PDA

View Full Version : Rick Olney: Still does not pay freelancers or anyone else.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

MacQuarrie
07-03-2011, 08:43 PM
P.S., I've recently been in conversation with a number of artists who have gone unpaid from another publisher; we are investigating and reviewing contracts now in preparation for taking action. It's NOT all about the pRick. If we spend too much time on him, we let the others get away with the same stuff he pulls.

J.R. LeMar
07-03-2011, 09:30 PM
We're not here to engage in junior-high mocking;-

I agree...

It's NOT all about the pRick.

...which is why should stop calling him "pRick".

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the anthology is finally close to completion. I'm looking forward to ordering a copy the instant it's made available.

MacQuarrie
07-03-2011, 10:57 PM
I agree...

...which is why should stop calling him "pRick".

I have a specific reason for doing so. Being a sociopath and narcissistic personality, he loves to see his name on the screen. It makes him feel important regardless of context or content. His motto is "say whatever you like but spell my name correctly." Knowing that, I go to great lengths to avoid using his name whenever possible.

When you use his name in a post, he sees "blah blah blah blah MY NAME! blah blah MY NAME! blah blah..." I intend to deny him that little thrill. Substituting an insult is just an extra little kick.

Tony Isabella
07-04-2011, 01:54 PM
We could always substitute "The Vile One" for his name. On the other hand, using "Rick Olney" does serve to warn people about him when they Google that name.

HamsterRage
07-04-2011, 02:27 PM
We could always substitute "The Vile One" for his name. On the other hand, using "Rick Olney" does serve to warn people about him when they Google that name.

Yeah, honestly just talking about him makes him happy... So let's be adult and call him Rick Olney and keep this thread at the top of the Google search.

Name calling doesn't do any good... You know what does? Suing.

leftwingnutcase
07-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Name calling doesn't do any good... You know what does? Suing.

Which brings me back to my earlier question: does anyone know if Scott Reid is pursuing a bench warrant? Because, loath as I am to admit it, suing Rick Olney has yielded just about jack.

HamsterRage
07-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Which brings me back to my earlier question: does anyone know if Scott Reid is pursuing a bench warrant? Because, loath as I am to admit it, suing Rick Olney has yielded just about jack.

Wrong. Suing Olney adds dings to his credit and adds claims to his public record.

It's up to the people who file the claims to follow through.

Matt Doc Martin
07-05-2011, 05:28 AM
Wrong. Suing Olney adds dings to his credit and adds claims to his public record.

It's up to the people who file the claims to follow through.

This.

Tom Stillwell
07-05-2011, 11:34 AM
We've had similar conversations before, so let's go over it again:

When we started UNSCREWED, one of the biggest hurdles we had to overcome was that we were nothing but a group of vengeful would-be vigilantes organized solely for the purpose of harasssing Olney as payback for his actions. There were people in positions of power at both the Big Two who didn't want their contracted talent to have high-profile involvement with us; some of the artists/writers working on the Unscrewed anthology (which is almost finished!) had a difficult time getting clearance to contribute to the book because of that perception.

The most common complaint at CBR about the YABS Olney thread is that it was too often personal and abusive.

Tasteless and irrelevant jokes about anyone's personal life do not help.

Can we stick to the relevant part of all this? He is a dishonest businessman who does not honor the contracts he initiates, and it is important to warn the unwary before they get suckered by him. Jokes about his weight, hygiene, marriage, children, and speculation about his sexual proclivities do not contribute to that cause. Getting too caught up in that sort of thing will be ultimately harmful to the real work of keeping him from doing harm to others.

We're not here to engage in junior-high mocking; we're here to prevent him from committing any more fraud and to try to get some restitution to those he has already taken advantage of. The rest of it is a waste of time.

Seconded. This type of behavior has hurt Unscrewed more than any effort Olney has made against it.

AIPman1
07-07-2011, 09:10 AM
On a whim I joined that professional network thing, in 5 minutes I have:

Ian is connected to 214,320 people at 112,983 companies.

and says I'm 85 recruits away from being a guru or something. Does this Branch Out thing actually have any use?

Gail Simone
07-07-2011, 09:43 AM
I hate all those 'business' network things. They're completely useless.

AIPman1
07-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Looks to me like just a way for THEM to get YOUR contacts, so they can sell "premium job listings" to companies. bah,

Matt Doc Martin
07-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Looks to me like just a way for THEM to get YOUR contacts, so they can sell "premium job listings" to companies. bah,

All the more people that will find out RICK OLNEY will not pay them.

Matt Doc Martin
07-07-2011, 02:43 PM
THURSDAY, JULY 7, 2011

1k Pledge to be Made to Charitable Cause
$1k donation being made to this outstanding effort for a charitable cause that I have long supported. I'll be contacting the people I know at St. Jude Children's Hospital
before the end of the month to make them aware of this pledge to donate to the above. Official confirmation will be shared with readers of this blog after November 15, 2011.

Sincerely,
Rick Olney
July 7, 2011
THIS I gotta see. While we wait, maybe he will show proof of the permission he had to run an auction using St Judes name and images and/or any proof he donated the proceeds to them years ago?

Charles RB
07-07-2011, 03:36 PM
I doubt it, this is the same sort of thing he's claimed several times before. I'm not sure why he does. He knows that nobody will care until he actually does it.

MacQuarrie
07-07-2011, 03:37 PM
It's a two-way street; the corporation gets a bunch of "verified" leads to market, and the user gets to pat himself on the back about being so well-connected to such a large group of needy ego-strokers. Everybody's happy... until one of them sucks you into their network.

MacQuarrie
07-07-2011, 03:41 PM
THIS I gotta see. While we wait, maybe he will show proof of the permission he had to run an auction using St Judes name and images and/or any proof he donated the proceeds to them years ago?

Read carefully. He didn't pledge a $1000 donation; he said he would make that pledge at some point. Maybe he will. If he does, we can all be sure that he won't follow through on it and actually make the donation. If he somehow does, you can bet it will be with somebody else's money.

Matt Doc Martin
07-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Read carefully. He didn't pledge a $1000 donation; he said he would make that pledge at some point. Maybe he will. If he does, we can all be sure that he won't follow through on it and actually make the donation. If he somehow does, you can bet it will be with somebody else's money. Actually, he says a pledge will be made and does not say at all it will be from him.

So yes, SOMEONE on the planet will make a $1,000 donation. Rick Olney is not that person.

Cam63
07-07-2011, 05:38 PM
He pledged to change his underwear more than once a week, too.

...Also never happened.

Deegan
07-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Bragging about charity always rubs me the wrong way.

leftwingnutcase
07-07-2011, 05:59 PM
He pledged to change his underwear more than once a week, too.

...Also never happened.

Not appropriate.

Gail Simone
07-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Ugh. Just reading this stuff gives me the creeps.

Artful Angie
07-08-2011, 03:06 AM
Thursday, July 7, 20111k Pledge to be Made to Charitable Cause
$1k donation being made to this outstanding effort for a charitable cause that I have long supported. I'll be contacting the people I know at St. Jude Children's Hospital before the end of the month to make them aware of this pledge to donate to the above. Official confirmation will be shared with readers of this blog after November 15, 2011.

Sincerely,
Rick Olney

Here's my thoughts about this as I break down exactly what he says:

1) He doesn't actually use the term "$1,000.00". In fact he seems to go out of his way to use the "$1k" term. Why? Is this an out of his for later?

2) $1k donation being made to this outstanding effort for a charitable cause that I have long supported. But he doesn't actually SAY what charity. Because...

3) I'll be contacting the people I know at St. Jude Children's Hospital before the end of the month to make them aware of this pledge to donate to the above. Why does he need to notify St. Jude about a donation he says he's making TO St. Jude??

Maybe it's just me, and I'm reading too much into ANYTHING he has to say, but his statement reads to me like typical Olney doublespeak. Why do you have to reach out to a charitable organization to say you've made a donation to them. Won't they know that??

He never ACTUALLY mentions by name that he is donating $1,000.00 to St Jude Children's Hospital. In fact, it reads like this:

"$1k (whatever that means in pRick's head) being made to a charity I've long supported. Then I'm telling St Jude about it."

So, who's getting the money??

And more importantly, who's GIVING the money?? Not him! We know that. Is he planning on doing another "charity auction" of donated stuff that he'll keep like last time??

And speaking of which, has anyone talked to Clayton recently?? I haven't been to their website lately, but have they started promoting this scam of pRick's?? Isn't his "event" supposed to be for their organization? The last time I saw the site, they didn't have anything past October 4th, and he's been awfully quiet recently about everything he learned about pRick.

Cam63
07-08-2011, 04:17 AM
Not appropriate.

It's OK. We're old friends.

SarahBeach
07-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Regarding the usefulness of BranchOut? Seriously, I have no idea. I mean, it's a Facebook app. How much of your professional information do you have on Facebook?

For me, I prefer LinkedIn for professional networking. First off, it shows you clearly how connected you might be to someone, particularly the indirect levels. Secondly, it's a heck of a lot easier to have all your professional information there (or as much of it as you want). I've also sighed up for ReferralKey, which generally looks good, but it is limited in that it allows only one email address for your account. I have about three where a professional contact might reach me, and I find that a problem.

BranchOut just kind of creeps me out. As a Facebook app, it seems too automatic to me. Plus those medallion things make it seem like a game, not true network building. "Join my network! I don't care if you have NOTHING to share with me, I just need to add you to my list, so I can get another of these meaningless connection numbers award!" Not going there. So, of course, I'm not the least impressed with the Olney experience on BranchOut.

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Hi,

I found these sites a few days ago. I don't believe they have been posted here before.

http://adirondathon.blogspot.com/

http://adirondackcomicfest.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/comic_fest

Artful Angie
07-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks, UnLarry!

So what does the second link have to say:

Old Forge, New York in November!

Confirmed Guests

Tyler Mane, actor

Nick Jones, Actor

Also Confirmed:

Kim DeMulder
Matt Reynolds

Clayton Murwin
Valerie Finnigan
Michael W. Kellar

The three above individuals are artists and storytellers from the successful graphic novel, UNTOLD STORIES FROM IRAQ & AFGHANISTAN. The charity behind this graphic novel sweeping America is Heroes Fallen Studios, Inc., located in Timberville,Virgina. Please take a moment to visit their websites which can be found via the provided link above. It is all about the Troops, folks.

When:

November 11th at 1pm until 5pm -- Active Military and Veteran's allowed free access this day. Military must present ID card. Veteran's must show some form of proof.

November 12th at 10am to 5pm

November 13th at 10am until 5pm

Where:

Old Forge, New York

Cost: Day Rate is $15.00 per day; Saturday & Sunday Weekend Rate is $23.00 per person

More Guests and info to be listed shortly

But no ACTUAL place in Old Forge. Hmmmm..

What else does he say:

November Guest Confirmation: Arvell M. Jones

Arvell Jones has been drawing comics for a long time, his earliest work appears in Marvel Comics' Marvel Premiere #20-22 (Jan.-May 1975), drawing the martial arts superhero Iron Fist. He’s drawn for Marvel such titles as, Iron Man, Luke Cage, Avengers, Daredevil and more. Jones worked on the DC Comics series All-Star Squadron in the mid-1980s, penciling the majority of the issues released between 1985 and 1987. After leaving the comics field for several years to work in television. He returned in 1994 to provide pencils on the DC Comics/Milestone Media series Kobalt. He co-founded and managed as Executive Vice President a public company that produced websites for Microsoft, New Corporation, Oldsmobile, Chevy, Corvette, and others. For the last few years he’s headed his own production company Encode Entertainment, and produced shows for CoLours TV, he is also Adjunct Faculty in the Illustration Department at the College For Creative Studies. He returns to comics to work on two Indy titles to be released soon. For more on Arvell's artwork visit http://www.comicbook-art.com/arvelljones.htm

Okay, so we now know who we have to warn to be wary of pRick's scam. Tony, Mac, or Gail: Do you know Arvell?

Matt Doc Martin
07-09-2011, 06:54 PM
I can get in for free!

Tony Isabella
07-09-2011, 09:20 PM
I have just contacted Arvell Jones and suggested he do a quick Google search on Rick Olney. I'll be doing the same for another one of the announced guests as soon as I find his e-mail address.

Arvell is one of my oldest friends in comics and I am downright enraged that Olney is trying to scam him.

Please continue to alert people to the vileness that is Olney in every forum and venue available to you. He will never stop trying to scam people.

Tony Isabella
07-09-2011, 09:21 PM
I have just contacted Arvell Jones and suggested he do a quick Google search on Rick Olney. I'll be doing the same for another one of the announced guests as soon as I find his e-mail address.

Arvell is one of my oldest friends in comics and I am downright enraged that Olney is trying to scam him.

Please continue to alert people to the vileness that is Olney in every forum and venue available to you. He will never stop trying to scam people.

Tony Isabella
07-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Sorry for the double post.

Tony Isabella
07-09-2011, 09:23 PM
And I've just sent the same warning and suggestion to another of his announced guests.

Tony Isabella
07-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Clayton...you do realize Olney is using your name, your good reputation, and your graphic novel to entice others into doing this show, don't you?

You need to think about that long and hard.

Tony Isabella
07-09-2011, 09:33 PM
And, because I was up anyway, I just posted a new warning about Olney on Facebook and Twitter.

Tony Isabella
07-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Outside of the actors and Matt Reynolds - I don't know any of them, even as Facebook friends - I have now suggested to every announced comics guest that they do a Google search on Olney. This includes Clayton's collaborators.

If you know Reynolds or the actors, please make the same suggestion to them.

And, as previously stated, you should post warnings in every forum and venue available to you. You don't need to go into any detail. Just something like this:

"Comics and entertainment professionals...if you are contacted by an individual named Rick Olney to appear at a show or for any other purpose, do yourself a favor and Google him. You have been warned. You will be horrified by what you find."

Olney's past should be all anyone needs to make an informed decision.

Tony Isabella
07-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Man, it's quiet around here. Gail?

I suppose there has to be a first time for everything. As previously noted, whenever I have warned people about Olney, I usually receive grateful thanks from them. I'm always happy when I can prevent him for adding someone new to his long list of victims.

But, this morning, I received an angry Facebook message from someone who considers me a malicious bully who won't give poor Rick a second chance. Well, I can't do anything about someone who chooses to be willfully blind about the actions of the Vile One. Except maybe wait for the inevitable moment when the person realizes the truth about that guy and regrets their message to me. But the person I warned has asked for no further communication from me and I will respect that request.

As for the notion of denying Olney a second chance, it seems to me he's had dozens if not hundreds of chances to make things right. That he hasn't even tried to do so says everything anyone should need to know about him.

Keep sending out those warnings, people. Almost all of the people you warn will appreciate them.

Deegan
07-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Tony, I'm glad you're working hard for people gaining awareness about Rick's past, but previous posters have shown the con does have good intentions behind it, like helping out the troops.

While I'm unclear on Olney's involvement or how much he can truly benefit from this con (I have read the thread, and I know Rick is hiding his true job description), I can't help but feel we're hurting a good charity as well. You might foil Rick, but what about the other people working at the con, or the people they are trying to benefit?

Tony Isabella
07-10-2011, 11:13 AM
There is no evidence of anyone other than Olney being behind this convention. He certainly hasn't identified any other organizers nor have any other organizers come forward. In the absence of any VERIFIABLE evidence to the contrary, we have to consider this to be Olney's convention.

He's claimed to be doing conventions for charity's sake in the past and those claims proved false.

Tony Isabella
07-10-2011, 11:14 AM
And, let me add once again, that, if Olney were not running or involved in this convention, there are many posters here who would be happy to attend the show or contribute to any actual charity it benefits.

Tony Isabella
07-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Louis Manna just checked in on my Facebook page with his story of being cheated by Olney after drawing an entire comic book for him. Is he already on our list of Olney's victims?

semiwriter
07-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm not much for joining forums, but as a veteran myself (USN, 2x active duty enlisted), I have to speak up about this.

Here's the problem with Rick Olney claiming that this event is for the benefit of veterans...

Even if, by some miracle, Olney doesn't go to the Veterans organizations in the area and ask for their financial or material support (tables, chairs, etc.), how is a man who owes people that worked for him thousands of dollars going to help "benefit organizations involved with Veterans"? Please note that he has not stated that he's in contact with ANY specific veterans organization in that announcement he made. That's a red flag. If you're doing something that is going to help out a Vets organization, then you WANT the support of at least one specific organization on your announcements (Disabled Vets, American Legion, etc.) because you want and need that legitimate connection!

Now, I've never been there, but Old Forge doesn't exactly strike me as being a busy and connected place; the American Legion post there is described as "seasonal," for example. So I'm casually gauging it to be a bit small-town, and a lot of small-towners tend to be big veterans supporters, still feeling the patriotic hangover of WWII. They may be older citizens, not very tech savvy, and willing to take a man at his word.

And this is where the problem sets in. Because the local community may be duped into thinking that their patronage will be beneficial to veterans in some way.

Now, I wouldn't have any personal issue with Olney if he was just trying to run another comic book convention. That's not my field of interest. I also wouldn't have an issue if he'd began his announcements saying that he'd teamed up with a specific organization; just as the rest of you would, I'd warn that organization about him, encourage them to see figures about the convention's financial split (how much for Olney, how much for the charity), and then leave them to make their own judgments... and that would be the end of it as far a my involvement.

But as someone who works at a veterans organization here in L.A., and knows the innocent, naive nature of those who wish to "help out our heroes," this disgusts me. Because he's using a veterans holiday weekend to loop in who knows how many innocent victims that may think his actions are going to aid the community or veterans in general. (The "Veterans Breakfast," for example. That's another flag for me.)

In all honesty, we have a hard enough time with vets playing the "Vet card" to get money out of people, claiming that the purchase of something or a donation given to the vet will be applied towards that vet's organization. Instead, they keep it all. So outside agitators need not apply!

Tony Isabella
07-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Thank you, semiwriter. And thanks to others who have e-mailed me. I'll be in touch.

As for the individual who demanded I not contact them further, I would ask they would show me the same courtesy. I have no doubts about the righteousness of what I and others are doing re: Olney.

Charles RB
07-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Louis Manna just checked in on my Facebook page with his story of being cheated by Olney after drawing an entire comic book for him. Is he already on our list of Olney's victims?

That's a new one on me - surname isn't coming up on ye olde Post Log.

Artful Angie
07-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Tony, I'm glad you're working hard for people gaining awareness about Rick's past, but previous posters have shown the con does have good intentions behind it, like helping out the troops.

While I'm unclear on Olney's involvement or how much he can truly benefit from this con (I have read the thread, and I know Rick is hiding his true job description), I can't help but feel we're hurting a good charity as well. You might foil Rick, but what about the other people working at the con, or the people they are trying to benefit?

Deegan, there is NO ONE other than Olney organizing this scam. The only "veteran's organization" involved is Clayton's project. No other veteran's group here in the area is involved.

If you are concerned that we are hurting Clayton's group, then the best thing I can suggest is avoid the middle man of Olney, and go straight to their website and purchase a copy of their comic.

Artful Angie
07-10-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm not much for joining forums, but as a veteran myself (USN, 2x active duty enlisted), I have to speak up about this.

Here's the problem with Rick Olney claiming that this event is for the benefit of veterans...

Even if, by some miracle, Olney doesn't go to the Veterans organizations in the area and ask for their financial or material support (tables, chairs, etc.), how is a man who owes people that worked for him thousands of dollars going to help "benefit organizations involved with Veterans"? Please note that he has not stated that he's in contact with ANY specific veterans organization in that announcement he made. That's a red flag. If you're doing something that is going to help out a Vets organization, then you WANT the support of at least one specific organization on your announcements (Disabled Vets, American Legion, etc.) because you want and need that legitimate connection!

Now, I've never been there, but Old Forge doesn't exactly strike me as being a busy and connected place; the American Legion post there is described as "seasonal," for example. So I'm casually gauging it to be a bit small-town, and a lot of small-towners tend to be big veterans supporters, still feeling the patriotic hangover of WWII. They may be older citizens, not very tech savvy, and willing to take a man at his word.

And this is where the problem sets in. Because the local community is going to be duped into thinking that their patronage will be beneficial to veterans in some way.

Now, I wouldn't have any personal issue with Olney if he was just trying to run another comic book convention. That's not my field of interest. I also wouldn't have an issue if he'd began his announcements saying that he'd teamed up with a specific organization; I'd warn that organization about him, encourage them to see figures about the convention's financial split (how much for Olney, how much for the charity), and then leave them to make their own judgments... and that would be the end of it as far a my involvement.

But as someone who works at a veterans organization here in L.A., and knows the innocent, naive nature of those who wish to "help out our heroes," this disgusts me. Because he's using a veterans holiday weekend to loop in who knows how many innocent victims that may think his actions are going to aid the community or veterans in general. (The "Veterans Breakfast," for example. That's another flag for me.)

In all honesty, we have a hard enough time with vets playing the "Vet card" to get money out of people, claiming that the purchase of something or a donation given to the vet will be applied towards that vet's organization. Instead, they keep it all. So outside agitators need not apply!

Semi, you are right on the money about everything. This isn't a fund raiser for any of the local veterans' groups. This is all about Rick's ego. And the only reason it's taking place in Old Forge is because Rick has destroyed his own reputation in the larger area he already lives and scams in. No one in Utica, Syracuse, Herkimer, Little Falls, or Ithaca would allow him near any comic related event. He wasn't even at Albany Comic Con because he was afraid of the people there that he had screwed over in the past.

Gail Simone
07-10-2011, 06:06 PM

And this is where the problem sets in. Because the local community is going to be duped into thinking that their patronage will be beneficial to veterans in some way.

Now, I wouldn't have any personal issue with Olney if he was just trying to run another comic book convention. That's not my field of interest. I also wouldn't have an issue if he'd began his announcements saying that he'd teamed up with a specific organization; I'd warn that organization about him, encourage them to see figures about the convention's financial split (how much for Olney, how much for the charity), and then leave them to make their own judgments... and that would be the end of it as far a my involvement.

I actually think the stuff on his blog right now is for the sole purpose of looking legitimate for any guests he will attempt to invite to this 'con.'

If all they see is his blog, it looks like a couple people (who are not in the comics industry) said nice things about him, and he is donating to a
charity.

If they do five minutes of research, then they end up finding all the people he has cheated.

Gail Simone
07-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Louis Manna just checked in on my Facebook page with his story

of being cheated by Olney after drawing an entire comic book for him. Is he already on our list of Olney's victims?

I don't recognize the name. Guys?

MacQuarrie
07-10-2011, 06:07 PM
The "veterans organization" this benefits is "Rick Olney, Veteran," an organization consisting of Olney, his wife and children.

MacQuarrie
07-10-2011, 06:08 PM
It's new to me. Better add it to Rich Johnston's running total of debts owed.

Gail Simone
07-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Man, it's quiet around here. Gail?

I suppose there has to be a first time for everything. As previously noted, whenever I have warned people about Olney, I usually receive grateful thanks from them. I'm always happy when I can prevent him for adding someone new to his long list of victims.

But, this morning, I received an angry Facebook message from someone who considers me a malicious bully who won't give poor Rick a second chance. Well, I can't do anything about someone who chooses to be willfully blind about the actions of the Vile One. Except maybe wait for the inevitable moment when the person realizes the truth about that guy and regrets their message to me. But the person I warned has asked for no further communication from me and I will respect that request.

As for the notion of denying Olney a second chance, it seems to me he's had dozens if not hundreds of chances to make things right. That he hasn't even tried to do so says everything anyone should need to know about him.

Keep sending out those warnings, people. Almost all of the people you warn will appreciate them.

People have claimed to have been ripped off by Olney for ten years.

Good luck to anyone foolish enough to ignore that.

MacQuarrie
07-10-2011, 06:14 PM
A little fable for those who believe everybody deserves a second chance:

The Lady and the Snake

A young girl was trudging along a mountain path, trying to reach her grandmother's house.
It was bitter cold, and the wind cut like a knife.
When she was within sight of her destination, she heard a rustle at her feet.

Looking down, she saw a snake.
Before she could move, the snake spoke to her.
He said, "I am about to die.
It is too cold for me up here, and I am freezing.
There is no food in these mountains, and I am starving.
Please put me under your coat and take me with you."

"No," replied the girl. "I know your kind. You are a rattlesnake.
If I pick you up, you will bite me, and your bite is poisonous."

"No, no," said the snake. "If you help me, you will be my best friend.
I will treat you differently."

The little girl sat down on a rock for a moment to rest and think things over.
She looked at the beautiful markings on the snake and had to admit that it was the most beautiful snake she had ever seen.

Suddenly, she said, "I believe you. I will save you.
All living things deserve to be treated with kindness."

The little girl reached over, put the snake gently under her coat and proceeded toward her grandmother's house.

Within a moment, she felt a sharp pain in her side.
The snake had bitten her.

"How could you do this to me?" she cried.
"You promised that you would not bite me, and I trusted you!"

"You knew what I was when you picked me up," hissed the snake as he slithered away.

semiwriter
07-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Trying to get people's money on the pretense of supporting a national veterans holiday is not a new trick. My advice is that he fixes the situation NOW, before his sickness spreads beyond the comic book realm that he dwells in. If he thinks that he can backtrack and heal his reputation once he's labeled across the country as a Veterans Day leech, taking money out of the pockets of military and civilian citizens and using it to benefit no one but himself, then he's REALLY.... and I do mean, REALLY... asking to ruin what little good parts of his life that he's got left.

If anyone here knows Olney, pass on this message: if he wants to consider this an attack or yet another conspiracy, so be it. In reality, these are steps that are being taken to SAVE HIS ASS from trouble.

MacQuarrie
07-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I've been telling him for years (seriously, years; I first gave him this advice in December of 2006 (http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php/showpost.php?p=4132479&postcount=238).)

As the saying goes, you can't fix stupid.

Deegan
07-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Deegan, there is NO ONE other than Olney organizing this scam. The only "veteran's organization" involved is Clayton's project. No other veteran's group here in the area is involved.

If you are concerned that we are hurting Clayton's group, then the best thing I can suggest is avoid the middle man of Olney, and go straight to their website and purchase a copy of their comic.

Ah, then that changes things. I thought the Old Forge con had been going on for a while and Rick latched on to it.

Tom Stillwell
07-10-2011, 08:30 PM

I recognize the name. Lou drew Young All-Stars of DC back the day. I hadn't heard that he was cheated by Olney until I read it on Facebook today.

semiwriter
07-10-2011, 08:42 PM
MacQuarrie: Well, it's a shame. Because anything he's done with "bilking" people in his own industry doesn't compare to the sh-tstorm he'll be stepping into if he holds an alleged veterans benefit event, then doesn't follow through with the proper paperwork and donation amounts. This is an issue for no less than two government agencies, not to mention the local police department and veterans groups around the country. If he doesn't submit proper paperwork, legitimately align himself with a vet's group AND follow through on the donation amount required of him (I know, it's a three-step process and "you can't fix stupid," so guess the odds on that happening), then I can GUARANTEE you that he will pay the price.

This is not something that I, personally, will simply forget about or sit back and bitch about online. I am a veteran and I have seen QUITE enough people playing that particular Veterans card for selfish, monetary gain. If Rick Olney really is a veteran of the Marine Corps (which means that he joined at the age of 17, as he claims 1971-74 to be his years of service), then I'm further disgusted that he would be doing this against the veteran community as a whole and undermining the integrity of his own people, as it were.

MacQuarrie
07-10-2011, 09:53 PM
MacQuarrie: Well, it's a shame. Because anything he's done with "bilking" people in his own industry doesn't compare to the sh-tstorm he'll be stepping into if he holds an alleged veterans benefit event, then doesn't follow through with the proper paperwork and donation amounts. This is an issue for no less than two government agencies, not to mention the local police department and veterans groups around the country. If he doesn't submit proper paperwork, legitimately align himself with a vet's group AND follow through on the donation amount required of him (I know, it's a three-step process and "you can't fix stupid," so guess the odds on that happening), then I can GUARANTEE you that he will pay the price.

This is not something that I, personally, will simply forget about or sit back and bitch about online. I am a veteran and I have seen QUITE enough people playing that particular Veterans card for selfish, monetary gain. If Rick Olney really is a veteran of the Marine Corps (which means that he joined at the age of 17, as he claims 1971-74 to be his years of service), then I'm further disgusted that he would be doing this against the veteran community as a whole and undermining the integrity of his own people, as it were.
He definitely is a USMC veteran; I requested and received his service record. I've posted it before.
http://www.jimmacq.com/olney/olney-1.jpg
http://www.jimmacq.com/olney/olney-2.jpg
http://www.jimmacq.com/olney/olney-3.jpg

Gail Simone
07-10-2011, 10:49 PM
I just got the weirdest note from someone on Facebook about Rick, from a name I don't recognize. I have no idea what they are talking about.

It's weird as hell.

semiwriter
07-10-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm getting the impression that ANYTHING having to do with Rick Olney is weird as hell...

Gail Simone
07-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Ah, I got it, it's one of the guests to his con.

Good luck to them, but anyone who thinks the huge list of names of cheated people is 'hearsay,' is...well, what can I say? Denial is denial.

Unfortunately, they'll find out the truth soon enough like everyone else who ever trusted this man.

semiwriter
07-10-2011, 11:30 PM
As has been pointed out elsewhere, if Rick Olney was just another scammer who tried to pull a few tricks on people, his name would have long since disappeared by now. But it hasn't. And neither have his continued efforts to make a name for himself in the comic world--efforts which go hand-in-hand with the number of small-claims court cases he's lost but hasn't paid up on.

Huh. Funny how the word "con" takes on a whole new meaning now.

"Hearsay." Surely, surely, this person has some sort of spell-check on their computer?

MacQuarrie
07-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Meanwhile, I've just set some wheels in motion that may (if I get approval from the right people) result in my editing and publishing (or co-publishing, depending on circumstances) a really cool project to benefit a really worthy charity or two.

I would not have the knowledge, skills, contacts or confidence to even consider pitching this project if not for the people I've met through the various Olney discussions online, so I guess he's indirectly responsible. After all, he brought all these smart, successful, talented, and above all, generous and gracious people together. Thanks, Rick! The more you screw up your life and career, the better mine gets.

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-11-2011, 12:35 AM
In all this new information I was thinking something was being overlooked. So I went back to http://adirondathon.blogspot.com/ and noticed the header information.

"Adirondathon exists to inspire your imagination. We offer antiques, unique collectables, new comics, old comics, rare books, records, and a bevy of fun events held each year in the greater Adirondack Region"

One of the tabs, empty like the others is for a storefront. If I recall, hasn't Rick given all his stuff to one of his sons in case creditors come calling? To me it seems like this is a way for Rick to sell his personal items for money without using his name as the seller.

I also noticed that the one entry that exists was posted by someone named Catherine Light. I did a quick check and found her Facebook but no need to post a personal Facebook page. She lists Rick as a friend and apparently is in sales/marketing as well as being something called an eBrandingPro.

Her profile image is for a company called Adirondack Special Events. They have a Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/AdirondackSpecialEvents

One of the things they "like" is, Adirondathon, LCC

Adirondack Special Events lists it's first event as, Forgefest 2011 which is in you guessed it Old Forge, NY

Adirondack Special Events lists 4 owners. One of those owners lists Rick as a personal friend on her Facebook.

They also have a website: http://adirondackspecialevents.com/

There is no mention of Rick or his Adirondack ComicFest but I think things point to this company perhaps being involved somehow? They offer services in setting up events in Old Forge and Rick did claim to be working with someone when speaking to Clayton Murwin.

One of the services they offer is, "Organizational events (municipal and regional geared to attract tourist dollars, charitable, sales, expos, fundraisers"

Apologies if this comes across confusing or is irrelevant.

Artful Angie
07-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Ah, then that changes things. I thought the Old Forge con had been going on for a while and Rick latched on to it.

No. There are no comic conventions is Central New York specifically BECAUSE of Rick Olney. The closest are Conventions in Syracuse or Albany. People hear about a convention in this area and assume Olney is involved after doing research on the area, so yet another reason he's a detriment to The Mohawk Valley.

The closest thing Old Forge has to its benefit is a water park. When Olney tried to host his super-secret scam in 2007 that's where it was supposed to be held. But no one can seem to confirm it ever happened except Rick.

If you want to see the bustling metropolis that is Old Forge, check out the town's webcam setup at http://www.oldforge.net/main/

Artful Angie
07-11-2011, 01:42 AM
Rick's service record is hardly impressive. Three years in and he only made Corporal?

And what is this??? He has a UA on his file?? RICK OLNEY WENT AWOL???

Take a look at his time just before he was discharged. UA means Unauthorized Absence. AWOL of course is Absent WithOut Leave. Then he's not shown to be stationed anywhere else substanial, and is discharged from the USMC.

Rick has often stated himself that he is "such a non-conformer". Remember the high school class picture he ruined for everybody else by flipping the bird?

Is it possible that this staunch supporter of veterans' causes was politely shown the door at the end of his stellar career?

Artful Angie
07-11-2011, 01:46 AM
As has been pointed out elsewhere, if Rick Olney was just another scammer who tried to pull a few tricks on people, his name would have long since disappeared by now. But it hasn't. And neither have his continued efforts to make a name for himself in the comic world--efforts which go hand-in-hand with the number of small-claims court cases he's lost but hasn't paid up on.

Huh. Funny how the word "con" takes on a whole new meaning now.

"Hearsay." Surely, surely, this person has some sort of spell-check on their computer?

Semi, here's the thing. The only veterans' group he claims to be supporting with the scam is Clayton's veterans' comic book project. Nowhere else does he say he is supporting any other veterans' group.

He barely makes it legible that he MIGHT be donating $1,000.00 POSSIBLY to St. Jude. There's still something up his sleeve about that based on how he worded that.

Matt Doc Martin
07-11-2011, 02:03 AM
Even their logo is nor original. It is a black and white image of a William Holbrook Beard painting. http://adirondathon.blogspot.com/

HamsterRage
07-11-2011, 05:26 AM
Yeah that pretty damn dismal.

My dad was in from 68-72 was stationed in Okinawa, and made it to Sergeant.

Charles RB
07-11-2011, 06:02 AM
In all this new information I was thinking something was being overlooked. So I went back to http://adirondathon.blogspot.com/ ...

Interesting stuff.

leftwingnutcase
07-11-2011, 06:11 AM
No. There are no comic conventions is Central New York specifically BECAUSE of Rick Olney. The closest are Conventions in Syracuse or Albany. People hear about a convention in this area and assume Olney is involved after doing research on the area, so yet another reason he's a detriment to The Mohawk Valley.

Ithacon hasn't suffered from Rick Olney one bit! That said, one of my friends who is very influential in the local comics and commerce communities had this to say:

He came to one of our shows many years ago. Tried to start his own show near Utica and was a big BOMB. Roger Stern was a guest, he said he a great time but not many attendees. I believe later on, Rick also tried a show in Syracuse that made the Hotels distrust anybody puting together a local comics show. Bad news all around, he really should look at another career.

semiwriter
07-11-2011, 06:13 AM
My father was in during Korea (drafted) but never went overseas; he refused to advance to Sergeant by getting in fights or because of other issues that resulted in the ripping off of his stripes (which he seems quite happy about describing to this day--he's 84). When he was about to be discharged, the Army came to his group and offered Sergeant status to anyone that stayed in. Can't blame him for walking away, as he faced a lot of racism for being Puerto Rican. The Army started off on the wrong foot with him because when he went in for his physical--allegedly just a day-long thing--they kept him, wouldn't let him call anyone, and it took six weeks before he finally got access to a telephone. By that time, his landlady in Detroit thought he was dead and threw out what few possessions he had.

Hey, does anyone know when Rick's first attempt at putting on 'Cons might have been? About what year?

Deegan
07-11-2011, 06:23 AM
I can't figure out why Beard art was decided to be the premiere logo of this comic book convention.

WilRadcliffe
07-11-2011, 07:48 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the rank of corporal. My father served in the army during Korea and left with the rank of Corporal. And if I could be half the man he was, I'd be twice as much man as anyone else.

Rick Olney is a lying deadbeat. I can agree with you on that. But when you start picking at inconsequential details like his final rank in the marines, you stray from the point at hand and potentially offend those who might otherwise be inclined to help spread the word.

semiwriter
07-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Rick Olney is a lying deadbeat. I can agree with you on that. But when you start picking at inconsequential details like his final rank in the marines, you stray from the point at hand and potentially offend those who might otherwise be inclined to help spread the word.

Quite right. Anyway, there's already plenty to resent Olney for without resorting to cracks about his military career!

JTPencils
07-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Meanwhile, I've just set some wheels in motion that may (if I get approval from the right people) result in my editing and publishing (or co-publishing, depending on circumstances) a really cool project to benefit a really worthy charity or two.

I would not have the knowledge, skills, contacts or confidence to even consider pitching this project if not for the people I've met through the various Olney discussions online, so I guess he's indirectly responsible. After all, he brought all these smart, successful, talented, and above all, generous and gracious people together. Thanks, Rick! The more you screw up your life and career, the better mine gets.

Mac, I'm anxious to hear about this!

Gail Simone
07-11-2011, 09:13 AM
I keep saying this, but Rick served his country as a Marine.

I do not find anything acceptable in trying to diminish that.

Whatever awful thing he is now, he served his country. Good for him. That is absolutely to his credit.

Gail Simone
07-11-2011, 09:14 AM
This conversation I had on Facebook is the saddest and most gleefully prideful betrayal of other freelancers it's been my displeasure to witness. Sad.

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Interesting stuff.
Thank you. I have long appreciated the job of cataloguing you do.

Gail Simone
07-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Dear Comics Professional,

If you are approached by an individual named Rick Olney or a representative of this man, if you are approached by Olney or anyone else representing entities known as The Mighty Mini-Con, TightLip Entertainment, or ORCA, we strongly urge you to run in the other direction.

There is a very long, very well-documented history of non-payment, deceit, emotional manipulation, and fraud in connection with this man and his projects. Despite searching and publicly requesting evidence for over three months, nobody has been able to produce any evidence of any artist ever having been paid in full for their work for TightLip. Many attending professionals to his conventions were promised reimbursement of their expenses, but while some were provided with lodging, none are known to have received full compensation for travel and meal costs, and many have been the subject of vicious personal attacks as a result of having inquired about the promised reimbursement. In addition, Mr. Olney has a considerable history of erratic and unprofessional behavior on many message forums and mailing lists on the internet, several of which have banned him due to his frequently racist, sexist, and homophobic rants, as well as his willingness to hurl vicious insults in response to legitimate questions about his business practices.
As far as we can tell, nearly everyone who has ever had any professional contact with TightLip, the Mighty Mini-Con, or Rick Olney, has a "war story" to tell about being misled, cheated, and used.

You can find more details here:

http://www.unscrewedcomic.com/

Please, do not attempt to do business with Olney. In fact, please pass along this warning to any comics professionals, aspiring comics professionals, retailers, exhibitors, media guests, and fans you know.

Do business with Olney at your own risk.

We would prefer to not do this in such a public manner, but, with Olney again advertising a convention and claiming that he is still planning to publish comic books, the greater good demands we speak out.

Check out the website.

Thank you for your attention,
the Undersigned

Shelly Kennedy, Webmaster Unscrewed!
Danny Donovan, Various independent Comics, 911 Emergency Relief by Alternative Comics, Radio Free Comicks
Dave Rothe, Ant #'s 6-9 from Image Comics
Tom Stillwell, Writer/Creator of The Honor Brigade from Spinner Rack Comics
Kurt Busiek, Astro City, Superman
Paul D. Storrie, Revisionary, Gotham Girls, Robin Hood
Scott Reed, Web's Best Comics
Tony Isabella, Black Lightning, Tony's Tips
Chuck Dixon, DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Bongo, Wildstorm
Joanne Ellen Mutch, Rummblestrips, Potlatch, LOTR sketch card artist,
Kevin Huxford, ShotgunReviews.com/Newsarama Contributor
Timothy J Tobolski, UNSCREWED! editor-in-chief
Jim Taylor, The Wraith
Mike Bullock, Lions Tigers & Bears, The Phantom
Blake M. Petit, Comixtreme.com
Scott Shaw!, CAPTAIN CARROT, THE SIMPSONS, SONIC THE HEDGEHOG
Jeff Austin, AC Comics
James Ritchey III, Green Lama, Team Defiant!
Danielle Sylvie Taylor, Hollow
Colin McMahon, New Dimension Comics-McMurray
Wil Radcliffe, Noggle Stones
Larime Taylor, Writer/Creator of HOLLOW, Archaia Studios Press
Mercedes R Lackey, Valdemar Series, DAW Books
Larry Dixon, DAW, Baen Books
Jim MacQuarrie, MonkeySpit.net
Alice Woodside, The Daredevil Anniversary Art Quilt Project
Sean McKeever, writer
Steven D. Forbes, Writer of Bullet Time, Co-Writer of Fallen Justice, EiC of Paper Dragonz
Koben Kelly, Newsarama.com, Best Shots, ShotgunReviews.com
Sarah Beach, editor, writer - Shooting Star Comics Anthology #1, Unscrewed! anthology
Lance Boucher, Inter-Fan Productions
Colleen Doran, A Distant Soil
Nat Gertler, About Comics
Johanna Draper Carlson, Comics Worth Reading
Joe Zierman, artist - Big Bang Comics
Martin R. Oakley, formerly of Bloodstained Productions, writer/artist
Kneon Transitt, Gemstone Publishing
Gail Simone, Birds of Prey, Villains United, Gen13, Welcome to Tranquility, Atom
Frank Dirscherl, The Wraith
James A. Owen, Starchild, Mythworld, and Here, There Be Dragons
Richard Neal, Eisner winner Zeus Comics
Brian Pate, Comic Book Conventions.com
Cully Hamner, BLUE BEETLE, DC Comics
Erik Burnham, Shooting Star Comics
Scott McCullar, Shooting Star Comics, DC Comics, West End Games
Butch Guice, Marvel Artist
Brian J. Crowley, Graphic Designer DDP
Gerry Alanguilan, Superman: Birthright, Batman/Danger Girl, Silent Dragon (Wildstorm)
Michael Netzer, DC & Marvel artist
and here's the open letter from Michael Netzer about him:
An Open Letter to Rick Olney
Comics
Written by MN (Michael Netzer)

Wednesday, 06 December 2006

Hello Rick,

As a friend whom I've known for several years and a supporter of my efforts on behalf of the comics creators, I'd prefer not to rebuke you publicly as I'm about to, regarding the recent controversy with your lateness of payment to comics creators whom you contracted for work, and the subsequent open criticism of your actions by Rich Johnston and others. I do this, however, because of our friendship, in hopes that you'd take heed of the damage you bring upon yourself by your conduct.

I was sorry, as surely anyone who knew you was, at hearing about the passing away of your mother, may she rest in peace. I was also sorry, however, to hear your repeated complaints regarding your personal problems and the persistent touting of your misfortunes as an excuse for your failures. Since I've known you, you've been of the more outspoken big talkers in the comics community, wherein every convention and event you've attempted to organize appears to have been afflicted by one unfortunate circumstance after the other. The problem is that we come to hear and remember more about your personal difficulties than the failed endeavors you organize. You might have saved us all one needless sorrow by complaining less and doing a little more, but such is apparently beyond you.

Everyone suffers personal difficulties that can otherwise destroy endeavors they undertake. Most good people, however, choose to shed less crocodile tears and carry on with their lives. Your misfortunes are the title of your inevitable biography and it is a saddening one because you use them to conceal your ineptness and hypocritical ulterior motives, as you persist in falsely espousing a regard for truth and justice in your conduct. There is no truth and justice in how you're conducting yourself now, Rick. It's time to take a good look at your actions and consider the repercussions they bring.

The creators, Chuck Dixon, Val Staples and others, who've stepped forth asking for payment for their work, are not at fault here. They trusted you by producing work for you. You are the one who owes them and you're the one who's avoiding them, as they've stated openly. Your response, to pursue litigation procedures against them for violating non-disclosure agreements, reveals you for the deceitful man you are. All your hypocritical rantings regarding justice for the creators, over the years, are now washed down the drain, as you reveal yourself to be no better than others who've taken this course before you.

Tight Lip Entertainment/Rich Johnston and others have been more than fair with you, in the face of your belligerent threats to pursue legal actions against creators whom you owe money to. Have you no shame? No conscience? No inclination of the stain you bring upon your reputation? Is your wallowing in the publicity of this affair blinding you to the damage it inflicts upon you and others?

Is the outstretched tongue in your logo meant to reflect your disregard for the creators you hire, while you conceal it with the false and hypocritical mask of love-struck eyes?

You say that: " Since this has began we've nearly completed Tales of The Spooky ..2, hired and placed 4 new artists of note, in motion. And anchored our June 07 Mighty Minicon."

Well Rick, if you can do all this now, why can't you simply pay the creators whom you owe money to, before continuing on with business as usual? Are you using your misfortune, and now theirs, to evade paying them and then sueing them for taking you to task for it, Rick?

Are you doing the same thing to these comics creators as you did to the web hosting service which asked me to intervene on their behalf two years ago, due to your evading paying them for services they gave you? Is this your modus operandi; to use personal tragedies and misfortunes in order to abuse the goodwill of others, while promising to pay for them, and never doing so?

You understand I'm at liberty to disclose your withholding of payment to the web hosting service because I never signed a non-disclosure agreement about it with you. In all fairness though, I'm willing to sign one now, retro-actively, so that you can sue me also for violating it. Just send me a copy and I'll sign it, if this is the way you choose to conduct your affairs.

Or change your ways, Rick Olney. Stop avoiding those you owe money to and compensate them for their work. Stop making excuses by publicly complaining about your misfortunes and get on with your work. Do not begin new endeavors while you have previous unfulfilled obligations. Apologize to everyone whom you've defamed with your accusations.

Straighten your ways, Rick. All the lawyers in the world can't wipe away the stain that covers you now.

MacQuarrie
07-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Mac, I'm anxious to hear about this!
Me too. Emails have been sent. As soon as I know, you'll know.

leftwingnutcase
07-11-2011, 02:31 PM
This conversation I had on Facebook is the saddest and most gleefully prideful betrayal of other freelancers it's been my displeasure to witness. Sad.

Without divulging too many details, would you mind telling me what conversation you mean?

Gail Simone
07-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Just one of the attendees spewing out ugly, embarrassing, co-dependent crap that it doesn't matter how many freelancers and other people Rick has cheated as long as SHE doesn't get cheated.

I have never, ever heard a freelancer talk like that. It was positively nauseating. Good luck to her but I hope I never speak to anyone like her again. She is EXACTLY the kind of selfish, gullible person
in need of validation that Rick preys on.

Charles RB
07-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Thank you. I have long appreciated the job of cataloguing you do.

I'm appreciative that someone else is doing it so I don't have to ;)

semiwriter
07-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Just one of the attendees spewing out ugly, embarrassing, co-dependent crap that it doesn't matter how many freelancers and other people Rick has cheated as long as SHE doesn't get cheated. I have never, ever heard a freelancer talk like that. It was positively nauseating. Good luck to her but I hope I never speak to anyone like her again. She is EXACTLY the kind of selfish, gullible person in need of validation that Rick preys on.

Once she gets bitten, she'll hopefully have sense enough to have learned her lesson. Hopefully. But there is something that has bugged me about past reports on Rick: people wash their hands of him and essentially allow him to keep going. This Old Forge thing could be a BIG mistake, and in terms of crime, this is like a petty thief resulting to bank robbery. Claiming to host a veterans' benefit but not naming the organizations? That is some serious escalation he's got going.

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Just one of the attendees spewing out ugly, embarrassing, co-dependent crap that it doesn't matter how many freelancers and other people Rick has cheated as long as SHE doesn't get cheated.
Since as far as I know there is only one female attendee listed so far, I can assume who you mean. She use to post on two other websites I've been a member of. Use to being the keyword as she was banned from one and pretty much asked to leave from the other. Co-Dependent and "as long as it doesn't hurt ME" describe her to a tee. I tried a few times to reply to outlandish things she would write and she's stick her fingers in her ears and declare she was right no matter what anyone said. Not a shock at all she found her way into Rick's world.

JTPencils
07-11-2011, 09:08 PM

I have never, ever heard a freelancer talk like that. It was positively nauseating. Good luck to her but I hope I never speak to anyone like her again. She is EXACTLY the kind of selfish, gullible person
in need of validation that Rick preys on.

Wait,.... she'll be back later and say "OMG,.... you were SO right! How could I have not listened! What do I do now?..."

It's inevitable.

Gail Simone
07-11-2011, 11:04 PM
She swears I know her, but I have zero recollection of her at all...but I am bad with names.

She came out swinging on FB pm, about how I had called her foolish. I had to ask, excuse me, how could I do that when I have absolutely no idea who you are?

She finally retracted that accusation with a bunch more bullshit.

I hate to say it, but yeah, she and Olney seem a perfect match.

Tom Stillwell
07-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Unfortunately I've run into this kind of attitude before with freelancers in comics. It's much too common, especially among folks who have made it to the Big Two. I hear a lot of "But that's just how it is.", "Everyone has to pay their dues.", "It's not really that big a deal." and "It's unprofessional to talk about this stuff publically."

I dunno. Maybe I won't ever work for the Big Two because I speak out against this stuff. Maybe it marks me as a rabble rouser. That's okay. I'd rather never work for Marvel or DC and have done the right thing than keep my head down and let people get screwed over.

Gaelforce
07-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Rick Olney Blog Update 7/12/11:

Sticks and stones, you know?

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. ~ Ayn Rand

Much has been said of me online and elsewhere. I have stood up against one half of a story that truly deserves to be told; a story not imaginatively devised by pseudonyms wielding half truths, libel, and inaccuracies. Unmasked pseudonyms shall certainly shed light on motive. Well, other than the apparent attempt to continually 'spin' lies.

The posts made elsewhere are written addressing ethics, yet the words are nothing but insults and libelous slights against me. Much has been alleged, but nothing has been proven. So empty words prevail. I have quoted Ayn Rand because her words fit my demeanor. The glass is always half full with me. I'm an optimist.

I do not achieve just for myself. I achieve for those that believe in me against the hatred and smear; I achieve for those that I owe, so that I may begin to right the wrongs. And, I achieve because I'm a creative juggernaut. Sticks and stones, you know?

Oh, and there is a new publishing imprint coming soon.

Tom Stillwell
07-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Juggernaut? Seriously?

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Tony Isabella
07-12-2011, 10:19 AM
I know it's wrong, but I can't stop myself from giggling when Olney gets all delusional. I have rarely met anyone with less of a grasp of reality.

Gail Simone
07-12-2011, 10:25 AM
HAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, my GOD.

A "creative JUGGERNAUT!"

HAHAHAHAAHAHAA!

That is the best thing I've ever read. I am DYING.

Gail Simone
07-12-2011, 10:32 AM
How can you be a creative juggernaut when you can't write, you have zero understanding of English, grammar, spelling or style, you haven't have an original idea in your life, all your 'characters' are thinly veiled rip-offs of the work of ACTUAL creators, AND you're about as bright as a wet sack of unpopped corn?

Jesus, that is DELUSION.

Oh, and I love that he's doing this for OTHERS...would that include all the freelancers who hate your guts because you lied to them and cheated them, Rick?
Because guess what?

ALL OF THEM wish they'd never HEARD YOUR NAME.

Gail Simone
07-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Jesus, I can't stop laughing.

You know what separates a deluded fanfoy from a real writer faster than anything? Deluded fanboys TALK about this stuff. They have to have that constant reinforcement, they have to constantly repeat the delusion, because the reality is they have accomplished nothing and no one thinks their work is precious and special. Again and again, we see Rick repeat these wonderful myths about himself. Why? Because NO ONE ELSE shares any of those opinions about him.

A real writer doesn't have to blather on about their "drive." It's embarrassing, it's unseemly. If you are a writer, your WORK does this for you.

But of course, Rick HAS no work, no accomplishments, no readers, and no defenders.

So he has to make up all this nonsense, like he's pretending to be a spaceman or a firefighter, and repeat it endlessly. Because no one
else ever will, ever.

Because he's not a creative juggernaut, he's a lying, lazy, deadbeat, untalented fanboy in a stained and smelly Thing t-shirt, planning
things he can never follow through on.

Embarrassing.

Hey, attendee, I know you're reading this.

Isn't it interesting that NO PREVIOUS ATTENDEES of Rick's cons are coming to this event?

What does that tell you?

Because if you weren't kidding yourself, you'd realize that Rick HAS no name pros who would ever,
EVER, deal with him again.

CutterMike
07-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Oh, and there is a new publishing imprint coming soon.

So he's taking a page from the Rupert Murdoch playbook -- when a property (News of the World, Tightlip) becomes too toxic, ditch it and start "clean".

...Which only really works if the owners of the new marque have clean hands, and not the same filthy ones that made the old one toxic in the first place...

...And he's quoting Ayn "Lie-and-Cheat-as-Long-as-You're-Being-True-to-Yourself" Rand...? Why am I not surprised...?

JTPencils
07-12-2011, 11:10 AM
"Much has been alleged, but nothing has been proven"..? Is he serious? Then it must be that those lawsuits he lost were by alleged judges who didn't require any sort of proof that he owes money. Ya know... they way they normally just hand out decisions to anyone who cares.

He really has lost his tenuous grip on reality.

That's bad enough... "creative juggernaut"? That just made me nearly fall off my chair in spasms of laughter.

semiwriter
07-12-2011, 11:16 AM
What he's planning to do now is stepping out of the comic book and convention world that he has sullied and going after the small-town values and support that people provide for legitimate organizations. This is the kind of thing that hurts veterans, their families and the community in general!

Like I said, I'm a vet. It's hurtful to me that a fellow vet with his current financial and professional reputation is doing this. You cannot advertise an event to "benefit veterans' organizations" without having prior approval FROM those organizations!

And hey, if he can round up the approval and paperwork, that's great! Then it just becomes a matter of him paying out at the end, per legal requirements--which makes any failure to pay HIS issue and not that of the local businesses that hosted him.

(Better yet, if he drops any and all advertising that claims this to be "for the vets," then he's off the hook with me. Let him go around and do another convention. I couldn't care less. But until he provides proof of his veterans' intentions, he's nothing but another con artist and I will NOT sit back and let him take advantage of innocent people.)

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-12-2011, 11:54 AM
HAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, my GOD.

A "creative JUGGERNAUT!"
More like JuggerNOT am I right?

/crickets

Tom Stillwell
07-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Part of me wants to Rick to follow through with his scam-a-vet-a-thon. Not so he'll scam vets. No, so the feds will prosecute him to the full extent of the law.

MacQuarrie
07-12-2011, 12:11 PM
How can you be a creative juggernaut when you can't write, you have zero understanding of English, grammar, spelling or style, you haven't have an original idea in your life, all your 'characters' are thinly veiled rip-offs of the work of ACTUAL creators, AND you're about as bright as a wet sack of unpopped corn?
There are a lot of creative juggernauts out there who exactly fit the description you gave. They create story after story, comic after comic, great steaming piles of creative garbage.

The difference between them and Rick is that they actually do it, while Rick uses all his creative energy talking about what he's going to do someday.

Artful Angie
07-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Okay, it's a truly tasteless joke, but it's not entirely my fault, becuase it's based on something else. And I know it's shouldn't be said, but just forget it as soon as you read it. I don't mean it anyway, I just wanted to throw out a quick quip.

My first thought when he called himself a juggernaut, and read The Princess Bride reference was that picture that was on the Olney Mock Blog, with the man boobs picture of Rick.

"Maybe he thinks it's Latin for Juggs and Nuts."

I have suitably punished myself for this joke. OW!!!!

Artful Angie
07-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Now, seriously though. He mentions people slandering him "online and elsewhere". Well, where is the elsewhere that he's being slandered if it's not online? Would this be that place Rick tends to avoid, called "reality"??

JTPencils
07-12-2011, 02:52 PM
The difference between them and Rick is that they actually do it, while Rick uses all his creative energy talking about what he's going to do someday.

In that sense... he's very much like a Bond villain. Cackling on about what he's GOING to do. But never achieves that nefarious goal.

Artful Angie
07-12-2011, 04:56 PM
In that sense... he's very much like a Bond villain. Cackling on about what he's GOING to do. But never achieves that nefarious goal.

"No, Miss Simone. I expect me to succeed! Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha"

CutterMike
07-12-2011, 06:15 PM

And, with that -- A musical interlude (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GJIVuEUro0&feature=related), specially selected for rICK!

Cam63
07-12-2011, 06:42 PM
"No, Miss Simone. I expect me to succeed! Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha"

You beat me to that one.

semiwriter
07-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Now, seriously though. He mentions people slandering him "online and elsewhere". Well, where is the elsewhere that he's being slandered if it's not online? Would this be that place Rick tends to avoid, called "reality"??

"Elsewhere" is "reality"? Ew. Icky people who tell the truth and sue for what's owed them dwell in reality...

J.R. LeMar
07-13-2011, 12:45 AM

Here's my fair and balanced review of their comic: UNTOLD TALES FROM IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN: THE COMIC-BOOK (http://fookyoutwit.com/2011/07/12/untold-tales-from-iraq-and-afghanistan-the-comic-book/)

Artful Angie
07-13-2011, 02:11 AM
Here's my fair and balanced review of their comic: UNTOLD TALES FROM IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN: THE COMIC-BOOK (http://fookyoutwit.com/2011/07/12/untold-tales-from-iraq-and-afghanistan-the-comic-book/)

I see you got comments posted from Clayton and Valerie. Valerie is one of the followers on Rick's Adironathon page. You should invite her to check out his history.

Gail Simone
07-13-2011, 08:06 AM
I don't want to go on about the attendees. My discussion with one of them via Facebook was very repulsive to me, but who knows, maybe they really believe his bullshit.

In which case, they're victims, not villains.

Artful Angie
07-13-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm not even sure she is an attendee. Her blogspot bio lists her as living in Idaho or someplace out west. If she is planning to travel that distance just to attend a con that no one here in Central New York even knows about, then there's something going on.
I figured it was Rick trolling the comic fan pages on Facebook to make it look like he had a following. But the Adironathon page only has 5 followers.

Gail Simone
07-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Well, regardless, she hasn't cheated anyone, so the focus is still on Rick, who seems to love looking at monkeys almost as much as overflowing toilet bowls of excrement, for some reasons.

Artful Angie
07-13-2011, 11:26 AM
I know. I feel sorry for the people that come into contact with him and then try to defend his impugned honor without knowing all the facts. Because you know down the road just past where they can't see yet is that moment in their minds when they read the facts about what Rick has done. And you almost want to hug them when the light in their eyes comes on. Because you know how they feel about how they acted for the little guy, only to find out he was the villain not the victim.

J.R. LeMar
07-13-2011, 11:42 AM
I see you got comments posted from Clayton and Valerie. Valerie is one of the followers on Rick's Adironathon page. You should invite her to check out his history.

Well, the purpose of that review was just to help promote the book, which supports a worthy cause. I have no interest in bringing Olney into that discussion.

However I did decide to post the Warning letter about Olney on my other blog, so that will be one more link on the internet when someone looks him up. I tweaked it a bit, to include mentions of Adirondathon and the comics fest, plus instead of a link to unscrewed, I just put links to the various Bleeding Cool articles about Olney, I think those would give a casual readers a better full understanding of who he is.

A WARNING TO COMICS PROFESSIONALS ABOUT RICK OLNEY (http://fookyoutwit.net/2011/07/13/a-warning-to-comics-professionals-about-rick-olney/)

Everyone feel free to Like It, +1 it, Tweet It, Reddit, Digg It, or StumbleUpon It, to help it get out there across the net.

Cam63
07-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Well, regardless, she hasn't cheated anyone, so the focus is still on Rick, who seems to love looking at monkeys almost as much as overflowing toilet bowls of excrement, for some reasons.

You've never eaten truck stop food, have you...?

Cam63
07-13-2011, 03:23 PM

It's not slander when it's the truth, Richard.

Tom Stillwell
07-13-2011, 03:48 PM
And while Rick blabbers on about what he'll never do, the rest of us just do...

http://kck.st/pCwv4Q

Gail Simone
07-13-2011, 04:33 PM
I thought it was a nice review, JR.

But seriously, what do you think it is about a grown man so obsessed with toilet bowls full of feces?

Very creepy and gross, yet he's done it enough times that it's very telling about him, I think.
Great way to represent his convention and fake fanboy businesses, huh?

A psychiatrist would have a field day.

Cam63
07-13-2011, 04:50 PM
There's something for everyone ?

Tony Isabella
07-13-2011, 05:00 PM
A while back, I posted this on my Facebook page:

The courts mandate the payments, but they don't help the victims collect them

Then I received this from an attorney:

Tony,

Ouch, it's hard for me to let that statement go. To be precise, a judge signs a judgment indicating a defendant owes money to a plaintiff (not a "victim," which is a term reserved in criminal cases). The courts DO have avenues for the collection process, be it garnishment, execution of property, etc. The plaintiff has to take positive steps to attempt collection, which are done through court process. I've collected many a judgment in my day all through court process, and even had one defendant jailed for failing to attend a deposition in aid of execution. It's funny how he all of a sudden found some money to pay my client's judgment. Talk to a collection's attorney in the jurisdiction where your defendant is located. It may take some effort and expense, but you may collect.

My thanks for the clarification.

Tony

Cam63
07-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Make believe attorneys don't count.

Cam63
07-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Like make believe accountants.

Tony Isabella
07-13-2011, 05:56 PM
If you're talking about the attorney I quoted, he's the real deal...unlike Olney's fantasy legal team.

Artful Angie
07-13-2011, 06:22 PM
I don't want to go on about the attendees. My discussion with one of them via Facebook was very repulsive to me, but who knows, maybe they really believe his bullshit.

In which case, they're victims, not villains.

The flip side of things is when you get people who know he's a liar and a cheat, and still support and defend him. If you've been warned about him, done the research, and still go out of your wayto be on his side, then you're not a victim. You're not completely the villain, either. At most, you're a henchman. Get a burglar mask and a t-shirt that says "HENCHMEN" on it. Go put under your list of hobbies on your Facebook page "henching".

It's just my opinion, but if you back Olney's plays and scams knowing full well what kind of scum he is, then you get whatever destiny smacks you in the face with.

He's busy being such a creative juggs-n-nuts with his imprint (which I think he think means the imprint of his butt), and his twits with his tweeters, and his scams and his rave reviews from complete strangers, that he seems to have overlooked his intentions to prove himself right by going to Ravenswood and making a new pull list. According to the Scott @ Ravenswood I talked to today, he still hasn't dared to show his face and darken their doorway.

I think it's because they have a big mirror there, and it must be hard for Rick to look at himself after his real personality of a scam, cheat, and liar is told to his face. Remember folks, only real vampires can't see their reflection. The financial and creative blood suckers like Rick can still see every inch of their lying mugs.

Gaelforce
07-13-2011, 09:18 PM
A while back, I posted this on my Facebook page:

Then I received this from an attorney:

My thanks for the clarification.

Tony

Tony,

The thing is, in some places like Philadephia, you have to pay money to get them to go get your money. Years ago I had a judgement entered in my favor after I was assaulted. I never received any money from the person (we settled in arbitration) and I was told I could go to the sheriff's office and file some more paperwork and pay more money I couldn't afford and they would *try* to get money in return.

Never did see a penny of it. Hope that's just a local thing, though, but folks should at least look into the process where they are.

semiwriter
07-14-2011, 01:01 AM
If it makes people feel any better, when (not if, I think we can all agree on that) Rick holds his convention with no prior approval from veterans' organizations, and then fails to pay out to these pre-advertised charities. he's looking at charges on things like these: http://oag.ca.gov/news/press_release?id=1746

After which, he'll be faced with injunctions and owing the Federal government figures in the six-digit range. And he thinks he's inconvenienced by freelancers?

Personally, I want to stop him from using that excuse for money making NOW. He wants a convention, g'head. Just don't make ME look bad as a veteran, too, ya lowlife.

Artful Angie
07-14-2011, 02:11 AM
If it makes people feel any better, when (not if, I think we can all agree on that) Rick holds his convention with no prior approval from veterans' organizations, and then fails to pay out to these pre-advertised charities. he's looking at charges on...

1. BREACH OF CHARITABLE TRUST - This cause of action claims that money was solicited for charitable programs that were never even put in place.

2. UNLAWFUL BUSINESS ACTS OR PRACTICES - Making false, deceptive, and misleading statements to donors to induce them to make charitable contributions and misrepresenting how charitable donations would be used.

Among others... http://oag.ca.gov/news/press_release?id=1746

After which, he'll be faced with injunctions and owing the Federal government figures in the six-digit range. And he thinks he's inconvenienced by freelancers?

Personally, I want to stop him from using that excuse for money making NOW. He wants a convention, g'head. Just don't make ME look bad as a veteran, too, ya lowlife.

1) He'll say that Clayton organization is the veterans' group, and if someone pays them for the comic while at the convention, then they were paid. But they won't see a penny of the proceeds from the door.

2) He hasn't said enough about the scam to say anything deceptive or misleading. YET.

Tony Isabella
07-14-2011, 06:06 AM
We're far from Defcom OMG on Olney's latest scheme. This guy announces conventions and projects more often than Michelle Bachman mangles history and science. I doubt he'll even get to the point where he can solicit funds for this "convention" of his. Sure, it would be sweet if Olney could get nailed on a federal rap, but the most likely scenario is this:

Guests who might have booked other appearances will be SOL because they scheduled an appearance at Olney's phantom convention.

Some guests and dealers - assuming any dealer would pay for tables in advance from this guy - may be out some prep time and money. But, really, they should have done a Google search on Olney before agreeing to anything...and, as we've seen, some guests just don't care about his past. Because he wouldn't screw them, right? I have zero sympathy for the guests who willfully ignore the guy's history.

Olney will blame us for his convention not happening and claim we hate veterans.

Olney requires watching. We should continue to warn people about him. But his latest scheme isn't worth losing any sleep over because it's never going to happen.

It's like one of those ED commercials that keeps running over and over and over again.

Jim Ritchey
07-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Clayton Murwin is a really great guy, who's apparently being hoodwinked. His blog is here: http://cmerwin6-theheromaker.blogspot.com/ He's a man on a proverbial mission. I'm gonna try to find my old contact info for him (we were friends on Comicspace before it was turned to unusable crap), and gently warn him. He's an honorable man, a vet himself, trying to do good works for veterans--not some soulless clown trying to get money at any cost, like the subject of this thread.

MacQuarrie
07-14-2011, 09:00 AM
This is probably a good place to remind people that there is a really good organization out there called Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, and they are willing to help you get your money, or to answer legal questions for you.

http://www.vlany.org/index.php

Deegan
07-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Nice try, MacQuarrie, but it sounds a little too much like "villainy" for my taste!

semiwriter
07-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Actually, just the vague advertisement that Rick Olney has out now is enough to raise suspicions and get him in trouble. He needs paperwork to advertise that he's doing something for charity. He needs written permission, he needs tax forms and tax numbers from these organization... does he have those? I say no. So, yea, he is already digging himself a hole.

MacQuarrie
07-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Let's let him dig the hole a little deeper before we shove him in.

Deegan
07-14-2011, 09:54 AM
My question is, who is going to hold him responsible? Will the Veteran's Association go after him, or does someone need to report him?

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Rick is obviously read here, which we all know. He's updated:

Now, some legal reading to note:
To be clear as crystal -- Adirondathon and the Adirondack ComicFest are not involved with any aspect of supporting any/all NPOs to be a part of our Veterans Day honors to gain monetarily for ourselves. It is our honor and pleasure to take a step in this direction towards highlighting our nations finest men and women of all eras. We find it personally reprehensible that anyone(s) would allege such a thing, finding it a cause for legal concern. And, as several fellow veterans are involved in the conduct and operations of Adirondathon and the Adirondack ComicFest it is a direct affront to them. So no matter where or who is saying what should you see such words displayed and indicated on the Internet, we'd respectfully request that you consider screen capturing said words (with a link at the least) and emailing such to us at: adirondathon@gmail.com

Gail Simone
07-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Clayton Murwin is a really great guy, who's apparently being hoodwinked. His blog is here: http://cmerwin6-theheromaker.blogspot.com/ He's a man on a proverbial mission. I'm gonna try to find my old contact info for him (we were friends on Comicspace before it was turned to unusable crap), and gently warn him. He's an honorable man, a vet himself, trying to do good works for veterans--not some soulless clown trying to get money at any cost, like the subject of this thread.

I think everyone was very impressed by Clayton Murwin. He seemed very honest and forthright.

Deegan
07-14-2011, 10:56 AM

To be clear as crystal -- Adirondathon and the Adirondack ComicFest are not involved with any aspect of supporting any/all NPOs to be a part of our Veterans Day honors to gain monetarily for ourselves. It is our honor and pleasure to take a step in this direction towards highlighting our nations finest men and women of all eras. We find it personally reprehensible that anyone(s) would allege such a thing, finding it a cause for legal concern. And, as several fellow veterans are involved in the conduct and operations of Adirondathon and the Adirondack ComicFest it is a direct affront to them. So no matter where or who is saying what should you see such words displayed and indicated on the Internet, we'd respectfully request that you consider screen capturing said words (with a link at the least) and emailing such to us at: adirondathon@gmail.com

I'm going to cop to ignorance here. Is he saying that he has the paperwork in order, or is he saying that just the accusations are out of line? I get that he's saying he's not trying to pose/work with an NPO for profit, but is the convention an NPO event or not? Just because veterans are there doesn't mean it's following veteran charity regulations.

semiwriter
07-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Fine. SCREENCAP THIS: (Revised 7/15--there is one legitimate charity involved... just not multiple ones)

Rick Olney has already begun advertising an event to benefit veterans' organizations without having gone through proper channels--he has not secured multiple charities' formal and written permission, he does not have the charities' tax ID numbers and he is advertising a veterans-related event without naming the EXACT ORGANIZATIONS in his promotional efforts. And if he has, then that needs to be mentioned in the advertising.

Just because he SAYS he's going to donate to charities (and note that the advertisement is pluralized--thus he's indicating more than one charity, but he has yet to provide the names of those multiple charities)... that isn't good enough. Saying "I'm going to give such-and-such groups the proceeds" is NEVER sufficient, because charities and businesses linked to alleged charitable events CANNOT take a man at his word; they need documentation.

I would love to see him hold a successful convention, by the way! Because means that the people that he owes WILL FINALLY GET PAID.

Note that Rick Olney's blowhard statement of allegations being "reprehensible" is STILL completely lacking in any proof that he has secured the rights to advertise in this manner. At this point, his event is NOT registered as a charity (and if it is, that is required to be in the advertising as well!), nor is he providing the names of the exact charities that will benefit from this. And that is fraud, Rick. Wake up and either fix this oversight or you will find there are consequences to be paid. You need the paperwork in place before you can promote this as a veterans benefit, and NOTHING that you do or say will refute this SOLID, LEGAL FACT!

On a personal note, as a veteran, I've been working for a veterans organization for some six and a half years now. EVERYTHING we do is backed up by paperwork, we make copies of that paperwork, we require references for those that we associate ourselves with, and we do a basic background investigation of anyone claiming to want to raise money on our/veterans' behalf. Fortunately or unfortunately, my organization has become more diligent than others because we've had to be--too many people have tried to hold an event for "our" benefit yet failed to provide documentation. Saying it's "for the vets" is NEVER good enough. And that's what raises a red flag for Rick's event and why I'm so determined to alert people to his plans. (Note: not STOP them, ALERT them!)

Matt Doc Martin
07-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Fine. SCREENCAP THIS:

Right now, Rick Olney is legally committing fraud. He has already begun advertising an event "to benefit veterans' organizations" without having gone through proper channels--he has not secured any charities' formal and written permission, he does not have the charities' tax ID numbers and he is advertising a veterans-related event without naming the EXACT ORGANIZATIONS in his promotional efforts. And if he has, then that needs to be mentioned in the advertising.

Just because he SAYS he's going to donate to charities (and note that the advertisement is pluralized--thus he's indicating more than one charity, but he has yet to provide the name of even one charity that is involved)... that isn't good enough. Saying "I'm going to give such-and-such groups the proceeds" is NEVER sufficient, because charities and businesses linked to alleged charitable events CANNOT take a man at his word; they need documentation.

I would love to see him hold a successful convention, by the way! Because means that the people that he owes WILL FINALLY GET PAID.

Note that Rick Olney's blowhard statement of allegations being "reprehensible" is STILL completely lacking in any proof that he has secured the rights to advertise in this manner. At this point, his event's name is NOT registered as a charity (and if it is, that is required to be in the advertising as well!), nor is he providing the names of the exact charities that will benefit from this. And that IS FRAUD, Rick. Wake up and either fix this oversight or you will find there are consequences to be paid. You need the paperwork in place before you can promote this as a veterans benefit, and NOTHING that you do or say will refute this SOLID, LEGAL FACT!

On a personal note, as a veteran, I've been working for a veterans organization for some six and a half years now. EVERYTHING we do is backed up by paperwork, we make copies of that paperwork, we require references for those that we associate ourselves with, and we do a basic background investigation of anyone claiming to want to raise money on our/veterans' behalf. Fortunately or unfortunately, my organization has become more diligent than others because we've had to be--too many people have tried to hold an event for "our" benefit yet failed to provide documentation. Saying it's "for the vets" is NEVER good enough. And that's what raises a red flag for Rick's event and why I'm so determined to alert people to his plans.

I believe STRONGLY that Rick Olney will repeat his earlier charity fraud (see his example with St Judes Children Research Hospital). Like then, he is making claims with no paperwork to back it up.

semiwriter
07-14-2011, 01:33 PM
As I said, note there's not one thing he said in his "reprehensible" statement that provides any legitimacy to him holding this event... instead, all he's done is tell people to "send me the screencaps." That is NOT taking the initiative on your own project and taking responsibility for your actions. That's looking for squealers.

Rick Olney has a chance at getting things right this time, right now, before anything really gets rolling on this project. He's got months yet before this event takes place, for crying out loud! Anyone with any reasonable amount of intelligence will legitimize himself in the eyes of the law to hold such an event...

Er, yea. I know what we're dealing with. But hey, like I said, if he holds a successful event, maybe he'll pay off the dozens of people that he owes money to?

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-14-2011, 02:15 PM
There is a listing for the location of his latest pipedream on the blog

Where: The George T. Hiltebrant Recreation Center on North Street in Old Forge, New York

I did a check on Google maps. Looks like a lovely area. I have a cottage up north that sort of reminds me of that location.

Sure is out in the middle of nowhere though.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q='225%20North%20Street%20Old-Forge%20NY%2013420%20%20%20%20%20'

semiwriter
07-14-2011, 02:42 PM

Well, that's the idea: go where you're not known. Only reputable people can show up to the same event location more than once.

leftwingnutcase
07-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Remember folks, only real vampires can't see their reflection. The financial and creative blood suckers like Rick can still see every inch of their lying mugs.

Never say this to a Twihard like me.

[I am slowly backing away to avoid the ****storm my comment will unleash. >Please be constructive in your criticism.<]

Deegan
07-14-2011, 03:44 PM
If you insist!

http://www.picvault.info/images/537127447_potter.png

leftwingnutcase
07-14-2011, 03:52 PM
If you insist!

http://www.picvault.info/images/537127447_potter.png

I agree completely. My boyfriend is very special and I love him very much.

Artful Angie
07-14-2011, 04:04 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/artfulangie/5938649400/in/photostream

This will be the uniform for Olney's children, um I mean employees at the scam.

Cam63
07-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Cheers to all the above info.

J.R. LeMar
07-14-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm going to cop to ignorance here. Is he saying that he has the paperwork in order, or is he saying that just the accusations are out of line?

He's saying that the accusations are out of line, and implying that he's going to take legal action against those making them, which is why he's asking people to screencap them and send them to him, as if he's going to use them as "evidence". He's been implying, and outright claiming, legal action since this all first came to light via Rich Johnston's Lying In The Gutters column on CBR.

When this matter gets introduced via the court system after the holidays, it won't take long to clear the lies.

That's what Olney said back in Dec. 2006. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=15439) Still waiting for him to initiate legal action against someone. Anyone.

Except he hasn't indicated in any way that he intends to pay anyone with the help of the event. The exact opposite, in fact. He's saying this is to benefit military veterans. This has nothing to do with his debts. Including many debts that he refuses to acknowledge (look @ his recent comments about "unproven allegations" and "half-truths" being told about it), or ones, like the judgment Scott Reed won against him, which he has flat-out said he will NEVER pay another dime towards, after the $100 that he now calls a "pity payment". Not having the money to pay has never been his excuse. He's always claimed he hasn't paid because people broke their NDA's, or didn't have a contract, or because they haven't agreed to sign a Hold Harmless first (which he never send anyone who asks for one) or because they've said mean things about him online. He's often bragged about having money, including back in Jan. when he claimed he spent over $10,000 on Christmas presents for his family. And, clearly, he has access to some funds. Clayton said Olney paid him to design a logo for him. Years ago Jason Dube said Olney paid him for something. So every once and awhile he manages to pay someone for new work, while continuing to ignore the multiple people he owes for old work.

Matt Doc Martin
07-14-2011, 06:04 PM
There is a listing for the location of his latest pipedream on the blog

Where: The George T. Hiltebrant Recreation Center on North Street in Old Forge, New York

I did a check on Google maps. Looks like a lovely area. I have a cottage up north that sort of reminds me of that location.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q='225%20North%20Street%20Old-Forge%20NY%2013420%20%20%20%20%20'

5 hours for me to drive there. Which I will.

MacQuarrie
07-14-2011, 06:17 PM

I've gotten rusty at reading moronese; can somebody translate?

MacQuarrie
07-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Remember, way back about 10 years ago on the Comicon.com boards, the blowhard repeatedly claimed that donations of comic books to ORCA were tax-deductible; when pressed on the matter, he finally danced around the issue enough to grudgingly reveal that he was planning to cherry-pick the good stuff from said donations, then dump the rest at the local Salvation Army; since they are a non-profit, and most of the comics were going there, that meant they were deductible donations despite the fact that his organization was in fact not a 501(c)(3).

I am not making this up.

Deegan
07-14-2011, 07:12 PM
I've gotten rusty at reading moronese; can somebody translate?

The first sentence alone is kind of a nightmare.

semiwriter
07-14-2011, 08:02 PM
He's more than welcome to try and take those words that as evidence... but, oops, what's going to happen when it's revealed that he does NOT have charities' (multiple) permissions? If he wants more attention from law enforcement and the federal government then, oh, brother, he's going to get it!

Rick Olney just has to GET PERMISSION from veterans' organizations RIGHT NOW! That's all! That's it! That's the easy fix for the upcoming festivities. And that's the absurdity of the situation, isn't it--that he can't be bothered to try and do anything legal?

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Knowing Rick and after some 7-8 years now of reading his words on various websites I can predict at least one thing.

Clayton Murwin's Heroes Fallen Studios Inc was recently granted federal tax excemption.

http://heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/7659482-federal-tax-exempt-status-granted-to-heroes-fallen-studios-inc-

So Rick is going to use Clayton's legitimate group as proof he is benefiting a veteran's charity with his ComicFest.

Of course we all know it will never actually take place. Apparently it was supposed to take place in June but had to be moved because, "spins wheel" the website didn't go up fast enough.

http://adirondackcomicfest.blogspot.com/2011/07/perk-for-guests-staff-volunteers.html

Oh and Matt Busch? Na, too easy.

semiwriter
07-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Good. That's great. But it still doesn't erase the misleading advertisement, which says "organizations" rather than just the one that MIGHT be on his side and granted him permission. Plus, Rick still has not advertised with that charity's name. Without the proof that there is a legitimate charitable link, he is still breaking the law. (Revised 7/15--the charity is a good one, legit, and in place to prevent any mistakes from happening!)

Flamebird
07-14-2011, 10:06 PM

This will be the uniform for Olney's children, um I mean employees at the scam.
Is it wrong that I find that henchguy kinda hot? :roll:

MacQuarrie
07-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Good. That's great. But it still doesn't erase the misleading advertisement, which says "organizations" rather than just the one that MIGHT be on his side and granted him permission. Plus, Rick still has not advertised with that charity's name. Without the proof that there is a legitimate charitable link, he is still breaking the law. (Revised 7/15--the charity is a good one, legit, and in place to prevent any mistakes from happening!)
He's in kind of a pickle; he learned the last time around that using a charity's name without permission is Very Bad. It's trademark infringement, and most organizations take a very dim view of it. He CAN'T name any charities without permission, and now he's learning that he can't promote a "charity" event involving unnamed hypothetical charities. It's kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, and he doesn't quite know how to handle it.

Because just, y'know, not scamming people, that's out of the question.

Rick: There are no shortcuts.

Re: Edit: If Rick is involved, "mistakes" are sure to happen. He will find a way to try to screw somebody. He always does.

MacQuarrie
07-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Is it wrong that I find that henchguy kinda hot? :roll:
No more wrong than me finding the henchgirl kinda cute (even though she's probably younger than my kids).

Artful Angie
07-15-2011, 02:09 AM
5 hours for me to drive there. Which I will.

Don't forget to stop in Utica, Matt. We can hang out and I'll introduce you to Scott over at Ravenswood. You can hear the "vicious and spurious lies" I've spouted direct from the source.

Artful Angie
07-15-2011, 02:25 AM
And I see from the letter from Matt Busch that he has hi totally snowed as well:

A PERK FOR GUESTS, STAFF & VOLUNTEERS...

Did you know that it is the 30th anniversary of Indiana Jones this year?

So how is Indiana Jones tied into the Adirondack ComicFest, you wonder?

Stuff happens in life. Some times it is good stuff and some times it is bad stuff. Sometimes bad stuff turns into good stuff and well, you get the picture...

In this instance, I had booked Matt Busch to be a guest at the June 2011 event. But, due to unforeseen circumstances on the part of my two man local website building team our website due to be online this past April didn't go live until we lost our window to get the ACF event properly promoted over the Internet. So concessions were made and some guests were re-booked for the ACF being moved to November. Then in contacting Matt, he had to decline November.

Meanwhile I just heard from Matt -- and this is what he said:

"Hi Rick!

The Indiana Jones World Maps are all signed and numbered. I have them boxed flat, in pristine condition, ready to ship!

Sorry to hear that the Adirondack Comicfest is getting drama from unprofessional professionals. Once the Indiana Jones fans sites get a load of this, they should be sending some good words out there for sure.

Speaking of which, I have some new tidbits and images for you on this that really detail how cool this map is, and how great that Lucasfilm authorized this for us! Here is the final image of the fully illustrated Indiana Jones World Map! Perfect timing, being the 30th Anniversary of Indiana Jones this year. The print measures a whopping 24" X 36" (fit for a world map!) and easy to frame in any standard movie poster size frame. There are 36 different archeological artifacts displayed. Each artifact is illustrated near the location Indy discovered it, and numbered chronologically.The research is extremely thorough with careful attention to detail. I had actually been working on researching this for two and a half years.

In each of the four corners, I illustrated an exotic stone relief carving, each representing a cultural motif from one of the four Indiana Jones feature films. There are 3 Legend sections that list info on the artifacts, including name, city and country, year, title of the story the artifact was discovered in, followed by some symbols. The Key chart that lets you decipher those symbols for each artifact to see how the story was presented, be it film, novel, TV Episode, etc... In many cases, these stories have been delivered in multiple platforms. In other words, "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" was at first designed as a video game, but later developed as a comic book, too.

Anyway, this is gonna be huge. I'm excited to see people's reaction!

So I'll have a number of these high quality posters, suitable for framing, each signed and numbered to be able to give each guest, staff member, volunteers one. I have also decided after checking with a couple people that we shall be donating several to each of the Non-profit organizations on site through the weekend for any auction type purposes they may wish to hold, or they can simply do with them as they like.

Lastly, we'll be framing a number of these posters as a unique give-away item to handed out via a free raffle to be held on both Saturday and Sunday during the Adirondack ComicFest. All you have to do is be present to win once your ticket number is announced."

It's really sad to see people drink the Kool-Aid, you know? Because once Rick screws him over on his hotel fees or his plane ticket, or just refuses to return any of the unused posters and then gets the standard Olney treatment, he'll look a little bit like a schmuck for not listening to the words on the Internet from those "unprofessional professionals" who were in his mukaluks 8 years ago.

Does anyone know Matt and the newly announced guests and can send them an email with the various links to his past antics, scams, and lies??

Tony Isabella
07-15-2011, 03:30 AM
I'm into a heavy work mode at the moment, but I just wanted to post a quick update:

I have still not been sued by Rick Olney and his legal team. I wish I had taken note of the first time he threatened to sue me, but I'm just not the sentimental type. Otherwise, I would send him an anniversary card every year. But I think we're only a couple years away from our tenth anniversary. And people thought it wouldn't last.

I also don't remember the first time he threatened to beat me up or have me beaten up by imaginary friends of his. But, really, what relationship doesn't go through its rough spots?

Rick Olney: Incompetent. Impotent. Cowardly. Delusional. Utterly without creative talent of any kind. And those are his better qualities.

Tony Isabella
07-15-2011, 03:36 AM
Angie...I sent a message to all of his comics guests warning them and suggesting they Google him to learn what he is.

But, yeah, someone should warn this Matt fellow and soon. But I do note that Matt's note says the items are "ready to ship" and haven't actually shipped. I hope it's because he's smart enough to wait for payment from Olney before he sends them.

Gail Simone
07-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Remember, way back about 10 years ago on the Comicon.com boards, the blowhard repeatedly claimed that donations of comic books to ORCA were tax-deductible; when pressed on the matter, he finally danced around the issue enough to grudgingly reveal that he was planning to cherry-pick the good stuff from said donations, then dump the rest at the local Salvation Army; since they are a non-profit, and most of the comics were going there, that meant they were deductible donations despite the fact that his organization was in fact not a 501(c)(3).

I am not making this up.

Wasn't it Dennis who finally came through with that information? As I recall, Rick stuck to the lie for a long time.

Gail Simone
07-15-2011, 07:08 AM
And I see from the letter from Matt Busch that he has hi totally snowed as well:

A PERK FOR GUESTS, STAFF & VOLUNTEERS...

Did you know that it is the 30th anniversary of Indiana Jones this year?

So how is Indiana Jones tied into the Adirondack ComicFest, you wonder?

Stuff happens in life. Some times it is good stuff and some times it is bad stuff. Sometimes bad stuff turns into good stuff and well, you get the picture...

In this instance, I had booked Matt Busch to be a guest at the June 2011 event. But, due to unforeseen circumstances on the part of my two man local website building team our website due to be online this past April didn't go live until we lost our window to get the ACF event properly promoted over the Internet. So concessions were made and some guests were re-booked for the ACF being moved to November. Then in contacting Matt, he had to decline November.

Meanwhile I just heard from Matt -- and this is what he said:

"Hi Rick!

The Indiana Jones World Maps are all signed and numbered. I have them boxed flat, in pristine condition, ready to ship!

Sorry to hear that the Adirondack Comicfest is getting drama from unprofessional professionals. Once the Indiana Jones fans sites get a load of this, they should be sending some good words out there for sure.

Speaking of which, I have some new tidbits and images for you on this that really detail how cool this map is, and how great that Lucasfilm authorized this for us! Here is the final image of the fully illustrated Indiana Jones World Map! Perfect timing, being the 30th Anniversary of Indiana Jones this year. The print measures a whopping 24" X 36" (fit for a world map!) and easy to frame in any standard movie poster size frame. There are 36 different archeological artifacts displayed. Each artifact is illustrated near the location Indy discovered it, and numbered chronologically.The research is extremely thorough with careful attention to detail. I had actually been working on researching this for two and a half years.

In each of the four corners, I illustrated an exotic stone relief carving, each representing a cultural motif from one of the four Indiana Jones feature films. There are 3 Legend sections that list info on the artifacts, including name, city and country, year, title of the story the artifact was discovered in, followed by some symbols. The Key chart that lets you decipher those symbols for each artifact to see how the story was presented, be it film, novel, TV Episode, etc... In many cases, these stories have been delivered in multiple platforms. In other words, "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" was at first designed as a video game, but later developed as a comic book, too.

Anyway, this is gonna be huge. I'm excited to see people's reaction!

So I'll have a number of these high quality posters, suitable for framing, each signed and numbered to be able to give each guest, staff member, volunteers one. I have also decided after checking with a couple people that we shall be donating several to each of the Non-profit organizations on site through the weekend for any auction type purposes they may wish to hold, or they can simply do with them as they like.

Lastly, we'll be framing a number of these posters as a unique give-away item to handed out via a free raffle to be held on both Saturday and Sunday during the Adirondack ComicFest. All you have to do is be present to win once your ticket number is announced."

It's really sad to see people drink the Kool-Aid, you know? Because once Rick screws him over on his hotel fees or his plane ticket, or just refuses to return any of the unused posters and then gets the standard Olney treatment, he'll look a little bit like a schmuck for not listening to the words on the Internet from those "unprofessional professionals" who were in his mukaluks 8 years ago.

Does anyone know Matt and the newly announced guests and can send them an email with the various links to his past antics, scams, and lies??

If you don't know the truth about Rick, it's understandable to be skeptical. But you'd have to be a complete idiot not to do a google search. It's BECAUSE
of Rick that I get references every time now, and I have never, ever had an unpleasant convention or appearance experience since.

Gail Simone
07-15-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm into a heavy work mode at the moment, but I just wanted to post a quick update:

I have still not been sued by Rick Olney and his legal team. I wish I had taken note of the first time he threatened to sue me, but I'm just not the sentimental type. Otherwise, I would send him an anniversary card every year. But I think we're only a couple years away from our tenth anniversary. And people thought it wouldn't last.

I also don't remember the first time he threatened to beat me up or have me beaten up by imaginary friends of his. But, really, what relationship doesn't go through its rough spots?

Rick Olney: Incompetent. Impotent. Cowardly. Delusional. Utterly without creative talent of any kind. And those are his better qualities.

Does it make you feel sad that he's cheating on you with all the other billions of people he's going to sue who hurt his widdle feewings?

Matt Doc Martin
07-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Don't forget to stop in Utica, Matt. We can hang out and I'll introduce you to Scott over at Ravenswood. You can hear the "vicious and spurious lies" I've spouted direct from the source.

Absolutely will, as I am sure the con will not happen.

Tony Isabella
07-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Does it make you feel sad that he's cheating on you with all the other billions of people he's going to sue who hurt his widdle feewings?

"Widdle feewings" is actually his pet name for his...no, Tony, don't go there!

CutterMike
07-15-2011, 10:35 AM
"Widdle feewings" is actually his pet name for his...no, Tony, don't go there!

"...for his 'Devil-Bug'", I'm sure you were going to say...! ;-)

Artful Angie
07-15-2011, 02:57 PM
So, some quickie facts I learned today...

The webcam for the Rec Center in Old Forge is available at http://www.oldforge.net/rec/ to view to outside.

Costs to rent out the rec center per day can vary depending on if you're a Non Profit Organization, like if you tell them you are doing something for vets. The minimum is about 250.00 per day.

Using the kitchen, like if you're advertising that food will be available on site, will cost you extra per day in the rental and deposit.

A DEPOSIT MUST BE PAID IN ADVANCE AND THEY WON'T HOLD THE REC CENTER FOR YOU WITHOUT ONE!! So if you're saying you have a date to use the center you better make sure you've paid the deposit for that weekend before you go around telling victims you're going to be there.

You MUST also have insurance for your organization to be able to rent the rec center.

And here's the main thing I also learned today:

As of today, from everyone I spoke to in the Old Forge Town Clerk's Office, the rec cent has NOT been booked or reserved for Veteran's Day Weekend Yet!

Granted, there's is still one woman I haven't spoken to yet. They pass the schedule-keeping duty around from one person to another to cover the responsibility. But one woman already knew what I was talking about, based I believe on Sarah or Gael's previous phone calls, and she said she didn't remember seeing it booked yet as of earlier this week.

Here is their website to be able to see all of the upcoming events: http://www.oldforgeny.com/

That's the facts, Jacks!

Matt Doc Martin
07-15-2011, 03:06 PM
So, some quickie facts I learned today...

The webcam for the Rec Center in Old Forge is available at http://www.oldforge.net/rec/ to view to outside.

Costs to rent out the rec center per day can vary depending on if you're a Non Profit Organization, like if you tell them you are doing something for vets. The minimum is about 250.00 per day.

Using the kitchen, like if you're advertising that food will be available on site, will cost you extra per day in the rental and deposit.

A DEPOSIT MUST BE PAID IN ADVANCE AND THEY WON'T HOLD THE REC CENTER FOR YOU WITHOUT ONE!! So if you're saying you have a date to use the center you better make sure you've paid the deposit for that weekend before you go around telling victims you're going to be there.

You MUST also have insurance for your organization to be able to rent the rec center.

And here's the main thing I also learned today:

As of today, from everyone I spoke to in the Old Forge Town Clerk's Office, the rec cent has NOT been booked or reserved for Veteran's Day Weekend Yet!

Granted, there's is still one woman I haven't spoken to yet. They pass the schedule-keeping duty around from one person to another to cover the responsibility. But one woman already knew what I was talking about, based I believe on Sarah or Gael's previous phone calls, and she said she didn't remember seeing it booked yet as of earlier this week.

Here is their website to be able to see all of the upcoming events: http://www.oldforgeny.com/

That's the facts, Jacks!

Well, well, well..... Not looking too good, is it?

Gaelforce
07-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Almost worth it to take up a collection and rent the hall for a day...

Artful Angie
07-15-2011, 04:04 PM
I was thinking that very thing.

JTPencils
07-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Careful... with those sorts of facts getting out... his "leagle team" will soon be suing the town for revealing "inside info" (which it isn't).

BEWARE the repercussions of his mighty shysters!

semiwriter
07-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Okay... here's an important update about November. I can't go in to details, as I've discussed this matter confidentially, but let me just say the following:

We need to start promoting Heroes Fallen Studios, Inc. in a positive light. They don't deserve any flak that's associated with Rick Olney, and if we can put out the word about someone's negative reputation, then we can promote a positive one as well--and this is a definite positive with all its ducks in a row. This is, indeed, a certified charity that does not deserve any badmouthing and also deserves whatever retribution we can give it--if, for no other reason, than as an apology to linking it to someone with a bad rep. Heroes Fallen Studios is run by a passionate, concerned and conscientious crew, all of whom have a great deal of morality, and they are presenting a legitimate and supportive product in regards to our nation's military. Whatever form of support that we can give them... we need to do that.

To that end, I urge you to use Facebook and Twitter and whatever other networks are your choice and post the following: Heroes Fallen Studios, a noble cause for America's military! Check out their website at http://www.freewebs.com/herosfallen/ and show your support!

As far as the convention weekend... my opinion is that our efforts against Rick Olney and/or against this convention need to be put on the shelf because there is a system in place that will ensure that everything is done by the book, legally, or there will be sharp and immediate consequences. As a vet, I am VERY relieved to hear what I heard, and to learn that this event will not be besmirching the reputation of veterans as it initially seemed. While I think we can all agree that it's important to continue keeping an eye on Rick, this upcoming event has other, good people involved with it that will not let the veterans down... which was my only concern. I say let's see what happens. This looks to be an ideal situation for Heroes Fallen Soldiers to establish itself.

J.R. LeMar
07-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Agreed regarding Heroes Fallen. That's why I bought the book and promoted it on my main blog, and intend to do the same when Vol. 2 comes out. However, regarding the convention, the problem is, if it is successful, then Olney will use that to convince more people that he's legit, and to get more people to work with/for him. And even if he doesn't scam anyone else, he's still getting away with having ripped off dozens of people that he refuses to acknowledge and pay. So if Olney is involved in supporting/promoting this convention, then going to it is supporting him.

semiwriter
07-15-2011, 06:27 PM
And we'll be right there to keep an eye on him, or--as is the case in Old Forge--to make sure that others have their thumb on him.

He's never going to outlive his earlier reputation and crimes against freelances, and I think it's pretty clear from his overall behavior over the years that he won't be redeeming himself 100%, either; his cyclical pattern of abuse is most likely unshakable.

(However, you realize that your statement is working under the assumption that he won't fuck things up, right?)

Greg S
07-15-2011, 07:05 PM
[I]He's stepping out of the little comic book and convention world that he has sullied and he's going after the small-town values and support that people provide for legitimate organizations.

Semi -

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but you are coming across as very insulting to all of us in the "little comic book" world. It reads like "yeah it was too bad when he was ripping off comic artists, but now he might hurt REAL PEOPLE!"

I take your point that the legal repercussions of his actions may be taking a big leap in severity, but you could espress it a little less condescendingly. Plenty of comic book writers and artists have "small town values" too.

Respectfully,

-Greg

semiwriter
07-15-2011, 07:09 PM
By no means did I mean that. My indication was in the level of his legal crimes--lawsuits don't equal jail time, basically. It was meant more along the lines of "he has widened his scope."

Tony Isabella
07-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Since no one has identified these "other people" or these "safeguards" to my satisfaction, or, for that matter, at all, I'll continue to warn people about Olney and this event.

Given Olney's history, it would be irresponsible for me to do otherwise.

J.R. LeMar
07-15-2011, 07:25 PM
I agree with Tony. I'm sorry but, some random person who just joined here recently, posting under a screenname saying "I can't tell you anything but, trust me, this Convention is on the up an up, so you should all stop warning people not to support it" doesn't mean anything to me, either. If you're convinced it's such a good cause and have some kind of inside info then you should trying to convince these people you're talking to to sever all ties with Rick Olney because, so far, he's the only person publicly promoting this event, which means he's seriously involved.

Greg S
07-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Semi -

I understood your intention. I was merely asking you to consider choosing the words you use to express them more carefully.

Thank you.

-Greg

semiwriter
07-15-2011, 07:36 PM
I agree with Tony. I'm sorry but, some random person who just joined here recently, posting under a screenname saying "I can't tell you anything but, trust me, this Convention is on the up an up, so you should all stop warning people not to support it" doesn't mean anything to me, either.

And that is your right, of course, but due to the confidentiality that I promised, I cannot breach that act of trust. Nor can the person involved sever all ties with Rick for reasons of honor. Nor can, or should, anyone on this forum back off on Olney just because of one statement. However, I felt obligated to at least make that statement and try to encourage a pause in the bloodlust which I, too, have been caught up in.

Though I don't take what you said personally, just a gentle little quote, here... "When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like nails."

J.R. LeMar
07-15-2011, 07:43 PM
If everything is really on the up and up, then whomever it is you're talking to, shouldn't have any problem coming forward with their information about exactly what Olney's involvement is, and why. When and if that happens, I'm sure everyone here will take it into consideration.

semiwriter
07-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Quite right. And that is their choice to make.

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Nor can the person involved sever all ties with Rick for reasons of honor.
To me it is obvious you are talking about *REMOVED*. I've decided to remove my assumption and my reasons why. However this part can remain. When you keep secrets, guesses and assumptions are all I can make. I ask this mystery person to post or at least PM Gail.

Honouring ones word is to be respected. I have at least a dozen people in my family who have served in wars all over the world and have a lot of respect for those who serve.

Still though, I can't support a convention run by Rick Olney no matter how honest and trustworthy the people helping are. As mentioned, Rick will use any success they bring to scam others with the next convention/scam he thinks of. Are these unnamed people going to make sure Rick stays on the up and for the next con and the next? If they stay on his boot heels and no charities are defrauded, super. What about after that?

Artful Angie
07-15-2011, 09:28 PM
By no means did I mean that. My indication was in the level of his legal crimes--lawsuits don't equal jail time, basically. It was meant more along the lines of "he has widened his scope."

Semi, try to understand. YOU may see it as "Rick is widening his scope to be a better person". But to the people who have watched Rick lather, rinse, and repeat the same behavior over and over again for YEARS, it's more like "the usual well of victims is finally drying up, so let's take this act on the road and scam some other suckers".

FACT: Olney refuses to pay past victims of his misdeeds.

FACT: Olney tried his hardest to keep this scam under waps until it was too late to put the warning out.

FACT: Olney has judgements against him by people in this "teeny weeny little comic book world" and refuses to even acknowledge them by name.

FACT: Olney's actions are WELL DOCUMENTED, up to and including his ranting tirades last month when the beans were spilled about the con.

FACT: Olney has used charitable organizations to his own benefit before, with that organization getting NOTHING in return.

FACT: EVERYBODY here is ready willing and able to help Clayton and the project. But not at the cost of letting Rick get the chance to scam other victims by pretending to be charitable and noble.

FACTS ARE FACTS! And these are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

In my opinion, (and I'm only voicing mine here) when it comes to "siding" with Olney (even in appearances only) by saying "give the guy a chance" then you're either a victim who doesn't realize it yet, or a henchman supporting his actions to the benfit of you and/or him. Because you can only give someone so many chance to rob you before you say "Hey! That's my money!" and let him do his little sleazy chuckle at your expense.

semiwriter
07-15-2011, 09:34 PM
No, I don't see him "widening his scope" to be a better person. It's "widening his scope" of potential criminal activity that I see going on.

You're misreading. I'm not siding with Olney AT ALL. There is nothing in his reputation that gives me one second of trust towards the man, nor would I ever recant and say "give him a chance" because he has never proven that he deserves one. My sympathies lie with the charity.

Artful Angie
07-15-2011, 09:38 PM
And that is your right, of course, but due to the confidentiality that I promised, I cannot breach that act of trust. Nor can the person involved sever all ties with Rick for reasons of honor. Nor can, or should, anyone on this forum back off on Olney just because of one statement. However, I felt obligated to at least make that statement and try to encourage a pause in the bloodlust which I, too, have been caught up in.

Though I don't take what you said personally, just a gentle little quote, here... "When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like nails."

1) There's no sacrifice to honor when you're backing out of a deal with a devil when you didn't know he was one. Sorry. You don't make a deal with a guy you barely know, then say "Aw Shucks! I should have done the research and Googled his name! Oh, well, I guess I'll just go anyway because if I don't appear at a con no one is going to go to, they'll think I'm a bad person."

2) There's no "bloodlust" here. Believe me, there COULD BE, and it would really get nasty as in the days of yore, as I'm lead to believe. But what there is going on here is people standing there ground, refusing to back down from a bloated cheating lying bully and making sure he can't victimize other people anymore.

The line is drawn here! And if Rick can't stand the heat, then let him take his bat and ball and go back home. He set the rules, and Gail, Tony, Mac and others have been UNBELIEVEABLY restrained in how they handle things in this thread!

Flamebird
07-15-2011, 10:18 PM

If you promised confidentiality, why are you here? If the person involved with Olney is honorable; why are they involved after learning the facts?
If these people are so honorable; can't they speak for themselves?
They must not have much faith in themselves or the message, if they let Olney speak for them.
And yeah, I agree that you've been coming across a bit like, "I don't care that he fucked over other people, but now he's messing with the military."
I don't think you mean it that way, but it is kind of how it reads. One of the big drawbacks to message boards, more than anything I think.

Flamebird
07-15-2011, 10:31 PM

Good to know. :mistrust: ;-)

( This is supposed to be a joke; but it's late and my humor doesn't always work so well in the wee hours. Apologies if it's not funny.)

MacQuarrie
07-15-2011, 10:33 PM
I think the message to take away here is that we are looking at the possibility of finally nailing Rick with some serious consequences.

The last few years, there have been a number of organizations formed and laws passed specifically to deal with the problems of fraud and misrepresentation of military claims; there has been a real problem of people (up to and including congressional candidates) claiming unearned military veteran status for personal gain. It's become prevalent enough that there are now a lot of laws against it, and against claiming to represent veterans' organizations, or claiming to be raising money for such groups, without proper documentation. Rick is walking through a legal minefield right now, and if he's not 100% scrupulously honest, he will be in serious trouble of a federal nature, and there are a lot more eyes watching that arena than the comic book industry. Based on his past history, if he's not 100% honest, he will screw up. He's not as smart as he thinks he is.

Meanwhile, if we can help to insulate Heroes Fallen Studios from Rick's cancerous touch, we should try. There's no reason they should be tarred by association with Rick when their only error was in taking him at his word. We don't have to defend Rick or support his imaginary convention to do that; just get the word out about who they are and what they are doing for vets, and stress that they are not associated with him, they just agreed to appear at his sure-to-be-canceled show.

MacQuarrie
07-15-2011, 10:38 PM
As far as the convention weekend... my opinion is that our efforts against Rick Olney and/or against this convention need to be put on the shelf because there is a system in place that will ensure that everything is done by the book, legally, or there will be sharp and immediate consequences. As a vet, I am VERY relieved to hear what I heard, and to learn that this event will not be besmirching the reputation of veterans as it initially seemed. While I think we can all agree that it's important to continue keeping an eye on Rick, this upcoming event has other, good people involved with it that will not let the veterans down... which was my only concern. I say let's see what happens. This looks to be an ideal situation for Heroes Fallen Soldiers to establish itself.
This convention is never going to happen, so it's a moot point. We've been through this before. Some time between now and October, Rick will pull the plug on it and explain that his grandma or uncle or cousin died, or he had a kidney removed, or his daughter was abducted by space aliens, or the hotel double-booked the space, or SOMETHING will have happened that will require him to call off the event, but it won't be his fault. It certainly won't be because he didn't pay the deposit for the space, or couldn't get insurance, or any of the thousand other tasks he will have failed to do.

Whether we leave him alone or not, that's what will happen. That's what happened in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009...

MacQuarrie
07-15-2011, 10:40 PM
I'll put $10 on unexpected weather. A snowstorm will shut down the con. Who could possibly have guessed that there would be snow in Upstate New York in November?

JTPencils
07-15-2011, 11:15 PM
I'll put $10 on unexpected weather. A snowstorm will shut down the con. Who could possibly have guessed that there would be snow in Upstate New York in November?

I don't know Mac... I'd almost be willing to bet it'll be something like "an unscrupulous accountant obviously didn't settle my accounts properly... the money was there... and now it's not!..." or the old chestnut he pulled so often "the darn postman must have lost the check". Weather is just too pedestrian an excuse for him... it's always got to look like he's the innocent "Good Guy" that was really trying... it's someone else at fault... it's ALWAYS someone else at fault.

Then again.. he may just holler "If it weren't for those meddling kids... I'd a got away with it too!!!...."

J.R. LeMar
07-16-2011, 07:26 AM
To me it is obvious you are talking about *REMOVED*. I've decided to remove my assumption and my reasons why

No need to, since Heroes Fallen Studios' involvement is not a secret. Which is why I assumed "semiwriter" was talking about someone else. But Clayton has already been here and acknowledged his involvement, saying his studio was contracted to created a logo for the Con, and that he has been paid for it (which in itself is a slap in the face to all the other folks Olney's cheated). And that he has signed a contract to appear, which is why he isn't backing out. Go back several pages and you'll see some people urging him to back out anyway, but I was one of the folks saying that no, Clayton should not attempt to break his part of the contract, he should do whatever he is minimally required to do for this Con. And he has said that he had his lawyers (which I assume are REAL, unlike Olney's imaginary lawyers) check everything out first, so if that's what "semiwriter" meant by "safeguards" being in place to keep Olney from scamming Heroes Fallen Studios, well, I already knew that. I assume Clayton's smart enough to have everything spelled out in writing, and to not pay for his own trip first and wait to be reimbursed later, as other folks did before. So, that's great, they won't be screwed IF this Con does happen.

But then to go on and say that means we should not warn people about Rick, and try to convince them not to attend or support this Con, because that would hurt a "good cause" is ridiculous. We see that he is still totally unrepentant about his past misdeeds, he still has legal judgments against him which he has publicly declared that he will never pay off, and if he somehow manages to pulls this off, even if no one shows up, we know what will happen. He'll start bragging everywhere he can about how successful he is, and the "haters" failed to stop him, and he'll get more people to scam in the future. We see how he still tries to use his 2003 Con, which everyone who attended says was horrible, as "proof" of his success. He posts pictures of Gail and Tony smiling and says "See? Look! They had a great time @ my convention!"

So, like Macquarrie said to Clayton earlier, we'll give them a pass, if he just does what Mike Zarnock did, just stays out of the fray, and shows up required by his contract if the Con happens, so be it. As long as he's not out there trying to defend Olney, then no criticism will come his way.

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-16-2011, 08:08 AM
No need to, since Heroes Fallen Studios' involvement is not a secret. Which is why I assumed "semiwriter" was talking about someone else.
As I said in my post, I think the unnamed people are obvious but still feel that to write that name only based on assumption is not something I personally would do. Have no problems with others doing so.

But Clayton has already been here and acknowledged his involvement, saying his studio was contracted to created a logo for the Con, and that he has been paid for it (which in itself is a slap in the face to all the other folks Olney's cheated).
Clayton can correct me if I am wrong but he hasn't done a logo for this convention. If he has, it hasn't been used. When Clayton originally said he did a logo for Rick, I did some checking. He did a logo for ORCA in 2009.

http://www.freewebs.com/theheromaker/logos.htm

Specifically: http://www.freewebs.com/theheromaker/photos/The%20Hero%20Makers%20Art%20Gallery/Orca%20logohighres.jpg

So, like Macquarrie said to Clayton earlier, we'll give them a pass, if he just does what Mike Zarnock did, just stays out of the fray, and shows up required by his contract if the Con happens, so be it. As long as he's not out there trying to defend Olney, then no criticism will come his way.
If, as you assume Clayton is the unnamed person who will make sure nothing bad happens at this convention, his involvement is far past that of Mike Zarock isn't it? I spoke to Mike a few times when he was announced as a guest at the Mighty Mini Con, he totally wiped his hands at it and stayed out of it, knowing the convention would never happen. Whoever the unnamed people are, they are basically Rick's silent partners in this convention now. They are by all assumptions helping run it and will benefit from it.

My feelings are pretty simple. If Clayton is just a guest, someone suckered in like Mike Zarnock then absolutely 0% criticism towards him or his organization. They do fine work and this morning I told a bunch of friends who served in the military about his book. If as you think Clayton is this unnamed person making sure there is no fraud at this convention but giving no answer as to what happens the next time Rick tries a scam, then I still feel the Heroes Fallen organziation should not be criticised nor Clayton as a person. His involvement though would be something I would criticize.

J.R. LeMar
07-16-2011, 08:18 AM
If, as you assume-

No, you assumed he was talking about Heroes Fallen Studios, I assumed he was talking about someone else, because he said he can't mention any names or details. That was my point. Heroes Fallen Studios is already announced, Clayton's already posted here and confirmed it, so there's no secret there, and nothing wrong with discussing their involvement, whatever it is. And regarding the logo, whatever it was, the fact is Olney hired someone for new work, and paid them, despite owing dozens of people, many of whom were in desperate financial straights when he scammed them, for old work. That in itself makes Olney even worse.

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-16-2011, 08:27 AM
No, you assumed he was talking about Heroes Fallen Studios, I assumed he was talking about someone else, because he said he can't mention any names or details. That was my point. Heroes Fallen Studios is already announced, Clayton's already posted here and confirmed it, so there's no secret there
I understand you now. Though it doesn't negate my reason for removing my assumption. It does show me that things would be a lot simpler if these unnnamed people spoke directly here so no assumptions would be needed on anyone's part.

And regarding the logo, whatever it was, the fact is Olney hired someone for new work, and paid them, despite owing dozens of people, many of whom were in desperate financial straights when he scammed them, for old work. That in itself makes Olney even worse
I believe it was Rick Parker who was contacted about the logo before he got wind of Rick's history and smartly split.

J.R. LeMar
07-16-2011, 08:36 AM
It does show me that things would be a lot simpler if these unnnamed people spoke directly here so no assumptions would be needed on anyone's part.

Which is why I couldn't take "semiwriter's" statements seriously. If everything is so above board, what is there to hide? I mean, I'm no comics professional, so maybe I just don't know how this stuff works. Maybe other folks here can enlighten me. Because I'm thinking that if I were involved in creating, supporting, promoting, attending/etc. a major convention for a good cause, then I'd want everyone to know about it, and would be proud to publicly explain it and defend it, if necessary. Not tell people things privately and then swear them to secrecy about it. I think if you have to hide something, then it can't be good.

But maybe that's just me.

TSChamp
07-16-2011, 11:41 AM
It only took 3 days to read this thread, plus the unscrewed links. All I can say is...DAMN!

Gail Simone
07-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Again, I have nothing but respect for Clayton and what he is doing. He clearly seems to be a guy of integrity. I wish him nothing but the best.

All I hope he knows is to keep his business separate from Rick's, and to be very, very careful about allowing Rick to contact Clayton's friends for any reason.

Gail Simone
07-16-2011, 12:49 PM
It only took 3 days to read this thread, plus the unscrewed links. All I can say is...DAMN!

Hahahaha, you should consider reading the CBR thread. Your head will splode!

TSChamp
07-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Hahahaha, you should consider reading the CBR thread. Your head will splode!

I tried. I really tried. Talk about making my head hurt. Granted, this Rick character's constant threats and self-destructive post are enough for many people to say, "What the fuck!"

JTPencils
07-16-2011, 07:50 PM

Wait for the DVD to come out... it's gonna be a ten disc set... I swear!!!

Tony Isabella
07-17-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm not going to be around for a few days while I finish a script, so I wanted to post my position.

Nothing has changed. No one has offered verifiable information as to any one other than Olney putting on this alleged show. So the show, under these present circumstances, is irredeemably toxic. No one should support it.

To me, anyone who lends their name to the show is giving Olney the chance to use their credibility to carry on his history of wicked ways. I'm not as forgiving as Gail when it comes to this.

I'm bone-tired of people making vague pronouncements that safeguards are in place, etc, etc. blah, blah, blah.

When it comes to anything Olney is involved in, I think it's stupid and morally wrong to take anything on faith.

That's where I stand. Please no emails or Facebook messages...unless you have ACTUAL VERIFIABLE FACTS to share with me. Otherwise, you just blowing smoke up my ass.

I now return you to the less cranky people who post on this board.

NatGertler
07-17-2011, 02:12 PM
"In 2001, a new event called the Mighty Minicon was began and five somewhat successful gatherings of those were held. The last one being held in 2003[...]" (from his latest blog post.)

Oh, "Rick", have you forgotten the more recent one, the one that you turned private and held in the woods? I mean, you told us all it was happening... that couldn't have been a lie, now could it?

And once again, you may want to look up the concept of "self publishing". When you're bringing on writers and artists, that's not self-publishing; that's publishing.

"I don't need to fabricate message board posts, make bold onerous remarks without substantiation, or offer up hatred towards anyone to advance my goals."

That's certainly true, and doing that certainly has not advanced your goals. But you clearly do not know how to actually move forward...

TSChamp
07-17-2011, 04:51 PM
If you get James Earl Jones to narrate it, I am buying it.

MacQuarrie
07-17-2011, 05:17 PM
"In 2001, a new event called the Mighty Minicon was began and five somewhat successful gatherings of those were held. The last one being held in 2003[...]" (from his latest blog post.)

Oh, "Rick", have you forgotten the more recent one, the one that you turned private and held in the woods? I mean, you told us all it was happening... that couldn't have been a lie, now could it?

And once again, you may want to look up the concept of "self publishing". When you're bringing on writers and artists, that's not self-publishing; that's publishing.

"I don't need to fabricate message board posts, make bold onerous remarks without substantiation, or offer up hatred towards anyone to advance my goals."

That's certainly true, and doing that certainly has not advanced your goals. But you clearly do not know how to actually move forward...
Now, Nat, what could you possibly know about publishing?

Tony Isabella
07-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Apparently, I didn't make myself clear enough.

I am not interested in discussing my position with anyone over the phone, via email, via Facebook, or via mind-melding.

I am only interested in ACTUAL VERIFIABLE FACTS with documentation there of.

Any information you send me will NOT BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL.

It will be SHARED WITH THE PUBLIC.

Secrecy of any kind can only allow Olney to do the kind of things he has done so many times before. It is foolish and, yes, immoral, to think and act otherwise.

My position remains that Olney and anything Olney is spearheading or involved in is irredeemably toxic. We have verifiable proof of his past history in like matters.

You're gonna have to work incredibly hard to convince me otherwise and you're not going to be able to convince me from behind closed doors.

My position. My rules.

Until you're ready to follow the above, leave me the fuck alone.

The Hero Maker
07-17-2011, 08:14 PM
I respectfully ask that My name "Clayton D. Murwin" Nor Heroes Fallen Studios Inc. be mentioned directly or indirectly regarding any matter related to this thread. In any future post what so ever . Thank You!

JTPencils
07-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Damn... and I had just perfected mind melding. Now that's a waste of friggin' time.

From now on.. it's gonna be smoke signals.. it worked for Grandpa.. it'll work for me.

BTW... TS... Jones was already booked. But we did get Paul Rubens confirmed... and he say's he's excited about the whole project.

MacQuarrie
07-17-2011, 08:21 PM
I respectfully ask that My name "Clayton D. Murwin" Nor Heroes Fallen Studios Inc. be mentioned directly or indirectly regarding any matter related to this thread. In any future post what so ever . Thank You!
With all due respect, as long as your name appears in publicity for Olney's event, you and your company are public figures and legitimate topics for conversation. That's how the First Amendment works. Nobody gets to tell others what they can and can't talk about. That's one of the basic human rights that our veterans fought to defend. Sorry if it inconveniences you at this time.

Tony Isabella
07-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Well said, Mac.

J.R. LeMar
07-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Just an FYI, since I had some free time, I added a detailed account of the case between Rick Olney and Scott Reed to one of my blogs, to make it easier for any individuals or organizations to have the information to decide for themselves if this is the kind of man that they want to do business with. No personal commentary from me, I'm not involved with either party, I'm just presenting the known facts. Namely, that Rick Olney publicly accused Scott Reed of fraud in Dec. 2006, in Feb. 2007 Scott Reed took Olney to Small Claims Court, which Olney admitted he purposely did not attend, therefor losing by default. He initially claimed he would have the ruling overturned and take Reed to Civil Court, but never did. In Aug. 2009 he claimed to have worked out a deal with a collection agency in which he would make regular payments to clear his debt to Scott Reed, then made one payment of $100 in Oct. 2009, and said that was just the start. He then never made any further payments, and has declared several times that he will never make any more payments and continues to personally insult Scott Reed.

RICK OLNEY VS. SCOTT REED (http://fookyoutwit.net/2011/07/13/rick-olney-vs-scott-reed/)

And a report of another case, info taken from the Unscrewedcomic website. RICK OLNEY VS. JIM TOURNAS (http://fookyoutwit.net/2011/07/13/rick-olney-vs-jim-tournas/)

Gail Simone
07-17-2011, 08:53 PM

What? You're joking, surely.

Gail Simone
07-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Just an FYI, since I had some free time, I added a detailed account of the case between Rick Olney and Scott Reed to one of my blogs, to make it easier for any individuals or organizations to have the information to decide for themselves if this is the kind of man that they want to do business with. No personal commentary from me, I'm not involved with either party, I'm just presenting the known facts. Namely, that Rick Olney publicly accused Scott Reed of fraud in Dec. 2006, in Feb. 2007 Scott Reed took Olney to Small Claims Court, which Olney admitted he purposely did not attend, therefor losing by default. He initially claimed he would have the ruling overturned and take Reed to Civil Court, but never did. In Aug. 2009 he claimed to have worked out a deal with a collection agency in which he would make regular payments to clear his debt to Scott Reed, then made one payment of $100 in Oct. 2009, and said that was just the start. He then never made any further payments, and has declared several times that he will never make any more payments and continues to personally insult Scott Reed.

RICK OLNEY VS. SCOTT REED (http://fookyoutwit.net/2011/07/13/rick-olney-vs-scott-reed/)

And a report of another case, info taken from the Unscrewedcomic website. RICK OLNEY VS. JIM TOURNAS (http://fookyoutwit.net/2011/07/13/rick-olney-vs-jim-tournas/)

Thank you for that, J.R.

I repeat that people choosing to support any money-making effort by Rick Olney are doing so at the expense of the many people he has cheated.

Other than that, if they want to be fools, it's their choice. Unfortunately, they'll learn soon enough.

The Hero Maker
07-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Gail my only concern is my organization and the hard work I have done to build this ! I don't care what is said regarding Rick Olney. That's all I am trying to say I wish I had never gotten involved in this. My only concern is what I am doing for our Troops! I am not Rick Olney!

J.R. LeMar
07-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Unfortunately, as we all know, the original YABS threads, and this one, are so long and have gotten side-tracked many times, that I think it would be hard for a casual reader to really get the full story, because whose going to want to try sift through all that? Similarly, no offense to the operators of the site, I don't personally think that the unscrewed website is very reader-friendly, in regards to detailing the Olney situation, even the YABS thread archive (which has several broken links) may be too much for folks to try to wade through. That's why I thought it was important to have some simple direct links that could be sent to people (instead of just saying "google him") that clear through the unnecessary stuff and just give specific verifiable facts including, most importantly, Olney's own words. Later on, whenever I have time, I may add more posts that document other specific complaints from folks, like his multiple false promises and contradictory statements to Danny Donavon, Ronee, Caesar, etc.

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-17-2011, 09:15 PM
With my personal giving you the benefit of the doubt dwindling already, it's comments like this that make it go into a steep nosedive.

While you are here, a question for you. I have many but the nice guy in me still has some benefit of the doubt in your favour. When you first came here, your posts read to me like you had no knowledge of Rick's reputation at all. I've since learned you've been Rick's friend for at least 2 years and you follow his Sequential Soul blog, the one with pictures of overflowing toilets, threats and insults. I know Rick goes on deleting sprees but you must have been aware of his past troubles.

So did you pretend to not really know him or did I just read your posts wrong and you've always been open about your friendship?

p.s You really think Glenn Beck is the greatest patriot in the world? Really? I know I said only one question but come on! Everyone knows Rush Limbaugh is number 1!

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Just an FYI, since I had some free time, I added a detailed account of the case between Rick Olney and Scott Reed to one of my blogs
That is fantastic research and a great job of putting all the information into one easy to read package. Well done.

Greg S
07-17-2011, 09:25 PM

Dear Clayton D. Murwin of Heroes Fallen Studios Inc.,

As someone who has never served myself, I am particularly greatful to all members of the armed services for protecting me and my family and defending my rights and freedoms. I have worked in defense related businesses and have had many friends who have served and shared some of their experiences and insights with me. Everything I have read about Heroes Fallen Studios makes me believe that it is a fine group doing good, important work. I wish you nothing but success in that area.

Could you please explain to me how there are a peculiar few who have served who seem to think that because they defended my rights and freedoms, that gives them the right to tell me how and when to exercise those freedoms? I have only met a few who have this attitude, but it is a pernicious one and tarnishes otherwise sterling institutions.

Thank you.

-Greg S.

J.R. LeMar
07-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Everything I have read about Heroes Fallen Studios makes me believe that it is a fine group doing good, important work. I wish you nothing but success in that area.

And I agree with that (& have put my money where my mouth is in supporting that group), nevertheless, this thread is discussing the business actions of Rick Olney.

@ 7:28am this morning, Rick Olney posted:

November Guest Confirmation: Clayton D. Murwin (http://adirondackcomicfest.blogspot.com/2011/07/november-guest-confirmation-clayton-d.html)

So these names are publicly connected now, like it or not.

Flamebird
07-17-2011, 11:08 PM
If you get James Earl Jones to narrate it, I am buying it.

Nah, Foghorn Leghorn; maybe Daffy Duck if we're lucky.

Flamebird
07-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Gail my only concern is my organization and the hard work I have done to build this ! I don't care what is said regarding Rick Olney. That's all I am trying to say I wish I had never gotten involved in this. My only concern is what I am doing for our Troops! I am not Rick Olney!

And I agree with that (& have put my money where my mouth is in supporting that group), nevertheless, this thread is discussing the business actions of Rick Olney.

@ 7:28am this morning, Rick Olney posted:

November Guest Confirmation: Clayton D. Murwin (http://adirondackcomicfest.blogspot.com/2011/07/november-guest-confirmation-clayton-d.html)

So these names are publicly connected now, like it or not.

That looks pretty involved, to me.

Jim Ritchey
07-17-2011, 11:58 PM
And here I was defending you, believing you to be an honorable man. I've got really, really horrible news for you Clayton--nobody here is lying.

You've chosen to be in league with the lowest piece of human excrement I've ever personally known--a sociopath, a compulsive liar and a (proven in court) civil criminal who's stolen labor from MANY people (one almost resulting in a woman having her children taken away), DELIBERATELY hampered others' careers (mine--for one), stolen from charities--I guess over a mutual adoration of Glenn Beck? He's a walking mood swing, as well, so--Good Luck. You're in for the ride everybody gets.

'Fool me once, shame on you...'. What a total fucking HORRIBLE disappointment.

Gaelforce
07-18-2011, 04:41 AM
Clayton,

To be honest, you're making things very difficult on your own charity and equally difficult for the average, informed comic book ready to support you.

As I've pointed out before, I have not served (I was rejected from the Navy) but my father served as did my father-in-law, mother-in-law, and brother-in-law. I am a proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders and I support veteran's charities.

That being said, if you're willing to promote yourself as a guest and your company as a charitable organization by knowingly getting in bed with a man who is a known liar and thief as backed up by court rulings, not just internet rumor and opinion, then I have a hard time giving you my money.

I feel I'm better off just sending cash to a veteran's charity that is not supporting scum. I'm sorry as I very much wish it were otherwise, and your efforts with your organization are laudable. I just can't give you my money.

Matt Doc Martin
07-18-2011, 04:57 AM
I wondered the best way to respond to this.

With all due respect, as long as your name appears in publicity for Olney's event, you and your company are public figures and legitimate topics for conversation. That's how the First Amendment works. Nobody gets to tell others what they can and can't talk about. That's one of the basic human rights that our veterans fought to defend. Sorry if it inconveniences you at this time.
Then MacQ does it.

With my personal giving you the benefit of the doubt dwindling already, it's comments like this that make it go into a steep nosedive.

While you are here, a question for you. I have many but the nice guy in me still has some benefit of the doubt in your favour. When you first came here, your posts read to me like you had no knowledge of Rick's reputation at all. I've since learned you've been Rick's friend for at least 2 years and you follow his Sequential Soul blog, the one with pictures of overflowing toilets, threats and insults. I know Rick goes on deleting sprees but you must have been aware of his past troubles.

So did you pretend to not really know him or did I just read your posts wrong and you've always been open about your friendship?

p.s You really think Glenn Beck is the greatest patriot in the world? Really? I know I said only one question but come on! Everyone knows Rush Limbaugh is number 1!

And there we go.

Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas. You don't want to be associated with Rick Olney? Stop associating with him.

semiwriter
07-18-2011, 05:17 AM
Apparently, I didn't make myself clear enough.

I am not interested in discussing my position with anyone over the phone, via email, via Facebook, or via mind-melding.

I am only interested in ACTUAL VERIFIABLE FACTS with documentation there of.

Any information you send me will NOT BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL.

It will be SHARED WITH THE PUBLIC.

Secrecy of any kind can only allow Olney to do the kind of things he has done so many times before. It is foolish and, yes, immoral, to think and act otherwise.

My position remains that Olney and anything Olney is spearheading or involved in is irredeemably toxic. We have verifiable proof of his past history in like matters.

You're gonna have to work incredibly hard to convince me otherwise and you're not going to be able to convince me from behind closed doors.

My position. My rules.

Until you're ready to follow the above, leave me the fuck alone.

Let me just say that I have not contacted you since you made a statement to this effect a few pages back--I sent a few emails before you stated your position, and I apologize if those reached you a little after that first entry and you feel they breached your sense of etiquette. I have not contacted you since and will not contact you again, either.

That being said...

I am sorry for you, Tony. In all honesty, with much love, I feel incredibly sorry for you. Because at the very least... in this little way, in this one form of board etiquette... you have LET Rick Olney into your heart and PERMITTED him kill your spirit towards others, if only a tiny bit. Your need for justice (which is a quite legitimate one, I grant you) has shifted your determination to stop Rick from damaging others until you are now doing the same. I can see that this affair has twisted your sensitivities. Basically, you have ALLOWED Rick to corrupt you.

Or to paraphrase a certain author that we're mutually familiar with, you are climbing the dung heap for the rose at the top, but when you get there, you'll find that you have lost your sense of smell.

This posting is not in any way to diminish the evils of Rick Olney. Let's be QUITE clear on that. But let me say that for myself (or perhaps you just see it as more "blah blah blah," as you stated before?), I find this to be a difficult catch-22 situation (and I am entitled to that opinion). A businessman, who made a simple request that his name or charity no longer be mentioned in this thread, is in quite a bind over this. Anyone can see that, yet now he is being turned into an enemy rather than being offered whatever help we can give him to protect himself and his charity? And that's fair play?

You say it is "foolish and immoral" to maintain any kind of privacy where Rick's activities concerned, but this is the internet we're on and it is NEVER wise to put everything you know and everything you've got going on out there for the general public. Because the general public skewers things. But never mind. I have a feeling you have stopped reading long before this.

Again, my sympathies go out to that tiny, precious element of your lost humanity. And that does make me despise Rick Olney that much more, as I have sensed over time that you are, at a basic level, a decent man.

Kevin T Brown
07-18-2011, 05:57 AM
The more things change......

:nonono2:

Gail Simone
07-18-2011, 06:02 AM

Clayton, we know you are not Rick Olney, we keep repeating that and I keep saying I have nothing but respect for you keeping your word.

I'm not sure why you think anyone thinks you're Rick...? What am I missing?

I don't think anyone has a beef with you, even people who feel it's bad that you are appearing know you are doing so because you
gave your word and want to keep it.

Gail Simone
07-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Let me just say that I have not contacted you since you made a statement to this effect a few pages back--I sent a few emails before you stated your position, and I apologize if those reached you a little after that first entry and you feel they breached your sense of etiquette. I have not contacted you since and will not contact you again, either.

That being said...

I am sorry for you, Tony. In all honesty, with much love, I feel incredibly sorry for you. Because at the very least... in this little way, in this one form of board etiquette... you have LET Rick Olney into your heart and PERMITTED him kill your spirit towards others, if only a tiny bit. Your need for justice (which is a quite legitimate one, I grant you) has shifted your determination to stop Rick from damaging others until you are now doing the same. I can see that this affair has twisted your sensitivities. Basically, you have ALLOWED Rick to corrupt you.

Or to paraphrase a certain author that we're mutually familiar with, you are climbing the dung heap for the rose at the top, but when you get there, you'll find that you have lost your sense of smell.

This posting is not in any way to diminish the evils of Rick Olney. Let's be QUITE clear on that. But let me say that for myself (or perhaps you just see it as more "blah blah blah," as you stated before?), I find this to be a difficult catch-22 situation (and I am entitled to that opinion). A businessman, who made a simple request that his name or charity no longer be mentioned in this thread, is in quite a bind over this. Anyone can see that, yet now he is being turned into an enemy rather than being offered whatever help we can give him to protect himself and his charity? And that's fair play?

You say it is "foolish and immoral" to maintain any kind of privacy where Rick's activities concerned, but this is the internet we're on and it is NEVER wise to put everything you know and everything you've got going on out there for the general public. Because the general public skewers things. But never mind. I have a feeling you have stopped reading long before this.

Again, my sympathies go out to that tiny, precious element of your lost humanity. And that does make me despise Rick Olney that much more, as I have sensed over time that you are, at a basic level, a decent man.

ALL of us are responsible for our own actions and associations.

No one gets to proactively ask everyone to silence all potential criticism.

And believe me, I know Tony. He is an optimistic, positive fellow. He doesn't like Rick Olney, but I assure you,
that has zero effect on Tony's life and heart.

semiwriter
07-18-2011, 06:36 AM
And believe me, I know Tony. He is an optimistic, positive fellow. He doesn't like Rick Olney, but I assure you,
that has zero effect on Tony's life and heart.

Very glad to hear that.

Stressfactor
07-18-2011, 07:33 AM
You know, I understand being a "man of your word", I really, really do. And God knows there needs to be more people out there like that.

But here's what I don't understand.... The limits of that.

Let's say someone came up to you and said "Promise me that you'll come and ring my doorbell at 5:00 this evening." And you promise to do so. Then, between then and 5:00 you discover that the person has rigged their doorbell to deliver a painful and physically harming (if not fatal) electric shock.

Are you then required to keep your word even though you know that you are going to be injured and potentially even killed? And knowing as well that the person who elicited the promise from you knew about the electric shock but asked you anyway?

To me it's like promising someone that you will shoot yourself in the foot for no good reason.

And it seems to me that there's little honor in keeping that kind of promise.

Tom Stillwell
07-18-2011, 07:51 AM
A businessman, who made a simple request that his name or charity no longer be mentioned in this thread, is in quite a bind over this. Anyone can see that, yet now he is being turned into an enemy rather than being offered whatever help we can give him to protect himself and his charity? And that's fair play?

A bind he put himself in by not doing the due diligence on someone he's willingly partnered with. We've offered the best advice we can give in regards to protecting himself and his charity from being damaged by association with Rick Olney: End that association.

Clayton is not an enemy and he's not Rick Olney. But he's decided to associate himself and his charity with Olney even knowing all the facts. That's not smart and that's not good stewardship of the charity he claims to hold dear.

What good is giving his word to Olney if it ends up hurting his cause? Does that help veterans? Would the veterans he wants to help feel good about this association if they knew what Clayton knows? These are questions Clayton either hasn't asked himself or doesn't care to answer.

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-18-2011, 08:14 AM
The more I read the last few days of this thread over, the more I follow links to very interesting and enlightening news stories, the more exacerbated it makes me feel.

In the last 1.5 years I have lost my mother, grandmother and aunt to long drawn out sicknesses all the while trying to raise a daughter all by myself. It's left me with a lot of frustration. One of the ways I get my frustrations out is by helping others so they don't have frustrations of their own. Where once I was happy to stand on the sidelines, I now raise my voice.

Rick Olney owes money to a lot of people. No one has to get involved with him, it's their choice. It is a choice to remain by him his side in the dirt. He doesn't have control over anyone, no one is his slave. Supporting Rick Olney is a choice one makes and can be stopped at anytime. As Stressfactor pointed out in the post above me, giving ones word does have a limit. You do have that freedom. This still is the United States of America! (Well for you, I'm slightly up north)

Oops I forgot, not everyone thinks the US is around anymore, where is that quote. Oh here it is, "Welcome to AmeriEurope Land of the slave" Maybe that country has different rules about giving ones word?

Btw, this is me when I still am giving someone the benefit of the doubt.

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Whoops, I went to edit my last post and instead made a new one. So um, how about that weather? Supposed to get over 35C this week plus whatever the humidity makes it. I wonder if I can type from a bathtub of ice?

Artful Angie
07-19-2011, 03:02 AM
Okay, folks, I stayed out of the thread for a few days because I've really been mulling over saying this. But I really do need to say it, and I realize it might start a flame war. But I feel it HAS to be said. Amd I'm only going to say it ONCE, and then not bring it up again unless someone else in this room feels it's an opinion with merit.

CLAYTON IS IN ON THE SCAM WITH RICK!

My original question to Clayton of "Where and when did you first come across Rick Olney?" was never really answered to my satisfaction, as in NOT ANSWERED AT ALL BY CLAYTON. And then this weekend, I saw the post here:

"Clayton did a logo for ORCA in 2009".

So Clayton ISN'T just some guy who recently got involved in The Saga Of Olney with blinders on. This guy has known about the controversy swirling around him for TWO YEARS! Or, at the very least, had the opportunity to learn about it during that time.

Here's what makes me wonder:

* Clayton has known about Rick for two years.

* We find out about the scam, and Clayton comes on the thread to say "Hey. I just found out about this POSSIBILITY that Rick may not be honorable. But I've made my PERSONAL commitment to be at this con, and I will be." So we all go "Awwww. What a good man for sticking to his own personal values, but at least he has his eyes open about the situation now".

* Who is the only person who told us with vague assurances that "safeguards were in place" to prevent a repeat of Mini-Con?? CLAYTON.

* That draws our attention away from Clayton and onto where this scam is going to take place. In the meantime, more of Clayton's associates on the book project, as well as Clayton himself, get confirmed last weekend for the show.

* As soon as things start to come into focus that Clayton may not be on the up and up, he starts coming in here and trying to deny the freedom of speech he, Olney, Greg, and MYSELF served in our armed forces to defend.

My personal opinion, MINE and MINE alone, is that Clayton is as much of a henchman of Olney and is actively involved in this SCAM as an effort to help Olney re-establish his self-ruined reputation and make himself seem legit-o-mite. That the "Veteran's Organization" that is supposed to benefit by a donation from this Scam is Clayton's and ONLY Clayton's!

Gail, Jim, Tom, or Tony let's put it to you this way: You get invited to a convention you've never been to before. You accept, and then when your industry peers find out, then send you a barrage of email warnings telling you the organizer for the con has a history of being blantantly crooked. Well-documented, flat-out rips people off with his cons and has screwed over guests and attendees alike. But you feel it's YOUR OWN PERSONAL HONOR to attend because you gave your word.

So let me ask you this: TWO MONTHS LATER, the artist or co-writer on the book you work on comes to you and says "Hey, this guy is inviting me to this con because you are going. Should I go too?" WHAT WOULD YOU SAY???

So the fact that two months after telling us "Hey, thanks for opening my eyes to the scam. But I still have to go because I gave my word", he allows his co-writers and co-artists to agree to go to this scam too?? I'm sorry. I'm calling bullshit on Clayton. Because to me, that's the same thing as putting the bullets in the gun for Olney and aiming it at his co-workers on the project.

And you can say what you like about how he's "just trying to make it more successful for the project by bringing more of his peers there" but screwing over people is screwing over people, whther it's one or a hotel in Herkimer full of people. And that's giving Olney more of what we used to call in the military a "target-rich environment".

And that's NOT EVEN giving consideration to the fact that Clayton and Olney have been connected for TWO FREAKING YEARS!! So that adds a whole new layer of just what lies beneath Clayton's motivation for doing this SCAM with Rick.

So, kick me out of the thread, call me names, whatever. I'm saying this is my opinion, and I DEFENDED MY COUNTRY TO HAVE IT! Clayton is involved in making this SCAM happen FOR and WITH Rick!

CLAYTON IS NOT A VICTIM

CLAYTON IS A HENCHMAN

Tom Stillwell
07-19-2011, 04:07 AM
I'm just going to put this out there...

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/Anderson_Family_Concerned_About_Buckys_Memorial_10 5724933.html

Gail Simone
07-19-2011, 04:14 AM

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/Anderson_Family_Concerned_About_Buckys_Memorial_10 5724933.html

Unfortunately there is more to the story than that.

Clayton, can you give your side of the lawsuit that followed, please?

Matt Doc Martin
07-19-2011, 05:02 AM

Unfortunately there is more to the story than that.

Clayton, can you give your side of the lawsuit that followed, please?

Oy bloody vey. It doesn't rain but it pours.

Gaelforce
07-19-2011, 05:18 AM
Ouch. This isn't looking good.

The Truth, Written by John Skelly (http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=167564516611778#!/note.php?note_id=167564516611778#!/?sk=inbox&action=read&tid=id.188276594566163)

This Facebook page is all about the fund raising for the memorial. It's long and lacking paragraphs, but here's an excerpt:

Clayton Murwin and his Heroes Fallen Studios, Inc. had been trying for over two years to publish what he calls a graphic novel relating the stories of soldiers who served in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Until recently, he has had limited success in our community raising the funds necessary to publish his first edition. Clayton Murwin has just recently announced on his web page that the first publication will be released this month and ready to go on sale at the cost of $24.99/copy. Clayton Murwin reported the first-run cost of the graphic novel was to be $6,500.00. We all know the quoted cost for the Bucky Anderson monument was to cost $6,800.00 (Coincidence?)

Also, from the Facebook page Friends of Bucky Anderson Memorial (http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=167564516611778#!/pages/Friends-of-Bucky-Anderson-Memorial/172074756145152)

Justice was served. Seven people who donated to the "other" memorial was granted their money back in civil court last week. The Domino Pizza $600 fundraiser was also awarded back to the REFI Scholarship Fund in Bucky's honor. Thank you to the Rockingham County Court System for doing the RIGHT THING!

We are very pleased to announce that the Rockingham County School Board voted 5-0 to rescind the resolution from Heroes Fallen Studio to place a memorial at Broadway High School.

I'm also very interested in hearing Mr. Murwin's side of this story. This is very upsetting if it's true that Clayton solicited donations at the funeral of an honored veteran for a non-existent memorial in order to fund the publication of his graphic novel.

Gail Simone
07-19-2011, 06:47 AM
The mother of Bucky Anderson had serious objections and apparently filed a lawsuit and asked her son's name to be removed from the memorial, according to what I just read. Don't know how it worked out.

Clayton, everyone wants to be fair. Can you explain this, please?

KJ!
07-19-2011, 06:48 AM
I have been absent. (Well I've been around, but illness hasn't been great, so I've been limiting my time around. I owe a huge apology to Jim, personal and public. This is the public one)

But, I had to post when I saw this.

This is disgusting.

Here's another article: So that's at least two lawsuits against Murwin.

http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/Lawsuits_Filed_Against_Bucky_Anderson_Memorial_Cre ator_115617444.html

I saw one of the names on his creative list, and it was someone I did not like, and I believe the same person that spoke to Gail. I thought that was just co-incidence, that someone with such a poor attitude would hook up with a good guy and good organisation.

No. It seems the organisation and the person running it are far, far worse.

A family was already grieving the loss of their son, and YOU, Sir, compounded that grief, seemingly for your own gain. (That Domino's example being the perfect example to back that up, I believe. I quote:

''1). Kenny Anderson, who attended the carwash, observed that no receipts were offered for cash donation. 2) Margaret was contacted by Domino’s Pizzas’ management and told her that their fundraiser had raised $600.00 for the Brian “Bucky” Anderson Memorial Monument. However, since it was stated in the paper that all of the necessary funds had been raised for the monument, they asked Margaret if she would prefer the cash be given to “Bucky’s” scholarship fund, which greatly excited Kenny and Margaret. Shortly thereafter, Clayton Murwin visited Domino’s Pizza inquiring for the results of the fundraiser. He was told that they collected $600.00 and since the newspaper article had reported that all the monies necessary to build the monument had already been raised, the Anderson’s wanted to donate this $600 to Bucky’s scholarship fund. Mr. Murwin become very upset with the management and demanded that the monies be turned over to his organization. He felt the money was “his” because the Heroes Fallen Studios, Inc. logo was used on the bottom of the flyer and also claiming IRS regulations requiring him to collect the money. Domino’s Pizza management team reported that Clayton Murwin made a big scene and disrupted business activities. In the end, Clayton Murwin collected the $600 from Domino’s Pizza. In the meantime, Clayton Murwin has promised to give that money to the Bucky’s Scholarship Fund; however, he has yet to make that contribution.''

That's absolutely foul behaviour from you, and simply inhuman.

You wanted to be talked about less?

I'll be talking about you a lot MORE, none of it good.

I hope that anyone who bought his book due to this thread requests a refund, via Paypal or their credit card company. I'd say there's definitely grounds for it, although of course, your CC regulations are different than ours.

I hope this man earns not one cent from this, or ANY, of his endeavours related to comics and/or the military. He certainly doesn't appear to be an ambassador of the values he states he supports.

There's a big difference between SAYING these are your values, and living them.

You fail.

KJ!
07-19-2011, 06:50 AM
http://militarygear.com/asp/2010/11/06/hero-maker-under-fire/

This seems to sum up the other side of the argument.

KJ!
07-19-2011, 06:56 AM
http://militarygear.com/asp/2010/11/23/fallen-hero-memorial-arrives-in-broadway/

There's follow-ups on that link on the post above, including this, showing the base, with a glaring typo. Comments section is quite interesting.

This is in there: ''Memorial Arrives – Misspelled Posted November 23, 2010 12:00 AM EST
Monument's Mistakes Latest In Ongoing Tribute Dispute

By Jeremy Hunt

HARRISONBURG – Both sides involved in a contentious dispute over a proposed memorial can agree on at least one thing: The word commemorate is spelled with three m's.

Mistakes on the monument for fallen U.S. soldiers – at the nexus of a heated clash between the man who proposed the project and the parents of a slain Broadway soldier – are the latest flap in the ongoing argument.

The word "commemorated" is misspelled on a granite base for the memorial, and the listing of a local high school named for Civil War Confederate Brig. Gen. Turner Ashby is reversed.

The parents of Army Spc. Brian "Bucky" Anderson, 24, have been skeptical that money raised using their son's name and image actually went to purchase a monument through Florida Fallen Heroes, a nonprofit organization.

Clayton Murwin of Timberville came forward after Anderson's death June 12 in combat in Afghanistan. At the time, Murwin said he wanted to put a memorial in Anderson's honor at Broadway High School.

Anderson played football at BHS and won two state high school wrestling championships before graduating in 2004.

Although he distributed information calling it the Bucky Anderson Memorial, Murwin insists it was always intended as a tribute to all local fallen soldiers with no prominence given to Anderson.

Kenny and Margaret Anderson, however, say the memorial was always presented as a tribute to their son, and many people made donations thinking it was specifically for him.

While the Andersons believe all soldiers should be honored, they say the community was promised a tribute to Bucky.

Donor Chip Parkins said he received a receipt from Murwin with a note that reads, "We would like to thank you for your donation and support to the Bucky Anderson Memorial."

"That's pretty damn clear to me," Parkins said.

Due to a number of delays and conflicting information, Kenny and Margaret Anderson were hoping the $6,800 raised for the project hadn't been spent, family friend and spokesman John Skelly said.

But the granite base for the monument has arrived in Broadway, and Murwin posed next to it for a photograph, which has been posted on a blogger's website.

The front of the monument reads, "Dedicated & commemorated (sic) to all our fallen heroes lest they be forgotten." Two emblems depicting symbols for Florida Fallen Heroes and Heroes Fallen Studios, Murwin's fledgling organization, are seen on the front above the text.

"Put yourself in the position of the Andersons – your boy's name has been used to raise money in the community and that's the monument that's been made," Skelly said. "I truly believe that monument was a discard because of the misspelling."

On the back is a list of donors, which includes "Ashby Turner Wrestling," an apparent reference to Turner Ashby High School's wrestling team. Parkins, whose twin sons used to wrestle at TA, made a donation on the team's behalf. He said the wrestling teams at Broadway and Turner Ashby, while competitive, respect each other.

Hayden Fisher, a Richmond-based attorney who is representing Murwin, said a number of changes made to the monument's inscription contributed to the error on the front.

"The misspelling is, obviously, regrettable," Fisher said. "There's really no excuse for something like this, but something like this happens because there's tons and tons of changes made."

The Andersons and Murwin had been trying to reach an agreement on the memorial's design, but those talks boiled over in October. At a contentious mediation meeting, the Andersons grew frustrated and requested their son's name not be included as had been negotiated.

Fisher said a bronze plaque would be placed over the engraved text to cover up the spelling mistake.

As far as "Ashby Turner" is concerned, Fisher said it likely wouldn't be changed.

That doesn't sit well with Parkins, who didn't know Bucky Anderson but wanted to donate to the cause.

"Subway [in Broadway] donated money for that cause. What if they said, ‘Ubway' or ‘Waysub'?" Parkins said. "Take every one that's right and make it backwards and what would [the donors] say?"

While the memorial was intended to be placed at Broadway High School, the Rockingham County School Board won't allow that until the mistakes are remedied and a consensus is reached, said Carol Fenn, superintendent of county schools.

"Until those things are corrected, the board would not be placing a memorial [on school property]," she said. "It's not ready to go on property, and it needs to meet … the intent of the community before it's placed there."

Contact Jeremy Hunt at 574-6273 or jhunt@dnronline.com''

That seems pretty clear. If the receipt says it's the memorial for that soldier, then that seems pretty clear on what the donours thought they were giving to. If it was a general memorial, that should have been stated on the receipt instead.

http://militarygear.com/asp/tag/clayton-murwin/

Here's a link to the others.

Note the dates. End of November, still arguments on the statue. Early February - graphic novel released. Interesting, no?

Kevin T Brown
07-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Oy bloody vey. It doesn't rain but it pours.You can certainly say that again.....

Gail Simone
07-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Wow.

This needs explanation, Clayton. I am reserving judgment. But these allegations are extremely troubling.

KJ!
07-19-2011, 07:24 AM
Would those seven people who won their lawsuits have to had filed separately? They would have, wouldn't they?

If so, that'd make it at least 9 lawsuits.

MyNameIsNotLarry
07-19-2011, 07:53 AM
I knew this information about Clayton Murwin 3 days ago. I discovered it by following a link to Facebook. I passed that info along to those I thought should know in PM and have been continuing my search and coming up with my opinion. That's why my most recent posts have been... different in tone. So I can share a few extra things.

Clayton wrote elsewhere that the only reason he lost those civil cases was because of an error on a flyer. I'll have to check for exact wording.

Also of note, if you see any articles written by CJ, Grisham I believe his last name is? He has a story in Clayton's book, is a personal friend of Clayton and is also friends with, you guessed it, Rick Olney. So his opinion isn't from an outsiders view.

More in a bit when I double check some stuff

Gaelforce
07-19-2011, 08:07 AM
One of those links is CJ's explanation. I was reading it and it seemed pretty even-handed in his attempt to explain Clayton's side of things.

Until, imo, about halfway through when he starts to post things about the teacher who wrote the first link I posted. He mentions 'rumors' and 'people have said' that he was dismissed from a teaching position for being inappropriate with children.

No proof. No charges. And it's incredibly irrelevent to the issue at hand, but once he struck that tone, I have to admit, I gave him a lot less credit. When feel you need to repost rumors and things that 'they' say in order to demonize the other side, I lose a lot of respect for you. It makes it hard for me to give weight to other things you say as well :(