PDA

View Full Version : [spoilers] 1.21 Gigawatts?!

Evan Wiener
06-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Back to the Future marathon on ABC Family this weekend made me realize that I've seen the original probably well over 100 times and it's better each time.

I also realized tonight that my life will be incomplete if I don't ever get to test drive a DeLorean. I'm DYING to know how it handles, what it feels like to lift a gulf wing door (does it make that woosh sound, or was that a Hollywood effect?), and yes, I MUST be allowed to get the spedometer to 88 mph.

Also, I love that the 2nd result in a Google search for "gigawatt" is a Wikipedia entry for DeLorean Time Machine.

Ryan Elliott
06-12-2010, 08:49 PM
...what the hell is a Gigawatt?!

Evan Wiener
06-12-2010, 09:03 PM
I think I want this for Father's Day, if I can't get the real thing:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/d0ef/

Brad N.
06-12-2010, 09:04 PM
The BTTF movies are classics. A few years ago a guy down the road from me was selling his Delorean and it was in pristine condition.

cmoney
06-12-2010, 09:08 PM
I've got a pretty rad die-cast DeLorean. No sound effects, but it does have a lever that makes the wheels fold under it for hover-mode. :)

FedEx Fanboy
06-12-2010, 09:09 PM
I was watching this for a while as well. It's been forever since I've seen the BTTF films!

Any way, what the hell is up with the scene right after he escapes the barn, and it's pre-dawn, then all of a sudden full blown daylight?!? It's like they didn't even try to match them up.

LordKinbote
06-12-2010, 09:12 PM
I was watching this for a while as well. It's been forever since I've seen the BTTF films!

Any way, what the hell is up with the scene right after he escapes the barn, and it's pre-dawn, then all of a sudden full blown daylight?!? It's like they didn't even try to match them up.

Time distortion! Duh!

Ryan Elliott
06-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Or...maybe he had been driving a while?

Didn't he run out of gas?

That could explain that.

Evan Wiener
06-12-2010, 09:43 PM
I loved the hell out of this series as a kid. Back to the Future II blew my mind with it's future world craziness. It's amazing how timeless the first one is. Easily a top 5 sfi fi movie for me.

Michael J. Fox is brilliant in it. Even little moments, like at the end when Doc Brown rolls up in his crazy future world attire and Marty looks back at Jennifer in this way that communicates how awkward and embarassed he is with Doc Brown. Ironically, I wonder if the changes he made to his parents' lives would have effected Marty in a way he wouldn't have been close to Doc Brown. I forget, did they ever explain how their friendship started?

HoldFastNow
06-12-2010, 09:59 PM
I loved the hell out of this series as a kid. Back to the Future II blew my mind with it's future world craziness. It's amazing how timeless the first one is. Easily a top 5 sfi fi movie for me.

Michael J. Fox is brilliant in it. Even little moments, like at the end when Doc Brown rolls up in his crazy future world attire and Marty looks back at Jennifer in this way that communicates how awkward and embarassed he is with Doc Brown. Ironically, I wonder if the changes he made to his parents' lives would have effected Marty in a way he wouldn't have been close to Doc Brown. I forget, did they ever explain how their friendship started?

I read this a few years ago but I can't seem to find it online now. I think it was from the script but wasn't filmed. Basically Doc Brown put out an ad for an assistant, offering to pay in beer. Marty applies and gets the job and they become friends from there.

edit: Ah! Found it on the IMPD FAQ page:

We never find out. In an early draft of the screenplay, Marty got to know Doc when he was 15; he would do odd jobs for him as an assistant, initially as an after-school job, but after some time they became friends:

MARTY: Doc Brown's all right - he's just a little hung up on time. A couple of years ago he showed up at my house and hired me to sweep out this garage of his. He pays me 50 bucks a week, gives me free beer...and gives me total access to his record collection - he's got this great old record collection.

evilgenius
06-12-2010, 10:09 PM
So apparently they're making new games based on this series! Let us hope they don't suck like all the rest :(

FedEx Fanboy
06-13-2010, 01:03 AM
Or...maybe he had been driving a while?

Didn't he run out of gas?

That could explain that.

If it was, it was a piss poor passage of time/transition.

And he does run out of gas, but his initially stopping has nothing to do with it.

Butler
06-13-2010, 04:18 AM
Back to the Future marathon on ABC Family this weekend made me realize that I've seen the original probably well over 100 times and it's better each time.

I also realized tonight that my life will be incomplete if I don't ever get to test drive a DeLorean. I'm DYING to know how it handles, what it feels like to lift a gulf wing door (does it make that woosh sound, or was that a Hollywood effect?), and yes, I MUST be allowed to get the spedometer to 88 mph.

Also, I love that the 2nd result in a Google search for "gigawatt" is a Wikipedia entry for DeLorean Time Machine.

This is my Dad (who's a bit of a Doc Brown himself) at a local (Northern Ireland) DeLorean Meet.

http://colossuscollection.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/d1.jpg

http://colossuscollection.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/d2.jpg

http://colossuscollection.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/d3.jpg

stephenp01
06-13-2010, 06:43 AM
Love these movies, for me its definitely up there with the original Star Wars trilogy as my favorite trilogy.

Butler
06-14-2010, 08:03 AM
I watched BTTF last night (in honour of this thread)... it really is just awesome cinema!

SidekicksRevenge
06-14-2010, 08:32 AM
The only thing keeping the original from being a perfect movie is that stupid fucking thing that happens in every third movie where something isn't working at a key moment, so the hero hits it in frustration, which causes it to work. 9.9 out of 10.

Matt Jay
06-14-2010, 08:35 AM

BERMAN_NEWS!
06-14-2010, 08:41 AM
You can buy a brand new delorean:

http://www.delorean.com/index-5-ip.html

Buk Was Right
06-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Viva La Eric Stoltz!

thatguyfromsyracuse
06-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Viva La Eric Stoltz!

Go back to your alternate Fringe universe, weirdo!

Josh!
06-14-2010, 12:33 PM
I read an early draft of the script where Doc was using Marty to run an illegal bootleg video operation. This was the same early draft that involved the time machine being a giant fridge which they had to drive to area 51 to get "back to the future." (which later wound up in "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull").

Yeah, I MUCH prefer the movie we got. Although there's also this now-classic explanation for Marty and Doc's odd friendship: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uwuLxrv8jY

Patrick King
06-14-2010, 12:40 PM
BTTF is part of what my brother calls the Holy Trinity of Trilogies, that is, BTTF, Star Wars (classic trilogy) and Indiana Jones. I'm really excited because my friends and I are going to go see it Wednesday night on a big screen at a park.

Dan
06-14-2010, 01:07 PM
In 5 years, we are going to be the most disappointed people ever. No flying cars, no Hoverboards, no instant dehydrated Pizza Hut, no self drying clothes, and most importantly, no Mr. Fusion.

All we're going to have is multiple TV channels at once, and TV glasses. Maybe double ties will be in fashion then, there's an outside chance of that.

Bervda
06-14-2010, 01:12 PM
So apparently they're making new games based on this series! Let us hope they don't suck like all the rest :(

If you grew up with that first game, this Angry Video Game Nerd video is an absolute MUST watch. I love me some AVGN, and this is one of his best.

http://screwattack.com/videos/AVGN-Back-to-the-Future

DaveCummings
06-14-2010, 01:32 PM
The only thing keeping the original from being a perfect movie is that stupid fucking thing that happens in every third movie where something isn't working at a key moment, so the hero hits it in frustration, which causes it to work. 9.9 out of 10.

It worked for the Millennium Falcon when Han and the rest are trying to get out of the hanger on Hoth.

thatguyfromsyracuse
06-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Who the hell is John F. Kennedy?

GelfXIII
06-14-2010, 02:01 PM
I am your density.

SMACK!
06-14-2010, 11:25 PM
In 5 years, we are going to be the most disappointed people ever. No flying cars, no Hoverboards, no instant dehydrated Pizza Hut, no self drying clothes, and most importantly, no Mr. Fusion.

All we're going to have is multiple TV channels at once, and TV glasses. Maybe double ties will be in fashion then, there's an outside chance of that.

Marty fucked up that 2015 future by not getting into a wreck with Flea. Instead, he became a rock star, and the inventor of hoverboards and Mr Fusion sat around getting high listening to The Pinheads instead of inventing cool shit.

JeremyDale
06-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Marty fucked up that 2015 future by not getting into a wreck with Flea. Instead, he became a rock star, and the inventor of hoverboards and Mr Fusion sat around getting high listening to The Pinheads instead of inventing cool shit.

http://www.newsfromme.com/images2/noprize.jpg

I'll subscribe to that.

Dan
06-15-2010, 05:06 AM
Heavy.

SidekicksRevenge
06-15-2010, 05:07 AM
It worked for the Millennium Falcon when Han and the rest are trying to get out of the hanger on Hoth.

Coincidentally? (or perhaps not) Empire also gets 9.9 out of 10.