter them beyond reason, pretend, after eight years of being an ass to everyone you've cheated that you suddenly CARE about paying your debts (same trick you always pull but NEVER follow through on whenever you plan to make a public appearance, this is not a new pattern of deception), and make them sign contracts so they can't get out when they find out how no name guests want anything to do with you under ANY circumstances.

Too bad freelancers can communicate now, huh, Rick?

Tom Stillwell
08-14-2011, 04:46 AM
How sad is it when you have guests of your convention publicly disavowing you and only going in order to fulfill a contract? Yeah, that has the makings of a great show.

Gail Simone
08-14-2011, 04:52 AM
I have never seen anything like it.

Maybe it was a TERRIBLE MISCALCULATION to invite people who have some personal integrity?

Gail Simone
08-14-2011, 05:27 AM
Wow.

I think Rick is going to regret inviting a couple of these people. They are not the type to ignore his behavior. Wow.

Tony Isabella
08-14-2011, 05:58 AM
UPDATE:

I've received an Olney convention contract for review and will be forwarding it to someone to do just that. I haven't looked at it myself yet because I'm working away on a couple of other projects.

I will not reveal the name of the person who sent me the contract or the name of the person who I spoke with over the phone to anyone other than Gail and the people reviewing these contracts.

My aim remains the same. To help people who have been or are likely about to be cheated by Olney and to prevent him (as much as humanly possibly) from scoring new victims.

My advice also remains the same. When someone contacts you to appear at their convention or do work for them or enter into any other business venture, Google them.

More later, though probably much later.

WilRadcliffe
08-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Well, unlike Olney, I kept my word. On Friday I made promise to upload Lord Percy's Eyes for people to read, and by Saturday it was done. It didn't take 5 years of stalling, bullying, and blowing hot air.

That being said, I'm going to be taking a break from this thread for a while. I hadn't intended to post at all, but seeing how Olney had scammed yet another group of honest and decent human beings, I felt I had to speak up.

Besides, I need to get ready for a new edition to the "Radicalcliff" family. My wife will be giving birth to a bouncing baby boy on Friday. I plan to raise him to be a honorable man who will stand up to bullies and liars like Olney.

And before Olney decides to call me a coward for quitting the flame war, he should realize that all of my old posts shall remain here, even if I'm not contributing anything new to the thread. For good or ill they will stand as a record of my opinions. While, if history is any indicator, Olney is certain to delete his feces-filled toilets and senseless gibberish within the next few days. Even if he doesn't, the damage is done. His convention guests have seen his true colors, and even have evidence of threats of physical violence. I suspect even if he does get any of them to show up at his convention, they'll show all the enthusiasm of a Siberian Gulag Mime Troupe.

Artful Angie
08-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Tony, and/or Michael,

When the opportunity presents itself, would you be able to share the salient details of a Olney-based contract?

Gail Simone
08-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Well, unlike Olney, I kept my word. On Friday I made promise to upload Lord Percy's Eyes for people to read, and by Saturday it was done. It didn't take 5 years of stalling, bullying, and blowing hot air.

That being said, I'm going to be taking a break from this thread for a while. I hadn't intended to post at all, but seeing how Olney had scammed yet another group of honest and decent human beings, I felt I had to speak up.

Besides, I need to get ready for a new edition to the "Radicalcliff" family. My wife will be giving birth to a bouncing baby boy on Friday. I plan to raise him to be a honorable man who will stand up to bullies and liars like Olney.

And before Olney decides to call me a coward for quitting the flame war, he should realize that all of my old posts shall remain here, even if I'm not contributing anything new to the thread. For good or ill they will stand as a record of my opinions. While, if history is any indicator, Olney is certain to delete his feces-filled toilets and senseless gibberish within the next few days. Even if he doesn't, the damage is done. His convention guests have seen his true colors, and even have evidence of threats of physical violence. I suspect even if he does get any of them to show up at his convention, they'll show all the enthusiasm of a Siberian Gulag Mime Troupe.

Wil, we all get Olney fatigue. No worries. I got so I couldn't even look at his name, because it made me want to vomit just looking at it, especially after how he treated Caesar.

Congratulations on the new baby, that's wonderful news!

Tony Isabella
08-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Angie...I can't respond to that until I've had a chance to review the contract myself and have it reviewed. However, if I find aspects of the contract that are egregious, illegal inappropriate, or suspicious, I will alert people to those aspects.

JTPencils
08-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Wouldn't fit on a t-shirt. :)

Sure it would Tony... that's why Tshirts have a front and a back.... you just have to know how to space it out properly!! I think it would look great.

JTPencils
08-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Heck, I'm attending a small press con in Sept...

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp286/JTPencils/Artwork%20Album/223771_10150273019064437_733739436_7243729_1726546 _n.jpg

And the thing is... unlike a Olney CON (accent on the con)... I KNOW this one's going to happen... and actually have attendees!! Stop by if you're in the area!

Jim Ritchey
08-14-2011, 08:48 AM

1. Clayton wishes to God he never signed up with Rick. They aren't friends. In typical Olney fashion, Rick used Clayton to get his creators from the charity anthology to sign up for the con...before Clayton himself had decided to go to the con or not. Once they were signed Clayton felt he needed to stick by his creators. He does not work with Olney and he's not doing any work for the convention.

2.Clayton had done work with Olney in the past for which Clayton says he was paid.

3. Olney has promised a number of things to Clayton like an attendance fee and paid travel expenses. Clayton will not attend unless Rick follows through with these promises in advance and will consider their contract breached. Clayton is now aware of the numerous instances of Rick promises things to get people to come to his conventions or do work for him but never following through.

4. Clayton's main concern is for this situation to effect his charity work he is trying to do for the troops. Clayton had tears in his eyes when he spoke about soldiers so I believe his heart to be in the right place.

So, I'd like people to take a step back from casting Clayton in the same mold with Olney. Rick is a selfish, petty and ignorant man. Clayton is not the same. I've met the man face to face. That counts for something.

Yep. That's what I got from him last Saturday. Genuine angst.

J.R. LeMar
08-14-2011, 09:11 AM

And it was a very good story, too. I enjoyed it. And I really need to take a break as well, like I said yesterday. Having had a 2-hour refresher course on Olney's history was maddening. Seeing his vile behavior and impotent threats (he's been threatening Gail will lawsuits and ominous threats about how her career is going to be suffering "soon" for the past 4 1/2 years, and he's STILL doing it!) is just too much. But now I can't help checking back just to see how he's going to try to spin the fact that two of his earliest major guests are now publicly disavowing him and declaring that they're only going because they signed contracts that they wish they hadn't signed. And one of them has posted two public warnings against anyone doing business with Rick Olney. That's gotta hurt!

But, well, he's still got John Wycough as an enthusiastic backer, so that shows what a success Olney is.

Gail Simone
08-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Look, like I said, give the people a chance to let it sink in what Rick's history really is. Everyone came in with the same attitude but several changed their minds in a hurry when they saw the truth.

John may totally change his mind at some point.

Gail Simone
08-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Not my personal experience, but the most common pathology as I remember it: Olney promises the world to a creator or publicist, etc., 'just sign this here (moronic and poorly worded) NDA', they work their ass off--then no money exchanges hands, and nothing gets published. For months, often dragging to years. The creator (or other type of contractor) starts wondering 'WTF?', and asks him about it. Rick blows his fucking stack on the person, and accuses them of conspiracy or being a bad person for asking him for what he promised. The creator, etc., asks others if they've had similar problems, at which point they've violated the NDA, in a special 'A-HA!!!' moment that Olney seems to treasure, since it 'proves' the conspiracy (although it's completely invalidated by Rick's own lack of ability to accomplish anything--EVER).

Rinse and repeat.

The flattery thing is the key. He flatters you to the point of embarrassing asskissing, like a lapdog who can't believe you're even SPEAKING to him...it's disgusting.

Then the moment you do the work or show up at the con, all of that disappears and he starts dodging every bill and every check, never EVER holds up his end of anything,
and gossips horribly about even his supposedly 'close friends.' Has nothing good to say about anyone, ever, EVERYONE is out to get him.

It's just classic projection. He cheats everyone he meets, so he thinks everyone else does.

Artful Angie
08-14-2011, 10:08 AM
My opinion now is that the only guests that will be announced in the future will be other co-workers, or cohorts, of Clayton's. Even though he's claiming to be on record as regretting signing on the dotted line for this scam it's not keeping him from telling others not to get under the contract and arrive.

So here's my opinion now: WE ALL JUST NEED TO STOP!

Because here's the fact: NO ONE is going to this con. The word has been spread in all the store in Utica, Syracuse and Albany. The Internet is crammed to the rafters with tales of Rick's past scams. So the only people going to this thing are Rick, his family (a.k.a. the volunteers) and Clayton and his battalion of talent. And we've said all we need to say to them on the subject.

If Rick DOES pay for their expenses, then they get a free trip to a cute little Adirondack town in November. No one will go to this con, so they all get to hang out in a community center building talking to each other.

If Rick DOESN'T pay for their tickets, then they get to spend the whole weekend doing the same thing, but this time they get to fill those minutes and hours watching Rick dodge questions about when they'll be reimbursed. And Rick doesn't get the opportunity to duck into another room to dodge those questions, unless he plans to spend the whole weekend in a bathroom stall.

In either case, I'll fell a little bad for them, but I'll just start preparing my "I told you so" responses now for the comments that will be posted here just before Thanksgiving, where Clayton and his crew tell us how bad the con was, how few people there were, how they were not reimbursed a thin dime yet, and how Rick is spewing his usual "The con was SUCH A GREAT EVENT I PLANNED, but that sad sack cretin Clayton and his ungrateful scumbags he works with are trying to sully my name! Have a toilet and get a grip, Clayton! You'll be hearing from my lawyer if you don't stop!"

Thanksgiving. And Christmas. And Easter. And 4th Of July. All of 2022.

Gail Simone
08-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Again, from Brian at CBC

"Hello, everyone.

I am finally going to do something that I should have done months and even years ago and that is to come out and admit that I am one of the "screwed." Since 2000 when I launched my site, Comic Book Conventions.com, I have only had 3 promoters fail to live up to our agreements, but the first of those, and the only one of those who actually owe me money is Rick Olney.

My story is not a long or an overly complicated one so I am going to be brief. My dealings with Rick Olney go back to 2003/2004 when he asked to advertise his Mighty Mini-Con on my site. I created an animated gif for him that I was quite proud of, and because up to this point, I had never had anyone not pay their bill, I went and ahead and put the ad up without receiving payment first. Rick never sent payment. He asked multiple times for an invoice. Multiple times I sent one. No payment. Eventually, his convention passed, and I eventually took his ad down. Later, he wanted to advertise his next convention. Foolishly, with him promising to pay what he owed as well as for the new ad, I created a new ad and put that up on the site as well. Again, I never received payment. Over time, I became slower and slower to post any new announced conventions of Rick's...either the Mighty Mini-Con or The Spooky. I wanted to stop listing his conventions altogether, but he kept lining up talent for them, and I was concerned about hurting their chances at doing well at the conventions. And although I did not prevent Rick from posting about his conventions on our message board, I eventually stopped posting them to the front of the site. Rick and I exchanged e-mails several times as he was upset about the lack of publicity he was receiving. I kept telling him if he would pay his bill, things could go back to normal, but of course, there were only more empty promises, and no money was ever sent. I'll never forget him telling me that owing people money was part of doing business. It wasn't how I was doing business, and my website was not in debt to anyone.

Anyway, I could go on, but you get the idea. I ran ads for his convention twice and never received any payment. I consider myself lucky as it was not a significant amount of money, and I have never been dependent on the site as my primary source of income. I realize I am a lot luckier than many of the creators he has screwed over whose livelihoods depend on their art.

For the record, I will state that I will never again list any convention or take any advertising from any convention that he is associated with, and I will repeat that statement on my website as well.

Thanks to Joanne Mutch for contacting me about all this even if I am several months slow in finally posting here. She pointed out that my banner was running on the Mighty Mini-Con site. To address that, although I did send Rick a banner several years ago, it was at his request. At the time, I figured some links back were the only thing I was going to get for my time and money. After Joanne contacted me and let me know my banner was still on there, I contacted Rick and asked the banner be removed. He said it would be done when his webmaster could get to it. I don't believe it ever was taken down until his whole site went down. I did get in touch with a lawyer friend of mine, and if he ever puts it up again, I will look further into legal action.

Brian Pate, Owner
Comic Book Conventions.com

PS - I will also add that I was contacted by someone off the record a couple of years ago who told me about Rick screwing over a prominent Star Wars actor as well, one who does many conventions. He had appeared at one of Rick's conventions and paid his own expenses with the promise of reimbursement by Rick. At the time, he had never received that reimbursement, but I don't know if anything ever happened with that, and I don't want to say the names involved because I was asked not to."

Is there ANYONE left in comics for Rick to cheat?

Jim Ritchey
08-14-2011, 11:30 AM
The flattery thing is the key. He flatters you to the point of embarrassing asskissing, like a lapdog who can't believe you're even SPEAKING to him...it's disgusting.

Then the moment you do the work or show up at the con, all of that disappears and he starts dodging every bill and every check, never EVER holds up his end of anything,
and gossips horribly about even his supposedly 'close friends.' Has nothing good to say about anyone, ever, EVERYONE is out to get him.

It's just classic projection. He cheats everyone he meets, so he thinks everyone else does.

Interesting point about his two-faced behavior, even with his 'friends'. A sociopath doesn't have friends, he has helpers, and a seething contempt for anyone who threatens his view of himself--in other words, anyone who can do anything better (in Ricky-Boy's case that's everybody). My whole initial problem with him was the fact that he was a closet (at least of the forum--read horrible shit elsewhere) dumbass, racist, xenophobe and homophobe, and we fought about politics on the MMC forum all the time (usually me & Chuck Rowles vs. he and Sam), so I never got any of the kowtowing you've described--we were at odds from the beginning. I could never be friends with a bigot. I believed he was actually going to publish something for a short time--probably about six months, and even offered to do the job that Jeff Austin ended up doing--CD, when it became apparent that everything in even getting started wasn't happening. To get to the 'two-faced' point, it was the whole reason I quit the forum--Rick going around on different sites and saying he was going to publish Green Lama, after I told him there was no way that would ever happen. I offered him three different proposals, some better that Lama--one that's been picked up 4 times before by Indies, only to have the company fall through, or the 'publisher' be a poseur, and once Platinum expressed interest in seeing it, but I didn't like the contract. Always with "I want the Lama.", "I want The Lama.". I blew a fuse on him in PM after Danny provided links--then he threatened to sue if I ever told anyone about what had happened. Bill Black read that shit, and put the comic on hold indefinitely--until Project Superpowers was announced, and he had to make an effort to hold on to things he's wanted to take out of the public domain forever. This shit traumatized me, even soured me on the character. I'm always suspicious of wannabes, having had so many dead ends--but this asshole was deliberately trying to fuck up my business, and he succeeded for a couple years.

MyNameIsNotLarry
08-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Did you sign a contract?

Read the contract, if you signed it, if not throw it away and don't sign it.

You are supposed to receive a payment 90 days after signing it and then the remainder when you step off the plane (per say, basically when you arrive)...all travel, hotel and food expenses are to be covered by the venue, nothing is to come out of your pocket for anything, unless you want to buy something.

Please as a friend, don't sign the contract...if you did, abide by it until the event is canceled, but whatever you do...do NOT come out of pocket for anything that is covered in your contract with promises of being paid "later", because from ALL of my own research, I am lead to believe that payment will not come as promised.

If the event goes as stated then okay, if contracts are followed as written then okay...but this will be my first and only Adirondack Comicfest event, unless something dramatically changes over the years.

So, I remain skeptical and I don't want any of my friends to go through this whatsoever http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/w/wink.gif

I am in no way slandering or talking junk about Olney...just facts from my research

Clayton's group was listed as confirmed guests on July 4. Rick edited that post and gave them individual confirmation posts July 17. By my quick rough count, 90 days from July 17 is about October 15 when payment should be received.

They of course can give a more accurate date as to when the contract was signed because Rick's post of confirmation doesn't have to equal the date the contract was signed.

THEDOC
08-14-2011, 01:49 PM

That is my site where I posted Tony's letter a while ago, glad you found it Michael. I know of you through CAG (Comicbook Artist Guild).

THEDOC
08-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Wrong DOC but Tim is a great guy.

Michael W. Kellar
08-14-2011, 01:55 PM
That is my site where I posted Tony's letter a while ago, glad you found it Michael. I know of you through CAG (Comicbook Artist Guild).

I am not very active in CAG, I probably should be...one day I will.

THEDOC
08-14-2011, 03:36 PM
It's a great group http://comicartguild.org/.
I remember your work on Sky Pirates of Valendor.

I even bought into RO's BS at one time. (from my Fandom History Section)

I was there at the very start. I wandered New York City looking for old book stores and scrounge shops to buy up back issues. I went to the cons hosted by Phil Seuling. Back in the 1970s, there were frequent notices in Marvel Comics' Bullpen Bulletins about their softball team. They'd talk about the games, mention them when talking about specific staffers, etc. It sounded like they were having a lot of fun, despite not winning a lot of games. I was on the phone with a friend talking about that and we thought it'd be a great idea to have a team of comic book fans to play against them. Fans vs. Pros! What great copy! But we knew we'd need a sponsor. One name came to both of us immediately: Phil Seuling. Besides having a fannish personality, Phil was the man who made comic conventions what they are today. Fans have almost canonized him since he passed away; I could easily do an entire article just on Phil..

Phil Seuling put on these great little weekend shows with no guests, but his best known event was his huge July 4th conventions, but those monthly cons without guests, just dealers and fans (called Second Sunday, then renamed to Comic Book Marketplace) were superb!

Then Stan Lee came into my life as a fan. Do you know that I believe I STILL maintain the record of most interviews with Stan Lee? And I discount and exclude Mark Evanier. Heh, heh... He's a pro.

Stan Lee, one of the men who started Marvel Comics. One of the men who created all those great characters and stories. Stan still had an active role in the company back then, was still writing. He didn't always attend the cons. I was at the Seuling con where Vaughn Bode drew what would be his last poster, and meeting for the first time people I had only corresponded with, among other things.) Bode, by the way, was origianlly from Utica, New York. I recalled meeting him back in the late 1960s before I was legal for the draft.

That was Vaughn Bode's last convention. Wow! The next time I'd see him was in meeting his son, now grown, and doing a stint at Kevin Eastman's WORDS & PICTURES Museum. ORCA was a organizational member of the museum and we'd take groups of our members from upstate NY to the museum in Northhampton, MA., which seeing Mark, in my mind, was like seeing Vaughn.

"Memories."

I visited Marvel nearly every trip to NYC back then. Also had contacts and friends at Warren Publishing (the publisher of Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella and Famous Monsters - Nick Cuti, who probably has forgotten me.

A few years later I became friends with Archie Goodwin. Saw Archie at Marvel twice before he left for DC Comics. I used to hang out a little at the Spring St. comic shop, I would have been soooooooooo depressed back then to find it closed. Thank you for asking. It brought back many memories."

In closing, fans and kids today are ROBBED of having things like this to enjoy. So, yeah, I advocate for younger readers and take a lot of crap for it.

My small press memories are nearly all connected to my exeriences, stange as they were, with Bob Elinskas and his little collective of tenny bopper self creative types back then. It wasn't until I founded the ORComx APA that I really found my creative side. That exists today. Ever see an issue?

GAWD! I just had a memory flashback of Mark Gruenwald.
Ha!Ha! Nobody like that in comics anymore...

_________________ Sincerely, --Rick

Rick Olney

TightLip Entertainment

www.mightyminicon.com

"Lux Mentis, Lux Orbis"

Artful Angie
08-14-2011, 03:52 PM
It's a great group http://comicartguild.org/.
I remember your work on Sky Pirates of Valendor.

I even bought into RO's BS at one time. (from my Fandom History Section)

The reason all of these people have "long forgotten" Rick Olney is that NONE OF THEM KNEW HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE! He used to regale everybody with stories like that at ORCA meetings, but when anybody asked hi to produce a shred of evidence he'd go nuts on them. And of course, he's do that to deflect from the fact that they were RIGHT about him not knowing these people.

And now he says he knew Mark Gruenwald?? How Granito can you get, Ricky Poo Poo?

DocAbsurd
08-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Tightlip Tales Blog. (http://tightliptales.blogspot.com/2011/06/to-tim-tobolski.html) Look specifically at the comments section.

I have been trying to tell Olney -- a minimum of five times -- that he has our conversation where I gave him my address through FB. And he has deleted each and every single response I made, including the quotes direct from our conversation. Once again I commented and reminded him that he has my address and it's unnecessary to email him with the details another time.

His response?

Rick Olney said...
Last chance -- NONE of your remarks shall be allowed here. Like I said, email me your mailing address if you want to be paid the $450 dollars.
August 14, 2011 6:59 PM

It's all been screen capped, including my last response, my attempt to send it, and his resistance to cooperate. Now the only reason he couldn't have our conversation on FB saved is if HE blocked me from FB, and not the other way around like he claimed. Like he claimed on that very same blog that I already screen-capped:

I would've hoped though that you might've maintained our Facebook connection instead of dropping and blocking me. Your approach comes off a little cowardly. But so be it.

Wonder if he'll grant himself an Inkwell Award at the convention in November for cooperative endeavors.

Wait! What's an Inkwell Award?

Michael W. Kellar
08-14-2011, 06:44 PM

http://www.inkwellawards.com

Tom Stillwell
08-14-2011, 07:28 PM
I met with Clayton again today and this time with his wife as well. Both are adamant that they will drop from the con the moment Rick breaches the contract in any way, shape or form. That means if Rick doesn't cover their expenses and/or pay their appearance fee upfront they will be gone. That means if they don't have a room booked on Rick's dime before the con they will be gone. Basically all the things that Rick has failed to do for other con guests numerous times in the past. They won't pay anything out of their pocket.

Funny thing those contracts, Rick. They go both ways. And a word of advice. After meeting Clayton and his wife you better not even consider using the vets in some way to benefit yourself. That would be a very bad idea. Anything you've experienced to date from us will be a walk in the park compared to what will happen if you screw the vets.

JTPencils
08-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Oh great, now they'll get stuck in some seedy 5th rate "no tell motel".... the kind where they do change the sheets... just from room to room.

I know like everyone else here that this thing's not going to happen... but it must be hard to have a "wait and see" attitude as to when exactly the ball will get dropped (along with the same lame excuses of poor accounting, lost mail, or inept "co-workers") and he can get out from under this dark cloud.

Gail Simone
08-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Tightlip Tales Blog. (http://tightliptales.blogspot.com/2011/06/to-tim-tobolski.html) Look specifically at the comments section.

I have been trying to tell Olney -- a minimum of five times -- that he has our conversation where I gave him my address through FB. And he has deleted each and every single response I made, including the quotes direct from our conversation. Once again I commented and reminded him that he has my address and it's unnecessary to email him with the details another time.

His response?

It's all been screen capped, including my last response, my attempt to send it, and his resistance to cooperate. Now the only reason he couldn't have our conversation on FB saved is if HE blocked me from FB, and not the other way around like he claimed. Like he claimed on that very same blog that I already screen-capped:

Wonder if he'll grant himself an Inkwell Award at the convention in November for cooperative endeavors.

So, wait. He refuses to allow you to post that he already has the information he needs to pay you, and has for years, on the website OSTENSIBLY set up to clear his debts but which, like all the previous times he's promised to do this, has never actually resulted in a check for anyone?

How CONVENIENT.

Artful Angie
08-15-2011, 02:12 AM
So, wait. He refuses to allow you to post that he already has the information he needs to pay you, and has for years, on the website OSTENSIBLY set up to clear his debts but which, like all the previous times he's promised to do this, has never actually resulted in a check for anyone?

How CONVENIENT.

In fact, Gail, here's his exact quote from the site Ricky Poo Poo set up to settle the matter of his repayment to people for TightLip:

Again -- Like I said, email me your mailing address if you want to be paid the $450 dollars. This is not the place for you to continue your trollish complaining and crying. Thank you.

Oh, and here's a reply to a comment from Matt Doc Martin:

Your surprise, Martin? Oh, that. Sure thing. Come to Old Forge in November to see what was baked. I'll let you lick the bowl.

Considering his obsession with feces and toilets, I'd be careful which "bowl" he's offering for you to lick, Matt.

Kinda makes you wonder which "lips" are so "tight" at his old company...

Matt Doc Martin
08-15-2011, 06:12 AM
In fact, Gail, here's his exact quote from the site Ricky Poo Poo set up to settle the matter of his repayment to people for TightLip:

Oh, and here's a reply to a comment from Matt Doc Martin:

Considering his obsession with feces and toilets, I'd be careful which "bowl" he's offering for you to lick, Matt.

Kinda makes you wonder which "lips" are so "tight" at his old company...

I still have no clue what that is supposed to be. If it is a threat, it is his weakest yet. Pathetic, Rick Olney...pathetic.

Gail Simone
08-15-2011, 06:43 AM
I think he's baking something and wants you to lick the bowl, Matt.

It's a GESTURE of FRIENDSHIP!

Tom Stillwell
08-15-2011, 07:20 AM
So someone sent on a guest contract for Olney's convention and I've had a chance to look it over. Before I further discuss the contract I'd like to address something related.

I placed a call this morning to Herkimer County Clerk, the business division to be exact. I wanted to check if ADIRONDACK, LLC is an actual incorporated company. The only business listing they had for Rick Olney was Tightlip. Nothing for ADIRONDACK, LLC...the company listed on the guest contract. They couldn't find ADIRONDACK, LLC listed as a business incorporated in Herkimer County. That means either ADIRONDACK, LLC is incorporated elsewhere or that is has never been incorporated at all. Which also means that guests have been signing contracts with a company that doesn't legally exist or that another party is the registered agent behind ADIRONDACK, LLC. Food for thought.

A few points:

2. FULL PRICE AGREED UPON: $250.00 Appearance Fee

A. A deposit of $100.00 shall be paid by Venue to XXXXXX, or anyone designated by Artist as the Artist's representative, in the name of XXXXX NO LATER than 90days after signing contract with balance of $150.00 in cash upon check-in at Venue’s hotel on November 10th . All Deposits shall be paid in the form of cash, cashier's check, money order, or wire transfer.

B. The balance due hereunder shall be paid to Artist Representative by Venue immediately prior to Appearance arrival, by cash only.

C. Earned percentages, overages, and/or bonuses, if applicable, are to be paid cash only, immediately following the last show.

If you signed up to be a guest of this show do not any under circumstances think that because you were paid $100 up front that it guarantees you'll be paid the rest upon arriving at the show. Don't give Olney the benefit of the doubt. Cash in your hand before the show starts or you walk. The End.

VENUE SHALL FURNISH AT ITS SOLE EXPENSE THE FOLLOWING:

A. ROUND TRIP Transportation from point of departure to event site.

B. MONIES FOR AIRFARE TICKETS.

C. HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS.

D. LIMOUSINE/TRANSPORTATION Accommodations to/from point of departure.

E. MEALS PROVIDED: Friday (11th) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner; Saturday (12th) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner; Sunday (13th) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.

F. REFRESHMENTS: Venue shall provide each GUEST member of the ADIRONDACK COMICFEST with reasonable amounts of free (bottled) water and soft drinks during the event.

Monies for airfare tickets. Did you catch that? He'll provide money for your airfare but won't actually arrange and pay for the ticket himself in advance. Nor does he say when he'll provide the money for your airfare. Where have we seen this before? Oh yeah, every Olney convention where people had to fight tooth and nail to be compensated for airfare money.

Word to the wise. If you're a guest demand money for airfare in advance. Don't rely on Rick paying you at the show after you've paid for it yourself.

HamsterRage
08-15-2011, 07:25 AM
So if the LLC isn't legit I think Clayton is in the clear to cancel, right?

Tom Stillwell
08-15-2011, 07:33 AM
In my opinion he could cancel now. Unless he's been paid the $100 deposit already. But I don't believe he has.

One other thing Clayton's wife mentioned to me is that they've been trying to find out who the "silent parties" are behind the convention but Rick will not divulge that information.

Matt Doc Martin
08-15-2011, 07:46 AM
So someone sent on a guest contract for Olney's convention and I've had a chance to look it over. Before I further discuss the contract I'd like to address something related.

I placed a call this morning to Herkimer County Clerk, the business division to be exact. I wanted to check if ADIRONDACK, LLC is an actual incorporated company. The only business listing they had for Rick Olney was Tightlip. Nothing for ADIRONDACK, LLC...the company listed on the guest contract. They couldn't find ADIRONDACK, LLC listed as a business incorporated in Herkimer County. That means either ADIRONDACK, LLC is incorporated elsewhere or that is has never been incorporated at all. Which also means that guests have been signing contracts with a company that doesn't legally exist or that another party is the registered agent behind ADIRONDACK, LLC. Food for thought.

A few points:

If you signed up to be a guest of this show do not any under circumstances think that because you were paid $100 up front that it guarantees you'll be paid the rest upon arriving at the show. Don't give Olney the benefit of the doubt. Cash in your hand before the show starts or you walk. The End.

Monies for airfare tickets. Did you catch that? He'll provide money for your airfare but won't actually arrange and pay for the ticket himself in advance. Nor does he say when he'll provide the money for your airfare. Where have we seen this before? Oh yeah, every Olney convention where people had to fight tooth and nail to be compensated for airfare money.

Word to the wise. If you're a guest demand money for airfare in advance. Don't rely on Rick paying you at the show after you've paid for it yourself.

PLEASE pay attention to what Tom says. It is simple good business advice for anyone, and especially someone with a history of non-payment (and court judgments to prove it) like Rick Olney.

Matt Doc Martin
08-15-2011, 07:47 AM
In my opinion he could cancel now. Unless he's been paid the $100 deposit already. But I don't believe he has.

One other thing Clayton's wife mentioned to me is that they've been trying to find out who the "silent parties" are behind the convention but Rick will not divulge that information.

I am sure it is his leaggle team, feasting on Happy Meals and questionable cake.

MacQuarrie
08-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Um, this is really important....

The contract states that "the Venue" will provide all this stuff. The Venue is the location where the convention will take place, not the producer of the event. This contract is invalid on its face, because neither Rick nor Adirondathon (or whatever the hell name he's using) has any authority to obligate the facility in Old Forge to give anyone anything.

Example: In 2003, TightLip put on the MightyMiniCon at the local community college; the college was the Venue for the event. TightLip was not.

Tom Stillwell
08-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Good point, Mac. I skipped over that in my quick review.

I guess I'm still wiped out from attending an actual convention where I sold actual comics I actually wrote and published for which I actually paid my freelancers for their actual work.

Matt Doc Martin
08-15-2011, 08:06 AM

The contract states that "the Venue" will provide all this stuff. The Venue is the location where the convention will take place, not the producer of the event. This contract is invalid on its face, because neither Rick nor Adirondathon (or whatever the hell name he's using) has any authority to obligate the facility in Old Forge to give anyone anything.

Example: In 2003, TightLip put on the MightyMiniCon at the local community college; the college was the Venue for the event. TightLip was not.

Good eye!!!

JTPencils
08-15-2011, 08:08 AM

I guess I'm still wiped out from attending an actual convention where I sold actual comics I actually wrote and published for which I actually paid my freelancers for their actual work.

You know Tom, if you go and start paying your freelancers for actual work performed.. you're gonna set a bad precedent for scammers like Olney... Oh wait... he's already done that himself.

Congrats to you Tom!

MyNameIsNotLarry
08-15-2011, 08:20 AM
I wanted to check if ADIRONDACK, LLC is an actual incorporated company. The only business listing they had for Rick Olney was Tightlip. Nothing for ADIRONDACK, LLC...the company listed on the guest contract. They couldn't find ADIRONDACK, LLC listed as a business incorporated in Herkimer County.
Tom, great work you are doing. I wanted to mention that from what I've read, the company is supposed to be Adirondathon, LCC

As there was no business listed for Rick at all besides Tightlip, it's moot I guess. Still thought I would mention it in case it helps looking at a later date.

Tom Stillwell
08-15-2011, 08:20 AM

Actually Jim, I have to correct you. I didn't post the whole contract and early on it establishes ADIRONDACK, LLC to be called the Venue within the body of the contract. It's incorrectly labeled as a venue since it's not the venue but within the confines of the contract it refers to ADIRONDACK, LLC.

Of course if ADIRONDACK, LLC is not a legal entity...

Tom Stillwell
08-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Tom, great work you are doing. I wanted to mention that from what I've read, the company is supposed to be Adirondathon, LCC

As there was no business listed for Rick at all besides Tightlip, it's moot I guess. Still thought I would mention it in case it helps looking at a later date.

We couldn't find either ADIRONDATHON, LCC & ADIRONDACK COMICFEST as legal entities either.

Tony Isabella
08-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Tom...what are the stated penalties if a guest should simply opt out of this contract? Most appearance and some writing contracts I've signed include that information.

Tony Isabella
08-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Another question for Tom...

If ADIRONDACK, LLC is not a legal entity, but Olney is doing business as if it were, would that be something of interest to the local authorities? Or to the state authorities? Or even to the federal authorities?

Tom Stillwell
08-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Tom...what are the stated penalties if a guest should simply opt out of this contract? Most appearance and some writing contracts I've signed include that information.

Here's the funny part...there are no stated penalties. It does state that only the Venue (again incorrectly labeled) can cancel the contract but stops short there. It doesn't say what will happen if the contract is breached by the artist.

It is a bad contract...bad for Olney. He placed all the obligations on himself.

Tom Stillwell
08-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Another question for Tom...

If ADIRONDACK, LLC is not a legal entity, but Olney is doing business as if it were, would that be something of interest to the local authorities? Or to the state authorities? Or even to the federal authorities?

I don't know the criminal implications of corporate misrepresentation.

MacQuarrie
08-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Anybody got a few minutes to call the NY Secretary of State's office and ask?

SarahBeach
08-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Well, I'm glad you cleared up that the contract designates the convention as "the Venue", because the point that MacQuarrie made has been nagging at me for days. It again shows Rick's incompetence, in that he seems to think the "fancy" word "venue" could mean his event. Having served as a chair and site liason for a conference, I well knew that "venue" meant the site and NOT the event. In EVERYBODY'S terminology .... except Rick's, of course.

Also, in terms of event-planning, on the air fare matter, just leaving it open like that "Monies for Airfare" is terrible budgetting! How the heck do you budget for that? You don't know what the guest is going to do! And if he seriously abides by it, instead of arranging the travel from the convention end ....

It's insane. It's carelessness. It speaks to me of a mindset that at rock bottom is thinking "I'm never going to pay this anyway, so I don't have to do the planning for the travel, and I don't care how they get here."

I'm sorry, but I look at that and can only shake my head at the piss-poor planning that seems to be going on (if it's going on at all). By this point: the venue should be locked down (as in the contract is agreed upon, with the deposit payment scheduled), so that the location can be advertised -- so attendees can make their own travel plans; assurances regarding exact travel plans should be made to the guests, so that both parties are in agreement on that.

MacQuarrie
08-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Having read the contract, it's very clear that Olney did a web search for "artist performance contract" and copied what he found, dropping his own details in. The contract he copied was for a performance venue, such as a concert hall or theater or some such (give me 5 minutes and I'll find the original), and he was too stupid to understand what he was reading. He has signed himself to a contract that puts almost no obligations on the artist, requires that he faithfully execute every single word of his obligations, and makes himself PERSONALLY liable for any breach. It's a pip of a contract, with about a dozen ways for anyone who wants out to void the contract at any time. If he screws up (as he no doubt will), he could quite possibly be faced with having to cancel guests' appearance and pay them anyway.

What a moron.

SarahBeach
08-15-2011, 10:13 AM
I just checked the New York state corporate listings (which includes businesses, not for profits, and LLCs) and there is nothing for either "Adirondack Comic" anything or for "Adirondathon".

Considering that a Google search for the correct NY state office also turned up a LegalZoom site for "how to file as a business", you'd think Rick would have spent the money (probably under $100 for both the LegalZoom fee and the state fee - though I haven't checked that far) to secure it -- if he was really serious. It's not like this information is so esoteric that it's both impossible to find and impossible to understand.

But yeah, all the signs indicate that Clayton and the others have signed a contract with a "corporate entity" that does not in fact exist. At least not today, it doesn't. Rick might run out and incorporate it, but unfortunately for him, that still wouldn't make the contracts legal (as I understand it). Because the "corporation" did not legally exist at the time the recipients signed the contract, it is invalid. Rick would have to resubmit the contracts to the guests after the convention was incorporated. But, of course, by now those guests know his reputation better and I doubt very much that they'd sign.

Heh. I'd like to see how Ricky gets around that rock-bottom fact! He can't go around tooting that the contracts still hold. Unless he can provide documentation that the corporate entity in those contracts legally exists in the state of New York prior to the guests signing them. And they have every right to demand that proof, and I highly recommend that they do so immediately. Do it now, and they can change their plans for that weekend to something that would serve them far better than Rick's vapor-con.

MacQuarrie
08-15-2011, 10:18 AM
What a fucking moron.

He copied an artist contract for the band "Cherrywood" (deleting a couple of paragraphs that referred to box office receipts and recording rights.) Here's the contract he swiped from:
http://www.cherrywoodmusic.com/media%20kit/cherrywoodappearanceagreement.pdf

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Tom Stillwell
08-15-2011, 10:19 AM
After conferring Mac and I both agree.

1. Bad contract for Olney.

2. Little liability for attendees.

The only thing the attendees could be liable for is the $100 deposit. That's if they received it at this point. Which I bet they haven't.

MacQuarrie
08-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Anyone who signed this contract should look in the yellow pages for an attorney who offers a free consultation. Take the contract in, let the lawyer read it, he will verify that you can shred it and walk away clean. Go home, send Olney notice that you're done, and forget he ever existed.

P.S. Artists are supposed to have prior approval of any and all promotion Olney does that uses your name. If he didn't run his blog posts past you before they went up, he's in breach.

MacQuarrie
08-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Thank God he's stupid. This would be so much harder with an intelligent scammer.

NatGertler
08-15-2011, 10:59 AM
To be fair to the folks at Cherrywood and whomever drafted the source contract, let us note that the linguistic horror that is the phrase "MONIES FOR AIRFARE TICKETS" does not appear there. That seems to be an Olney invention, and follows his pattern of adding a bunch of words to make something seem official or give it impact, when the words don't actually combine in any meaningful way. All of what that phrase is trying to say can be covered by the word "airfare". Airfare -is- money, and one doesn't get "airfare tickets", one gets "airline tickets" or "airplane tickets", but neither is the vital thing, as it's not the ticket that is meant to be supplied, but rather the travel.

Tony Isabella
08-15-2011, 11:00 AM
I *knew* this contract had to be a cut-and-paste job. Not only am I more convinced than ever that Olney doesn't have an attorney - much less a team of lawyers - I'm beginning to think he's never even met an attorney.

Tom Stillwell
08-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Anyone who signed this contract should look in the yellow pages for an attorney who offers a free consultation. Take the contract in, let the lawyer read it, he will verify that you can shred it and walk away clean. Go home, send Olney notice that you're done, and forget he ever existed.

P.S. Artists are supposed to have prior approval of any and all promotion Olney does that uses your name. If he didn't run his blog posts past you before they went up, he's in breach.

Clayton, if you're reading, consider this you're second opinion. Unless your contract is vastly different than the one we've seen, your lawyer isn't a very good one.

SarahBeach
08-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Clayton, if you're reading, consider this you're second opinion. Unless your contract is vastly different than the one we've seen, your lawyer isn't a very good one.

My guess would be that if Clayton's contract is not with Rick Olney himself, he may be able to walk away anyhow. Because as far as we can tell, if the contract is for any Olney-esque corporate identity other than TightLip Entertainment, the business does not legally exist and cannot enter into contracts. If Rick has used some other corporate name, Clayton's lawyer needs to check for its legal registration -- but I'm going to guess that it might not exist in any case.

J.R. LeMar
08-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Well, I pointed out that in Rich Johnston's most recent article on this, he reported that two guests said they were canceling immediately, neither mentioning anything about contracts. That's why I wondered why it seemed so easy for them to get out of it, while others were saying they were stuck.

There is also Matt Reynolds (http://adirondackcomicfest.blogspot.com/2011/07/november-guest-confirmation-matt.html), an artist whom Rich says "has admitted to having signed a contract with Rick Olney… and now wishes he hadn’t."

Here's his website, if someone wants to contact him about this: http://monsterrot.com/

MacQuarrie
08-15-2011, 11:55 AM
7. Artist agrees that Venue may use Artist name, pictures, photographs, and other likenesses in connection with advertising and publicizing the engagements (s) hereunder, but use shall not be used without prior approval of Artist. Venue's right to use Artist's name and period beginning with the execution of this agreement and, termination upon the date of cancellation of engagement (s) or upon completion thereof.

There you go. Note also that he doesn't get to use your name to promote anything after the closing day of the convention. If he tries to trot you out like he's done with Tony and Gail to promote himself and his future schemes, you get to sue him.

J.R. LeMar
08-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Wow, he really did screw himself, didn't he?

Tom Stillwell
08-15-2011, 12:28 PM
But he knows the law! And has TWO law firms on retainer! They are gonna mete out legal justices!!!

MacQuarrie
08-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Wow, he really did screw himself, didn't he?
That's just one clause. Every single item in this contract favors the artist. Anyone who thinks their agreement prevents them from dropping out of this fiasco has not read their contract.

Outsider
08-15-2011, 01:31 PM
The Adirondathon, LLC (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adirondathon-LCC/160575143992819?sk=info) Facebook page lists the following info:

Adirondathon, LCC
Company

Basic Information:

Founded 2011

Location 13420 (http://bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&pc=FACEBK&mid=8100&where1=13420&FORM=FBKPL0&name=Adirondathon%2C+LCC)

About:Hosting a variety of quality events in the Adirondack Region of New York State.

Company Overview: Watch us grow!

Description: Adirondathon begins its journey to entertain and enlighten consumers on a variety of both old and new merchandise that we offer, along with hosting and presenting events in Old Forge, New York during the four seasons. Adirondathon is a limited liability company.

Email: adirondathon@gmail.com

The website is a messy placeholder page. But looking up the information for the domain yields the name Robert Pratt:

Registrant:
Robert Pratt
PO Box 124
249 Ward Road
Mohawk, New York 13407
United States

Registered through: godaddy.com, inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: ADIRONDATHON.COM
Created on: 06-Jan-11
Expires on: 06-Jan-12
Last Updated on: 06-Jan-11

Administrative Contact:
Pratt, Robert
PO Box 124
249 Ward Road
Mohawk, New York 13407
United States
+1.3158664926 Fax --

Technical Contact:
Pratt, Robert
PO Box 124
249 Ward Road
Mohawk, New York 13407
United States
+1.3158664926 Fax --

He is the owner of the business Netghodz Web Design (http://www.linkedin.com/in/robertpratt). The Netghodz website (http://www.netghodz.com/), however, is ALSO a messy placeholder page. He also owns Mohawk Valley Sign and Design. That companies website is a messy wordpress page (http://mvsigndesign.wordpress.com/).

He also registered around 92 other domain names, but that list costs money to receive.

Matt Doc Martin
08-15-2011, 02:10 PM
I know other people say it, but:

Rick Olney, you are a moron.

J.R. LeMar
08-15-2011, 02:22 PM

Well, let’s keep in mind, despite his claims of no wrongdoing, Clayton has lost more than one lawsuit in regards to that Memorial. Which doesn't speak highly of the skills of his lawyer. Just sayin’.

CutterMike
08-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Y' know... it actually is almost impressive, the way that -- every time you think that zinestud couldn't POSSIBLY out-stupid his previous blundering -- he manages to find a way! I mean, it's almost like he takes it as a challenge to top his personal dumbest with each new exploit and -- Bless him! -- he succeeds at failing in new and more astonishing ways each and every time!!

Artful Angie
08-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Rick's nothing if not consistant.

Consistantly STUPID!

J.R. LeMar
08-15-2011, 03:04 PM
And I am not a lawyer, but I would assume that the sooner an attendee gives notice that they are backing out, the better protection that would give them against any possible future claim by Rick Olney. If you drop out a week before the start-date, that could be a legitimate cause for legal damages, but it’s still 2 ½ months away. So get out now, while you can.

And, really, what’s he gonna do? Sue them? Yeah, that’ll be great advertising for the show, having several guests there who are attending under threat of a lawsuit. More likely he’ll just write some more threatening posts on his blog, claiming he’s being sabotaged by “jealous” trolls who don’t want to support the troops. Followed by pictures of crap-filled toilets, of course.

KJ!
08-15-2011, 03:04 PM
I have a loooot of pages to catch up on, so excuse me if this has been raised.

Are the contracts in the name of 'Adirondathon LLC'? Because if that company DIDN'T legally exist on the date the contracts were signed, they're invalid. I doubt he ever registered the required paperwork, and even if he does now, it doesn't count for contracts already signed.

EDIT: Sigh, it was on the first new page for me. Apologies guys. Nothing to see here.

MacQuarrie
08-15-2011, 04:00 PM
He is the owner of the business Netghodz Web Design (http://www.linkedin.com/in/robertpratt). The Netghodz website (http://www.netghodz.com/), however, is ALSO a messy placeholder page. He also owns Mohawk Valley Sign and Design. That companies website is a messy wordpress page (http://mvsigndesign.wordpress.com/).

He also registered around 92 other domain names, but that list costs money to receive.
Most likely, he's the poor SOB that Olney suckered into designing and hosting his website; he'll get stiffed like everyone else eventually.

MacQuarrie
08-15-2011, 04:07 PM
And I am not a lawyer, but I would assume that the sooner an attendee gives notice that they are backing out, the better protection that would give them against any possible future claim by Rick Olney. If you drop out a week before the start-date, that could be a legitimate cause for legal damages, but it’s still 2 ½ months away. So get out now, while you can.
That's an important point.

10. Artist's obligations hereunder are subject to detention or prevention by sickness, inability to perform, accident, failure or delay of means of transportation, Acts of God, riots, strikes, labor difficulties, epidemics, any act of any public authority or any other cause, similar or dissimilar, beyond Artist's control. In the event of illness, strike, Act of God (as determined by Venue), governmental regulation of other force major occurrence, Artist is unable or is prevented from performing the engagement any part thereof, Venue shall be obligated and liable to Artist for such proportionate amount of payment provided for herein as may be due hereunder for any performance (s) which Artist may have rendered up to the time of the inability to perform by reason of such illness or force major occurrence.

11. Notwithstanding anything contained herein, inclement weather shall not be deemed to be a force major occurrence, and the Venue shall remain liable for payment of the contract price even if the event called for herein is prevented by such weather conditions. Artist shall not have the sole right to determine in good faith whether any such weather conditions shall render the event impossible, hazardous or unsafe.

12. Both parties agree that only VENUE may cancel the engagement hereunder for any reason without liability by giving the other written notice thereof at least thirty (30) days prior to the commencement date of the engagement hereunder.

Under the terms of the contract, it's possible for the guest to cancel for any number of reasons, as outlined in #10, but if cancellation occurs less than 30 days before the event, Olney can claim some unspecified liability.

It would just be easier for everyone if you cancel more than 30 days prior, citing pretty much any reason you like, if it falls under one of the general categories enumerated.

But if he's actually paid the $100 deposit, you can just wait until less than 30 days from the event and then cancel citing any one of the many breaches of contract Olney has already committed or will no doubt commit by then, and keep the $100. Score.

SarahBeach
08-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't really want to kick at some anonymous person (or if it's Robert Pratt, not so anonymous), but whoever is behind the "Mohawk Valley Sign and Design" has a mighty poor sense of design. That header is straight off a WordPress template, I'm thinking. Not much "design" in that.

But on top of that, the text of that "site" reads like something out of the brain of Rick Olney. Pratt's LinkedIn profile says that he had that business "January 2009 – April 2010" - meaning it's defunct. "Netghodz Web Design" is his current business. But I'm guessing he must know Rick in some fashion. But after looking at MVS&D, why would anyone hire him? Heck I don't do webdesign professionally, and I think I did a respectable job on my own website.

Anyway, my point is that Pratt is probably a friend of Rick's and is fronting the internet presence for Rick. Of course, I'm only guessing....

J.R. LeMar
08-15-2011, 07:28 PM
I see him on Google Plus. Looks like he also owns the CNY Local Guide: http://cnylocalguide.com/

For a guy whose business is "web design", you'd think he'd do better than just having cheap-looking Wordpress pages.

JTPencils
08-15-2011, 11:03 PM
There's no proof that he designed the site himself though. He may have just allowed for space, and Rick went nuts with his own "grand design".... which wouldn't surprise me one bit. I wouldn't know the first thing about web design... but I would think this Pratt fellow wouldn't always be involved with each and every design that his business allows for....

I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt.

As for Olney putting up a horrible design and thinking it's gold... now THAT I'd believe.

Artful Angie
08-16-2011, 02:14 AM
I see him on Google Plus. Looks like he also owns the CNY Local Guide: http://cnylocalguide.com/

For a guy whose business is "web design", you'd think he'd do better than just having cheap-looking Wordpress pages.

If you click on the link to the guide, it only has 6 businesses being promoted, 5 restaurants and a hospital.

THEDOC
08-16-2011, 06:13 AM

Great news about the convention, Tom. I need to send your business cards back to you, e-mail me your snail mail addie. I did get some of my indie friends to sign up for Unscrewed. Also had a writer trying to break into the biz so gave him an Unscrewed biz card (talked about the organization) and he s sending me his script so I can find a publisher for him through IF. I have a couple of possibilities for him.

THEDOC
08-16-2011, 06:25 AM
Y' know... it actually is almost impressive, the way that -- every time you think that zinestud couldn't POSSIBLY out-stupid his previous blundering -- he manages to find a way! I mean, it's almost like he takes it as a challenge to top his personal dumbest with each new exploit and -- Bless him! -- he succeeds at failing in new and more astonishing ways each and every time!!

And in this case no cover charge.

THEDOC
08-16-2011, 06:30 AM
It is funny that on his blog that he talks about "lies" that have told about his past dealings but nothing in regards to defending this newest endeavor. Makes me wonder.

Tom Stillwell
08-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Great news about the convention, Tom. I need to send your business cards back to you, e-mail me your snail mail addie. I did get some of my indie friends to sign up for Unscrewed. Also had a writer trying to break into the biz so gave him an Unscrewed biz card (talked about the organization) and he s sending me his script so I can find a publisher for him through IF. I have a couple of possibilities for him.

Thanks for getting the word out there, Doc. I really appreciate it. Arming freelancers with knowledge is what we're all about.

You can hold on to the cards. I can make more.

Gail Simone
08-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Today is Michael Kellar's birthday. WOOT!

Happy birthday to a swell person and artist!

Michael W. Kellar
08-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Today is Michael Kellar's birthday. WOOT!

Happy birthday to a swell person and artist!

Thank you Gail, I greatly appreciate that...I am the big "40" today...

My fiancée (Melissa) said it best in a text message first thing this morning (she works 3rd shift at the VA Hospital as a RN)..."Happy birthday to you, you belong in the zoo...oh wait, already there, we just call it home", I love her to so much, she is my best friend, my lover & my soulmate. I have been through 2 marriages in my lifetime and have finally found my one true love next to my kids and comics :)

Okay, off to eat some dinner and then some German Chocolate Cake (yum, yum) and I think there is a present or 2, not sure...hopefully some "The Big Bang Theory" DVD's, that is my favorite show...even though, I already have the best presents in the world in my kids and Melissa.

THEDOC
08-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Happy Birthday Michael.:rock:

THE_DAREDIVA
08-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Thank you Gail, I greatly appreciate that...I am the big "40" today...

My fiancée (Melissa) said it best in a text message first thing this morning (she works 3rd shift at the VA Hospital as a RN)..."Happy birthday to you, you belong in the zoo...oh wait, already there, we just call it home", I love her to so much, she is my best friend, my lover & my soulmate. I have been through 2 marriages in my lifetime and have finally found my one true love next to my kids and comics :)

Okay, off to eat some dinner and then some German Chocolate Cake (yum, yum) and I think there is a present or 2, not sure...hopefully some "The Big Bang Theory" DVD's, that is my favorite show...even though, I already have the best presents in the world in my kids and Melissa.

This part alone tells me you have a solid angel in your life, Michael. I really appreciate the wonderful RNs who have cared for me at the VA in Memphis.

Happy Four-0, young 'un!

MyNameIsNotLarry
08-16-2011, 11:56 PM
I was going through my links and realized I hadn't checked this one out in a while.

http://talesofthespooky.blogspot.com/

Rick's latest post there is from August 13 but it's just a repeat of the same entry on his Sequential Soul blog. What interested me was this entry from June of this year.

2. Landlord -- written by Gary Martin, art by Sergio Cariello, colors by Zac Atkinson
As hoped for earlier this day, I have now heard from Zac Atkinson regarding his work on The Landlord story. That completes the contact list for this story. Here is what I sent to Zac:

Zac,
Please read this: Want to get paid finally? (http://talesofthespooky.blogspot.com/2011/05/news-update-landlord.html)

It outlines my contacts thus far. I need to know what I owe you for your work for me those years back. I'll need to set up a payment schedule with you, but I should be able to pay you up by the end of this year. What do you say?

Regards,
Rick Olney

Here's what Zac had to say:

$1200 for spooky (art and colors)

$600 for Landlord (colors)

To which I responded with:

Hi Zac,
I'll need to break it down in THREE PAYMENTS of $600.00 dollars each. Is that okay? If so, then the only other thing I need is to do is check with Dave Lanphere (or my attorney) to see what kind of legal release, if any, is needed. It could be that one won't be needed, but I want no problems from anyone as these completed story files are paid for in full. Dave Lanphere will release upon proof you've been paid.

Sincerely,

Rick Olney
And his reply:

Okay.
I share this all publicly because I want an exact record of my efforts and how they were carried out from idea to full fruition.

Anyone know Zac or what became of this? If Rick actually ever paid someone, he'd be yelling it from rooftops and he's never said a word about this in his main blog.

Michael W. Kellar
08-17-2011, 01:36 AM
This part alone tells me you have a solid angel in your life, Michael. I really appreciate the wonderful RNs who have cared for me at the VA in Memphis.

Happy Four-0, young 'un!

Your right, Melissa is an "Angel", I will not deny that.
Thank you for the birthday wishes Darediva, I appreciate it :)

HamsterRage
08-17-2011, 02:33 AM
I was going through my links and realized I hadn't checked this one out in a while.

Rick's latest post there is from August 13 but it's just a repeat of the same entry on his Sequential Soul blog. What interested me was this entry from June of this year.

Anyone know Zac or what became of this? If Rick actually ever paid someone, he'd be yelling it from rooftops and he's never said a word about this in his main blog.

I'm willing to bet nothing. Rick has been trying to get people to sign hold harmless in order to get "paid"

Tom Stillwell
08-17-2011, 04:00 AM

I know Zac. In fact I just paid Zac for a bit of freelance work he did for me. I'll drop him a line.

Michael W. Kellar
08-17-2011, 04:33 AM
Happy Birthday Michael.:rock:

Thank you very much!

Matt Doc Martin
08-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Looks like the jackass removed "LLC" :

The Adirondack ComicFest is a yearly comics and pop culture event held in the Adirondack region of New York State. Owned and operated by Adirondathon, it offers a weekend full of fun, imagination, and excitement!

Now if he can remove a few other lies:"fun", "imagination", "excitement", "yearly".

Kevin T Brown
08-17-2011, 09:40 AM

Now if he can remove a few other lies:"fun", "imagination", "excitement", "yearly".Heh. I initially read that as "excrement" and not "excitement".

Outsider
08-17-2011, 09:44 AM

Now if he can remove a few other lies:"fun", "imagination", "excitement", "yearly".

Would this mean any contracts signed with "Adirondathon, LLC" are void?

Artful Angie
08-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Heh. I initially read that as "excrement" and not "excitement". then you've been around Olney too long!

Matt Doc Martin
08-17-2011, 09:58 AM

I think MacQuarrie and/or Tom said that since it never EXISTED, the contracts are worth exactly NOTHING to begin with.

So Rick Olney can piss up a tree, but he is getting jack-squat for guests.

Tom Stillwell
08-17-2011, 09:59 AM
I know Zac. In fact I just paid Zac for a bit of freelance work he did for me. I'll drop him a line.

Zac says that Olney never followed through but in typical fashion promised to pay him "by the end of the year."

Matt Doc Martin
08-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Zac says that Olney never followed through but in typical fashion promised to pay him "by the end of the year."

And by "year", Olney means "time".

SarahBeach
08-17-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm amused that he edits out the "LLC" because we've pointed out it means something rather specific legally. And yet he seems to think that it doesn't change anything else he's done. But it doesn't matter if Adirondathon is or isn't an LLC -- it's not registered as a business at all in any form in the state of New York, so any contracts drawn up using that name are mere verbage and not binding.

MacQuarrie
08-17-2011, 11:11 AM

I think MacQuarrie and/or Tom said that since it never EXISTED, the contracts are worth exactly NOTHING to begin with.

So Rick Olney can piss up a tree, but he is getting jack-squat for guests.
Neither Tom nor I are lawyers, so do not construe anything we say here as legal advice, and do not hold us responsible for any decisions you make. HOWEVER, there is a thing called "the reasonable man test": would a reasonably intelligent and informed person, acting responsibly, read the contract and understand it to mean a particular thing? In this case, if a reasonable man signed this contract and then discovered that the company with which he contracted did not in fact legally exist, would he reasonably conclude that the contract was therefore null and void? As a reasonable man, I'd say yes. A 15-minute consultation with a lawyer at your local mall attorney office would most likely confirm that.

I'm amused that he edits out the "LLC" because we've pointed out it means something rather specific legally. And yet he seems to think that it doesn't change anything else he's done. But it doesn't matter if Adirondathon is or isn't an LLC -- it's not registered as a business at all in any form in the state of New York, so any contracts drawn up using that name are mere verbage and not binding.
I think he removed "LLC" in order to avoid fraud charges. It's clearly misrepresentation to say he's a "Limited Liability Corporation" when he's not a corporation. The city, country, state and federal government would have something to say about that, especially the humorless and unforgiving sorts at the various tax offices.

Matt Doc Martin
08-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Neither Tom nor I are lawyers, so do not construe anything we say here as legal advice, and do not hold us responsible for any decisions you make. HOWEVER, there is a thing called "the reasonable man test": would a reasonably intelligent and informed person, acting responsibly, read the contract and understand it to mean a particular thing? In this case, if a reasonable man signed this contract and then discovered that the company with which he contracted did not in fact legally exist, would he reasonably conclude that the contract was therefore null and void? As a reasonable man, I'd say yes. A 15-minute consultation with a lawyer at your local mall attorney office would most likely confirm that.

I think he removed "LLC" in order to avoid fraud charges. It's clearly misrepresentation to say he's a "Limited Liability Corporation" when he's not a corporation. The city, country, state and federal government would have something to say about that, especially the humorless and unforgiving sorts at the various tax offices.

I apologize.

It is my opinion that the contract is as worthless as Rick Olney.

Flamebird
08-17-2011, 11:25 AM

So, if someone is holding a contract from him that says it's for an LLC; does that mean it might be actionable in and of itself?
Y'know, if it found it's way to the proper agencies.

I've never had to deal with contracts from one, but have worked for LLC's; and I remember that they were chronic about making sure all the "I's" were dotted and all the "T's" crossed.

Tony Isabella
08-17-2011, 11:58 AM
I urge anyone with a contract from Rick Olney that they even suspect might constitute some sort of fraud to send a copy of that contract to the proper authorities.

Tony Isabella
08-17-2011, 02:47 PM
I have a question from an interested party. This individual would like to know what authorities to contact as he suspects Olney's contract may, indeed, constitute some form of fraud.

Does anyone have the time to come up with information on the proper authorities in this matter?

Gaelforce
08-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Here's a link to the form to file a complaint regarding fraud with the Attorney General's office, Division of Consumer Fraud, in Albany, NY.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/resource_center/complaints/pdfs/cns001web_consumer.pdf

This also includes the phone number to call for any questions.

The Hero Maker
08-17-2011, 03:01 PM
I urge anyone with a contract from Rick Olney that they even suspect might constitute some sort of fraud to send a copy of that contract to the proper authorities.

Just to inform everyone, I have asked everyone associated with me that signed a contract to appear at this show in November to ask to be released from the contract. After repeated attempts by myself and my board members to ascertain whether or not Adiorondack LLC or Adirondathon LLC were or is a legitimate business, or who Mr. Olney's silent partners were. We were met with nothing but refusal to give the information which is standard operating procedure with any business entering into a contract where red flags have been raised. Therefore I WILL NOT APPEAR at the show because I consider this contract to be now Null and Void! I have spoken to my Attorney and he agrees. And have urged the other creators connected to me to do the same.

Gaelforce
08-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Well done, sir! Well done!!

Matt Doc Martin
08-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Just to inform everyone, I have asked everyone associated with me that signed a contract to appear at this show in November to ask to be released from the contract. After repeated attempts by myself and my board members to ascertain whether or not Adiorondack LLC or Adirondathon LLC were or is a legitimate business, or who Mr. Olney's silent partners were. We were met with nothing but refusal to give the information which is standard operating procedure with any business entering into a contract where red flags have been raised. Therefore I WILL NOT APPEAR at the show because I consider this contract to be now Null and Void! I have spoken to my Attorney and he agrees. And have urged the other creators connected to me to do the same.
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/applause.gif

Michael W. Kellar
08-17-2011, 03:18 PM

It has been brought to my attention that Mr. Olney has removed the "LLC" from "Adirondathon" which in my honest opinion would make my contract "Null & Void", therefore per my conversation with Mr. Murwin, I TOO WILL NOT BE APPEARING AT ADIRONDACK COMICFEST IN NOVEMBER!!!

Matt Doc Martin
08-17-2011, 03:19 PM
It has been brought to my attention that Mr. Olney has removed the "LLC" from "Adirondathon" which in my honest opinion would make my contract "Null & Void", therefore per my conversation with Mr. Murwin, I TOO WILL NOT BE APPEARING AT ADIRONDACK COMICFEST IN NOVEMBER!!!
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/applause.gif

Tom Stillwell
08-17-2011, 03:33 PM

Well done, Clayton. I know you must be feeling like a burden has been lifted off your shoulders.

MacQuarrie
08-17-2011, 03:42 PM
In this case, the proper authorities begin with the New York Secretary of State's office.

If I signed this contract, I would consider it null and void and move on. If I had invested any time or money into carrying out my part, I would pursue collection against the signatory (Richard Olney) who made himself personally liable in the contract. Read it, he is explicitly and specifically identified and expressly stated to be PERSONALLY liable, regardless of what form the company takes.

Sue the bastard.

Matt Doc Martin
08-17-2011, 03:46 PM
In this case, the proper authorities begin with the New York Secretary of State's office.

If I signed this contract, I would consider it null and void and move on. If I had invested any time or money into carrying out my part, I would pursue collection against the signatory (Richard Olney) who made himself personally liable in the contract. Read it, he is explicitly and specifically identified and expressly stated to be PERSONALLY liable, regardless of what form the company takes.

Sue the bastard.

This goes for ANYONE who can. What are you waiting for? Sue Rick Olney.

THEDOC
08-17-2011, 05:27 PM

Great news, it would had been a shame to see RO pull you into his web of crap and fraud he he has done to others.

THEDOC
08-17-2011, 05:29 PM

As I said on FB, great news!!!!!

Michael W. Kellar
08-17-2011, 05:40 PM
As I said on FB, great news!!!!!

Thank you good sir :)

Michael W. Kellar
08-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Does anyone recognize the gentleman behind the zombie and I (to the viewers left side) wearing the the light blue short sleeved shirt and the blue jeans with the black belt bent over the table talking to the bald guy wearing the orange lanyard and black t-shirt?

AIPman1
08-17-2011, 05:58 PM
not sure how or why my name was brought into active play again regarding Olney, but I will be reading this stuff closer tomorrow and will post any facts I can. I can state straight off that my family staying in the nicer hotel one exit down the freeway was discussed before we even went, and we agreed to pay up the difference, that we only would be reimbursed for one room at the same rate everyone else got, but we wanted the hotel with a pool cause my older child was bringing a friend, and were going to be watched by my mom while we did the show. We were making a family vacation out of the trip, and went to Niagra falls after the show as well. That stuff had nothing to do with Olney. I was reimbursed exactly $100 cash at the show, that was all I ever got, and while it did not cover the gas and tolls and meals for my wife to get there and attend as agreed, we did not try to pass off larger bills of the whole family. We literally paid separate. And like I said, the $100 we got, did not cover what it was supposed to at all. If I need to say more after looking closer, I will, but...geez. I've kept myself out of things for a long time, why poke at me Olney? You dont have enough people on your case?

THEDOC
08-17-2011, 07:15 PM
It's RO, Ian. What would you expect?

MacQuarrie
08-17-2011, 08:12 PM
I really need to force myself to read that idiot's blogs once in a while. I missed this one:

He quotes me:
Geoff Beckett and Shocker Toys actually have defenders and fans. Even J-Bolt has OMAR.
How many people have stepped up to defend Olney in the last five years? That ought to tell him something.

And then follows it with this:
Childish prattle. Nobody wants stalker types, as you've proven you are, bothering themselves. And frankly, I have told a healthy selection of my friends to not involve themselves. I want you right where you are ... stewin' in your own juices of hatred.
What the hell is that supposed to me? I spend a few minutes a day thinking about your nonsense, when I log in here and discuss it. Other than that you never enter my mind.

I won't speak on Beckett and Shocker Toys. Innocent until proven guilty, you dolts!
That's in a court of law, in a criminal trial, you moron. In a civil matter, there is no "guilty" or "innocent". Even if this were a criminal matter, "innocent until proven guilty" is an instruction for the jury, not the spectators. We are permitted to draw our own conclusions and form our own opinions regardless of what a judge and jury may say. OJ Simpson is a double murderer, despite what the court said. Geoff Beckett is a charlatan, and you are an idiot.

SarahBeach
08-17-2011, 08:29 PM
My hearty applause to Clayton and Michael for getting out of Olney's net. Clayton, I hope you find a far, far better venue for your book for Veteran's Day. The work you've done for that certainly deserves an audience, and a better one than what Olney might supply.

Glenn Barbis Jr.
08-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Has anyone contacted Tyler Mane's people about this latest development?

Jim Ritchey
08-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Yay Clayton and Michael!!!

Evil loses again!

Hmmm....Olney really is kinda like Randall Flagg in The Stand--but with more ego and delusion, and less honesty, charisma and competence.

MyNameIsNotLarry
08-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Speaking of contacting people. If no one has already, could someone much more well spoken than I contact his guest speaker Mrs. Parker? She's the mother of the late Eli Parker, the soldier Rick tried to say his one comic was going to be dedicated to.

When she was first announced he had her listed as Donna Storms Parker. Somewhere along the line he changed it to just Donna Parker, likely in an attempt to make it harder to Google her and get her contact information.

Here is her Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=688339065&sk=info

Obviously she is not in the comic book industry, nor would she likely be reading websites that will have information about what Rick is up to. Rick ripping off anyone is horrible. Rick ripping off the mother of a fallen soldier would be horrific.

MacQuarrie
08-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Done. Here's my note to her:

Hi Ms. Parker,

You don't know me; my name is Jim MacQuarrie, and for the last five years, I have been part of a group of comics fans and professionals who have been keeping tabs on one Rick Olney, promoter of the Adirondack Comic Fest that is listing you as a special guest in its publicity.

You should be aware that the organizer of this event (which will almost certainly never take place) is a notorious fraud who currently has three court judgments against him and by his own admission owes freelancers over $35,000 for work he commissioned and did not pay for. He actually owes more than that, but that's what he's confirmed.

He also has a long history of promising funds to various charities and never following through. In 2003 he solicited a lot of original art and held an auction to benefit St. Jude Chidren's Hospital; they never saw a penny. On other occasions, he has solicited art for auctions that never happened, and the art disappeared into his private collection. His current event is purported to benefit some unnamed Veteran's programs.

Five minutes of googling the name "Rick Olney" will produce reams of documentation of his history. The pages at BleedingCool.com are particularly concise and insightful.

I felt I should let you know about the man who is hoping to profit from the memory of your son; I wouldn't want you to get sucked any further into his web of deceit.

Regards,

Jim MacQuarrie

MacQuarrie
08-17-2011, 10:24 PM
I also took a moment to warn another noteworthy artist who was listed on one of his absurd "Adirondack Comic Fest" pages. Got an immediate "thank you for letting me know" note back.

By the way, his Adirondathon FB page still says "Adirondathon is a limited liability company." No, it's not. It's a non-existent company.

Tony Isabella
08-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Just want to add my admiration, congratulations and thanks to Clayton and Michael. They're doing the right thing and their actions will make it that much harder for Olney to add new victims to his tally.

JTPencils
08-18-2011, 03:45 AM

Good for you and your creative team. See? As soon as you press for some factual backup to his bloviating, you get the vile bile that is pure RO. He can't STAND to be pressed for cold hard facts, or worse... PROOF of anything.

You will no doubt now go from "one of his favorite creative minds"... into "one of the numerous trolls that exist just to erode away his greatness". But if you see the who's who list of those said "trolls"... you'll come to recognize that you're in good company indeed!

There is no doubt you will probably be "warned" about legal ramifications from his extended squad of shysters (which, again, he won't tell you who they are... but they're out there baby... just you believe that! HAR!)... a threat that he's repeated to "those of us that question his veracity" over and over again. Don't even give it a moments thought. The only thing that's even more imaginary then his infamous "leagle team"... is his thinking that he's a "creative force" in the comics industry. He's an insignificant, illiterate, inconsequential "wannabe", and the only reason anyone keeps watch over him, is so that he doesn't continue his quest to rip off and scam others within the comics community.

Congrats on getting out and away from this charlatan. Your time and efforts can now be better spent in attending events that a) will actually occur... and b) receive some sort of recognition (and not of the dubious disdain that is tied to RO like an iron ball and chain).

Stressfactor
08-18-2011, 05:07 AM
Just out of curiosity, do we think there ARE any silent partners or are they Olney's invisible, imaginary silent partners?

Tony Isabella
08-18-2011, 05:57 AM
Olney's partners aren't entirely silent. He can hear them in his head.

Tony

THEDOC
08-18-2011, 06:23 AM
Perhaps he has family members involved?

Tom Stillwell
08-18-2011, 06:33 AM
Just out of curiosity, do we think there ARE any silent partners or are they Olney's invisible, imaginary silent partners?

Clayton requested information on the silent partners and was denied it at every turn. I'd say no.

Shurato2099
08-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Perhaps he has family members involved?

Isn't that illegal in most states?

Stressfactor
08-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Isn't that illegal in most states?

Depends.

There are a lot of "family owned" businesses scattered around. There are certain legal requirements, though, that have to be met in order to make sure they have fair hiring practices.

But going into business with a family member isn't illegal in and of itself.

Matt Doc Martin
08-18-2011, 07:00 AM
All Rick Olney does is lie and cheat. He has no silent partners. He has no vocal partners.

Though I have to ask...who is Dave Lanphear?

Shurato2099
08-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Depends.

There are a lot of "family owned" businesses scattered around. There are certain legal requirements, though, that have to be met in order to make sure they have fair hiring practices.

But going into business with a family member isn't illegal in and of itself.

Bad joke on my part. Never ye mind. :)

MacQuarrie
08-18-2011, 07:27 AM
All Rick Olney does is lie and cheat. He has no silent partners. He has no vocal partners.

Dave is a talented artist and designer who got suckered into being Tightlip's Creative Director for a while. He stuck it out for too long despite Olney not paying him, but he walked when he found out Olney wasn't planning to pay the talent on Tales of the Spooky unitl/unless the book made a profit. He's a stand-up guy. It's a shame Olney is tossing his name around as if they're pals, when he's previously blamed Dave for all of his failings. I can assure you he is not a friend of Olney.

THEDOC
08-18-2011, 07:39 AM

http://www.comicvine.com/dave-lanphear/26-23596/

AIPman1
08-18-2011, 08:16 AM
I finally caught up on the thread. Not much else to add but

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAA you lose Rick!

and I mean that in the most mature way possible.

Gail Simone
08-18-2011, 08:27 AM
I did not see this coming.

But there you go, guys. Michael and Clayton, I don't know what to say except you both rock so hard it's ridiculous.

Tom Stillwell
08-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Dave is a talented artist and designer who got suckered into being Tightlip's Creative Director for a while. He stuck it out for too long despite Olney not paying him, but he walked when he found out Olney wasn't planning to pay the talent on Tales of the Spooky unitl/unless the book made a profit. He's a stand-up guy. It's a shame Olney is tossing his name around as if they're pals, when he's previously blamed Dave for all of his failings. I can assure you he is not a friend of Olney.

Actually Rick fired Dave. On Christmas Eve. Helluva guy, that Rick.

Michael W. Kellar
08-18-2011, 08:50 AM
I did not see this coming.

But there you go, guys. Michael and Clayton, I don't know what to say except you both rock so hard it's ridiculous.

Thank you Gail :)

Matt Doc Martin
08-18-2011, 09:25 AM

Ah. So he can use Dave as an additional excuse not to pay people. As if he needs yet MORE excuses not to pay what he owes.

Please, people, SUE THE BASTARD!

DocAbsurd
08-18-2011, 10:51 AM

Silent but deadly partners.

MacQuarrie
08-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Right. Fired him for not being a willing co-conspirator in his scheme to retroactively change everyone's deal to a back-end one without their consent.

Tom Stillwell
08-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Dave was surprised to find out that part of Rick's genius plan for paying everybody hinged on finding a printer that would not require any money up front to print the book. Because printers always do stuff like that. As in never.

AIPman1
08-18-2011, 01:34 PM
I dont know about that, cause, I have printed a number of times without having to put up any cash until it was printed and ready to deliver, so that I would only have one charge to pay...but then, that's because I have a GOOD REPUTATION with my printers, lol. People don't just walk in off the street and get books printed without at least half up front, generally.

JTPencils
08-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Right. Fired him for not being a willing co-conspirator in his scheme to retroactively change everyone's deal to a back-end one without their consent.

You see... Olney doesn't just try to change horses midstream... he figures he'll DROWN the first horse, and then another one will come by eventually. Dave took over after Jeff Austin bugged out of the CD position. Much like Dave... Jeff did a ton of work for Olney, and wasn't seeing (or even getting a HINT of ever seeing) a dime from him. So he (Jeff) left pretty soon after my own departure. Once again, Jeff was told that he would be paid for all that he had done (and that because of his "extensive/expensive" rates... that paying Jeff off would delay payments to everyone else)... guess what? Never happened (anyone surprised? Shocked?... didn't think so).

But Dave's a good guy, and he (also) stuck around too long at the "party" and found out that Olney's a blowhard that has no intention on paying anyone he comes in contact with... so when he approached the little road stain about it... was summarily fired! Whatta guy!