PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to see in Iron Man 3?

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Seems like a pretty safe bet we'll see it, so where do they go from here? Who should be the villain(s)? Should Pepper become Rescue? Should Tony fall farther into alcoholism?

What say you?

panco
05-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Mandarin.
The alcoholism angle is great too.
So a mix of Mandarin and Demon in a bottle.

And armor wars (the first one).

Matt Jay
05-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Demon in a bottle!! Mandarin!

Rod Nunley
05-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Mandarin is the logical answer.

SteveFlack
05-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Forbush Man!

NickT
05-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Tony Stark :)

I want to see it not link too tightly to the Avengers movie. I want this to stay the Iron Man franchise.

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Tony Stark :)

I want to see it not link too tightly to the Avengers movie. I want this to stay the Iron Man franchise.

They've been pretty careful about it, so I think it'll be kept seperate.

I doubt Demon in a Bottle will happen. I'll be surprised if we never see the sentient armor story happen, though.

Xorn
05-07-2010, 11:14 AM
fing fang foom !on a picture in the background
other than that mandarin.
maybe the quesada arc with tony vs his own armor.

Jet
05-07-2010, 11:18 AM

Bah, you beat me to Fing Fang Foom!

Mandarin/Ten Rings would be my choice though.

Brian Defferding
05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Mandarin, of course.

Howlett
05-07-2010, 11:24 AM
I'd like to see them use The Mandarin as a villain. As long as he doesn't end up wearing a suit of armour when he takes on Tony. Stane was fine, but it really spoiled it for me when Whiplash did it. I get why they did it, but I just didn't like seeing it. I don't think I'd want them to go the route of Fraction's Iron Man, and make Pepper become Rescue. There are already enough Iron Men running around in two movies. We have Iron Man and War Machine, let's leave it at that.

I'm not sure I'd want them to go into the alcoholism story much more either. It was a nice touch in the sequel, but it feels like pushing it anymore in the films would be just that. Pushing it. Maybe have him mention he's recovering, or been in rehab. Whatever. Just don't make it the focus again.

And as said, make it Iron Man 3. Not an extension of Avengers. They did a good job of it in IM2, but the scenes at the end with Fury are about as much as I'd want them to go with mentioning the team. I honestly could've done without Black Widow altogether. Mention the team in passing, maybe a cameo of a team mate, but nothing more.

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Howlett just posted on page 2. I'm making this prediction on quick reply on page 1. Howly's post:

"No Scarlet Johanson."

Let's see!

Albert
05-07-2010, 11:40 AM
The "real" Jarvis. That's what these movies are missing. A middle-aged British dude.

Howlett
05-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Howlett just posted on page 2. I'm making this prediction on quick reply on page 1. Howly's post:

"No Scarlet Johanson."

Let's see!

Actually, much as I fucking loathed her being cast as the Widow, I didn't hate her as much as I expected. The overly exaggerated fight moves she used, plus the fact that she doesn't look like she could tear a wet paper bag apart, nevermind throw a half decent punch were my only big problems. She wasn't bad otherwise.

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Actually, much as I fucking loathed her being cast as the Widow, I didn't hate her as much as I expected. The overly exaggerated fight moves she used, plus the fact that she doesn't look like she could tear a wet paper bag apart, nevermind throw a half decent punch were my only big problems. She wasn't bad otherwise.

She really wasn't. Also, the pepper spray was hysterical.

Mister Mets
05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
I agree that a mixture of Mandarin and Demon in the Bottle would be cool.

It could be interesting to contrast Tony Stark's focus on technology with an entity who claims his power comes from elsewhere. That could easily drive Stark to drink.

Favreau has said that he's waiting to see what happens with the introduction of magical elements in Thor and Avengers before he starts Iron Man 3. (http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-news/6546/director-jon-favreau-reveals-the-iron-man-3-villain)

Howlett
05-07-2010, 11:49 AM
She really wasn't. Also, the pepper spray was hysterical.

That and dropping Happy were great, I'll admit.

Ray G.
05-07-2010, 11:49 AM
I'll echo everyone else and say Mandarin.

Put Tony up against something he doesn't understand. It would be pretty interesting to put him completely out of his element.

I don't think Demon in the Bottle would really work, because we already did a sort of mainstream-friendly version of that.

Tony's breakdown amid finding out he's dying, and his various self-destructive actions in the second movie had a lot in common with that story.

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 11:51 AM
That and dropping Happy were great, I'll admit.

I love that Favs gave himself a bigger role this time around.

I'll echo everyone else and say Mandarin.

Put Tony up against something he doesn't understand. It would be pretty interesting to put him completely out of his element.

I don't think Demon in the Bottle would really work, because we already did a sort of mainstream-friendly version of that.

Tony's breakdown amid finding out he's dying, and his various self-destructive actions in the second movie had a lot in common with that story.

Yep, that was more than enough, I think.

Ray G.
05-07-2010, 11:51 AM
I'll give my review in the official thread. I had a lot of problems with this movie, though. It was a fun watch, unlike Spider-man 3, but it had a ton of rough spots.

nick maynard
05-07-2010, 11:53 AM
i don't know if they would do demon in a bottle since they're marketing this to teens, you know?

i'd like to see a real bad guy. like, pick a bad guy from the avengers instead of bad guys from tony's solo book. whiplash was portrayed well in the movie but i would have liked it if the bad guy was a little more A list.

Ryan Elliott
05-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Orange chicken!

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 11:57 AM
i don't know if they would do demon in a bottle since they're marketing this to teens, you know?

i'd like to see a real bad guy. like, pick a bad guy from the avengers instead of bad guys from tony's solo book. whiplash was portrayed well in the movie but i would have liked it if the bad guy was a little more A list.

Nothing about Iron Man has ever really been A-list before the last couple years. Besides, I could care less if it's an A-lister, as long as they come across that way on screen.

nick maynard
05-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Nothing about Iron Man has ever really been A-list before the last couple years. Besides, I could care less if it's an A-lister, as long as they come across that way on screen.
right, i agree with the spirit of that, but i'd still rather see characters i already think are cool than characters i dislike.

i mean, what about al pacino as paste pot pete in iron man 3?

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 12:11 PM
right, i agree with the spirit of that, but i'd still rather see characters i already think are cool than characters i dislike.

i mean, what about al pacino as paste pot pete in iron man 3?

Yeah, I get ya.

I definitely want Hammer back. I think Ghost would be good, too.

Treacle
05-07-2010, 01:01 PM
I can tell you that I don't want anymore villains in iron suits.

Ryan Elliott
05-07-2010, 01:03 PM

"Awww..."

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/WCReaf/comic%20panels/mandarin.jpg

Xorn
05-07-2010, 01:07 PM
besides the x-men movies and catwoman, have we seen a female villain in super hero movies? i am reading some new avengers now and madame masque is in hoods gang, so she could be one villain for the next movie.

Jew Mafia
05-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Taskmaster!

Howlett
05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Yes! Yes! A billion times yes!

I'll add heroes to that too.

Taskmaster!

Give him the updated version that was in Gail Simone's Deadpool, and I'd definitely love this plan!

Ryan Elliott
05-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Yes! Yes! A billion times yes!

I'll add heroes to that too.

So...you don't want to see Iron Man in an Iron Man movie?

nick maynard
05-07-2010, 01:32 PM
besides the x-men movies and catwoman, have we seen a female villain in super hero movies? i am reading some new avengers now and madame masque is in hoods gang, so she could be one villain for the next movie.

agree.

mega agree.

Howlett
05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
So...you don't want to see Iron Man in an Iron Man movie?

No. I don't want to see anymore Iron Men than Iron Man and War Machine. There have been several other people (mostly minor characters, or big ones like Pepper) that have gotten Stark tech armor. I don't want to see anymore suits of armor than IM and WM.

Ryan Elliott
05-07-2010, 01:37 PM
No. I don't want to see anymore Iron Men than Iron Man and War Machine. There have been several other people (mostly minor characters, or big ones like Pepper) that have gotten Stark tech armor. I don't want to see anymore suits of armor than IM and WM.

Ah. Gotcha.

Howlett
05-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Ah. Gotcha.

Now, the flip side of that coin is that I WOULD like to see TONY utilizing more suits of armor. Even a small scene, where he's using space flight armor just for the kick of being able to shoot himself into space because he's bored, or developing the stealth suit to fight the big bad.

Stupendous Man
05-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Definitely Mandarin. And a more focused story.

nhymar
05-07-2010, 02:21 PM

I just had a discussion on that yesterday with a friend. All that we could think of was for female villains other than X-men or Catwoman was Poison Ivy in Batman & Robin. I suppose also some of the vampires in the Blade movies like his mother.
I'd like to see Madame Masque as a villain in the next movie.

Dan-C
05-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Maybe Favereau will finally finish his Viva Las Vegas story

NickT
05-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Now, the flip side of that coin is that I WOULD like to see TONY utilizing more suits of armor. Even a small scene, where he's using space flight armor just for the kick of being able to shoot himself into space because he's bored, or developing the stealth suit to fight the big bad.
That could be cool if done right for sure.

I think one big thing that Iron Man has that helps him really is that he doesn't really have many must have things for a movie. For most franchises people are instantly saying that the movies MUST have this, this and this. With Iron Man there's not as much concensus, gives the makers more freedom to do their stories.

Matthew Brown
05-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Fing Fang Foom in an alcoholic hallucination.

artimoff
05-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Fing Fang Foom in an alcoholic hallucination.

That's Batmite in Batman 3.

PhilipClark
05-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Mandarin, unarmored.

artimoff
05-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Whitney Frost would be a good villian in IM3. Have the Hood show up as well.

Or have it be Hulk.

Ryan Elliott
05-07-2010, 06:22 PM

That would be an awesome opening scene introducing Tony for the third movie.

He built a suit that could not only survive space, but launch him IN to space.

That would be hilariously awesome.

Howlett
05-07-2010, 06:30 PM
That would be an awesome opening scene introducing Tony for the third movie.

He built a suit that could not only survive space, but launch him IN to space.

That would be hilariously awesome.

Considering how spectacularly he tends to fuck it up before getting it right, and even manages to screw up when he DOES get it right, I completely agree with this post.

And of course, it would be the perfect place for yet another AC/DC track, I'm sure.

Ryan Elliott
05-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Considering how spectacularly he tends to fuck it up before getting it right, and even manages to screw up when he DOES get it right, I completely agree with this post.

And of course, it would be the perfect place for yet another AC/DC track, I'm sure.

Hell yes!

Now...which track? Hmmm...

Howlett
05-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Hell yes!

Now...which track? Hmmm...

Considering heading up into space tends to be a reasonably bumpy ride, something like You Shook Me All Night Long would work.

Ryan Elliott
05-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Considering heading up into space tends to be a reasonably bumpy ride, something like You Shook Me All Night Long would work.

I. Can. Totally. See that!!

Howlett
05-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I. Can. Totally. See that!!

Tony Stark isn't the only futurist around! :cool:

Ryan Elliott
05-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Tony Stark isn't the only futurist around! :cool:

Now I really hope that happens. Because it would be awesome.

Howlett
05-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Now I really hope that happens. Because it would be awesome.

Wouldn't it just?

Ryan Elliott
05-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Wouldn't it just?

I think we should get paid for it too.

Howlett
05-07-2010, 07:01 PM
I think we should get paid for it too.

Most definitely.

Get Thunderstruck and Hell's Bells playing during Thor and I'll be the happiest nerd ever.

Ryan Elliott
05-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Most definitely.

Get Thunderstruck and Hell's Bells playing during Thor and I'll be the happiest nerd ever.

Mike Black won't...:scared:

Howlett
05-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Mike Black won't...:scared:

But I will.

And I like me more than I like everyone else :twisted:

Dreaded Anomaly
05-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Most definitely.

I hope IM3 has a scene of Scarlett Johansson doing AC/DC karaoke, so we can watch your head explode. :)

Ryan Elliott
05-07-2010, 07:38 PM
But I will.

And I like me more than I like everyone else :twisted:

Ooooooooo...I'm telllliiiiiiiing...

Ohhhh Reeeeeed...:twisted:

Howlett
05-08-2010, 04:03 AM
Ooooooooo...I'm telllliiiiiiiing...

Ohhhh Reeeeeed...:twisted:

Nuh uh. Me I like. Her I love. Big difference :p

Don't you try and get me into trouble, or you won't get a share in my future non-profits! :mad:

Jonathan Callan
05-08-2010, 05:00 AM
Part of me would rather see Armor Wars than Mandarin. But the last two big villains we've had were basically variations on Iron Monger and Armor Wars would probably be the same. So maybe you could blend that with Mandarin?

Either way, Armor Wars gives you so many fun, little cameos and variety in your villains, even if it's just Stilt Man showing up for two seconds.

Made It Ma!
05-08-2010, 05:07 AM
Mandarin isn't that good of a villain guys. It's nice that he's not another armored guy but...he kinda stinks.

Demon in a Bottle and Armor Wars in an over-stuffed mix

oconnellmd
05-08-2010, 05:08 AM
Roller skates!!!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff53/cocomicsblog/Avengersv101203.jpg

that bastard
05-08-2010, 05:25 AM
That's strange, see, because the prevailing answer is the Mandarin, yet I have no desire to ever actually see him on film. I think the whole "I found a bunch of Alien rings" thing is utter silliness. BUT, on the other hand, without it he's just Shiwan Khan from The Shadow. If they take the mysticism away, he's INSERT ASIAN BUSINESS TYCOON/CRIME LORD STEREOTYPE HERE.

I wouldn't mind seeing a variation on the EXTREMIS storyline. They could tie it in to CAPTAIN AMERICA and THE INCREDIBLE HULK and that whole universe they are trying to build by making the Extremis "virus" an suped-up extension of the Super Soldier Serum (which, I believe it was in the comics, right?). They could explore Tony's penchant for self-destruction a bit more...How the desire to forge ahead technologically and as Iron Man is detaching him more-and-more from humanity.

See, I always pictured Tony Stark's inevitable outcome as similar to Howard Hughes but with cybernetic implants or hooked up to a huge machine remotely controlling Iron Man drones with his mind.

dougmac
05-08-2010, 06:57 AM
That's strange, see, because the prevailing answer is the Mandarin, yet I have no desire to ever actually see him on film. I think the whole "I found a bunch of Alien rings" thing is utter silliness. BUT, on the other hand, without it he's just Shiwan Khan from The Shadow. If they take the mysticism away, he's INSERT ASIAN BUSINESS TYCOON/CRIME LORD STEREOTYPE HERE.

I wouldn't mind seeing a variation on the EXTREMIS storyline. They could tie it in to CAPTAIN AMERICA and THE INCREDIBLE HULK and that whole universe they are trying to build by making the Extremis "virus" an suped-up extension of the Super Soldier Serum (which, I believe it was in the comics, right?). They could explore Tony's penchant for self-destruction a bit more...How the desire to forge ahead technologically and as Iron Man is detaching him more-and-more from humanity.

See, I always pictured Tony Stark's inevitable outcome as similar to Howard Hughes but with cybernetic implants or hooked up to a huge machine remotely controlling Iron Man drones with his mind.

Plus they didn't really follow up with all the ten rings hints from the first film in the second, so the Mandarin isn't the natural fit I thought it would be after the first one. As long as they keep the team together (Favreau, Downey, Paltrow, Bettany, Cheadle [I know], Clark Gregg and maybe even Theroux and Shandling) I'll be happy.

hamgravy
05-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Yeah agreed, Mandarin does not have to be an Asian Business Tycoon/ Crime Lord. I felt the first movie was setting him up to be the head of a global terrorist ring. Very different thing and very 21st century idea of a decentralized, anti-nation, threat.

I would have preferred an overt continuation of those themes on some level. Instead, we got the inverse, the Establishment in Hammer as benefactor to grease monkey terrorism, which worked but doesn't springboard the Ten Rings concept.

Extremis might be an interesting direction but I would be bored to tears over sentient armor or Tony becoming the threat a la Black Suit Spidey.

dougmac
05-08-2010, 07:11 AM
they could have had ten rings sleeper agents working for Hammer or something, but I didn't miss them, I was just surprised that they didn't go there.

hamgravy
05-08-2010, 07:16 AM
they could have had ten rings sleeper agents working for Hammer or something, but I didn't miss them, I was just surprised that they didn't go there.

Or something involving the Russian Ring getting Ivan his papers.

Caley Tibbittz
05-08-2010, 07:24 AM
I would love to see sentient armor as the villain. The comic version was terrible, but I feel like this moviemaking team could get something out of it.

that bastard
05-08-2010, 07:38 AM
I would love to see sentient armor as the villain. The comic version was terrible, but I feel like this moviemaking team could get something out of it.

Right. Something like that mixed with the Extremis thing. I think the only REAL enemy Stark would have is his own technology.

He has to get a bit too big for his breeches and have his own tech come smack him down. I know they sort of touched on this in IM2 but they can take that a bit further.

That's why ONE of the things I want to...Nay: NEED to...see in the AVENGERS movie is Captain America and Iron Man getting into it. Tony's attitude would piss Cap off to no end. And to see Cap peel that iron shell off of Tony as if he were a lobster tail during lobsterfest would be AWESOME.

The Zevad
05-08-2010, 07:51 AM
I agree that a mixture of Mandarin and Demon in the Bottle would be cool.

It could be interesting to contrast Tony Stark's focus on technology with an entity who claims his power comes from elsewhere. That could easily drive Stark to drink.

Favreau has said that he's waiting to see what happens with the introduction of magical elements in Thor and Avengers before he starts Iron Man 3. (http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-news/6546/director-jon-favreau-reveals-the-iron-man-3-villain)

Hmmm. As I recall the ten rings are not magical but alien technology. So Favreau has no worries. Have Mandarin pass it off as magic then Tony figures out their extra terestial orgins and hacks the rings or something like that.

Who ever mentioned Task Masker. That would be intersting but I rather feel Task Master would be a better fit in a Cap movie or as a Avengers foe. SPY MASTER on the other hand. I think Fraction should update all of Tony's foes and add some new ones. Iron Man doesn't have that many foes. Hmmm let me think a bit here. I'm not going to count his corporate foes like Hammer. Or Avengers reccuring foes like Whirlwind or Ultron....so let me think about recurring IM foes...

Crimson Dynamo
Titanium Man
Ultimo
Spy Master
Whip/Blacklash
Mandarin I and II (Temugin)
Living Laser
Firebrand
Firepower
The Ghost
Blizzard
Controller
Killer Shrike
Madame Masque
The Unicorn (Who needs a new name and upgrade like three decades ago)
The Masters of Silence

Fire Brand, Firepower, Crimson Dynamo, and Titanium Man are all armor based foes and I think we are all sick of that.Living Laser would be interesting. A true paranormal foe. Ghost would be nice. He's tech based but not Armor. The Masters of Silence would be great as they are led to believe Tony has no honor. So the inevitable Bad Guy turning around realizing they did you wrong and because the Masters uphold a strict code of bushido will team up with Tony to make it up to him.

Anybody I'm missing?

hamgravy
05-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Because you asked, here's how I could see a streamlined version of Iron Man 2 working better on its own merits and springboarding into the closing chapter of a trilogy: jettison the "the suit tech that is keeping me alive is killing me" sub-plot and subsequent creation of a new friggin' element in favor of Ten Rings world-building.

As I understood the story at the end of Iron Man 1 and the start of this movie, Tony has earned this new found level of Type A narcissism where is his outracing the legacy of his father and his company by trying to save the world from itself all while living the life of a flamboyant billionaire hero. And, he's doing it alone in defiance of the US Government. As shown by the Whiplash attack, the world won't be contained and no one man can do it.

Rather than follow an arc thematically and visually similar to the first movie with Tony upgrading his own life-support system, it makes more narrative sense to focus on how this one man would try to contain decentralized threats (as in Matt Fraction's "5 Nightmares" comic arc) and fail/ burn out. You could even have him "build a better suit" that would be cool to look at and have all bells and whistles but still won't allow him to be everywhere at once. Then, leaning on Rhodey, divesting the company to Pepper, and falling in line with the lead of SHIELD and the US government would show the same maturation of a character who is learning to trust the aid of others.

And, by insinuating The Ten Rings into Ivan's story, maybe as benefactor to his dad as reparations after the fall of the Soviet Union, or as the source of Ivan's papers and intel, the movie can set up a final act in part 3 in which the Ten Rings tighten their grip at the same time as Tony is backed by his friends and allies from this film.

hamgravy
05-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Hmmm. As I recall the ten rings are not magical but alien technology. So Favreau has no worries. Have Mandarin pass it off as magic then Tony figures out their extra terestial orgins and hacks the rings or something like that.

The rings are alien in the comic but don't need to be in the movie.

In the movie, the can stand for ten terrorist rings OR keep them alien or make them mystical and have Tony deal with a threat beyond the realms of science.

mouldy311
05-08-2010, 07:59 AM
The rings are alien in the comic but don't need to be in the movie.

In the movie, the can stand for ten terrorist rings OR keep them alien or make them mystical and have Tony deal with a threat beyond the realms of science.

I vote a secret invasion in the avengers film...and the mandarin's rings get powered up for IM3 from the avengers film.

Zac Goyette
05-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Since Dr. Doom doesn't seem likely, The Mandarin. Madame Masque would also be cool.