PDA

View Full Version : FCC Grants MPAA's Wish

Stark Raving
05-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Oh boy, here we go... (http://www.joblo.com/will-this-be-the-end-of-movie-theaters-the-fcc-is-allowing-movie-studios-to-broadcast-into-homes)

The MPAA announced that the FCC granted their request that is "in the public interest" to permit recent movies to be sent directly to American households over secure high definition transmission lines from their cable or satellite providers prior to their release on DVD or Blu-ray.

Foolish Mortal
05-08-2010, 05:32 PM
No. This will not be the end of movie theaters.

Fake Pat
05-08-2010, 05:35 PM
No. This will not be the end of movie theaters.

I think it's probably the beginning of the end.

Don't underestimate how much people hate movie theaters.

bartleby
05-08-2010, 05:54 PM

You're not going to see movies like IRON MAN 2 available on PPV television day-and-date with the theatrical release anytime soon. And when you do, it's going to be at "fight price" levels. Too much money is being made from ticket sales for the studios to lose that revenue stream.

Chances are this is will be used more for independent movies where distribution is more of a burden to the studio much like is being done with HDNet.

Ryan Elliott
05-08-2010, 06:00 PM
You're not going to see movies like IRON MAN 2 available on PPV television day-and-date with the theatrical release anytime soon. And when you do, it's going to be at "fight price" levels. Too much money is being made from ticket sales for the studios to lose that revenue stream.

Chances are this is will be used more for independent movies where distribution is more of a burden to the studio much like is being done with HDNet.

That would be awesome.

Nick Spencer
05-08-2010, 06:03 PM
People love movie theaters.

Ryan Elliott
05-08-2010, 06:07 PM

I know I do.

And don't anyone give me that "Well I have a flat screen and surround sound at home!" crap.

Blow it out your ass.

NOTHING can match the giant ass screen and awesome surround sound of a state of the art movie theater.

Plus, being in a theater helps me concentrate ON the movie. I watch a movie at home, I'm too busy doing other things.

dmh3000
05-08-2010, 06:19 PM

It depends on how you see it? Do you focus on sticky seats, people next to you talking and bad sound quality? Or do you focus on the actual movie?

This will probably hurt cinema going though. Why go out to see something when you can just stay home? You can invite your friends around, everyone brings cheaper snacks and drinks, you can talk as loud as you want and make comments and not bother people, and then you can just pop in another movie when the current one is finished.

That would be great. I've always wanted to do my own independent movie one of these days. And I love indie flicks, so I can watch them.

Think this will cause changes to the box office? Like, people who order movies this way will be contributing to the overall number? Or will it only count for cinemas?

Jacques Toochay
05-08-2010, 06:41 PM

They do?

LeggoMyEggolas
05-08-2010, 06:52 PM

Weird thing is, I kinda thought this was already happening with stuff like IFC In Theaters On Demand. If I so chose, I could watch THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE with my own barf bag from the comfort of my couch.

Foolish Mortal
05-08-2010, 08:06 PM

I don't hate movie theaters. Just the people that go to movie theaters. :)

Jim.
05-08-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't think this is so much about the end of movie theaters as much as it's about choice. There are multiple ways for me to get music. I can go to the store and buy a CD, I can go on iTunes and download it, I can hear it on the radio. So if I want I can CHOOSE to see a first run movie in theaters or in my own home. I like it. Nice work FCC!

dmh3000
05-08-2010, 10:43 PM
I don't hate movie theaters. Just the people that go to movie theaters. :)

I never go the first week or two. That way, there are less people to annoy you.

Humphrey_Lee
05-08-2010, 10:45 PM

I do. At 1 o'clock on a Tuesday. $5 and ten other people are there at the most. Good times.