PDA

View Full Version : screenwriting questions

kon-el kent
05-08-2010, 03:00 PM
hey all,

A few months ago I posted asking for help finding good books about screenwriting and you guys were extremely helpful. I had a few more questions so I thought id throw them out to you again.

1. Do you think auditing a class on screenwriting (for example at nyu or the learning annex) would be helpful?

2. Is screenwriting very different from play writing?

3. Is screenwriting very different from teleplay writing?

I appreciate all the help!!!! I hope Im not being a pain in the ass with all the questions

Mattman
05-08-2010, 05:21 PM
1. Do you think auditing a class on screenwriting (for example at nyu or the learning annex) would be helpful?
Couldn't hurt.

2. Is screenwriting very different from play writing?
One is more dialogue driven and the other is more action and visual driven. However, if you can write one you should be able to teach yourself to write the other.

3. Is screenwriting very different from teleplay writing?
It depends. If you're talking writing teleplays for commercial television than you need to write in the station breaks and use them when structuring your narrative. If you're talking writing for shows like HBO or Showtime, then there really isn't all that much of a difference.

Jonathan Callan
05-09-2010, 12:46 AM
The Complete Guide to Scriptwriting by J. Michael Straczynski covers all these questions very well.