PDA

View Full Version : Facebook CEO declares: "Age Of Privacy Is Over."

NATE!
05-08-2010, 06:14 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/07/facebook-privacy-changes_n_568345.html

The charts in the article are very interesting, to say the least.

HOOKS
05-08-2010, 06:48 AM
NATE! is... quoting a Huffington Post article... without bashing it?

http://www.affirmationpower.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/head-explode.jpg

In all seriousness though man, thanks for the link. Some common sense for those that lack it: If you want it to be private, don't plaster it all over the internet. Facebook isn't reading your mail or rummaging through your garbage to get dirt on you. If it's on Facebook, it's because you put it there.

NATE!
05-08-2010, 06:54 AM
NATE! is... quoting a Huffington Post article... without bashing it?

In all seriousness though man, thanks for the link. Some common sense for those that lack it: If you want it to be private, don't plaster it all over the internet. Facebook isn't reading your mail or rummaging through your garbage to get dirt on you. If it's on Facebook, it's because you put it there.

While I think they're by and large a bunch of smarmy, pie-faced cocksuckers in the political arena, their tech news is actually pretty good. I'd rather read their stuff than Gizmodo, or such.

Anyway, I posted the article due to their constant changes to their privacy and security policies. You're absolutely right that the information is there, but they make it harder and harder to define who sees it. I'm not doubting that it's demographic farming in a passive manner, and if that's what it truly is, then it's shady at the very least.

Jason California
05-08-2010, 07:24 AM
I rarely join groups, fan pages, or use applications because I don't want my info out there. all that stuff on Facebook is just to get your personal information paying the least amount of money or fooling you with digital trinkets.

WhindamPryce
05-08-2010, 07:41 AM
I have no personal info on facebook. No albums, videos, bio, apps, school/work info, etc.

Just a profile pic and a wall. :thumb:

Ultimate Lurker
05-08-2010, 08:03 AM
With things like four square, more and more is becoming available. You can find out where your friends are, when, and how often. And it's an idea that's rapidly catching on and advancing. Location based everything!

Matt Jay
05-08-2010, 08:35 AM
It would be cool if there was some kind of website that would let me share pictures and updates only with people that are my friends.

NickT
05-08-2010, 08:53 AM
The problem a lot of people have with FB is the way that they act though. It's like when I first started using it, IIRC pretty early on they asked me to look at my settings because of a new privacy feature or something like that. My settings were basically private, they had their reccomended settings as public, and they were selected so if I had just pressed okay it would have changed my details. Or I believe they recently added something that shares your details with selected partners, and you are opted in by default.

Yes, your info is there because you put it there, but that doesn't mean that the way FB treats your privacy is right.

TheKraken
05-08-2010, 10:56 AM
I resisted FB and all the other social networking sites because I didn't want to deal with a bunch of douchebags from high school trying to "reconnect" with me. I was finally convinced I could join Facebook last September because I could make it impossible for anyone who wasn't my friend to contact me. When they took that option away a few weeks after I signed up, I felt hoodwinked.