PDA

View Full Version : DaVinci Decoded

V-Man
07-01-2005, 06:58 AM
I have always been fascinated with the history of modern religions and Leonardo DaVinci. I've read all of Dan Brown's books and find them intriguing.

So...I was walkin in Walmart (the movie section) and I stumble upon a dvd that has the Vitruvian Man on it. The title says "DaVinci Decoded" and it is 152 minutes long with many extras, so I decided to pick it up.

It was really great, even though I already knew a lot of the information. It even featured the Authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail and The Women with the Alabaster Jar (and many others). I would recommend this movie to anyone who is at least vaguely interested in this subject.

So I guess If ya guys wanted to discuss you're opinions on DaVinci's "codes" or the messed up history of the Catholic church and The Holy Grail, that would be cool. ;)

...Fine here goes..

What do you think the Grail is?

Did Jesus do it with Magdelene?

Was DaVinci really coding messages?

The Roman Candle
07-01-2005, 07:00 AM
No time for love, Dr. Jones!

Adrian B AWESOME
07-01-2005, 07:03 AM
Well, considering print is dead and the fact that the Da Vinci Code was trash, no.

V-Man
07-01-2005, 07:04 AM
No time for love, Dr. Jones!

I dont get it.

V-Man
07-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Well, considering print is dead and the fact that the Da Vinci Code was trash, no.

Okay, but this looks at it from both points of view.

What didnt you like about DaVinci code???

Did you not agree with stuff, if so--Like what???

V-Man
07-01-2005, 07:54 AM
C'Mon Bitches!!!!

JLTorres
07-01-2005, 08:03 AM
My girlfriend is an archivist who restores ancient to medieval documents and translates them from Latin, Old English and German into Modern English. She tried to read it and said it was like Umberto Eco for morons.

I can't say anything personally, but she was offended by the liberties they took and their lack of research.

V-Man
07-01-2005, 08:05 AM
My girlfriend is an archivist who restores ancient to medieval documents and translates them from Latin, Old English and German into Modern English. She tried to read it and said it was like Umberto Eco for morons.

I can't say anything personally, but she was offended by the liberties they took and their lack of research.

I kinda understand what she means. There is a lot of speculation. It was still a great read, but I do understand. What was it that she specifically disliked???

JLTorres
07-01-2005, 08:10 AM
I never even opened the book, so I can't say for sure. She said it was badly written, badly researched and too elementary in its description of the research and restoration community and how they go about their work, or something like that.

Once again, this is her and not me.

Lab-Rat
07-01-2005, 08:21 AM
I dont get it.

I got it...it's an Indiana Jones quote.

V-Man
07-01-2005, 08:58 AM
I never even opened the book, so I can't say for sure. She said it was badly written, badly researched and too elementary in its description of the research and restoration community and how they go about their work, or something like that.

Once again, this is her and not me.

gottcha.

I got it...it's an Indiana Jones quote.

We named the Dog Indiana.

MIKE D
07-01-2005, 09:51 AM
She tried to read it and said it was like Umberto Eco for morons.

Jose, tell your girlfriend that is the best description of the book ever.

V-Man
07-01-2005, 09:58 AM

It was still entertaining for me.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
07-01-2005, 10:20 AM

Cool! That sounds like a fascinating job.

JLTorres
07-01-2005, 10:35 AM

She's a special girl :heart:

JLTorres
07-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Cool! That sounds like a fascinating job.

She loves it. She got to work with a Bible so old that the world map was filled with these parts where they just made stuff up because they had no idea what was actually there. They had sea monsters and dragons in every major body of water and a little legend where they told you what to expect from the different monsters in the different areas.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
07-01-2005, 10:44 AM
She loves it. She got to work with a Bible so old that the world map was filled with these parts where they just made stuff up because they had no idea what was actually there. They had sea monsters and dragons in every major body of water and a little legend where they told you what to expect from the different monsters in the different areas.
Does she work at one of the museums in NYC?

Gavin
07-01-2005, 10:45 AM
I read it, Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and some other stuff, and I thought the Da Vinci code was the worst piece of fiction of I have ever read. It was so poorly written I could barely finish it. Short chapters in a book that long with cliff hangers at the end of every chapter is total manipulation of the reader. Additionally, the descriptions were terrible. I mean, the main character was described as "Harrison Ford in tweed." What a cop-out. Then, when Tom Hanks was cast as the main character for the movie all kinds of people complained because they didn't see him as a good fit. Some even went so far as to say "I always imagined him looking like Harrison Ford" never knowing why they thought that way. Talk about writing for the lowest sector of the American public. However, I can admire the way the book has interested so many people. Some of my friends who don't normally read read it, so that's good, but I thought it sucked.

V-Man
07-01-2005, 11:29 AM
I read it, Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and some other stuff, and I thought the Da Vinci code was the worst piece of fiction of I have ever read. It was so poorly written I could barely finish it. Short chapters in a book that long with cliff hangers at the end of every chapter is total manipulation of the reader. Additionally, the descriptions were terrible. I mean, the main character was described as "Harrison Ford in tweed." What a cop-out. Then, when Tom Hanks was cast as the main character for the movie all kinds of people complained because they didn't see him as a good fit. Some even went so far as to say "I always imagined him looking like Harrison Ford" never knowing why they thought that way. Talk about writing for the lowest sector of the American public. However, I can admire the way the book has interested so many people. Some of my friends who don't normally read read it, so that's good, but I thought it sucked.

I did have short chapters, but I thought that it was very non-paddingesque. He said what he had to say. It was interesting, regardless of the integrity of the source material.

Besides, I want your opinions on the topics this book and others bring up, rather than the book itself.