PDA

View Full Version : Rick Olney: Still does not pay freelancers or anyone else.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

leftwingnutcase
09-12-2011, 12:23 PM
It's done, the con's not happening. There's simply no time to pull it together at this point. A great con requires time to plan.

Again, we at Ithacon usually send out solicitations only three months in advance. But there is an overabundance of great talent locally and regionally, plus connections with mainstream DC/Marvel that keep us quite happy.

Deegan
09-12-2011, 12:46 PM
One thing I seemed to have missed the boat on was Rick giving out free Secret Six comics to promote his own event. What's his angle with that? I mean, someone must have bought them, right? So it's not like Gail or DC is losing money. I saw a blurb of it on his Adirondack blog and I couldn't understand the motivation.

Anyway, I think the con will happen but it will be lackluster.

Matt Doc Martin
09-12-2011, 12:54 PM
It's well past time when people should have ordered their tickets, but there is no system in place to do that. Even if people wanted to go, they can't make the necessary arrangements. Who is going to book airfare and hotel to attend an event they can't even buy a ticket for?

On the up-side, none of the people who would want to go have any idea that it exists.

It's done, the con's not happening. There's simply no time to pull it together at this point. A great con requires time to plan.

But...but...I will have 2 ways to get in for free!!! Whatever will I do with my Honorable Discharge if I cannot use it to get into this "con"?

One thing I seemed to have missed the boat on was Rick giving out free Secret Six comics to promote his own event. What's his angle with that? I mean, someone must have bought them, right? So it's not like Gail or DC is losing money. I saw a blurb of it on his Adirondack blog and I couldn't understand the motivation.

I highly doubt he planned on actually giving anything away. He picked "Secret Six" to try to get at Gail.

By the way...I just bought a ton of Secret Six trades. Need to find a copy of Six degrees of Devastation, and the last one, when it gets issued.

Cam63
09-12-2011, 02:00 PM

He's a dick. It's what they do.

The opening of an envelope will be more spectacular.

Charles RB
09-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Olney's gonna need Indy's map to get out of this shit. (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/12/now-matt-busch-turns-against-rick-olney-over-indiana-jones/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool +Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29&utm_content=FaceBook)

Way back when, MacQuarrie told us about the rule of holes.

Olney not only ignored it, he's in very real danger of invading the Mole Man's kingdom.

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Way back when, MacQuarrie told us about the rule of holes.

Olney not only ignored it, he's in very real danger of invading the Mole Man's kingdom.

In case someone has never heard of the rule of holes:

Some people simply do not grasp the Rule of Holes.

We'll go over it one more time for the slow learners....

Rule of Holes: You can not get out of a hole by digging.

As soon as you find you are in one, stop digging. The first step to gettting out of a hole is admitting you are in one. People will happily and eagerly help you get out your hole if you can admit you are in one and have put down the damn shovel already. If you continue to dig while accusing others of having put you in there, others may happily fill in your hole on top of you. If you throw your dirt at them while digging yourself in deeper, they will definitely do so.

Rick, is there any part of this that you don't get?

THEDOC
09-12-2011, 05:17 PM

RO and a great con? Will never happen. The two are incompatible.

MacQuarrie
09-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Hell, a trainwreck of a con requires time and money to put on.

I was at the Pasadena Rockin' Comic Con, a dismal failure of an event in which maybe (maybe!) 100 people showed up over three days. I'd put it closer to 50; most of the people I spoke to were exhibitors, and most of them were gone by Saturday night. It was a complete fiasco marked by incompetence from start to finish, but I know they worked on it and planned it for at least three months, maybe more, and I know they lost thousands of dollars on it. But I also know that I've never heard a single person complain about not getting paid what they were owed, and nobody ever said they felt they were ripped off by the organizers.

HamsterRage
09-12-2011, 06:16 PM
It's pretty disgusting when you see now how far the news is spreading.

I didn't think it was possible for Rick to sink lower but now that he's attempted to fuck over Veteran's charities has really struck a chord with people.

Gail Simone
09-12-2011, 07:01 PM
I hope Matt gets the maps back undamaged.

MacQuarrie
09-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Olney is not going to burn them as long as he's promoting them on his AdirondackFest blog and pretending to put on a convention.

If I were Matt, I'd be on the phone to the Herkimer County Sheriff's office reporting the posters as stolen. Depending on the quantity he has and the market value of them, he may be looking at a grand theft charge. They've heard enough about Olney over the years, I bet they'd pop right over and pick them up.

Press charges.

Gail Simone
09-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I realize Rick isn't going to burn them. But if he had to return them, I wouldn't put it past him to damage them in some way.

J.R. LeMar
09-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Yeah, Rick mentioned that in his first post about the maps Matt Busch made.

Another "unforseen", totally not Rick's fault, it was someone else's problem why Rick failed at something. Much like not being able to get a bank loan 2 weeks before the Mighty Mini-Con all those years ago was unforseen.

I see. I did notice, a few weeks ago when I spent several hour one day going through the old YABS thread, looking for certain content, that during the last half of 2010 he did occasionally make statements about how he was going to put on another convention, but I don't think anyone really noticed or paid attention because he always saying things like how he was going to be publishing comics soon, or reviving OrcaFresh magazine (remember the countdown clock?), and other grand plans that never came true. And, yes, the excuse sounds like typical Olney. Someone else screwed up, and ruined all his plans. Poor guy. Just Dave Lanphear supposedly screwed up all those payments to creators who worked on Tales of The Spooky.

And you know he'll blame us trolls and haters. Oh my!

That's been my guess, he'll pull some kind of "I just wanted to support our brave American troops, but this angry group of trolls libeled and harassed me!" excuse if (when?) he cancels.. See, the problem is, he made the mistake of actually announcing a venue this time, so he won't be able to lie afterward and claim that he had some top-secret convention that was a huge success, because anyone of us can call the place ourselves, on the days, to see if anything is going on. So he'll either have to cancel outright and admit it, or try to have it anyway, with few, if any, guests, and barely any attendees, and then maybe take a few pictures of the empty spaces and then post them & claim that the pics are before all the hundreds of happy people showed up to attend.

Ithacon only sells tickets at the door. But then there's a lot of foot traffic passing by, internet and Facebook promotion, ads in newspapers, flyers, merchants handing out info, and IC or Cornell sending camera crews.

None of which Olney is doing.

Again, we at Ithacon usually send out solicitations only three months in advance. But there is an overabundance of great talent locally and regionally, plus connections with mainstream DC/Marvel that keep us quite happy.

Again, none of which Olney is doing. And look @ what his excuse was for the delay. He was planning to do this in June, but because he couldn't get a website online by April, he didn't think he had enough time to promote it online, so he pushed it back until Nov. And what's he'd done with all this extra time? Well, still no actual website, just a free blog that he set-up himself (& though he likes to claim that he has plenty or readers besides us, he has the real-time visrtor tracker right on his blog, so we can see exactly when anyone is checking it out) , and a Twitter profile. Oh yeah, and a Facebook page which he shut down and made private, as soon as anyone found out about it. And his blog has announcements for a half-dozen guesst who've publicly said that they won't be there, while he claims that he has other guests confirmed that he's purposely refusing to reveal. It's about 2 months to go before this thing is supposed to be held, and yet the website that promote local events in that area (like THIS (http://www.oldforgeny.com/events.html#November2011) and THIS (http://www.adirondacks.com/calendarevents.html)), don't have any record of such an event being scheduled for those dates. From what I've heard of the area, it's out of the way to begin with, plus it's extremely cold in November, so if he's counting on "walk-in attendance," that sounds like an very risky plan. Plus, let's not forget, he's announced a Cosplay contest, with prizes of $500, $300, and $100, which would require people to plan to attend in advance, if they wanted to compete, unless he really thinks random folks will just show up and see what's going on, and then quickly run out to buy or make a costume so they can come back and compete.

And where exactly is this supposed to be held, anyway? The blog still says it's at the George T. Hiltebrant Recreation Center (which didn't have it booked, last time we checked), yet the official Awards ceremony for the contest is supposed to be at a conference room in the Water's Edge Inn, one hour after the convention is over, which he does have booked for that time. So are those two places near each other, and everyone is supposed to go over to the other place to get their prizes? Or is the entire event now switched to the other place? The whole thing is a mess. He couldn't be failing any harder if he was purposely trying to fail.

I highly doubt he planned on actually giving anything away. He picked "Secret Six" to try to get at Gail.

In his mind he's probably thinking "The more free copies of Gail's books that I give away, the more people will read them and see what a horrible writer she is! And then she'll be ruined!"

Remember the customized "Comic-Book Rejects, So-Screwed" glasses that he was going to be selling @ the 2007 MMC?

Press charges.

But would he be able to report them as "stolen" if he willingly sent them to Olney? I dunno, but he should definitely pursue any and all legal options he has, as quickly as possible. Yeah, it sucks that he has to deal with this when trying to get ready to get married, but there's no time to waste.

CutterMike
09-12-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm too lazy to backtrack, but somebody mentioned a bit earlier that raick was now signing things as "Richaed Olney", suggesting that he might be hoping that all of the "Rick Olney" dirt won't show up if someone Googles him under the long form. It doubtless WILL, since that name has shown up here and elsewhere, but maybe we should make a point of using his full name every so often, just to make sure that these pages show up in any such search.

With that in mind:

Richard Olney, of Herkimer, NY is a liar and a thief.

Have fun, Richard Olney!

CutterMike
09-12-2011, 07:58 PM
I realize Rick isn't going to burn them. But if he had to return them, I wouldn't put it past him to damage them in some way.

Well, they WILL have that funky smell...

Gail Simone
09-12-2011, 08:17 PM
The Secret Six thing is utterly clueless. First, it's not appropriate for kids. Second, it's canceled. Third, it's one of the most critically acclaimed books of the past few years.

Him giving it away makes no difference to me whatsoever, it doesn't affect sales, I was paid for the books ages ago...I have no idea what he thinks would upset me about this. I could not care less.

It's one of his dumber moves.

AIPman1
09-13-2011, 02:54 AM

It would be awful if he like stamped the convention name on em, or signed them himself as if he had something to do with them beyond ripping off their creator.

KJ!
09-13-2011, 05:44 AM
It would be awful if he like stamped the convention name on em, or signed them himself as if he had something to do with them beyond ripping off their creator.

I would hope Olney would sign them.

After all, Bane was clearly made in honour of Rick Olney. It makes perfect sense:- just as Bane was the only one who could break the Batman, only Rick Olney could break the *insert crap that didn't happen here*. EDIT: I GOT ONE. Just as Bane was the only one who could break the Batman, only Rick Olney could break his OWN back by giving out dozens of........no, hundreds of..........no, thousands of.......no, HUNDREDS AND THOUSANDS OF HUNDREDS AND THOUSANDS OF comics to kids worldwide. He's like a Santa Claus that still drinks your milk and eats your cookie, but takes your stuff instead of giving you something. Also...he has no sack. Boom-tish.

He even has a letter somewhere that states that it may be true..no, that it IS true, he has it, right here, just here...can't scan it or photograph it or show it to anyone....BUT IT EXISTS!!!

JTPencils
09-13-2011, 08:54 AM
The Secret Six thing is utterly clueless. First, it's not appropriate for kids. Second, it's canceled. Third, it's one of the most critically acclaimed books of the past few years.

Him giving it away makes no difference to me whatsoever, it doesn't affect sales, I was paid for the books ages ago...I have no idea what he thinks would upset me about this. I could not care less.

It's one of his dumber moves.

He's going to completely derail your career, by flooding the market with your work, which will garnish you new readers (age appropriate, we hope)... so that you won't... er... might have to... er... geesh.. you're right... it is one of his dumber moves, and for him... that's astounding!

MacQuarrie
09-13-2011, 09:17 AM
They don't exist. In order to give them away, Olney would have to acquire them, and the one thing we know about him more than any other is that he hates to spend money on anything other than himself. He's not going to give away any comics unless he gets them from somebody else for free. Never has, never will.

Richard L. Olney II has no impulse control. He's sitting at his computer, "writing" on his blog, when he types something about his "secret six convention guests" and begins to giggle. He thinks he's clever. He's got his own "Secret Six." What can he do with this brilliant bit of wordplay? Aha! He'll announce that he's giving away copies of SECRET SIX to attendees at his convention. He's got two months to find a way to dismiss the giveaway as a joke, but meanwhile, it'll totally rankle those trolls at Tamryn's board. Check and mate! That'll show 'em!

The thing is, Olney really believes he's going to pull this thing off. All he has to do is find the shortcut that successful people always have; he just needs to put it out there, and keep looking for that one rich guy who will buy into his dream and foot the bill so it can all fall together. Like all losers, he believes that there are angles and shortcuts and tricks, something other than hard work, that magically makes some people successful, and if he can just figure out the racket, he'll be a Big Wheel.

He also believes that the secret has something to do with ingratiating yourself with people who have power and money and getting them to do your bidding. He's almost right; the secret is to like people and help them without asking for anything, and many of them will remember that and will do favors for you-- provided you don't tell them that this is what you expect and demand. Do right by people and they will do right by you. Try to use them or manipulate them, and you will be out in the cold.

But because Olney is an idiot and the most self-centered, self-absorbed, self-important a-hole on earth, he will never understand it.

J.R. LeMar
09-13-2011, 09:28 AM

It’s not just that’s he’s giving away S6 comics, but that he’s giving them away free to anyone who has a program proving they attended the Albany Comic-Con on Oct. 30th. How does that make sense? Much like his TOTS debacle where, based on the huge pay rates he was promising everyone who worked on it, the book would have had to sell better than the top-selling Marvel books just to break even, even if this Con was legit, how could he possible afford to run it?

First, he’s supposed to be paying for the round-trip air-fare and accommodations for all guests. He’s supposed to purchase all the Indiana Jones posters, some of which he’ll be giving away free to all the guests, and the rest which will be sold or auctioned to attendees with ALL the money going to charity. He’s supposed to be giving away up to $900 to winners of a cosplay contest. He plans to set-up live-streaming overseas. Then all active military personnel and veterans get in free, & I think are getting a free breakfast on the first day, and now anyone who paid $5 to go to a completely unrelated comicon a week earlier will also be getting in for free and receiving a free comic-book. So with all these free guests and attendees, with free merchandise, how the heck is this little first-time show up in the mountains possibly supposed to generate the money necessary to afford all this? He’d have to except SDCC-levels of “walk-ins”, to make his money back. You’d have to be independently wealthy, or just completely out of touch with reality, to attempt something like this.

And I think we all know that Rick Olney aka Richard L Olney II is not independently wealthy.

MacQuarrie
09-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Here's a fact: Every single bit of whatever success I have had in life, every important, powerful or impressive friend I have made, every opportunity I have ever been given, has been the direct result of my volunteering to help people. Every single bit. Many people have done very nice things for me and have given me well-paying projects to work on, simply because at some point I did something for them, and every time it was something I did simply because I could, or because I knew they couldn't, or because it was the right thing to do.

Once I realized that, I adopted this as my policy: "I live to serve." It has been a very good approach to life. If I ever demanded a quid pro quo from any of my friends, they never would have given me any of the the things I've received from them.

Matt Doc Martin
09-13-2011, 09:29 AM
They don't exist. In order to give them away, Olney would have to acquire them, and the one thing we know about him more than any other is that he hates to spend money on anything other than himself. He's not going to give away any comics unless he gets them from somebody else for free. Never has, never will.

Richard L. Olney II has no impulse control. He's sitting at his computer, "writing" on his blog, when he types something about his "secret six convention guests" and begins to giggle. He thinks he's clever. He's got his own "Secret Six." What can he do with this brilliant bit of wordplay? Aha! He'll announce that he's giving away copies of SECRET SIX to attendees at his convention. He's got two months to find a way to dismiss the giveaway as a joke, but meanwhile, it'll totally rankle those trolls at Tamryn's board. Check and mate! That'll show 'em!

The thing is, Olney really believes he's going to pull this thing off. All he has to do is find the shortcut that successful people always have; he just needs to put it out there, and keep looking for that one rich guy who will buy into his dream and foot the bill so it can all fall together. Like all losers, he believes that there are angles and shortcuts and tricks, something other than hard work, that magically makes some people successful, and if he can just figure out the racket, he'll be a Big Wheel.

He also believes that the secret has something to do with ingratiating yourself with people who have power and money and getting them to do your bidding. He's almost right; the secret is to like people and help them without asking for anything, and many of them will remember that and will do favors for you-- provided you don't tell them that this is what you expect and demand. Do right by people and they will do right by you. Try to use them or manipulate them, and you will be out in the cold.

But because Olney is an idiot and the most self-centered, self-absorbed, self-important a-hole on earth, he will never understand it.

Maybe if he does a toy convention, he can strike back at Tom Stillwell by selling Toyboy trades.

Glenn Barbis Jr.
09-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Here's the thing...just like his comic endeavour with Tightlip Entertainment, this convention was never meant to happen. Never. Richard L. Olney knows this. That is why he makes the big promises, because he knows it will never come to fruition. He gets people involved, and gets guests, and work done just to make it look like he's a Big Wheel. He likes to see his name online and with well-known people. He can promise the moon and the stars, knowing full well he can never pay or make good on any of them. He will just cancel the convention or the comic because of "the haters" or "health problems" or "family matters" or the many hundreds of other excuses he can come up with. He has no care about the people he inconveiences or the problems this might cause them. He doesn't care that any money promised may be needed by them. All he cares about is that it makes him look like a big shot now. Who cares about the the future when it won't be his fault. He can just dupe people for his next grand scheme, he thinks.

That is Richard L. Olney II 's thinking... And it will never change.

AIPman1
09-13-2011, 11:03 AM

I was referring to the maps....but understand your statement. He obviously does not have a huge stash of Secret Six comics to give away.

J.R. LeMar
09-13-2011, 01:02 PM
BTW I don’t know if I missed it, but has anyone contacted Josef Rubenstein and Rick Ketchum?

HamsterRage
09-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Wow and now Rick is back to hiding under a rock again as yet again he's been outer as a cheat and fraud.

Gail Simone
09-13-2011, 03:11 PM
I think someone did...I think Michael might have talked to Rick.

Rick isn't even posting anything anymore. I suspect there will be a cancellation of the event soon for nefarious reasons.

Matt Doc Martin
09-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Wow and now Rick is back to hiding under a rock again as yet again he's been outer as a cheat and fraud.

What else is new? I am sure it is because he took his compass to the woods and has no time for us schlubs.

Rick isn't even posting anything anymore. I suspect there will be a cancellation of the event soon for nefarious reasons.

He has been known to take breaks from time to time. Give it a week or two...he will be back. Like mildew.

But yeah, I see heart trouble causing cancellation.

Cam63
09-13-2011, 04:24 PM
That or a cranial haemorrhoid.

OMAR
09-13-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm afraid that by discussing it here, we've probably taken both cancer and heart trouble off the table. I think he'll want to surprise us.

MacQuarrie
09-13-2011, 04:35 PM
I was referring to the maps....but understand your statement. He obviously does not have a huge stash of Secret Six comics to give away.
Oops. You're right, you were. And that is a horrible thought. We'll have to keep an eye out for that, and get the word out that any posters so marked are stolen and did not go to support any veterans' organization. Certainly any such markings would serve as evidence of his misdeeds. Hopefully he won't be that stupid.

MacQuarrie
09-13-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm afraid that by discussing it here, we've probably taken both cancer and heart trouble off the table. I think he'll want to surprise us.
He's done heart trouble (wouldn't he need to have one?) and family tragedy too many times already. Cancer would have at least been a relatively new excuse. I'm not worried, he'll come up with something.

HamsterRage
09-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Yet another Post up warning about Olney: http://troublewithcomics.com/post/9587802623/the-real-adirondack-comic-book-show

J.R. LeMar
09-13-2011, 05:11 PM
He also did a follow-up last week: http://troublewithcomics.com/post/9675024064/my-experience-with-rick-olney

AIPman1
09-13-2011, 05:24 PM

he's not back from that walk in the woods with his new-found compass. Maybe he finally got the hint and got lost!

MacQuarrie
09-13-2011, 05:41 PM
He also did a follow-up last week: http://troublewithcomics.com/post/9675024064/my-experience-with-rick-olney
Wow. Olney is as nutty as squirrel poop.

Cam63
09-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Wow. Olney is as nutty as squirrel poop.

...but not nearly as attractive.

CutterMike
09-13-2011, 05:56 PM

Well, he could pay his debts and learn to act like a human being -- that'd certainly surprise ME!

Michael W. Kellar
09-13-2011, 06:25 PM

I have been in contact with Rick Ketcham and he stated that he will google Rick Olney.

Matt Doc Martin
09-13-2011, 06:25 PM
I have been in contact with Rick Ketcham and he stated that he will google Rick Olney.

And then he will pull out.

OMAR
09-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Self-censored.

Gail Simone
09-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks, Michael, I thought that was correct.

I have a couple quick thoughts. Even if Rick was faking every bit of it, I still think cancer and heart disease should be off the table for discussion. I just think it's wrong. We don't know, and I can't help feeling that it lowers the people talking about it more than the person being talked about.

Second, holy Jesus is there anyone Rick DIDN'T treat badly?

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-13-2011, 06:49 PM
As we await what will I am sure be a meltdown of legendary proportions from Rick, a funny thing I noticed. When he was going to have that combined Mighty Mini-Con/Spooky comicbook/horror convention in 2004, guess who three of his guests were?

Rick Ketcham, John Wycough and Ben Dunn

http://www.sequentialtart.com/community/Forum7/HTML/001228.shtml

Let's hope when he tries and ultimately fails to put on a con in another seven years, he doesn't go for the three-peat and invite them again.

HamsterRage
09-13-2011, 07:10 PM
watching that video today and seeing how much love, research and time Matt poured into that map makes me ill that Rick has stolen this from Matt.

Matt's heart was clearly in a good place and he wanted to benefit veterans and Olney took advantage of that. Disgusting behavior by Olney.

Tony Isabella
09-13-2011, 07:14 PM
And then he will pull out.

If only Olney's father had done that. :)

Tony

JTPencils
09-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Second, holy Jesus is there anyone Rick DIDN'T treat badly?

Actually, Gail, there is at least one person I happen to know who did NOT have a bad experience with RO. Recently I spoke with Rusty Gilligan, and he gave me the OK to state for the assembled here... that at the MMC that I attended, Rusty was the "premiere guest", and that RO paid for his time to appear (I won't go into amounts of money, that is NOT my place to say), his hotel room, meal, and gas to attend the event. I can tell you it wasn't all that much money, these were not exactly 5 star accommodations, dining was not stellar, and obviously Rusty supplied his own transportation, but gas was reimburse, and Rusty seems to have been satisfied with it. He told me that RO paid him, and that he didn't have any issues with Rick. He also had some issues with the efforts of Unscrewed, seeing it as nothing but a "witch hunt" against shady publishers... RO being the most focused target. I then informed Rusty of the actions of RO (to me, to others) and some of RO's more ludicrous claims, from charities that he had no permission to misuse their name and logo (past and present) to his hideous treatment of people who not only did work for him, but desperately needed the money that had been promised them, and naturally were snubbed, to some of the loonier claims by RO (two "leagle teams", police watching our every move and post here, veiled threats, Ric Ollie figures and being mentioned in IM2) to name just a few. After our discussion, Rusty said "Wow, I guess he really does deserve some of the gossip that's going around about him... but as I said... he didn't do anything to me, I wasn't ripped off, so I didn't have a problem with him... but it's doubtful that they want to hear that over at Unscrewed or on that enormous thread (YABS)..." I told him, quite the contrary, that we have always searched for just such an "unscathed" individual, who had actually gotten payment for whatever. When I explained that to him, Rusty gave his consent to tell you his brief tale.

So there is ONE.... but out of the many many that HAVE been scammed by RO, it hardly balances the scales.

Gail Simone
09-13-2011, 07:52 PM
No, hey, I'm always happy to hear the truth. But who is Rusty Gilligan?

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-13-2011, 08:13 PM
that at the MMC that I attended, Rusty was the "premiere guest", and that RO paid for his time to appear
I'm a bit confused by this part. What Mighty Mini-Con was this, 2003?

Tom Stillwell
09-13-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm always glad to hear that people were paid for services rendered. Otherwise I wouldn't be involved with Unscrewed's efforts to help freelancers.

To be frank, Rusty sounds like kind of a dick. The "well he didn't screw me" attitude is a disgusting one. Mixing it with ignorance and incorrect information doesn't help.

If helping freelancers get paid what they are rightful owed is a witch hunt then consider me the Wicked Witch of the West.

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-13-2011, 08:55 PM
To be frank, Rusty sounds like kind of a dick. The "well he didn't screw me" attitude is a disgusting one. Mixing it with ignorance and incorrect information doesn't help.
Forgive me if he posts here and I didn't notice but is Typo Lad around? A quick Google check shows he knows Rusty too.

Also to answer Gail's question as well as my own. It would seem Rusty Gilliigan was a guest at the June 4-5, 2005 Mighty Mini-Con from this listing I found.

Also expected to be here is Rusty Gilligan of MAIN Publishing. Rusty Gilligan began working in comics in 1978, as an artist for comic publishers and industry magazines such as 'Comics Buyers Guide'. In his first year, he was recommended by Stan Lee to do pinups of 'Capt. America' (based on Jack Kirby images) for Marvel's British tabloid line.

In his early career he worked on the original 'Heavy Metal' film as a sequence penciller, and worked with many comic professionals on comic projects.In 1980, Rusty opened MAIN Publishing with such award-winning comics such as 'Test Drive' and 'Sex Drive'. MAIN's highest accomplishment was 'M.A.I.N. Magazine', the industry's first trade publication... it featured original works from some stars as: Stan Lee, Steven King, Rob Liefeld, Jim Lee, Rich Buckler, Todd McFarland, introduced 'Xena' to the hobby, and published previously unseen works from Jack Kirby and Bill Ward. MAIN Publishing is currently releasing 3 new titles this year including 'Retro Theatre' under MAIN, and 'Lisa Panic' through Storrm Comics.

In recent years, Rusty has worked on the 'Spiderman 2' dvd, an 'X-Men' animated home video, and an upcoming 'Batman' short film. He's also done work for AC Comics, DC, Image's Big Bang Line, Marvel, and recently participated in a Stan Lee dedication book ('Lee's Way' from Ronin Studios) with art and an interview.

However I am pretty sure I've read this was cancelled. So I'm still a bit unsure what convention he attended.

JTPencils
09-13-2011, 09:35 PM
No, hey, I'm always happy to hear the truth. But who is Rusty Gilligan?

Gail, I'll just let his own blog speak for him. I wasn't familiar with his work until I met him myself...

http://sites.google.com/site/mercenaryartstudio/home/inkers/rusty-gilligan-gallery

I'm a bit confused by this part. What Mighty Mini-Con was this, 2003?

NotLarry... this was the next MMC, 2005 I believe, and as far as I'm aware, the last one RO's held since. I can tell you it was NOT a two day event... it was one day only. I don't think I would have stayed there with the tumbleweeds blowing through the vendor aisles if it HAD been a two day event. I spent the night at a horrific hotel that I paid for myself, and then drove home in the AM (I was tired, and didn't want to run the risk of getting into an accident on the way home).

I would think that's an unfair assertion Tom, as we've always stated here that we'd welcome if anyONE could come up and say they were NOT screwed by Richard Olney II. I was merely relating a tale of someone who wasn't (or at least feels they weren't). You're always welcome to your own opinion on his character of course, but I was just being the messenger here and telling it as it was told to me. We asked for a "single person to come forward" and he did. By the time we finished speaking though, I think his eyes were opened to the fact that Olney is NOT exactly someone to be trusted. (Rusty was also informed of the "great bumper sticker" caper that Olney was ranting about, and I informed him of the facts that we were able to cull from that event... between that, and a BUNCH of other things I was able to tell him, I really do think his opinion changed). As for "ignorance"... I guess everyone is ignorant until they're given the facts... n'est pa?

JTPencils
09-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Forgive me if he posts here and I didn't notice but is Typo Lad around? A quick Google check shows he knows Rusty too.

They do, and from what I understand, it's not a mutual attraction society thing there. In fact, quite a bit of friction... but I won't go into that tale, that's for those two individuals to work out or not.

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-13-2011, 10:01 PM
NotLarry... this was the next MMC, 2005 I believe, and as far as I'm aware, the last one RO's held since. I can tell you it was NOT a two day event... it was one day only. I don't think I would have stayed there with the tumbleweeds blowing through the vendor aisles if it HAD been a two day event. I spent the night at a horrific hotel that I paid for myself, and then drove home in the AM (I was tired, and didn't want to run the risk of getting into an accident on the way home).
Thanks for the details. After I asked the question I did more searching. While it didn't end up being a two day event, it was originally announced to be. Here's the note for it.

Mighty Mini-Con #5
Saturday, 6/4
Sunday, 6/5
Sat: 10:00am - 6:00pm
Sun: 10:00am -5:00pm
To be announced

To be announced, New YorkAdmission:
$10 dollars per day per adult
(ORCA members $6 dollars per day with ID)
$5 dollars per day (Age 13 to 15 years) per child
children 12 and under free with a paid adult admission. Free Goody bag to first 300 paid entrants! Treats for the kids!
At the ticket counter.

HamsterRage
09-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Here's the Comic Book DB for Rusty:
http://comicbookdb.com/creator.php?ID=30755

KJ!
09-14-2011, 03:44 AM
From what I briefly saw, it seemed his most recent credit is for Bluewater.

Now, absolutely NO disrespect intended to ANYONE, but that seems to be the calibre that Olney is attracted to: fringe names, people either new or 'unrecognised'.

Tom Stillwell
09-14-2011, 04:03 AM
I would think that's an unfair assertion Tom, as we've always stated here that we'd welcome if anyONE could come up and say they were NOT screwed by Richard Olney II.

My comments weren't aimed towards the fact that someone stepped forward to say they were fairly treated by Olney. As I stated, I'm always happy to hear when someone is treated fairly. Heck, if Rick made good on everything he owed to people I'd be deliriously happy.

No, my comments were aimed at his assertion that Unscrewed was a witch hunt. Based on what facts? In lieu of actually knowing the facts Rusty decided that an organization dedicated to helping freelance comic creators was a witch hunt. That's a special kind of ignorance.

KJ!
09-14-2011, 06:13 AM
It's like complaining about the police being on a 'witch-hunt' to apprehend that bank robber.

Leave the poor robber alone. He didn't rob me.

Gail Simone
09-14-2011, 06:16 AM
I've expressed this often before, if you look at endless stories of other freelancers being robbed and it doesn't bother you, I really don't care what your opinion is.

On the OTHER hand, people do change their minds. Look at Matt, Michael and Clayton, just recently.

Michael W. Kellar
09-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Looks like Clayton, Valerie and I have been removed from the Adirondack Comicfest blog! YEAH!

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Looks like Clayton, Valerie and I have been removed from the Adirondack Comicfest blog! YEAH!
He also removed the names of Dave Hoover, Nick Jones, Arvell Jones, Tyler Mane and Christoph "Batjeepster" Hollars.

Dave Ryan, another confirmed person who cancelled still has his name up.

He also still has all the information about Matt Busch's Indiana Jones World Maps up.

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Also while of not great interest, the Adirondack ComicFest Friends group is down to 17 names on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/213033462070991/

(http://www.facebook.com/groups/213033462070991/)It was 110 people when the link was first posted here but has been dropping bit by bit ever since. It was still over 80 names last night so Rick went on a massive culling. Odd who made the cut and who didn't. He even removed all his family members and friends.

Gail Simone
09-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Also while of not great interest, the Adirondack ComicFest Friends group is down to 17 names on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/213033462070991/

(http://www.facebook.com/groups/213033462070991/)It was 110 people when the link was first posted here but has been dropping bit by bit ever since. It was still over 80 names last night so Rick went on a massive culling. Odd who made the cut and who didn't. He even removed all his family members and friends.

Well done, Michael!

And NotLarry, i BELIEVE that Rick had two 'Friends of Adirondathon' groups up, one is closed, that's the one you looked at. The other is the one that had a hundred followers, several of which have left the group.

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Well done, Michael!

And NotLarry, i BELIEVE that Rick had two 'Friends of Adirondathon' groups up, one is closed, that's the one you looked at. The other is the one that had a hundred followers, several of which have left the group.

The original was called Friends of the Adirondack ComicFest. That is the first site linked here when we first heard of the convention. That group is the one Rick listed as dead and accused leftwingnutcase of abandoning to hurt him. It contains 18 members. The link for that group is here http://www.facebook.com/groups/211946182158890/

Rick then created a new group, the one I linked to earlier called Adirondack ComicFest Friends. It had 110 members when it was originally found and I have been tracking who left it ever since. It went from 87 friends last night to the 17 friends it has today. http://www.facebook.com/groups/213033462070991/

MacQuarrie
09-14-2011, 10:10 AM
My comments weren't aimed towards the fact that someone stepped forward to say they were fairly treated by Olney. As I stated, I'm always happy to hear when someone is treated fairly. Heck, if Rick made good on everything he owed to people I'd be deliriously happy.

No, my comments were aimed at his assertion that Unscrewed was a witch hunt. Based on what facts? In lieu of actually knowing the facts Rusty decided that an organization dedicated to helping freelance comic creators was a witch hunt. That's a special kind of ignorance.
I've had a number of conversations with Rusty, the content of which I'm not going to disclose. I think it's fair to say (and not revealing any privileged information) that Rusty's view of UNSCREWED is largely tainted by his animosity toward Typo Lad.

As far as I can see, that relationship is pretty much a mutual one, each of them harboring a low opinion of the other for reasons that concern only them.

The Bluewater credit is a sticking point; Bluewater is notorious for not paying their freelancers, but they are slippery enough to use smartly-written contracts and "Hollywood accounting" methods to get away with it. The book Rusty worked on has gone through multiple printings, variant covers, and a TPB collection, and yet still has not "officially" turned a profit as far as the artists are concerned. He still has not been paid for it, and neither have several other artists involved with Bluewater.

But I digress.

Rusty is, in my opinion, willfully blinding himself to Olney's worst actions, mostly because he doesn't like Unscrewed because he doesn't like Typo (who is not and never has been an officer of the organization).

Gail Simone
09-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Fair enough,he's made his choice. I don't see the point of belaboring it any further barring new information.

Tony Isabella
09-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Now that Olney has removed most of the guests who wisely canceled on him, has he added any new guests? That has to be a pretty small guest list at this point.

Tom Stillwell
09-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Typolad isn't affiliated with Unscrewed at all. Again, this guy rolls in ignorance like a pig in mud.

J.R. LeMar
09-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Now that Olney has removed most of the guests who wisely canceled on him, has he added any new guests? That has to be a pretty small guest list at this point.

7 guests: Rick Ketcham, Josef Rubinstein, John "Waki" Wycough, Mort Todd, Dave Ryan, Ben Dunn, & Matt Reynolds. Plus a woman named Donna Parker, mother of a deceased soldier, is scheduled to speak.

Ben Dunn is the only person that I had heard of before this all started. No disrespect to any of then, but this is not the kind of guest-list that would encourage a large group of people to go out of their way to attend this con, so he must be counting on one heck of a large "walk-in" paying crowd to be able to make back the money it's going to cost to put all this on.

It also looks like he's removed the post about attendees of the Albany Comicon getting in free and receiving free Secret 6 comics, as well as the post about the Cosplay contest. Although, as been mentioned, the post offering the Indiana Jones maps is still up. Announced as only available @ the actual convention, and any leftovers will be sold afterward, yet when someone comments about buying one, he tells her he can arrange that. Matt definitely needs to get some legal help on that ASAP, if he hasn’t already.

Matt Doc Martin
09-14-2011, 12:08 PM
7 guests: Rick Ketcham, Josef Rubinstein, John "Waki" Wycough, Mort Todd, Dave Ryan, Ben Dunn, & Matt Reynolds. Plus a woman named Donna Parker, mother of a deceased soldier, is scheduled to speak.

Ben Dunn is the only person that I had heard of before this all started. No disrespect to any of then, but this is not the kind of guest-list that would encourage a large group of people to go out of their way to attend this con, so he must be counting on one heck of a large "walk-in" paying crowd to be able to make back the money it's going to cost to put all this on.

It also looks like he's removed the post about attendees of the Albany Comicon getting in free and receiving free Secret 6 comics, as well as the post about the Cosplay contest. Although, as been mentioned, the post offering the Indiana Jones maps is still up. Announced as only available @ the actual convention, and any leftovers will be sold afterward, yet when someone comments about buying one, he tells her he can arrange that. Matt definitely needs to get some legal help on that ASAP, if he hasn’t already.

That person will not be buying from Rick and says he is a scumball.

Michael W. Kellar
09-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Well done, Michael!

Thank you Gail!

BTW - I finally picked up my copy of Batgirl yesterday (sorry for the delay, finances are kinda tight at the moment), let me say...WOW!!!
I am looking forward to reading more, the story and artwork fit together very well! KUDOS to you, Adrian Syaf, Vincente Cifuentes and Vlises Arreola!

Tony Isabella
09-14-2011, 01:42 PM
I contacted both Joe Rubinstein and Mort Todd, so they are both aware of Olney's history. At the very least, I hope they're smart enough not to spend any of their own money on the hope of reimbursement.

The Hero Maker
09-14-2011, 03:53 PM

Yes I noticed that as well Michael.

The Hero Maker
09-14-2011, 04:03 PM
I would just like to say one thing to many of you here.Thank You for your help! And your diligence in seeing that creators do not get taken advantage of.

Sincerely
Clayton Murwin

Michael W. Kellar
09-14-2011, 04:08 PM
I would just like to say one thing to many of you here.Thank You for your help! And your diligence in seeing that creators do not get taken advantage of.

Sincerely
Clayton Murwin

I second that motion!

CutterMike
09-14-2011, 05:49 PM

Sincerely
Clayton MurwinNo thanks necessary, Citizen!

(Swirls cape, turns, and leaps away, clearing tall building in a single bound. Suddenly realizes that, unfortunately, there is more than one building on this block. Fails to clear others. Learns that gargoyles have pointy bits. Ouch.)

leftwingnutcase
09-14-2011, 06:52 PM
No thanks necessary, Citizen!

(Swirls cape, turns, and leaps away, clearing tall building in a single bound. Suddenly realizes that, unfortunately, there is more than one building on this block. Fails to clear others. Learns that gargoyles have pointy bits. Ouch.)

MWAHAHAHA!!! It is I, CutterMike! Your evil archnemesis, ZINESTUD!!! I'm going to throw a big con with Stan Lee and unicorns and Cheesypoofs, and I dare you to stop me! BWAHAHA!!!

CutterMike
09-14-2011, 07:10 PM
MWAHAHAHA!!! It is I, CutterMike! Your evil archnemesis, ZINESTUD!!! I'm going to throw a big con with Stan Lee and unicorns and Cheesypoofs, and I dare you to stop me! BWAHAHA!!!

(Holds up cash-register receipt.)

That'll be $1.95 for Xeroxing your flyers.

Matt Doc Martin
09-15-2011, 04:50 AM

ZINESTUD: Noooooooo! My kryptonite!!!!!

Gail Simone
09-15-2011, 04:55 AM
Regardless of why he did it, I'm glad he removed the names of the people who told him they would not attend his convention. There's no reason for them to get their names sullied or for them to be used dishonestly to promote this disaster.

leftwingnutcase
09-15-2011, 08:55 AM

I, ZINESTUD, will not pay you a dime beyond a 5 cent pity payment!! MWAHAHAHA!!!

Tony Isabella
09-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Rick Ketcham is canceling his appearance at Olney's convention.

RickKetcham
09-15-2011, 12:42 PM
hey everybody

Rick Ketcham here. i WAS going to be a guest at the show in November, but after reading this entire thread. yep i read it all. Holy Crap is it long, but after reading it and a couple of other articles and blogs, i just honestly couldn't be a part of the show. i've got way too much going on in my life right now to get mixed up with this mess.

anyway, i was contacted by tony isabella through a facebook message, and honestly it usually takes me a week or so to reply....unless it's my mom :) also during that week michael kellar had texted me with a brief warning to do some google searches. i also got a voicemail from clayton the other day wanting me to call him back when i could. he didn't say it was about the con, but i'm guessing it was. i have a couple of days off right now in between issues so i started googling olney. wow, there's a lot of stuff about him. i believe in giving someone a second chance, but honestly i think it's best that i just steer clear of the guy. you know?

i also contacted gail, tony, michael and clayton through facebook to thank them personally for the warning. here's what i wrote:

hey gail, tony, michael, and clayton

thank you so much for giving me a heads up on rick olney. i took all of today to do the research and read that crazy long thread on gail's message board. that thing is huge but it seems like it's full of a bunch of sincere and caring people, and once i started, i read the entire thread beginning to end

after reading it, all i can say is WOW, thank God for that thread.

a couple of months i had a friend suggestion on facebook, and it was for rick olney. i'm not sure who had suggested him. it may have been michael, beccause i do remeber him saying something to me about a "pop culture" convention or something. anyway as soon as rick and i became friends on fb he asked me to attend the show saying they would pay for travel expenses, lodging, meals and an appearance fee. this all seemed normal to me. i attend a lot of smaller shows, because they tend to treat their guests a lot nicer, unless you're on a top 50 book. anyway, i signed the contract he sent, but due to my crazy schedule i failed to get a bio to him and a pic. i didn't even know that he had announced me until i got the email from tony and text from michael. i guess he just found an older bio and kind of rewrote it. oh well. no biggie, like i said, it was my fault for not creating my own in a timely fashion.

so anyway, after taking the time to do the proper research, i am not gonna be attending that show. i actually have 3 conventions the previous 3 weekend, so with all of those and trying to ink one book at marvel and starting another one right around that time at dc, all while trying to maintain a healthy 3 day a week dialysis schedule, i just don't think i need the headache. you know :)

also i saw in the thread that someone said that i had attended one of rick's horror shows or something a few years back. i never did. that convention arrangement may have been made by a studiomate who was in charge of conventions at the time, but i honestly don't remember going or even preparing for it. i just met the guy a couple of months ago.

also i think i'm gonna join gail's board in just a few minutes to let everyone know that i'm not going too

again everyone, thanks again for the heads up. i appreciate it immensely.

have a great day
rick ketcham

so anyway, thanks everyone for this thread. i wish more people would do this about other publishers that don't pay, such as the dabel brothers, bluewater and whatever company rob liefield has at the moment. all of these companies owe me quite a bit.

take care
rick ketcham

Michael W. Kellar
09-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Rick,

It is good to see you on here, this is a GREAT thread, lots of people who want to look out for freelance artist and not let them get screwed by anyone.
Okay, back to school work, lots of reading to do, quizzes to take and drawing from a sample script and drawing ribcage and pelvis bones to be done before midnight on Monday the 19th.

Take care my friend ;)

MacQuarrie
09-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Unscrewed needs to take a good look at Bluewater. I would really like a look at their contract.

Tom Stillwell
09-15-2011, 01:11 PM
I've seen the contract. It's not a good one but it is legally sound. You'd just be a complete idiot to sign it.

The real problem with Bluewater lies in the sales numbers which are difficult to prove.

Jim Ritchey
09-15-2011, 01:30 PM
I've seen the contract. It's not a good one but it is legally sound. You'd just be a complete idiot to sign it.

The real problem with Bluewater lies in the sales numbers which are difficult to prove.

That's a shame. I've got a property that I'm reworking in the next few months that's been accepted by 4 publishers over the years, but they either went bankrupt, or were Olneyesque poseurs. Tried Platinum, but their contract was just as horrible (I'll NEVER give up controlling interest to a publisher under any circumstances), so I didn't sign. Maybe we should start a thread about who's good and bad for Creator Owned..

Gail Simone
09-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Rick,

You are very welcome here. I think you are taking an adult attitude, and doing the responsible thing. Sometimes we have gotten a little angry or judgmental, but it's because we have seen Rick take advantage of people for SO long and in such grotesque ways, well, you get a little edgy sometimes thinking of it.

Clearly, he tried to bamboozle the wrong people this time. You, Clayton, Michael, and Matt are always welcome here, as far as I am concerned and. thank you.

Michael W. Kellar
09-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Maybe we should start a thread about who's good and bad for Creator Owned..

That sounds like a good thread to have to help seasoned & aspiring freelance artist :D

Matt Doc Martin
09-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Rick,

You are very welcome here. I think you are taking an adult attitude, and doing the responsible thing. Sometimes we have gotten a little angry or judgmental, but it's because we have seen Rick take advantage of people for SO long and in such grotesque ways, well, you get a little edgy sometimes thinking of it.

Clearly, he tried to bamboozle the wrong people this time. You, Clayton, Michael, and Matt are always welcome here, as far as I am concerned and. thank you.

Aww thanks!!

Wait....stupid common names...

Cam63
09-15-2011, 02:22 PM
*Defuses boobytrap on the beer fridge*

Cheers, gentlemen.

HamsterRage
09-15-2011, 03:50 PM
In a perfect world Rick Olney would be finally humbled and defeated by this. He would start making sincere apologies, return the maps, and start working everyday to pay off every person he owed money to one by one.

How awesome would it be if Rick just shut the fuck up and started working hard to do right by all the people he wronged and took responsibility?

leftwingnutcase
09-15-2011, 04:14 PM
In a perfect world Rick Olney would be finally humbled and defeated by this. He would start making sincere apologies, return the maps, and start working everyday to pay off every person he owed money to one by one.

How awesome would it be if Rick just shut the fuck up and started working hard to do right by all the people he wronged and took responsibility?

Yeah. Just as much chance of that as the Republicans winning the Presidency in 2012.

Stressfactor
09-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Yeah. Just as much chance of that as the Republicans winning the Presidency in 2012. Ummmm... there's a lot of time between now and 2012. Don't say stuff like that -- you'll jinx it.

Say instead something like....

About as much chance as a black hole spontaneously opening over New York and sucking the city in.

Or

About as much chance as the ghost of Jack Kirby starting to write and draw comics.

Honestly, I really feel bad for Mr. Busch with his maps. Once someone gets their hands on something it can be hard to get it away from them. Often police have more pressing crimes than chasing down a deadbeat.

CutterMike
09-15-2011, 05:14 PM

Dude! What ARE you smoking, and do you have any more...?

...'Cause it sounds like you are onto some SERIOUSLY good shit!!

JTPencils
09-15-2011, 05:36 PM
*Defuses boobytrap on the beer fridge*

Cheers, gentlemen.

*THUD*

Uh... folks... this NEVER happens!!! Take advantage whilst ya can!

J.R. LeMar
09-15-2011, 05:41 PM

That would be extremely awesome. I think he would be surprised @ the number of people who, even now, would be willing to help him out if he were really remorseful, and genuinely tried to start working to pay off all of his debts.

HamsterRage
09-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Dude! What ARE you smoking, and do you have any more...?

...'Cause it sounds like you are onto some SERIOUSLY good shit!!

No I know... It's sooooo far out beyond what could happen because Olney's ego will never allow him to accept responsibility.

But it would be awesome if he finally decided to do the right thing.

HamsterRage
09-15-2011, 05:45 PM
That would be extremely awesome. I think he would be surprised @ the number of people who, even now, would be willing to help him out if he were really remorseful, and genuinely tried to start working to pay off all of his debts.

I agree.

What really sucks is that everytime he would ask to be foregiven he almost instantly flips around and drives the knife in a little deeper. Even with people like Cesar.

MacQuarrie
09-16-2011, 08:54 AM

Sociopaths don't feel remorse. Other people aren't real to them; other people are there to be used and discarded, pawns in the game of Gimme.

Matt Doc Martin
09-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Sociopaths don't feel remorse. Other people aren't real to them; other people are there to be used and discarded, pawns in the game of Gimme.

You make being a sociopath seem like no fun.

leftwingnutcase
09-16-2011, 06:57 PM
You make being a sociopath seem like no fun.

But you get to play the game of Gimme! That's got to be fun!

Outsider
09-16-2011, 09:59 PM
But you get to play the game of Gimme! That's got to be fun!

I think Matt prefers to play the game of Gotcha!

Gail Simone
09-17-2011, 02:42 AM
I am pretty sure Rick will be giving up soon. Most of the guests have dropped out, he has made the map thing into a repulsive mess, and he's cheated or abused all the news sites that could help promote this thing.

There will be an announcement soon. He will blame us and ill health or a family emergency. But even HE can't play pretend Stan Lee forever in the face of total disaster.

Matt Doc Martin
09-17-2011, 02:45 AM
I am pretty sure Rick will be giving up soon. Most of the guests have dropped out, he has made the map thing into a repulsive mess, and he's cheated or abused all the news sites that could help promote this thing.

There will be an announcement soon. He will blame us and ill health or a family emergency. But even HE can't play pretend Stan Lee forever in the face of total disaster.

His extended "absence" from the web suggests you are right. 11 days? Might as well be a year for Olney.

HamsterRage
09-17-2011, 02:55 AM
Speaking of Stan Lee... When you meet with him today how tempting is it going to be to say "the biggest scumbag in comics tries to pretend you and he are best friends based on a 15 year old picture"

Tony Isabella
09-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Just a reminder that I'll be at the Detroit FanFare on September 24 & 25:

http://www.detroitfanfare.com/

Tony

HamsterRage
09-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Just a reminder that I'll be at the Detroit FanFare on September 24 & 25:

http://www.detroitfanfare.com/

Tony

Wish I could make it thereand meet you sir!

I was hoping to get a table to sell copies of Hamster Rage #1 there, but I've got a wedding that weekend.

THEDOC
09-17-2011, 09:51 AM

Of course he'll blame us we are such trolls and haters, even though he lied to people and doesn't even have a venue set up. We probably will be blamed for his renewed cancer issue as well. Nuff said.

THEDOC
09-17-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm in Kalamazoo visiting my son and his family. It would be nice to go next weekend but not in the cards. Have fun.

leftwingnutcase
09-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Of course he'll blame us we are such trolls and haters, even though he lied to people and doesn't even have a venue set up. We probably will be blamed for his renewed cancer issue as well. Nuff said.

Actually, the Town of Webb, which runs the rec center, says it is booked for a comicon. We also learned that Olney has another entity, Olney Enterprises, under which he has booked the hotel. Will someone please find out if "Olney Enterprises" is legit?

Tony Isabella
09-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Unless the town is as trusting as the college was, someone is going to have to pony up some sort of deposit and other fees BEFORE the convention starts...and I suspect various insurance things have to be in place as well.

I still don't think the convention will ever happen. I'm not even curious as to whether Olney will make one of his usual teary announcements or if he'll just let it go without an announcement.

leftwingnutcase
09-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Unless the town is as trusting as the college was, someone is going to have to pony up some sort of deposit and other fees BEFORE the convention starts...and I suspect various insurance things have to be in place as well.

I still don't think the convention will ever happen. I'm not even curious as to whether Olney will make one of his usual teary announcements or if he'll just let it go without an announcement.

Will someone PLEASE look into Olney Enterprises?

J.R. LeMar
09-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Will someone PLEASE look into Olney Enterprises?

Why?

leftwingnutcase
09-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Why?

It should be obvious. He has a hotel booked under that entity. Which means that he is using it to book venues -- successfully. If it is not a valid corporation, that is illegal. Even if he cancels this con, he could use Olney Enterprises in the future. Is it legit?

J.R. LeMar
09-17-2011, 01:27 PM
It should be obvious. He has a hotel booked under that entity. Which means that he is using it to book venues -- successfully. If it is not a valid corporation, that is illegal. Even if he cancels this con, he could use Olney Enterprises in the future. Is it legit?

All we know is that Waters Edge Inn said their special conference room was reserved by "Olney Enterprises" for Nov. 13th (although the Cosplay contest which was supposed to be awarded in that room was removed from his blog, last time I checked, so now I don't know what it's for). That could just be the name he told them to use when he reserved the room. Doesn't necessarily mean there's a contract with that name on it. In any case, let the hotels worry about that. The only way I see it relevant here is if he's sent contracts to any guests using that name, such as the other contracts we know that used Adirondathon LLC which, since it didn't exist, made the contracts invalid and allowed the guests to back out of it.

leftwingnutcase
09-17-2011, 01:33 PM
All we know is that Waters Edge Inn said their special conference room was reserved by "Olney Enterprises" for Nov. 13th (although the Cosplay contest which was supposed to be awarded in that room was removed from his blog, last time I checked, so now I don't know what it's for). That could just be the name he told them to use when he reserved the room. Doesn't necessarily mean there's a contract with that name on it. In any case, let the hotels worry about that. The only way I see it relevant here is if he's sent contracts to any guests using that name, such as the other contracts we know that used Adirondathon LLC which, since it didn't exist, made the contracts invalid and allowed the guests to back out of it.

You have good points. However, I'm talking about the bigger picture. We now have the name of another entity that he may use in future scams. Something to remember, at least.

J.R. LeMar
09-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Yes, that should be kept in mind, like the "Richard Olney" thing, in case he's trying to hide his past with new people. But, as I understand, there are specific requirements with establishing a Limited Liability Corp., which is why I think Tom was able to check it out and prove that it didn't exist. I'm not sure it would be that easy to track down a regular business entity, which is why I don't think anyone should bother taking the time with trying to see if he's officially created "Olney Enterprises" or if it's just a random named he pulled out of his arse to sound professional. I mean, a Google search shows several "Olney Enterprises" in existence, including an "R. Olney Enterprises" in CA, none of which appear to be connected to Rick Olney. So who the heck knows? And I am betting on a cancellation @ this point anyway.

Tony Isabella
09-17-2011, 01:47 PM
It could be a DBA. Which stands for Doing Business As. I had something like that in Ohio when I was contemplating opening a comics store in Medina. It worked out to something like "Tony Isabella DBA Medina County Comics." The business entity was, well, me...but I planned on using the MCC name for the store. That was over two decades ago, though.

Gail Simone
09-18-2011, 05:01 AM
It's official, Stan Lee has NO IDEA who Rick Olney is or what Orca is. Not even a GLIMMER. He was very nice about it, but he had not a clue who Rick was, emphatically.

How odd that Rick has been saying for years that he's friends with Stan and could call him any time, huh?

Gail Simone
09-18-2011, 05:16 AM
Also, this Montreal con, I'm told it started very small and has grown huge each year as good word of mouth about the event and the organizers spread like wildfire.

It was so busy that they had to stop selling tickets at 1:00 pm and there were people lined up all day, for HOURS waiting for people to leave so they would be allowed in. Attendance far outweighed capacity even in a huge venue and it gets bigger every year.

On top of that, it's weird, I know, but the organizers don't have to dodge pros for months and years about paying back reimbursements, they don't have to go online every other day trying to bully people into saying they had a good time, they don't stand around telling people for hours how great they are. I know, it's weird, right?

Turns out what they do? The secret to their success?

They keep their promises and put on a great show.

Wow, that's all it takes? Whodathunk?

NatGertler
09-18-2011, 07:11 AM
"Well with 54 days left until the date of the Adirondack ComicFest there are permanent changes.

Via mutual agreement between the persons/parties that attempted to back and support me in my efforts to bring the Adirondack ComicFest to Old Forge, New York on November 11th -13th, 2011 -- there shall be no Adirondack ComicFest this year. This also includes the separate Veterans Day Memorial event and the breakfast that morning of November 11th. "

What a shock. Who head "event will get cancelled" in the pool

Oh, right, everyone....

NatGertler
09-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Oh, I love this part: "Adirondathon also feels that it did nothing to warrant such negative attention."

Sad to hear that the non-existent event and/or the non-existent LLC (or LCC) has had its feelings hurt.

NatGertler
09-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Oh, and the Comicfest blog has been deleted from blogger... rather than being used to, of course, announce to the people they were promoting to that the con is now gone.

Glenn Barbis Jr.
09-18-2011, 07:49 AM
"Notice:

Well with 54 days left until the date of the Adirondack ComicFest there are permanent changes.

Via mutual agreement between the persons/parties that attempted to back and support me in my efforts to bring the Adirondack ComicFest to Old Forge, New York on November 11th -13th, 2011 -- there shall be no Adirondack ComicFest this year. This also includes the separate Veterans Day Memorial event and the breakfast that morning of November 11th.

I'm not going to blame anyone or any group effort personally for the decisions made this past Friday evening. Likewise, nobody is going to blame those guests that were insincere and lacking professional courtesy.

During my efforts to put this event together, I believe that I was sincere to one and all involved. Adirondathon also feels that it did nothing to warrant such negative attention. That stated, I will close this by adding that the opinion now exists that the hobby and business of comics is a very shoddy and sad place. No modicum of true sincerity and honesty exists in the comic book entertainment industry. At any rate, the Facebook private group shall be removed shortly. I want to publicly thank each of the remaining guests for their willingness to appear in November. Your interactions and your participation was appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Rick Olney
September 18, 2011"

"
Re: Matt Busch Indiana Jones Map Matter
I'll have a statement on this matter within the next 24 hours. Thank you.

Rick Olney"

First...BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second...His statements about the comic industry are hysterical, because they all represent his place in it, not the industry as a whole. Plus, he won't blame anyone, but makes a point to trash the people who were mislead and cancelled accordingly, then blames the entire comic industry.

And lastly, I cannot wait to hear what he says about the Matt Busch situation!

But again, he cannot accept the fact he has trashed his reputation, all on his own, by lying, cheating, and decieving everyone he ever involves himself with. It's never his fault, and he will never learn.

The circle goes round again, same as it ever was.

Tony Isabella
09-18-2011, 08:21 AM
On the bright side...

Without this convention weighing so heavily on his mind, Rick Olney and/or Richard Olney can dedicate himself to the long task of paying all the people to whom he owes money and apologizing for all the people he has unjustly defamed, including in his latest statement.

That would go a long way towards making it possible for him to hold another convention in the future.

Of course, until he makes the aforementioned amends, we'll still be here to do our best to make sure he doesn't get the chance to add new victims to his already lengthy list.

Matt Doc Martin
09-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Shocked there are no legal threats attached...though maybe he is saving those for Matt Busch.

JTPencils
09-18-2011, 08:50 AM
It's official, Stan Lee has NO IDEA who Rick Olney is or what Orca is. Not even a GLIMMER. He was very nice about it, but he had not a clue who Rick was, emphatically.

How odd that Rick has been saying for years that he's friends with Stan and could call him any time, huh?

Aw now Gail, there ya go, making RO go off and pout in the corner again.... murmuring "nu-uh... she's lying".

How can you be so cruel?

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-18-2011, 08:53 AM
*edit* Whoops, Nat posted this as well earlier. Sorry, didn't see it as I was scrolling through.

Rick has removed the Adirondack ComicFest blog as well.

Blog has been removed

Sorry, the blog at adirondackcomicfest.blogspot.com has been removed. This address is not available for new blogs.

I can't help but think he's trying to erase as much information about it as possible. Obviously since everything has been copied here and screencapped his deletions don't matter.

JTPencils
09-18-2011, 08:56 AM
What a shock. Who head "event will get cancelled" in the pool

Oh, right, everyone....

Here's the real question... who had 54 days for their guess? Anyone... anyone? Check your ticket stubs...

Via mutual agreement between the persons/parties that attempted to back and support me in my efforts to bring the Adirondack ComicFest to Old Forge, New York on November 11th -13th, 2011 --

Really should read... "No one I know is daft enough to loan me as much as a dime, because they all know I'm a scam artist who doesn't pay back his debts... ergo... this moronic notion that I had for a con in the middle of nowhere is now kaput!"

Tony Isabella
09-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Matt...

Is there anything we can do to help you get back your maps?

Tony

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Matt...

Is there anything we can do to help you get back your maps?

Tony
Rick has very interesting timing when he chose to announce this cancellation.

Matt Busch was married this weekend and he's on a cruise to the Caribbean for his honeymoon. No way he will know any of this or be able to reply for at least a week I would assume.

leftwingnutcase
09-18-2011, 09:09 AM
"

Rick Olney"

Matt, if you're reading this, let me explain something. Richard Olney will do nothing of the sort. There are people who were promised "statements" and "receipts" and "payments past due" by Rick Olney almost ten years ago. They have yet to see a single penny.

J.R. LeMar
09-18-2011, 09:15 AM
BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^
What he said.

JTPencils
09-18-2011, 09:31 AM

Rick Olney"

Hmmmmm... must be consulting with his dual staff's of legal legerdemain... so as to properly address the situation.

SarahBeach
09-18-2011, 09:37 AM
I don't know about Rick doing nothing regarding Matt's maps. I think there are aspects about the timing that bother me. Surely he is aware that Matt is off being married and on his honeymoon. If in the next 24 hours he posts a statement to the effect "Matt, I'm posting and emailing you this notice, that unless you contact me at my email address in the next 48 hours, I will consider the maps I have in hand to be my property. Your silence will constitute agreement."

It would be stupid, of course, because you can't make a contract that way. But I could certainly see Rick doing it.

On the upside, since apparently the maps have NOT been paid for, I'm sure the LucasFilm lawyers will pounce on him for theft with intent to sell materials he is not licensed to sell.

As for the cancellation of the convention -- I'm betting that the deposit for the facilities was due 2 days ago (56 days before the event), and he couldn't talk them into delaying that requirement while he scrambled trying to find someone who had the cash-in-hand to pay the deposit. Between that and the cancellation of all his notable guests ... he had nothing.

I'm still concerned about the status of the maps, so we should not slack off until that is resolved -- in Matt's favor. Once they are out of Olney's hands, I'd like to see us help Matt find an appropriate channel to release them. Work like that deserves to get a good boost, especially since he wants to use them for a worthy cause.

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-18-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm still concerned about the status of the maps, so we should not slack off until that is resolved -- in Matt's favor. Once they are out of Olney's hands, I'd like to see us help Matt find an appropriate channel to release them. Work like that deserves to get a good boost, especially since he wants to use them for a worthy cause.
I'm concerned as well for Matt and hope he gets the maps back. However I think he will have no problem selling the remainders without help He sold out his supply at his website in like a week. Every article I have read about the map has comments from people upset they missed out. When he can sell them in his store again I doubt they'd last more than a couple days before selling out.

Matt must also have some idea already as he posted this on his website last week.
*NOTE* The limited number of maps available Online has sold out. However, the remainder of prints will be available soon. Stay tuned for details. If you have questions, or want to be sure to lock in one for yourself, email matt@mattbusch.com.
http://mattbuschstore.com/products-page/art-prints/indiana-jones-world-map/

MacQuarrie
09-18-2011, 09:55 AM
I almost wish he had waited another 25 days before canceling; then he would have had to pay all the guests their appearance fees.

Agreed, Sarah, we need to stay on Rick's back until those posters are safely back in Matt's hands.

THEDOC
09-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Hadn't Matt already contact LucasFilms about the map situation. I'm sure They will have something for RO to look over soon now that RO doesn't have to worry about MMC.... I mean Adirondack Comicfest.

JTPencils
09-18-2011, 10:06 AM
On the upside, since apparently the maps have NOT been paid for, I'm sure the LucasFilm lawyers will pounce on him for theft with intent to sell materials he is not licensed to sell.

I hope there IS some sort of resolution for Matt (in his favor of course)... but my question is (and I may be an idiot for not knowing this)...

Do the Lucasfilm lawyers have any recourse? I mean... it was the artist himself (Matt) that sent these to RO... Lucasfilm merely gave the OK for Matt to produce these... once that's done, do they still have any say in how it's sold/distributed? If not, then I'm afraid they'd have no dog in this fight with RO. Or am I just being incredibly dense?

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-18-2011, 11:08 AM
I was doing some looking around the internet for talk about the convention being cancelled. I found this. It's the Smart Alex Says site that Rick linked to a few times when talking about us as bullies.

Adirondack ComicFest, which was scheduled to take place Veterans' Day Weekend in Old Forge, New York, has been cancelled. Meanwhile, alternate Veterans' Day activities are in the process of being scheduled for some of the guests who had been originally slated to attend. More on that later...
http://smartalexsays.blogspot.com/2011/09/smart-alex-on-road-more-to-con-sider.html

(http://smartalexsays.blogspot.com/2011/09/smart-alex-on-road-more-to-con-sider.html)

Kevin T Brown
09-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Rick has very interesting timing when he chose to announce this cancellation.

Matt Busch was married this weekend and he's on a cruise to the Caribbean for his honeymoon. No way he will know any of this or be able to reply for at least a week I would assume.

Most ships now have wi-fi and all ships have computers to access. Also, all ships have the ability to use cellphones. So it's possible for him to find out while on his honeymoon.

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Of course it's possible, he could be anywhere in the world and have the ability to know. Since he already said he wouldn't be checking in often because he was so busy before he got married and he's on his honeymoon now... well I'd hope he isn't checking in on a comic book message board. When I got married I sure forgot about the internet for a few weeks. I'd figure Matt and his wife are too busy enjoying themselves to check here.

MacQuarrie
09-18-2011, 11:53 AM
I hope there IS some sort of resolution for Matt (in his favor of course)... but my question is (and I may be an idiot for not knowing this)...

Do the Lucasfilm lawyers have any recourse? I mean... it was the artist himself (Matt) that sent these to RO... Lucasfilm merely gave the OK for Matt to produce these... once that's done, do they still have any say in how it's sold/distributed? If not, then I'm afraid they'd have no dog in this fight with RO. Or am I just being incredibly dense?
The maps cannot be sold without permission from Lucasfilm. It would be considered trademark infringement. Matt has that permission, Olney does not. They can block him from doing anything at all with the maps, while Matt can pursue criminal theft and fraud charges. At the very least, he needs a judge to issue an injunction barring Olney from selling, giving away, distributing or destroying them, and ordering him to return them.

Charles RB
09-18-2011, 12:14 PM
"there shall be no Adirondack ComicFest this year."

Phrasing that makes it sound like it's been a regular thing.

leftwingnutcase
09-18-2011, 12:30 PM

Or that it's going to be.

HamsterRage
09-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Rick's response about the comic book industry is fucking hilarious.

"Why won't they work for free?!?!"

What did he do professionally what was Rick Olney's job or career?

MacQuarrie
09-18-2011, 12:53 PM

"Why won't they work for free?!?!"

What did he do professionally what was Rick Olney's job or career?I believe he was some sort of paper-shuffling functionary in an insurance office or something.

JTPencils
09-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Most ships now have wi-fi and all ships have computers to access. Also, all ships have the ability to use cellphones. So it's possible for him to find out while on his honeymoon.

That's true Kevin, but think about it... would YOU really want to be bothering with something like this while on your honeymoon? Think about it! I know I'd probably be like "I'll deal with it when I get back"... and viola... find that I was given some preposterous deadline that's been missed by some windbag.

HamsterRage
09-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Really? Did he get fired? Why isn't he still working?

JTPencils
09-18-2011, 01:00 PM
That stated, I will close this by adding that MY OWN MISGUIDED opinion now exists that the hobby and business of comics is a very shoddy and sad place. No modicum of true sincerity and honesty exists in the comic book entertainment industry, at least not where I'm concerned. I'll shaft ya in the back quicker then a lifer at San Quentin!

Fixed it for ya RO.

Matt Doc Martin
09-18-2011, 02:34 PM

Yes, he was fired. Why isn't he working now? Why doesn't he do anything honest?

Matt Doc Martin
09-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Since my comment won't be approved on his blog:

That statement better be "I will return the maps via Insured, Certified Mail tomorrow". Followed by "I will start paying what I owe now." Followed by you actually making payments.

Sincerely, Matt Doc Martin

P.S. Still want to see me?

J.R. LeMar
09-18-2011, 02:59 PM
As for the cancellation of the convention -- I'm betting that the deposit for the facilities was due 2 days ago (56 days before the event), and he couldn't talk them into delaying that requirement while he scrambled trying to find someone who had the cash-in-hand to pay the deposit. Between that and the cancellation of all his notable guests ... he had nothing.

That's a good guess. It was advertised as being held @ the George T. Hildebrandt. Recreation Center, which had no reservation listed for him a month ago. The awards ceremony for the cosplay contest was advertised as being held an hour after the last day of the con @ Water's Edge Inn and they did say the room was reserved for "Olney Enterprises," which I assume meant that it was paid for since they do say they require a deposit in advance but, knowing him, it's believable that he told them he would send a deposit, so they were holding it for him until a certain deadline, and then he couldn't cough up the dough, so he lost it. And I did notice that he removed the post about the cosplay contest several days ago.

Or that it's going to be.

Well, he was advertising it as a "yearly event." And I believe sometime during the past few months he did make a comment about some kind of plans he already had for his 2012 convention.

Agreed. The whole statement is classic Olney. "I'm not blaming anyone EXCEPT FOR THOSE UNPROFESSIONALS WHO WEREN'T SINCERE!" And the idiocit comment about how 'the opinion now exists" about there being nothing good left in the comic-book industry. Yes, this one extremely ill-conceived and poorly planned convention being canceled is proof that the entire industry is doomed. That just shows he hasn't changed since 1999, when his infamous Birthday Thread on Comicon (http://www.comicon.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=280510) led him to concur that the fact that everyone wasn't jumping all over themselves to wish him a happy birthday was somehow proof that the industry was dying.

And, of course, his separate post to announce that he would be making another post tomorrow about the maps is more of his usual idiocy. What statement is necessary? The posters were advertised as being sold exclusively @ the convention. Now that the convention is canceled, they should be returned to their owner. Case closed.

HamsterRage
09-18-2011, 03:24 PM
It funny Rick wanted Stan Lee and George Lucas to know who he was in the worst way...

And now they might. Stan Lee knows him as a con man and Lucas might know him as a thief.

Matt Doc Martin
09-18-2011, 03:26 PM
It funny Rick wanted Stan Lee and George Lucas to know who he was in the worst way...

And now they might. Stan Lee knows him as a con man and Lucas might know him as a thief.

Does that mean Stan Lee will not appear at Adironathon 2012?

MacQuarrie
09-18-2011, 05:02 PM
I believe he went on disability after his first heart attack. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got years ago.

But now that he's in his mid-50s, he could be facing the same employment problems a lot of us have. I had to start my own company because nobody would even give me an interview; they don't want to talk to anyone who doesn't already have a job, or anyone over 50. If you're both, you're screwed. In that regard, Olney has some sympathy from me; I'm sure the local economy in upstate NY is such that there aren't a lot of job openings for mid-level office drones whose health care costs are scary to employers. Of course, this does not give him license to rip people off.

Coppervale Studio
09-18-2011, 05:14 PM
I can't wait until next year, when he announces the guest list for the Fourth Annual Adironronrondathon.

MacQuarrie
09-18-2011, 05:16 PM
His Adirondathon blog and facebook page are still up, but neither of them have any content to speak of.

Coppervale Studio
09-18-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm actually kind of sad about all this. I was hoping at the very least he'd try to put on a convention this time, even if it crashed and burned. Smarter and more honorable people have done worse. I mean, get one pro with one published credit and a couple of minicomics folks as the guests; get ten tables for dealers and a dozen easels for an art show; promote it with flyers in every business in fifty miles; and put it all in a rented banquet room at a holiday inn. For programming, put a mike on a riser at one end of the room. A hundred people at ten bucks a head puts it in the black.

Do just THAT MUCH, and on year two you can brag about having done it once; and by year ten, you're the Phoenix Comicon, with 25,000 attendees.

Of course, screwing over one of your key guests by threatening to burn the key attraction for the show might derail that whole getting to year two thing, but who's dumb enough to do THAT?

leftwingnutcase
09-18-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm actually kind of sad about all this. I was hoping at the very least he'd try to put on a convention this time, even if it crashed and burned. Smarter and more honorable people have done worse. I mean, get one pro with one published credit and a couple of minicomics folks as the guests; get ten tables for dealers and a dozen easels for an art show; promote it with flyers in every business in fifty miles; and put it all in a rented banquet room at a holiday inn. For programming, put a mike on a riser at one end of the room. A hundred people at ten bucks a head puts it in the black.

Do just THAT MUCH, and on year two you can brag about having done it once; and by year ten, you're the Phoenix Comicon, with 25,000 attendees.

Of course, screwing over one of your key guests by threatening to burn the key attraction for the show might derail that whole getting to year two thing, but who's dumb enough to do THAT?

That ALMOST EXACTLY describes Ithacon. A bunch of minicomics folks, one guaranteed major writer (local Roger Stern) -- and usually one from out of town, Ten Tables for dealers, in the black with approximately 150 at $3.00 a head, going strong for decades.

Ithacon 36, Part II is this weekend. I'm going to have a blast!!!

Gail Simone
09-18-2011, 06:05 PM
I know this saves a lot of people a lot of grief and misery but I still wish there had been a better outcome. Rick paying his bills or someone else doing the con or SOMETHING positive.

As for Matt, it's his honeymoon, I hate that he has to deal with this at all. I hope he has the time of his life, and he and his bride don't give any of this a moment's thought. I wish them only the best, and hopefully Rick will do the honest thing and return the maps despite the threats and bad behavior.

This con was never, ever going to happen. It's just an idiotic business plan, guaranteed to fail. Sad for those people whose time was wasted, but glad they weren't affected MORE adversely.

J.R. LeMar
09-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Now that this latest development in the Rick Olney saga is pretty much over (baring the Matt Busch situation of course, but that does seem like something he should be able to handle himself with competent legal counsel, which we know that Olney will have no defense against), I thought I'd close-out my little contribution with a look back @ how all this began:
LYING IN THE GUTTERS WITH RICK OLNEY (http://fookyoutwit.net/2011/09/18/lying-in-the-gutters-with-rick-olney/)

Gail Simone
09-19-2011, 12:49 AM
I believe he went on disability after his first heart attack. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got years ago.

But now that he's in his mid-50s, he could be facing the same employment problems a lot of us have. I had to start my own company because nobody would even give me an interview; they don't want to talk to anyone who doesn't already have a job, or anyone over 50. If you're both, you're screwed. In that regard, Olney has some sympathy from me; I'm sure the local economy in upstate NY is such that there aren't a lot of job openings for mid-level office drones whose health care costs are scary to employers. Of course, this does not give him license to rip people off.

I'm not saying that's true about his going on disability, but if it is, it makes some of his political bullshit absolutely hilarious.

Gail Simone
09-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Now that this latest development in the Rick Olney saga is pretty much over (baring the Matt Busch situation of course, but that does seem like something he should be able to handle himself with competent legal counsel, which we know that Olney will have no defense against), I thought I'd close-out my little contribution with a look back @ how all this began:
LYING IN THE GUTTERS WITH RICK OLNEY (http://fookyoutwit.net/2011/09/18/lying-in-the-gutters-with-rick-olney/)

That link doesn't work for me?

Gail Simone
09-19-2011, 12:52 AM
I will add, that it's absolutely hilarious that conventions across the county are enjoying record growth, the industry is having its best month in years, comics are going through an amazing, vital recreation, and I have NEVER seen as many new readers, particularly kids and females, as I am seeing lately.

But no, because Rick's guests were able to use google and see what kind of man he truly is, suddenly the industry is sad and awful.

No, Rick. The industry is vibrant, lovely and creative. And they want no fucking part of you.

Matt Doc Martin
09-19-2011, 05:49 AM
Well, he did post my comment, but more than 24 hours have passed and he has not made his statement.

J.R. LeMar
09-19-2011, 06:52 AM
That link doesn't work for me?

That's odd. Looks like it works to me. Here's a direct link: http://fookyoutwit.net/2011/09/18/lying-in-the-gutters-with-rick-olney/

I recall that I used to read all of the LITG columns but I don't think I really paid attention to the Rick Olney segments until the Dec. 11 2006 column, where Ronee was mentioned. I knew her from other websites and Myspace so that's what caught my eye. And then I started reading the Fibber thread. I never would have guessed that 5 years later folks would still be talking about him and that he'd still be trying the same schemes. This last one was the most surprising, I know I shouldn't be surprised by anything he tries @ this point, but I really never would have expected him to attempt another convention. It's hard to believe that he really thought he could pull this off.

MacQuarrie
09-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Okay, so he gets 10 out of 10 for pig-headedness, but 0 for follow-through. And 0 for execution, effort, style, skill....

HamsterRage
09-19-2011, 08:18 AM
I predict his announcement will be nonsense legal talk about how the posters are now his and then he'll spout more bullshit and blame everyone but him for his constant failures.

Matt Doc Martin
09-19-2011, 09:27 AM
I was wrong about the heart trouble, so your guess is probably better than mine.

Artful Angie
09-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Hi folks,

I took a little break from the thread to deal with a family loss out of state. I also wanted to use that time to remove myself for a bit to make sure I had the proper perspective. Something more than a few of you were reminding of, and I thank you for that.

I also see I missed some interesting events while I was in Vermont. The con is over and Matt hasn't recieved his maps back yet? That explains a text message I got.

DISCLAIMER: I CANNOT VERIFY 100% THE VALIDITY OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION I RECIEVED! PLEASE BEAR THAT IN MIND!

Over the weekend a friend texted me. He's worked in the movie collectables field for over ten years now. He's someone I've discussed the whole RO saga with, so he sent me word that one of his friends had mentioned to him an "Indiana Jones map" someone offered to sell him.

Again, this is ONLY verifiable as info from a friend of a friend, but it was enough for me to check out the thread and see what I've been missing.

I asked my friend to warn off his friend, but if he was approached via email or any traceable media to not delete it, and to forward it to me if possible.

RICK, if you are reading this, please understand that selling them locally will NOT go unnoticed. And since the ownership issue of the maps is not really in question, you could be facing charges for selling stolen property if you try.

I'll also be at Albany Comic-Con and will be keeping an eye out for any attempt to sell them there if you haven't posted your "statement" or returned Matt's maps by then.

SarahBeach
09-19-2011, 10:55 AM

Uh.... James... just a thought here ... You have that LOVELY facility, with all that space, in a charming little town in north east Arizona ... I'm betting you could put on one hell of a delightful mini-con right where you are, and folks would be happy to make the drive to Taylor, and stay overnight at the motels in the area for a one-day convention. Heck (assuming I had the gas money), I'd make the drive from LA for that. :D

Just putting a wild thought out there. :D

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-19-2011, 11:51 AM
This post is in concern to the decision to cancel the November 11th-13thAdirondack ComicFest. After reading what comic news antagonist, Rich Johnston (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/18/rick-olney-cancels-adirondack-comic-con/)states; it is clear that the decision to cancel the event was a sound one.

Mr. Johnston dwells in the realm of making a living from the negative slant in comics. He has again proven no journalistic integrity in choosing to further disparage me in his thinly veiled coverage on the Adirondack ComicFest. His words are simply a poor excuse of mixing apples and oranges, as my previous attempts at self publishing continue to stand up contractually against illegitimate claims of debt to others for work that was never produced to the satisfaction of the agreements. But as is often said, and stated several times by Abraham Lincoln in his youthful years, this too shall pass.

Meanwhile, I am reserving my comments regarding the Matt Busch (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/12/now-matt-busch-turns-against-rick-olney-over-indiana-jones/) matter until I am contacted by Lucasfilms. After riding the Busch rollercoaster of support, you'll need to excuse me if I no longer care to deal with someone so starving for the attention of Internet trolls.
http://sequentialsoul.blogspot.com/2011/09/adirondack-comicfest.html

Glenn Barbis Jr.
09-19-2011, 12:06 PM
"Mr. Johnston dwells in the realm of making a living from the negative slant in comics."

Like reporting on cheats & swindlers like Josh Hoopes, Rob Granito, and....YOU, Richard "Rick" Olney III of Tightlip Ent., Olney Ent., & ORCA!

"...as my previous attempts at self publishing continue to stand up contractually against illegitimate claims of debt to others for work that was never produced to the satisfaction of the agreements."

Yes Rick, those claims/agreements that you would PAY the people who worked for you.

"Meanwhile, I am reserving my comments regarding the Matt Busch matter until I am contacted by Lucasfilms. After riding the Busch rollercoaster of support, you'll need to excuse me if I no longer care to deal with someone so starving for the attention of Internet trolls."

In other words, you're going to play it smart this time, since you will be dealing with MAJOR legal quandries if you start ranting like always. But then, you had to get a dig in to Matt, anyway.

I do hope you do the wrong thing Rick (like you always do) and get LucasFilms on their bad-side. Only bad thing is, then the people you owe over $35,000 to, will have even less hope of ever getting their money. At least that money won't go to boost your ego-driven CONvention plans, tho'.

AIPman1
09-19-2011, 12:08 PM
All I hear in what he said: "bla bla bla - its not my fault - bla bla bla - I wont do anything until forced by a court and even then I wont do it if I can get away with it nothing short of garnishments, liens, and police showing up at the front door will make me"

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Since it took Rick 28 hours to comment that he would reserve comment on Matt Busch, I thought I'd remind him of something.

$1k donation (http://www.givethankswalk.org/)being made to this outstanding effort for a charitable cause that I have long supported. I'll be contacting the people I know at St. Jude Children's Hospital before the end of the month to make them aware of this pledge to donate to the above. Official confirmation will be shared with readers of this blog after November 15, 2011.

Sincerely,
Rick Olney
July 7, 2011
http://sequentialsoul.blogspot.com/2011/07/1k-pledge-to-be-made-to-charitable.html
(http://sequentialsoul.blogspot.com/2011/07/1k-pledge-to-be-made-to-charitable.html)
The St. Jude walk is two months from today and you have a little less than two months before you have to come up with a reason why you can't donate. Better start thinking now.

Michael W. Kellar
09-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Did anyone screen capture the latest blog entry about Adirondack Comicfest?

Artful Angie
09-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Meanwhile, I am reserving my comments regarding the Matt Busch matter until I am contacted by Lucasfilms. After riding the Busch rollercoaster of support, you'll need to excuse me if I no longer care to deal with someone so starving for the attention of Internet trolls.

But you already commented, Rick, when you threatened to burn them. Which might be a crime in itself, so Matt can contact the Mohawk Police. You know them, right Rick? The "proper authorities" you claim monitor this thread for "the proper criminal charges" you say need to be folowed up on by them.

If they ARE monitoring this thread, then you basically stated that you were going to burn items you now publicly state have the possibility of NOT BEING OWNED BY YOU, and that in fact you are waiting to hear from the PROPER OWNERS before you do anything with them.

So what Matt needs to do is contact the Mohawk Police, show them proof by forwarding them the link to the YouTube video of himself as the creator of the maps, and forward the police officer the emails and the online screenshots of Rick's, and that should pretty much end the dispute. At that point, Rick is in possession of what would be considered stolen goods.

Does that make sense or am I wrong?

NatGertler
09-19-2011, 01:47 PM
To be fair, the Johnston piece is inaccurate from the very start. Rick is not a "disgraced comics publisher".

Rick never published comics.

"Disgraced wannabe", now that would've been accurate. Rick doesn't know from publishing comics (as shown by his constant reference to "self publishing" for a line which was to involve writers and artists; publishing things that one didn't write nor draw is called "publishing".)

Gail Simone
09-19-2011, 02:28 PM
This is it, Michael.

"The Adirondack ComicFest
Waters Edge Inn Hotel, located in Old Forge, New York
This post is in concern to the decision to cancel the November 11th-13th Adirondack ComicFest. After reading what comic news antagonist, Rich Johnston states; it is clear that the decision to cancel the event was a sound one.

Mr. Johnston dwells in the realm of making a living from the negative slant in comics. He has again proven no journalistic integrity in choosing to further disparage me in his thinly veiled coverage on the Adirondack ComicFest. His words are simply a poor excuse of mixing apples and oranges, as my previous attempts at self publishing continue to stand up contractually against illegitimate claims of debt to others for work that was never produced to the satisfaction of the agreements. But as is often said, and stated several times by Abraham Lincoln in his youthful years, this too shall pass.

Meanwhile, I am reserving my comments regarding the Matt Busch matter until I am contacted by Lucasfilms. After riding the Busch rollercoaster of support, you'll need to excuse me if I no longer care to deal with someone so starving for the attention of Internet trolls."

Gail Simone
09-19-2011, 02:38 PM
I predict he will be back next year with an even more clueless and amateurish fanboy moronic failure. Probably another never-happen publishing plan with that spectacular comics superstar RANDOM MURDERING PRISONER #34738.

MacQuarrie
09-19-2011, 02:40 PM
"...my previous attempts at self publishing continue to stand up contractually against illegitimate claims of debt to others for work that was never produced to the satisfaction of the agreements."

What a steaming load of horseshit. He's lost every suit that's been filed. He never rejected any work as being unsatisfactory. None, Not ever. In every case, the final work was withheld from him because he failed to pay for it.

What a lying scumbag.

Michael W. Kellar
09-19-2011, 02:44 PM
This is it, Michael

Thanks Gail ;)

Gail Simone
09-19-2011, 02:47 PM
"...my previous attempts at self publishing continue to stand up contractually against illegitimate claims of debt to others for work that was never produced to the satisfaction of the agreements."

What a steaming load of horseshit. He's lost every suit that's been filed. He never rejected any work as being unsatisfactory. None, Not ever. In every case, the final work was withheld from him because he failed to pay for it.

What a lying scumbag.

It's true, but it's also not news.

He's done, he has no chance, ever, at getting back in the industry he so desperately wants to be a big wheel in.

Good fucking riddance. The fewer scam artists and deluded make-believe publishers we have, the better.

Gail Simone
09-19-2011, 03:03 PM
And absolutely the saddest and shoddiest thing I've run across in all the time in the industry is Rick Olney, no question or hesitation. The industry got a LOT less shoddy with him pulling out of the convention business.

Cam63
09-19-2011, 04:06 PM
He couldn't sell beer to an Australian.

Gail Simone
09-19-2011, 05:02 PM
And, as always, all talk of paying debts will stop immediately.

Predictable as always.

Gail Simone
09-19-2011, 05:25 PM
"Oh, and wait! Biggest news yet! I'm going to have time next year spent contemplating my next project of self publishing. Finally. Some have poked fun at how I have stated that I was going to re-awaken ORCA or push into retailing, but guess what!? I actually have started those projects. They'll be unveiled when the time comes. I have also managed to gather the 'cream topping on rice pudding' talents in comics. I am looking forward to 2012."

Hahahahahaha!

Coppervale Studio
09-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Shouldn't that be "crumb topping"?

Shurato2099
09-19-2011, 06:16 PM
"cream topping on rice pudding"?! What the heck?

HamsterRage
09-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Where's this nonsense at?

MacQuarrie
09-19-2011, 06:53 PM
"Oh, and wait! Biggest news yet! I'm going to have time next year spent contemplating my next project of self publishing. Finally. Some have poked fun at how I have stated that I was going to re-awaken ORCA or push into retailing, but guess what!? I actually have started those projects. They'll be unveiled when the time comes. I have also managed to gather the 'cream topping on rice pudding' talents in comics. I am looking forward to 2012."
When the judge orders his artistic license revoked, this will be exhibit A.

J.R. LeMar
09-19-2011, 07:05 PM
So in addition to ruining Tony Isabella's life with lawsuits, he's also going to be self-publishing and getting into retailing?!? Dang, he really is going to be busy next year!

NatGertler
09-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Note that he didn't say he'd be self-publishing, just that he would have time "spent" contemplating it. And that his big news.... that he's going to have time to think about doing so. Whoa, accomplishment!

CutterMike
09-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Note that he didn't say he'd be self-publishing, just that he would have time "spent" contemplating it. And that his big news.... that he's going to have time to think about doing so. Whoa, accomplishment!

Now, be fair...! Depending on what he does with Matt's posters, he could have three-to-five years to do nothing but contemplate...

Gail Simone
09-20-2011, 03:54 AM
I notice he didn't keep his word about explaining the Matt Busch/maps situation, either.

I did hear from a few people about him at this con, as well, all bad.

Outsider
09-20-2011, 04:41 AM
Screengrabs:

http://i.imgur.com/wojCy.png

http://i.imgur.com/ibcz2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wojCys.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ibcz2s.jpg

Michael W. Kellar
09-20-2011, 06:31 AM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/20/sending-rick-olney-a-cease-and-desist-letter/

KJ!
09-20-2011, 07:16 AM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/20/sending-rick-olney-a-cease-and-desist-letter/

Oh that poor individual.

It's horrible people like you and your attorney that make it impossible for a man such as Richard Olney to scam innocent people for his own, and only, benefit.

What is this world coming to?

AKA Way to go, Michael.

Gail Simone
09-20-2011, 08:42 AM
hahahahaha, Michael, in case no one has told you lately, YOU KICK SO MUCH ASS.

:)

You guys restored my faith.

Tony Isabella
09-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Three cheers and a tiger for Michael...and to all who stand up to that bullying delusional prick Olney.

Matt Doc Martin
09-20-2011, 08:55 AM

Excellent job!

This is what happens when you use the law correctly. Anyone hesitating on suing Rick Olney, Richard Olney II, Tightlip, Orca, Adironathon, and Barbara Olney would do well to note this and maybe proceed.

Matt Doc Martin
09-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Kellar uses Real Lawyer against Olney. It's Super Effective!

This comment kicked ass.

SarahBeach
09-20-2011, 10:51 AM
I chuckled at Rick's sputtering "I'll... I'll keep your name up on my site until 30 days before the event! So there! Even if you do have a lawyer! Because it's a lot of work for me to delete this information!"

This from the Master of Delete!

And then, of course, he folds quickly in the face of those he senses have serious legal intentions against him.

Tom Stillwell
09-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Again Rick proves he is all mouth and no balls.

HamsterRage
09-20-2011, 04:19 PM
looks like Nick Chumbly is back: http://torrentialspirit.blogspot.com/

Gail Simone
09-20-2011, 09:14 PM
That action figure is ABSOLUTELY DISTURBING!

WilRadcliffe
09-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Now that Olney has canceled the con we can finally reveal his Secret 6!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x272/WilRadcliffe/col_conk_mini_comb.jpg
Stan Lee's Mustache Comb!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x272/WilRadcliffe/pie_cat.jpg
A Cat in a Pie Pan!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x272/WilRadcliffe/potato-grumpy-face-del0511-lg.jpg
A Potato that looks like Adam West!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x272/WilRadcliffe/charlie-sheen-online-show-crazy-hair-600x303-1.jpg
Charlie Sheen!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x272/WilRadcliffe/green13-shocked-senior-man-0409-lg-88069868.jpg
An Old Man Who Stumbled Across Olney's Blog!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x272/WilRadcliffe/tacowhiplash.jpg
A Cowboy Monkey Riding a Dog!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x272/WilRadcliffe/A12A91FF.jpg
And of course, the Adirondack Comicfest mascot, Reach-Around-Bear!

Yes, that's actually 7 guests. But we all know Olney can't count.

Still, it's a shame this stellar event had to be canceled! I heard this would have been the Mustache Combs last con appearance before retiring!

Cam63
09-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the laugh, Wil.

Cam63
09-21-2011, 08:20 AM
looks like Nick Chumbly is back: http://torrentialspirit.blogspot.com/

Well done to him :)

Cam63
09-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Some day, Rick will rediscover the meaning of esteem and honour that would've been yelled and beat into him as a member of the USMC way back when.

...but don't hold your breath, folks.

MacQuarrie
09-21-2011, 10:29 AM
This is what happens when you use the law correctly. Anyone hesitating on suing Rick Olney, Richard Olney II, Tightlip, Orca, Adironathon, and Barbara Olney would do well to note this and maybe proceed.

And then, of course, he folds quickly in the face of those he senses have serious legal intentions against him.

Again Rick proves he is all mouth and no balls.

Olney operates on an infantile level; everything he does is driven by immediate gratification or immediate threat.

If the gratification is delayed (i.e., praise for having put on a good event) he will not work for it. He'll seek a shortcut, a way to get immediate gratification (i.e. by fawning over an unwary artist so he can be seen as a bigshot con promoter). He will utterly disregard all possible consequences.

If the threat is immediate (i.e., a letter from an actual attorney), he will do whatever he thinks he has to in order to address the threat (i.e., take down a libelous page or comment). As soon as the threat stops being immediate (i.e., the collection agency agrees to wait for payment), he falls back to his default position, which is seeking more immediate gratification.

What this means to his victims is, if you bring immediate, consistent, credible threat of reprisal, he will fold like senior class at origami school. You need to sue him (and his wife/business partner, and his corporate entity, even if it doesn't legally exist), and then keep the pressure on him to get payment. File a lien on any property you can identify, even if it's just the Van of Justice on blocks in his front yard. Hit him hard. Cut him (metaphorically speaking) long, wide, deep and repeatedly.

He is a child. You can't reason with a child; you can only impose consequences. You have to slap their hand away from the stove, or let them burn their hand, until they get the idea that they shouldn't touch it.

Sue the bastard. It's the only thing that has a hope of working. email assistance@unscrewedcomic.com

leftwingnutcase
09-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Sue the bastard. It's the only thing that has a hope of working. email assistance@unscrewedcomic.com

And your friends her and elsewhere will write one hell of an amicus brief in your favor, so don't hesitate to ask!

leftwingnutcase
09-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Double post. Sorry.

Artful Angie
09-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Olney operates on an infantile level; everything he does is driven by immediate gratification or immediate threat.

If the gratification is delayed (i.e., praise for having put on a good event) he will not work for it. He'll seek a shortcut, a way to get immediate gratification (i.e. by fawning over an unwary artist so he can be seen as a bigshot con promoter). He will utterly disregard all possible consequences.

If the threat is immediate (i.e., a letter from an actual attorney), he will do whatever he thinks he has to in order to address the threat (i.e., take down a libelous page or comment). As soon as the threat stops being immediate (i.e., the collection agency agrees to wait for payment), he falls back to his default position, which is seeking more immediate gratification.

What this means to his victims is, if you bring immediate, consistent, credible threat of reprisal, he will fold like senior class at origami school. You need to sue him (and his wife/business partner, and his corporate entity, even if it doesn't legally exist), and then keep the pressure on him to get payment. File a lien on any property you can identify, even if it's just the Van of Justice on blocks in his front yard. Hit him hard. Cut him (metaphorically speaking) long, wide, deep and repeatedly.

He is a child. You can't reason with a child; you can only impose consequences. You have to slap their hand away from the stove, or let them burn their hand, until they get the idea that they shouldn't touch it.

And to help anyone with this idea, though, keep this in mind.

He rents, not owns, the house he lives in.

He owns no car, just the SUV his scum-in-law (Starr's boyfriend/baby daddy) drives.

He has no taxable income, as he appears to be on Disability of some kind.

The "grand sweeping family estate" he keeps working on the logging road for is not in his name, as there is a record of him "selling" it to Barbara. As his spouse she could be included in the suit, but my guess is they'll "sell" the land to Starr or the BF to prevent it from being considered as an asset of theirs.

I would suggest doing a search of their assets and as part of the suit ask the judge to freeze any assets they have in their name until AFTER the judgement. I'm not sure if a judge can even do that, though.

Mac, could you answer that question for me?

MacQuarrie
09-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Mac, could you answer that question for me?
I don't know. You'd probably have to ask a lawyer, preferably one knowledgeable in the laws of New York state. I'm sure we could find out.

First order of business is to get some plaintiffs in front of a judge.

HamsterRage
09-21-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't know. You'd probably have to ask a lawyer, preferably one knowledgeable in the laws of New York state. I'm sure we could find out.

Yep... time to sue Barbara Olney, people.

Matt Doc Martin
09-21-2011, 02:47 PM

Yep... time to sue Barbara Olney, people.

yes, this is key.

Anyone who had a deal with Tightlip should sure Barbara, as she was part of Tightlip at that time.

Tom Stillwell
09-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Yes, a judge can do that if a judgment goes unpaid.

J.R. LeMar
09-21-2011, 05:54 PM
(Starr's boyfriend/baby daddy)

Husband. She did get married a few years ago. No need to use the more non-committal terms.

Has anyone been in touch with Scott Reed or Jim Tournas, or the other two people who supposedly won judgments against him (if anyone has more info, along with copies of the evidence, pass them on so I can add the links to my blog along with the others), to see why they haven't taken these next steps, and to make them aware and offer to help them if they didn't know about it?

Also, has anyone contacted Chuck Dixon and Val Staples, or anyone else that we know of who had an actual contract with Olney, to try to convince them to sue him and Barbara?

Gail Simone
09-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Again, I see ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to bring anyone's daughter or son-in-law into this. It is unnecessary. Unless they DIRECTLY had something to do with this, which they don't.

Leave off the kids. I mean it.

MacQuarrie
09-21-2011, 09:33 PM
The courts can garnish Mrs. Olney's paycheck (if you sue her as a co-defendant, since she was a partner in Tightlip); they can seize any asset in either of their names, including income tax refunds, real estate, etc. You'd have a really hard time getting a judge to drag any of his adult childrens' assets into the case, and a much harder time getting a kid's spouse's assets claimed. There's no point in even looking in that direction. None of his kids have ever been part of any of his company filings; they are uninvolved and should remain so.

It's bad enough they have that for a father.

HamsterRage
09-21-2011, 10:07 PM
agreed on all counts

If he doesn't return the posters I'm willing to bet Lucasfilm will have no problem drilling him like there's no tomorrow. They're very protective of their trademark and have destroyed people for smaller offenses.

Plus also having over a billion dollars and shitloads of lawyers to go after every penny Rick has.

I'm not lawyer but it looks to me like they might be able to get him on these:

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article165.htm

S 165.74 Seizure and destruction of goods bearing counterfeit trademarks.

Any goods manufactured, sold, offered for sale, distributed or
produced in violation of this article may be seized by any police
officer. The magistrate must, within forty-eight hours after arraignment
of the defendant, determine whether probable cause exists to believe
that the goods had been manufactured, sold, offered for sale,
distributed or produced in violation of this article, and upon a finding
that probable cause exists to believe that the goods had been
manufactured, sold, offered for sale, distributed, or produced in
violation of this article, the court shall authorize such articles to be
retained as evidence pending the trial of the defendant. Upon
conviction of the defendant, the articles in respect whereof the
defendant stands convicted shall be destroyed. Destruction shall not
include auction, sale or distribution of the items in their original
form.

S 165.45 Criminal possession of stolen property in the fourth degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of stolen property in the
fourth degree when he knowingly possesses stolen property, with intent
to benefit himself or a person other than an owner thereof or to impede
the recovery by an owner thereof, and when:
1. The value of the property exceeds one thousand dollars; or
2. The property consists of a credit card, debit card or public
benefit card; or
3. He is a collateral loan broker or is in the business of buying,
selling or otherwise dealing in property; or
4. The property consists of one or more firearms, rifles and shotguns,
as such terms are defined in section 265.00 of this chapter; or
5. The value of the property exceeds one hundred dollars and the
property consists of a motor vehicle, as defined in section one hundred
twenty-five of the vehicle and traffic law, other than a motorcycle, as
defined in section one hundred twenty-three of such law; or
6. The property consists of a scroll, religious vestment, vessel or
other item of property having a value of at least one hundred dollars
kept for or used in connection with religious worship in any building or
structure used as a place of religious worship by a religious
corporation, as incorporated under the religious corporations law or the
education law.

S 165.00 Misapplication of property.
1. A person is guilty of misapplication of property when, knowingly
possessing personal property of another pursuant to an agreement that
the same will be returned to the owner at a future time,
(a) he loans, leases, pledges, pawns or otherwise encumbers such
property without the consent of the owner thereof in such manner as to
create a risk that the owner will not be able to recover it or will
suffer pecuniary loss; or
(b) he intentionally refuses to return personal property valued in
excess of one hundred dollars to the owner pursuant to the terms of the
rental agreement provided that the owner shall have made a written
demand for the return of such personal property in person or by
certified mail at an address indicated in the rental agreement and he
intentionally refuses to return such personal property for a period of
thirty days after such demand has been received or should reasonably
have been received by him. Such written demand shall state: (i) the date
and time at which the personal property was to have been returned under
the rental agreement; (ii) that the owner does not consent to the
continued withholding or retaining of such personal property and demands
its return; and (iii) that the continued withholding or retaining of the
property may constitute a class A misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up
to one thousand dollars or by a sentence to a term of imprisonment for a
period of up to one year or by both such fine and imprisonment.
(c) as used in paragraph (b) of this subdivision and in subdivision
three of this section, the terms owner, personal property, and rental
agreement shall be defined as in subdivision one of section three
hundred ninety-nine-w of the general business law.
2. In any prosecution under paragraph (a) of subdivision one of this
section, it is a defense that, at the time the prosecution was
commenced, (a) the defendant had recovered possession of the property,
unencumbered as a result of the unlawful disposition, and (b) the owner
had suffered no material economic loss as a result of the unlawful
disposition.
3. In any prosecution under paragraph (b) of subdivision one of this
section, it is a defense that at the time the prosecution was commenced,
(a) the owner had recovered possession of the personal property and
suffered no material economic loss as a result of the unlawful
retention; or (b) the defendant is unable to return such personal
property because it has been accidentally destroyed or stolen; or (c)
the owner failed to comply with the provisions of section three hundred
ninety-nine-w of the general business law.

2 felonies and a misdemeanor.

Artful Angie
09-22-2011, 04:48 AM
Again, I see ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to bring anyone's daughter or son-in-law into this. It is unnecessary. Unless they DIRECTLY had something to do with this, which they don't.

Leave off the kids. I mean it.

Before anyone misreads my comment, let me be clear that I was NOT going after Rick's children. I was ONLY pointing out that Rick himself owns no vehicle to seize as a result of a judgement or lein. That by his own words, the only vehicle they have is the one owned by Starr's now-husband. Thanks for the correction, J.R. I couldn't remember, but seemed to recall Rick calling him his "daughter's boyfriend" when he went on that crazy rant about the bumper stickers.

The courts can garnish Mrs. Olney's paycheck (if you sue her as a co-defendant, since she was a partner in Tightlip); they can seize any asset in either of their names, including income tax refunds, real estate, etc. You'd have a really hard time getting a judge to drag any of his adult childrens' assets into the case, and a much harder time getting a kid's spouse's assets claimed. There's no point in even looking in that direction. None of his kids have ever been part of any of his company filings; they are uninvolved and should remain so.

And that was my main question about them: If Barbara arranges a "sale" of the property Rick owns to another family member before any judgement comes in, that would insulate that property from being attached to the judgement, correct? Would there be any way to place a hold on any selling of land before the judgement as part of the initial filing?

Because the only reason that property was "sold" to Barbara was so Rick didn't have any assets to seize when people went after him. Now if people look to go after Barbara, I'm thinking they'll do the same thing again.

Gail Simone
09-22-2011, 05:27 AM
Calling someone a 'scum-in-law' who had nothing to do with Rick's shenanigans is not allowed, Artie.

Artful Angie
09-22-2011, 06:10 AM
True enough, Gail. I assumed guilt by association with a glib remark when I shouldn't.

But it doesn't invalidate the question of whether such a change in deed can be prevented if attempted. And if such a sale does go through, would that simply be a matter of coincidential timing, or an indication of an active hand in preventing judgements from seizing the property?

leftwingnutcase
09-22-2011, 06:25 AM
True enough, Gail. I assumed guilt by association with a glib remark when I shouldn't.

But it doesn't invalidate the question of whether such a change in deed can be prevented if attempted. And if such a sale does go through, would that simply be a matter of coincidential timing, or an indication of an active hand in preventing judgements from seizing the property?

Please no more "glib remarks", Angie. They seriously undermine your credibility.

Artful Angie
09-22-2011, 06:33 AM
I am definitely trying to work on it, Left. I do appreciate the feedback. It's just so hard to not make a glib remark at Rick's expense. But the baby needs to stay out of the bathwater, you're right. Thanks.

MyNameIsNotLarry
09-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Rick has made yet another new blog. Same bad writing though.

http://somethingstingling.blogspot.com/

Welcome!

Rick Olney writes the further adventures of Freedom 3, featuring Eagle, Globe, and Anchor; Tales of The Spooky;and Stone Spirits. Each soon to be back with substantial details on how and where you can find them! You can also follow him on Sequential Soul ,where jocularity and comics clash. With over 50 years involved with the hobby of comics, and nearly 20 years interacting in active fandom and business he's managed to become The Most Hated Man in Comics. Is it deserved? You be the judge!

He's also on Twitter and Facebook and has an official website being presently designed.

Comments and questions are always welcome either on the blog or via email at rick.olney@gmail.com

Matt Doc Martin
09-22-2011, 06:36 PM
He still owes Scott Reed for the last website he had designed. Shame he is ignoring the court ordered judgment against him.

JTPencils
09-22-2011, 06:38 PM
How do you "write the further adventures" of something that's never seen the light of day (in print that is)... it's akin to saying "the furthering voyages of the Titanic".... what a maroon.

And "soon to be back".... back from where? Obscurity? Nah, that would mean that it was produced once and everyone's just forgotten about it... how about "back from never was..." that would make more sense... wouldn't it?

I just don't get it.

MacQuarrie
09-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Still claiming to have had "4th stage cancer," I see. Given that "5th stage cancer" is also called "dead," I really doubt it.

Tom Stillwell
09-22-2011, 07:01 PM
jocularity = pictures of feces filled toilets

JTPencils
09-22-2011, 07:01 PM
I see Benny Leal is still putting out some of that acclaimed art that RO's so fond of!! Yeesh.

HamsterRage
09-22-2011, 07:03 PM
No statement on his theft huh?

JTPencils
09-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Still claiming to have had "4th stage cancer," I see. Given that "5th stage cancer" is also called "dead," I really doubt it.

I didn't see that part Mac. I read about three lines and had to leave (my IQ was actually squealing at the attempt to understand the mangled prose)...

Hmmmmm... I don't think there's been many folks that's actually had 4th stage cancer and survived long to tell about it. So, I'm just gonna have to call BS on the STAGE it was in... (but I won't call BS on the cancer issue... since I don't know for sure... since my own Dad is going through a cancer issue right now... I honestly don't even find the topic palatable).

JTPencils
09-22-2011, 07:06 PM
I did find it interesting that he admits being "the most hated man in comics" and then asks the reader to decide for themselves... yet doesn't seem to want to include a link of any sort to the sites that any sane person would find with just a quick Google of RO's name. His "history" isn't exactly a secret... it's out there to find... easily enough!

JTPencils
09-22-2011, 07:08 PM

"Theft? What theft? I didn't theft nuthin'.... those maps were mailed to me... they're mine I tell you.. mine mine mine!! I'm a greedy miser!" (a brief and scarey tour through the mind of RO)

Kal El
09-22-2011, 11:29 PM
How can he be the most hated man in comics when he's not and has never been in the comics industry?

Matt Doc Martin
09-23-2011, 02:40 AM
I see Benny Leal is still putting out some of that acclaimed art that RO's so fond of!! Yeesh.

Not new art...same crappy prison art from before. Not sure they are still on speaking terms.

He is awaiting contact from the LucasFilm lawyers. So he is doubling down on idiocy.

How can he be the most hated man in comics when he's not and has never been in the comics industry?

The obvious answer,yes.

AIPman1
09-23-2011, 04:53 AM
We just lost a family member to cancer. for her, "stage four" lasted about 2 months. We have another family member that was just diagnosed with lung cancer, that's already escaped the lung...not sure if they are calling it "stage four" but they give her about 6 months at this time. My wife dad died of "stage four" about 6 years ago. Been around stage 4...have not seen a single person in any of the hospitals or hospice houses I've spent MANY hours in...get up and say "Wow, I'm better!" You pray for a remission situation with that stage of things. But so far, I have not seen it turn out well for any of them. On the other hand. My dad, has had both colon cancer and prostate cancer, it was caught early both times, and he is a cancer free survivor clean for over a decade now.

I dont wish "stage four" on anyone...but if Olney was in it...I'll skip my next colonoscopy and take my chances. I mean surely I'll be able to snap my fingers and get better too, if I ignore prevention.

Eh, on second thought, I think I'll stay vigilant - I've seen the face of stage 4. Attended a funeral for it just yesterday.

Gail Simone
09-23-2011, 05:07 AM
"As usual, the mundane and attempting to be irritating are now spamming my blogs with their contrived lunacy. I refuse to allow the remarks to any of my posts by known trolls and miscreants. I. on the other hand, have no problem publishing the remarks of trolls that use their REAL names known to me by image and the previous 6-7 years of their harassment. It helps paint a picture of them. They are no less ignorant than the make believers. Only cowards hide totally from the public they are trying to communicate with. Seriously delusional. Ineffective. But Emerson said it best with:

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Your true colors are showing, Troll. But continue to act out as immature children at best, or half baked adults being ineffective and wasting your time on matters of me and my life. You'll get no other attention than this. At least you can read, right? "

Jesus, is that even English?

Seriously, Rick's English teachers must still be weeping.

XXXenophile
09-23-2011, 05:22 AM
That's the Charlie Sheen Warlockism language.

Matt Doc Martin
09-23-2011, 05:33 AM
"As usual, the mundane and attempting to be irritating are now spamming my blogs with their contrived lunacy. I refuse to allow the remarks to any of my posts by known trolls and miscreants. I. on the other hand, have no problem publishing the remarks of trolls that use their REAL names known to me by image and the previous 6-7 years of their harassment. It helps paint a picture of them. They are no less ignorant than the make believers. Only cowards hide totally from the public they are trying to communicate with. Seriously delusional. Ineffective. But Emerson said it best with:

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Your true colors are showing, Troll. But continue to act out as immature children at best, or half baked adults being ineffective and wasting your time on matters of me and my life. You'll get no other attention than this. At least you can read, right? "

Jesus, is that even English?

Seriously, Rick's English teachers must still be weeping.

I feel so special, as that must be for me, as I think my comments are the only one allowed. What I would LOVE to see is actual responses to why he refuses to return stolen property. I do not feel any of my comments have been particularly trollish, and as he has posted everything I sent, not spamming either.

This part I love:

I refuse to allow the remarks to any of my posts by known trolls and miscreants. I. on the other hand, have no problem publishing the remarks of trolls that use their REAL names known to me by image and the previous 6-7 years of their harassment.

So I won't do it unless I do it. And even if it is not a "real" name, I will use it. So says me, Rick Olney. Nyah!

Gail Simone
09-23-2011, 05:42 AM
How's that convention going, Rick?

What? You canceled in disgrace when people found out your history?

That sounds about right.

Tony Isabella
09-23-2011, 05:42 AM
I'll be heading to Detroit for the Detroit FanFare in an hour or so. It's one of those real conventions. I don't even have to bring a handcart to move stuff to my table. The con has arranged FREE union help. How awesome is that?

Naturally, I'll be looking over my shoulder the whole time, living in fear of the moment when Rick Olney and his army of ninja lawyers make me pay for my crimes against the Vile Thing.

Or not.

Hope to see many of my friends in Detroit. It'll be a party!

Tony

Gail Simone
09-23-2011, 05:55 AM
That's one of the things I do regret, Tony. I was new to conventions, having only done a couple, when I went to Rick's big garage sale disaster.

It was so unpleasant and grimy and my experience with Rick so reprehensible that I actually didn't do any smaller cons for a good while, I thought they
might all be like Rick's "event."

I was so wrong, every small con and appearance I've done since then has been the exact opposite of that one. Lovely, kind, helpful, and HONEST
con organizers every single time.

So I regret judging other cons by Rick's shitty example.

Matt Doc Martin
09-23-2011, 06:01 AM
That's one of the things I do regret, Tony. I was new to conventions, having only done a couple, when I went to Rick's big garage sale disaster.

It was so unpleasant and grimy and my experience with Rick so reprehensible that I actually didn't do any smaller cons for a good while, I thought they

I was so wrong, every small con and appearance I've done since then has been the exact opposite of that one. Lovely, kind, helpful, and HONEST

I miss the hell out of CAPE.

Shurato2099
09-23-2011, 07:15 AM

Speaking of smaller conventions, *ffwt*thddd* Message for you, Ma'am. :)