PDA

View Full Version : Mailing a Longbox

mouldy311
05-08-2010, 07:56 AM
I have to ship a longbox across the country. Any ideas on the best/most affordable way to do this?

Jason California
05-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Nope, but report back on how it goes please.

Welcome to the board.

Ultimate Lurker
05-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Having just moved 6 short boxes from apartment to new house, all I can think is that you may be better off selling them to an LCS and rebuying!

TIP
05-08-2010, 08:17 AM
:heybaby:

greg donovan
05-08-2010, 08:51 AM
talk to a comic shop, if they have a mail order service they may have a good idea on how to do it.

dont comics fall under a special classification of mail that gets a cheaper rate?

Simon Bar Sinister
05-08-2010, 09:02 AM
If you are going to mail the box itself with the comics in them, get another lid and put it on the bottom. Then tape the hell out of it. It should arrive ok. You will have to replace the box on the other end. Make sure the box is full, even if you have to fill it out with something else.

Ultimate Lurker
05-08-2010, 09:36 AM
talk to a comic shop, if they have a mail order service they may have a good idea on how to do it.

dont comics fall under a special classification of mail that gets a cheaper rate?

Could maybe use media mail, but USPS has a 70 pound limit.

xyzzy
05-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Why don't you just break it up into smaller boxes?

mouldy311
05-08-2010, 09:54 AM
So due to time, I just had to do it. Comic books don't qualify for media mail because they are technically a magazine and have advertisements in them. It was $50 for a full box, triple taped all over. The box is done for once it gets there, but it'll work. I used parcel post, which will take at least a week to get there, but it was $30 cheaper than the next level, priority mail. Thanks for everyone's help.

Fygar
05-08-2010, 09:55 AM
If these are single issues you CAN NOT send them media mail. It's an arbitrary rule they made that if a book has an advertisement in it, you can't send it media mail. Media mail can be X-rayed at any time, and opened by the USPS if they see fit. If they see comics in the box, they remove them, and just send the packaging to the receiver. I have had this happen to me twice with Ebay sales, so try to avoid it!

I think your best bet would be to get some Priority flat rate boxes. I believe a large flat rate holds about 70 comics, and ships for $14.50 (medium boxes ship for $10.70). Comics are so damn heavy that any other method is going to cost a fortune.

Fygar
05-08-2010, 09:56 AM
So due to time, I just had to do it. Comic books don't qualify for media mail because they are technically a magazine and have advertisements in them. It was $50 for a full box, triple taped all over. The box is done for once it gets there, but it'll work. I used parcel post, which will take at least a week to get there, but it was $30 cheaper than the next level, priority mail. Thanks for everyone's help.

That's actually much cheaper than I thought it would be. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever make a big move.

Ultimate Lurker
05-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Yeah not so bad. Is the box packed pretty full? Cause my short boxes weigh quite a bit.

mouldy311
05-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah not so bad. Is the box packed pretty full? Cause my short boxes weigh quite a bit.

It was full, minus about 10 books I pulled to sell to a friend before I left. But yeah, I was also suprised. It probably helped that the whole box didn't fit completely on the scale, so some of the weight had to be balanced. Got lucky because the teller was about to go on lunch and rushed it. I would guess a full would be about $55-$60.

Jacques Toochay
05-08-2010, 11:36 AM
It probably helped that the whole box didn't fit completely on the scale, so some of the weight had to be balanced.

Not to be annoying science guy, but even if each end of the box was hanging off, the total weight of the box would still register on the scale unless one or both of the ends were being held up by something else. Or did I misunderstand what you were saying?

Ultimate Lurker
05-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Maybe it was flush inside the counter.

mouldy311
05-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Not to be annoying science guy, but even if each end of the box was hanging off, the total weight of the box would still register on the scale unless one or both of the ends were being held up by something else. Or did I misunderstand what you were saying?

Because the longbox was hanging off the small scale, I had to use a hand to hold it up on one end.

Jacques Toochay
05-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Because the longbox was hanging off the small scale, I had to use a hand to hold it up on one end.

Ah, I see. It wasn't possible to actually balance the box completely on the scale without touching it.

Gotcha.
Ok, my OCD is satisfied now.
:)