PDA

View Full Version : Rick Olney: Still does not pay freelancers or anyone else.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

leftwingnutcase
09-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Ithacon 36, Part II is tomorrow! Go to www.comicbookclub.org for details! (Oh, yes, we snagged the best URL EVER!!!)

Dragonbat
09-23-2011, 08:53 AM
I didn't see that part Mac. I read about three lines and had to leave (my IQ was actually squealing at the attempt to understand the mangled prose)...

Hmmmmm... I don't think there's been many folks that's actually had 4th stage cancer and survived long to tell about it. So, I'm just gonna have to call BS on the STAGE it was in... (but I won't call BS on the cancer issue... since I don't know for sure... since my own Dad is going through a cancer issue right now... I honestly don't even find the topic palatable).

Hate to play Devil's advocate on that one, but I have a friend diagnosed 3 years ago with stage 4 colon cancer. Chemo was helping for awhile. Unfortunately, that's no longer the case. He's had some pretty serious hospital stays in the last few months. But he's still hanging on, and he's currently out of the hospital and not yet ready for hospice care.

MacQuarrie
09-23-2011, 09:02 AM
I want to make it clear, I am not in any way doubting that Olney has had cancer and been treated for it; nor am I making light of this horrible disease. I'm just calling bullshit on his "stage four" claim. As always, Olney is exaggerating to the point of absurdity.

He can't settle for having met Stan Lee; he has to pretend to be pals.

In about an hour, I am attending the funeral of my friend Earl Kress, a great writer in animation. He wrote many of the best episodes of Animaniacs and Pinky & the Brain, and he was a warm and generous person that I miss a lot. We had lunch together every week for the last couple of years.

His "stage four" saw him barely able to stand up or eat. It lasted a couple of months. There were a couple of brief remissions, weeks when he was strong and had some energy, but they didn't last. I've never heard of anyone whose "stage four" was much different, and can only include that Olney is full of shit. I find his bullshit offensive.

If I could work a deal with God to give him Olney and get Earl back, I would sign it in a second and pay whatever it would cost.

leftwingnutcase
09-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Rick Olney has stage four cancer of the soul. It has left him without a conscience, and unable to care for others.

It has also turned him into a bitter old hypocrite. Richard Olney II, I am ordering you to get off disability and pay back every bit of money you've received from Uncle Sam. You claim to be against social welfare programs and what you call big government. So stop being what I'm sure you'd term a government charity case.

Gail Simone
09-23-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm sorry to hear about people who have lost loved ones to cancer recently. It's a scourge.

Artful Angie
09-23-2011, 09:58 AM
What I don't understand is his shell games with the blogs. He drops the comic con one, but still has his self-publishng one which he hasn't done anything with in months. He drops his political one for no reason whatsoever, then starts updating the new one. But the new one has nothing more than he had on his "my soul has a stopwatch" regular account. Just the same re-hashing of his version of Rick Olney History.

But I'm supposed to believe from the picture that Rick has actual Spider-Man comics in his collection that he actually paid to have graded? That's what I would not have any hesitation calling BS on that. I won't go near the cancer thing because it's too soft a target to say anything about without backlash. But him having graded comics in his "collection"?? If he has any, they were scammed through one of his fake donation ripoffs or outright stolen by him.

Matt Doc Martin
09-23-2011, 10:50 AM
What I don't understand is his shell games with the blogs. He drops the comic con one, but still has his self-publishng one which he hasn't done anything with in months. He drops his political one for no reason whatsoever, then starts updating the new one. But the new one has nothing more than he had on his "my soul has a stopwatch" regular account. Just the same re-hashing of his version of Rick Olney History.

But I'm supposed to believe from the picture that Rick has actual Spider-Man comics in his collection that he actually paid to have graded? That's what I would not have any hesitation calling BS on that. I won't go near the cancer thing because it's too soft a target to say anything about without backlash. But him having graded comics in his "collection"?? If he has any, they were scammed through one of his fake donation ripoffs or outright stolen by him.

And an Amazing Fantasy #15? Good fucking luck with that one.

Matt Doc Martin
09-23-2011, 02:15 PM
One more comment about Rick Olney's not posting any ":troll" comments unless he knows their real name.

Torrential Spirit said...
I'll have a statement on Rick's statement on the this matter within the next 48 hours

Who IS Torrential Spirit? The world may never know....

Cam63
09-23-2011, 04:52 PM
My respects to those affected by cancer.

Even you, Olney.

...but only just.

MacQuarrie
09-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Earl's funeral was beautiful. A lot of people turned out, including many prominent people in animation. What was particularly interesting was how many people talked about his integrity (he was on the board of the Animation Guild for years), his fundamental decency as a human being, and what a good friend he was.

So pretty much the opposite of Rick Olney. I am so glad I got to know Earl over the last couple of years. He's worth 1000 Olneys. Rest in peace, Earl.

Gail Simone
09-23-2011, 06:33 PM
I would really, REALLY like to request that we move off of the subject of Rick's cancer, whether or not it's true or exaggerated, I just don't care. ANY stage of serious cancer is a bitch to deal with.

This is not our place to discuss like this, please.

Matt Doc Martin
09-24-2011, 05:10 AM
I am going to say something that I never thought I would:

Rick Olney CAN write.

Yes, he lacks some understanding of basic sentence structure and proper grammar. But his writing about family usually has a point. Granted, calling someone an asshole for buying a house that his dad never paid taxes on for close to 4 times the original price is a typical Olney slant, but he has the patience at time TO write. And that goes a long ways.

Don't read this wrong...he is a long ways away from being a professional writer, his failure to pay artists aside.

Gail Simone
09-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Matt, Rick's most lucid stuff is the nostalgia stuff, it's when he at least seems to be making a point.

However, it's still horrible. He just can't sling a phrase and his poor understanding of grammar, mixed with a completely confused vocabulary, and a baffling
inability to convey simple ideas make his stuff actually painful to read. He's got that Ed Wood quality where he feels he's conveying something important, but
is doing so with such ineptitude that it's unreadable, ultimately.

It's like an artist who draws people with too many elbows.

Matt Doc Martin
09-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Matt, Rick's most lucid stuff is the nostalgia stuff, it's when he at least seems to be making a point.

However, it's still horrible. He just can't sling a phrase and his poor understanding of grammar, mixed with a completely confused vocabulary, and a baffling
inability to convey simple ideas make his stuff actually painful to read. He's got that Ed Wood quality where he feels he's conveying something important, but

You make my point better than I.

Shurato2099
09-24-2011, 08:55 AM

Don't think I've ever actually seen that one, thank goodness, although J. Torres did make Duela Dent look like Popeye at one point a few years ago.

Coppervale Studio
09-24-2011, 09:48 AM
You can never have too many elbows.

http://pics.livejournal.com/coppervale/pic/000cc7kc

HamsterRage
09-24-2011, 10:12 AM
His writing as well as his reading comprehension in response to criticism comes across as a person with a severe learning disability who's never learned how to compensate.

His inability to create anything from whole cloth that's not blatantly derivative from his characters to his stories, reviews and contracts shows a total lack of effort and imagination. I can't imagine trying to get subtext from his work because he barely understands how to construct text.

It's sad because even if he wasn't a giant scumbag and cheat... he's still a small minded simpleton.

J.R. LeMar
09-24-2011, 11:15 AM
A little blast from the past:

Rick Olney, as quoted by Gail on June 24, 2007 (http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showpost.php?p=5002572&postcount=33900)

"Gail Simone" gathered up the energy to post the following, "I predict right now, that not only will Rick never publish a comic, I predict Orca and the Mighty Mini Con are both dead and gone. He ruined his own reputation far, far too much for the community to ever support him."

"Gail" you deserve to be proven wrong, again, before facing any legal difficulties sure to come your way. So I'll counter your prediction by sharing with my readers and supporters that I'll have two books published before the planned June 2007Mighty Mini-Con, along with the re-introduction of Organized Readers of Comics Associated (ORCA) within fandom, and one last surprise that I'm saving for later this coming spring.
You're a very hate filled person, in my opinion. I feel sorry for you, but no degree of vigilante justice by you and your YABS goon squad will change anything where my personal business dealings are concerned.

J.R. LeMar
09-24-2011, 11:21 AM
And, one more, to remind everyone exactly what kind of person he is, and has been, for several years now. From Ronee Garcia, Olney's PR Rep until she quit after months of non-payment (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=15439), as also quoted by Gail on 6-24-07 (http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showpost.php?p=5002612&postcount=33905)

I honestly thought that Rick was just misunderstood and a little easily distracted but with the best of intentions, and i said that to the few very good friends that tried to warn me (sorry Gail) but honestly, he seemed harmless if not a little over zealous at the time. he plays the sympathy card well, as the deaths in his family evoked my motherly instinct to help fix things and protect him as much as possible. But soon it became clear that he was manipulative and controlling and had no intention of paying even his closest "friends" who were still standing by him.

I don't just cut bait on people, I stick around... try to help. I want to fix the world pretty much. After weeks of fielding emails from unhappy creators, being told it was essentially Chuck's fault I was not being paid, then watching him act the fool on message boards no matter how many times i told him not to even go back...

But the kicker... the thing that did it for me was when I had to call him up literally crying from my moms house in Florida, begging him to pay me something... ANYTHING, I had just found out about my husbands indiscretion and he was moving out, I had to have something to help with the kids and such in the painful transistion ahead and he assured me he was sending two checks.. one 2nd day air to my mothers house, one to my house.

4 days later I left Florida with no check, and my mother pretty much knowing my "boss" was an asshole. For days I called asking if they got mail for me to no avail, all this time Rick swearing it was there and even offered me the tracking number. But when I asked for that number he seemed to have lost it somewhere in his office. Niether check came, and of course it was not his fault. Damn post office... then it was his courier, or some young boy he had helping him at his haunted attraction in october.

I was selfish for asking for what I was rightfully owed if you asked Rick at the time, after all, HIS life was hard.

Classy guy.

J.R. LeMar
09-24-2011, 11:42 AM
He just can't sling a phrase and his poor understanding of grammar, mixed with a completely confused vocabulary, and a baffling

I think the Ed Wood comparison is a perfect analogy. He desperately wants to sound more intelligent and important than he is, so he tries to use complex phrases thinking it's sophisticated. Remember his original Sequential Soul header: "Everyone has life experiences which are based on real life. My words are my shards of sequential life; a trip into shallowness and depth, twisted and made upright by my experiences. Some inane, some funny and, yes, serious ones too. Some will have you doubting my sanity and resolve. For some: I hope I entertain you, maybe give you a chuckle or smile. For others, while in the seedier areas of the comic book entertainment there are still others reading my words who are my haters, so expect ignorance from them when you Google my name. They have so much to learn. This 'sequential soul' thinks they're the dark blight on this hobby and business. Regardless of your motivation, thanks for your reading time!"

I'm sure he thought that was a brilliant introduction to his blog.

And one of my personal favorite gems:

"I put words on paper and in places where the reader can feel comfortable on the plus or negative side."

Also, on a side-note, found this old post from YABS in Sept. 2008, where Clayton Merwin was first mentioned by TheDoc HERE (http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showpost.php?p=7630528&postcount=47176) It seemed to go unnoticed @ the time. He was still working on getting his comic-book project off the ground. It took a couple of years but we see he did eventually accomplish it. Unlike another certain individual who announced multiple projects before and since then which have still not come to pass.

JTPencils
09-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Don't think I've ever actually seen that one, thank goodness, although J. Torres did make Duela Dent look like Popeye at one point a few years ago.

Just take a gander at any Kelley Jones work... tends to toss in anatomy that no one in the world has...

Matt Doc Martin
09-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Just take a gander at any Kelley Jones work... tends to toss in anatomy that no one in the world has...

Like Liefeld?

HamsterRage
09-24-2011, 03:26 PM

Or Kirby, Sam Kieth, McFarlane, Larsen, etc.

Those guys and most other conic artists know the rules and then break them to fit they're style.

This Leal guys hasn't a clue and if he ever gets out and realizes what kind off guy Olney is. I fear for Olney.

Artful Angie
09-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Okay, just a few choice comments about his "writing"...

We had moved from Utica to the quaint village of Yorkville; a suburb of Utica to its west with, with Whitesboro, Oriskany, Stanwix Heights and Rome to Yorkville's west...along with Sylvan Beach further out.

To the south of Yorkville was New York Mills (where I attended school), New Hartford, Washington Mills, Chadwicks and Saquoit.

To the east was Utica, Frankfort, Ilion, Mohawk, and Herkimer.

To the north was Marcy, Deerfield, Trenton, Barneveld, Remsen, Kayuta Lake, Alder Creek, Forestport, Woodgate (with Boonville off to the north west).

To the south west of New Hartford was Clinton, Deansboro, and Franklin Springs.

My point. I had bicycled to each of them before my 16th birthday. I went there for the adventure and to scout out comic book buying sites.

Okay, for starters this isn't writing, this is Google Earth.

And I'm calling Bullshit on his biking to all these locations. As a lifelong resident of The Mohawk Valley, I'm entitled to say Rick is talking out of his ass if he expects me to believe he rode his bike as far north as Forestport. This isn't Stand By Me, Rick. And you sure as Hell are not Wil Wheaton. You're barely human enough to pass as fat Jerry O'Connell.

Folks, go take a look at a topographical map of Route 12 North of Utica. Then tell me you think pre-16 yr old Rick made that journey on his Schwinn.

BULLSHIT

Yorkville was (then) predominantly populated by people of Polish heritage. I had many friends, male and female who were Polish. Many had families only a generation back that had fled Poland before, during, and after World War II and the Nazi occupation. I made it my interest to get the broken English and Polish accent along with good and bad words down.

Wait a minute.. You "made it your interest" to get the accent down?!? So, rather than try to learn the language like a normal person might do, you were only interested in speaking English but with a Polish accent??? And only learning "good and bad words"?

And wouldn't good writing be that you "made it your business", as the saying goes? As in "I made it my business to try to mock the Polish community by talking like them".

And you "had many friends, male and female, who were Polish". You write that as if there's a third option we're not aware of.

Okay, his next paragraph just rambles, as does this one after that...

I helped Dad even back then a little. And in the end, in 2005, after struggling to keep himself from a declining business since his cerebral brain bleed ten years earlier in 1995 which he survived except for vision acuity problems. Man, but he was a person that didn't give up easily. I got it from him, I'm sure. God certainly listened to my prayers that time period. Anyway, the cellar was his work shop (on the Calder Ave. side of the house) and the customer entrance and exit was on the front of the house (Myers Ave. side) where our living room was turned into his business showroom and customer service area.

From an English Lit point of view, does it seems like the second sentence kind of got away from him a bit?

Okay. Ramble, ramble, ramble... then..

The chestnut tree was a beauty and was taken by the new owner after Mom and Dad lost their home of nearly 60yrs. from unpaid taxes. Dad fell behind, kept it a secret from the one person that may have been able to maybe help him until too late and fell into denial. The new owner was a real asshole (sorry, no other descriptive comes to mind) and is, as I continue to hear, a real 'winner' as the Village leaders get laughs out of him behind his back. This man also bought that first house on the corner. Mom and Dad paid $6,200.00 dollars for that all back in 1962. That asshole stole it at a county auction for 22k and back taxes. Still a steal. I suppose it is bad of me to disparage the man. He now has a distnction of a Village Trustee. Wonder how many old Village trustees are rolling over in their graves? is my bitterness showing...

Not paying bills?? Denial?? Insults towards a person with more ability to handles things going on with their life and are more successful?? Hmm... Looks like "giving up easily" isn't the only thing he got from his Dad. His own words, folks.

And to my Dad's credit -- He said that Yorkville would roll downhill like a snowball picking up speed faster than Hell after he was gone. He was right. And after 50+ years of having his business paying monies to them in support of the Volunteer Fire Depart and Police Department, along with being the one to take care of each of the Mayor's personal machines and the Village ... it only seems like his only competition in the appliance business ... ended up being Mayor. And with that other trustee, as the saying goes to what a Monkey sees when he looks at hos balls and how it goes; There's a pair for you.

This is probably long and boring, but it indicates the life I had back then. I learned how to frame and do drywall. 'Course the kid in me always found time to read, and play with my little toy soldiers and any sort of toy trucks when I had free time. I had a couple good friends and a best friend named Dave Berkman that is now deceased, but a truer friend a man could not have asked for. More than a few stories there for future sharing.

Yes, there was always leaves to be raked up, cedar trees to trimed and cleaned up from, apples and chestnuts to be picked up and hauled up north for the animals. I still find it easy to slip into the hazy moments of peaceful reflection. With Yorkville now looking to finally have the west Utica 'blight' creep in and overtake it ... it all seems sadly timely.

Ahh. That sounds more like Rick Olney English for you. "I wanted to tell you this wonderful story about this amazing place so I can tell you how much I think it's a piece of shit now! And I'm right!"

Rick, you could have just summed it, and you, up with that one line...

This is probably long and boring, but it indicates the life I had back then.

Still do, Rick. Still do...

Glenn Barbis Jr.
09-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Posted for posterity...

"To Leftwingnutcase: Get a life, loser!
Blah, blah, blah, blah...

Rick Olney has stage four cancer of the soul. It has left him without a conscience, and unable to care for others.

It has also turned him into a bitter old hypocrite. Richard Olney II, I am ordering you to get off disability and pay back every bit of money you've received from Uncle Sam. You claim to be against social welfare programs and what you call big government. So stop being what I'm sure you'd term a government charity case.

You make me laugh. Like you are an authoritative figure of some sort. Hahahahaha!!
Hate to disappoint you, Leftnut. I'm a far way from bitter. I'm not on any sort of disability and getting no monies from Uncle Sam. I'm not on any social welfare programs either. I pay my own way for everything I want or need.

And to Artful Angie -- You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground. Everything I've written is true and happened. In my teen years, I actually rode from Yorkville to Woodgate three times. Twice I rode back to Yorkville. One time upon getting to Woodgate, we then rode over to Boonville and back. And, yes, I have bicycled to each of those towns and villages as a kid. Those trips I had friends with me, so you can say what you want ... but for sure, you're the coward that has no balls. No strength of character. A simple troll looking for attention.

I may not be capable of writing to the degree that you and others like, but this is still America. Your reading ability is what is more important. And the way I figure it, long as I keep writing and jerk-offs like you keep commenting, I'm entertaining you.

Me? Not part of the comic book entertainment industry? You've all assured that I have a place within it. "

Dance monkey, dance.

JTPencils
09-25-2011, 11:15 AM
He's got a place in the comic industry akin to John Wilkes Booth having a place in the acting industry... NOT exactly what he was hoping to be remembered for.

As for "jerk-offs like you" bothering to read his barely there English... it's not because we're being entertained... it's because we're assuring he never scams anyone again. As to the "entertainment" value of it? I think I'd rather watch paint dry!

Artful Angie
09-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Rick's place isn't in the comic industry. It's on the outside looking in at people like Gail, Tony, and Stan Lee. It's standing at the window crying and being jealous of their actual deeds, and wishing he could have gotten to the same place without actually having the talent, or doing any hard work for it. Because short cuts have always worked for him his whole life. Why not now?

"Everything I wrote it true! I was twelve! And had friends bike with me! And we went to go look at this body we heard about! And my father stormed the beaches at Normandy!!! And I'm taking my 8 year old memories to crap on the places I mentioned today because they are mean to me! Then I'm taking my ball and going home!!"

"Then I'll talk to my only friend, my teddy bear I call Stan Lee. And I'll talk to it in an accent!"

As for his entertainment value, you have no idea how true your words are when you say you ARE entertaining us. Just like a monkey in a fez.

Artful Angie
09-25-2011, 12:34 PM
And I love how he tries to go from his diatribe about how we are all asshole trolls, to trying to sound nostalgic about JFK, his grandfather, apple pie, and the death of all his childhood holidays.

"I'll write an incredibly long rambling mess of a blog about the death of my childhood woefully too soon! Let's see them rip that to shreds, because anybody who insults a simple working-class Joe talking about his feelings for Kennedy and his grandfather is simply a mean-spirited soulless troll!"

But getting back to your rant at Leftwingnutcase and me, I'll grab the fire extinguisher for for your Levis, Ricky.

See, here's how it works in America:

if you DON'T have a job, you DON'T have a paycheck. You NEED MONEY to buy goods or services, no matter what your convention-organizing experiences may have led you to believe. You GET MONEY BY HAVING A JOB.

Otherwise, you can:

1) Get the money from your spouse or other family members for her hard work. This is called "being a deadbeat".
2) Obtain money you're eligible for through state and federal programs. For you, this would be called "being a freeloader". For actual Cancer survivors and other people unable to provide for themselves this is called "welfare", or as I prefer to call it "Community Support". It takes the many to help the few, and if you're entitled to it, there's no shame in using it.
3) Using the money you already had by NOT paying your debts and ignoring the constant pleas of the people you owe money to. This is called "Being Rick Olney".

So if you complain about #2 on... say, I don't know... some beans and pork-slinging blog, then take that same option for your money, enjoy your government cheese, hippocrite. No, that wasn't a typo.

We already know how you feel about #3. And #1 just means this is why you post about your childhood so much, AND why you can't afford to pay bills at Ravenswood right away when you bounce checks there.

Mommy Barbara gives you a very small allowance.

Tom Stillwell
09-25-2011, 01:41 PM
I had really nice time catching up with Tony Isabella at Detroit FanFare. I even had a chance to meet Avrell Jones. He was a very nice man glad to be free of anything to do with Rick Olney.

But I feel really bad for Tony. You can tell the weight of the legal trouble Olney has sworn to visit upon him these many years is such a heavy burden to bear. I don't know how Tony sleeps at night with Rick's crack legal teams moving forth justice at such a glacial pace.

MacQuarrie
09-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Submitted without comment.

http://www.topix.net/forum/city/jordanville-ny/TA782171LDF103GDU

HamsterRage
09-25-2011, 03:02 PM

Hahahahahahaha!

Artful Angie
09-25-2011, 03:43 PM

I asked MohawkMom what money Rick owes her in the forum. Let's see what the response is.

Cam63
09-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Richard will die owing.

That's a safer bet than snow falling in Darwin in December.

JTPencils
09-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Richard will die owing.

That's a safer bet than snow falling in Darwin in December.

And his epitaph will probably be "You trolls, haters and schlubbers... I'm going to get you yet... you wait... I'll show you.. gee it's hot here..."

Gail Simone
09-25-2011, 04:41 PM
I can't believe that even after all these years, every time you mention Rick's name, it's because he owes someone money.

HamsterRage
09-25-2011, 05:04 PM
I find it funny Rick going on about how he pays his own way... Um no he doesn't.

Also notice how he's suddenly ignoring the fact that he has stolen maps from Licasfilm

Gail Simone
09-25-2011, 05:45 PM
But he swore he was going to make a statement about the maps in twenty four hours! And Rick never lies except all the time!

Shurato2099
09-25-2011, 05:48 PM
But he swore he was going to make a statement about the maps in twenty four hours! And Rick never lies except all the time!

Dear gods! That would make the odds of that oath being a lie ... carry the fish ... 1-to-1! Unity!

BTW, Gail, check your mail when you get a chance, please?

Gail Simone
09-26-2011, 03:29 AM
Quoted without comment:

MohawkMom

Herkimer, NY

Reply »
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Friday Sep 23

I know his current phone number and email address, but he won't answer those either. If he owes you money like he does me--good luck!

Tony Isabella
09-26-2011, 05:13 AM
It was great catching up with Tom at the Detroit FanFare...and being thanked by people for warning them about and helping them with Olney...and seeing old friends like John Ostrander, Al Milgrom, Larry Hama, Tom Orzechowski, Alex Saviuk, and many more. The show was great fun for me. I'll be blogging about it later this week.

Matt Doc Martin
09-26-2011, 05:23 AM
If you are Rick Olney, and it is THIS easy to find people that dislike you, and you owe money to, either pay them or disappear from the internet.

Gail Simone
09-26-2011, 05:52 AM
It was great catching up with Tom at the Detroit FanFare...and being thanked by people for warning them about and helping them with Olney...and seeing old friends like John Ostrander, Al Milgrom, Larry Hama, Tom Orzechowski, Alex Saviuk, and many more. The show was great fun for me. I'll be blogging about it later this week.

Well, don't keep us in suspense...have you been sued and punched out by Rick Olney yet?

HamsterRage
09-26-2011, 06:48 AM
Oh man... I might have just found one of the worst things Rick Olney has ever done. Blech. What a disgusting human being.

Artful Angie
09-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Oh man... I might have just found one of the worst things Rick Olney has ever done. Blech. What a disgusting human being.

Do we dare ask what it is, Rage?

Glenn Barbis Jr.
09-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Jeez...now he's gone and already deleted his rant against 'leftwingnut' & 'Angie." Too bad the coward can't "stand" by anything he posts, unless it's a worthless rant against the "haters, trolls, bullies, or boogeymen" that are always out to get him.

HamsterRage
09-26-2011, 07:25 AM
false alarm. Nothing to see here.

Tony Isabella
09-26-2011, 07:42 AM
Gail...no lawsuit, no physical attack. Oh, the suspense is killing me.

Just lots of fun with old friends and new, good comics talk with many many people, good sales at my table, lots of signing of things I've written, an interview for a Canadian TV show, strange and wondrous adventures that I'll either write about in my blog or turn into short comics stories.

Man, I'm gonna miss all that when Olney ruins my life.

Glenn Barbis Jr.
09-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Just lots of fun with old friends and new, good comics talk with many many people, good sales at my table, lots of signing of things I've written, an interview for a Canadian TV show, strange and wondrous adventures that I'll either write about in my blog or turn into short comics stories.

AAAH...the life of a crumb-catcher! I'm jealous!!!

Artful Angie
09-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Jeez...now he's gone and already deleted his rant against 'leftwingnut' & 'Angie." Too bad the coward can't "stand" by anything he posts, unless it's a worthless rant against the "haters, trolls, bullies, or boogeymen" that are always out to get him.

I didn't expect it to stay up there long, Glenn. I called him out on yet another of his BS claims. He expected me to believe he biked in the early 60s from Yorkville to Woodgate? That's a little over 35 miles, using early 60s bikes, done on roads less developed than now which, by his own rant from yesterday, people drove 65 miles an hour over. And that's not even considering that 35 miles is up and down really steep hills. And then tried to defend it by saying he had friends go along with him on this 70-mile excursion that no one bothered to get upset about??

Personally, I think Rick just wanted to throw something on his blog for people to say "aww" about because he's feeling sorry for himself at screwing up yet another convention attempt. So he saw "Stand By Me" was on TV last week and said "I could do that! Just watch!"

And as for his rant about being on Goverment programs, then railing against them. Well, what do you expect from Rick Olney, if you don't expect him to out-right lie??

Jim Ritchey
09-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Physical threat by Olney?
That'd be like bein' attacked by a shaved Ewok with Skunk DNA.
I'd be more afraid of getting the smell off than any actual violence--I gots a foot of reach on him. :)

JTPencils
09-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Tony, I don't know how you're sleeping at night with all that frothy anger coming at you from RO!

Sounds to me like he WAS there... and he WAS going to approach you... but then he saw you cavorting with those other hacks and wannabe's... and figured you'd all just gang up on him... so instead, he swiped as much swag as he could from the freebie table... and cleared out of there.

Then again... most likely... he couldn't go because of some malady or contrived excuse...

Which do YOU think it was?

SarahBeach
09-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Oh, man, and he calls it "writing."

John Kennedy was not unknown to me prior to his assassination. Even as a youngster, I'd be drawn to listening to the radio addresses and news coverage. Television also made it easy to watch the news, and I often did with my Dad.

Gee, Rick, I know you'd have been, what? About ten at the time JFK died? But even ten-year-olds can name the then-current President of the United States. "Was not unknonwn to me...." The only way you can really pull that line off was if you'd actually MET JFK. Otherwise, you ought to say something like "I was only ten, but I knew who JFK was."

He opens with that, and then all it does is mark the period. Nothing really about what JFK meant to him. Just a strange passing reference to having had a "JFK moment" on a flight from California to Chicago -- though he gives us no indication of what that moment was about (though it might be connected to his grandfather's health -- but he's not clear).

Sorry, I can't help it, guys. I was revising a chapter of my novel yesterday. So, my "inner editor" is default mode right now.

I got great notes from a writers' group on a different chapter of my novel on Saturday. Had a great time at an archery picnic with CAPS colleagues (Rick -- that would be the Comic Arts Professional Society, just so you know), led by Jim MacQuarrie, who coached the artists who didn't know how to shoot. It was a lot of fun -- I hadn't been on the range in months, so it was good to get my equipment out again and do some shooting (but oh, out of practice I was!). I was at a Bible study last night, sponsered by a fellowhip of entertainment industry professionals, and afterward we hung out at a 24 hour diner nearby talking some more (the teacher used to be the showrunner for The Equalizer).

I was, you see, having an actual life over the weekend, so I missed all Ricky's posts. I glanced at his nostalgia outpourings ... and I keep wondering, "Is this paragraph going somewhere? Is he going to tie this story to some point he wants to make?" And it never happens. You'd think I'd learn after five years of this stuff, but I keep expecting a through line (besides "Look at me"). But then, I've been training myself as a writer since I was in junior high school (although, now that I think of it, I wrote my first story in fourth grade).

Oh, and hey, guys! MY BOOK (http://www.scribblersguidetomyth.com) is now on Kindle! Yay! For less than half the cost of the hard copy! Buy, buy, buy! :D

Jim Ritchey
09-26-2011, 11:38 AM
John Kennedy was not unknown to me prior to his assassination. Even as a youngster, I'd be drawn to listening to the radio addresses and news coverage. Television also made it easy to watch the news, and I often did with my Dad.

My variation:

John Kennedy was not unbeknownst to me, prior to his assassination, and even at an early age, I suspected he might be President. With my superior mind, I was drawn to listening to the radio addresses and news coverage, sometimes having something to do with John Kennedy, or the President, maybe. Television made it much easier to watch the news than radio. My Dad and I would try to watch the news on the radio, but Television made it much more watchable.

Man, I have to force myself to write like that. How does he do it? It's like he's never heard the English Language spoken. Does he think it makes him sound smart or poetic? Maybe that's the way everything he reads that's over his head seems to him...bloated, pretentious, florid and unintelligible--?

Yay, Sarah, on the book!!!!

JTPencils
09-26-2011, 11:40 AM
All that and yer just plugging yer book... shame Ms Beach!!! LOL!

Actually... if RO ever strings two sentences together that make a logical point at all... I'll be shocked.

Sounds like you were having a good time "enjoying an actual life"... good for you!

"John Kennedy was not unknown to me prior to his assassination. Even as a youngster, I'd be drawn to listening to the radio addresses and news coverage. Television also made it easy to watch the news, and I often did with my Dad. " - RO

to be honest... I was waiting for him to regale us with tales of he knew Kennedy personally... ya know... like he did with Lee and Lucas... and for that... I was ready to sound off with my BS detector magic decoder ring!!!

Tony Isabella
09-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Tony, I don't know how you're sleeping at night with all that frothy anger coming at you from RO!

I just shiver from fear until I'm so exhausted I pass out.

Or not.

leftwingnutcase
09-26-2011, 12:45 PM
All his terrible writing brings me back to this gem. When Micheal Kellar's attorney and Micheal himself sent the Cease and Desist, Rick Olney replied:

“I have previously made myself very clear about when any previously, contractually agreed names are concerned, shall be removed. Kindly stop wasting your time and mine. No further contact from you shall be read or replied to by me, personally, I assume that you can be dealt with through Mr. Clayton Murwin’s personal and corporate attorney of record. Thank you.”

>sigh< Where to begin...

previously made myself very clear about when any previously

Rick, are you so inept that you think you'll sound more important if you post the same "big" word twice in a row? Of course you are. Inept that is.

previously, contractually agreed names are concerned, shall be removed

Ooh, needless comma splicing! We're shaking in our liberal, elitist loafers. By the way, I've read the contract, and it was such a forgery, and so inappropriate to your needs and others', and so nonbinding, that you may as well have used a Jackson Pollack painting. It would have had the same amount of relevance to your con.

Kindly stop wasting your time and mine.

He clearly wasn't wasting your time or his, since you pulled his name. Whereas your team of beagles, or leagles, or whatever certainly seem to be wasting their time.

No further contact from you shall be read or replied to by me, personally,

This should be ended by a semi-colon, because the next part is in the same topic, but can stand on its own.

I assume that you can be dealt with through Mr. Clayton Murwin’s personal and corporate attorney of record.

Why? Why are you assuming this? Kellar's lawyer sends something to you and your response is that his lawyer is fake? Project much?

Thank you.

No thank you, Richard Olney II, for being Exhibit A in my and others' ongoing efforts to pump more money (yes, Rick, money singular) into the education system.

Matt Doc Martin
09-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Oh, and hey, guys! MY BOOK (http://www.scribblersguidetomyth.com) is now on Kindle! Yay! For less than half the cost of the hard copy! Buy, buy, buy! :D

Too late...Already have hard copy.

Blake Petit
09-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Too late...Already have hard copy.

So do I, but I also have a Kindle and I'm tempted to pick this electronic version up for the ease of transport and reference... Also, I'd then feel more at-ease lending my other copy to fellow writers who could use the advice.

Gail Simone
09-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Dear Rick,

Being 'famous' for all bad things is nothing to be proud of. You're also famous for your many, many failures. It takes an idiot to try to spin that into a positive.

And we know who Michael W. Kellar is and he already told me of what you're going to publish, and no one cares. Good luck with it, though. I'm sure it'll help
your NEXT massive failure to know that you are trying to smear another creator.

Artful Angie
09-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Acctually Gail, I'm curious as to what he'll publish. Only because I don't want to be sucking on a chicken bone when I read it, and have the mere smell of his bullshit from his writing make me choke on it.

And Rick in his own sense of self-inflated ego can't get his puny mind around the fact that being "famous" can also be a bad thing.

Example:

Hitler
Ghengis Khan
Ted Bundy
The 9/11 Terrorists
The BTK Killer
Charles Manson
The Green River Killer
Jeffrey Dahmer

Rick, these people are "famous". People know who they are. But does that mean people want them over for tea and crumpets? No. "Famous" is a double-edged blade, dumbass.

You still just don't get it, do you?? This is pure RO, folks. He's the kind of guy that is absolutely convinced when he walks down the street that every beautiful woman he sees wants him and every guy wants to be him. It doesn't even enter his puny brain that when people look at him and that look lingers a extra second that they're not thinking "What a guy!".

Every man, woman, and small child is saying to themselves, "That's that deadbeat Rick Olney everybody tells me about. The guy who doesn't pay his bills, hates small children of artists he owes money to, and what is that God-awful odor?!?! What a guy!"

HamsterRage
09-26-2011, 06:02 PM
As much as I loathe Olney... I think you're going too far with those comparisons dude.

Shurato2099
09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Ghengis Khan

You leave poor Temujin out of this!

Deegan
09-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Comparing Rick's ego to horrific maniacs and killers.

Why do this? I mean really now.

JTPencils
09-26-2011, 07:31 PM
I'd be more interested in what Michael Kellar told Gail. Oh no!! That breaks the ironclad NDA if he's discussed the next oncoming project from the mind of RO, doesn't it? Seriously though... is it more Mary Sue type characters and rip off of others works? Has he finally come up with an original idea? What what what?

As much as I'm sure I"d never read it... I'd certainly be interested in finding out what sort of stupid idea he's come up with NEXT! It's a bit like watching Dick Dastardly... you KNOW he's going to fail... but watching it happen can be mildly amusing.

Gail Simone
09-26-2011, 08:04 PM
It's just Olney being a petty, vindictive little piece of garbage, as always. He had a scam going, Michael helped prevent it, Rick wants to hurt him, same thing as always.

When Michael and the other folks were first going to go to Rick's convention, Rick had told them a ton of bullshit they had no reason to doubt. They thought Rick was being
picked on by a mob of jerks, because that's Rick, and you know how he plays the victim card like the world's worst welfare cheat.

So they believed it, and Michael thought it was unfair and said some mean things about it, including some mean things about me.
The fact that I have known all of this for ages shows what kind of man Michael is. He felt terrible about it, he explained it all to me immediately,
and apologized many, many times. This is what Rick is trying to hold over Michael.

Sorry, Rick. Michael already told me all about it and I couldn't care less. The fact that he had the guts to stand up and admit his behavior and apologize
just makes me respect him. Feel free, post what you like. I'm sure Michael and his friends kept their emails from you as well, that should
be some hilarious reading, in light of yet another failure and all the facts that have come to light.

Feel free. Just more evidence of the kind of person you are.

MacQuarrie
09-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Acctually Gail, I'm curious as to what he'll publish. Only because I don't want to be sucking on a chicken bone when I read it, and have the mere smell of his bullshit from his writing make me choke on it.

And Rick in his own sense of self-inflated ego can't get his puny mind around the fact that being "famous" can also be a bad thing.

Example:
{snip}
More apt comparisons:

"CHAKA," the most prolific street-tagger in LA history. A worthless little vandal who couldn't create anything so he scrawled his name on thousands of walls, bridges, buses, billboards and whatever else he could find.

Konrad Kujau, the forger who write the famous "Hitler Diaries."

Cassie Chadwick, a woman who frequently pretended to be Andrew Carnegie's illegitimate daughter in order to get loans.

F. Bam Morrison, who conned the town of Wetumka, Oklahoma by promoting a circus that never came.

Charles Dawson, an amateur British archeologist who claimed to have found the Piltdown man.

Artful Angie
09-27-2011, 12:08 AM
As much as I loathe Olney... I think you're going too far with those comparisons dude.

No no, Rage. I wasn't putting Rick in the same category as them. I was pointing out to him that the concept of being famous isn't always a good thing. People can be infamous for horrific deeds, but in Rick's strange mind it's "Hey! They're talking about me so I must be cool!"

What Price Fame?

Certainly, when someone is as gossiped and written about over the years (as say, moi) in such small minds and circles, there must be fame attached. Heh, heh...

Posted by Rick Olney

Artful Angie
09-27-2011, 12:31 AM
And now his new entry:

1965: A Year of Growth, Mistakes, and the Golden Age

Hey there! First, let me apologize to the few that have stated they are 'tortured' in reading my writing. Isn't it clear that I'm not like you? Besides, nobody dragged you here kicking and screaming. Can't fathom what I'm saying then shuffle off to someplace else. I guarantee you that you won't be missed.

Rick, you're right. Your not like us. We pay our debts. There are some of us here who are ACTUAL comic professionals, and they are respected in the industry.

And it isn't can't we can't fathom what you say. It's just the awful smearing of letters you call "writing" that we can't stomach.

I'm going to post his latest blithering in its entirety. I apologize for this in advance. Those of you who are easily nauseated by amateur writing should turn away quickly:

And now back to 1965...

I was eleven years old in 1965. The fall earlier my grandfather had died, and we were in full swing of continuing our building projects in Yorkville and Woodgate. The snow melted and I soon learned that I had achieved nothing short of major domo status where foundation trenches and removing rocks and even boulders was concerned. It was hard work and frankly, I began to feel a little unappreciated. Well, maybe a better word was taken for granted. It was probably just life around me that changed and its effect upon me. I didn't work less. I just wanted more. More of everything. So I did just that! I went after more.

Before getting into that though, let me tell you that I'm also sure that my dad changed after his father died. I can tell you that thinking back to my 11th year of life and I can also attest to it after the loss of my own father in 2007. It happens, I guess...

Those next couple years began my young and stupid period. I did stupid things to balance off the sensible things I had to do. Was it a form of rebelling? I'm not sure. We all do a stupid thing now and again in growing up. I did stupid things like stealing comic books. I have never approached this subject publicly from a bragging point of view. I am actually still rather ashamed even at this late stage of my life. Maybe I was acting out over anger from the loss of my grandfather. I probably won't know until my own life turns the corner. Anyway, decades later for whatever reason, I'd start a neighborhood comic book club for kids and announce publicly at schools and in libraries that I'd stolen comics as a youngster. Something mischievous drove my hunger to read back then at eleven years of age. Something further more identified that the comic book was slipping from its place of entertaining value with younger readers in the early 1980s. Comics were harder to find. So I'd share some of my adventures.

We were readers. What did we know. Heh, heh...

The value of believing in the ethic of superheroes, albeit imaginary ones, also began seeping away in America. We allowed it to be traded for the wide swath of greed, in my opinion. The comic book entertainment 'industry' was gaining ground and small press and independent comic projects were trumpeted at the expense of corporate created comic books. It wasn't even enough to simple call them comic books anymore. The overly intelligent liberal types got a kick out of tagging them 'floppies' and then 'pamphlets' ... as everyone was looking to get their name in fan publications like the Comics Buyer's Guide and The Comics Journal. And yeah, I also fell prey to those mindsets as I matured to a point in time. I'd come to tout them all to my young charges. And as Organized Readers of Comics Association grew in membership number it outdated itself and couldn't keep up.

That's how it all began for me, a typical baby boomer absorbing all the diverse pop culture influences. My imaginations were opened and filled with wholesome imagery which showed nobility, dignity, and heroism. How important those early years before puberty were in setting the tone of one's life.

At 11 years of age, I had a regular 'route' that I followed daily. I'd rush home from school off the bus and hop on my bike. I usually had a couple hours to peddle over into Utica and stop at a number of Barbershops. I had gotten to know the owners, and back then every barbershop had a magazine pile that had comics mixed in with it. I'd offer to sweep the floors and put out the trash for the barber and, in turn, I got to look down through the comics they had and help myself. On Saturday, when we didn't go north to camp, I'd follow a different route which took me to several drug stores with spin racks, and variety stores offering both old and new comics. I've only stolen from three different stores in my life back then as a kid. Never made any bones about it either. Even had other kids try to bother me on my route, so occasionally, I'd have to fight to get my 'right' to be in their neighborhood. With that came making friends sometimes. Even now, I wonder sometime how I got away with it all for that next 14-16 months. I mean, kids today do not do half the things that we did back then! I was always out playing, working to earn money, or experiencing life on the level of a pre-teen. Not like it is today. 'Course, I know now that it was all fueled by loss, hurt, excitement, and wanting more to replace what I felt then was lost to me.

1965 was the year that the Golden Age of comic books entered my life. I was fairly lucky and skilled at gathering comics from the 1960s, skirting around the fringe. I had three separate 'things' ... adventures really, which happened those next couple of years that caused me to have an everlasting taste of what Golden Age comics were all about. I'll share those three stories next.

So now that his writing is posted, let me go back to editing down to just the useful bits:

I began to feel a little unappreciated. It was probably just life around me that changed and its effect upon me. I probably won't know until my own life turns the corner. I just wanted more. More of everything. Those next years began my stupid period. I did stupid things like stealing comic books. I have approached this subject publicly from a bragging point of view. I've stolen from different stores in my life. Even had other kids try to bother me on my route, so occasionally, I'd have to fight to get my 'right' to be in their neighborhood.

Even now, I wonder sometimes how I got away with it all.

Fixed it for him.

JTPencils
09-27-2011, 02:22 AM
I was fairly lucky and skilled at gathering comics from the 1960s, skirting around the fringe, and the guy at the front counter who was expecting to get paid for them.

Fixed it for him.

Michael W. Kellar
09-27-2011, 04:14 AM
It's just Olney being a petty, vindictive little piece of garbage, as always. He had a scam going, Michael helped prevent it, Rick wants to hurt him, same thing as always.

When Michael and the other folks were first going to go to Rick's convention, Rick had told them a ton of bullshit they had no reason to doubt. They thought Rick was being picked on by a mob of jerks, because that's Rick, and you know how he plays the victim card like the world's worst welfare cheat.

So they believed it, and Michael thought it was unfair and said some mean things about it, including some mean things about me.
The fact that I have known all of this for ages shows what kind of man Michael is. He felt terrible about it, he explained it all to me immediately,
and apologized many, many times. This is what Rick is trying to hold over Michael.

Sorry, Rick. Michael already told me all about it and I couldn't care less. The fact that he had the guts to stand up and admit his behavior and apologize just makes me respect him. Feel free, post what you like. I'm sure Michael and his friends kept their emails from you as well, that should be some hilarious reading, in light of yet another failure and all the facts that have come to light.

Feel free. Just more evidence of the kind of person you are.

Yes, I admit, I was fooled by Rick Olney and yes, I did say some very nasty things about Gail.

Once I opened my eyes and took to the internet and researched, I realized how much of a fool I was and immediately contacted Gail via Facebook PM and explained everything to her and apologized over and over for being so foolish and making nasty comments about her.

I am honored to be able to call Gail Simone and everyone on this thread a friend, even if it is over the internet.
One day we wil all meet up at a convention, hangout and share stories.

Yes, I have every email and Facebook message from Rick Olney saved for future reference should the need arise like a Black Lantern!

Matt Doc Martin
09-27-2011, 04:57 AM
I did stupid things like stealing comic books.

Now, he just steals the work from the artists. It is like he cut out the middleman!

Gail Simone
09-27-2011, 05:21 AM
Why is it every story from his past ends up with him feeling resentful that people don't appreciate him?

He's the exact same way now. Jesus, who acts that way as a grown-up? Sometimes we have to do things that
are for OTHER PEOPLE, not to hear how wonderful we are. 90% of the things I do for others are never mentioned
again, even the OTHERS might not know about it.

If you only do right to get praise, you're a jerk.

Also, it's disgusting to hear this deadbeat talk about the ethics of comics and how they are about greed, one breath after
saying he was an habitual thief. Way to learn the lesson there, Sparky.

Deegan
09-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Man, I would have liked an update on those maps by now. Indiana Jones was a childhood hero of mine, and if Matt ever gets them back, I'd gladly buy one for charity.

Gail Simone
09-27-2011, 05:43 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping we hear from Matt that the maps are back safe and sound. But if there's a scumbag move that can be made, Rick will always go that route.

HamsterRage
09-27-2011, 05:45 AM
Quite frankly, I think they're nothing more boring than talking about Olney's biography blog.

While Olney fails over and over again... I'm working at my desk on new Hamster Rage stuff today and I'll be placing new copies of #1 in some local stores today.

Sarah's book is out. Scott Reed continues to do great work. Gail and Tony's careers continue to thrive. Tom Stillwell had Underneath funded on Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/522162244/underneath

And there sits Rick Olney... all alone with his broken promises, stolen maps, burned bridges and ruined life.

Gail Simone
09-27-2011, 05:50 AM
Well, that may be true, HamsterRage, but let's not forget that Rick has one thing we will NEVER have...a closet full of sweaty, stained THING t-shirts!

JTPencils
09-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Well, that may be true, HamsterRage, but let's not forget that Rick has one thing we will NEVER have...a closet full of sweaty, stained THING t-shirts!

So his only success is avoiding laundry day?

Shurato2099
09-27-2011, 06:36 AM

So, no laundry facilities at the Olney house ... :)

BTW, Gail, your mailbox here looks to be full. My PM is getting all crinkly from trying to wedge it in! :)

NatGertler
09-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Once I opened my eyes and took to the internet and researched, I realized how much of a fool I was and immediately contacted Gail via Facebook PM and explained everything to her and apologized over and over for being so foolish and making nasty comments about her. What? You made an error in judgment, realized you did so, and addressed the situation honestly and made amends?

That's unpossible!

Artful Angie
09-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Man, I would have liked an update on those maps by now. Indiana Jones was a childhood hero of mine, and if Matt ever gets them back, I'd gladly buy one for charity.

Yeah, I'm hoping we hear from Matt that the maps are back safe and sound. But if there's a scumbag move that can be made, Rick will always go that route.

That must be it! It's the only Olney Logical solution!

This long drawn out autobiography of Rick's IS his annoucement about Matt and the maps. In true RO fashion, we have to wade through his shameless self-promoting before we get to his point.

So the good news is we only half about 4 and a half more decades of his stealing, lying, flipping photographers off, bumbling around waiting to finally kiss a girl, marrying Barbara (Or should those last two be switched around??), Military dooty (After all, his childhood stuff doesn't seem to show any interest in fecal matter, so that must have started somewhere. And if anyone giggled when the word "duty" was ever used, it was Rick), failed job after failed job, and failed con after failed con after fake con, and various pictures of poop, before we'll finally find out that he's still waiting to hear from his Lawyer Legion Lost to make a statement for him.

Artful Angie
09-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Has anyone heard from Matt since his honeymoon? Or is he still on it?

Michael W. Kellar
09-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Rick Olney thinks he has something to say about me...

http://sequentialsoul.blogspot.com/2011/09/what-price-fame.html#comment-form

SarahBeach
09-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks, Matt & Blake for the mention of my book!

So Rick is trying to taunt Michael, by revealing super-secret stuff that will reflect badly on Michael. Rick keeps trying this ploy. As Gail posted, Michael's already come clean about it all, so ... where's the threat? Rick will just say snotty stuff, and Michael can have his lawyer go after Rick for defamation of character (things said with malicious intent) that could affect Michael's professional standing. And since Michael actually does have a lawyer, I don't think Rick really wants to do that.

As for Matt and the maps -- even if he's back from his honeymoon, he might not be ready to post anything publicly yet. If the lawyers involved in following up on the maps and the charity matters are still at work (and I would imagine that they are), there's no point in giving Rick a heads-up on those actions.

I do hope that Matt will touch base with us when he gets home, but he doesn't have to say anything about the maps yet, if there is legal business going forward.

JTPencils
09-27-2011, 11:47 AM
I agree with Sarah, Matt shouldn't reveal his hand too soon. Let his (real) lawyers work on it, and we'll no doubt find out the end results in due time!

Tony Isabella
09-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Whenever Olney threatens me, I wonder who his intended audience is. I mean, surely even a jerk like him knows I'm not the least bit afraid of him. If I thought his blog had actual readers, I might think he was playing to them, but, even then, they'd probably realize he's all hat and no cattle. The most logical audience is likely Olney himself. His blog is his fantasy world and, there, he's actually accomplished and beloved and powerful.

I'd be happy to let him have his fantasy world if he would just stop with the new scams. It's when he steps out of his fantasy world and tries to score new victims that folks like Gail and Tom and others have to take action.

Cam63
09-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Cheers to that.

Flamebird
09-27-2011, 08:07 PM
http://www.neatoshop.com/product/Indiana-Jones-World-Map

KJ!
09-27-2011, 11:45 PM

So I take it that means Matt has them back?

MacQuarrie
09-27-2011, 11:56 PM
So I take it that means Matt has them back?
I hope that's what it means.

MacQuarrie
09-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Heh. Irony.
http://sequentialsoul.blogspot.com/2011/09/very-timely-statement.html

JTPencils
09-28-2011, 02:13 AM
Heh. Irony.
http://sequentialsoul.blogspot.com/2011/09/very-timely-statement.html

Next he'll swear this is his business motto.

JTPencils
09-28-2011, 02:16 AM
I hope that's what it means.

Let's all hope so. Maybe someone was contacted by real lawyers, soiled their shorts, and realized that he had to finally comply and do the right thing.

Tony Isabella
09-28-2011, 02:44 AM
Since I have no desire to actually go to Olney's blog, it would be helpful if folks would quote his statements here when they are discussing them.

Michael W. Kellar
09-28-2011, 03:04 AM

Are you sure that Matt is actually selling these and not someone else?

Artful Angie
09-28-2011, 04:02 AM
Since I have no desire to actually go to Olney's blog, it would be helpful if folks would quote his statements here when they are discussing them.

Tony, It's a posting titled "A Very Timely Statement" Followed by a sign that says:

I AM AN ARTIST
THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT I WILL WORK FOR FREE
I HAVE BILLS JUST LIKE YOU
THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING

Then today he posted a bunch of photos of an old ORCA meeting. You know ORCA! It's that huge multi-national group that collected and gave hundreds of thousands of comics away. If you squint really, really hard you can just make out the hundreds of members of the group at the meeting. No, squint harder! There you go. I know it's hard to tell, because they're all standing single file in front of each other.

And there's also all those thousands of comics! Okay, two or three. But the rest are all on the floor under the camera's angle. It's like papery colorful carpeting!

God, I look at those pictures and makes me wonder what I was thinking of wearing my hair like that??

Matt Doc Martin
09-28-2011, 04:42 AM
They look like AA meetings.

THEDOC
09-28-2011, 05:57 AM
Then today he posted a bunch of photos of an old ORCA meeting. You know ORCA! It's that huge multi-national group that collected and gave hundreds of thousands of comics away. If you squint really, really hard you can just make out the hundreds of members of the group at the meeting. No, squint harder! There you go. I know it's hard to tell, because they're all standing single file in front of each other.

And there's also all those thousands of comics! Okay, two or three. But the rest are all on the floor under the camera's angle. It's like papery colorful carpeting!

God, I look at those pictures and makes me wonder what I was thinking of wearing my hair like that??

I'm surprised to see Greg Hyland in one of those pics, wonder what he would think of RO now?

Tony Isabella
09-28-2011, 06:24 AM
I am sad to report another Rick Olney defeat. My blog post "Jim Shooter's Pants Are on Fire" has now received more views than "Return of the Vile Thing."

Gail Simone
09-28-2011, 06:31 AM
I hope Matt got his maps back and is selling them himself. I know it's not our business exactly but I hate the thought of RO getting his grubby paws on them.

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-28-2011, 06:58 AM
I can't be sure because my memory isn't what it use to be but I'm 99% I saw the Indiana Jones maps being sold at the Neatoshop weeks ago, long before Matt left for his honeymoon/before he mentioned Rick is not returning the maps.

Hmm, maybe strike that. Before finishing this post I looked at cached Google pages of the site. The September 10 version of the site does NOT show the map for sale. Nor does a cache version from September 20. However a cache version from September 22 does have the map listed for sale.

Matt Busch seems to have come back from his honeymoon September 25 from what I gather reading his Facebook.

Matt still has a note on his website saying more maps will be available soon and details will follow but that's been up for a good 3 weeks or more. So obviously until Matt lets us know, I'm not sure of anything.

Gail Simone
09-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Hmm.

Well, we know Rick would never do the right thing on his own. Maybe he blackmai...er, got Matt to agree not to comment further in return for the maps.

MacQuarrie
09-28-2011, 07:41 AM
That's an angle he's tried many times before. "I'll pay you if you delete you're negative comments about me."

Flamebird
09-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Did I say that?
More afraid ricky is trying another "reach"-er . . . runaround, while he knows the legal owner is away.

leftwingnutcase
09-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Are we 100% sure it isn't Rick selling the maps on Neato?

Someone screencap the page just in case.

JTPencils
09-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Hmm.

Well, we know Rick would never do the right thing on his own. Maybe he blackmai...er, got Matt to agree not to comment further in return for the maps.

That's what's always gotten me about RO... he'll do the right thing by you.... (supposedly).. as long as you'll stop telling the truth about what a dirtbag, scumball, lying, cheating, conniving sumbitch he is. And put it in writing no less.

Shurato2099
09-28-2011, 10:03 AM
That's what's always gotten me about RO... he'll do the right thing by you.... (supposedly).. as long as you'll stop telling the truth about what a dirtbag, scumball, lying, cheating, conniving sumbitch he is. And put it in writing no less.

Hey now ... let's not bring the man's mother into this. :)

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-28-2011, 10:07 AM

I think it's clear that no one is 100% sure of anything. I lean towards it being Matt Busch giving X amount of maps to the store and them selling it. That's based on them selling a lot of his stuff including exclusive items from him in the past. So they have a past/current business relationship with him. They are not a small unknown website. I doubt they would do business with Rick without contacting Matt.

They have an email where I am sure questions could be asked, infohttp://static.neatoshop.com/i/at.jpgneatoshop.com

MacQuarrie
09-28-2011, 11:35 AM
It's posted on Matt's account page. Go up a level and see, it's on the same account with all his other work. No way would Olney have access to that.

Matt Doc Martin
09-28-2011, 11:42 AM
It's posted on Matt's account page. Go up a level and see, it's on the same account with all his other work. No way would Olney have access to that.

Or the ability to come up with a clean and workable website.

JTPencils
09-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Why should his website be any different then anything else he attempts?

KJ!
09-28-2011, 06:49 PM

It's not Rick, and these were from before all the other stuff.

So it means nothing, and doesn't represent any development.

I emailed Matt about it. I forgot to ask for permission to post the relevant response, but that's a short answer that should at least answer that, and not offer information that I haven't cleared with Matt to share.

Artful Angie
09-29-2011, 04:23 AM
We appear to have struck a nerve with Wicky-Poo recently, based on his bleghs today...

Cyber-Bullying Laws Nearly Where They Should Be: Lawsuit Looms

Cyber-bullying laws in New York State are finally underway. It isn't just about kids any more, and frankly, it is overdue. See... I told you 2012 was going to be interesting.

I found it curious that it is already a crime to "intentionally cause or aid" another person's suicide, the bill would update the state's second-degree manslaughter statute to explicitly include cyber bullying as a possible cause of such a suicide. My haters and bullies exist here. Here. Here. Here. Here. And here. (EDIT: FOOTNOTE WITH LINKS TO FOLLOW)

So, yes, the message for bullies is clear, even without the increasing attempts to further criminalize bullying and give more legal recourse to victims or- as the case too often is- their surviving families. Stop it now! Even if you don't care about your victims or anyone else, stop it at least for your own good and get help. You can't cover your varied tracks quick enough, I tell you. And, seeing as I have saved everything from the blog taunts to the threats to the photo-shopped photos ... your time is coming to an end. We shall see who is complicit. We shall see whose family you have hurt more. We shall see if all you've stated equals justification for the last 6 years worth of harassment, libel and outrageous lies. Yes, indeed we shall...
Posted by Rick Olney at 4:26 AM

Labels: Chuck Dixon, Danny Donovan, Dave Rothe, Gail Simone, Joanne Ellen Mutch, Kevin Huxford, Kurt Busiek, Paul D. Storrie, Scott Reed, Shelly Kennedy, Timothy J Tobolski, Tom Stillwell, Tony Isabella

Here's his "Here and Here" links he refers to:

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?194906-Rick-Olney-Still-does-not-pay-freelancers-or-anyone-else.
http://rickolney.blogspot.com/
http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=156451
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/18/rick-olney-cancels-adirondack-comic-con/
http://www.unscrewedcomic.com/content.php?page=Letter_to_Comics_Professionals
http://troublewithcomics.com/post/9675024064/my-experience-with-rick-olney

I don't know what to say about this one except Rick must be color-blind when it comes to kitchenware. And I love how he missed out on adding my cover name to the list of people he added as labels to this entry.

Rick, as you stated, those laws would make it illegal to bully someone online in a way that causes that person to commit suicide . I'm going to ignore my outrage at you trying to garner sympathy when there are real people being bullied out there in our high schools and having those thoughts without thinking there's no one to help. Especially so soon after the death of Jamey Rodemeyer, someone who had his whole life ahead of him and it was full of hope and promise. Unlike you, whose best years are far, far, in the past and has nothing left to provide the world but empty threats, heartache to people you've scammed, and broken promises.

For anybody who is reading this and find themselves in the same state of mind as Jamey, please go to this site: http://www.itgetsbetter.org/ . If any of you are the subject of cyber or real life bullying, don't suffer in silence. Tell someone. It will help.

To Rick Olney: I'm not threatening, bullying, or or anything like that. But Rick, if you think all the people who are putting you in your place by makng you see yourself for what you really are, and are feeling that you are subject to being a "victim" under these new laws, you are so full of shit. And PLEASE, let your lawsuits or criminal charges go through. I DARE you! Look at the last decade and a half of emails you've sent people and blog posts you've written and really think about just how much fun it'll be to watch you get shot down in a real court of law.

And you have no idea how badly I want to say something to you that I know would cause flaming in the room. But my self-control is keeping the better of me. Consider yourself lucky, Rick.

KJ!
09-29-2011, 04:41 AM
That's HILARIOUS.

I love how he's like ''You can't hide the evidence!''

Meanwhile WHO is the one deleting all their own taunts and libelous statements on a daily basis?

And who's the guy that's stolen maps off a guy intent on getting revenue from them to charity?

Oh yeah, Richard L Olney II.

And THAT is his 'big surprise' for 2012? LOL.

He's acting like it's the 'Rick Olney Bill'.

He is, as usual, clueless as to the nature and application of the applicable statute/law.

Artful Angie
09-29-2011, 05:10 AM
Meanwhile, over at his revisionist history page, he's telling the bus driver story again, I think. It's so hard to tell with his ramblings. But he's peppered it with some slams at us. But I'll fix it as I go along....

Always an interesting topic, this one about comic books from the Golden Age.

Most high quality collectors treasure their gathered books. They take extra measures to safeguard their comics. They're proud and they show them off sometimes. I'm a collector; a fortunate collector during my life. I've had several adventures that directly gained me golden age treasures over past decades. And, I've even hinted to a pedigree connection a little over the years. Of course, you won't find what I'm talking about because I am eccentric. ("Eccentric"... as in "Liar") Anyone that has really gotten to know me, knows this about me. (Truer words were never spoken, Rick. EVERYONE knows you're a liar alright.) Anyway -- I thought I'd now share those adventures here after a brief recount leading into why I am the way that I am.

Note to the troublemakers: You're not quick enough or smart enough to figure it all out. You'd need to study my life more carefully and stop letting your hatred guide your thought process. But, anyway... (Which life, Rick? The truth or your revisionist version of it?)

I've told these stories before. They're from memory, so you'll have fun picking apart the details in your meager scat. While these are each in my finished manuscript, I'm not going to bother with checking that word for word to share it. (Wait a minute! MANUSCRIPT??? Did Rick actually WRITE something finally?!?) I'll merely tell the circumstances as they happened and as I recall. The manuscript, by the way, was professionally edited for print and distribution within my family after I've died. (Isn't that what Ted Kacynski used to say? Hmmm.. Rick is building a cabin in the woods, hates people who use the Internet against him, and is working on a "manuscript". If Rick mails anything to any of you, DON'T OPEN IT!!!!!

And I'd love to know who the "editor" of this manifesto was. Benny Leal, perhaps??)

And, again, I'll remind you that I do not legally own my personal collection of comics. (Let me tell you about all the comics I "used to own" but don't anymore. But trust me, I owned 'em. Yessir! That's the TRUTH!)

Last of all, while I appreciate the public comments they are all prescreened. I do not approve troll remarks. People using cute little screen names are cast aside.
(That's okay, Rick. We understand. If only there was someplace else we could go to comment about what you say...)

Now on with the first story:

My Friend Ted

Several years ago, on a August 8th, Ted Marciniak was just another name in the local obituary listing. He was more than that to me. Once upon a time, we had shared an understanding of each other. This is that story.

Mr. Marciniak was a school bus driver and janitor for the New York Mills Union Free School District. I attended 'the Mills', as it was called back then, during my formative elementary and high school years. Like most kids of my generation, I took some things for granted. School classes would end and I'd shoot out of that building like a rocket! The last bell would ring and then the race began for all of us to get to our locker to get the things we needed to take home. Kids taking the bus had to get out there to the curb before they pulled away. Fortunately, Ted never knowingly left anyone behind. Seeing him with that wide faced smile was always a treat. Although, thinking back, he had to have hated some of those days. I can recall him having to holler at a few kids. They'd listen to him most times.

Another aspect of Ted's personality was that he took a little time to get to know each kid regardless of whether they caused him stress or not. I vaguely recall him asking a few times how school had been; small talk was a normal and he was a nice man. Back then, a student didn't need a permission slip by their mom or dad to get off the bus at another stop besides that the bus driver regularly let you out at. This afforded many kids a chance to go to a friends house after school. Then some few ruined it for the rest of us by getting off at other bus stops to fight another kid. I never needed that to happen, but I did used to ask Ted to let me off at the closest stop to Mandry's store on Main Street in New York Mills. It allowed me to go in and buy that weeks new comics. This wasn't a place that I ever stole any comics from. (Just everywhere else he went)The New York Mills police chief was the owner of the store and besides that, my mom used to stop there for bread and milk sometimes. So I wasn't about to take a chance at being bad and getting caught. So with a bag of new comics and a few pieces of two for a nickle pieces of candy, I'd then walk home. The distance was that bad. It was three blocks to the intersection of where Campbell Ave met Main Street, a right turn and then nine blocks to the top of Myers Ave., where from there it was a block down the street and just around the corner. I always had time after getting home for chores. (Why does he always think anybody is interested in the path he took? Do we need the Mapquest footnotes? Are you hoping your familly will bronze the sidewalk your feet touched, dumbass??)

Now, don't get me wrong -- I wasn't an angel in school, although when I was in trouble it was normally connected to someone bothering one of my two oldest sisters. I only actually ever got tossed off a school bus once and then that was because I got into a fight. No, most times, I was the polite and well mannered kid that my parents raised me to be; soft spoken and seen but not heard (Gosh, if only he had stayed that way). You know, that reason why God gave us all two ears and one mouth. Come to think of it, Ted was always Mr. Marciniak to me back before we became better friends.

Again, I want it perfectly clear that I had the ability to be a rotten kid to other kids worse than me back then. I have always disliked bullies. (Especially because they always bullied on HIM.) And while it is true that I had somewhere between 6-12 instances (per week) of stealing comic books from a couple drug stores, it was my one vice back then before finding girls. (And girls found him... utterly repulsive and smelly) I have never been proud of myself for those funny book adventures. (But it never stopped him from continuing the habit well into his adulthood, has it?)

It was a fall Saturday. I woke up to learn that my dad had gone up north to scout some State land for hunting up above Inlet, New York. I took advantage of my day by getting on my bike and heading over to Mandry's that morning. Being a comics fan and having been a more avid collector in my day (just a simple reader now, folks), that someone would take time and money to risk peculiar looks from acquaintances or partners because they want every issue of Doom Patrol or want to possess every DC War comic book ever published, well ... celebrate diversity, right? I've spent time gathering old ACG Nemesis issues, Dell Tarzan and DC Blackhawk books, and a good part of my 1960s and very early 1970s were spent gathering an impressive lot of DC , Marvel, Timely, Dell, Gold Key and even older comics. I did put a lot of time on those several bicycles of mine, and I did ride from Yorkville to Woodgate several times (along with other cities, towns and villages) growing up simply because I enjoyed the challenge. As a 57 year old man of today fighting trolls and 4th stage cancer, I am continually amazed at where my strength and the time came from back then. (From the same place your stories about doing it, your claims about trolls, and IN MY OPINION ONLY your Stage 4 cancer claims come form, Rick... they come from right out of your lying ass.)

That fall day is fresh in my mind as I type this, because as I was hurrying to peddle home for lunch with a small bag full of comics ... my mind raced ahead to when I'd have time to stretch out on the living room carpet to read Superman, Superboy, Adventure, Green Lantern, Justice League of America, and the Flash comics I'd bought. It was then that I spotted Ted and he waved to me. Imagine my surprise! There was my favorite bus driver and he wasn't in his blue uniform wearing that sweater he often wore on spring and fall days. I hollered out, "Hi Ted!" as I rode hurriedly past his house. It was split seconds after hearing him respond that I hit the brakes and turned around to ride slowly back to him. He had walked to his hedge to greet me.

First thing I noticed was how tired Ted looked to be. 'Course, he asked me a few questions about where I was coming from so quickly and I shared with him that I was headed home from Mandry's to try to get there before Dave and Bobby Berkman got to my house to watch Monster Movie Matinee on television. He then asked me if I was thirsty, asking me if I wanted a bottle of pop to drink. I told him, "Sure!", as he leaned the rake against his front porch. I laid my bike down and took up his rake to help him finish where he'd left off. Ted's yard was actually larger than my own back yard, and I had an idea that I had time. There were two large pine trees in his front yard with wind blown pine needles and little annoying unopened pine cones.

It seemed like a long time before Ted returned with that bottle of root beer. But, boy... did that ever hit the spot. He premised handing me that bottle with telling me that I didn't have to rake his lawn any longer. He thanked me too. We talked about school and I mentioned to him how 'cool' it must be living across from the Twin Ponds Golf Club; telling him how I'd drag my sled to their gully and hillside above the ponds to take advantage with all the other local kids. We had some laughs and as I then told him that I had to get going, he told me to wait a minute. Then, like before, he took the empty pop bottles back into his home. So, yeah, I laid my bike down again and picked up the rake. It was about ten minutes, near as I can recall, before he came back out and this time he had a large brown grocery bag. You know, one of those extra strength ones that they used to have back in the 50s and 60s.

Walking over to me, he asked, "Hey Rick, you like comics, right?" My reply was, "Sure I do!" (now standing near my bike) telling him how I had the most recent issues of all kinds of comics in my bag. Well, what happened next was we swapped bags to look into. He took my small brown bag and I now was holding this heavy bag, and it was full of a single stack of old comics.

(RICK THEN POSTS TWO PICTURES OF GRADED COMICS. NOTICE HOW HE NEVER SHOWS PICTURES OF THE COMICS FROM WHEN HE "OWNED" THEM?? OR PICTURES OF HIS A.A.... UM, I MEAN "ORCA" MEETINGS WHERE HE SHOWED THESE COMICS TO PEOPLE WHO COULD LATER VERIFY "YEAH, I SAW THOSE COMICS IN RICK'S COLLECTION". I GUESS THOSE PICTURES MUST HAVE GOTTEN LOST AT THE DRUG STORE. BUT NOT EVERY OTHER SINGLE PICTURE A PACK RAT LIKE RICK SEEMS TO HAVE KEPT.)

I peered down into the bag and was astonished to see comics which I'd never heard of before! My eyes must have it up, because Ted invited me to take a few out. Well, my heart was in my throat. Was he actually going to let me pick a few out and give them to me? It was one of those focus, refocus moments, I tell you.
Note: The books above are actual books from that collection of Golden age books. Of course, there are also books that I shall show you that came from other periods of luck during my life. The books were handled through a third party, and nearly all are of a specific pedigree; a pedigree that has been kept mostly under wraps. (By "third party", he means the actual owners of these comics I think. And by "periods of luck" I think that translates as "scams that I've pulled where I asked people to donate to a charity and they believed my BS". Like he's had a "period of luck" with Matt's Indiana Jones maps.)

Inside the heavy brown bag I found copies of early Batman, Superman, and character like Blue Beetle, with other characters from the 1940s that I'd never even heard of. "You can have those. I want you to have them." still rings in my memory, as Ted placed the smaller brown bag atop the big bag.
Ted explained that his kids didn't read them anymore and that he was going to put them out with the trash. And, back then, they were old comics, but they were undervalued as old comics. Hell, I was still finding ten cent comics in the local barbershops that I'd visit from time to time.

I thanked Ted. We actually shook hands and that along with the couple times he placed his hand on my shoulder made me feel I'd done a good thing. I then picked up my bike, straddling the bar, trying to hold that heavy bag in one arm and balance and push off to begin peddling home. Those next few blocks uphill were tedious, but one I got to the crown of the hill ... it was all down hill to my house. That was the first time I had ever rode entirely on the side of the road (versus the sidewalk) because I was scared that I'd drop that bag. Riding with one hand; heavy bag of comics in the other. In school after that until I left for the Marine Corp, I never passed Ted by. I'd always take a moment to chat with him and acknowledge our friendship. Soon, Ted was replaced on the afternoon bus by Mr. Eddy.

When I found Ted's obituary in the newspaper that day, I was at work. It must've been obvious that it affected me, because the First Assistant store manager asked me what was wrong so I told him the whole story. Several things became known to me through that obituary. First, I thought Ted had died earlier. Next I learned that he was also a Marine in his younger years having served during World War II., fighting against Hitler and the Nazis; with his education and Honorable Discharge behind him, and raising a family. He had lived in that same house all those years that I grew into adulthood and I'd never stopped to see him. He was a father to a son and daughter; he had outlived his wife, and it set in with me that he was a great man that simply cared about people that crossed his own chosen path in life. You'll laugh, but every time I have a bottle of root beer... who do you think I think of?

God bless you, Ted.

Now, while that would normally otherwise be a good story to tell about what was probably a great man, why is it that just the taint of Rick Olney makes me read that and, a few times, feel skeeved out at what Rick says about that guy?? Is it Rick's standard writing style that's making me read too much into it? You know, "I want to write something nostalgic when a touch of innocence, then drag that through a pond of mud and scum."

Only Rick could tell a story meant to show how nice a guy was, make it all about him, and give you a funny taste in your mouth about the guy's behavior.

NatGertler
09-29-2011, 05:20 AM
So his plan is what? To commit suicide, and then sue people?
There might be a problem there....

leftwingnutcase
09-29-2011, 05:24 AM
We appear to have struck a nerve with Wicky-Poo recently, based on his bleghs today...

Here's his "Here and Here" links he refers to:

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?194906-Rick-Olney-Still-does-not-pay-freelancers-or-anyone-else.
http://rickolney.blogspot.com/
http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=156451
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/18/rick-olney-cancels-adirondack-comic-con/
http://www.unscrewedcomic.com/content.php?page=Letter_to_Comics_Professionals
http://troublewithcomics.com/post/9675024064/my-experience-with-rick-olney

I don't know what to say about this one except Rick must be color-blind when it comes to kitchenware. And I love how he missed out on adding my cover name to the list of people he added as labels to this entry.

Rick, as you stated, those laws would make it illegal to bully someone online in a way that causes that person to commit suicide . I'm going to ignore my outrage at you trying to garner sympathy when there are real people being bullied out there in our high schools and having those thoughts without thinking there's no one to help. Especially so soon after the death of Jamey Rodemeyer, someone who had his whole life ahead of him and it was full of hope and promise. Unlike you, whose best years are far, far, in the past and has nothing left to provide the world but empty threats, heartache to people you've scammed, and broken promises.

For anybody who is reading this and find themselves in the same state of mind as Jamey, please go to this site: http://www.itgetsbetter.org/ . If any of you are the subject of cyber or real life bullying, don't suffer in silence. Tell someone. It will help.

To Rick Olney: I'm not threatening, bullying, or or anything like that. But Rick, if you think all the people who are putting you in your place by makng you see yourself for what you really are, and are feeling that you are subject to being a "victim" under these new laws, you are so full of shit. And PLEASE, let your lawsuits or criminal charges go through. I DARE you! Look at the last decade and a half of emails you've sent people and blog posts you've written and really think about just how much fun it'll be to watch you get shot down in a real court of law.

And you have no idea how badly I want to say something to you that I know would cause flaming in the room. But my self-control is keeping the better of me. Consider yourself lucky, Rick.

Richard Olney II you monster. Of course I'm gay, and yes I've very briefly been tempted with ending my own life. Things are much better now, but in the past I was badgered, mocked, called hideous slurs, and just plain beaten to a pulp on a regular basis. For a proven con man like you to call us bullies in that degree just makes you an ungrateful little shit. And I'm putting it nicely. You ARE the bully here.

Artful Angie
09-29-2011, 05:25 AM
So his plan is what? To commit suicide, and then sue people?
There might be a problem there....

Shh!!! Nat, let him try to work out the flaws in his own plan. LOL

Some people just need to learn lessons for themselves...

Tony Isabella
09-29-2011, 06:02 AM
I tried not to giggle while reading Olney's latest nonsense.

I failed.

Tony Isabella
09-29-2011, 06:02 AM
I tried not to giggle while reading Olney's latest nonsense.

I failed.

alandaviddoane
09-29-2011, 06:08 AM
I'm amused to be labeled a "bully" by Olney for simply telling the truth about my experiences with the man, but disgusted with his attempt to somehow hook the wagon of his perfidy to that of real victims of bullying who have suffered and died as a result of the torment they have suffered. If anything, I would think Olney's relentless threats and hollow bellowing would classify him as one of the biggest bullies hovering around the periphery of the comics industry. Certainly he is near the top of my list of "Toxic Cretins" I have encountered as a result of my time writing about comics.

HamsterRage
09-29-2011, 06:30 AM
Olney can dish it out but he just can't take it. Wasn't this the guy that was posting pictures or people and then insulting them? Including pictures of people's families?

If he stops and thinks about he'd realize everything he calls "bullying" is a comeuppance for his awful behavior.

His lying, thieving, cheating all brought about these issues and he was given chances to make things right and each and everytime he made things worse.

That all said, if he's considering suicide he should call a hotline and speak to a counselor and start taking steps to fix the problems he's created. Apologizing, paying back everyone, giving back the posters, etc

HamsterRage
09-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Looks like people in Mohawk are talking about Rick: http://m.topix.com/forum/city/mohawk-ny/TA782171LDF103GDU

KJ!
09-29-2011, 07:42 AM
That was posted a few pages back Bri, but man, that newest comment is interesting.

Olney ripping someone off TWENTY years ago.

That'd be a new confirmed record, I believe?

Matt Doc Martin
09-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Uh oh....Rick is consulting LAWYERS.

Again.

And this time, he MEANS it.

Again.

KJ!
09-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Heard back from Matt, he gave the okay.

Here's the contents of his first email, which was a reply to me asking about the maps listed on that other site.

I've deleted the unrelated parts:

''Olney hasn't sent back the maps yet. Still ironing things out with Lucasfilm on how exactly to proceed. I have a phone meeting with them this afternoon actually.

NeatoShop is definitely not Olney. Months ago while waiting for Olney to send the funds for printing and shipping, NeatoShop took a dozen off my hands at cost to help balance the money I put up front. Between that and my own Online sales, once I was reimbursed the amount I spent on printing and shipping, I sent him the maps (stupid me) and told him that every dime should now go to the DAV since all the costs were covered. In retrospect, I can't believe how easily I got suckered.

I'm hoping to have more to report soon!

Matt!''

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Shocker. Rick has already deleted his latest blog post about bullies. It's his right!

Matt Doc Martin
09-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Shocker. Rick has already deleted his latest blog post about bullies. It's his right!

Guess he doesn't want to tip his hand.

That moron.

Rick Olney...PAY WHAT YOU OWE and SHUT THE HELL UP!

Artful Angie
09-29-2011, 08:44 AM

Was it some we said, Rick??

Don't go away bullied, Rick. Just go away.

Artful Angie
09-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Guess he doesn't want to tip his hand.

That moron.

Rick Olney...PAY WHAT YOU OWE and SHUT THE HELL UP!

Yeah, maybe he realized that he stepped over a line? And that maybe listing all those different people in his label would be considered....Bullying??

Nah! When did Rick ever do any of that learning stuff?

J.R. LeMar
09-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Or maybe he realized that if he thinks all those various links are spreading lies about him then it's pretty stupid for him to link directly to them in his blog, thereby giving even more access to them for people to read? DUH.

Artful Angie
09-29-2011, 09:48 AM
The thing about his bus driver story is that's the second time at least since the start of summer that he told it, and it was different both times.

Somebody with the screen caps will have to confirm it for me, but I recall him telling the story of the bus driver asking him if he like comics, and then offering him a bag of them. But I seem to recall him saying this happened on the school bus on the way home one day. Not in the guy's front yard. This is the first time he mentioned riding his bikehome, or raking leaves.

See, Rick, if this is true and you did tell it two different ways before, then this is why no one believes you rode to Woodgate when you were a kid, was never bullied or picked on by the smarter cooler kids, got kissed before your wedding day, or ever had any decent comic books.

YOU GOT CAUGHT IN A LIE ONCE. So why do you expect anyone to believe you when you have this attitude of "I have never lied. Even during the times you've caught me in a lie, I wasn't lying. And I'm telling the truth even more now because I say I am!" ? The only person you have to blame for your bad reputation is yourself, so suck it up.

Outsider
09-29-2011, 11:08 AM

http://i.imgur.com/FSJq6s.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FSJq6.png

J.R. LeMar
09-29-2011, 11:41 AM
The thing about his bus driver story is that's the second time at least since the start of summer that he told it, and it was different both times.

Who cares? I say ignore the random blogs that don't have anything to do with his various debts or shady business dealings. There's no need to keep hang on his every single word. If he wants to make up stories about his childhood, let him go ahead. Trying to catch him in a lie about whether he rode a bike or took a bus somewhere when he was a kid is pointless.

Jim Ritchey
09-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Dunno if it's bullying, Ricky-Boy, if it's a response to TOO MANY legal and physical threats to count, from a fucking thief.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."--Inigo Montoya

HamsterRage
09-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Who cares? I say ignore the random blogs that don't have anything to do with his various debts or shady business dealings. There's no need to keep hang on his every single word. If he wants to make up stories about his childhood, let him go ahead. Trying to catch him in a lie about whether he rode a bike or took a bus somewhere when he was a kid is pointless.

I agree. Let's not bother with his stupid bio blog

MacQuarrie
09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
What's interesting about his sad and pathetic bio-blog is how much he reveals about what a loathsome and self-centered person he is.

They're proud and they show them off sometimes. I'm a collector; a fortunate collector during my life. I've had several adventures that directly gained me golden age treasures over past decades.
His use of the passive voice is telling. Rather than saying he acquired golden age treasures, he says that his "adventures gained [him]" these books. Could it be that saying this in the active voice would be tacitly admitting to theft?

And, again, I'll remind you that I do not legally own my personal collection of comics.
This is an interesting one; he states that he does not legally own the comics, but continues to refer to them as "my personal collection." He is admitting to fraudulently concealing assets.

This wasn't a place that I ever stole any comics from. The New York Mills police chief was the owner of the store and besides that, my mom used to stop there for bread and milk sometimes. So I wasn't about to take a chance at being bad and getting caught.
Clearly, it was cowardice, not character, that kept him honest in this one store.

No, most times, I was the polite and well mannered kid that my parents raised me to be...
Polite and well-mannered children do not steal and lie.

And while it is true that I had somewhere between 6-12 instances of stealing comic books from a couple drug stores, it was my one vice back then before finding girls.
If you admit to "6-12" incidents, the true number is most likely many more. Nobody keeps count past the second or third. By the sixth time, it's habitual.

I took advantage of my day...
He uses the phrase "took advantage" a lot. This is because he looks at the world, people and thing things as items to be used for his benefit. He is The Self and everything serves The Self.

I peered down into the bag and was astonished to see comics which I'd never heard of before! My eyes must have it up, because Ted invited me to take a few out. Well, my heart was in my throat. Was he actually going to let me pick a few out and give them to me? It was one of those focus, refocus moments, I tell you.
Just like Smeagol, as soon as he sees something he doesn't have, his first instinct is "MINE!" Look at how he instantly assumes Ted intended to give him these comics. It couldn't be that he was just showing off his collection. Self-centered, greedy, envious. Three of the Seven Deadlies already.

Note: The books above are actual books from that collection of Golden age books. Of course, there are also books that I shall show you that came from other periods of luck during my life. The books were handled through a third party, and nearly all are of a specific pedigree; a pedigree that has been kept mostly under wraps.
"Periods of luck." Not "periods of hard work" or "periods of being the recipient of kindness and generosity," but "periods of luck." Like most losers, Olney believes that successful people are "lucky" and effort has nothing to do with it.

All of Olney's stories are like this.

SarahBeach
09-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Aw, gee! You mean I missed some posts by him? How could that happen, since according to him, I'm one of those who "has no life"? Oh, wait... I DO have a life (actually, just finished the draft of a script last night -- worked intensely on it the last two days, in fact).

Anyway, I do take the time to read through some of his bio postings, because there actually are hidden revelations about his character in them. And given my fascination in profiling personalities, these little tid-bits contribute to the over-all picture. So, even though I do feel I have a pretty acurate reading of his character, it continues to be a "case study" for me.

As MacQuarrie points out above, Rick's psycho-linguistics (that is, the language he uses which reflect his personality) make for interesting data. He's right that few track their shop-lifting incidents once past the first tries. (I'm pretty sure I only did it once, at the instigation of a friend - I didn't get what the thrill was, and it felt all wrong to me. So I never did it again.) There's also his blatant declaration that his valuable comic book collection isn't "legally his" any more. Yeah, we know, Rick. You even told us that you "gave" them to your son, so they wouldn't be assets in your name. You're not really all that clever about it.

What amuses me his is proud declaration that he's written this biographical manuscript, and that it has been "professionally edited" and will be printed for his family after his death. Huh? If that writing sample is an example of the editing the manuscript received, whatever service he used is a joke. Errors of verb / object agreement, plain old typos, dangling phrases, unclear pronoun references. A Real Editor would have made him addres these matters. I suspect that what he is calling "professional editing" is that the manuscript has been reviewed by a reader at a print-on-demand company, to make sure it complies with legal issues they are concerned about (ie, not a book about bomb building that they could get sued over). Otherwise, they probably don't care. The fact that he isn't having it printed before he dies ... strikes me as odd. I mean, I'm working on a memoir of my parents, something for my siblings and I and possibly their children. I don't expect a wider audience, although I certainly intend to publish it POD (and possibly e-book) for readers who might be interested. But the point is, I'd like to get it done and in print and to my relatives before I die. But I'm also not going to be revealing deep, dark family secrets or vendettas I might have against relatives. But it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Rick isn't going that route, and that some of his "stories" will not be well-received for all sorts of reasons.

And that is just another data-bit about his personality -- he intends to try and continue to be vindictive, even after death. That's a truly twisted psyche, there.

AIPman1
09-29-2011, 02:16 PM
I think the producers of Phineas and Ferb read the RO threads, and totally ripped off Doofenshmirtz's personality from what they saw of RO's doings. But they had to smarten the character up a little.

CutterMike
09-29-2011, 02:42 PM
No, most times, I was the polite and well mannered kid that my parents raised me to be...

Polite and well-mannered children do not steal and lie.

TBH, Mac -- when I initially read that line, my first thought was "Good afternoon, Mrs. Cleaver! My, that's a lovely dress you're wearing!"

Valerie Finnigan
09-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Yeah, maybe he realized that he stepped over a line?

No need to speculate. I noted that he quoted Alex McKinley's blog verbatim in the paragraph urging bullies to stop, but provided no link or citation and did not at that point have permission. I posted a polite but direct comment about plagiarism. He subsequently deleted the entry rather than correct the matter.

Gail Simone
09-29-2011, 03:48 PM
No need to speculate. I noted that he quoted Alex McKinley's blog verbatim in the paragraph urging bullies to stop, but provided no link or citation and did not at that point have permission. I posted a polite but direct comment about plagiarism. He subsequently deleted the entry rather than correct the matter.

Hey, welcome, Valerie!

Artful Angie
09-29-2011, 03:54 PM

Welcome Valerie. I dare ask if this is the Valerie that, along with Clayton and Michael, was to be one of the guests for Rick's "scam"?

I know there was some friction early-on with your involvement with the convention. We harbor no ill-will here to anyone who's been the victim of one of Rick's schemes. May I just ask you your impression of the whole situation from your point-of-view?

MacQuarrie
09-29-2011, 05:14 PM
[/I]

TBH, Mac -- when I initially read that line, my first thought was "Good afternoon, Mrs. Cleaver! My, that's a lovely dress you're wearing!"
Point taken.

MacQuarrie
09-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Hey Valerie! Good to see you here.

Valerie Finnigan
09-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Welcome Valerie. I dare ask if this is the Valerie that, along with Clayton and Michael, was to be one of the guests for Rick's "scam"?

I know there was some friction early-on with your involvement with the convention. We harbor no ill-will here to anyone who's been the victim of one of Rick's schemes. May I just ask you your impression of the whole situation from your point-of-view?

(Imagine the following in a "Knights who say Ni" voice) The same!

And are you sure you want my impression of the whole situation? Basically, if MacQuarrie doesn't mind me saying so, the "friction" was the subject of that big two hour conversation mentioned in his guidelines on how to broach the subject of Olney's behavior with anyone involved with him. I owe him no small amount of thanks for his patience in simply hearing me out.

I never even gave Rick the chance to make a victim out of me. Not much in savings and no credit card means no way for me to pay up front for plane tickets at all, let alone in sanguin hopes of reimbursement. My plan was, as my only options were, to hold him to his promises or not go even before I got any warnings. I also told him to play nice and straight, as I wanted ACF to be the sort of event I could proudly and ethically promote- and nobody was making it easier. He didn't. And given the gaskets a couple people here know I've blown about things said about Clayton, Michael, CJ Grisham, Matt Busch, and yes, myself, it should be easy to imagine how badly I tolerated that from him. So I cut all ties. And so did my nom de blog, Alex.

KJ!
09-29-2011, 11:03 PM

And are you sure you want my impression of the whole situation? Basically, if MacQuarrie doesn't mind me saying so, the "friction" was the subject of that big two hour conversation mentioned in his guidelines on how to broach the subject of Olney's behavior with anyone involved with him. I owe him no small amount of thanks for his patience in simply hearing me out.

I never even gave Rick the chance to make a victim out of me. Not much in savings and no credit card means no way for me to pay up front for plane tickets at all, let alone in sanguin hopes of reimbursement. My plan was, as my only options were, to hold him to his promises or not go even before I got any warnings. I also told him to play nice and straight, as I wanted ACF to be the sort of event I could proudly and ethically promote- and nobody was making it easier. He didn't. And given the gaskets a couple people here know I've blown about things said about Clayton, Michael, CJ Grisham, Matt Busch, and yes, myself, it should be easy to imagine how badly I tolerated that from him. So I cut all ties. And so did my nom de blog, Alex.

Good to hear.

While the people involved in the scam like Michael and Matt Busch are relevant, I'd suggest leaving out CJ Grisham.

Artful Angie
09-30-2011, 03:40 AM

Thank you for that, Valerie. Sounds like you saved yourself a lot of thinly-veiled threats in emails and frustration from Rick not paying down the down by making sure he stuck to his promised arrangements. If I may ask, at any time when you were still slated to appear at the "con", did Rick ever broach the subject of you paying up front for your costs and he'd reimburse you later?

And we are really glad you're here at the thread. :-) Also, if I may ask, are you currently working on any other projects you'd like to and can talk about?

MacQuarrie
09-30-2011, 06:57 AM
And we are really glad you're here at the thread. :-) Also, if I may ask, are you currently working on any other projects you'd like to and can talk about?
Yes, do talk about what you're working on. "Living well is the best revenge," and nothing shuts Olney up faster than people actually doing what he talks about achieving someday.

Tom Stillwell
09-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Yes, do talk about what you're working on. "Living well is the best revenge," and nothing shuts Olney up faster than people actually doing what he talks about achieving someday.

Well, in that case check out these preview pages for Underneath #2!

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8382/u21col.jpg
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4160/u22col.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7820/u23col.jpg
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3944/u24col.jpg

Shurato2099
09-30-2011, 08:24 AM
So the Deep Ones were to blame for the San Fransisco fire ...

AIPman1
09-30-2011, 08:25 AM
BAH!! Olney cant even accomplish a SMALL PRESS feat like this: http://www.spacomics.com/site/downloads/entry/dimestore/mysterious-visions/mysterious-visions.htm

MacQuarrie
09-30-2011, 08:36 AM
I love UNDERNEATH so much. The fact that you're the Bizarro-world Olney is just a bonus.

Tom Stillwell
09-30-2011, 08:41 AM
So the Deep Ones were to blame for the San Fransisco fire ...

San Francisco?! Bah! It's Chicago, baby!!!

Tom Stillwell
09-30-2011, 08:43 AM
i love underneath so much. The fact that you're the bizarro-world olney is just a bonus.

Me am no pay freelancers. Me make bad comics. Me no smell good.

Jim Ritchey
09-30-2011, 09:17 AM
San Francisco?! Bah! It's Chicago, baby!!!

Missus O'Leary's cow was BADLY drawn. :D

Just kidding! BEAUTIFUL WORK.

Oh, and yer emails are spamming me w/ computer help from China or somethin'--seriously...

Matt Doc Martin
09-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Missus O'Leary's cow was BADLY drawn. :D

Just kidding! BEAUTIFUL WORK.

Oh, and yer emails are spamming me w/ computer help from China or somethin'--seriously...

I PM'ed him about this earlier..no response.

Tom Stillwell
09-30-2011, 10:15 AM

Yeah, I know about the spam. Gah.

WilRadcliffe
09-30-2011, 03:12 PM
I got that SPAM as well, Tom Stillwell! Consequently, my leegal teems are currently working on a court case that will take your little red wagon to very smelly places in 2012! Even my contraband Indiana Jones maps will not be able to lead you out of the maze of feces filled toilets we've placed in your way! Prepare yourself! Happy meals are forthcoming! Happy meals for everyone!

(and Underneath looks really cool. Gotta love fantasy mixed with Chi-Town)

JTPencils
09-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Wil, you forgot the obligatory chortling.

Valerie Finnigan
09-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Thank you for that, Valerie. Sounds like you saved yourself a lot of thinly-veiled threats in emails and frustration from Rick not paying down the down by making sure he stuck to his promised arrangements. If I may ask, at any time when you were still slated to appear at the "con", did Rick ever broach the subject of you paying up front for your costs and he'd reimburse you later?

Legal threats don't bother me. If there was anything to them, I'd be overjoyed because that would mean Rick Olney actually listened to some of my advice, which was basically to stop making empty threats and get on with it. Or not. But his only claim against me is that I broke a bad contract- a move on my part that actually saved him as well as me a lot of trouble. And he can't sue for nonexistant monetary damages.

Not once did Olney mention me putting any money up front for my plane tickets, but he knew I wouldn't go for it if he had. He also paid me for a little bit of work I did, though it came several days late and probably would not have come at all had I not sent him a string of panicked emails, the last one of which on that matter said something like, "If you pay me today, if anybody asks, I can say I wasn't cheated." The guy seems fluent only in two languages- threats and veiled threats. I found that speaking that language to him along with showing the will and know-how to make good while otherwise being nice got me results- but it was a major pain. And I felt rotten, like I had to blackmail him for what I'd rightfully earned.

At the moment, I'm working on Untold Stories from Ground Zero and Beyond. I also am working on a superhero drama that's a bit slow in coming out as can be expected when one collaborator is an active duty soldier and another can have her moments of literary inspiration interrupted by the pager tones. Keep an eye out also for GWP's Worst Case Scenario: Outbreak coming out at NYCC. I made a small contribution to that.

J.R. LeMar
09-30-2011, 05:20 PM
At the moment, I'm working on Untold Stories from Ground Zero and Beyond. I also am working on a superhero drama that's a bit slow in coming out as can be expected when one collaborator is an active duty soldier and another can have her moments of literary inspiration interrupted by the pager tones. Keep an eye out also for GWP's Worst Case Scenario: Outbreak coming out at NYCC. I made a small contribution to that.

Sounds good!8-)

SarahBeach
09-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Not once did Olney mention me putting any money up front for my plane tickets, but he knew I wouldn't go for it if he had. He also paid me for a little bit of work I did, though it came several days late and probably would not have come at all had I not sent him a string of panicked emails, the last one of which on that matter said something like, "If you pay me today, if anybody asks, I can say I wasn't cheated." The guy seems fluent only in two languages- threats and veiled threats. I found that speaking that language to him along with showing the will and know-how to make good while otherwise being nice got me results- but it was a major pain. And I felt rotten, like I had to blackmail him for what I'd rightfully earned.

Valerie, that is quite insightful of you! And, alas, all too true.

Artful Angie
09-30-2011, 06:21 PM

Ooh! Valerie, is that based on the infamous Worst Case Scenario series of survival guides?? They are so funny!

Valerie Finnigan
09-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Ooh! Valerie, is that based on the infamous Worst Case Scenario series of survival guides?? They are so funny!

No, but don't let the difference scare you off. Just let it scare you. My entry in the anthology was pretty straightforward horror.

Gail Simone
09-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Well, I'm glad people got off relatively unscathed, but be prepared for Rick to rail against you forever for daring to not go along with his bullshit. In his world, there's no greater crime than not pretending he's a comic book superstar.

Valerie Finnigan
09-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Well, I'm glad people got off relatively unscathed, but be prepared for Rick to rail against you forever for daring to not go along with his bullshit. In his world, there's no greater crime than not pretending he's a comic book superstar.

I didn't come out of it completely unscathed, though, but I won't to into too much detail here. Suffice to say, some potentially legally actionable stuff did happen to me, but I can't do a thing about it because aside from a couple of small stress-related medical bills, I suffered no monetary damages, and, well, the "friction" as Angie delicately put it complicated things. Rick was not the sole cause of my stress in all this, after all, so it would not have been fair or just to just go after him. And it most certainly would have been a lose-lose had I proceeded with any kind of litigation anyway. Moving on now....

alandaviddoane
10-01-2011, 06:18 AM
In his world, there's no greater crime than not pretending he's a comic book superstar.

What if we all appointed him PRETEND COMIC BOOK SUPERSTAR RICK OLNEY. Maybe it would work in the same way that flower did on Mongul at the end of For The Man Who Has Everything.

alandaviddoane
10-01-2011, 06:23 AM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6162/6200584088_41627c844e_z.jpg

Valerie Finnigan
10-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Good to hear.

While the people involved in the scam like Michael and Matt Busch are relevant, I'd suggest leaving out CJ Grisham.

CJ belongs on this list because a few people on this board had directed some insults his way over some vague connection with the convention and irrelevant things like his political views.

J.R. LeMar
10-01-2011, 10:39 AM
CJ belongs on this list because a few people on this board had directed some insults his way over some vague connection with the convention and irrelevant things like his political views.

When his political views include ridicule of homosexual soldiers and comparing homosexuality to incest and bestiality (http://militarygear.com/asp/2010/11/13/details-of-obama-openly-gay-military-released/) he deserves to be insulted.

HamsterRage
10-01-2011, 11:02 AM
When his political views include ridicule of homosexual soldiers and comparing homosexuality to incest and bestiality (http://militarygear.com/asp/2010/11/13/details-of-obama-openly-gay-military-released/) he deserves to be insulted.

Yeah I thought I recalled that as well. Pretty disgusting and bigoted views there.

Fuck that guy.

Matt Doc Martin
10-01-2011, 11:09 AM

Yeah I thought I recalled that as well. Pretty disgusting and bigoted views there.

Fuck that guy.

Well said, the both of you.

Tony Isabella
10-01-2011, 01:17 PM
With Olney's latest attempt to scam people put to rest - and unless there's something I can do to help Matt recover his maps - I'm going to back off this thread for a while.

Frankly, it becomes tiresome for me to keep telling people they should Google those they're considering doing business with. Real professionals should already be doing this.

It becomes even more tiresome, as happened once this time around, when someone I tried to warn gets insulting towards me and accuses me off being unprofessional...then realizes I was right and fails to apologize for her conduct. Screw that. When this person can amass even a tenth of 1% of my professional credits, then I might give a rat's ass about her and her so-called projects.

I'm generally pretty forgiving. Not this time around.

I'm always ready to spring into action whenever Olney pulls his next scam.

But, excuse me for not sticking around to glad-hand homophobic bigots and those who would excuse their behavior.

When you need me, Gail and Tom have the keys to the Tony-Signal.

HamsterRage
10-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Well said Tony!

I'm looking forward to getting the chance to meet with you someday and chat about all this.

HamsterRage
10-01-2011, 03:12 PM
I didn't come out of it completely unscathed, though, but I won't to into too much detail here. Suffice to say, some potentially legally actionable stuff did happen to me, but I can't do a thing about it because aside from a couple of small stress-related medical bills, I suffered no monetary damages, and, well, the "friction" as Angie delicately put it complicated things. Rick was not the sole cause of my stress in all this, after all, so it would not have been fair or just to just go after him. And it most certainly would have been a lose-lose had I proceeded with any kind of litigation anyway. Moving on now....

I'm sorry but this smells of total bullshit. You were warned by people who were trying to help your ignorant ass and you let your pride get in the way.

MacQuarrie
10-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Let's be fair; there is a pretty solid list of people who initially defended Olney before seeing him for what he is.

Gail Simone
10-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Let's be fair; there is a pretty solid list of people who initially defended Olney before seeing him for what he is.

Including me.

I say again. I didn't start this thread to insult people who had a hard time with Olney. If someone came to their senses, that's good enough for me.

HamsterRage
10-01-2011, 04:59 PM
I don't have a problem with that part of it... I do find insulting Tony and saying "potentially legally actionable" in regards to that utterly absurd.

I also find this bit of business stupid:
http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=3177856469399977243&postID=5009915261998699591

J.R. LeMar
10-01-2011, 05:52 PM
My first instinct is also to welcome anyone who has seen the light about Olney, and come here to admit it, such as Clayton, Micheal, and Matt have done. But the reference to Grisham (whom I'd previously defended Clayton against being tagged as implicitly endorsing those view just because they're friends, just like I don't hold Sarah Beach responsible for Chuck Dixon, who has also said some pretty idiotic things about homosexuals) that I didn't like. No one was insulting him because of a connection to the convention, which he didn't have. They insulted him because of his hate-filled comments against homosexuals. Period. Maybe some people find that "irrelevant", which is their right, but don't expect everyone to feel that way. And, yeah, I hadn't really noticed @ first, but the line "Rick was not the sole cause of my stress in all this, after all, so it would not have been fair or just to just go after him", seems to be implying that even after seeing through Olney's act, she's still blaming the people who tried to warn her earlier for causing stress that is potentially legally actionable somehow, which is pretty stupid.

On the other hand, I do mostly agree with her comments regarding the Nick Chumbly blog. Some of it's been funny over the years, but it doesn't really accomplish anything, and does give Olney one example he can point to as proof of some kind of hate campaign. That's why when I put my links together on my blog I just stuck to presenting the facts, so readers could judge for themselves, and kept my personal opinions out of it. As an old saying goes, you don't try to kill a man who's busy committing suicide. Let his own words and actions damn him.

HamsterRage
10-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I don't agree. Anyone who thinks Rick is being bullied is delusional. Chumbly's blog has served the purpose of making sure Rick feels like the joke he is.

KJ!
10-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Fuck him.

I still hold to everything I said about his vile and disgusting remarks.

Why do you think I suggested you leave CJ out of this? Yeah, THIS is why.

Gail Simone
10-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Brian, that was uncalled for.

Gail Simone
10-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Wait. Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the 'legally actionable' stuff referred to Olney?

I might have misread. Will check in in the morning.

J.R. LeMar
10-01-2011, 06:26 PM
The full quote was in:

*emphasis mine*

I suppose I could be mis-reading that, too.

Artful Angie
10-01-2011, 06:35 PM
I don't fault her for what she has to say about Nick. You take him as you take him.

As for any friction between Valerie and anybody else here, and the issue with Tony, the one thing I do sort of agree upon is that a very public apology is owed to him, and one to others here.

What was said directly between you and Tony is your business, Valerie. But I want to remind you of your very own words, here...

http://characterdviven.blogspot.com/2011/08/pirhanas-pariahs-and-me-oh-my-pt-1.html

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pirhanas, Pariahs, and Me, Oh My! pt. 1

When I first got started writing comics, I held no starry-eyed illusions of fame, riches, or even a chance to make myself somehow worthy of a smidgen of the admiration I have for the likes of Larry Hama or the late, great Dave Cockrum. For one thing, I know I'm no superstar. I don't want to be a superstar. I just want to write, do some good with that, have some fun with it, and, yes, land some good paying contracts. For another, I've gone in already knowing a little too much about the industry.

I don't mind a little bit of fanfare as long as it's along the line of positive buzz. Even at that, I prefer it be about my projects and not about me at all. If there's any drama, any controversy, I prefer to just do my job and stay far away from it.

So when I signed a contract to appear at a Veterans' Day convention in upstate New York to promote Untold Stories from Iraq and Afghanistan, that was all I wanted to do. And if anything went wrong that would preclude me from attending- as they did, I wanted to deal with that without any fuss. There are numerous reasons for that.

First of all, to paraphrase Joan Jett, I don't give a damn about anyone's bad reputation. Big names are good for marketing purposes only. While I am new to the comic book industry, I've been in long enough to know some of the human beings behind those names. Even the very best aren't perfect. And I've observed in the general population as well as within the comic book industry that the nicest people come from all over, even from among the unknowns and the pariahs. I was once myself a pariah, shunned, slandered, and mistreated by nearly all my peers. I know how easy it can be to acquire a bad reputation that is completely undeserved. So I don't mean it as a personal affront to anyone when I take any negative comment about anyone else with a grain or several of salt. I simply relate a little too well to those on the receiving end of such treatment.

I am also a freelancer,quite aware that I work in an industry rife with predators. This is why I am generally picky about the contracts I sign- and another reason why I wish to steer clear of internet feeding frenzies, as I don't see predatory behavior coming from just publishers or convention organizers, but tragically sometimes from fellow comic book creators.

And it's because of how I feel for everyone involved that I also won't take it personally if readers do not believe what I have to say about anyone. None of the grievances I'll air here are about individuals or reputations, but about behaviors.

Now I must admit to being a little naive in thinking that the comic book industry might be a haven for people who'd remember too well what it's like to be the grade school outcaste and would know better than to treat anyone like that. I was very disappointed to find out how that's not the case, and various lies circulated about me on the internet. Normally, I wouldn't dignify any of that with a response, but these run the gamut from too egregious to too silly to not address.

The silly lies are easiest to address. I was not banned from IMWAN or Byrnerobotics. I may or may not be welcome back, but leaving those sites was my idea. I requested my account be deleted at IMWAN. I think I just stopped posting at Byrnerobotics. Yet people seem to state as fact that I was banned.

I don't go crazy when people say bad things about my favorite characters. I will, however, admit to having a certain intolerance for trolling fan sites. If you don't like the X-Men, The Walking Dead, Dr. Who, Star Wars, or anything I happen to like, that's fine. Viva la difference! But if you go to a fan site clearly intending to cause trouble, don't blame anyone other than yourself when that's exactly what you get.

There's the matter of my alleged lack of empathy for freelancers. The fact that I am a freelancer was completely lost on the person making such a claim, though the truth that I'm not a superstar wasn't, as this person saw fit to repeatedly point out. The absurdity of it all would amuse me to no end if I hadn't at one point wanted to work with that person.

I was never anyone's evil sidekick. At worst, I'm a rogue-ish chaotic good. I'm ethically opposed to fraud. I'm also ethically opposed to creepy, stalkerish, bullying behavior. So when one group uses creepy, stalkerish bullying tactics in opposition to fraud, the ethical thing for me to do is to want nothing to do with either side.

Will there be a part 2 to this long and rambling rant? Only if I'm provided more material, so I hope not!
Posted by Valerie Finnigan at 4:16 PM

And there was a part two...

http://characterdviven.blogspot.com/2011/09/pirhanas-pariahs-and-me-oh-my-part-2.html

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pirhanas, Pariahs, and Me, Oh My! Part 2

Yes, apparently there is need for a part 2.

It all began when I signed a contract to appear at what I'll call the Nowheresville Comic Festival. Before I'd done so, however, I went through the contract with a fine-toothed comb and discussed the details with a friend who'd been in the comic book industry since I was a kid. The contract met our high standards, barring a couple of typos. I also looked up the name of the organizer,a person I'll call Tripp Nolan. I was horrified by what I found on line- accusations of mistreatment and non-payment so horribly presented that my conscience constrained me to doubt. Forum threads devoted to years-old accusations- closed and started up again, and again, and again- by some of the same people made me worry a little that they might be harboring a vendetta. The persistent name-dropping of people who may have signed one letter of complaint, but who otherwise remained quiet from then out made me wonder how these people felt about being so repeatedly trotted out. And with the childish taunts, bullying tactics, even the baseless character aspersions against people I know that so heavily interspersed what passed for discussion, why should I believe anything posted by people who resort to them so frequently?

But on the other hand, what if there was something to those accusations? I didn't want to believe completely that anyone was actually lying. Perhaps there was some misunderstanding. Suppose what they were saying was true, or at least a part of the truth? Keeping all that in mind, I sought Mr. Nolan's side of the story.

It seemed benign enough. He confirmed that judgments had been issued against him for non-payment, but it was all a misunderstanding. I advised him that it would be best to either appeal the decisions or pay the judgments and get it over with. He reassured me that he would deal with it. The one thing that raised a red flag was that he made a disparaging remark about another writer I'll call Ginny Simons. She was on my FB friend list, was a willing member of a group I'd started, and expressed a willingness to work on a benefit project I was helping write. I can think of a few things I tolerate less than talking smack about people, but it's a pretty short and vile list. I told him to keep his remarks about her or anyone else civil.

It didn't even raise a red flag when he delayed booking my travel arrangements for the convention, but then, this was very early on. I tried to make things as easy as possible. Flying me anywhere from where I live can be a little difficult and quite expensive. I urged that he book my husband and me to fly out of Salt Lake City instead of our hometown airport and fly us to New York City- where we'd have to stop anyway- instead of the smaller and much more expensive airport closer to the convention. We could handle the drive and/or the train ride. I felt limousine transportation was a little much, and I refused to fly first class. The only special request I had was that I be allowed a few extra days in New York City, because I wished to meet in person some of the beneficiaries of this benefit book- some of New York's Bravest and Finest. But the one thing I stressed most was that our tickets needed to be booked soon, because fares from Utah to New York were already high and bound only to get worse. He said I would hear from a travel manager closer to the date.

I figured if the convention really wanted to and could afford to shell out as much as a couple thousand to fly a fairly new writer and her spouse across the country, that was their business. But if they didn't or couldn't, and they didn't book promptly, I wouldn't go. I most certainly would not shell out any money up front to go, since that was not in the contract, and I didn't have the means to put any money out anyway. And I did all that before anyone told me to google Tripp Nolan.
Posted by Valerie Finnigan at 8:56 PM

Now, I agree one thousand percent with Gail. Lesson learned and Olney avoided is always the best outcome. But I also feel, and this is my opinion only, that Tony has a valid point for asking for a simple mea culpa just to settle the feelings of friction some people might have.

No one is asking for the rites of contrition here. Tony and the room tried to give warning where warning was due, and got a bit of pushback on it. But like Gail and Mac have said, there's a long list of people who where dancing in Valerie's crocs once upon a time, and came back to the room with "I'm sorry for not seeing what you were trying to show me. You were right."

I think what ruffled some feathers was the lack of the "I'm sorry" part of that, and the "you guys insulted so-and-so" when, to be frank, his ideology leaves him open for insults. But he's a grownup who can deal with that issue himself.

Has any of what I said made sense to anyone? If not, that's my fault. I've had a long day, and I'm tired. I thought I had the strength to tell an unbelieveably funny story about Rick Olney that happened today!!!! You won't believe me when I tell you what happened. But I'll save it for tomorrow. Just please everybody have a peaceful and pleasant night??

Artful Angie
10-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Wait. Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the 'legally actionable' stuff referred to Olney?

I took that to mean NOT Rick, and Tony and others based Tony's post. Hence my long rambling post.

bert
10-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Well said, the both of you.

ditto.

bert
10-01-2011, 06:45 PM

no, she was referring to those who tried to warn her.

the meaning was clear as day, which is why I stayed far clear of her (if you can't say something nice. . you know?).

but yeah. . . her standing up for homophobic assholes like CJ got me to post.

my "respect" for this woman is miniscule.

which is absolutely NOT saying that I wouldn't support something she produces for Untold Stories from Ground Zero -- but it does mean that I would think carefully before supporting something she's doing for her own profit.

my mind is open enough to be changed (unlike a homophobe's mind).

J.R. LeMar
10-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Has any of what I said made sense to anyone? If not, that's my fault.

It makes perfect sense to me. And I say this as someone who has publicly accused you of crossing the line and going too far more than once in your zeal against Olney, but this post was totally reasonable. I don't recall if those blog posts had been posted here before, but this is the first I've read them. There's several things I could go after in them but, like with the other folks who came to their senses, there's no need to twist the nail on every single thing someone once said. But, yes, a simple, I was wrong, would be nice. Matt Busch actually came directly came here more than once making some pretty absurd claims against people, but when he saw the light he came here and straight out said Y'all were right, I was wrong, and that was that. He didn't have to grovel, but he acknowledged that he was wrong, which we all respect.

Although I do see a pattern in some of the people who were some of Olney's staunchest defenders @ one point. He gets people who may experienced their own problems online, where they feel that they were maligned, and so they're more likely to give him the benefit of the doubt, which is understandable. Ronee had been attacked over her articles about the Taki Soma situation, Clayton had his troubles regarding that monument, Matt had his public feud with Steve Niles, and Valerie said she's had people lying about her too. So I can see how they might first see Olney has just another scapegoat. It's like how, for years, I used to try to give The Church of Scientology the benefit of the doubt, as all the various accusations about that group started coming out, and I've defended Tom Cruise and other Scientologists online before, because I used to be a Muslim, so I know what it's like to have people making up lies about your religion.

And, hey, Valerie and I do have something in common. I'm also an ex-regular of IMWAN and The John Byrne Forum and eventually self-banned myself from both, for various reasons.

HamsterRage
10-01-2011, 07:05 PM

Nope, it seems she's referring to Tony.

Valerie Finnigan
10-01-2011, 07:09 PM

I, on the other hand, believe otherwise. It is possible to disagree even on those issues with him and still be counted among his friends. I ought to know. Besides, the insults are irrelevant and make this thread look bad.

bert
10-01-2011, 07:13 PM
as a gay man, *I* do not believe his insults are "irrelevant"

and this thread has done way more good than harm, unlike closed minded opinions from self declared keepers of the moral high-ground (and to be clear, I am referring to people like CJ, not yoursef).

J.R. LeMar
10-01-2011, 07:21 PM
I, on the other hand, believe otherwise. It is possible to disagree even on those issues with him and still be counted among his friends. I ought to know. Besides, the insults are irrelevant and make this thread look bad.

This is a board with a high number of homosexuals, bisexuals, and transgendered individuals on it, along with a high number of straight people who, like me, have family members and other loved ones who are are members of the GLBT community. Some of whom have faced extremely horrible incidents of discrimination and/or physical abuse because of who they are. If someone who thinks that allowing "homos" (his word) to serve openly in the U.S. Military is a bad thing because it's comparable to society condoning "incest and bestiality" thinks this board looks bad, because some people call him names like an "ignorant hate-mongering bigot" (my words), I personally don't give a fuck.

Seriously, you are NOT going to find any sympathy on this here.

Valerie Finnigan
10-01-2011, 08:03 PM
as a gay man, *I* do not believe his insults are "irrelevant"

and this thread has done way more good than harm, unlike closed minded opinions from self declared keepers of the moral high-ground (and to be clear, I am referring to people like CJ, not yoursef).

Insulting him is irrelevant to the whole point of this thread, and insulting a soldier who is currently deployed over his political views (when he'd put his life on the line to protect your right to your views) doesn't look good to the veterans' organizations we defend. Regardless of how despicable you find his views, it's not fair to ignore the good he's done, for instance in exposing military dating scams and trying to remove the stigma associated with PTSD. Furthermore, I count CJ as a friend- even though I am a bisexual who is glad DADT was repealed and wished that had happened before her own attempt at enlistment. I don't even like it when people insult people I despise. We should all be better than that.

Now as for why I won't say, "I'm sorry, you were right," it's because while you were right about Olney, I don't feel I did any wrong in stating my desires. I will say that I am sorry I wasn't clear enough and was subsequently misconstrued as calling Tony a "malicious bully," because it is neither what I intended nor what I actually said. I just said that I already had googled Rick Olney. I also pointed out also that the line between looking out for comic book creators and bullying in the name of protecting creators looked a little too thin for my comfort, and I wanted nothing to do with anything that smacked remotely of the latter.

And we're back to why I don't think this thread or any intended to alert creators to the shysters in (or trying to claim some place in) the industry is the best place to go insulting people. It only causes more confusion.

bert
10-01-2011, 08:09 PM
insulting a soldier who is currently deployed over his political views (when he'd put his life on the line to protect your right to your views) doesn't look good to the veterans' organizations we defend.

and boo-fucking-hoo.

he's not "putting his life on the line to protect" my rights (even if you intend this to mean my right to have a view).

he doesn't give a crap about my rights.

he believes I don't deserve any rights.

and he can piss off.

and you, miss, are just as bad -- your zeal to "defend" this scum, instead of just saying "he's my friend, and I'm sorry you don't agree with him" and leaving it the hell alone -- reveals an awful lot about yourself and your lack of understanding and compassion for those that are not married (legally).

Don't you *dare* bring up that he's currently deployed, and imply that if I disagree with him that I don't appreciate the military or that in any way I am unpatriotic -- which is EXACTLY what you are implying.

go take a long walk off a short pier. . I'm done with you now too.

buh buy!

J.R. LeMar
10-01-2011, 08:14 PM
I knew that was coming. The old "How dare you insult an AMERICA SOLDIER, whose fighting for your freedom" canard. Lemme guess, next it'll be "YOU'RE the ones who are sounding like the real BIGOTS for attacking his beliefs." I've seen this all before. It's predictable and tiring. I don't care where he's deployed, or if he's Captain America. He's a sick bigot. If you choose to be friends with bigots, that's your business. And, nobody said he didn't have the right to his views. He does. And he has the right to express them publicly. And he does. And, in that link I posted, he seemed very comfortable not only expressing his views, but defending them multiple times. And we have the right to comment on them. If you don't like it, then don't read it.

bert
10-01-2011, 08:16 PM
I knew that was coming. The old "How dare you insult an AMERICA SOLDIER, whose fighting for your freedom" canard. Lemme guess, next it'll be "YOU'RE the ones who are sounding like the real BIGOTS for attacking his beliefs." I've seen this all before. It's predictable and tiring. I don't care where he's deployed, or if he's Captain America. He's a sick bigot. If you choose to be friends with bigots, that's your business. And, nobody said he didn't have the right to his views. He does. And he has the right to express them publicly. And he does. And, in that link I posted, he seemed very comfortable not only expressing his views, but defending them multiple times. And we have the right to comment on them. If you don't like it, then don't read it.

I'm only slightly surprised that the "you don't support the troops" came out before a comparison to Hitler showed up.

Spotted Valerie for who/what she is from the moment she arrived with her passive/aggressive posts.

Flamebird
10-01-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm only slightly surprised that the "you don't support the troops" came out before a comparison to Hitler showed up.

Spotted Valerie for who/what she is from the moment she arrived with her passive/aggressive posts.

I thought we were all supposed to be playing nice now.
Or was that just me?

bert
10-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't play nice with people who basically tell me to sit down and shut up because if not I'm unpatriotic.

Surprised you haven't voiced an opinion, to be honest, 'cause surely *you* read exactly what *I* read

edit: 'course, I have her on ignore now, so I AM playing "nice" :)

Flamebird
10-01-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't play nice with people who basically tell me to sit down and shut up because if not I'm unpatriotic.

Surprised you haven't voiced an opinion, to be honest, 'cause surely *you* read exactly what *I* read

edit: 'course, I have her on ignore now, so I AM playing "nice" :)

I sure did, but it's been made clear that my opinion isn't wanted here.
So I'll just sit and laugh at all the chest beating.
As far as Valerie goes, yeah she's on my "pretend she doesn't exist" list.

Seems like ever since Benny Leal, olney has run out of honest people to rip-off.

HamsterRage
10-01-2011, 10:05 PM

Seconded.

I don't have much to say that hasn't already been covered here.

I will add that I'm very proud of this and the other thread, JR blog posts, Unscrewed and for the most part all the efforts done to stop Rick and alert people about Rick.

KJ!
10-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Insulting him is irrelevant to the whole point of this thread, and insulting a soldier who is currently deployed over his political views (when he'd put his life on the line to protect your right to your views) doesn't look good to the veterans' organizations we defend. Regardless of how despicable you find his views, it's not fair to ignore the good he's done, for instance in exposing military dating scams and trying to remove the stigma associated with PTSD. Furthermore, I count CJ as a friend- even though I am a bisexual who is glad DADT was repealed and wished that had happened before her own attempt at enlistment. I don't even like it when people insult people I despise. We should all be better than that.

Now as for why I won't say, "I'm sorry, you were right," it's because while you were right about Olney, I don't feel I did any wrong in stating my desires. I will say that I am sorry I wasn't clear enough and was subsequently misconstrued as calling Tony a "malicious bully," because it is neither what I intended nor what I actually said. I just said that I already had googled Rick Olney. I also pointed out also that the line between looking out for comic book creators and bullying in the name of protecting creators looked a little too thin for my comfort, and I wanted nothing to do with anything that smacked remotely of the latter.

And we're back to why I don't think this thread or any intended to alert creators to the shysters in (or trying to claim some place in) the industry is the best place to go insulting people. It only causes more confusion.

You're full of shit, he's full of shit, and pulling the 'Uhmerikan Patriot Card 101' is BULLSHIT.

In exposing one fraudster, and assisting those he's conned/attempted to con, DOESN'T mean that we lost sight of our other values. It doesn't mean that we compromise and allow the sort of vile libelous bile Grisham has spouted, just because he's a soldier. That doesn't even come into the equation. Disgusting statements ARE disgusting statements, whether you're a street-sweeper or a president.

HamsterRage
10-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I also would like to add that bullying a bully is self defense.

Sorry that confuses Val.

Valerie Finnigan
10-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Bullying a bully makes one a bully. You know, "An eye for an eye will leave us all blind."

HamsterRage
10-01-2011, 11:48 PM
I like how your moral high horse allows for bigotry and hate speech, but doesn't allow for any flexibility or understanding that a man who threatened people and careers with lawsuits, blackmail, theft and destruction of property, legal and physical threats etc earned the right to be openly mocked.

That along with your bizarre sense of entitlement and passive aggressive behavior is why I don't respect your criticisms of the people within this thread.

Matt Doc Martin
10-02-2011, 04:29 AM
I sure did, but it's been made clear that my opinion isn't wanted here.
So I'll just sit and laugh at all the chest beating.
As far as Valerie goes, yeah she's on my "pretend she doesn't exist" list.

Seems like ever since Benny Leal, olney has run out of honest people to rip-off.

I also would like to add that bullying a bully is self defense.

Sorry that confuses Val.

Bullying a bully makes one a bully. You know, "An eye for an eye will leave us all blind."

I like how your moral high horse allows for bigotry and hate speech, but doesn't allow for any flexibility or understanding that a man who threatened people and careers with lawsuits, blackmail, theft and destruction of property, legal and physical threats etc earned the right to be openly mocked.

That along with your bizarre sense of entitlement and passive aggressive behavior is why I don't respect your criticisms of the people within this thread.

Olney IS mocked, but the most effective response to simply to point out his own words and actions.

And sorry, Valerie, but CJ seems to be a reprehensible troglodyte. And I am a former soldier who served with a gay man (maybe more...we never asked).

I am glad you were not ripped off, but at the rate you are going, I wonder if maybe you needed to be to "get it".

Please step back and think before you continue to dig. Rule of holes and all.

Matt Doc Martin
10-02-2011, 04:40 AM
And looks like Richard Olney II is doubling down with his stolen goods:

Yes! You can still get a highly collectible Indiana Jones Map until November 15, 2012 by contacting the Adirondack ComicFest at: rick.olney@gmail.com

Cost: $59.95 (includes mailing costs)
Details: Posters are sent out within 48 hours after order receipt. Sorry, No personal checks or credit cards shall be accepted. Payment shall ONLY be accepted in the form of (USPS) United States Postal Money Order form made payable to Richard L. Olney.

Mail to: Richard L. Olney, 147 West Main Street, Mohawk, New York 13407-1032

Presently there are plenty maps on hand. All monies gained from the sales of these maps shall be donated to a disabled veterans charity to be made public at the conclusion of this sales period. After that date, the unsold quantity of maps shall be returned to Matt Busch, and all donation information shall be released publicly. So don't wait, because they could sell out!
Artist Matt Busch gives a behind-the-scenes look at the illustrated Indiana Jones World Map, showing all of the locations that Indy has made archeological discoveries- not just the movies- but the novels, the comic books, the Young Indy TV shows, the video games, and more. Years in the making, there are 36 different archeological artifacts displayed with legend sections listing info on the items. The Key chart lets you decipher symbols for each artifact to see how the story was presented, be it film, novel, TV Episode, etc... Here, Busch shares some insight into the extensive research and detail he put into illustrating this monumental image. Authorized through Lucasfilm, all proceeds from the sale of this print go to American veterans who are disabled. The print measures a whopping 24" X 36" (fit for a world map!) and easy to frame in any standard movie poster size frame. All prints are signed and numbered (limited edition) by Matt Busch.
Get them while they're hot! (no pun intended!)

I sure hope Matt Busch fires up the lawyers soon.

Outsider
10-02-2011, 04:52 AM
http://i.imgur.com/0d0B7s.jpg (http://imgur.com/0d0B7)

http://i.imgur.com/A6IuGs.jpg (http://imgur.com/A6IuG)

KJ!
10-02-2011, 05:23 AM
Notice the tags? 'Richard L Olney' AND 'Rick Olney'.

Can we please have the thread title updated to include both names. We need to be sure he's not scamming people with the differentiation.

But I'm sure THIS is bullying too, wanting someone to stop selling stolen goods?

Oh wait, Olney's bigoted too. So of course it's fine.

Tony Isabella
10-02-2011, 05:31 AM
He's advertising stolen property for sale?!

I hope Matt is on top of this.

Gaelforce
10-02-2011, 05:37 AM
Insulting him is irrelevant to the whole point of this thread, and insulting a soldier who is currently deployed over his political views

Homophobia isn't a politcal view. It's an ethical defect. Don't confuse the two.

Gail Simone
10-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Oh, good lord.

Valerie, with all due respect, those blog posts are so full of self-serving bullshit, I barely know what to say.

You've made this story so conveniently goofy that it no longer means anything.

First, I don't know a thing about the Byrne board situation, or Imwan, I don't even know what that last one is.

And I don't care to this day. Everyone's had an online kerfuffle. Who cares?

But you have left out quite a lot, haven't you?

First, I didn't contact you OR talk about you. I say again, the reason we know this is because I had no idea who you are. You had apparently contacted me in the past about contributing to the soldiers book and I had agreed, but I do dozens of such things and don't keep track of who did the asking in particular. So I did not mention you specifically, and had no idea who you were. The worst I said was that some people were making fools of themselves. Which I stand by and your posts only reinforce. But it was most definitely not aimed at you, I didn't know who you were.

YOU came to me on Facebook with an angry, vaguely threatening private message, did you somehow forget that? Telling me to be careful next time I talked about you, blah blah blah, which I had never done, as I think you well know. I found your attitude, which you have expressed very differently here, nauseating and said so.

Here, you've made yourself into a paragon of virtue regarding not listening to gossip. But that was not the impression in your FB ims at all, they were more consistently along the lines of, "well, he hasn't cheated ME yet, so who cares what else he's done?" which is a lot more about being selfish and a lot less about caring about the soldiers. It was, in fact, the most blatant display of not caring about others I have seen in this experience, barring Olney himself. And you reiterated that message again and again, "He hasn't cheated me yet, why should I care what he's done in the past?" I found that despicable and said so.

HOWEVER, screw all that, I was willing to just put it aside, I don't care that much about the past once someone gets that they've been wrong. It hurts to realize you've been duped, which you have, as I had, as a lot of us have. It takes a while to let that soak in, and it's not fun. And it's not helped by people berating you. I get all that.

But these posts are pure self-serving nonsense. We're not bullying a 'bully.' We are bullying a serial con man who has cheated dozens of freelancers. You don't care about that, that's your choice. But we have prevented a lot of people, people like your friends, from being cheated similarly. We developed a charity designed to help victims of people like Olney. And we have helped his victims in a variety of ways.

Your skepticism, which you have presented as a noble thing, seems like incredibly obtuse self-serving silliness to me. Like most Olney victims, you bought the bullshit because you WANTED it to be true.

As for the names of pros who have come out against Olney? Go ahead and ask them again today what they think of him and see if they still maintain their low opinions. Ask Val Staples, Scott Reed, Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek, Paul Smith, Mike Netzer, Chuck Dixon, on and on. Your tortured dismissal of them is ridiculous and not based on reality.

In short, I'm pretty unimpressed by the nonsense in those posts. You have every right to your opinion on this thread. You do not have the right to ignore reality because it makes you look better.

YOU came to me with an angry FB dm while you were still under the delusion that Rick was going to treat you like a celebrity and shower you with adulation. I did not mention you, name you, or refer to you, and was in fact completely baffled by you when you DID identify yourself. Everyone else we spoke with at least acknowledged that the rights of all the cheated freelancers were important. Of the entire group, you were the only one who made it clear you could not care less who Rick had cheated in the past.

I STILL would overlook all that. You were chumped, a lot of us were. Trying to spin it that you looked over a RIDICULOUS contract that any fool would know was bullshit "with a fine tooth comb" and found it perfect just shows how deeply you bought into his nonsense. That contract was cut and pasted from a venue/band agreement and made virtually no sense at all in this context.

I'm sorry. I sensed immediately that you from your fb posts that you did not want to hear or face the truth, and that still seems to be the case. The REASON I mentioned that you were not yet an experienced freelancer is because that is exactly the person that Rick is most likely to target and take advantage of. AND that it was a little ridiculous to be lectured about all of this when, between the two of us, only one of us had actually EXPERIENCED Rick's method of con artistry.

IF your post here was meant to threaten Tony or myself, I have to say, the only explanation I can possibly come up with that is that you are continuing to kid yourself. We tried our best to prevent you, your friends, and your organization from being taken advantage of. If you live in a world where you think we were targeting you because we wanted to hurt your feelings, you seriously should grow up and take a second look at reality.

These posts and your recent posts here have the same kind of angry upset that your FB DMs did, but with even less reason. It's just, well, it's sad.

I don't need, want, or care about an apology. We've been dealing with victims of Rick's for eight years now. And we stand on the side of the people who were ripped off, abused, threatened and insulted.

I'm still not sure where you stand, Valerie.

Gail Simone
10-02-2011, 05:43 AM
The truth is, a person can serve their country with honor and distinction, and still be a racist, a homophobe, or a misogynist. People can have greatness in them and still be flawed creeps in other ways. I don't know this man. I am grateful for his service.

But I have absolutely no hesitation in condemning his homophobic views. Would you defend him the same way if his comments were racist? It's ridiculous.

However, he's also barely relevant to the ongoing discussion, and I'm loathe to spend too much more time on him. He's not part of the convention, or related to Olney's problems. And he's not here to defend himself.

Valerie defends his service and considers him a friend, even as a bisexual woman. Most of the rest of us value his service and think his views are reprehensible. That sounds about right to me in both cases.

Gail Simone
10-02-2011, 05:50 AM
Quit bullying the man trying to sell the stolen goods that were the dream project of the artist he stole them from!

Don't you know he plans to donate the money to a charity if he gets around to it to be named later, maybe?

You guys are so MEAN! I am so skeptical of you!

PS. We closed the thread previously because:

1) the first thread had SO MANY people who had been cheated, it got too big for CBR's servers, and

2) I moved my message board to a different site.

How anyone makes a conspiracy out of that is completely beyond me. Good lord.

Gail Simone
10-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Eh,

On second thought, I don't care that much.

Valerie, I think you conveniently make yourself a hero in your own narrative, no matter what the facts are or how selfishly you behaved. That is not a great way to live. But it's your business. You step over the line when you make villains out of people who made the terrible sin of trying to tell you the truth you eventually found out for yourself.

But I don't care that much. It's your business. You're still welcome here, or not, it's your call.

Tony Isabella
10-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Gail, given her comments and her nigh-invisible credits, I think none of us needs to waste any more time on another delusional wannabee living in her own fantasy world. We may all be the heroes of our own stories, but some of those stories carry more truth than others.

bert
10-02-2011, 07:55 AM
and the "ignore" button gives you the choice to remove the non-essential "characters" from the narrative.

(just sayin:)).

The Hero Maker
10-02-2011, 08:14 AM
On another note I just wanted to let you guys know that I am presently doing FREE penciled Portraits of our Fallen Heroes for any Gold Star family that request one so if you know of a Gold star family that you think would like one please have them contact us. Here is the link to the webpage to see some of the portraits I have already done for Gold Star Families. http://www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.org/portraitsofthefallen.htm

MyNameIsNotLarry
10-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Speaking of delusional...

Rick added a comment to his Sequential Soul blog post, "A Very Timely Statement"

Rick Olney said...

I don't work for free either. If you expect an answer to the questions you continuously ask and already know the answer for send $19.95 to:

Pay As You Go
386 East Main Street
Ilion, New York 13357

Remember to include your return mailing address for our prompt reply. Thank you.
October 1, 2011 1:23 PM
http://sequentialsoul.blogspot.com/2011/09/very-timely-statement.html#comments

Tom Stillwell
10-02-2011, 08:27 AM
One thing that always gets me when people deal with Olney is the suspension of belief he somehow generates.

I've been writing comics now for almost seven years. I've been able to gather a small following of faithful readers. I'm still a relative nobody. The 2-3 conventions I do a year are typically paid for out of pocket. I'm to the point now that some conventions invite me and comp a table. However, none pay my way and/or pay me a fee for attending. That would be nice but like I said, I'm a nobody. I'm not there yet. I don't draw enough people to justify the expense.

That's why I'd be very surprised if a convention offered to do those things for me at this point. I'd be more than surprised if this same convention was a small, brand new show in the middle of nowhere. I'd find that very suspect. I'd be alarmed once I looked over the contract and realized the organizer had no idea what he was doing legally. And big clanging alarm bells would be going off when I found out this event was somehow supposed to raise money for charity despite the organizer planning to spend thousands of dollars on a nobody like me.

Let's say I didn't have the common sense to Google the organizer's name first to see if they were on the up and up. Shouldn't all of those red flags been enough for me to walk away? Yet time and time again we've seen people willing to trust Olney while ignoring common sense. I just don't get it.

MyNameIsNotLarry
10-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Rick still trying to sell the maps isn't much of a shock. He's shown himself to be just that dumb on countless occasions before.

Besides making sure his lawyers see this, Matt Busch should (By the way, someone should send him the links, I doubt he comes here daily or visits Rick's blogs at all) make sure to make a note on his website, facebook and most especially YouTube page not to do business with Rick. 90% or more of the people who will see Rick's blogs are from here, they aren't going to be scammed. The people who view it from Rick's Facebook are his friends who from what I can gather are doubtful to buy an Indiana Jones map.

It's the 1% of people who will Google Matt's name that then find Rick's blogs who are most at risk. If Matt has the information on his sites they'll get the facts from the artist himself which is much easier then trying to wade through this thread. Though honestly in reading Rick's blogs, what person is not going to have red flags galore go up when Rick won't say the charity name and says he will only reveal it at a later date?

Also, right now Rick has stolen goods. If he sells anything, that's selling stolen goods. While it would suck for the person who bought it, for Matt and for the unnamed charity, it would pretty much make it certain that Rick will have finally crossed a line that gets him in very serious trouble with the law.

Matt Doc Martin
10-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Speaking of delusional...

Rick added a comment to his Sequential Soul blog post, "A Very Timely Statement"

http://sequentialsoul.blogspot.com/2011/09/very-timely-statement.html#comments

a) Is he retarded?
b) Whose picture is he using as an avatar now?

KJ!
10-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Rick still trying to sell the maps isn't much of a shock. He's shown himself to be just that dumb on countless occasions before.

Besides making sure his lawyers see this, Matt Busch should (By the way, someone should send him the links, I doubt he comes here daily or visits Rick's blogs at all) make sure to make a note on his website, facebook and most especially YouTube page not to do business with Rick. 90% or more of the people who will see Rick's blogs are from here, they aren't going to be scammed. The people who view it from Rick's Facebook are his friends who from what I can gather are doubtful to buy an Indiana Jones map.

It's the 1% of people who will Google Matt's name that then find Rick's blogs who are most at risk. If Matt has the information on his sites they'll get the facts from the artist himself which is much easier then trying to wade through this thread. Though honestly in reading Rick's blogs, what person is not going to have red flags galore go up when Rick won't say the charity name and says he will only reveal it at a later date?

Also, right now Rick has stolen goods. If he sells anything, that's selling stolen goods. While it would suck for the person who bought it, for Matt and for the unnamed charity, it would pretty much make it certain that Rick will have finally crossed a line that gets him in very serious trouble with the law.

I've emailed Matt already.

Deegan
10-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Edit: Double post.

Deegan
10-02-2011, 08:53 AM
One thing that always gets me when people deal with Olney is the suspension of belief he somehow generates.

I've been writing comics now for almost seven years. I've been able to gather a small following of faithful readers. I'm still a relative nobody. The 2-3 conventions I do a year are typically paid for out of pocket. I'm to the point now that some conventions invite me and comp a table. However, none pay my way and/or pay me a fee for attending. That would be nice but like I said, I'm a nobody. I'm not there yet. I don't draw enough people to justify the expense.

That's why I'd be very surprised if a convention offered to do those things for me at this point. I'd be more than surprised if this same convention was a small, brand new show in the middle of nowhere. I'd find that very suspect. I'd be alarmed once I looked over the contract and realized the organizer had no idea what he was doing legally. And big clanging alarm bells would be going off when I found out this event was somehow supposed to raise money for charity despite the organizer planning to spend thousands of dollars on a nobody like me.

Let's say I didn't have the common sense to Google the organizer's name first to see if they were on the up and up. Shouldn't all of those red flags been enough for me to walk away? Yet time and time again we've seen people willing to trust Olney while ignoring common sense. I just don't get it.

Tom, a lot of people just feel really honored by the recognition, and if that's the first feeling someone gets from an organizer, it can be tough to fight that. One of the nicest nights of my life was get a $50 first prize for a short story I did about the Altoona railroad. To have someone that offers to pay thousands of dollars to make the con experience easier for you... I'm not sure how I'd respond even if good counter-information had been given to me. I'd like to say I'd fall on the side of reason, but I'm sure everyone would say that.

But man, the bigger issue is Rick selling those maps off his personal blog. Thank goodness he's a nobody -- I think we're 80% of his audience -- but that's still a scumbag thing to do. Hopefully he'll realize how much trouble he can get into with this scheme and erase the post like everything else.

HamsterRage
10-02-2011, 08:54 AM

JR made a really good point upthread about how Olney tends towards people who've had their own bouts of being made to feel like outcasts... Rick seems to prey on that.

Gail Simone
10-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Okay, it's grouchy stuff, but we don't need name calling...what's done is done. I say everyone, including me takes a step back, okay? What do you say?

MacQuarrie
10-02-2011, 10:44 AM

The key point here is this: You said that CJ was insulted here because of his connection to the convention. That's false. He was insulted here only for his comments about homosexuals. Yes, the insults ARE irrelevant to the main discussion, but that is the point. You brought him up as an example of people who were attacked for their connection to Olney, and that is simply not true.

Tony Isabella
10-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Okay, it's grouchy stuff, but we don't need name calling...what's done is done. I say everyone, including me takes a step back, okay? What do you say?

I say that if you poke the bear then you get what you deserve.

SarahBeach
10-02-2011, 12:10 PM
I'd just as soon let the matter of Valerie drop, except that she has characterized the participants in this thread as "stalkerish", and I have a really big contention with that!

Look, we do not go out of our way to try and track every single thing Rick does in his life. Yes, we keep an eye on his internet activity, because he shows up in the darnest places and once again begins throwing out his bait for possible victims. And we are committed to the idea of preventing anyone from becoming his victim. Frankly, I don't consider that stalking, but rather preventative care.

What I do call stalkerish is Richard L. Olney II, and his behavior toward me. You, Valerie, might consider it insignificant, and in terms of actual effect it is -- but twice in the last eight months, Rick has abscounded with photos of me (specifically, lifted photos copyrighted by friends of mine without their permission), and posted them on his blog along with near-slanderous or just sniping comments. I don't care all that much about his comments because he has no credibility, although I do put my foot down on anything that can affect my professional standing in even the slightest way. But I most certainly will not stand by while he thieves copyrighted material from my friends who are not even part of the comic book arena!

I really feel your high-horse condemnation of the participants here willfully overlooks this type of documented behavior on Rick's part. And if you think he'd stop doing that sort of thing, ever, you are mistaken. He thinks he's found targets he can entertain himself by irritating -- poking the ant hill and watching people scramble. He thinks he's the large human looking at tiny ants. The reality is that he is the bug, one that has a nasty annoying bite, like a fire ant. But the fire ant named Rick Olney is biting real sized human beings, who brush off the ant and deal with the localized irritation the fire-ant venom causes.

Regarding Rick's attempts to sell the maps he has in hand -- We need to be sure and get the word out that Rick is NOT an authorized vendor of these maps, not by LucasFilm nor Matt Busch. And that he is not authorized to be running a fundraising drive by any known charity that benefits disabled veterans, or veterans of any sort. If anyone wants to go this far, they can also add that we have no verified proof that Rick Olney has ever delivered funds to any charity he claimed would be benefiting from his efforts.

Artful Angie
10-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Someone please notify Matt.

1) He has to file a police report in his local area. Report them as stolen. Provide copies of the email requests for them to be returned. Porvide the threat Rick made that he will burn them. Provide the copy of the screen caps showing his attempt to sell them and his request for money to be mailed to his home address.

2) Take a copy of that police report and fax it to the Herkimer County Sheriff's Office. Advise them that you are requesting they go to Rick's home and remove the stolen maps.

3) MATT!!! PM me and I will go with the police to Rick's home. That's right. I am willing to give up the anonymity of being faceless to Rick in order to return your maps. Rick will finally see who in his inner circle is really behind Artful Angie. It's worth it to make sure Rick doesn't earn a penny that he doesn't deserve.

So when you PM me, I will give you my personal info. Then you can advise the Sheriff's Office that I am able to have the maps turned over to me, and I'll mail them to you.

As an added bonus, I'll even record Rick's arrest for possesion of stolen property, and quite possibly the FEDERAL charge of interstate mail fraud. Requesting people use Postal Money Orders to purchase stolen property when he is fully aware the maps are stolen is a federal offense or two.

I doubt they'll do anything to him on the grounds of making claims to collect funds for a non-existant charity, though. They'll be able to see his past history of this, but will say until the funds where used by him for anything BUT a charity he didn't technically commit a crime this time for that.

HamsterRage
10-02-2011, 12:51 PM
I informed Matt already on our Facebook Group.

Calm it down Angie. You're a little too invested here dude.

MacQuarrie
10-02-2011, 02:25 PM
b) Whose picture is he using as an avatar now?
That's me, from last year's Halloween party, wearing the blonde wig my daughter bought for her Glinda the Good Witch costume. I guess I'm supposed to be bothered by it. If the picture bothered me, it would never have been posted on Facebook in the first place. Hell, it never would have been taken in the first place.

Matt Doc Martin
10-02-2011, 02:29 PM
That's me, from last year's Halloween party, wearing the blonde wig my daughter bought for her Glinda the Good Witch costume. I guess I'm supposed to be bothered by it. If the picture bothered me, it would never have been posted on Facebook in the first place. Hell, it never would have been taken in the first place.

Ah. So just Olney being a prick again, and using photos belonging to other people as his own.

MacQuarrie
10-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Ah. So just Olney being a prick again, and using photos belonging to other people as his own.
In other news, water continues to be wet.

Matt Doc Martin
10-02-2011, 02:50 PM
In other news, water continues to be wet.

If I had any skill with Photoshop and was petty, I would have a new avatar featuring Ella. But I don't and I am not.

Gail Simone
10-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Except for Artie inserting himself or herself, I hope that IS what Matt does. Those maps don't belong to Rick, he doesn't have authorization to sell them.

I hope Matt DOES call the cops if Rick won't return them.

Gail Simone
10-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Tony, I understand, and it's off-putting hearing that stuff when, well, let's face it, we knew what we were talking about and everything we predicted happened. But still I think it's not that big a deal, people make mistakes and we all say dumb things.

Matt Doc Martin
10-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Except for Artie inserting himself or herself, I hope that IS what Matt does. Those maps don't belong to Rick, he doesn't have authorization to sell them.

I hope he has called the cops already and that LucasFilm lawyers are reading Rick Olney's ramblings.

coveredinbees
10-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Let's say I didn't have the common sense to Google the organizer's name first to see if they were on the up and up. Shouldn't all of those red flags been enough for me to walk away? Yet time and time again we've seen people willing to trust Olney while ignoring common sense. I just don't get it.Some people are really trusting and gullible. I sure am. I hope I wouldn't, but I could see myself falling for Olney until I Googled him and the convention out of curiosity and excitement. It's sad and embarrassing, but sometimes people don't pay enough attention to notice when great news is too great. There are probably people out there who fall for, "10000000000000th visitor to the site!!!!" scams. I don't know any, though.

Flamebird
10-02-2011, 03:36 PM
I hope he has called the cops already and that LucasFilm lawyers are reading Rick Olney's ramblings.

What a horrible thing to wish on poor innocent lawyers. ;-)

Artful Angie
10-02-2011, 04:01 PM

Actually, the only reason I offered to itsert myself into the situation is because I know how the Herkimer County Sheriff's office, as well as any of the local police (Mohawk, Ilion, or Herkimer) would handle the things.

If Matt does fax the report to the HCSO, they may go to Rick's home. And even if they do go in and get the maps, what they'll say to Matt is he needs to either come to NY to get them himself or send someone locally to pick them up. They will not make any arrangements to mail or ship them to Matt, as that falls outside the scope of their job.

So, at least having someone local he can authorize will allow them to be released into someone's hands who can ship them back quickly and carefully. That is more important to me than whatever happens to Rick, and whatever my feelings are for The Vile One.

I know I can come off as intense. But that was not my intention this time around. My only interest was to make sure Matt had a local means for getting his maps back to him quickly, versus them sitting in an evidence room waiting to be claimed. I've seen what can happen to unclaimed evidence in smaller police departments. It can be sold, donated to local shelters or or Goodwill, or just plain "lost" (i.e. decorating the homes of some of the less honorable officers).

No other hidden agenda than being the same local point of contact I've offered to anybody who wants to file against Rick in Herkimer County Small Claims Court.

JTPencils
10-02-2011, 04:06 PM

For the first time ever... I'd feel bad for lawyers.

Valerie Finnigan
10-02-2011, 08:51 PM
I'd just as soon let the matter of Valerie drop, except that she has characterized the participants in this thread as "stalkerish", and I have a really big contention with that!

Look, we do not go out of our way to try and track every single thing Rick does in his life. Yes, we keep an eye on his internet activity, because he shows up in the darnest places and once again begins throwing out his bait for possible victims. And we are committed to the idea of preventing anyone from becoming his victim. Frankly, I don't consider that stalking, but rather preventative care.

What I do call stalkerish is Richard L. Olney II, and his behavior toward me. You, Valerie, might consider it insignificant, and in terms of actual effect it is -- but twice in the last eight months, Rick has abscounded with photos of me (specifically, lifted photos copyrighted by friends of mine without their permission), and posted them on his blog along with near-slanderous or just sniping comments. I don't care all that much about his comments because he has no credibility, although I do put my foot down on anything that can affect my professional standing in even the slightest way. But I most certainly will not stand by while he thieves copyrighted material from my friends who are not even part of the comic book arena!

I really feel your high-horse condemnation of the participants here willfully overlooks this type of documented behavior on Rick's part. And if you think he'd stop doing that sort of thing, ever, you are mistaken. He thinks he's found targets he can entertain himself by irritating -- poking the ant hill and watching people scramble. He thinks he's the large human looking at tiny ants. The reality is that he is the bug, one that has a nasty annoying bite, like a fire ant. But the fire ant named Rick Olney is biting real sized human beings, who brush off the ant and deal with the localized irritation the fire-ant venom causes.

Regarding Rick's attempts to sell the maps he has in hand -- We need to be sure and get the word out that Rick is NOT an authorized vendor of these maps, not by LucasFilm nor Matt Busch. And that he is not authorized to be running a fundraising drive by any known charity that benefits disabled veterans, or veterans of any sort. If anyone wants to go this far, they can also add that we have no verified proof that Rick Olney has ever delivered funds to any charity he claimed would be benefiting from his efforts.

I will not say anything more without first making it clear that my opinions, whether you like them or not, are entirely my own. When I'm expressing a personal opinion regarding my personal experiences, whether it's from my heart or through a mouthful of my own foot, I'm speaking only for me. Not for Heroes Fallen, not for Clayton, Michael, CJ, or anyone else.

I am sorry you feel the way you do, but try to understand. I'm not overlooking a thing. I hope I don't have to prove myself by showing the screencaps and saved emails in which I advised Rick to leave all of you alone. And if you never broke MacQuarrie's guidlines, you're in the clear. I'm not accusing everyone here, and certainly not accusing anyone who did cause me grief (even if it was unintentional) without leaving open the possibility of mending fences. I was just asked for my impression of the whole thing, and tried to state what happened from my point of view without naming names, but also without sugarcoating.

I won't be writing or posting any more about this here or anywhere, but this sad story isn't over yet. I just hope (perhaps against hope) that we can bring it to a satisfactory conclusion.

And I am doing a bit to let people know about the only way to get a hold of the Indiana Jones map.

Gail Simone
10-02-2011, 09:13 PM
What the ****?

Valerie, I have no idea what you're on about. But if you are threatening people, please leave and don't come back.
Frankly, people tried to warn your friends, you weren't even involved until you MADE yourself involved. And let's not forget, those people who were warning your friends were dead on accurate.

This is getting absolutely bizarre. You are doing no one any service, including Fallen Heroes.

KJ!
10-02-2011, 11:12 PM
So you're now telling people how to obtain Matt's stolen property?

You're a fucking lunatic.

HamsterRage
10-03-2011, 12:54 AM
So you're now telling people how to obtain Matt's stolen property?

You're a fucking lunatic.

Val here posted on her Smart Alex blog a link to Matt's store. Unfortunately clarity is not one if Val's strengths as a writer.

HamsterRage
10-03-2011, 01:02 AM
I am sorry you feel the way you do, but try to understand. I'm not overlooking a thing. I hope I don't have to prove myself by showing the screencaps and saved emails in which I advised Rick to leave all of you alone. And if you never broke MacQuarrie's guidlines, you're in the clear. I'm not accusing everyone here, and certainly not accusing anyone who did cause me grief (even if it was unintentional) without leaving open the possibility of mending fences. I was just asked for my impression of the whole thing, and tried to state what happened from my point of view without naming names, but also without sugarcoating.

This is where you're running into trouble... Be blunt and honest here. Who are you accusing? Gail? Tony? And why?

Your points are clear as mud here and quite frankly your lack of taking responsibility for your own bad behavior while hurling insults and veiled threats at members of this thread is pretty damn disgusting.

I didn't know you from Adam when you entered this thread but you've managed to make an awful first impression on all of us here.

Stressfactor
10-03-2011, 03:57 AM
Not to interject much because I don't really have a horse in this race BUT I noiced something that I haven't seen anyone else mention in regards to R.L.O. selling the maps and I thought it was something which should be brought to attention......

R.L.O. is saying that the proceeds from the maps will be 'donated to a disabled American Veteran charity to be announced after the sales period has closed.

Now that raises some Red Flags.

Also, I'm not up on financial stuff but I find it strange that he's demanding payment in the form of a Post Office Money Order. Anyone know why this would be? Some kind of dodge?

HamsterRage
10-03-2011, 04:33 AM
he could be attempting to money launder with the money orders.