PDA

View Full Version : Dane Cook: Rough Around The Edges

Ultimate Lurker
06-12-2010, 11:36 AM
This was on after hilarious Lewis Black last night on Comedy Central, and I had to turn it off when it went to the first commercial break.

Playing in the middle of a giant arena, standing on his own logo?
Using the audio from the speakers to make sure you KNOW he's in a big arena that echoes?
People cheering and yelling at every joke instead of laughing?

So annoying. Some of his stuff is funny, but I couldn't watch that crap. Could they at least get a direct audio feed so it's not hard to actually hear him talk?

I do want to see the new Lewis Black special though, looks really funny. "60 is NOT the new 40!!!"

ernster
06-12-2010, 12:52 PM
i have never liked dane cook's routine.

stevapalooza
06-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed by Dane Cook I just put on Mr. Brooks and keep replaying the scene where he gets killed*. That evens things out.

*screw your spoilers. You should've seen it by now. Dane Cook dies.

AlienKeyes
06-12-2010, 01:16 PM
"Dane Cook! Pay Per View! 20 minutes!"

Ryan Elliott
06-12-2010, 01:17 PM
I think he's really funny.

His latest special was live in a comedy club for 30-ish people.

Stark Raving
06-12-2010, 01:23 PM
I'll pass on Cook, but I'm looking forward to Lewis Black tonight.

Rod Nunley
06-12-2010, 01:37 PM
I think that some of his early stuff is pretty funny. After he blew up it really became less about comedy and more about being a personality.

Also there are some rumors of stealing jokes out there about him (that I admittedly don't know the details of) and I tend to stay away from comics who have that reputation.

Ryan Elliott
06-12-2010, 01:39 PM
I think that some of his early stuff is pretty funny. After he blew up it really became less about comedy and more about being a personality.

Also there are some rumors of stealing jokes out there about him (that I admittedly don't know the details of) and I tend to stay away from comics who have that reputation.

I think it's rumored that he stole a joke or two from Louis CK.

I've never heard or read a side by side, but that's the rumor.

I think it might be a case of Denis Leary/Bill Hicks Jim Fix thing. Where two guys with similar delivery styles talking about the same thing could be seen as joke stealing.

I'm not saying Cook HASN'T stolen jokes, but I've never seen any examples of it.

Rod Nunley
06-12-2010, 01:45 PM

I think it might be a case of Denis Leary/Bill Hicks Jim Fix thing. Where two guys with similar delivery styles talking about the same thing could be seen as joke stealing.

I'm not saying Cook HASN'T stolen jokes, but I've never seen any examples of it.

The only caveat to that is that the Jim Fix bit is not the only bit that Leary stole from Hicks. And he did steal it. Damn near word for word. It was pretty clearly not a case of just being sort of the same.

I like Leary as an actor (which is what he always wanted to be. He has said in interviews that he only did comedy as an inroad to getting on TV or in movies) but he was a straight up comedy thief.

R0cketFr0g
06-12-2010, 01:46 PM
He's a cunt.

Rod Nunley
06-12-2010, 01:48 PM
He's a cunt.

But a stunning one.

MayorMitch100
06-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I used to like his stuff, but that was in Eighth grade when I was stupid and didn't know shit about comedy. Nowadays I cannot stand him.

Rod Nunley
06-12-2010, 01:55 PM
My only problem with the Dane Cook hate is how fashionable it's become. If you really don't like his comedy that's one thing but I hear a lot of hate going his way from people who just a few years ago really liked him.

Again, I think some of his early stuff is very solid comedy. His last few albums were pretty sloppy but the guy has written some solid material.

I honestly think that at this point most people can't view his material with any objectivity.

MayorMitch100
06-12-2010, 01:59 PM
My only problem with the Dane Cook hate is how fashionable it's become. If you really don't like his comedy that's one thing but I hear a lot of hate going his way from people who just a few years ago really liked him.

Again, I think some of his early stuff is very solid comedy. His last few albums were pretty sloppy but the guy has written some solid material.

I honestly think that at this point most people can't view his material with any objectivity.

I enjoyed his stuff for a while. But my comedy choices change a little while ago so his style wasn't that funny to me anymore so I just stopped caring.

Rod Nunley
06-12-2010, 02:27 PM
I enjoyed his stuff for a while. But my comedy choices change a little while ago so his style wasn't that funny to me anymore so I just stopped caring.

Says the guy with a slap stick fall in his signature. ;)

R0cketFr0g
06-12-2010, 02:29 PM

I rode in a car with him once.

Rod Nunley
06-12-2010, 02:33 PM
I rode in a car with him once.

Was he cool or a dick?

MayorMitch100
06-12-2010, 02:34 PM

gotta love Ron Swanson.

R0cketFr0g
06-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Was he cool or a dick?

Honestly neither, he was just a guy. This was way back before he was Dane Cook obviously. He was going strong locally though. I was helping out a guy I worked with who did kind a performance art wrestling based comedy thing and Dane was on later and I got a ride part of the way home in the same car.

I wish he was a dick. :)

tonym
06-12-2010, 02:59 PM
I used to like his stuff when I first heard it, but it got old pretty fast. Now that his on stage presence seems to be about how popular he is, it has become stale really fast.

Recently, I've been obsessed with Anthony Jeselnik...check out his Dane Cook routine on youtube.

edit: have a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_mzj9kiyAE

Buk Was Right
06-12-2010, 03:18 PM

Dude! Don't you EVER talk shit about the comedic majesty of a good pratfall.

MayorMitch100
06-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Dude! Don't you EVER talk shit about the comedic majesty of a good pratfall.

exactly.

stephenp01
11-05-2010, 05:38 PM
So the girl I'm dating now got me to watch one one his bits on Youtube, breaking & entering, and I don't get it. He's just not funny. She loves him for some reason.

CapnChaos
11-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Never found him funny. At all.

Brian Defferding
11-05-2010, 07:30 PM

Thus far, it was the whole "naming your kid" routine, but that joke has been used before by Steve Martin. So if people would call Dane Cook stealing from Louis CK, then Louis CK stole from Steve Martin.

Honestly, I don't think Dane Cook stole from Louis CK, unless there really was something like in Dennis Leary's case where someone called him on it early in his career. Louis CK, on a side note, is completely awesome.

As for Dane Cook, I agree with Rod that I love his early stuff but now he's become a parody of himself and totally annoying. I've noticed a lot of girls think he's hot, kinda like how some girls prefer loud obnoxious assholes while the nice guys finish last :lol: