The one drawn by Eric Canete?

D'oh! :(

Wonder if the Cage Match one-shot out next week will do better

Maestro
05-07-2010, 11:04 PM
what Luke Cage mini??

Kirblar
05-07-2010, 11:20 PM
He's a second string character whose wife is more popular than he is.

This isn't surprising.

BENDIS!
05-07-2010, 11:45 PM
THE WAY i see it he's the star of marvel's number one book :)

Whip
05-08-2010, 12:29 AM
There was a Luke Cage mini??

morlock with a day pass
05-08-2010, 01:16 AM
luke who now?

Ryan Elliott
05-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Luke What?

What Cage?

What what?

Jef UK
05-08-2010, 03:25 AM
Why is that fucked up?

Boris the Blade
05-08-2010, 04:47 AM
It's a very good creative team, but they're not very well-known. He's a great character that doesn't have a ton of popularity outside of New Avengers and Bendis' portrayal. It wasn't advertised a ton. Came in the middle of a big event. It sucks, because it's a pretty decent book, but oh well.

that bastard
05-08-2010, 05:02 AM
I didn't know about it until this post though I admit to not really following Marvel books much anymore...Or DC books for that matter (Seems everything I buy these days is either dark Horse or Dynamite).

I'd get this book simply based on the fact that Eric Canete did the artwork. He's incredible. The only Iron Man comics I have ever purchased were the ENTER THE MANDARIN mini.

Made It Ma!
05-08-2010, 05:05 AM
Is it because the art is the worst thing seen in a Marvel Book since Chuck Austin was writing X-Men?

Matt Jay
05-08-2010, 05:07 AM
I am pretty well immersed in Marvel comics, checking out news boards almost every day, and I did not hear anything about this. Was this even promoted?

Bill Nolan
05-08-2010, 05:32 AM
Is it because the art is the worst thing seen in a Marvel Book since Chuck Austin was writing X-Men?

Um... no.

Ray G.
05-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Why does this surprise you? John Arcudi and Eric Canete don't exactly sell units.

Just enjoy it as a project for fans of the character.

dmh3000
05-08-2010, 05:45 AM
Did not know there was one. Were there posts on this forum alerting people?

Jef UK
05-08-2010, 06:05 AM
Plus, have you seen how many new titles come out every week? Yeesh. Except for Marvel and DC, who cares about the top 100?

bartleby
05-08-2010, 06:08 AM
Plus, have you seen how many new titles come out every week? Yeesh. Except for Marvel and DC, who cares about the top 100?

*pssst* NEW AVENGERS: LUKE CAGE is a Marvel book.

that bastard
05-08-2010, 06:25 AM

That's crazy talk, son. CRAZY TALK.

seeg
05-08-2010, 06:39 AM

There's been an interview and previews surrounding the thing.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/john-arcudi-luke-cage-100115.html

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=304106

http://www.comicvine.com/news/luke-cage-gets-his-own-mini-series/140210/

http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.11866.preview~colon~_new_avengers~col on~_luke_cage_%231

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/news/127016263619673.htm

Even a post about it here:

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=187549

LenNWallace
05-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Only reason I didn't buy it is because I'm not a huge fan of John Arcudi's writing.

cmoney
05-08-2010, 06:50 AM

No, it's not. Canete is amazing.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
05-08-2010, 06:51 AM
*pssst* NEW AVENGERS: LUKE CAGE is a Marvel book.

No, he's saying that only Marvel or DC themselves should care about whether a book makes the top 100.

Hate_Prime
05-08-2010, 06:52 AM

Wrong.

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-08-2010, 06:59 AM
I'm gonna be "that guy" here. I think that the Cage mini could have performed better with a different artist. Other artists love Canete. Some fans love Canete. I thought he did great on Iron Man Enter the Mandarin where I first saw him. But his art is very, very particular and very abstract. Well, let me amend that, its very abstract for a lot of Marvel readers who I feel would have otherwise been there for a Luke Cage mini. I remember when Allred came onto X-force. I knew what I was going to be getting and was excited about it, but man X-men readers had never seen anything like that before and kind of didn't know what to do with it. Granted some, very few, came around through that first introduction to appreciate Mike Allred and seek out other projects by him. But most X-fans didn't know what that was all about or why it looked the way it did.

I don't want the world/ Marvel to think that Luke Cage cannot sustain even a mini series in today's world, that no one wants to see anything like that. There are a few customers that come in and that is the only book they bought and the only one they inquire about release dates for. And I think that there is quantifiable trade waiting going on here too which is part of is placement on the charts. But ultimately, all that matters in that it is where it is on the charts for whatever reason. I'd like to someday see another project with more traditional art to see if that made a difference. Maybe a mini showing Cage's visual and mental transformation from 70s hero for hire, to 90s Mike Tyson look-alike (it happened!), to Avenger/ family man of today. Put an introspective writer on there who knows or is willing to learn that material in question and a traditional Marvel super-hero artist (Lee Weeks?) on it and I think we would see different placement. But what do I know?

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Only reason I didn't buy it is because I'm not a huge fan of John Arcudi's writing.

Read his BPRD material and that will change your mind for you. Even though it is not to be said...

His BPRD is almost better than what Mignola writes.

That's kind of like saying the new Gamera movies and better than the newer Godzilla movies. Fans kinda know it, but you just don' say it. ;)

Fake Pat
05-08-2010, 07:07 AM
I'm gonna be "that guy" here. I think that the Cage mini could have performed better with a different artist. Other artists love Canete. Some fans love Canete. I thought he did great on Iron Man Enter the Mandarin where I first saw him. But his art is very, very particular and very abstract. Well, let me amend that, its very abstract for a lot of Marvel readers who I feel would have otherwise been there for a Luke Cage mini. I remember when Allred came onto X-force. I knew what I was going to be getting and was excited about it, but man X-men readers had never seen anything like that before and kind of didn't know what to do with it. Granted some, very few, came around through that first introduction to appreciate Mike Allred and seek out other projects by him. But most X-fans didn't know what that was all about or why it looked the way it did.

I don't want the world/ Marvel to think that Luke Cage cannot sustain even a mini series in today's world, that no one wants to see anything like that. There are a few customers that come in and that is the only book they bought and the only one they inquire about release dates for. And I think that there is quantifiable trade waiting going on here too which is part of is placement on the charts. But ultimately, all that matters in that it is where it is on the charts for whatever reason. I'd like to someday see another project with more traditional art to see if that made a difference. Maybe a mini showing Cage's visual and mental transformation from 70s hero for hire, to 90s Mike Tyson look-alike (it happened!), to Avenger/ family man of today. Put an introspective writer on there who knows or is willing to learn that material in question and a traditional Marvel super-hero artist (Lee Weeks?) on it and I think we would see different placement. But what do I know?

I dunno man, the numbers on this one sure make it seem like nobody does really wanna see anything like that.

Obviously if some huge names got attached it'd help, but this thing launched around/below where the Shield and the Web books DC put out started at. Both those books were sub-10k in 3 issues.

hamgravy
05-08-2010, 07:15 AM
So, what's the trick to getting someone to try out a new book?

I bought it because I like Canete's art and the character.

BUT, I won't be picking up the rest because the art wasn't hitting me the same way his previous work has and the story is a bit boilerplate for my tastes. Plus, it can't help that the first fight is against a Hippo.

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-08-2010, 07:15 AM
I dunno man, the numbers on this one sure make it seem like nobody does really wanna see anything like that.

Obviously if some huge names got attached it'd help, but this thing launched around/below where the Shield and the Web books DC put out started at. Both those books were sub-10k in 3 issues.

Doesn't have to be huge names. I think that we can all agree that Canete's art is very specific and very stylized. Like I said, some people are not going to know what to do with it or know how to look at it. I think that it could have been a Deadpool mini or Wolverine and it would have had similar placement. And I think that people who are interested in Canete's art are waiting for the collection which reflects as well. I have nothing against Canete even though I can't seem to find ways to say what I want to say without making it look like I do. I just think that it was perhaps too abstract for some readers. Some Marvel readers to be specific. I used to think Scottie Young was much too abstract, but with the Oz stuff he's found something that he is excited about doing, that fits his art style and allows for new experimentation, and has a strong dedicated following that now knows his name. Some artists work for decades and never get that though, but I would hope that Eric Canete finds such success somewhere.

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-08-2010, 07:17 AM
So, what's the trick to getting someone to try out a new book?

I bought it because I like Canete's art and the character.

BUT, I won't be picking up the rest because the art wasn't hitting me the same way his previous work has and the story is a bit boilerplate for my tastes. Plus, it can't help that the first fight is against a Hippo.

I think that this project was supposed to be fun and not a blockbuster sleeper. I think that a Cage project could be a blockbuster sleeper though and that's kind of what the true debate is about. Is the concept viable outside of a team. I think that it is.

Foolish Mortal
05-08-2010, 07:22 AM
what Luke Cage mini??

There was a Luke Cage mini??

I think there's the problem.

I think the book got lost in the shuffle of all the big things happening in Siege and the X-books.

Fake Pat
05-08-2010, 07:24 AM
I think there's the problem.

I think the book got lost in the shuffle of all the big things happening in Siege and the X-books.

I remember seeing a pretty decent amount of promotion for it.

Jef UK
05-08-2010, 07:25 AM
I think a Luke Cage solo hero book can't sell because his real book is New Avengers and now Thunderbolts, and the world doesn't need another street level, crime fighter book. Luke Cage could probably have a solo series that does well, but it would have to be wonderfully different than the generic "dude fights crime."

JamesV
05-08-2010, 07:26 AM
I remember seeing a pretty decent amount of promotion for it.

I do too.

But then I also remember losing track of it and was shocked when I saw it had come out.

I think it could have launched with better numbers if not launched during Seige/Second Coming.

hamgravy
05-08-2010, 07:42 AM
And the issue starts with three well-known and beloved heroes fighting a Hippo only to segue into an after-school special.

Next, please.

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-08-2010, 07:44 AM
I think a Luke Cage solo hero book can't sell because his real book is New Avengers and now Thunderbolts, and the world doesn't need another street level, crime fighter book. Luke Cage could probably have a solo series that does well, but it would have to be wonderfully different than the generic "dude fights crime."

That's like saying that the shelf doesn't need another super hero comic. Or zombie comic. Sure there's plenty already, but the key is making the material stand out within its genre. Which I think maybe is what Canete's art was about as opposed to anyone else. That's the challenge I guess when launching completely new ideas or new minis/ series.

Fake Pat
05-08-2010, 07:45 AM
That's like saying that the shelf doesn't need another super hero comic. Or zombie comic. Sure there's plenty already, but the key is making the material stand out within its genre. Which I think maybe is what Canete's art was about as opposed to anyone else. That's the challenge I guess when launching completely new ideas or new minis/ series.

It is. I think you could argue they're both right.

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-08-2010, 07:45 AM
I do too.

But then I also remember losing track of it and was shocked when I saw it had come out.

I think it could have launched with better numbers if not launched during Seige/Second Coming.

I'll admit that #1 sold out and I until this thread I kind of forgot it was there. I even made myself a note to reorder, but with FCBD lead up and execution I forgot. :surrend:

TIP
05-08-2010, 07:46 AM
The real issue is whether or not anyone that bought it enjoyed it. If so, tell your other comic book reading pals about it. If not...

Mister Mets
05-08-2010, 08:16 AM
It's a very good creative team, but they're not very well-known. He's a great character that doesn't have a ton of popularity outside of New Avengers and Bendis' portrayal. It wasn't advertised a ton. Came in the middle of a big event. It sucks, because it's a pretty decent book, but oh well.Agreed. The sales figures have more to do with the creative team than anything else. I have nothing against Eric Canete and John Arcudi, both of whom are respected within the industry, but they're not going to move a book like this.

If Ed Brubaker and Andy Kubert were the creative team and the book didn't make the top 100, that would be noteworthy.

DaveCummings
05-08-2010, 08:57 AM

Dude, you are so wrong it's not even funny.

Ray G.
05-08-2010, 09:00 AM

Doubtful. Didn't those start at around 150? The odds are this will come in right below the 100 mark, if I had to guess.

Luke Cage does have a small fanbase, bigger than those guys. But I don't think anyone but Bendis (the main Cage writer of recent years) could have made this an actual hit.

DaveCummings
05-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Agreed. The sales figures have more to do with the creative team than anything else. I have nothing against Eric Canete and John Arcudi, both of whom are respected within the industry, but they're not going to move a book like this.

If Ed Brubaker and Andy Kubert were the creative team and the book didn't make the top 100, that would be noteworthy.

I hate to say it, but I have to agree. Eric Canete is one of my favorite artists out there at the moment along with Dan Panosian, Andrew Robinson, and Sean Gordon Murphy and they are mentioned alot by other artists, but I think they are "artist's artists", creators that other artists love, but when it comes to other comic fans, they might not see that appeal.

NickT
05-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Like others said, it had no major names and the artist is one of those that isn't going to be to everybodies tastes.

Also, maybe Cage is popular in a character on a team way, people like him but that doesn't mean they'd buy his solo book?

TIP
05-08-2010, 09:34 AM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/9/9a/Cage_1.JPG

Jason California
05-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Dude, you are so wrong it's not even funny.

The man has a heavily exaggerated style and it is easy to see why some might take a disliking to his style. It is definately not for everyone.

Rod Nunley
05-08-2010, 09:42 AM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/9/9a/Cage_1.JPG

Man those are some tight pants.

HOOKS
05-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Man those are some tight pants.

Which he's able to tuck a thick leather jacket into.

Jason California
05-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Which he's able to tuck a thick leather jacket into.

look at that belt buckle! it could hold anything together.

Mister Mets
05-08-2010, 09:55 AM
I hate to say it, but I have to agree. Eric Canete is one of my favorite artists out there at the moment along with Dan Panosian, Andrew Robinson, and Sean Gordon Murphy and they are mentioned alot by other artists, but I think they are "artist's artists", creators that other artists love, but when it comes to other comic fans, they might not see that appeal.I think Canete's problem in these types of projects is that he hasn't had a lot of exposure yet (especially as his work is rather divisive.) If you haven't read his one issue of Amazing Spider-Man or his Iron Man mini-series, you'd likely have no idea who he is (I have no idea who the three artists you've mentioned are. I'll google them later.)

Canete's work also takes a bit getting used to, so it may not be the most appealing to someone making a snap judgement about whether to pay four bucks for a solo story of an Avenger he likes (especially if the reader's not familiar with Arcudi.)

TIP
05-08-2010, 09:58 AM
look at that belt buckle! it could hold anything together.

And, to think, it used to be his headband/tiara.

Andy Kuhn
05-08-2010, 10:02 AM
And the issue starts with three well-known and beloved heroes fighting a Hippo only to segue into an after-school special.

Next, please.

i love canete's art, and i love arcudi's writing on BPRD, but that's a pretty fair review of the first issue. that hippo on the first three pages was the most interesting thing in the whole book. they shoulda' stuck with him. i'll keep buying it because of canete, and i hope the story gets better. writing-wise the first issue did not hook me at all.

DAVE
05-08-2010, 10:34 AM
I'd have bought this if I knew it existed.

Ben Rosen
05-08-2010, 10:47 AM
I'd have bought this if I knew it existed.

yeah i was looking forward to this.

modungo
05-08-2010, 10:50 AM
yeah i was looking forward to this.

I also had no idea this was out. I remember some promo art from it like for evs ago got me psyched then, nothin.

Simon Bar Sinister
05-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Marvel better get used to their mini's not selling as well. That $3.99 price point is ridiculous. I spend a lot of money on new comics every month (north of 300 bucks). The last few Previews that have come out has seen me cut a large chunk of material.

bartleby
05-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Marvel better get used to their mini's not selling as well. That $3.99 price point is ridiculous. I spend a lot of money on new comics every month (north of 300 bucks). The last few Previews that have come out has seen me cut a large chunk of material.

This book could have been $1.99, and it would have sold about the same number of copies.

Nick Spencer
05-08-2010, 11:39 AM
All I'm gonna say is I adore Eric Canete.

Jef UK
05-08-2010, 11:40 AM
but the key is making the material stand out within its genre. .

So, you mean make the premise more than "dude fights crime." Gotcha.

And the shelf doesn't need another superhero comic. I think that's why we see even the big ones re-brand every 2 or 3 years, and several lesser-selling ones collapse every year. Marvel and DC pretty much have it covered, super-hero-wise.

Just because the market gets another zombie comic doesn't mean the market can support it, and any title's needs in support depends on the needs and goals of the producers of said comic.

Nick Spencer
05-08-2010, 11:43 AM
I hate to say it, but I have to agree. Eric Canete is one of my favorite artists out there at the moment along with Dan Panosian, Andrew Robinson, and Sean Gordon Murphy and they are mentioned alot by other artists, but I think they are "artist's artists", creators that other artists love, but when it comes to other comic fans, they might not see that appeal.

You got some damn good taste there, sir.

Jef UK
05-08-2010, 11:47 AM
It's bizarre not to like Canete's work.

SidekicksRevenge
05-08-2010, 11:56 AM
How did this sell in relation to, say, the monthly Wolverine one-shot? How did it sell in relation to the Firestar one-shot? I'm just curious is all.

Christopher Brian
05-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Canete's art is the reason I didn't buy it.

DaveCummings
05-08-2010, 01:22 PM
The man has a heavily exaggerated style and it is easy to see why some might take a disliking to his style. It is definately not for everyone.

I understand that and if he said that it wasn't something that was for him, I wouldn't have said he was wrong. I responded to him saying it was the "worst thing he's seen since Chuck Austen was writing the X-Men", because it came off like some Newsarama poster.

DaveCummings
05-08-2010, 01:26 PM

I agree. Then again, one of the things I wished for the comic industry is that fans would be more open minded to a wide variety of styles.

that bastard
05-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Canete appeals to me for the same reason that Gabriel Moon and Fabio Ba appeal to me or Scottie Young or Carlos Meglia appeal or Chris Bachalo or Paul Pope appeal to me: The sense of dynamic motion and sense of design that goes beyond more 'traditional' comic book art.

By and large, the majority of "Big Two" comic fans (and, Moreso with Marvel fans, I've found although that's just in my experience) are more traditional in their tastes. That's not a BAD thing. It's just how it is.

I mean, could you IMAGINE the outcry if, say, Guy Davis (who is, most will agree, an INCREDIBLE artist) were to draw a few issues of X-MEN? Or, hell, just look at what happened when Meglia was put on SUPERMAN for a few issues (and ELEKTRA).

It very well may BE a matter of the project not matching the artist (such as Kyle Baker on TRUTH: RED, WHITE, and BLACK although I have SEEN better work from Baker) but it's also a matter or the general narrow-mindedness of the average comic fan.

THWIP!
05-08-2010, 01:51 PM
I liked Canete's stuff from The End League but his art in this mini was too stylized, jagged, and raw. It turned me off.

bartleby
05-08-2010, 01:55 PM
I mean, could you IMAGINE the outcry if, say, Guy Davis (who is, most will agree, an INCREDIBLE artist) were to draw a few issues of X-MEN?

Remember when Eddie Campbell drew part of an issue of UNCANNY X-MEN?

that bastard
05-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Remember when Eddie Campbell drew part of an issue of UNCANNY X-MEN?

I don't but oh my GOD...They must've wanted to LYNCH the editor.

seeg
05-08-2010, 02:48 PM
I think Canete's problem in these types of projects is that he hasn't had a lot of exposure yet (especially as his work is rather divisive.) If you haven't read his one issue of Amazing Spider-Man or his Iron Man mini-series, you'd likely have no idea who he is (I have no idea who the three artists you've mentioned are. I'll google them later.)

Canete's work also takes a bit getting used to, so it may not be the most appealing to someone making a snap judgement about whether to pay four bucks for a solo story of an Avenger he likes (especially if the reader's not familiar with Arcudi.)

A couple people had a discussion on this post at CBR:

You would have a point IF, Black Widow didn't come out in the same month. Like Luke Cage, it had nothing to do with the surplus of series going on, and it definitely did not have a superstar creative team that could move books, yet it still reached reached in the 50's in it's first issue. So it's definitely not a creative team issue.

First, ongoings generally sell more than minis, first issue. Secondly, Black Widow was promoted much heavier than the Luke Cage mini, possibly because it's an ongoing. Third, there's Iron Man 2. Which hadn't come out yet, but I think retailers were directly encouraged to order more of the comic because of the movie tie-in on order forms in the like.

I'm not saying that Luke Cage was suppose to outsell Black Widow or be around her sells when it first debuted. As you provided, outside of the ongoings generally sell more than mini (as that's completely debatable, seeing as all events are mini and they surely sell more than their) Black Widow had some advantages. My primary point, however, was to illustrate that a creative team did not pay a price in regards to how successful Black Widow was, so the same cannot be applied to Luke Cage. Because even though he didn't have a movie dedicated to him, he's arguably been the most pushed character at Marvel thus far. As mention before, he's every where, being of the prime stars at New Avengers, being the leader of the upcoming new avengers as well as the leader of the upcoming thunderbolts, and the area where he shines continues to be among the top selling books of the month. (Including this month, New Avengers I think was 6th)

Black Widow had none of that, definitely NO WHERE near the push character wise as Luke Cage has, and yet still his book didn't crack the top 100.

Bill Nolan
05-08-2010, 02:49 PM
I actually think Eric's artwork is less exaggerated than what passes for the "standard" in superhero books.

WhindamPryce
05-08-2010, 02:52 PM
It's because he's black.

yeah i said it.

:)

Jason California
05-08-2010, 03:07 PM

I think it is time that you get used to the fact that not everybody has your super human abilities to appreciate art Jef. Many are stuck in the mundane.

Mister Mets
05-08-2010, 03:15 PM
A couple people had a discussion on this post at CBR:

Interesting. I'll post this on CBR later as well, but there are a few differences.

Black Widow is a monthly, which can help make the book seem more significant. The character has a prominent role in the second Iron Man movie. The first issue has a shitload of variant covers, which shows a marketing push on Marvel's part. The title also benefits from the 'Women of Marvel' push.

Also, with his Green Lantern & X-Men work, Daniel Acuña has had more exposure than Eric Canete.

Mister Mets
05-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Canete appeals to me for the same reason that Gabriel Moon and Fabio Ba appeal to me or Scottie Young or Carlos Meglia appeal or Chris Bachalo or Paul Pope appeal to me: The sense of dynamic motion and sense of design that goes beyond more 'traditional' comic book art.

By and large, the majority of "Big Two" comic fans (and, Moreso with Marvel fans, I've found although that's just in my experience) are more traditional in their tastes. That's not a BAD thing. It's just how it is.

I mean, could you IMAGINE the outcry if, say, Guy Davis (who is, most will agree, an INCREDIBLE artist) were to draw a few issues of X-MEN? Or, hell, just look at what happened when Meglia was put on SUPERMAN for a few issues (and ELEKTRA).

It very well may BE a matter of the project not matching the artist (such as Kyle Baker on TRUTH: RED, WHITE, and BLACK although I have SEEN better work from Baker) but it's also a matter or the general narrow-mindedness of the average comic fan.I think it's a bit nuanced.

There are fewer options for showcasing the work of less traditional artists, which limits their ability to gain name recognition. Canete could do a kickass job on Daredevil, Deadpool, Wolverine or an Icon book which fits his talents.

He's not a great match for a licensed book with a low "floor" when it comes to sales.

David Aspmo
05-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Panosian and (perhaps to a lesser degree) Robinson, I agree, are probably in the same "artist's artist" camp as Canete is.

But with Sean Murphy, I really think if he got a good, long-ish (at least) high-profile gig, he would have significant mainstream appeal. I'd like to see him get one of the tent-pole arcs on Amazing Spider-Man - preferably one written by Joe Kelly. Or if Kelly ever decided to come back to Deadpool for more than a lark, I'd want Murphy on that.

In all these cases, though, it is possible (though more difficult than it should be), given the right exposure, for the "artist's artist" to make it to the A-list despite not being appreciated by some of the masses. Sienkiewicz did it, Tim Sale did it, Skottie Young is doing it.

Artie Pink
05-08-2010, 05:00 PM
I think there's some Emperor's New Clothes kinda thing going on here over Canete's art.

David Aspmo
05-08-2010, 05:09 PM
I think there's some Emperor's New Clothes kinda thing going on here over Canete's art.
You're thinking wrong, then.

Simps
05-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Seems like kind of a poor time to launch this book amongst all the Siege and Heroic Age hubbub. Why not put it out when things are (presumably) a little quieter in the fall?

bartleby
05-08-2010, 05:26 PM
It's possible that this is one of those deals where Marvel had to publish a book to maintain the trademark on the title.

Bedlam66
05-08-2010, 05:40 PM
I remember reading the first Issue. I liked it.

andrew french
05-08-2010, 07:39 PM
It doesn't look like it, but was this the Luke Cage comic drawn by the Dexter's laboratory creator?

cmoney
05-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Just visit Canete's blog. There's a whole thread on the board dedicated to it already, but if you don't see something you think is worthwhile somewhere on his site, I don't know what to say. I've turned plenty of non-comic friends onto it.

http://kahnehteh.blogspot.com/

Also, the Hippo: I assume that's the "joke" character introduced in the Sinister Spider-Man miniseries?

Matt Jay
05-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Just visit Canete's blog. There's a whole thread on the board dedicated to it already, but if you don't see something you think is worthwhile somewhere on his site, I don't know what to say. I've turned plenty of non-comic friends onto it.

http://kahnehteh.blogspot.com/

Also, the Hippo: I assume that's the "joke" character introduced in the Sinister Spider-Man miniseries?

This is the first I've seen of this guy's work and I have to say: that is some amazing shit right there.

that bastard
05-08-2010, 09:41 PM
This is the first I've seen of this guy's work and I have to say: that is some amazing shit right there.

Yes.

Yes it is.

NickT
05-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Seems like kind of a poor time to launch this book amongst all the Siege and Heroic Age hubbub. Why not put it out when things are (presumably) a little quieter in the fall?
Because of it's position in continuity maybe? It's not post-Siege, if they wait too long it becomes a flashback mini, which would sell even worse.

HOOKS
05-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Eric Canete makes some of the most energic, fun art I have seen in years. Same goes for Skottie Young. I'd love to see either of them on a top 10 book, just to watch the traditionalists scream.

Speaking of the top 10, DC certainly took a huge chunk of it this month, didn't they? But with SIEGE #4, AVENGERS #1, SECRET AVENGERS #1, DARK AVENGERS #16, and NEW AVENGERS FINALE coming this month, the tide will definitely turn.

Andy Kuhn
05-09-2010, 08:33 AM
It doesn't look like it, but was this the Luke Cage comic drawn by the Dexter's laboratory creator?

nope. genndy tartakovsky is writing & drawing a luke cage mini, but he also has a new show at cartoon network that he's overseeing. my guess is that the mini-series takes a back seat to the show.

Andy Kuhn
05-09-2010, 08:37 AM
I agree. Then again, one of the things I wished for the comic industry is that fans would be more open minded to a wide variety of styles.

keep hope alive! :)

ValeriaK
05-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Only Bendis likes Luke Cage

BWC Boston
05-09-2010, 08:55 AM

He bought all 4,000 copies sold. They're lining his rumpus room.

DAVE
05-09-2010, 10:08 AM

I like Luke Cage.

Boris the Blade
05-09-2010, 10:10 AM
nope. genndy tartakovsky is writing & drawing a luke cage mini, but he also has a new show at cartoon network that he's overseeing. my guess is that the mini-series takes a back seat to the show.
Will buy the fuck out of that book.

Ray G.
05-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Eric Canete makes some of the most energic, fun art I have seen in years. Same goes for Skottie Young. I'd love to see either of them on a top 10 book, just to watch the traditionalists scream.

Speaking of the top 10, DC certainly took a huge chunk of it this month, didn't they? But with SIEGE #4, AVENGERS #1, SECRET AVENGERS #1, DARK AVENGERS #16, and NEW AVENGERS FINALE coming this month, the tide will definitely turn.

The top ten will be fairly split in May, I think. It's an insane month. Two issues of Brightest Day, Flash, Two issues of Return of Bruce Wayne, Batman and Robin, Siege #4, Avengers, Secret Avengers, Finale, DA #16, and possibly Fallen. After a couple of down months, it's crazy to think that some huge books aren't going to make the top ten.

Tom Burgos
05-09-2010, 10:33 AM
The top ten will be fairly split in May, I think. It's an insane month. Two issues of Brightest Day, Flash, Two issues of Return of Bruce Wayne, Batman and Robin, Siege #4, Avengers, Secret Avengers, Finale, DA #16, and possibly Fallen. After a couple of down months, it's crazy to think that some huge books aren't going to make the top ten.

Is it true that DC is readying a BATWOMAN solo title (Separate from Detective COmics)?? DO you think that has any chance of making the top ten?

AndrewG
05-09-2010, 10:33 AM

Don't forget Green Lantern

AndrewG
05-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Is it true that DC is readying a BATWOMAN solo title (Separate from Detective COmics)?? DO you think that has any chance of making the top ten?

Yes

And no way

Ray G.
05-09-2010, 10:40 AM

Since Detective Comics never made the top ten with her, and this doesn't have Rucka on board, I'd say not a chance.

Ray G.
05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Don't forget Green Lantern

Right.

Plus, Generation Lost and Birds of Prey, although we don't know just how much Brightest Day will lift those.

And the post-FCBD Superman event, which I think will be ordered significantly heavier than the books preceding it.

It's going to be an absolutely insane month.

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-09-2010, 01:12 PM
So, you mean make the premise more than "dude fights crime." Gotcha.

And the shelf doesn't need another superhero comic. I think that's why we see even the big ones re-brand every 2 or 3 years, and several lesser-selling ones collapse every year. Marvel and DC pretty much have it covered, super-hero-wise.

Just because the market gets another zombie comic doesn't mean the market can support it, and any title's needs in support depends on the needs and goals of the producers of said comic.

Are you suggesting that they stop the presses and put a freeze on...everything? With that attitude, many fine books like Alias and Starman would never have gotten out of the figurative parking lot. Same with books like Invincible and Walking Dead because "in theory" where were similar things or things that appeared to be similar already on the shelves. The most important thing is the effort. It won't always work of course. But if Kurt Busiek and Mark Waid/ Homage-Wildstorm and Boom Studios saw it as you have put it, we would never have had Astro City or Irredeemable. And I think the medium is richer for projects like those.

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Obviously the numbers are not huge, but there is a portion of customers buying this book from me who don't know anything about Siege and are not in the shop to see it. They're there because they heard Luke Cage has his own mini or they're there to see the new Canete book or they like the art and have no idea who Eric Canete is. So I wouldn't say that making this a Heroic Age book or the proximity to Siege is having that big of an impact.

ClintP
05-09-2010, 04:21 PM
did it come with a ring? i would have bought it if it came with a ring.

Kedd
05-09-2010, 06:02 PM
It's possible that this is one of those deals where Marvel had to publish a book to maintain the trademark on the title.

I think that's a slim possibility. Very slim.

bartleby
05-09-2010, 06:15 PM
I think that's a slim possibility. Very slim.

The theory would probably carry more weight if the series was titled POWER MAN or HERO FOR HIRE.

DaveCummings
05-09-2010, 06:16 PM

No, they do that for a character that haven't appeared in any books for quite some time. That's not the case with Luke Cage, with him being such a huge part of the Avengers books. If Morbius or Darkhawk all of a sudden had a book out or had a guest appearance in a book, then that is more of a trademark maintenance.

Joe Kalicki
05-09-2010, 06:17 PM
No, they do that for a character that haven't appeared in any books for quite some time. That's not the case with Luke Cage, with him being such a huge part of the Avengers books. If Morbius or Darkhawk all of a sudden had a book out or had a guest appearance in a book, then that is more of a trademark maintenance.

The character's name has to be in the title of the book.

So don't be surprised to see another Captain Marvel title shortly.

Jef UK
05-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Nevermind, Kalicki covered.

Akira
05-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Honestly, it's a hard sell for a lot of reasons that were mentioned here ("new" creative team, timing of having it between events, Cage in a solo capacity, etc.) but also, the premise is a hard sell too. It doesn't take place in NYC (and therefore, might as well not happen in the Marvel U), and the solicit didn't mention any other big guest stars or villains, and (again, from the solicits) it sounds more like a gang turf war than a superhero battle.

That said, those are all reasons I bought it and will continue to buy it as it comes out.

DAVE
05-10-2010, 10:59 AM
I just bought the first issue and am loving that awesome Canete art!

Jef UK
05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Are you suggesting that they stop the presses and put a freeze on...everything? With that attitude, many fine books like Alias and Starman would never have gotten out of the figurative parking lot. Same with books like Invincible and Walking Dead because "in theory" where were similar things or things that appeared to be similar already on the shelves. The most important thing is the effort. It won't always work of course. But if Kurt Busiek and Mark Waid/ Homage-Wildstorm and Boom Studios saw it as you have put it, we would never have had Astro City or Irredeemable. And I think the medium is richer for projects like those.

I don't really know what you're talking about, or what weird hypothetical you're saying I'm promoting. I'm certainly not worried that Marvel, DC and Image are going to stop putting superhero books on the market. My statements assume that they are. I already pointed out how the needs and expectations of, say, a Robert Kirkman succesfully publishing, say, Walking Dead, would be different than the needs of Marvel succesfully publishing, well, anything they publish. I'm not concerned with similar things being on the shelf, which is not the same as thinking that we don't really need anymore superhero books out there in the world. You seem to be making an argument for quality, which isn't my point.

Albert
05-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't really know what you're talking about, or what weird hypothetical you're saying I'm promoting. I'm certainly not worried that Marvel, DC and Image are going to stop putting superhero books on the market. My statements assume that they are. I already pointed out how the needs and expectations of, say, a Robert Kirkman succesfully publishing, say, Walking Dead, would be different than the needs of Marvel succesfully publishing, well, anything they publish. I'm not concerned with similar things being on the shelf, which is not the same as thinking that we don't really need anymore superhero books out there in the world. You seem to be making an argument for quality, which isn't my point.

I guess what we're all wondering is why you hate comics so much.

seeg
05-10-2010, 05:13 PM
The character's name has to be in the title of the book.

So don't be surprised to see another Captain Marvel title shortly.

Really?

Wasn't the last Cage book out not too long ago?

Joe Kalicki
05-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Really?

Wasn't the last Cage book out not too long ago?

That's almost certainly not the reason why this book is being published.

seeg
05-10-2010, 05:19 PM

Well...

Still, in Cage's case, I'm guess this was to test the waters and see if Cage had become a strong enough character to support his own book?

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-11-2010, 09:31 AM
#1 is coming up back order. Dangit.

DaveCummings
05-11-2010, 10:16 AM

But trademark maintenance is not why this book is coming out. Luke Cage had a book out not too long ago. Besides, if you are talking about trademark maintenance, there are a lot of other characters I'd expect to see minis out for that before Luke Cage, you know?

Dreg
05-11-2010, 10:41 AM
THE WAY i see it he's the star of marvel's number one book :)

Thunderbolts? He's starring in a lot of books despite these low sales numbers.

I think he just needs a better build up before becoming a star player. All of the big event tie-ins kind of wrecked the pace of his character arc. If Spider-woman was any indication, a character will not become an instant classic just because Bendis likes them.

A.Huerta
05-11-2010, 11:22 AM
He's a black, topless, bald guy. He will never sell high numbers.

He's been looking more and more generic, he needs something more.

Kedd
05-11-2010, 11:26 AM
He's a black, topless, bald guy. He will never sell high numbers.

He's been looking more and more generic, he needs something more.

This. I was flipping through the How to break into Comics the Marvel Way book the other day and saw a head shot of what I thought was Cage, but turned out to be Bishop. The sooner he's made more distinctive, the better.

A.Huerta
05-11-2010, 11:31 AM
This. I was flipping through the How to break into Comics the Marvel Way book the other day and saw a head shot of what I thought was Cage, but turned out to be Bishop. The sooner he's made more distinctive, the better.

Hes been in a lot of high profile books and should be able to sell, but I think they should just bring back Iron Fist and Power Man team-up book.

Joe Kalicki
05-11-2010, 12:50 PM
But trademark maintenance is not why this book is coming out. Luke Cage had a book out not too long ago. Besides, if you are talking about trademark maintenance, there are a lot of other characters I'd expect to see minis out for that before Luke Cage, you know?

I never said it was! It was Bart's idea!

Whip
05-11-2010, 12:58 PM

He needs that tiara back.

Kedd
05-11-2010, 01:00 PM

J.B.B.
Just Blame Bart:no:
Typical liberal.

Foolish Mortal
05-11-2010, 02:32 PM
He needs that tiara back.
:no: Not a Tiara. It's a Circlet.

And what they should do is stop drawing all black men bald.

They should give Cage the look he had in House of M.

Akira
05-11-2010, 02:35 PM

Yes, please.

Joe Kalicki
05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I agree. Yes, black guys with shaved heads and goatees are the new cool, but for varieties sake, please. . .

majorjoe23
05-11-2010, 03:56 PM

Milhouse: Bart did it! That Bart, right there!

Rev. Lovejoy: Milhouse, you did the right thing. Bart, come with me for punishment... You too, snitchy.

Kedd
05-11-2010, 04:01 PM

They should give Cage the look he had in House of M.

Yes, please.

A thousand times yes. I think we talked about the horrible state of black male hair in comics, some time ago. He's HoM look would be better, if only because it set him apart slightly.

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Yes, please.

There is one customer who holds me personally responsible for that. He says, "I don't look like that and I don't know anyone who does. Yet all my characters I'm reading look like that."

Best guess, I think its an issue of different types of hair being more difficult to draw than others, and certainly less different than drawing no hair at all. I don't know what's up with that. Whoo-wee.

Whip
05-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Best guess, I think its an issue of different types of hair being more difficult to draw than others, and certainly less different than drawing no hair at all. I don't know what's up with that. Whoo-wee.

It's laziness.

Kedd
05-11-2010, 05:12 PM
It's laziness.

Possibly.

majorjoe23
05-11-2010, 05:13 PM
There is one customer who holds me personally responsible for that. He says, "I don't look like that and I don't know anyone who does. Yet all my characters I'm reading look like that."

Maybe Obama being president will make it cool for black characters to have hair again. Just like he made it cool for me to poop in the pool!

Akira
05-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Possibly.

Either that, or just lack of exposure to a variety of black hairstyles

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Either that, or just lack of exposure to a variety of black hairstyles

Yeah, I kinda miss old school Bishop too. :)

DAVE
05-11-2010, 08:08 PM
I draw Cage with hair :)
(And I think I draw black guy hair pretty well)
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9766/ccf0803201000001.jpg (http://img651.imageshack.us/i/ccf0803201000001.jpg/)

Phil Hester
05-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Don't blame me. I bought the hell out of it.

Kedd
05-11-2010, 08:32 PM

:no:Not enough you didn't. Not nearly enough. You're killing the industry through your lack of commitment.

Akira
05-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I kinda miss old school Bishop too. :)

I always thought it was funny he went from "good hair" and looking like he was part Native, to having 'locks, to bald. It's like they went to the extreme ends of black hair styles and finally settled on bald.

I draw Cage with hair :)
(And I think I draw black guy hair pretty well)
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9766/ccf0803201000001.jpg (http://img651.imageshack.us/i/ccf0803201000001.jpg/)

I agree.

DAVE
05-12-2010, 08:23 AM
I always thought it was funny he went from "good hair" and looking like he was part Native, to having 'locks, to bald. It's like they went to the extreme ends of black hair styles and finally settled on bald.

I agree.

He had a fade for a second there in the mid-90's, (with a widow's peak).
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/x-men/55-1.jpg

And thanks. :)

DaveCummings
05-12-2010, 08:24 AM
I bought the second issue and I was a little bit disappointed that only 1/2 the issue had Canete's artwork. The rest was by a guy named Pepe Larraz and seemed to try and ape Eric's style, but it just looked off.

Patch
05-12-2010, 09:11 AM
It's laziness.

Draw just three consecutive, Marvel quality comic pages-- and then get back to me about 'laziness'.

Cage has evolved from a black superhero to something between that and a black crime story character. So has his look, which has caused a lack of distinction in his appearance in comparison to superhero costumes.

Superheroes sometimes get held down, commercially anyway, by a realistic approach to design.

Andy Kuhn
05-12-2010, 10:37 AM
i just saw a preview of issue #2 (out today). it was six pages drawn by pepe larraz.
from the look of the pages he's a talented guy, but he's no eric canete. sad :(

Jef UK
05-12-2010, 10:43 AM
It's laziness.

Right....

Doug
05-12-2010, 10:53 AM

Not enough to Anchor sales I guess.

Kedd
05-12-2010, 10:53 AM
PATCH

Draw just three consecutive, Marvel quality comic pages-- and then get back to me about 'laziness'.

Cage has evolved from a black superhero to something between that and a black crime story character. So has his look, which has caused a lack of distinction in his appearance in comparison to superhero costumes.

Superheroes sometimes get held down, commercially anyway, by a realistic approach to design.

I believe he was talking less about the work put in on a panel by panel basis and more about the initial design. To the uninitiated, it seems like a short cut to design a character as bald instead of giving them a simple hair style. Either way, I'm sure no one means offense by it and I, for one, apologize if any is read into what I've said.

Kedd
05-12-2010, 11:14 AM
i just saw a preview of issue #2 (out today). it was six pages drawn by pepe larraz.
from the look of the pages he's a talented guy, but he's no eric canete. sad :(

It does look good. Wonder what caused the switch up. Hate some of the dialogue on the page thoough.:no:

A.Huerta
05-12-2010, 11:14 AM
MAybe they should get Keron Grant, Khary Randolph, Jason Pearson or Lesean Thomas to design Luke Cage. You know, some actual brothers. :)

bartleby
05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
MAybe they should get Keron Grant, Khary Randolph, Jason Pearson or Lesean Thomas to design Luke Cage. You know, some actual brothers. :)

And they should only allow mutant creators to design mutant characters.

A.Huerta
05-12-2010, 11:22 AM
And they should only allow mutant creators to design mutant characters.

My comment still stands. Getting an artist who can relate to the character more always brings a stronger and more "real" design to the table.

Patch
05-12-2010, 11:39 AM
I believe he was talking less about the work put in on a panel by panel basis and more about the initial design. To the uninitiated, it seems like a short cut to design a character as bald instead of giving them a simple hair style. Either way, I'm sure no one means offense by it and I, for one, apologize if any is read into what I've said.

Okay, but for the unititiated, there's nothing lazy about drawing comics. It's a lot of work. And the level of art and storytelling skills required today makes it more demanding than ever.

As far as bald, it's an aesthetic preference. It'll change when perception of what looks aesthetically pleasing changes.

Though, yeah, there probably are enough bald, black tough guys now.
It just doesn't have anything at all to do with laziness.

Akira
05-12-2010, 02:24 PM
He had a fade for a second there in the mid-90's, (with a widow's peak).
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/x-men/55-1.jpg

And thanks. :)
Oh, yeah, I forgot about his Onslaught era look

I kinda agree. Not saying that no one can write characters outside of their race, but sometimes some added authenticity can help things ring truer than juts trying to make it up on the fly.

Donal DeLay
05-12-2010, 04:57 PM
My comment still stands. Getting an artist who can relate to the character more always brings a stronger and more "real" design to the table.

That worked out well for MILESONE, eh?

j/k - I think they should just get someone who's good at DESIGN. Because regardless how a creator designs his face, or body type, it won't be the same per artist.

Just look at Hellboy.

THWIP!
05-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Anybody read the newest issue? Only like 7 pages were drawn by Canete. Are we really at the point where we can't get an artist to do 3 issues in 3 months, with lead in time?

And it wasn't like the art was bad but because it went to a different scene with the art change but then in the middle of Canete's scene it went back to the other guys art so there were some inconsistencies and some really badly drawn panels.

A.Huerta
05-15-2010, 12:26 PM
That worked out well for MILESONE, eh?

j/k - I think they should just get someone who's good at DESIGN. Because regardless how a creator designs his face, or body type, it won't be the same per artist.

Just look at Hellboy.

Hellboy is a Demon. Black people are real. :)

panco
05-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Anybody read the newest issue? Only like 7 pages were drawn by Canete. Are we really at the point where we can't get an artist to do 3 issues in 3 months, with lead in time?

And it wasn't like the art was bad but because it went to a different scene with the art change but then in the middle of Canete's scene it went back to the other guys art so there were some inconsistencies and some really badly drawn panels.

:-(.
Well, seems like they're working quite hard not to be in the top 100 ever with that title.

Kedd
05-15-2010, 12:59 PM

Yeah. It was kind of disappointing that Canete didn't do the full issue. The fill in (can't think of his name) is really good though. So there's that at least.

Hellboy is a Demon. Black people are real. :) :mistrust:Are they?

A.Huerta
05-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Yeah. It was kind of disappointing that Canete didn't do the full issue. The fill in (can't think of his name) is really good though. So there's that at least.

:mistrust:Are they?

Now I dont know...