PDA

View Full Version : Rick Olney: Still does not pay freelancers or anyone else.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24

Erica J Heflin
01-15-2012, 03:45 AM
There are a couple of new sites that seem to be collecting Olney information as well. It's a lot of the same information, links to various blogs on those who've dealt with Olney, etc. and I believe you've seen all the material. I don't want to direct link yet, but if you want to see then PM me and I'll be glad to pass the info your way.

Gail Simone
01-15-2012, 06:09 AM
I'm aware of one, and someone else is doing a story. I forwarded his latest stuff, mocking a deceased woman, and the most recent misogyny rant.

It's mostly boring if you've been through his meltdown mode as many times as most of us have, but pretty shocking if this is your first time reading this super-Christian poetry-quoting racist deadbeat.

Gail Simone
01-15-2012, 06:11 AM
There are a couple of new sites that seem to be collecting Olney information as well. It's a lot of the same information, links to various blogs on those who've dealt with Olney, etc. and I believe you've seen all the material. I don't want to direct link yet, but if you want to see then PM me and I'll be glad to pass the info your way.

Hey, how is your new project going?

Gail Simone
01-15-2012, 06:13 AM
Outsider, would you mind capping again? I would appreciate it!

Erica J Heflin
01-15-2012, 07:29 AM
I'm aware of one, and someone else is doing a story. I forwarded his latest stuff, mocking a deceased woman, and the most recent misogyny rant.

It's mostly boring if you've been through his meltdown mode as many times as most of us have, but pretty shocking if this is your first time reading this super-Christian poetry-quoting racist deadbeat.

Really it is the same old stuff. I don't actively seek information about his deeds outside of this thread, so having it dropped onto my lap was a surprise. It does tell me that the information is being disseminated quite well.

Hey, how is your new project going?

I'm working on a few right now, but the overall answer is slowly but steadily. I'm looking forward to having proper material to show later this year.

Gail Simone
01-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Really it is the same old stuff. I don't actively seek information about his deeds outside of this thread, so having it dropped onto my lap was a surprise. It does tell me that the information is being disseminated quite well.

I'm working on a few right now, but the overall answer is slowly but steadily. I'm looking forward to having proper material to show later this year.

You should, you are extremely talented, that last script was a PLEASURE to read.

HamsterRage
01-15-2012, 07:55 AM
I just reread the book I got from you at Chicago Con. It's terrific.

Thank you Gail! That's very kind of you to say.

The third issue is getting colored right now and will start pages going online soon. I'm in school right now to pursue a Masters and that's put comic creating as a lower priority temporarily.

That said if you walk into several shops in Chicago you can pick up the first two issues of Hamster Rage... Where as TightLip is vapor ware, and all of Olney's stuff is just bad outdated shit from 20 years ago.

Artful Angie
01-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Thank you Gail! That's very kind of you to say.

The third issue is getting colored right now and will start pages going online soon. I'm in school right now to pursue a Masters and that's put comic creating as a lower priority temporarily.

That said if you walk into several shops in Chicago you can pick up the first two issues of Hamster Rage... Where as TightLip is vapor ware, and all of Olney's stuff is just bad outdated shit from 20 years ago.

I'm sure he'll update it, Rage. For example, he commented on how his lame superheroes were unable to catch Osama before his Commander-In-Chief was able to complete the task Olney failed at. So by the time he's ready to go to press, he'll find a contemporary bad guy to find that his Captain America Carbon Copies can tackle. Like Mister Spacely who is using those space sprockets for evil purposes!

MacQuarrie
01-15-2012, 08:42 AM
I think Sarah is right; he claims he hasn't received the C&D because he never answered the door when the post office tried to deliver it and he ignored all the subsequent notices that there is a certified letter waiting for him.

He thinks if he dodges service on the letter, he will avoid the problem. He is in for a very rude awakening. The next letter he dodges will be the serving of a lawsuit, followed by delivery from a process server, followed by a court date, followed by a huge loss and catastrophic damages awarded.

Lucas HAS to "vigorously police" their trademarks or risk losing them; read the Lanham Act. Look up what Starbucks did to Kieron Dwyer for his parody of their logo. It definitely cost them a hell of a lot more to prosecute that case than he made from publishing his parody. They wanted to make an example of him, and I'll bet Lucas will want to make an example of Olney. Especially now that he's offering the maps for sale again.

SarahBeach
01-15-2012, 09:42 AM
And remember, Mac, this time he isn't even pretending that the money from any sales would be going to charity. Obviously, that cause was never the primary thing on his mind. "I have maps for sale" - that's all he's thinking about.

I wonder how many postal contacts he's avoided lately.

AIPman1
01-15-2012, 09:59 AM
How hard it must be to commit mail fraud when you cant even go into a post office without them chasing you going "You have a registered letter!!"

Artful Angie
01-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Makes you wonder how he ever receives any of the submissions for his crAPA.

And given his fetish for all thing anally related and his habit of avoiding the mailman, how does Benny Leal get his artwork out of the prison and to Rick.

MacQuarrie
01-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Makes you wonder how he ever receives any of the submissions for his crAPA.

And given his fetish for all thing anally related and his habit of avoiding the mailman, how does Benny Leal get his artwork out of the prison and to Rick.
They deliver regular mail, he only dodges anything he has to sign for.

AIPman1
01-15-2012, 11:18 AM
ew...my warped brain flashed to some sort of conjugal visits....please....take this image out of my head!!!!

Outsider
01-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Outsider, would you mind capping again? I would appreciate it!

http://i.imgur.com/03cfHs.jpg (http://imgur.com/03cfH) http://i.imgur.com/MAmC6s.jpg (http://imgur.com/MAmC6) http://i.imgur.com/n2NfYs.jpg (http://imgur.com/n2NfY) http://i.imgur.com/61BaUs.jpg (http://imgur.com/61BaU)

Gail Simone
01-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Are these caps readable? I can't read them on my iPad...

Artful Angie
01-15-2012, 12:39 PM
ew...my warped brain flashed to some sort of conjugal visits....please....take this image out of my head!!!!

Yeah, that's where I was going with the joke. I figured some kind of butt-smuggling operation is probably how Rick heard of Benny Leal in the first place.

Artful Angie
01-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Yeah, that's where I was going with the joke. I figured some kind of butt-smuggling operation is probably how Rick heard of Benny Leal in the first place.

leftwingnutcase
01-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Given my post on "riding gangs" and Olney's anal fixation, I now know what kind of "gang" he was insinuating us to be. He's under the impression that we're all butt-pirates!

[Insert Self-Serving, Self-Effacing Gay Joke Here]

Outsider
01-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Are these caps readable? I can't read them on my iPad...

The links are working on a PC and the caps are legible. I can send them to you directly, if you'd like.

Erica J Heflin
01-15-2012, 02:15 PM
You should, you are extremely talented, that last script was a PLEASURE to read.

I'm glad to hear you say that. I'm working on it! And I'm always welcome to any criticism you want to throw my way, too.

Don Krick
01-15-2012, 03:04 PM
From Something's Stinking:
Saturday, January 14, 2012
Don Krick responds to fulfill his ongoing attempt to puff himself up;

Puff myself up? What does that even mean? Never mind the rest of that rambling wreck of dialogue, I don't get the title. Puff myself up? Forget me, Doughboy, have you looked in a mirror lately? You get any bigger and they will stick a helium hose up your butt and enter you in the Macy's Parade!

Artful Angie
01-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Don, Rick couldn't puff himself up anymore if he had access to a hot air balloon engine. They don't put out nearly as much hot air as he does!

Meantime, I did notice something today.

He announced his cover for his next crAPA issue the other day, with it being a picture of The Fantastic Four by Joe Sinnott. Take a look:

http://orcomx-apa.blogspot.com/

Nice picture, right? Must have made Rick proud to have Joe do it for him.

Except he didn't. Rick STOLE IT from Joe's Website. Then true to form, Rick cut and paste it, just like he did with that doctored photo of Tony Isabella.

http://joesinnott.com/marvelartag/fantasticfour.html

On the blegh, Rick talks about Joe.

Read a tribute to Joe Sinnott, along with read an article on Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. Wha!? You think you know it all already? Don't be left out! Go back to those early days of one of the greatest team comics ever made!

Anyone care to take bets on the article also being STOLEN from somewhere else, thus proving Rick couldn't write a positive idea himself if he tried?

Gail Simone
01-15-2012, 03:55 PM
What a gorgeous day here...snow everywhere. We never get snow!

Artful Angie
01-15-2012, 06:56 PM
I saw this last night on SNL, and immediately thought of Rick.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/you-can-do-anything/1379100

Rick will soon be a guest on "You Can Do Anything!"

MyNameIsNotLarry
01-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Hmmmm

Blog has been removed
Sorry, the blog at somethingstingling.blogspot.com has been removed. This address is not available for new blogs.

MyNameIsNotLarry
01-16-2012, 12:58 PM
The blog was up and working less than an hour ago.

AIPman1
01-16-2012, 01:02 PM
hahahahhaha hahahahah hahehehehehehe, that's just funny. hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

i hope it was taken down on him, and not by him

hahahahahahahahahhahahaha

Outsider
01-16-2012, 01:27 PM
I checked it this morning at 7 a.m. to see if there was anything new to cap, and there was not. I hope I didn't miss anything.

ETA: Sequential Soul is still there.

Deegan
01-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Thank goodness it's all logged away safely here!

MyNameIsNotLarry
01-16-2012, 01:34 PM
I checked it this morning at 7 a.m. to see if there was anything new to cap, and there was not. I hope I didn't miss anything.

ETA: Sequential Soul is still there.
No worries Outsider, you didn't miss anything. I checked and the last cap you posted was Rick's newest entry less than an hour before the blog was deleted.

Gail Simone
01-16-2012, 01:38 PM
I gave the recent racist, misogynist stuff and the threats to the people doing a story. It's covered.

Matt Doc Martin
01-16-2012, 01:41 PM
The blog was up and working less than an hour ago.

Oh no!!! Where will we get our poorly worded vitriol and empty threats now?!?

Artful Angie
01-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Just Rick in his usual cycle of life.Brag about himself, then come here to read about himself. Insult the people who post here, then read more about himself. Threaten and mock the people who warn about his scams, then read more about himself. Realize he's stepped in it with one or more rants that go over the line, and delete delete delete. Worry that might not be enough and shut the blegh down for a day or two.

His scam website, the one where he's trying to pass himself off as just a nice religious kind old man of the world, is still up and running. As is his crAPA site. I figured that would be the first to go this time since he got caught swiping that image from Joe Sinnott's website to use as his next issue's cover. Didn't he do that with KISS a while back?

And I know we're not supposed to talk about the "C" word anymore when it comes to Rick. But I saw this article at WKTV's website, and wanted to point out THIS in how people in Central New York come together when something bad happens to someone good. (So, technically, it's not about Rick.)

http://www.wktv.com/news/local/Benefit-held-for-local-man-diagnosed-with-Stage-Four-pancreatic-cancer-137434853.html

Benefit held for local man diagnosed with Stage Four pancreatic cancer

By WKTV News

Story Created: Jan 16, 2012 EST

(Story Updated: Jan 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM EST )

NEW HARTFORD, N.Y. (WKTV) - A benefit was held Sunday at Valentino's Banquet Hall in New Hartford, for Joe Lewis, a man recently diagnosed with Stage Four pancreatic cancer.

Lewis has lived in the Utica-Whitesboro area since he was seven years old.

Approximately 1,000 tickets to Sunday's fundraiser were sold. His son says that the number of attendees is just a testament to how much the community loves his father.

"Along the line, he's done something for someone," said Rick Lewis, Joe Lewis' son. "Everyone he has come in contact with. Just an all-around great guy, and you see by the attendance here today. I believe we've sold over 1,000 tickets."

More than 40 restaurants and vendors donated their time and products Sunday, as well.

All proceeds go to help defray medical costs.

If you would like to make a donation, checks can be made out to "The Benefit for Joe Lewis" and mailed to: c/o Laurie Maglione, 5073 Roseanne Drive, Liverpool, NY 13088.

I will only say this in reference to Rick: Ever hear anybody even offer to do the same for him?? What's that say about his standing in the community? "I'm Rick Olney and I'm such a man of the people! Especially the ones who read my blegh. Their names are Barbara and Starr!"

And yes, I'm planning to send in a donation.

leftwingnutcase
01-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Just now:

Blog has been removed
Sorry, the blog at somethingstingling.blogspot.com has been removed. This address is not available for new blogs.

Did you expect to see your blog here? See: 'I can't find my blog on the Web, where is it?'

Outsider
01-16-2012, 02:25 PM
The ORCOMX-APA has been changed; the cover image of the upcoming zine has been changed to a new image; this time it's swiped from Domination Factor Avengers #1.

http://i.imgur.com/4hx9Ys.png (http://imgur.com/4hx9Y)

MyNameIsNotLarry
01-16-2012, 02:31 PM
The ORCOMX-APA has been changed; the cover image of the upcoming zine has been changed to a new image; this time it's swiped from Domination Factor Avengers #1.

http://i.imgur.com/4hx9Ys.png (http://imgur.com/4hx9Y)

Good eye. If you go to the previous page there, the cover for issue #81 is a Marc Silverstri drawing of Iron Man that was used for Marvel posters as well as Iron Man Magazine #3

AIPman1
01-16-2012, 02:40 PM
OK, geez Angie...here's an observation: if you have to say "I know we shouldn't talk about it, but" then DON'T DO IT. And you go on to mention his family too. Geez. OK Brian maybe you weren't being an ass. Well, you WERE an ass to ME, but...I was being as ass trying to give Angie another chance. (there, since Rick's site's down now we've had our quota of butt-centered talk)

I throw my hands up and give up on Angie.....

Matt Doc Martin
01-16-2012, 03:29 PM
OK, geez Angie...here's an observation: if you have to say "I know we shouldn't talk about it, but" then DON'T DO IT. And you go on to mention his family too. Geez. OK Brian maybe you weren't being an ass. Well, you WERE an ass to ME, but...I was being as ass trying to give Angie another chance. (there, since Rick's site's down now we've had our quota of butt-centered talk)

I throw my hands up and give up on Angie.....

Please let us not start this again. You are a good person, Brian is a good person, and Angie is a good person, though given to a few poor choices. It has happened to us all, as Brian, you , and I can attest.

AIPman1
01-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Matt, that was actually kinda supposed to be an apology to Brian....at least I was hoping he would take it that way.

Artful Angie
01-16-2012, 03:57 PM
It wasn't an observation on his health, Ian. It was an observation on his character. I made that disclaimer because I wanted to be clear.

If Rick was as well-loved and respected (*COUGH COUGH* Sorry, that almost stuck in my throat) as he claimed to be, then when life sent him lemons he'd have people in this community willing to help him make lemonade. That's true if you're talking about any claims regarding his health, his attempts to start a convention that "gets derailed by trolls" or even how he's "treated by trolls at some website".

I said it to Rick right here the other day: If you had 200 people willing to go to bat for you then where are they and why do we never see even ONE person here trying to refute your claims up "just being persecuted"? You've told people in your bleghs that not one does for each other anymore in this area, Rick. And here's a glowing example of just how wrong you are.

And as for changing your magazine cover just after I pointed out you SWIPED the image from Joe Sinnott's website, I can't imagine why you did it. Unless it was because several people contacted Joe's son Mark Sinnott and pointed it out to him over the weekend. But of course, you never received a Cease & Desist letter. You just did it to be whimsical days after the artist found out you stole it from him. Well, you wanted to be known by "the greats who have retired leaving this industry in the hands of people like Gail". You got your wish: Joe Sinnott knows your name!

Does anybody want to start the pool on when Nothing's Tingling... Or Entertaining gets unblocked and he goes back to toilet pictures and flipping the bird?? I've got $5.00 for sometime in the next seven days.

And Rick, if you're reading this and deciding until after my spot runs out before you open it up again just to cost me money, then I have a $1,000.00 bet that I will give to St. Jude's IN YOUR NAME if you NEVER OPEN OR UPDATE ANY OF YOUR BLOGS AGAIN!

HamsterRage
01-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Matt, that was actually kinda supposed to be an apology to Brian....at least I was hoping he would take it that way.

Water under the bridge... dude, and likewise.

I actually re-read our back and forth and I think I spotted what you objected to that I didn't properly convey earlier. "No one cares about you, dude" in response to Angie was not about him, it was within the context of the thread. This thread isn't about any individual vs. Olney but rather about stopping people from being conned by Olney.

But I get where I didn't convey that properly and I'm sorry for my reaction.

HamsterRage
01-16-2012, 04:33 PM
I would be very happy if Olney never blogged again.

My guess is that another C&D arrived or someone from Lucasfilm legal got in touch with him. He doesn't seem to understand how deep he's in this time.

AIPman1
01-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Angie: The points I am following here are: NO ONE should talk about cancer AT ALL unless it is new evidence of a scam. NO ONE should talk about olney's family unless it is specifically about Barbara's involvement with Tightlip and adding her to lawsuits. Period.

Your post crossed both of those lines...and that is all I am saying. What is done about it is up to Gail, etc. I just think you should REALLY REALLY try to STAY on the right track.

If my saying that gets ME in trouble with anyone, I'll just shut up. I have only one purpose here and that's to see Rick Olney stop scamming and abusing people.

scs
01-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Angie: The points I am following here are: NO ONE should talk about cancer AT ALL unless it is new evidence of a scam. NO ONE should talk about olney's family unless it is specifically about Barbara's involvement with Tightlip and adding her to lawsuits. Period.

Your post crossed both of those lines...and that is all I am saying. What is done about it is up to Gail, etc. I just think you should REALLY REALLY try to STAY on the right track.For the record, I'm with AIPman1, and not just about Angie. There are entirely too many folks going over the line. It detracts from rather than promotes the message.

AIPman1
01-16-2012, 04:46 PM
But I get where I didn't convey that properly and I'm sorry for my reaction.

Cool, I over-reacted as well...but I do tend to have a "everyone's opinion matters" core, and defend those I see as not being given their due voice. Decades running a community for newbie creators that.

Anyway, hey - we're going to be doing a re-launch of the Self Publisher! Magazine website in Feb...would love to bury the hatchet by getting your book in for review...write me at Ian@dimestoreproductions.com and we'll set that up.

Don Krick
01-16-2012, 05:26 PM
For the record, I'm with AIPman1, and not just about Angie. There are entirely too many folks going over the line. It detracts from rather than promotes the message.
I suppose I am one of those who went over the line? Maybe I am. I wasn't posting to this thread at all until the slimeball involved me by mentioning my deceased significant other. And, knowing that the only way to get through to him was to post here, I did. His insults were despicable. I responded in kind because it is all that he understands. I, and people that I care dearly about, have been the targets of his rants for far too long. And his most recent attacks reached new lows and demanded action. I acted, and I won't apologize for that. Did you even read what he wrote in reference to me?

Back when Olney was ranting about his NDA's everyone complained about it but could do nothing. I sent Tom Stillwell proof that Olney had violated his own NDA's and pulled the teeth from that tiger. I also sent him the address of the only property that Olney owned. I say this only to point out that I am not just ranting about the moron. I did something proactive. If I want to take the opportunity to answer his attacks upon myself and those that I love, I do not need your permission. Nor do I ask it.

Olney does not see this thread as a method of preventing him from scamming people. He sees it as a place that he can point to and say " See! I am a victim of these bad people." But NO ONE believes that. He has been exposed for what he is. The taunts and barb throwing ( no pun intended) are what caused him to take down those vicious things that he said about me and others. He knew that he had crossed the line. I have known this guy for over 20 years. I know how he thinks. And that fact alone makes me sad.

AIPman1
01-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Don - there is a big difference between setting the record straight, and the "do not talk about Olney's Kids" referendum. I haven't seen you post anything that was overtly out of the bounds of making sure people know what Rick says about you, nether matters to you, nor is going to get you to jump the line of being a decent human being. I think someone would have pointed out to you by now, hey, we don't do that here, if you had done something wrong....

Artful Angie
01-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Your post crossed both of those lines...and that is all I am saying. What is done about it is up to Gail, etc. I just think you should REALLY REALLY try to STAY on the right track.

If my saying that gets ME in trouble with anyone, I'll just shut up. I have only one purpose here and that's to see Rick Olney stop scamming and abusing people.

Ian, where did I talk about his family in that post? I didn't mention his family. I made an indictment on very specific things Rick has posted about recently: The Mohawk Valley and how he's just a straight up guy. He stated days ago how he could have 200 people "swear legally" that he was such a good person. Me asking him why these people haven't come in here and just put us in our place wasn't talking about his family.

Me saying that his blog only has two real readers, his family, was also a joke. And I might add, something I believe even Gail took a shot at Rick about here, recently.

I didn't say anything about whether or not he has cancer. He himself talked about his cancer the other day. He also made a comment when "talking" to Don about his "local persecution". He can slam Central NY all he wants, but when tough times happen for someone of unquestionable character in this area, people come together. If he infers something about that, that's on him and the nature of his character.

Having said that, I agree it's time to move on to his current activities: He swiped from Joe Sinnott and got caught. Does anyone know who drew the artwork he currently swiped to use for his crAPA issue cover now?

Sorry to have made sure some people contacted Mark Sinnott on you, Rick. I know you were looking forward to making it look like you were important to Joe Sinnott by swiping his artwork and using it. After all, you made such a big deal about it being the cover, with a big announcement and everything.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Tomorrow News

Just a quick note to let out the news that I'll share the January 2012 ORCOMX-APA cover here tomorrow.

Posted by Rick Olney at 3:32 PM 0 comments

Looking forward to making sure you have permission to use that copyrighted image from the artist or publisher.

Artful Angie
01-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Found it. The Cover for Domination Factor: Avengers #3, cover by Jerry Ordway.

I'll email Roy Thomas tomorrow to have him let Jerry Know his artwork is being used without permission to sell a magazine. I went to Jerry's website, but there wasn't a contact link.

Funny thing, Rick. It DID have this to say:

Artwork © Jerry Ordway unless otherwise noted. Characters copyright their respective owners!

AIPman1
01-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Ian, where did I talk about his family in that post? ---- Me saying that his blog only has two real readers, his family, was also a joke.

You brought up cancer, you brought up his family's names. you can RATIONALIZE how you did it till you are blue in the face, you still did it. And, I dont really want to DISCUSS your doing it with you, I just felt the need to point out that you did. You should, simply stop doing those 2 things, and the rest of what you say is usually pretty well interesting and I enjoy your perspective. So...I'm done with trying to show you what you did. If you don't get it, and keep doing it, what happens from there is none of my business. I was just trying to point out where you were crossing the line, no matter how softly it was crossed. This is a mirror. Look into it. Get your center of purpose, and try to remember NO CANCER TALK, NO BRINGING UP HIS FAMILY. there should really be no need for further discussion and trust me, I wont point it out to you again.

Artful Angie
01-16-2012, 06:21 PM
I don't have to ratialize it, Ian, because I didn't say a thing about his family. And I DON'T want to DISCUSS your being WRONG about that further, also. So we agree to agree on that part.

Reread the original post you are talking about and quote me where I SPECIFICALLY DISCUSS HIS FAMILY. Because maybe I'm not seeing that part.

Otherwise, Ian, I respect you and your feelings, but stop trying to cause problems in the thread and stop trying to tell me what I did and didn't do.

Don Krick
01-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Yeah I agree. There is enough ammo to talk about the slug without involving his family. I know all of them. And the times that one or another of them have defended him...would you expect less from your family? And I have lost several people close to me to cancer. We should leave that alone as well.

leftwingnutcase
01-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Retracted. Was thinking of someone else.

AIPman1
01-16-2012, 06:33 PM
you brought up their names...there was no reason to. period.

leftwingnutcase
01-16-2012, 06:40 PM
oh, for the sake of this green earth, will you all please cut this shit out, right now!?!?

Artful Angie
01-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Are you talking about the comment where I as Rick, stated that the only people who read my blog or magazine are my family? Because if you are, you REALLY went out of your way to make much ado about nothing with that one, Ian. Anyone could plainly see that was parody, and you chose to run with that? I'm sorry, but if you took that seriously then I vastly underestimated you. I've read posts you've placed here and I'm surprised someone as intelligent as you took that for anything other than the parody of Rick it was written as. Did you really not see that?

And for the record, before that prior comment gets taken any other way, I consider you a very smart man, Ian. Much smarter than me. And I'm a smartass who goes for the quick jab with his jokes and parody.

Gail Simone
01-16-2012, 06:49 PM
The next time the cancer thing is brought up, that person will be asked to leave.

I've been too goddamned patient about it. I have expressed in detail repeatedly why I don't feel it is a fit topic for discussion, let alone mockery. I'm not going through that again.

So if it comes up again, consider that your invitation to get the hell out.

For the record. I DON'T give a CRAP if he brought it up.

Follow these three rules:

1) No one cares about his family problems. Leave them out of your discussions. I don't care what the reasoning is. I don't CARE.

2) From right now, cancer is a taboo topic on this thread. Period.

3) If Rick does his usual threats, repeat them and move on. I do NOT want to hear any more responses to his threats of physical
fights. We know he couldn't fight his way upstairs, and no fight is ever happening. You do NOT need to respond in kind.

This thread does not have to exist on this board. If you have to engage in this crap, take it elsewhere.

Starting right NOW. I don't want to hear why it was okay THIS time, I don't want any more discussion of those topics at all.
If that means people leave or the thread dies, then that's what it means.

MyNameIsNotLarry
01-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Thank you Gail for clearly spelling out the rules and how you wish people to proceed.

Artful Angie
01-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Having placed back on the rails, let's proceed.

If someone has a more direct way to contact Jerry Ordway, would they please do so. I'll send an email to Roy tomorrow afternoon asking him to forward it to Jerry. I would also suggest an email to Marvel. I'll email Jim McCann tomorrow to catch up and mention it to him.

Because correct me if I'm wrong Gail because you deal with it more directly, being in the industry, than I do:

Rick is placing this image on an amateur magazine for which he either sells individually or has people pay dues for him to send them a copy. Therefore, he is receiving "monies" either directly or indirectly from this image.

Jerry has already placed his disclaimer on his website:
Artwork © Jerry Ordway unless otherwise noted. Characters copyright their respective owners!

This makes this image property of either Marvel or Jerry, which means if Rick wants to put it on his cover he needs permission.

Am I oversimplifying it or mistaken about how the process works?

leftwingnutcase
01-16-2012, 07:20 PM
monies...hehe

Artful Angie
01-16-2012, 09:38 PM
I threw that in just for you, LeftWing. :-)

Gail, I want to cross thread an idea to you. Over in ""Yay" Green Arrow TV show written by Kreisberg", we were talking about the proposed Supermax film project, with Green Arrow imprisoned with a league of super-villains in an inescapable penitentiary.

The movie never made it out of pre-production, but as a write do you think the premise has any legs for an "Elseworlds" story?

They rarely did "Elseworlds" on some of the "lesser" characters, mostly focusing on the Big Three. But is the is the current landscape of the industry someplace where some of those stories might thrive?

KJ!
01-16-2012, 10:27 PM
The next time the cancer thing is brought up, that person will be asked to leave.

I've been too goddamned patient about it. I have expressed in detail repeatedly why I don't feel it is a fit topic for discussion, let alone mockery. I'm not going through that again.

So if it comes up again, consider that your invitation to get the hell out.

For the record. I DON'T give a CRAP if he brought it up.

Follow these three rules:

1) No one cares about his family problems. Leave them out of your discussions. I don't care what the reasoning is. I don't CARE.

2) From right now, cancer is a taboo topic on this thread. Period.

3) If Rick does his usual threats, repeat them and move on. I do NOT want to hear any more responses to his threats of physical
fights. We know he couldn't fight his way upstairs, and no fight is ever happening. You do NOT need to respond in kind.

This thread does not have to exist on this board. If you have to engage in this crap, take it elsewhere.

Starting right NOW. I don't want to hear why it was okay THIS time, I don't want any more discussion of those topics at all.
If that means people leave or the thread dies, then that's what it means.

First of all, PLEASE understand I'm being genuine here, and am kinda worried, but want to clarify now to save me potentially screwing up later.

If quoting correspondence FROM Olney (ie copies of emails he has sent) or passing on a message on behalf of a non-board member involved in an Olney situation (ie Matt Busch)- IF the cancer thing is mentioned as part of Olney's actual email OR the statement from the other party, are we to include it unedited, or censor it out and simply asterisk and insert a brief ''Mention of forbidden topic'' type message?

This is a genuine question, and I would like to know now, and do the right thing, than accidentally do the wrong thing later.

I'm sorry for having to ask, but wanted to check.

MacQuarrie
01-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Rick is placing this image on an amateur magazine for which he either sells individually or has people pay dues for him to send them a copy. Therefore, he is receiving "monies" either directly or indirectly from this image.

Jerry has already placed his disclaimer on his website:

This makes this image property of either Marvel or Jerry, which means if Rick wants to put it on his cover he needs permission.

Am I oversimplifying it or mistaken about how the process works?
Whether Olney is receiving money for it is almost irrelevant; the big publishers turn a blind eye to it most of the time when their property is "appropriated" for the fan press, but US Copyright law contains no "fair use" exclusion for non-profit or non-commercial use. Most fan publications fall under the journalism, educational and commentary exclusions.

That said, Fair Use is not carte blanc; there are limits to how much one can "borrow;" reproducing an entire work is not fair use.

In this case, since Ordway did the drawing for hire, the copyright on it belongs to Marvel, who also holds the trademarks for all characters shown. Marvel has in the past been very aggressively litigious about fan sites and publications misusing their property. They got a lot of blowback for it and have backed off on most of it. I suspect they would have something to say about this if they knew about it.

MacQuarrie
01-16-2012, 10:34 PM
First of all, PLEASE understand I'm being genuine here, and am kinda worried, but want to clarify now to save me potentially screwing up later.

If quoting correspondence FROM Olney (ie copies of emails he has sent) or passing on a message on behalf of a non-board member involved in an Olney situation (ie Matt Busch)- IF the cancer thing is mentioned as part of Olney's actual email OR the statement from the other party, are we to include it unedited, or censor it out and simply asterisk and insert a brief ''Mention of forbidden topic'' type message?

This is a genuine question, and I would like to know now, and do the right thing, than accidentally do the wrong thing later.

I'm sorry for having to ask, but wanted to check.

I think quoting him in context is fine, especially if it's an example of him playing the pity card to induce people to work with him. The key thing is to let it stand on its own; we don't need to comment on it.

KJ!
01-16-2012, 10:43 PM
I think quoting him in context is fine, especially if it's an example of him playing the pity card to induce people to work with him. The key thing is to let it stand on its own; we don't need to comment on it.

That's what I thought, but just wanted to check. :)

Artful Angie
01-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Whether Olney is receiving money for it is almost irrelevant; the big publishers turn a blind eye to it most of the time when their property is "appropriated" for the fan press, but US Copyright law contains no "fair use" exclusion for non-profit or non-commercial use. Most fan publications fall under the journalism, educational and commentary exclusions.

That said, Fair Use is not carte blanc; there are limits to how much one can "borrow;" reproducing an entire work is not fair use.

In this case, since Ordway did the drawing for hire, the copyright on it belongs to Marvel, who also holds the trademarks for all characters shown. Marvel has in the past been very aggressively litigious about fan sites and publications misusing their property. They got a lot of blowback for it and have backed off on most of it. I suspect they would have something to say about this if they knew about it.

In your opinion do you think it's worth it then to mention to Jim McCann in my email? I haven't talked to him since around October, and was planning to Facebook message him anyway.

SarahBeach
01-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Shall I do a Happy Snoopy Dance?

I had asked Rick to remove the picture from the GLAWS panel, because he did not have the permission of the copyright holder. There were two emails on that, which I'd bcc'd to Tom Stillwell and Jim MacQuarrie just so there'd be back up on the communication. When he refused, I filed an abuse report with Google, on behalf of the copyright holder, with their contact info and the URL of the original photo in its legitimate posting.

He then followed that up by another post where he reposted the picture of me from the LA Times Festival of Books, which again was taken by another friend of mine, and from whom he did not have permission to use. Since this was the second time he'd resposted it (he actually did take it down the first time -- just before Google checked the site), I didn't bother emailing him yet again. I just went ahead and filed a second abuse report in a week, with the contact information for that copyright holder.

So.... it's entirely possible that the take-down of the "Something's Tingling" blog is the result of those abuse reports. I don't know it as a fact, but I suspect that is the cause.

I wonder if Rick will learn anything from all that? Anyone want to take any bets on that?

Artful Angie
01-17-2012, 03:43 AM
I'm inclined to think that the takedown of Barely Tingling was involuntary because the last time he did his meltdown he blocked all his sites except for crAPA and his political rant site.

As for Rick learning anything from it.. He hasn't learned anything for decades, why start now?

I'll be sending Jim McCann and Roy Thomas an email after work today. I just wonder why Rick picked a cover so old and relatively obscure as Domination Factor: Avengers #3 to swipe? Was it random or was there a method to his idiocy?

Gail Simone
01-17-2012, 03:55 AM
Quoting from stuff Rick posts or emails is fine. Just use good judgment on responding.

And I happened upon this Olney Classic moment today, thought I'd repost because it's
hilarious.

From the blog of the great Colleen Doran, who is one of the all time wonders in this industry.

For some bizarre reason, I got the weirdest mail from Olney (whom I do not personally know) about my Very Bad Publishers posts. Olney convinced himself the posts were about him and his family. Here is the entire text of the letter which came in some time ago:

Colleen,
You made a remark about my father being a ‘bad’ businessman. My father was NEVER a bad businessman. He actually had a great business and had much more than you could ever realize or be willing to give him credit for. It was not until after his brain bleed and subsequent operation saving his life back in 1995 that his life began a slow decline. Your idiotic comments about my family are something you should be proud of. I’m going to tell you once, knock it off. Talk about your worldly theories about me all you like but leave my parents out of your crap slinging. I realize that you can’t help yourself It must be tough living a life of estrogen driven, dysfunctional personality psychosis, with overtones of jealousy and insecurity.

R

I have never worked with Olney, never known anyone in his family, and have not made comments about his family business, about which I know nothing. The Very Bad Publisher posts are clearly about my time at a company called Starblaze. I have no Earthly idea why this ridiculous Olney person would assume any of this material was directed at him, but then, this is not the first time some random nutter assumed I was speaking to them through the internet.

And me – jealous of Olney? Dude, what is he sniffing?

Olney followed up his bizarre email with another, alluding to the death of my cat last summer. Presumably, my talking dirt about his bad businessman father (which I did not do) resulted in the karmic backlash of the death of a 16-year-old cat.

I think my cat died of old age. He was 16 after all. And, of course, I said absolutely nothing about Olney’s father, his business, or anything else about the guy. I’ve never worked with him, Olney, or had any direct contact with anyone in his family whatsoever.

And what kind of karmic hoodoo kills an innocent animal over a blog post? Man, that’s messed up.

Gail Simone
01-17-2012, 04:21 AM
I've never for the life of me understood where he got this 'jealous' thing. Who in God's name could be jealous of Rick Olney, of all people?

He's the loneliest, saddest excuse for a failure I know. What aspect would anyone want to emulate? All the failures, the shitty reputation, the dishonesty,
the former friends who all hate his guts, the lack of talent...what? What could he POSSIBLY think Colleen Doran, a gorgeous, incredibly talented and successful
woman, would be jealous of in his case?

Freaky.

KJ!
01-17-2012, 04:39 AM
Quoting from stuff Rick posts or emails is fine. Just use good judgment on responding.

Cheers for the clarification.

And again, I always marvel at Olney's spite towards females.

There's always at least one insult per rant that's intended to be derogatory to the female recipient, merely for.........being female. Notice the 'estrogen' part in the Colleen email. He just cannot help but always insinuate that female inferiority is a part of everythings that's said about him that's not flattering (or not said to him at all, in this case). IIRC this exchange was from 2009ish, yet it's always a common feature in his emails to females.

And yeesh, he has no idea what karma actually is, or how it works.

Like most things in life.

MacQuarrie
01-17-2012, 06:01 AM
In your opinion do you think it's worth it then to mention to Jim McCann in my email? I haven't talked to him since around October, and was planning to Facebook message him anyway.
Are you good friends with him? This doesn't really affect him, but he could make it an issue at Marvel, moreso than most of us can. That is, if he doesn't just dismiss you as a crank. Which is highly likely if he doesn't know you.

Gail Simone
01-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Rick's been begging for new members to read the thing (which is, to be honest, really sub-junior high level in every regard...it might be the worst fanzine-style thing I've ever seen) for years, and membership is down to a teeny handful. It's something maybe six people will see and no one really cares about. It is, to be brief, a steaming pile of bad writing and bad art and Rick's usual blowhard nonsense.

For Marvel to care, someone would eventually have to SEE it, wouldn't they? And since no one ever, ever has...

HamsterRage
01-17-2012, 07:48 AM
it's always interesting to see where he goes when he starts insulting people. He immediately runs to all of his insecurities and reveals what a loathsome human being he is. Especially in the stuff he wrote about Don.

He doesn't seem to understand that he displays how he sees his own relationship in that and how insecure and petty he is.

It's also really creepy that apparently he went through everyone's MySpace years ago and downloaded photos of all of us. He continues to post pictures of us from years ago. It's fucking strange... and it shows how grotesque he is.

Gaelforce
01-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Funny thing is, I belonged to an APA years ago and it was a lot of fun, but hardly something I'd hold up to anyone as an accomplishment. You write/draw/paint whatever fits the theme (in my case, it was a Champions APA, so it was fiction, art, game rules discussion, character write-ups and storylines to run in games), you mail an appropriate number of copies to the Central Mailer (CM) along with a check to cover shipping costs, the CM staples it together and mails it out to everyone involved. This was, btw, pre-internet and now we do all this sort of thing through stuff like Yahoo Groups.

I'm at a loss to understand why this APA is (supposedly) such a big deal. There were no professionals involved, no one edits anything, all the CM does is staple and mail.

Gail Simone
01-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Gaelforce, seriously, I think an APA could be very neat. But even this dumbass thing is just ruined by Rick's massive and unearned ego. Dennis is incredibly dull, but Rick is just this huge bowl of quivering need for validation, begging for attention on every page.

Some of the other writers are perfectly acceptable fan writers, nothing to be ashamed of at all. Bur Rick's stuff is HORRID. I'm looking at one right now and it's just the dumbest thing imaginable.

Artful Angie
01-17-2012, 08:46 AM
I've known Jim for about 5 years, ever since he and Margarita Vaisman helped me set up a special project with Marvel. The only reason I would mention it to him is to have him see if Marvel would consider it an issue. If it came from me, it wouldn't be considered a crank, but whether it's worth it to even mention it unless Marvel would actually do something to someone as SMALL, INSIGNIFICANT and IMPOTENT as Rick. Yes, Rick that was just for YOU!

Gail, would you consider sharing a sample of Rick's writing? I want to see if I remember which one it is.

Glenn Barbis Jr.
01-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Since Rick's "Something's Tingling" blog seems to be down, I thought I would sign up and use "Something Is Tingling" as a way to warn people of Rick, just in case someone may have heard about his previous rant-page, and gets a bit mixed up in trying to find it. I provided the "To Comic Pro's" letter, as well as links to all the previous and current threads from CBR & here.

I'm not planning on using it for anything other than warnings of Rick. There will be no commentary about him by me. Only warnings and reposts of his rants/scams.

Again, just in case someone mixes up the blog names, they may find mine and get info on Rick's misdeeds.

Here is the link... http://somethingistingling.blogspot.com/2012/01/just-thinking.html

MyNameIsNotLarry
01-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Here is the link... http://somethingistingling.blogspot.com/2012/01/just-thinking.html
Thank you for the link Glenn. I will add it to the collection of sites that are in some way keeping track of Rick's misdeeds. For those who may not have them all.

http://iblogalot.com (http://iblogalot.com/) - or this link is direct to the various entries. http://iblogalot.com/?s=rick+olney

http://rickolney.blogspot.com/

http://rickolney.tumblr.com/

http://rickolney.typepad.com/blog/

http://isitfactorisitfiction.blogspot.com/

http://torrentialspirit.blogspot.com/

There are also 3 Twitter feeds.

https://twitter.com/#!/RickOlney

https://twitter.com/#!/RecklessRicOlie

https://twitter.com/#!/OlneyTheLonely

I've not included them but of course we all know there are places liked Bleedingcool.com, Tony Isabella's blog and other places that update on Rick's dealings too but are not focused on this topic.

Matt Doc Martin
01-17-2012, 10:22 AM
it's always interesting to see where he goes when he starts insulting people. He immediately runs to all of his insecurities and reveals what a loathsome human being he is. Especially in the stuff he wrote about Don.

He doesn't seem to understand that he displays how he sees his own relationship in that and how insecure and petty he is.

It's also really creepy that apparently he went through everyone's MySpace years ago and downloaded photos of all of us. He continues to post pictures of us from years ago. It's fucking strange... and it shows how grotesque he is.

I was wondering where he got the ancient picture of me from...Hell, I have posted more recent here!

EDIT: Look at my bloody avatar here!!!

leftwingnutcase
01-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Since Rick's "Something's Tingling" blog seems to be down, I thought I would sign up and use "Something Is Tingling" as a way to warn people of Rick, just in case someone may have heard about his previous rant-page, and gets a bit mixed up in trying to find it. I provided the "To Comic Pro's" letter, as well as links to all the previous and current threads from CBR & here.

I'm not planning on using it for anything other than warnings of Rick. There will be no commentary about him by me. Only warnings and reposts of his rants/scams.

Again, just in case someone mixes up the blog names, they may find mine and get info on Rick's misdeeds.

Glenn,

JR LaMar has since updated the "To Comic Pro's" letter to include all his scams through late last year. Also, please provide links to his Rick Olney vs. --- ---- notes, including the latest one on Matt Busch.

HamsterRage
01-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Thank you for the link Glenn. I will add it to the collection of sites that are in some way keeping track of Rick's misdeeds. For those who may not have them all.

http://iblogalot.com (http://iblogalot.com/) - or this link is direct to the various entries. http://iblogalot.com/?s=rick+olney

http://rickolney.blogspot.com/

http://rickolney.tumblr.com/

http://rickolney.typepad.com/blog/

http://torrentialspirit.blogspot.com/

There are also 3 Twitter feeds.

https://twitter.com/#!/RickOlney

https://twitter.com/#!/RecklessRicOlie

https://twitter.com/#!/OlneyTheLonely

I've not included them but of course we all know there are places liked Bleedingcool.com, Tony Isabella's blog and other places that update on Rick's dealings too but are not focused on this topic.
and this one too... http://cribbins3.blogspot.com/

Wasn't there also two Journalfen links?

MyNameIsNotLarry
01-17-2012, 12:11 PM
and this one too... http://cribbins3.blogspot.com/

Wasn't there also two Journalfen links?
Yes there is. I include them in the group of places that have discussed Rick but don't focus on him. Their two threads, especially the second one are basically just links here and discussing Rick from what they gather from that.

They are here for the record: http://www.journalfen.net/community/fandom_wank/tag/person:+rick+olney

HamsterRage
01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Yes there is. I include them in the group of places that have discussed Rick but don't focus on him. Their two threads, especially the second one are basically just links here and discussing Rick from what they gather from that.

They are here for the record: http://www.journalfen.net/community/fandom_wank/tag/person:+rick+olney

I just re-read the Doctor's blogger, is this part new?

Well, Barry... I have had you investigated and you're a troll. Far as your cast accusations and online blithering have at it. You're discovered and if you ever were FOR REAL you're the most stupidest Doctor I've ever interacted with in my life. So just simply let you know that when it falls on you...its gonna hurt. In closing, all your forthcoming needs for attention get forwarded directly to those individuals that can help you with your psychological problems. They shall then be marked as spam by me unread and UN-responded to. Have a nice day, you stupid fucker. Heh, heh...

Rick,
Quite frankly, I couldn't care less about your opinion of me. I doubt you can investigate your way out of a paper bag.
I would urge you to stay away from further attempts at defrauding Veteran's charities or face serious charges. As for being the stupidest doctor you know, I'm not so stupid as I've forwarded our communications to the veteran's groups and to the website you claimed had trolls. You have serious problem with the truth and with honor. You lied to me repeatedly in our communications when I was legitimately going to purchase from you. You've used your status as a USMC vet in an extremely shameful manner. I've seen you also call yourself a Christian and yet you behave in such a grotesque manner.
Don't worry about the check. Luckily my receptionist saw that it was never sent as your lies continued to not make any kind of sense. I tried to have some kind of faith in you Rick and you betrayed me.
I hope you're able to make the right decisions before you go to prison.
Dr. Barry Cribbins III

Sure Barry. Run along now and go stroke someone else. You deluded sick puke. Forward all you want. You're an internet troll and a fraud in that right yourself.

Rick,
I never have deceived you. You on the other hand attempted to defraud a fellow veteran. You've lied to me and others and you've stolen property. You should be very ashamed. The USMC should be ashamed to have had you as part of their ranks. You dishonor them and you dishonor Christianity.
I sincerely hope you'll return the maps to the proper owners before you serve jail time. Old men like yourself don't do well in prison.
This is the last you'll hear from me.
Dr. Barry Cribbins III

Listen,
Your mind crap doesn't work on me and any veteran that knows about serving their knows a load of crappola when dished out. I have also heard from many veterans groups interested in working with me, so go take a flying fuck off a rolling doughnut with your horseshit, "Barry"...
Last time I'll hear from you. I highly doubt that. You're a faker and a fraud. You feed on all this phoney negativity you try to fertilize. And you, speaking of such things as jail...you're just a loose nut on the Internet. Best you know WHEN to stop before a State policeman comes knocking on your door for claiming to be a doctor falsely. Now toddle off with your horseshit, loser.

Rick,
Here's the one promise I'll break: I'm responding to you.
You will never hear from another veteran's group again. I guarantee that. That promise I won't break.
State police huh? Which state? Who's your attorney?
You're over Olney.
Dr. Barry Cribbins III

Yeah, riiiight...

You never meant to keep it in the first place, Mr. Perfect. Hahahah!! You assholes kill me faster than the cancer. lol

Listen, you're not smart enough to have done your homework on me. I have connections across NYS and on the federal level with a varaiety of groups and organizations. I can drop a ton of misery on you any freakin' time I want to. Beyond that, you can continue your little self amusing game, troll boy.
Yeah, State police. YOUR state. Wanna bet? Hahahah! Are you gonna be so surprised when this law fiorm I'm working with grabs you up by the short hairs and legally smacks your ass. You won't be able to live that life you're livin' ... and in comics,you'll be busted. Now, run along and go play in traffic, Mr. Make Believe.

Rick,
I don't believe you have a lawyer, let alone a law firm, but please provide me with their info. I'd love to talk to them and advise them against having you as a client.
I know you wish I was fictional, but I'm not. Unlike you I also don't make empty threats.
I've spoken to Armed Services YMCA of the USA, Marines Helping Marines,Fisher House Foundation, Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund just today to warn them against your fraud against fellow veterans.
Please feel free to have your "attorney" contact me at anytime.

No, as I'm sure you can imagine. My attorney or rather one of their law clerks will contact each of those groups formally and assess if you did contact them asking politely for all correspondence concerning the matter; this while pointing to you as what you really are, I suspect. Thanks for the info.

My attorney actually practices out of San Francisco. The firm specializes in these sorts of (soon to be) high profile online harassment cases. Pass that along to your friends. It'll give them all shits and giggles,I'm sure. Not that far from you, actually, right?
Oh... and I see you're still encapsulated. Yeah, you can quit... sure you can.

The image change didn't go unnoticed. Google is being contacted this coming week to get your exact address.

I look forward to speaking with your attorney. What's his name Rick? I'm sure he'll have his hands full dealing with Lucasfilm and your convictions for theft and mail fraud.
I don't live anywhere near San Francisco. I live on the East Coast.
Dr. Barry Cribbins III

Yeah, Connecticut, wasn't it? And no, you won't speak to my attorney. YOUR attorney will be speaking to my attorney, when you're charged..and in the court system yourself. I'm not playing mind games. This is for real. I warned you and your pals over a fairly long period of time. You didn't take me at what I said. It is now personal with me. You made it that way. We'll now see how has the deeper pockets.
Now please, go suit up with your young friends and play paintball games.

I'm sorry to say I don't know what you're referring to. I guess you weren't able to trace the e-mails like you said you could Rick. This isn't surprising. Your threats don't scare or intimidate me in the least. I've never talked to someone as full of lies and empty threats as you are.
But I'd like to know what you think you'll be charging me with Rick?
I attempted to purchase from you and you tried attempted mail fraud on me.
Dr. Barry Cribbins III

Yeah, riiight... tell it to the judge. You've made your accusations privately and publicly. And, unfortunately, you didn't actually carry through with your purchase. No, instead you rushed to make your public disclosure as if you had mailed a check and THAT in itself is/was your mistake. For a Doctor... you're not to fuckin' bright there, troll boy.

Rick,
The problem is you. Not anyone else.
Dr. Barry Cribbins III
Sent from my iPhone 4!

Rick,
Dr. Barry Cribbins III
Sent from my iPhone 4!

Rick,
Dr. Barry Cribbins III
Sent from my iPhone 4!

Whatsa matter, Doc? You getting trembling in your fingers now. I got that last email three times. But to reply to it -- The problem isn't me. The problem is you. You contacted ME. You pitched your phoney attempt to defraud merely to have something to brag around that you were cheated some way. That's bullshit. You're simply involved in this to smear me and the police will take their reports from my attorney. Think I'm foolin' sit back and wait. You'll be surprised. Again, for being doctor using your IPhone 4 ... you're pretty fuckin' stupid.

You know, come to think of it... you talk like a man with a paper asshole.

Rick,
You probably needed to hear it at least three times.
I'm done speaking with you. You're a paranoid, delusional and rather pathetic man. I'm very sorry to read that you have cancer (if that's true). I hoped I might be able to talk a fellow vet (even one who was attempting to con me) out of a downward spiral... but you seem determined to ruin your life.
I'm done with any further communication with you. I look forward to talking to whatever legal representation you can muster.

And you seem to think I give a shit what you think, which I do not. Again, I have broken no laws, and you're harassing me and just looking for crap to spread amongst your friends. Trolls feeding each other shit to give each other toothy grins. Gail must be soooo proud of you, suck-up.

Where the maps are concerned -- You'll be evaluated by your words and that is something entirely different from anything else you think will stand up when the nice officer comes knocking on your apartment door to arrest you.
So please, FOR YOUR OWN SAKE, don't contact me again. I'm really not doing anything but giving those that will evaluate these emails how much fun you must be having in bothering a terminal cancer patient with your phoney bullshit. Say hi to the other trolls in Simone's forum.

Rick,
Still have yet to hear from your attorney. I'm looking forward to speaking with him.

MyNameIsNotLarry
01-17-2012, 02:06 PM
I just re-read the Doctor's blogger, is this part new?
It's never been posted here before as far as I can tell and was not posted in the article that showed up at Bleeding Cool. According to Google it's at least 3 weeks old but because it's part of the original entry dated in October 2011, no idea when the new stuff was added.

Matt Doc Martin
01-17-2012, 02:08 PM
I wonder if he thought Dr Cribbins was me, as I live in CT and had a number of pictures up playing paintball.

If so, he is sorely mistaken.

I wonder if Dr. Cribbins ever did hear from his "San Francisco legal team". Or did Olney just say that as a guess, like the CT one?

Kal El
01-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Does he really expect people to be threatened by his talk of legal action? Because for it to be a threat there has to be a chance of it actually happening and we all know there's no chance of that.

Matt Doc Martin
01-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Does he really expect people to be threatened by his talk of legal action? Because for it to be a threat there has to be a chance of it actually happening and we all know there's no chance of that.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pT4NksPHyco/TJFjWbILdrI/AAAAAAAAHuU/vUDOCFfjoDM/s1600/Bingo.png

leftwingnutcase
01-17-2012, 02:54 PM
I want to know why Rick is so anally and fecally fixated.

Glenn Barbis Jr.
01-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Glenn,

JR LaMar has since updated the "To Comic Pro's" letter to include all his scams through late last year. Also, please provide links to his Rick Olney vs. --- ---- notes, including the latest one on Matt Busch.

Any links would greatly be appreciated! I will post everything I can.

Artful Angie
01-17-2012, 03:09 PM
I love it when Rick tries to use unnecessary words just to make himself sound intelligent.

They shall then be marked as spam by me unread and UN-responded to.

Except his Spam filter on his computer, like the one in his brain, must have stopped working.

go take a flying fuck off a rolling doughnut

He's been saying this for years, and I still don't know exactly what it means or where it comes from. Is it supposed to make him sound intelligent?

You feed on all this phoney negativity you try to fertilize.

He uses the word "fertilize" at least twice that I counted, and references to shit at least six. Still in the poop obsession phase, Rick?

And you, speaking of such things as jail...you're just a loose nut on the Internet.

Exactly how is the first part connected with the second part of that sentence? What does one have to do with the other, Rick??

I have connections across NYS and on the federal level with a varaiety of groups and organizations. I can drop a ton of misery on you any freakin' time I want to.

Only if you slip on the ice and land on him, Rick.

And you have to love the classic "I have friends that will hurt you for me" line. Maybe they're the 200 people that will rush to his defense for all we say about him here. You know, first there's... uh... well, he's tall... except for when he's short....and his name is...um... But the other 199 people are just like him and they're gonna get us! Just you wait and see!

My attorney actually practices out of San Francisco.

With offices in Brigadoon, The Savage Land, Narnia, Gorilla City, Atlantis, and most other cities with an invisible dome. And the biggest dome of all, Rick Olney's mind.

The firm specializes in these sorts of (soon to be) high profile online harassment cases.

That's exactly not worded correctly by Rick. With their offices in San Francisco, he meant that the lawyers themselves are high to have taken a case of online harrassment with Rick as the defendant. Glad to be able to clear that up for you, Rick.

Google is being contacted this coming week to get your exact address.

Yeah, how did that empty threat work for you, Rick? Wasn't that the same one you claimed to make about me?

I'm not playing mind games.

He's not equipped.

It is now personal with me. You made it that way. We'll now see how has the deeper pockets.

Judging by the amount of collection agency calls you duck, I'd say the average train-hopping hobo.

You've made your accusations privately and publicly.

Gosh, you didn't use the fairly obvious third option???

unfortunately, you didn't actually carry through with your purchase

How dare someone actually be dishonest in a business transaction with Rick Olney.... other than Rick Olney!

Think I'm foolin' sit back and wait.

I'm sure he's just a'trembling with fear waiting all these long months, Rick.

Again, for being doctor using your IPhone 4 ... you're pretty fuckin' stupid.

First of all, did the guy ever actually say he was a medical doctor? I haven't seen the original link since it came out. But it occurred to me Rick is planning to call "YOUR State Police" to report this guy for claiming to be a doctor. Someone who's not "pretty fuckin' stupid" would know there are different types of doctorates, Rick. Suppose this guy was a Doctor Of Engineering? Nuclear Physicist? Family Therapist?

And what does his having an iPhone 4 mean, Rick? Other than the fact that he can pay his cell phone bill and you... well....

Where the maps are concerned -- You'll be evaluated by your words and that is something entirely different from anything else you think will stand up when the nice officer comes knocking on your apartment door to arrest you.
So please, FOR YOUR OWN SAKE, don't contact me again. I'm really not doing anything but giving those that will evaluate these emails how much fun you must be having in bothering a terminal cancer patient with your phoney bullshit. Say hi to the other trolls in Simone's forum.

Evaluated by your own words, Rick.

I think maybe the update is that last message by the doctor, when he says he's still waiting for Rick's law firm's intern Gryphons to fly to CT and serve him with the law suit. Gryphons are notorious for really not using GPS when they ought to. Hang in there, Doctor Cribbons. Eventually Rick will make sure you stand in court to face those slurs. You might have to pass the time waiting by defeating all the other immortals in The Gathering and be the only One. That should be about the same amount of time before Rick ever makes you see the inside of a courtroom. Good luck, Highlander!

leftwingnutcase
01-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Any links would greatly be appreciated! I will post everything I can.

The link to all of that is: http://iblogalot.com/category/rick-olney/

AIPman1
01-17-2012, 03:28 PM
I want to know why Rick is so anally and fecally fixated.

I dont!!! I really, really dont want to know that.....

Tom Stillwell
01-17-2012, 03:30 PM
The firm specializes in these sorts of (soon to be) high profile online harassment cases.

Then that firm would quickly go bankruptcy for specializing in an area of law with very little in the way of monetary compensation. Which is to say, no firm would ever specialize in such a thing.

SarahBeach
01-17-2012, 04:01 PM
I don't think I'd seen the latter part of those exchanges before, but I do remember reading the thread while it was current. (Yeah, I googled Cribbons myself and found the results ambiguous enough for me to give the exchange a pass -- could be real, could be someone baiting Rick: don't know, don't care. I didn't pursue it beyond that idle curiousity level.)

Rick pulled out two of his standard "I know more about you than you think" ploys - what with the "lawyers in San Francisco" thing and the guesses about Connecticut and paintball. I think the SF reference was his attempt to see if the good doctor was associated with LucasFilm and he was trying to suss that out. But the doctor didn't bite. Rick then switch to believing - apparently - that the doctor was Matt (who in all these years I've never known to bother with an internet mask) instead.

It's nuts. He's paranoid. And in the most bizarre ways. Way back when, when he posted on Dixonverse, our resident wiseass had been away from the board when Rick started posting. When Scott returned, they did not get on well -- and Rick promptly accused Scott of being someone else, someone who he'd had a falling out with. It took the assurances of five different people, that Scott was not Sam before he reluctantly said, "Well, okay then." And then he turned around and asked "Well then, who is FirstnamLastname?" A regular poster on the board who had always posted under his real name.

I admit it, the way his paranoia works is kind of fascinating. As long as you're not the one having to deal with him.

Glenn Barbis Jr.
01-17-2012, 04:12 PM
The link to all of that is: http://iblogalot.com/category/rick-olney/

Thanks, but that one was already listed, first actually! :^D All's good!!

Gail Simone
01-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Has anyone actually talked to this doctor guy? This seems very odd and fishy.

Artful Angie
01-17-2012, 04:33 PM
I always believed it was just someone who's dealt with Rick's garbage before. It's the way he talks to Rick in the later posts that makes me think he was no stranger to Rick's scams.

And let me go on record as saying it was not me, nor do I know who it was. My own particular brand of anonymity is enough to trigger Rick's delusions and paranoia. I don't need to do any more to make him show his ruffled feathers.

Artful Angie
01-17-2012, 04:42 PM
I took a look around online just to see if Rick tried to open any other blogs. I finally went and looked at his listing on the FANDATA member directory.

http://www.fandomdirectory.com/fdschout.cfm?last_name_wanted=O

RICK L OLNEY
City: Mohawk NY U S A
Updated: 6/08
Interests: Amateur Press Assoc., Comic Books, Occult, Pen Pals
rick.olney@gmail.com

Wha? He doesn't list himself as a writer??

Matt Doc Martin
01-17-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't think I'd seen the latter part of those exchanges before, but I do remember reading the thread while it was current. (Yeah, I googled Cribbons myself and found the results ambiguous enough for me to give the exchange a pass -- could be real, could be someone baiting Rick: don't know, don't care. I didn't pursue it beyond that idle curiousity level.)

Rick pulled out two of his standard "I know more about you than you think" ploys - what with the "lawyers in San Francisco" thing and the guesses about Connecticut and paintball. I think the SF reference was his attempt to see if the good doctor was associated with LucasFilm and he was trying to suss that out. But the doctor didn't bite. Rick then switch to believing - apparently - that the doctor was Matt (who in all these years I've never known to bother with an internet mask) instead.

It's nuts. He's paranoid. And in the most bizarre ways. Way back when, when he posted on Dixonverse, our resident wiseass had been away from the board when Rick started posting. When Scott returned, they did not get on well -- and Rick promptly accused Scott of being someone else, someone who he'd had a falling out with. It took the assurances of five different people, that Scott was not Sam before he reluctantly said, "Well, okay then." And then he turned around and asked "Well then, who is FirstnamLastname?" A regular poster on the board who had always posted under his real name.

I admit it, the way his paranoia works is kind of fascinating. As long as you're not the one having to deal with him.

Thanks. I know I am not only person to play paintball or live in CT, but yeah...I don't play with pretend names. Hell, I have gone out of my way to let Rick Olney know where I will be and how I will be dressed, for the times he SWORE he would be where I was, or that his "posse" would find me.

His paranoia is second only to his delusions of grandeur.

AIPman1
01-17-2012, 05:09 PM
I remember when the DR thing started, and Nick Chumbly "broke" the news...it basically took all credibility out of the DR being a real person. It is interesting to read that it went on longer than was posted here about though.

Olney's paranoid delusional venom he spews...it's just amazing. He THINKS he's like one of the Aliens creatures and his words are going to make people crumble just like acid saliva. But then anyone that has looked for more than 3 seconds, notices, nothing is disintegrating under his spray. Nothing. The rubber mask is cracking and falling away.

Gaelforce
01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Gaelforce, seriously, I think an APA could be very neat. But even this dumbass thing is just ruined by Rick's massive and unearned ego. Dennis is incredibly dull, but Rick is just this huge bowl of quivering need for validation, begging for attention on every page.

Some of the other writers are perfectly acceptable fan writers, nothing to be ashamed of at all. Bur Rick's stuff is HORRID. I'm looking at one right now and it's just the dumbest thing imaginable.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking APAs or APA writers and I had a great time with the one I was involved with. There were some awesome writers and artists in the Clobberin' Times, but it just boggles the mind that he seems to be equating this with publishing or something. It's a fun hobby, yes, but it's not something I would ever list anywhere as a credit in a resume.

HamsterRage
01-17-2012, 05:45 PM
I remember when the DR thing started, and Nick Chumbly "broke" the news...it basically took all credibility out of the DR being a real person. It is interesting to read that it went on longer than was posted here about though.

Olney's paranoid delusional venom he spews...it's just amazing. He THINKS he's like one of the Aliens creatures and his words are going to make people crumble just like acid saliva. But then anyone that has looked for more than 3 seconds, notices, nothing is disintegrating under his spray. Nothing. The rubber mask is cracking and falling away.

I think the Doctor thing broke on Bleeding Cool first, actually.

AIPman1
01-17-2012, 05:50 PM
I think that was a chicken and egg debate back then too. I do know a link to Chumbly's blog was posted somewhere and was the first place I saw the drs postings, before I knew Bleeding cool picked it up, so I cant say either way who had it first, only that it was timed pretty close.

Matt Doc Martin
01-17-2012, 05:56 PM
I think that was a chicken and egg debate back then too. I do know a link to Chumbly's blog was posted somewhere and was the first place I saw the drs postings, before I knew Bleeding cool picked it up, so I cant say either way who had it first, only that it was timed pretty close.

I think you were right, and it was Dr- Chumbly- Bleeding Cool (in that order)

I do wonder about the Dr. and whether he is real deal or not, but Olney is still a thief and a moron.

KJ!
01-18-2012, 02:10 AM
What the hell does he mean by 'a paper asshole'.

<<<<<Confused, and probably scared.

JTPencils
01-18-2012, 02:37 AM
No need to be scared KJ... it's just one more example of his posterior fixations.

leftwingnutcase
01-18-2012, 04:53 AM
Yes, but PAPER!? You see, not only do I agree that his paranoia and delusions are fascinating, but his "posterior fixations" are as well. I just marvel at the oddity of it all.

Artful Angie
01-18-2012, 05:55 AM
I DC at it, leftwingnutcase. Ba-da-bum!

Thank you, you're a beautiful crowd! I'm here all week, try the veal and tip your servers, please.

leftwingnutcase
01-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Thank you, you're a beautiful crowd! I'm here all week, try the veal and tip your servers, please.

Sorry Angie. Don't get it.

I do now get the "paper asshole" comment. Y'know how a paper tiger is someone who's just pretending to be ferocious? Well I think Olney means it like that.

Does anyone notice that Rick is hard to "get"?

Gail Simone
01-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Yes, but PAPER!? You see, not only do I agree that his paranoia and delusions are fascinating, but his "posterior fixations" are as well. I just marvel at the oddity of it all.

Rick's obsession with toilets and feces is one of his creepiest tropes. I swear, it's all he ever seems to think about, some days.

leftwingnutcase
01-18-2012, 07:15 AM

Oh, boo. I Image at it!

HamsterRage
01-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Rick's obsession with toilets and feces is one of his creepiest tropes. I swear, it's all he ever seems to think about, some days.

He also seems to view women as nothing more than objects, items to posess, or deal with until you get tired of them or get what you want out of them.

His response to Don spoke of his jealousy towards men who'd dated or been with multiple women while also displaying that he believes relationships can only be about people mutually using each other to meet other ends.

leftwingnutcase
01-18-2012, 08:03 AM
The Comic Book Club of Ithaca (CBCI), the Oldest Active Comic Book Club in the USA, Presents:

The 2012 Cabin Fever Comic Book Show

Date: Saturday, February 4, 2012
Time: 10:00am until 4:00pm
Street: 100 W Seneca St.
City/Town: Ithaca, NY

Comics! Action Figures & Toys! DVDs! Special Guest Artists & Writers!

Part of Ithacon -- Ithaca’s Oldest and Largest Independent Publishing Forum!

Local, regional, and even national artists, writers, and entrepreneurs gather to show off their work, sign autographs, make art, and answer your questions on how to break into the publishing business!

Admission is only $3. Bring everyone you know!

With a great guest lineup including:

-- J. G. Hertzler, an actor and writer best known for his portrayal of the Klingon officer General Martok from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He has also co-written two S/T novels, The Left Hand of Destiny: Book 1, and Book 2. He currently teaches and performs in Shakespeare at Cornell.

-- Jim Brenneman, the cartoonist responsible for “Cartoons about Politics, Cultural Absurdities, Random Nonsense and the Coming Apocalypse”

-- Jim Coon, cartoonist and small-press comics creator

-- Jime Alena Grabowski: artist, illustrator, art teacher

-- TL Collins: artist & webcomics creator

-- Ethan Young: artist & webcomics creator

-- Storn Cook: fantasy illustrator

-- Warren Greenwood: writer & storyboard artist

-- Mike Garland: artist, colorist & writer

-- Jon Haeffner: artist (& CBCI member turned pro!)

-- Aaron Kuder: artist (& another CBCI member turned pro!)

-- Mark McCracken, Andy Sullivan, Jamie Apgar: writers and artists of indie company Divine Authority Comics

-- Joe Orsak: artist & illustrator

-- Rob Piecuch: artist & musician

-- Mike Raicht: co-writer of Stuff of Legend

-- Roger Stern: veteran comic book writer; Captain America Corps, Captain America: Forever Allies

Artful Angie
01-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Oh, boo. I Image at it!

I Valiant at it!

And I am so there for the con! Mike Raicht is such a great guy. I had the opportunity to hang out with him at Cloud City Comics last Free Comic Book Day in Syracuse.

And you can't find a nicer guy in the industry than Roger Stern! I don't know what I want him to sign first!

Matt Doc Martin
01-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Fuck. that is the 1 Saturday in February I am scheduled at work. And the worst thing? I scheduled MYSELF for that day.

Artful Angie
01-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Call in sick, Doc. And we'll have a thread mini-party at the con!

Shurato2099
01-18-2012, 12:01 PM

Maybe he just needs more fiber in his diet?

Gail Simone
01-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Just the whole idea of putting up a shit-filled and overflowing toilet as the FRONT PAGE to his "Family friendly" organization, designed to "bring young readers" into the hobby...and then leaving it there all that time...

That's some messed up stuff right there.

Shurato2099
01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
And you can't find a nicer guy in the industry than Roger Stern! I don't know what I want him to sign first!

I hear good things about Roger Stern, but every time I hear that name -this- flashes across my brain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE3J27ApS_8

leftwingnutcase
01-18-2012, 12:27 PM
You can find the event on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/events/158262484277501/

Invite your friends!

MacQuarrie
01-18-2012, 12:43 PM
I can explain the paper rectum comment; it's a very old expression, which, naturally, Olney is using incorrectly.

A man with a paper asshole (AKA "a tissue paper asshole") is somebody who is overly cautious and obsessively worried about everything, an extreme version of what's often called "anal retentive;" somebody who is even afraid to poop. I believe Spider Robinson references the term in his short story "Antinomy." How that applies to the good doctor is anybody's guess. Most likely, the moron heard it somewhere, thought it was funny but had no idea what it meant, and decided to throw it around as an insult because it referenced his favorite subjects, asses and feces.

Gail Simone
01-18-2012, 01:07 PM
So, wait, this Ithicon thing, that has NO affiliation with Olney, yes? :)

leftwingnutcase
01-18-2012, 01:19 PM
So, wait, this Ithicon thing, that has NO affiliation with Olney, yes? :)

Har, har. Damn straight!

JKCarrier
01-18-2012, 02:01 PM
A man with a paper asshole (AKA "a tissue paper asshole") is somebody who is overly cautious and obsessively worried about everything, an extreme version of what's often called "anal retentive;" somebody who is even afraid to poop.

Of course, the opposite of anal-retentive is anal-explusive (http://www.alleydog.com/glossary/definition.php?term=Anal-Expulsive):

"Freud believed that a child who does not successfully take control over their sphincter at the anal stage will become fixated and may end up with a anal-expulsive personality - which includes being disorganized, messy, careless, rebellious, and sometimes cruel."

Now who does that remind us of? :twisted:

leftwingnutcase
01-18-2012, 02:08 PM
By the way, Rick has no clue who Angie is...(hehe)

Matt Doc Martin
01-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Call in sick, Doc. And we'll have a thread mini-party at the con!

I would, but I am the boss and only person on the desk that day. So bad form.

But...will see if I can switch with anyone, just in case....

(I want to see if pRick shows his face)

Gail Simone
01-18-2012, 03:02 PM
By the way, Rick has no clue who Angie is...(hehe)

I don't, either. I'm almost afraid to find out!

AIPman1
01-18-2012, 03:21 PM
not knowing is half the fun!

Artful Angie
01-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Did you figure it out just by that one thing, Alec? heh heh.

Gail Simone
01-18-2012, 03:33 PM
WERE you a member of Orca, Angie?

It's a weird thing, I did a search for Orca and Orcafresh and "Orca Fresh," and...Jesus, it's like it never existed. There are almost no posts about it, no mentions anywhere, that didn't come from Rick (or Dennis, or some other organizer).

That's a little weird, isn't it? I mean, if they had hundreds of members as they claim, and if they gave away tons of comics as they claim, how come the only extended posts about it not from an officer (and there are only TWO...seriously, TWO?) are both so negative? I mean, they are both from people saying none of the big promises were true and they both quit and were sorry they'd ever joined.

And that's it. Every other comment is from Rick (or a few from Dennis and the like).

I mean, you can find dozens of people talking about almost ANY topic, and Orca was still in effect during the early days of mass internet usage. Why has it been completely forgotten by everyone except Rick?

If I were a kid that belonged to a club I enjoyed, that sent comics and newsletters, I think I'd at least MENTION it as a grown up.

It's odd.

Gail Simone
01-18-2012, 03:35 PM
And a classic quote from Eisner winner Pia Guerra, about Rick!

"I have put up with some slime in the 15 plus years I've worked in this biz but he really takes the cake"

leftwingnutcase
01-18-2012, 03:46 PM
All I can tell you is that Rick will never, ever, ever, ever figure it out, ever, ever, ever, ever. He has no fucking clue who the hell he's messing with.

leftwingnutcase
01-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever.

Artful Angie
01-18-2012, 03:58 PM
As we all realize, Gail, Rick massively over-claims the membership roster of ORCA. There was no way ORCA had hundreds and thousands of members. Look at the very pictures Rick posted. That was a typical meeting.

His likes to boasts about the parades ORCA was involved in, but in truth it was Usually Rick and Dennis and just a few other people passing out about 100-200 total comics. And those were usually stuff he got donated by whatever comics people didn't want. I think there was one time when he got 20 or so issues of Superboy And The Ravers #1 to give out.

And then there were times when he tried to give out comics in the parades and nobody wanted them. Picture Rick trying to shove a comic into some kid's hand and the kid is like "No, thank you". And if you happened to be wearing a superhero shirt and were over 18, he made a beeline to you!

I can tell you why you don't find more mentions of ORCA online by former members: They were few and far between, and being involved in something with Rick Olney is something everybody tries to forget!

You won't find many stories online, but go into several therapists' offices maybe and you might hear what a nightmare Rick was to deal with!

HamsterRage
01-18-2012, 03:58 PM
I can agree with that. He hasn't come even come close.

Artful Angie
01-18-2012, 04:15 PM
And keep in mid, Gail. You were at the HCCC Mighty Crappy Con, where there was a price discount for ORCA members. How many did you see there? LOL

leftwingnutcase
01-18-2012, 04:25 PM
By the way, I've never hidden my identity here. I'm Alec Frazier, 25, Gay, Autistic, Unitarian Universalist - Humanist/HUUmanist, Socialist, Democrat, Junior at UB, member of the Comic Book Club of Ithaca, Lt. Cmdr. in Operations of the USS Niagara NCC-75634 and Starfleet International, panelist at UB Con and Roc-Con, Twihard, Avatard, Trekkie, Consultant for VSA, the International Organization for Disability and the Arts, Contributing Author for the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network (ASAN), Resource Officer of the UB Diversity in Disability Planning Committee (DDPC), and recipient of a standing ovation from the Honorable Ambassador Jean Kennedy Smith, JFK's only living sibling.

In 25 years, I've lived a more interesting, productive life than Rick Olney ever has.

Rick, I am giving you carte blanche to post and defile this photo of me in my $2,000 suit during my internship in DC. I know that you'll never amount to shit.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/381697_2583226614159_1059279060_2744178_828219567_ n.jpg

Artful Angie
01-18-2012, 04:48 PM
I used to joke when I was in Starfleet that I was laundry and morale officer of our ship. It's a joke based on one of my favorite movies (any guesses?). But the ship wasn't The Reluctant.

Artful Angie
01-18-2012, 04:50 PM
And Alec, there's nothing in your bio that any rational normal human being could find to mock. But then we're talking about Rick Olney, so batten down the hatches.

Don Krick
01-18-2012, 05:39 PM
He also seems to view women as nothing more than objects, items to posess, or deal with until you get tired of them or get what you want out of them.

His response to Don spoke of his jealousy towards men who'd dated or been with multiple women while also displaying that he believes relationships can only be about people mutually using each other to meet other ends.

Ok, I want to make it perfectly clear that the time frame of those relationships was over 30 years. I am not a male slut. At least not much. Anymore.

Matt Doc Martin
01-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Ok, I want to make it perfectly clear that the time frame of those relationships was over 30 years. I am not a male slut. At least not much. Anymore.

I want to be....

Gail Simone
01-18-2012, 06:29 PM
I went back to look at some early pages of the first big thread. Right away, people started coming in saying Rick cheated them. Rick starts his usual bullshit, and we all started producing email after email showing him lying about payment over and over.

And my story hasn't changed one bit since the first day I posted. While Rick's excuses change a dozen times while you watch.

Funny.

And finally...once again, can you imagine living like Rick, knowing every friend you have eventually gets sick at the mere mention of you?

Again, if he showed a human bit of real remorse, he'd be pitiable.

Gail Simone
01-18-2012, 06:37 PM

Don, it's pretty clear Rick is full of shit about how many members Orca had, like everything else he's ever talked about. Do you have any inkling what the real number was?

bert
01-18-2012, 07:21 PM
I want to be....

if you had only hung out with me more at Dragon*con :p

I could have taught you, my young Padewan

Don Krick
01-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Don, it's pretty clear Rick is full of shit about how many members Orca had, like everything else he's ever talked about. Do you have any inkling what the real number was?

Gail, I was never a member of ORCA. I just did their newsletter FRESH as a contract with Rick. I have no idea how many members they eventually had and would not hazard a guess. I will see if I can find out though.

MacQuarrie
01-18-2012, 07:46 PM
I won't be too involved here for a while; I'm being absurdly overpaid on a two-week temp job that is apparently being extended indefinitely and may turn into a permanent full-time gig. I like the work, like my co-workers, boss and office. The commute is a bit longer than I like, but there's almost no traffic; everyone else is going the other way.

And they have already given me the okay to take off Feb 15-20, when I will be Stan Sakai's assistant/lackey at an anime con in Washington DC. He's also letting me peddle my own scribblings at his table.

So once again my meager life with its modest accomplishments is far more interesting than Olney's. Legendary cartoonists value my friendship and trust me with their money (I'm treasurer for CAPS, the Comic Art Professional Society). I could name-drop a bunch of them, but that's tacky. Let's just say it's nice to be liked.

But as nice as that is, even nicer is the peace that comes from knowing there is not one person on this planet that feels about me the way the whole damn world feels about Rick Olney.

How you treat people matters.

HamsterRage
01-18-2012, 09:26 PM
I won't be too involved here for a while; I'm being absurdly overpaid on a two-week temp job that is apparently being extended indefinitely and may turn into a permanent full-time gig. I like the work, like my co-workers, boss and office. The commute is a bit longer than I like, but there's almost no traffic; everyone else is going the other way.

And they have already given me the okay to take off Feb 15-20, when I will be Stan Sakai's assistant/lackey at an anime con in Washington DC. He's also letting me peddle my own scribblings at his table.

So once again my meager life with its modest accomplishments is far more interesting than Olney's. Legendary cartoonists value my friendship and trust me with their money (I'm treasurer for CAPS, the Comic Art Professional Society). I could name-drop a bunch of them, but that's tacky. Let's just say it's nice to be liked.

But as nice as that is, even nicer is the peace that comes from knowing there is not one person on this planet that feels about me the way the whole damn world feels about Rick Olney.

Jim,

I'm so happy about the position. Huge congratulations to you sir!

HamsterRage
01-18-2012, 09:28 PM
I didn't for a second think that of you. What I think is that you dated (like all people do) and Olney is deeply jealous of that.

Gail Simone
01-18-2012, 09:42 PM
That's great news, Mac!

Gail Simone
01-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Gail, I was never a member of ORCA. I just did their newsletter FRESH as a contract with Rick. I have no idea how many members they eventually had and would not hazard a guess. I will see if I can find out though.

Can you elaborate a little, if you don't mind?

MacQuarrie
01-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Jim,

I'm so happy about the position. Huge congratulations to you sir!

That's great news, Mac!
Thanks!

It's nearly an industrial job, so not very creative. The company makes "control systems" for people, in other words, those stanchions with the straps that pull out from them, like you see at the movies, airports, museums, etc. to delineate where to line up and manage traffic flow. The belts can be printed with company logos and such, which is what I do. I also manage and babysit the big 5-foot printer. It's not art, but it's honest work, and as usual, the better they pay you, the better they treat you.

Matt Doc Martin
01-18-2012, 11:26 PM

Congratulations!!!! I am super happy for you!

Gail Simone
01-19-2012, 03:49 AM
I have to say, every time I get to visit Stan Sakai, I love him even more. What a TALENT that guy is, and what a gentleman!

I sat close to him and Sergio at the wonderful Montreal con (another con that could not be more UNLIKE the Shitty Mini Con...it was run by talented, organized,
lovely and honest people and it's grown bigger every year), and he came over and gave me a copy of all of his sketchbooks, every one, because he knows
what big fans we are of his in my house.

Lovely, lovely guys.

Deegan
01-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Macquarrie, I am sincerely happy for you, but I'm also pretty jealous you get to work with Stan Sakai.

AIPman1
01-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Anyone hoping that the demise of 'something's tingling' would end Olney's blathering for a while, he's got a post up on his Sequential Soul blog talking about how all his friends and supporters hate Gail...course that amounts to 2 quotes from people who have no clue what he's done, but that's besides the point.

Artful Angie
01-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Here is the post Ian was talking about. I was just thinking how it was quiet.... too quiet...when I saw Ian's post about the blog.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Good Morning Message, January 19, 2012

My day began in getting up and getting ready to go give blood at the cancer center today. The weather here is cold at around -5 degrees. No big deal, as I dress appropriately and in layers. But as I usually do each morning on my Facebook page, I post a good morning message.

My message usually takes on a life of its own as people respond back and I get a lot of positive support. Kindly note that many of these friends are indeed friends and not mindless zombies of the anti-Rick Olney contingent. Anyway, today was especially funny so I had to note it here.

Anyway, in responding to "Kelly" I stated:
"Good morning Kelly! The only way it could be better would be if a old farmhouse fell outta the sky with Dorothy and Toto in it, landing on Gail Simone, so that Auntie Em could ultimately have her ruby slippers."

A single post followed from my friend Kay with ... "lol"

Yes, ever so often, Gail Simone is the butt of my sense of humor. So shoot me. I responded,
"Glad that got a chuckle out of you, Kay. You're one of the few of my friends that has read the negative spin that 'witch' puts on all aspects of my life and disagrees with her. What price fame? The woman has no real character."

Well, after that next remark came from one of my staunchest supporters and friends. I literally fell out of my chair, I tell you! Here it is:
"Character? That woman is not even a real human being, or any of her fellow sickos! I just can't believe the evil that comes out of those people. Anyway I did get a chuckle out of that comment."

The above is so indicative of people not keen on comics, regarding the writing spin-madam personality. But moving forward now to the heart of my meager initial message this day:

Good morning everyone! As I start my day, I truly hope today brings you nothing but sunshine and a warm heart. Let God look in on you!

I hope you have a great day there.

Posted by Rick Olney at 8:17 AM 0 comments

Artful Angie
01-19-2012, 09:29 AM
I can't help but think this blog post of Rick's confirms something Sarah said. Rick made it a point to separate his Sequential Soul posts which were going to be all sunshine and Mr. Positive from his Something's Tingling! blog which has been nothing but meltdowns, threats, rants, and anally obsessive commentary.

Now, Tingling! is shut down and he's making comments about Gail on Soul. It makes me think Sarah was right that the blog was shut down involuntarily on Rick, rather than by Rick.

Don Krick
01-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Can you elaborate a little, if you don't mind?

I'll try. In the early 90's I had a relationship with Ronde B, ( who Rick mentioned in his rant). She and Rick's wife Barb were very close friends and worked together at a local company. I met Rick at a Christmas Party for that company, probably around 1990. A few years later, Rick approached me and asked me to develop a newsletter for a comic book club he had organized. It was an outgrowth from a smaller club he had created several years ago called The West Utica Comic Book Club. The club would be called The Organized Readers of Comics Associated (ORCA). My understanding was that the group had between 20 - 30 members at that time. I came to a deal with Rick, and created FRESH and prepared the first 4 or 5 issues. To be fair, Rick payed me the agreed upon price, although understandingly, he was late a few times. He did have some trouble getting the issues out, mostly financing issues, and they ran late for several bi-monthly periods. Eventually I had to beg off the job because I had other concerns, but we parted amicably. Brian Robson and Dennis Kinninger could probably speak more on this, but back then, in the mid-90's, my personal feeling was that Rick was genuine in his love for comics and really was trying to do something good and worthwhile.

I lost touch with Rick probably around 1996, and heard no more about ORCA. Then in 2005, I believe, I had contact with him again and invited him to my house, along with Barb and Dennis, for a cookout. I have to be honest and say that he had definitely changed. I heard the whole Ric Olie story, and he believed everything he was saying. It was a bit frightening actually. His intensity about comics issues and politics were very disturbing. At the time he had a convention coming up in less than a month, but had not ever found a location to have it yet. Clearly, he was floundering badly. This was a very different Rick Olney.

I don't know how many ORCA members there eventually were. I suspect a little over 100 including mail memberships. I have never believed the numbers that Rick has claimed both for members, and comics donated. That is shameless self-promotion. Dennis and Brian Robson would know the real numbers. I am not defending Rick in any way, shape or form. He has cheated people, and caused untold grief. He certainly has caused me personal grief and I will not forgive it. Nor forget it.

Gail Simone
01-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Jesus, Rick's idea of a zinger is as pathetic as his Mary Sue fanfic.

I write better insults in my sleep.

And no worries, Rick! Your two pretend friends will hate your guys soon enough, just like all your other former pals!

Dragonbat
01-19-2012, 09:56 AM
"...so that Auntie Em could ultimately have her ruby slippers."

:-? ...the what, now?

Outsider
01-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Screen cap:

http://i.imgur.com/ce5vhs.png (http://imgur.com/ce5vh)

Also, I found this site. I apologize if it has been noted before; it is unfamiliar to me.

ETA: Please excuse me; I see now that this link was posted just a few days ago.

Gail Simone
01-19-2012, 09:58 AM
I'll try. In the early 90's I had a relationship with Ronde B, ( who Rick mentioned in his rant). She and Rick's wife Barb were very close friends and worked together at a local company. I met Rick at a Christmas Party for that company, probably around 1990. A few years later, Rick approached me and asked me to develop a newsletter for a comic book club he had organized. It was an outgrowth from a smaller club he had created several years ago called The West Utica Comic Book Club. The club would be called The Organized Readers of Comics Associated (ORCA). My understanding was that the group had between 20 - 30 members at that time. I came to a deal with Rick, and created FRESH and prepared the first 4 or 5 issues. To be fair, Rick payed me the agreed upon price, although understandingly, he was late a few times. He did have some trouble getting the issues out, mostly financing issues, and they ran late for several bi-monthly periods. Eventually I had to beg off the job because I had other concerns, but we parted amicably. Brian Robson and Dennis Kinninger could probably speak more on this, but back then, in the mid-90's, my personal feeling was that Rick was genuine in his love for comics and really was trying to do something good and worthwhile.

I lost touch with Rick probably around 1996, and heard no more about ORCA. Then in 2005, I believe, I had contact with him again and invited him to my house, along with Barb and Dennis, for a cookout. I have to be honest and say that he had definitely changed. I heard the whole Ric Olie story, and he believed everything he was saying. It was a bit frightening actually. His intensity about comics issues and politics were very disturbing. At the time he had a convention coming up in less than a month, but had not ever found a location to have it yet. Clearly, he was floundering badly. This was a very different Rick Olney.

I don't know how many ORCA members there eventually were. I suspect a little over 100 including mail memberships. I have never believed the numbers that Rick has claimed both for members, and comics donated. That is shameless self-promotion. Dennis and Brian Robson would know the real numbers. I am not defending Rick in any way, shape or form. He has cheated people, and caused untold grief. He certainly has caused me personal grief and I will not forgive it. Nor forget it.

Dennis seemed to hop back and forth between tacitly supporting Rick's bullshit numbers and then being a real human being who would just admit he didn't know the answers to those questions (or wouldn't say what they were).
I felt bad for Dennis, he seemed completely unable to stand up for himself, and I still think he is basically a decent person.

But he knew things were fucked up with Rick and he still supported people being cheated long after he knew the truth. I find that a lot harder to excuse.
Thanks for the information, Don. Do you still have copies of Fresh? How was it printed, where did the content come from, if you don't mind me asking?

bert
01-19-2012, 10:05 AM
wonder which of those quotes is from that Idiot woman that posted here for about 2 days until her stupidity got me to put her on Ignore.

bert
01-19-2012, 10:07 AM

have you not learned to speak "Olney" yet?

that translates as:

"Gail Simone" (NOT HER REAL NAME! YOU KNOW!!!!) is the Wicked Witch of the East!

course, he's pretty dumb, so he probably thinks the house in Wizard of Oz falls on the Wicked Witch of the West. . .

but that's the gist of it.

Gail Simone
01-19-2012, 10:10 AM

You got me, this is Rick's idea of a slam, I guess.

Which is why he hasn't ever won an argument in his life.

Gail Simone
01-19-2012, 10:11 AM
wonder which of those quotes is from that Idiot woman that posted here for about 2 days until her stupidity got me to put her on Ignore.

She still posts wacky shit. It's embarrassing.

Dragonbat
01-19-2012, 10:16 AM
have you not learned to speak "Olney" yet?

that translates as:

"Gail Simone" (NOT HER REAL NAME! YOU KNOW!!!!) is the Wicked Witch of the East!

course, he's pretty dumb, so he probably thinks the house in Wizard of Oz falls on the Wicked Witch of the West. . .

but that's the gist of it.

Speak, no. Understand, somewhat. (As typically happens when I start to pick up foreign languages). No, I'm just boggling about how Auntie Em gets involved with the Ruby slippers. Any idiot can mix up the wicked witches. It requires a greater level of stupidity to mess up who ends up with the shoes.

AIPman1
01-19-2012, 10:25 AM
I have copies of many Fresh issues. They are offset print, typical of small press publishing, which puts print runs in the 100-500 copy max, in the economics of printing offset...it's all "soft" reading...meaning that the articles and interviews and stuff is mostly fan fluff - from what I remember. No big exclusives, previews of hot stuff, or anything...just a lot of talk by fan writers about things they are fans of. Which, as it is, they aren't BAD. I've seen worse production-wise. I would say they are an honest attempt to have something tangible for the Orca membership...and they were the basis of my thinking Olney was on the up and up in wanting to do good things.

Gail Simone
01-19-2012, 10:50 AM
What do you guys think happened to him?

I mean, he was clearly always a blowhard with a truth problem. But he did seem at one time to at least...I don't know, give a shit about comics.

But clearly, even at the con, the whole thing was about him, him, him. He had zero interest in ANYTHING that wasn't all about him.

Artful Angie
01-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Don, what do you hear from Brian Robson these days?

Or maybe Rick thinks I am Brian Robson or Dennis Kinninger?

AIPman1
01-19-2012, 11:24 AM
I wish I knew! Up until the DAY of that convention I had every faith in the world about him. But after that, it was downhill. I went from being a friend of his, to someone who was owed, on that day...and I spent the next YEAR struggling with the fact I was HIDING the fact he owed, meanwhile watching as he started picking apart the things we had spent the previous year building - and DEFENDING him while he did it, and his rants eventually lead to the day he attacked Joan Mutch in the SPA Forums, and I HAD to, after warning him many time, remove him from the SPA - and he went absolutely nuts. I think the rest of what happened has been gone over and is in Unscrewed records.

I have spent time racking my brain for hints or signs of what I missed - why I didnt get that flip switched to see him for what he was sooner...and I then spent YEARS struggling to keep the SPA together while he had his magic spell over half of the people who had been in it, and he was actively doing everything in his power to destroy everything I had ever done. It is an odd thing that when THE THREAD started, it was as if the weight of that period of time lifted. Even as person after person came forward to tell of their Rick experiences, the pain and the misery he had wrought, meant that there would not be US VERSUS THEM in the small press anymore. And I will spend the rest of my career as I work to bring forth the Small Press Hall of Fame, doing so with an eye on educating new, and all creators, to avoid getting involved with people who would take advantage of them.

How he evolved from even THERE, to a guy who could take licensed maps and try to sell them gleefully when he has no right to anymore, I dunno. His grip on what is good and right, is gone....long gone....not sure if it was gone at that show those years ago, or if it slowly just slipped away...but the result is the same: It's gone. He's fully evil at this point. How he twists every truth to serve his perverted view, I fully think only psychiatric help could unravel.

Gail Simone
01-19-2012, 11:24 AM
I don't think you're Dennis, Angie. I don't want to be any meaner than necessary, but Dennis is afraid of his own shadow. Even under a pseudonym, he wouldn't confront Rick like that.

AIPman1
01-19-2012, 11:26 AM
I am ....Dennis Kinninger?
No way! You have a backbone, Dennis cant even FAKE having one....

Artful Angie
01-19-2012, 11:29 AM

I mean, he was clearly always a blowhard with a truth problem. But he did seem at one time to at least...I don't know, give a shit about comics.

But clearly, even at the con, the whole thing was about him, him, him. He had zero interest in ANYTHING that wasn't all about him.

I have two theories on that, Gail.

One of which is that when ORCA started to grow beyond him, he saw it as a betrayal coming from the one thing in his life he never thought he'd get hurt by. Sort of "How dare they not show their gratitude to me for starting this thing?!?" I know by the end he was on the outs with most of the ORCA members for personal and financial reasons. That might have been the trigger that caused the issue.

Artful Angie
01-19-2012, 11:30 AM
I am Dennicus!

Sorry. Channeled my inner gladiator for a second there.

HamsterRage
01-19-2012, 12:05 PM

I think he became desperate. I think he started to hit a massive and terrifying mid life crisis. I think mortality fucked with him.

He went from being a fan to wanting to have power and make his life has some kind of meaning or legacy.

He went about pursuing these things and it all became about Rick. Rick never desired to make art... He desires fame, and he achieved it in the worst possible way.

He wants to deny it but he's become one of the worst people in comics. As bad as Hoopes and Granito are... Rick is still the most despised man in comics.

Matt Doc Martin
01-19-2012, 12:11 PM
I think he became desperate. I think he started to hit a massive and terrifying mid life crisis. I think mortality fucked with him.

He went from being a fan to wanting to have power and make his life has some kind of meaning or legacy.

He went about pursuing these things and it all became about Rick. Rick never desired to make art... He desires fame, and he achieved it in the worst possible way.

He wants to deny it but he's become one of the worst people in comics. As bad as Hoopes and Granito are... Rick is still the most despised man in comics.

But he is immortalized in Star Wars! Just ask him!

MacQuarrie
01-19-2012, 12:16 PM
He's one of the worst people in the general vicinity of comics; he's not actually in comics.

AIPman1
01-19-2012, 12:29 PM
See now, here's a case study then, cause - lord knows I have an ego the size of the planet, and I have been facing mortality, and trying to get my legacy of something I build to out-live me. I dig being KNOWN, I play to the audience. I'm aware of the mistakes I made in the name of my ego over what the greater good needed, over time.

But never, ever would I cheat someone out of what they deserve, or try to steal from them, or otherwise set up a scam that simply put $$ in my pocket and screwed people over. When I met Rick, we REALLY were a lot alike. At least I thought so. The way we diverged, could not be more black and white.

Although he's probably WAY more "known" than I am now...I dont mind anymore. The time I've spent the last few years looking death in the eye, I dont care if people remember me specifically anymore. I just want to see the dreams that I've chased, that I've shared with and chased with others, make a difference in a good way.

Olney: I know you read here so - let me pass this one thought over to you. You went on in one of your posting how you were PROUD of how you were able to damage my efforts. Me, I'll be proud that I never retaliated directly. That by simply learning from your evil actions, and learning how to prevent anyone else from being able to do that again, and being able to help teach others how to avoid not you specifically, but the evil you represent....I defeated you. And as you grow more desperate and fail at bigger and bigger scams, I am happy and content working with the people that I do, on the things that make us happy, that you at one point wanted to do, but never will.

Artful Angie
01-19-2012, 12:35 PM

That was my other theory.

And Rick used to take pride in his being the most hated man in comics. It used to be part of his bio on the Tingly blog he had taken away from him.

HamsterRage
01-19-2012, 12:45 PM
He's one of the worst people in the general vicinity of comics; he's not actually in comics.

Yeah that's true... I guess the correct thing to say is he's the most despised person by people who ARE in comics.

Artful Angie
01-19-2012, 12:51 PM
I have to laugh at how in his post today he's quick to point to people who support him. I wonder what they would think if they ever read what he had written on Tingling? They see the nice scrubbed down, "polite ole genteel" Rick and probably never saw the "here's a toilet for your troubles!" Rick.

Give him time. The minute he thinks one of them is out to screw him, they'll be a troll in his eyes and get blasted with a full-blown dose of Olneyness.

Artful Angie
01-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Also, I was copying and pasting this for Doc, and wanted to repost it so it doesn't get lost.

The Comic Book Club of Ithaca (CBCI), the Oldest Active Comic Book Club in the USA, Presents:

The 2012 Cabin Fever Comic Book Show

Date: Saturday, February 4, 2012
Time: 10:00am until 4:00pm
Street: 100 W Seneca St.
City/Town: Ithaca, NY

Comics! Action Figures & Toys! DVDs! Special Guest Artists & Writers!

Part of Ithacon -- Ithaca’s Oldest and Largest Independent Publishing Forum!

Local, regional, and even national artists, writers, and entrepreneurs gather to show off their work, sign autographs, make art, and answer your questions on how to break into the publishing business!

Admission is only $3. Bring everyone you know!

With a great guest lineup including:

-- J. G. Hertzler, an actor and writer best known for his portrayal of the Klingon officer General Martok from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He has also co-written two S/T novels, The Left Hand of Destiny: Book 1, and Book 2. He currently teaches and performs in Shakespeare at Cornell.

-- Jim Brenneman, the cartoonist responsible for “Cartoons about Politics, Cultural Absurdities, Random Nonsense and the Coming Apocalypse”

-- Jim Coon, cartoonist and small-press comics creator

-- Jime Alena Grabowski: artist, illustrator, art teacher

-- TL Collins: artist & webcomics creator

-- Ethan Young: artist & webcomics creator

-- Storn Cook: fantasy illustrator

-- Warren Greenwood: writer & storyboard artist

-- Mike Garland: artist, colorist & writer

-- Jon Haeffner: artist (& CBCI member turned pro!)

-- Aaron Kuder: artist (& another CBCI member turned pro!)

-- Mark McCracken, Andy Sullivan, Jamie Apgar: writers and artists of indie company Divine Authority Comics

-- Joe Orsak: artist & illustrator

-- Rob Piecuch: artist & musician

-- Mike Raicht: co-writer of Stuff of Legend

-- Roger Stern: veteran comic book writer; Captain America Corps, Captain America: Forever Allies

AIPman1
01-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Wish I was a little closer to those shows, I'd love to be there!

Don Krick
01-19-2012, 01:41 PM
I have copies of many Fresh issues. They are offset print, typical of small press publishing, which puts print runs in the 100-500 copy max, in the economics of printing offset...it's all "soft" reading...meaning that the articles and interviews and stuff is mostly fan fluff - from what I remember. No big exclusives, previews of hot stuff, or anything...just a lot of talk by fan writers about things they are fans of. Which, as it is, they aren't BAD. I've seen worse production-wise. I would say they are an honest attempt to have something tangible for the Orca membership...and they were the basis of my thinking Olney was on the up and up in wanting to do good things.
Ian, when I originally designed and edited FRESH it was on 11" x 17" bifold. So it made a magazine size of 11" x 8.5 ". After I stopped doing the newsletter, Rick got someone else to produce it in a smaller format, although they kept the original design. The stories and artwork were mostly by ORCA members, with a lot of articles written by Rick himself. I tried to be very careful about copyrighted material, and if something seemed too professionally done I did not include it. It was easy to see that it was almost all amateur stuff. I have no idea how many issues were actually printed and mailed out. Once I turned over the proofs I went on to the next issue.

Gail, I haven't seen Brian Robson in many years. The last I heard he was living in Florida. I do hear from Dennis,occasionally, on Facebook. I never attended a meeting of The West Utica Comic Book Club, or ORCA. I don't have any copies of the issues that I printed. It was 16-17 years ago and they are long gone. Rick sent these issues to comic professionals as well as club members. My email address was in each issue so that readers could email their stories to me. I recall getting an email from "Stan Lee" complimenting me on the magazine. Rick vociferously insisted that it had to be fake because Stan Lee would email HIM and not me. Maybe he was right... it probably was fake. But his reaction was over-the-top.

Rick always had a bit of narcissism, but for some reason it became his most prevalent characteristic at some point. I suspect that it happened when he went on disability and no longer had to report for work. He simply had too much time on his hands and went over the edge.

SarahBeach
01-19-2012, 01:57 PM
This much more objective history about ORCA beginnings sounds ... well, more real. Not that I doubted there had been a club that read comics and occasionally went places, etc. It's just Rick tries so hard to paint it as a "force to be reckoned with" that it is hard to take it seriously at times.

Don, it wouldn't surprise me that the communcation did indeed come from the real Stan -- if your email was included for purposes of getting content into the newsletter, it's likely it was the most visible contact information. And since we can be pretty sure that Rick made no greater impression on Stan than the next local comic book club leader ... well, I doubt Stan would know Rick was the person to be contacted. Of course, in Rick's mind, he absolutely was Bestest Friends Wtih Stan, and he was on the top of Stan's contact list.

I don't want to mock people I don't know, but the Facebook friends that Rick is quoting ... I think they've taken Rick at his word for everything and not checked a single thing out. Because comics don't really matter to them. So if Rick calls Gail a witch, she must be a witch and that's all there is to that. Because why would Rick like to them?

As for his lame-o Oz joke? When you don't get the details right, it does rather seriously undercut its impact.

(You see what I did there? "Impact" - allusion to dropping a house on someone..... You know we have to spell these things out for him. ;) )

AIPman1
01-19-2012, 02:13 PM
I have a Stan Lee story! like 20 years ago at a Chicagocon (Actually I think it was the first year Wizard had taken it over) I ended up in an elevator and Stan Lee got in....after a couple quiet moments, I was like...hey, wow, you're stan lee....and he smiled. I said, I would hate myself if I didnt give you a minicomic, so I did. He thanked me. I'll never know if he actually read it. So later that day someone came up to me and said Man, I saw you get out of an elevator with stan lee!!! I was like, yea. so? By the time the story spread around my small press friends, they were saying I'd told him to fuck off and small press rules and stuff like that.

Didnt occur to me to tell people he was my new personal friend...guess I missed that boat. But for my reputation at the time, it worked...I had to keep telling people I never swore at stan lee for years. Some people still dont believe me.

Artful Angie
01-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Don, I can absolutely confirm that the email from Stan was real (can't give details on how I know just yet). When Stan receives submissions in the mail like that, his assistant will make it a point to send a form letter, or email, just for general purpose. If your email was in the issue, that's where they would have sent it to.

Learn your lesson, Rick. If you had put your contact info in, we'd be hearing all about you and Stan being BFFs, and be subjected to endless photos of you holding your standard "Thenk You" form letter as if it was penned by The Mighty Hand Of Stan The Man himself.

And Sarah, I'm sure ORCA was a force to be reckoned with. Rick just didn't reckon it'd be aimed at him!

MyNameIsNotLarry
01-19-2012, 03:53 PM
A new Sequential Soul blog. Only one thing of note in regard to him likely trying to scam someone.

IIn fact, in a recent exchange with an artist handling my Kid Mummy character, a pin-up commissioned for the planned Origins graphic novel opened up a few words between us on Jack Kirby and how Kirby delighted the eye of his readers.
http://sequentialsoul.blogspot.com/2012/01/avengers-assemble-or-if-not-past-then.html

The rest is the same blah, blah stuff. The only question now is how long does he take to start posting pictures that get this blog taken down too?

Kal El
01-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Gail Simone is within that small group. Simone is entitled to her opinion, obviously. But she brings her usual rude and crude self to the table.

Says the man who posts pictures of toilets filled with shit.

bluecove
01-19-2012, 04:22 PM
He brags that he's "cobbling together" characters and stories. He does know that cobble together means "put together hastily," right? Not exactly a sign of quality. :no:

leftwingnutcase
01-19-2012, 04:36 PM
He brags that he's "cobbling together" characters and stories. He does know that cobble together means "put together hastily," right? Not exactly a sign of quality. :no:

He is not known for quality. He posts pictures of toilets filled with shit.

bluecove
01-19-2012, 04:50 PM
He is not known for quality. He posts pictures of toilets filled with shit.

Yes, but according to him others are chagrined that he's "cobbling together" these characters. He thinks he's humiliating people like Gail by doing this. :lol:

bert
A new Sequential Soul blog. Only one thing of note in regard to him likely trying to scam someone.

http://sequentialsoul.blogspot.com/2012/01/avengers-assemble-or-if-not-past-then.html

The rest is the same blah, blah stuff. The only question now is how long does he take to start posting pictures that get this blog taken down too?

well, he does say that Gail will never fit among the Masters of comic writing, in his opinion.

and you know the saying, "opinions are like. . . ."

so at least I guess he gets credit for sticking to a theme, no?

:p

SarahBeach
OMG!! Is he really trying to come off like he can give instruction in writing comics to anyone??

Just read through that lastest post, out of curiousity. It's terrible! He tries to sound intelligent and insightful, and ends up being redundant. And pointless. And really? "Opened up words between us about Jack Kirby"? What? "Sparked conversation" is too complicated for him to say?

And he's doing a graphic novel? I really hope the artist is indeed getting paid as he goes along. A graphic novel is a lot of work to do without being paid until it's done.

Gail Simone
01-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Yes, but according to him others are chagrined that he's "cobbling together" these characters. He thinks he's humiliating people like Gail by doing this. :lol:

Bluecove! Yay!

Gail Simone
01-19-2012, 05:22 PM
It's always funny when he pulls that shit about writers like Tony and me, when he was on his knees begging us to attend his shitty non-convention, showering us with ridiculous compliments. What a doof. ;)

Gail Simone
01-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Hahaha! Oh, my god, the narcissism in his new post! Hahaha!

Might be the best Olney quote in years! WOW!

Gail Simone
01-19-2012, 05:40 PM
I can't...I'm sorry, but that is the funniest thing EVER!

"
And when someone dismisses me for my writing ability, they are actually dismissing all the superb storytellers of the past, in my opinion. "

HAHAHAHAAHAHA!

Dude, you are a SHITTY WRITER.

But THAT is HILARIOUS!

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

SarahBeach
01-19-2012, 06:27 PM
I KNOW! As if somehow his declaration that he is a writer automatically bestows on him (and him alone!) the mantle of all the great writers of the past.

People he cannot quote without stumbling over. People whose works he cannot even correctly reference (let us remember that he thinks Aunt Em wants the ruby slippers -- which is a movie reference, because the slippers were silver in the book).

I really wonder how he makes that connection between "all the superb storytellers of the past" and his own writing. I mean, I'm egotist enough to think well of my own writing, but I'd never make that kind of statement. But then... I'm also not demented. Heh.

Artful Angie
01-19-2012, 06:39 PM
That stated, I'm happy to visit my former collection and recall those great artists that helped to captivate my interest in books and characters like the Avengers.

Needless to say, I'll be revisiting some of my early Thor issues tomorrow, time permitting.

He forgot to mention "Until the owner of the shop announces it's closing time and kicks me out of his store. But I love visiting my old collection! They just won't let me take the comics out of the bag & board. But the trolls can't stop me from looking at the cover!"

And when someone dismisses me for my writing ability, they are actually dismissing all the superb storytellers of the past, in my opinion. Gail Simone is within that small group. Simone is entitled to her opinion, obviously. But she brings her usual rude and crude self to the table. She'll never fit in among the masters of comics writing. No, not in my opinion. Will Eisner would often share how important in pacing the narrative was in controlling the speed that the story unfolds. He added angles and even sound-effects to his writing to give it depth.

Gail isn't that swift yet...

That's right. If you hate his writing, then you hate Stan Lee! And then the terrorists win!!

Hey, Rick, while you're on the subject of Will Eisner let me ask you this: Someday Gail or Tony might win an Eisner award. Yeah, I said it. They could be capable of winning an award named after your new hero du jour. Something they could be nominated for based on... guess what?

WRITING COMICS!!!

Something you still claim you can do, but no one's ever seen any proof to this date. You're 57, Rick, and haven't written a single thing that any comic company has wanted to read, let alone sell! I guarantee you be the time Gail reaches that age, in 37 years :-) , she'll have been nominated at least once. Maybe if you're nice, she'll invite you to the awards ceremony. It'll be the ONLY WAY you'll get to mingle with the greats in real life and not your dreams.

Glenn Barbis Jr.
01-19-2012, 06:51 PM
I wish I knew! Up until the DAY of that convention I had every faith in the world about him. But after that, it was downhill. I went from being a friend of his, to someone who was owed, on that day...and I spent the next YEAR struggling with the fact I was HIDING the fact he owed, meanwhile watching as he started picking apart the things we had spent the previous year building - and DEFENDING him while he did it, and his rants eventually lead to the day he attacked Joan Mutch in the SPA Forums, and I HAD to, after warning him many time, remove him from the SPA - and he went absolutely nuts. I think the rest of what happened has been gone over and is in Unscrewed records.

I have spent time racking my brain for hints or signs of what I missed - why I didnt get that flip switched to see him for what he was sooner...and I then spent YEARS struggling to keep the SPA together while he had his magic spell over half of the people who had been in it, and he was actively doing everything in his power to destroy everything I had ever done. It is an odd thing that when THE THREAD started, it was as if the weight of that period of time lifted. Even as person after person came forward to tell of their Rick experiences, the pain and the misery he had wrought, meant that there would not be US VERSUS THEM in the small press anymore. And I will spend the rest of my career as I work to bring forth the Small Press Hall of Fame, doing so with an eye on educating new, and all creators, to avoid getting involved with people who would take advantage of them.

How he evolved from even THERE, to a guy who could take licensed maps and try to sell them gleefully when he has no right to anymore, I dunno. His grip on what is good and right, is gone....long gone....not sure if it was gone at that show those years ago, or if it slowly just slipped away...but the result is the same: It's gone. He's fully evil at this point. How he twists every truth to serve his perverted view, I fully think only psychiatric help could unravel.

He started being a loon in 1998/99 on the Comicon boards. That's whenI knew him. And I gave him every benefit of every doubt, until he eventually tried to screw my friends and I. His Comicon rants were stuff of legend. It's a shame there is no record of the Gutters threads were you could actually see him going off the deep end in each successive post.

And I remember trying to join the SPA boards when Rick was there, at the start of my falling out with him, and Rick did everything he could to portray me as the bad guy, when I never even mentioned him and his doings when I joined.

So it wasn't at that convention when he strated losing it. It started waaaay before.

MacQuarrie
01-19-2012, 07:40 PM
"And when someone dismisses me for my writing ability, they are actually dismissing all the superb storytellers of the past, in my opinion."
To me, this sounds like somebody confessing to habitual plagiarism. When you dismiss Olney, you dismiss all the far better writers from whom he steals.

Gail Simone
01-19-2012, 09:53 PM
I think the second funniest thing is the bit about "angles and sound effects."

Really? You're a grown man, and that's what you get out of Eisner's work? The surface gimmicks?

Hey, genius, even the WORST writers use "angles and sound effects.". Hell, YOU could even use them.

It's like saying what makes a rocket fly is the paint job.

Gail Simone
01-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Although, I have to add, the THIRD funniest thing has to be...WHO IN THE WORLD REPOSTS, "lol"?!?!

Seriously, Rick is back in classic idiot form with this post. His last big meltdown was disgusting, but kind of dull.

This post is so full of narcissism and unearned entitlement that it's absolutely hysterical.

Dismissing his work is the same as PEEING ON THE MASTERS, you guys! You're so MEAN that way!

:)

Gail Simone
01-19-2012, 10:31 PM
He started being a loon in 1998/99 on the Comicon boards. That's whenI knew him. And I gave him every benefit of every doubt, until he eventually tried to screw my friends and I. His Comicon rants were stuff of legend. It's a shame there is no record of the Gutters threads were you could actually see him going off the deep end in each successive post.

And I remember trying to join the SPA boards when Rick was there, at the start of my falling out with him, and Rick did everything he could to portray me as the bad guy, when I never even mentioned him and his doings when I joined.

So it wasn't at that convention when he strated losing it. It started waaaay before.

I've heard a lot about the racist stuff and the physical threats on the gutters. Even at the con he admitted he 'let himself get goaded,' which is as close as Rick ever gets to admitting he acted like a scumbag.
But he still blamed everyone else...nothing he had done or said was his faut.

What did he say on the Gutters, do you recall?

KJ!
01-20-2012, 03:16 AM
If you speak negatively of Olney's writing, you're actually trash-talking all comic writers and legends, like Lee etc.

But then in the next paragraph, he trash talks...........................Gail...........who happens to BE a................comics writer.

Irony.......too much...............

PS Kinda late here, but congratulations Jim! I hope this is just the start of a fantastic year for you, mate!

AIPman1
01-20-2012, 03:28 AM
I wish there had been more evidence of, and people willing to go forth and tell what he had done. When he came to me, he SOUNDED reasonable. I researched him. Looked for anything that would send up alarms...cause he himself preemptively told me, "there are people out there that don't like me", but no one that came forward to actually say anything said more than "he's just an asshole", etc. With his showing of things Orca had done, and having been able to talk to people who WERE on his side, I accepted that his intentions were good. He pledged to spend $1000 (publicly in the SPA forums) in the next year on advertising in the SPA's magazine. Offered to bring my family to his show. but it was a SLOW development, not all at once. cause looking BACK you can SEE it was a too good to be true situation.

I wish I had seen even ONE post about his racist tendencies before I had started working with him. Racism is one of my #1 "If you are a racist, I dont want to know you" things. I am racist against racists. Anyone that pre-judges a person based solely on gender or color, or sexual orientation, needs a brain-enema.

Glenn Barbis Jr.
01-20-2012, 03:51 AM
I wish there had been more evidence of, and people willing to go forth and tell what he had done. When he came to me, he SOUNDED reasonable. I researched him. Looked for anything that would send up alarms...cause he himself preemptively told me, "there are people out there that don't like me", but no one that came forward to actually say anything said more than "he's just an asshole", etc. With his showing of things Orca had done, and having been able to talk to people who WERE on his side, I accepted that his intentions were good. He pledged to spend $1000 (publicly in the SPA forums) in the next year on advertising in the SPA's magazine. Offered to bring my family to his show. but it was a SLOW development, not all at once. cause looking BACK you can SEE it was a too good to be true situation.

I wish I had seen even ONE post about his racist tendencies before I had started working with him. Racism is one of my #1 "If you are a racist, I dont want to know you" things. I am racist against racists. Anyone that pre-judges a person based solely on gender or color, or sexual orientation, needs a brain-enema.

When I joined the SPA boards, and Rick started attacking me, someone (I can't remember who) notified me privately that Rick had complained about me, and I should not start any flame wars on their board. I replied that if they looked, they would see I had not commented to/about Rick on anything, and in my email, pointed them to Comicon.com, Comics Journal, Figma, and another board (Tarts?) where they could see how Rick had acted in the past. After a few emails between us, I could see they were siding with Rick, and I never went back or participated with SPA again. Sorry i can't remember who ut was I spoke with, but I had given that person, who was in charge of at least the boards, a clear enough warning and examples to check out.

Gail Simone
01-20-2012, 04:01 AM

Yeah, we found out two things the first week we went public with the stuff about all the lies and cheating involved with the Mighty-Mini Con, and his cheating of all the Tightlip creators...first, that some of them had actually believed his threats about lawsuits. Every once in a while, we still get someone who won't talk because they actually believe his nonsense about that.

But the other is that most people are just so sick of him by the time he's cheated, threatened and insulted him, they don't want to go public at all.

The very WEEK we went public, people started connecting the dots and seeing how MANY people he'd lied to and cheated, how he'd treated them all so badly and thought he could get away with it.
Before the internet, he might have gotten away with this shit for another ten years before people started comparing notes.

Glenn Barbis Jr.
01-20-2012, 04:17 AM
I've heard a lot about the racist stuff and the physical threats on the gutters. Even at the con he admitted he 'let himself get goaded,' which is as close as Rick ever gets to admitting he acted like a scumbag.
But he still blamed everyone else...nothing he had done or said was his faut.

What did he say on the Gutters, do you recall?

It all started when he began trashing Natavie Americans because of reservation-run casino's. And IIRC, someone was married to a Native American, took offence, and it devolved into a flame war. Then it changed over to gun laws, and turned really ugly from there. There were also alot of people who called Rick on some of his bullshit posts when people would ignore his ORCA posts and he would go on rants. Those he kept doing constantly.

What was funny was, there were 3 or 4 people who posted regularly that always fought with each other, and liked to start heated discussions, and eventually they all started ganging up on Rick. Then Rick started threatening them with physical assaults, investigations, and (as he still does) getting his lawyers involved. Rick veitch who ran Comicon.com even took pity on Rick when the "Usual Suspects" really started ganging up on Olney, so The Gutters were created as a no-holds-barred place to cut loose. So then Olney started using multiple sock-puppets, and when he started threatening Veitch with lawyers and having the site closed, because Olney felt everyone was against him, that's when Veitch started giving Olney warnings about the physical threats and other things.

Many times the "Usual Suspects" would go topside to start on Olney, then it would move to the Gutters, and when someone started spamming that section, Veitch eventually started "cleaning" them monthly, because it was using alot of bandwith. About that time is when Olney started really kicking in with the sock puppets, and broke most of rules Veitch gave him, and kicked him off. But Olney kept returning, even changing IP's every couple of weeks. After one night of about 6 hours of flaming, Rick completely lost it online. I mean, he went mental, and you could actually watch it with each post. You think the last 4-5 years of meltdowns were bad, you never saw anything like these! And it was brutal how the "Usual Suspects" kept pounding him. So Veitch then went berserk, and this lead to Olney's name being censored to this day, from the Comicon.com boards (It Shows up as R*** O****).

Between the threats, racist and homophobic slurs, and just pure hatred that spewed forth that night, it was truly an amazing experience to "watch" online. It was like you could "see" Rick just pounding the keyboard with every response. A few people even warned him to go away for a bit, because they thought (just by reading his posts) he was on the verge of a heart attack. And like I said, it went on continuous for the entire evening. And "people" would start posting in support of Olney, be called out for the same grammatical and spelling errors as him, proven the same IP by Veitch, banned, and keep coming back for more.

I actually stayed up all night with popcorn refreshing to see what would happen next! You just didn't want to miss what Rick would say next, because you knew it was going to be even worse then the last post. And the people he was warring with, were truly smarter than him, and would give brutal, but reasoned responses, which only incited Olney even more. The fact they out-smarted, out-witted, and out-classed him, made his "goos night pukies" responses seem sane and rational in comparison.

I really wish I could drag up those old posts, because it was a memorable night of Olney madness and hatred and pure lunacy, that he still hasn't topped. And I don't think he will.

AIPman1
01-20-2012, 04:25 AM
When I joined the SPA boards, and Rick started attacking me, someone (I can't remember who) notified me privately that Rick had complained about me, and I should not start any flame wars on their board. I replied that if they looked, they would see I had not commented to/about Rick on anything, and in my email, pointed them to Comicon.com, Comics Journal, Figma, and another board (Tarts?) where they could see how Rick had acted in the past. After a few emails between us, I could see they were siding with Rick, and I never went back or participated with SPA again. Sorry i can't remember who ut was I spoke with, but I had given that person, who was in charge of at least the boards, a clear enough warning and examples to check out.

Glen - it was most likely me. And I certainly apologize for defending Olney and dismissing you. By that time, I had fully drank the cool aid...by that time Olney had gone from 'guy interested in small press' to being one of our co-administrators, and I didn't want to hear that I had fucked up. It took a LOT of his being abusive to people to break me out of the spell. It wasnt until his attack on Joanne Mutch...a lady in all respects...that my anti-prejudice over rid the stand by your friends gene. I fully understand that you TRIED to wake me up and I ignored it. If you had come along 6 months earlier, I would have been more likely to have listened. But we have seen time and again that GRIP Olney can place on a person to warp their sense of right and wrong to suit HIS needs. I was played like a fiddle. It hurt LOTS of people, what I allowed Olney access to. The credibility I gave to him. It makes me sick, and is why I stay here, keeping up on things, hoping that in the long run I can do more good than the harm I caused.

Gail Simone
01-20-2012, 04:26 AM
Have to repost it, this one just had me laughing the whole way through. Good LORD, he is a terrible writer. NO ONE could put together this shitty, inexplicable string of words if they had a clue about how to use language. WOW.

"
I read reviews. I do not always read the comic book. With all that has happened in comics the last 15-20 years some storytelling has suffered. Least wise, as I see it. So I read reviews and if I happen to miss a specific book for whatever reason I'll place it on my shopping & hunt list and go after the back issues. Yeah, I'm a nostalgia type. Many people living in this hobby actually are. It is a huge circle. You begin at discovering the characters and then buy into the imagination trip. Of course, many stories no longer have that imaginary story trip so I don't buy them. That stated, I'm happy to visit my former collection and recall those great artists that helped to captivate my interest in books and characters like the Avengers.

I'll be 58 years old this June. Publishers like Marvel and DC can't stretch my imagination much as they once did. My nostalgia these days rests more with older books (and stories) from the 1940s. Many of the early Timely characters could have formed an Avengers type group back then, and some did, but the real 'magic' of the Silver age came from the talents that introduced it. Sadly, the same can be said for its demise in the current age of comics. So why do I read comics? What makes me hunger for the old days?

The saying, "It is what it is" comes to my mind, but to be sure it is the combination of words and panel images. Yes, and a history of story and character also catches my eye. I love it when the text and art comes both smashing together leaving me with a clear mental image of what the writer implied was not necessarily simply two story tracks running parallel. I control time in stories that either 'pop' or drop. I still buy multiple copies, although not nearly as often as I used to twenty years ago. I do this to be able to point a short list of friends who might miss the book in question otherwise. And now, to the chagrin of a few, I am cobbling my own characters and stories together. In fact, in a recent exchange with an artist handling my Kid Mummy character, a pin-up commissioned for the planned Origins graphic novel opened up a few words between us on Jack Kirby and how Kirby delighted the eye of his readers. I bowed to the masterful opinions of my artist, being reminded that Kirby when introducing a character in a story ( IE The Destroyer) would drawn all the "details" in on the first panel and then simplify the rest of the issue. Needless to say, I'll be revisiting some of my early Thor issues tomorrow, time permitting.

And when someone dismisses me for my writing ability, they are actually dismissing all the superb storytellers of the past, in my opinion. Gail Simone is within that small group. Simone is entitled to her opinion, obviously. But she brings her usual rude and crude self to the table. She'll never fit in among the masters of comics writing. No, not in my opinion. Will Eisner would often share how important in pacing the narrative was in controlling the speed that the story unfolds. He added angles and even sound-effects to his writing to give it depth.

Gail isn't that swift yet... "

Sorry, superb storytellers of the past, but THAT is some genuinely shitty writing. YIKES.

Too funny to even eviscerate. :)

Glenn Barbis Jr.
01-20-2012, 04:28 AM
Here is a great quote from one of the guys Rick constantly battled, especially that infamous meltdown night...

"Rik, I would say that Howard's description of Olney's ouster from Comicon.com as being the result of a degeneration to a particular "level of name-calling" was a tad disingenuous (and certainly applying a couple of coats of said whitewash), considering it was actually because of the 5th or 6th actual physical threat made by Olney on these boards (plus his obstinate refusal to apologize for the last of these). In addition, no mention was made of Olney spamming the boards with fake names after his banning (something he still lies about, although it's painfully obvious to anyone other than himself), including his trying to discredit retailer Jack Venooker by pretending to be a dissatisfied former customer of his (which I found especially despicable). I'm not so certain that all this would characterize Olney as someone who "means well", as much as it defines him as an individual with some critical issues with reality."
http://www.emeraldcity.comicon.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=453058&page=19

*This is the famous thread where Rick said ORCA donations were tax deductible, which would devolve quickly when Rick's lie was revealed.*

'Buck' is also the gentleman who, when Rick posted about his panel at the Pittsburgh Comicon, called Rick on the fact that it wasn't as rosy as Rick portrayed it, being it was only attended by one person, 'Buck,' who felt so bad about the failure, that he couldn't even bring himself to reveal he was Rick's enemy from the Comicon boards.

WilRadcliffe
01-20-2012, 04:34 AM
I once considered living in this hobby, but the neighborhood has really gone downhill since all the crumb-catchers moved in.

AIPman1
01-20-2012, 04:42 AM
Wait, if they caught all the crumbs, wouldn't that mean there is LESS to clean up? Like when zebre muscles invaded the great lakes...yea, they pushed out native species, but hey the WATER is a lot cleaner now!

Glenn Barbis Jr.
01-20-2012, 04:49 AM
The Pittsburgh Comicon posts...

http://www.comicon.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=450050&page=1

Oh yeah...a bit of clarification regarding these posts, and Rick's famous meltdown....

Rick's meltdown on Comicon.com occured in 98 or 99...and lead to his banning. Eventually, Rick Veitch allowed Rick back in for a second chance, and Olney would occasionally post, and most of those are still archived in the regular top-sde discussions. Olney would again revert back to form, after a year or so of only getting mild warnings, but then in the Gutters, he started more physical threats against people, that led to the permant ban and censored name.

Erica J Heflin
01-20-2012, 04:58 AM
"He added angles and even sound-effects to his writing to give it depth."

It's an obtuse observation.

Gail Simone
01-20-2012, 05:03 AM
Glen - it was most likely me. And I certainly apologize for defending Olney and dismissing you. By that time, I had fully drank the cool aid...by that time Olney had gone from 'guy interested in small press' to being one of our co-administrators, and I didn't want to hear that I had fucked up. It took a LOT of his being abusive to people to break me out of the spell. It wasnt until his attack on Joanne Mutch...a lady in all respects...that my anti-prejudice over rid the stand by your friends gene. I fully understand that you TRIED to wake me up and I ignored it. If you had come along 6 months earlier, I would have been more likely to have listened. But we have seen time and again that GRIP Olney can place on a person to warp their sense of right and wrong to suit HIS needs. I was played like a fiddle. It hurt LOTS of people, what I allowed Olney access to. The credibility I gave to him. It makes me sick, and is why I stay here, keeping up on things, hoping that in the long run I can do more good than the harm I caused.

A lot of people believed his bullshit, most of us did at one point...because, who bothers to LIE about such trivial nonsense?

The mark of character is when you do what you're doing here, Ian, and admit the mistake and apologize to anyone who suffered because of it.

Joanne IS one of the nicest, most talented people I've met in comics. And of course, Rick was completely disgusting to her.

Glenn Barbis Jr.
01-20-2012, 05:19 AM
A lot of people believed his bullshit, most of us did at one point...because, who bothers to LIE about such trivial nonsense?

The mark of character is when you do what you're doing here, Ian, and admit the mistake and apologize to anyone who suffered because of it.

Joanne IS one of the nicest, most talented people I've met in comics. And of course, Rick was completely disgusting to her.

I agree with Gail. We were all taken in by Rick at one time, we learned (some the hard way), and moved on the best possible way....admitting we screwed up, and doing what we could to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else. And no apologies are necessary to me. It was a long time ago, and even then, I harbor no ill-will. I remember wishing whoever I spoke to the best of luck, but I just wasn't going to try and be involved in SPA when Rick was trashing me for really no reason other than something he actually started when we were still friends.

And I've only ever met Joanne once, but she was extremely nice, and I always thought she was equally as talented.

AIPman1
01-20-2012, 05:32 AM
Glen, feel free to get involved when we open up the new Self Publisher Magazine site, in about 10 days....

HamsterRage
01-20-2012, 09:50 AM
My memory is fuzzy... what was Rick's attack on Joanne?

AIPman1
01-20-2012, 10:32 AM
She was at the MMC show we were all at....she was not covered as promised for her appearance...she was one of the first to speak out about it on the SPA forums, after getting fed up by being put off by him. It was in talking to her that I finally realized he would never live up to the promises he'd made to me. In Rick's head, she was then an enemy for speaking against him...and he started to work to get her to leave the SPA, but I had made up my mind that HE was going to have to go by then, so when he posted again about Joanne after being warned, and I supported Joanne and followed through by removing him from the SPA...he UNLEASHED on her like the pig he is. That was before he FURTHER unleashed on her in The Thread. Unforgivable to this day, the things he said. I will not repeat them.

MacQuarrie
01-20-2012, 11:40 AM
From my own experience of being unemployed/underemployed for over 3 years, I think I have some insight. It was being forced into early retirement.

When you don't have to get up, dressed and go to work every day, especially when somebody else is covering the bills, if you have very few responsibilities around the house, it's super-easy to regress to an adolescent state. I had to fight very hard against it, and even so it was an issue on occasion. Being self-employed helps. Having projects with deadlines and accountability helps. If you're spending your days noodling around with your pet projects and just doing the fun parts, with nobody asking to see results, and especially if the wife is coming home from work and cooking dinner and doing the bulk of the housework, it's not long before you begin to turn into the classic nerd living like a child.

When you live like a child long enough, you start to think like a child and have childish emotions and outbursts.

Lucky for me, my bride is smart, I am reasonably self-aware, and we recognized the syndrome very quickly and took steps to remedy it. Olney wasn't so lucky. Over time, his family allowed him to sit around all day playing with his comics and convention ideas, utterly unaware of what the particulars were but hoping like hell it would catch on and generate some income.

His behaviors are infantile. He demands attention and immediate gratification, is completely unconcerned with consequences, and lashes out at anyone or anything that denies him whatever he wants. He is infantile because he has been allowed to live for several years as an infant. Barb might as well be his mommy at this point.

This is why I say kids have to move out by age 25 at the absolute latest. If they stay home too long they start to rot.

MacQuarrie
01-20-2012, 11:52 AM
She was at the MMC show we were all at....she was not covered as promised for her appearance...she was one of the first to speak out about it on the SPA forums, after getting fed up by being put off by him. It was in talking to her that I finally realized he would never live up to the promises he'd made to me. In Rick's head, she was then an enemy for speaking against him...and he started to work to get her to leave the SPA, but I had made up my mind that HE was going to have to go by then, so when he posted again about Joanne after being warned, and I supported Joanne and followed through by removing him from the SPA...he UNLEASHED on her like the pig he is. That was before he FURTHER unleashed on her in The Thread. Unforgivable to this day, the things he said. I will not repeat them.

As I recall, he also accused her then-husband of selling bootleg videos and threatened to report them to US customs (they lived in Canada). I can't tell you the specifics without digging in the archives.

Tony Isabella
01-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Just checking in...

I have not yet been sued. I understand that. Imaginary lawyers aren't licensed to practice in the real world.

What I don't understand...

...is why you dear and wonderful people are spending so much time responding to a blog that only you read. Wouldn't it be much crueler to ignore his fantasies and rants? All he has left in his miserable life is the recognition you give him. My policy is to deny him that recognition.

Make no mistake about it. Whenever he actually tries to put on another convention or cheat freelancers or cheat anybody else, I'll be there to warn people about him in the many venues available to me. If I might be allowed a spot of pride, that has worked rather well to date.

Otherwise, I'm content to let him wallow in his own bile, alone and friendless and not receiving even what sick thrill he gets from being written about here.

AIPman1
01-20-2012, 01:05 PM
As I recall, he also accused her then-husband of selling bootleg videos and threatened to report them to US customs (they lived in Canada). I can't tell you the specifics without digging in the archives.

yup that was part of it. Course, he leaves out the part where he was thrilled her husband was there AT THE TIME. the motivation for his accusation and hatred stemmed directly from her being so evil as to actually get fed up with and speak out against him. How dare she.

AIPman1
01-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Tony: according to him...somewhere out there there is at least one artist toiling away trying to decipher his verbiage and convert it into comic book pages likely at the thought that they will get paid for doing so. They are likely being locked into anonymity from one of Olney's Ironclad NDA's and have explicit instruction not only to not tell anyone they are working for him, but have likely been given some seed-money to prove that US TROLLS are all liars...so they are in full cool-aid influence. Somewhere, we blinked and lost one. Our efforts to educate people to protect themselves, specifically against the serial-hope-killer that is Olney...arent reaching far enough yet.

Though I do agree most of his posts should be ignored and not talked about, some reading and discussion keeps us focused, I think. And some of that talk lead to his posting information about the Maps and his continued intention to keep selling them, so poking the bear isnt completely fruitless. If that information indeed got passed back to Lucasfilm as we hope it did, then they will have some new cause of action.

SarahBeach
01-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Tony, I don't really give him that much of my time, and certainly not every day.

Today, I've been hard at work writing pages for my computer guy. Hanging out around here is a short break from all that. (I'll be back to it in a bit, and then I have to write some columns to go with the pages.)

Tomorrow, I'll be at a speaker event for the writers' organization I belong to -- the head of the UCLA Screenwriting department is giving a talk. And after the event, a handful of us will go on to dinner with him, and I'll get to talk one-on-one with him. And that's just tomorrow's activities.

Rick isn't really important. But he has a irritation effect that does need to be monitored. And a high level of toxicity, too.

EDIT TO ASK: Does anyone around here have any idea why the heck he changes the backgrounds on his blog template so often? Does he think they are like stinky socks that need to be changed or something? I just don't get it. Nutso.

Tony Isabella
01-20-2012, 04:10 PM
In a point of fact, you have only Rick's comments that at least one artist is out there working for him.

And you believe Rick why?

leftwingnutcase
01-20-2012, 04:21 PM
"Kid Mummy" heh woooooo boogity boogity

AIPman1
01-20-2012, 04:32 PM
just because, it would not be the first time he found a newb and screwed them hard. even if it's not true AT THIS MOMENT, that is what he wants....and at some point he'll find someone. Just like the pick up artist who is a COMPLETE asshole , one night stand, never calls the girls again, they go by numbers. You ask enough times, eventually someone says yes...their INTENT is to use people....and no matter how we try to educate people not to fall for such a thing, not to do it on a first date. Get to know your potential partner... chances are, that person who wants it right away like that, is going to have an STD, and spread it, cause they don't care. Yes, I am comparing Olney to an STD. We need to pass out mental condoms.

MyNameIsNotLarry
01-20-2012, 04:46 PM
just because, it would not be the first time he found a newb and screwed them hard. even if it's not true AT THIS MOMENT, that is what he wants....and at some point he'll find someone.
I have no doubt he's already found someone. If the artist ever becomes known, I'll guess it's someone whose first language is not English to give Rick an advantage. Wait, what am I saying, that would put them on the same level. Rick likely trolls deviantART.com looking for young people who will set aside and forget any gut instinct that it's too good to be true all the hype and butt kissing Rick is laying on because they want to be published so badly.

Gail Simone
01-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Really, I got bored during his last meltdown. But this latest rant was really comedy gold.

It was worth repeating, it was hilarious!

SarahBeach
01-20-2012, 06:07 PM
In a point of fact, you have only Rick's comments that at least one artist is out there working for him.

And you believe Rick why?

I give his comments on this point a bit of credence because he's so gleeful about it, while at the same time being protective of the details. That's his paranoia at work, always strongest when he really does have something to protect. Now, whether the project is very far advanced, that's a totally different question. But I do think he's gotten an artist on a string, gotten at least a pin-up picture and possibly some character designs done. He may have even paid said aspiring artist some nominal amount of money (he has been crowing a bit about having a certain amount of money for recreational spending).

Giving that credence is entirely different from believing that he's bring any of it to a successful conclusion. Knowing how badly he writes, how poorly he manages relationships of any sort, no, I don't think this will really go anywhere. But I do think he's got an artist-fish on his line, alas.

leftwingnutcase
01-20-2012, 06:40 PM
KID. MUMMY. That's about as original as "The Mummy." Oh, that's been done. What about, "The Giant Mummy?" Nope, that's taken, too. Or "The Walking Mummy?" Taken. How's about "The Giant Mummy that Walks Like A Man?" TAKEN, TAKEN, TAKEN!!!

leftwingnutcase
01-20-2012, 07:09 PM
I did a Google and it seems there is no "Kid Mummy" TM. Frankly, I don't think many writers (and certainly NOT Rick Olney) could pull off such a concept without it being very unsettling in the least and emotionally scarring in the worst.

Artful Angie
01-20-2012, 07:21 PM
LeftWingNutCase, wasn't there a kid mummy cartoon character on an old "Munsters" style cartoon years ago? I figured that's where Rick SWIPED the character from, hoping no one would notice that RICK OLNEY CANNOT THINK OF ANY ORIGINAL CHARACTERS.

Either he SWIPED it from there or from that old Monster Cereal, "Yummy Mummy". I miss "Yummy Mummy". And "Fruit Brute".

And Sarah, you're giving Rick too much credit. He's gleeful about anything he thinks he's the emperor king of. How many times has he gleefully boasted about one thing or another? Wasn't 2011 the fifteenth year running that he gleefully told us "was going to be the year where all the trolls see what he's capable of!"? How many cons has he told us with glee were "in the works"? Or his ultra hush hush super duper library comic book project? Or his haunted house idea?

And he doesn't change his socks every day. I know it's been a while since you smelled him, but remember the olfactory sense in one of the strongest in long-term memory retention. Think really hard about him and take a whiff. See? There's that month-old-argyle scent!

I ran a Google search for "Kid Mummy" and found nothing of importance. Because I can't really see anybody working on such a project and not at least putting some sketches or doodles on their own personal website. That's how Rick has gotten tripped up before, if I recall.

Gail Simone
01-20-2012, 10:55 PM
LeftWingNutCase, wasn't there a kid mummy cartoon character on an old "Munsters" style cartoon years ago? I figured that's where Rick SWIPED the character from, hoping no one would notice that RICK OLNEY CANNOT THINK OF ANY ORIGINAL CHARACTERS.

Either he SWIPED it from there or from that old Monster Cereal, "Yummy Mummy". I miss "Yummy Mummy". And "Fruit Brute".

And Sarah, you're giving Rick too much credit. He's gleeful about anything he thinks he's the emperor king of. How many times has he gleefully boasted about one thing or another? Wasn't 2011 the fifteenth year running that he gleefully told us "was going to be the year where all the trolls see what he's capable of!"? How many cons has he told us with glee were "in the works"? Or his ultra hush hush super duper library comic book project? Or his haunted house idea?

And he doesn't change his socks every day. I know it's been a while since you smelled him, but remember the olfactory sense in one of the strongest in long-term memory retention. Think really hard about him and take a whiff. See? There's that month-old-argyle scent!

I ran a Google search for "Kid Mummy" and found nothing of importance. Because I can't really see anybody working on such a project and not at least putting some sketches or doodles on their own personal website. That's how Rick has gotten tripped up before, if I recall.

It's all a rip-off of the not-that-great film Monster Squad. He even had the nerve to call the book the exact same title.

We saw some of the concept art...the artist was talented, but the ideas were terrible, their was a female character called Frankenborg, I kid you not.

Funniest of all, was that just like Tales of The Spooky. He put HIMSELF in the book. He made a pathetically obvious Mary Sue character of himself, and that was the wise magical leader of the team, by the completely unimaginative name, Magnus Grimoire.

The reader in me thought it was hilarious. The writer in me wanted to gouge my brain out at how sad and juvenile it was.

Coppervale Studio
01-21-2012, 01:36 AM
I might just DO a Kid Mummy comic on 24-hour Comics Day, just to have a claim on the trademark. In fact, I'm tempted to do that every year, with whatever dumbass thing he's claiming to be working on while he continues to threaten Tony Isabella with legal doom. One competent creator can generate more decent creative work in one day per year than Rick can per decade. And it IS approaching a decade since he started with all this crap.

Coppervale Studio
01-21-2012, 01:37 AM
The creating comics crap, that is; he's been at the other crap several years longer.

KJ!
01-21-2012, 02:58 AM
I'm sad that we've had to reach 500 pages, but at the same time, am HAPPY that there are enough good people here commited to doing what they can to ensure Olney does as little harm as possible, that don't give up, whatever else gets in their way.

A toast to you good people.

*raises glass of coke zero

(Just pretend it's champagne, okay?)

Glenn Barbis Jr.
01-21-2012, 04:35 AM
Funniest of all, was that just like Tales of The Spooky. He put HIMSELF in the book. He made a pathetically obvious Mary Sue character of himself, and that was the wise magical leader of the team, by the completely unimaginative name, Magnus Grimoire.

Which were both sock puppet names he used on Comicon.com.

JKCarrier
01-21-2012, 05:37 AM

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpZ4BVAbfWs

Tegan
01-21-2012, 06:25 AM
What I don't understand...

...is why you dear and wonderful people are spending so much time responding to a blog that only you read. Wouldn't it be much crueler to ignore his fantasies and rants? All he has left in his miserable life is the recognition you give him. My policy is to deny him that recognition.

I always figured it was to give him something to focus on, so that he had less energy to focus on screwing people. If he's busy getting all excited that people on this thread are actually paying attention to him, it's slightly less likely that he'll go out and find somebody else to scam.

But then, I'm mostly an observer, not a participant.

Gail Simone
01-21-2012, 06:30 AM
I always figured it was to give him something to focus on, so that he had less energy to focus on screwing people. If he's busy getting all excited that people on this thread are actually paying attention to him, it's slightly less likely that he'll go out and find somebody else to scam.

But then, I'm mostly an observer, not a participant.

;)

And we miss you, Aqualass!

Artful Angie
01-21-2012, 06:47 AM
Happy/Un-happy 500 pages, all!

Yeah gail, I remember the movie, and the show. I even remember the old NBC Monster Squad Saturday Morning Live TV Show, which had Fred Grandy has the Mary Sue leader of a group of monst.... Oh, my God! I totally get it now! Rick has been trying to be Fred Grandy from "Monster Squad"!! That means.... dare I say it??

RICK IS GOPHER!!!

Here's a YouTube link. Judge for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuFO5QzT9fw

Haunted Brandon
01-21-2012, 07:07 AM
I might just DO a Kid Mummy comic on 24-hour Comics Day, just to have a claim on the trademark. In fact, I'm tempted to do that every year, with whatever dumbass thing he's claiming to be working on while he continues to threaten Tony Isabella with legal doom.

That's not a bad idea. I would love to see comics with these asinine characters that would actually make some money that could even be donated to those who have been scammed by Olney. Hell I would buy one, maybe even two. :-)