PDA

View Full Version : Discussion about killing Keiko (Scarab)

redskullrudd
06-23-2010, 08:29 PM
***********IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE WHOLE SERIES - WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!******************

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only Kabuki reader who was moved/shocked by the death of Keiko. As one of the most popular and visually memorable of the Noh assassins I have always been curious about David's choice to kill her off. So, losing sleep over it, pondering it I finally went a head and asked David himself if he had any regrets on killing Keiko so early on.
David as always was kind enough to reply and figured the subject was maybe worthy of opening up here on the board for everyone else to chime in on.
So I'm cutting and pasting out conversation (with his permission) about the subject, for anyone who is interested or wants to add their thoughts on Keiko's untimely exit!!

Q - (REDSKULLRUDD) -Hey David hope you are doing good, I know you are busy so I'll try keep my question brief.
Was re reading volumes 5-6, and am curious - looking back on the series, and her popularity do you have any regrets about killing off scarab?
I guess since she wasn't the only or original scarab you still have options to use her, so I guess my question is any regrets as a writer killing off keiko?
As a fan and reader I was happy with how you chose to finish her, but often wonder if you've ever reflected on it and wished you'd kept her around longer.
Cheers - just one of the random kabuki questions I spend too much time pondering lol.

A - (DAVID MACK) You should totally put these kind of thought out questions on the msgboard - think people would love to join in to this kind of discussion or read it.

I had planned it that way in Meta... when it came to the issue, I was having second thoughts and wondering if I could keep her alive somehow.
Actually- at one point in the planning stage it was going to be Tigerlily that died.
(which is why the figure in Meta is laying a very similary way that Tiger was laying in a shot in MON or Scarab).

But as the Scarab story shaped up in writing, it looked like it had to be Scarab, then as I was doing that issue I was having second thoughts.
But I felt like it would be a cop out, and felt that the story was bigger than that, and it had to be that way. It just clicked that way, and I felt like it was cheating to unclick it.

That said, the Scarab story only showed 2 of Scarab (Keiko's) missions.
Her very first and her very last.
I could totally do any number of Keiko stories in between those.

I could show her stories behind the scenes of what was happening during Circle of Blood, etc.

MACK!
06-23-2010, 09:03 PM
We should probably put a spoilers title for this :)

For those that have not read that part :)

redskullrudd
06-23-2010, 09:20 PM
if you can edit the title David feel free.....for some reason I can't figure out how to change the thread title.....so I added a spoiler warning on the first post. (sorry to anyone who I accidentally leaked the ending to!)

MACK!
06-23-2010, 10:17 PM
if you can edit the title David feel free.....for some reason I can't figure out how to change the thread title.....so I added a spoiler warning on the first post. (sorry to anyone who I accidentally leaked the ending to!)

Cool- I'll give it a shot :)

Thanks for posting it here. I should have mentioned a spoiler title to you.

You always send some very interesting e-mail discussions, so I thought it may be the kind of thing people here also enjoy reading.
You are a valued member here at the boards. I really enjoy all the art you post.
thanks

redskullrudd
06-24-2010, 02:07 AM
thanks David - I appreciate you letting me post it all ;). I'll keep throwing up the art as I get it, and any topics I have on the Kabuki series (there's usually a lot!). Always enjoy having discussions with people on the title, its pretty far reaching and involved and cool to hear what others get out of the series - because I think its something different for everyone. Apologies again for the thread title...next time I'll be a little more cautious. Hope the thread can kick off people's thoughts on Keiko - now I'm kinda hoping to see what she was up to during COB!