PDA

View Full Version : school girl gets a week detention for jolly rancher

CougarTrace
05-07-2010, 07:05 AM
so what do you think? The Texas nutrition laws in schools are strict but each district has discretion over the laws.

According to the Texas Department of Agriculture’s website, “The Texas Public School Nutrition Policy (TPSNP) explicitly states that it does not restrict what foods or beverages parents may provide for their own children's consumption.”

A third-grade girl at a Fort Bend County elementary school was given five days of detention this week for possessing a Jolly Rancher.

The student attends school at Brazos Elementary in the Brazos Independent School District in far west Fort Bend.

School district officials are defending the punishment. The girl’s parents disagree.

“I think it’s stupid to give a kid a week’s worth of detention for a piece of candy,” said Amber Brazda, the girl’s mother. "The whole thing was just ridiculous to me."

THWIP!
05-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Ridiculous seems to be this week's Pee Wee's Play House word.

Jason California
05-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Texas is full of crazies!;)

Ryudo
That's not just ridiculous, that's Drill Kid.

NATE!
If she had it in a Zima, I'd jail her for it. Drinking Zima is a capital offense in my book.

thatguyfromsyracuse
Holy fuck. :lol:

Jason California
05-07-2010, 07:10 AM
If she had it in a Zima, I'd jail her for it. Drinking Zima is a capital offense in my book.

Is Zima still sold? I don't remember seeing it in years.

NATE!
05-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Is Zima still sold? I don't remember seeing it in years.

It sure as hell is.

http://www.zima.com/

bartleby
05-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Since CougarTrace only posted an article with very minimal details and no link back to the source:

Jolly Rancher lands Fort Bend County third-grader in detention for a week

ORCHARD, Texas – A third-grader at Brazos Elementary was given a week’s detention for possessing a Jolly Rancher.

School officials in western Fort Bend County are defending the seemingly harsh sentence. The school’s principal and superintendent said they were simply complying with a state law that limits junk food in schools.

But the girl’s parents say it’s a huge overreaction.

“I think it’s stupid to give a kid a week’s worth of detention for a piece of candy,” said Amber Brazda, the girl’s mother. "The whole thing was just ridiculous to me."

Leighann Adair, 10, was eating lunch Monday when a teacher confiscated the candy. Her parents said she was in tears when she arrived home later that afternoon and handed them the detention notice.

According to the disciplinary referral, she would be separated from other students during lunch and recess through Friday.

Jack Ellis, the superintendent for Brazos Independent School District, declined an on-camera interview. But he said the school was abiding by a state guideline that banned “minimal nutrition” foods.

“Whether or not I agree with the guidelines, we have to follow the rules,” he said.

The state, however, gives each school discretion over how to enforce the policy. Ellis said school officials had decided a stricter punishment was necessary after lesser penalties failed to serve as a deterrent.

Ellis said failing to adhere to the state’s guidelines could put federal funding in jeopardy.

According to the Texas Department of Agriculture’s website, “The Texas Public School Nutrition Policy (TPSNP) explicitly states that it does not restrict what foods or beverages parents may provide for their own children's consumption.”

Brazos Elementary Principal Jeanne Young, said the problem, in this instance, was that the candy was provided by another student – not the girl’s parents.

The girl’s mother said the incident has taught her daughter a lesson, but not the one her teachers intended.

“I told her, ‘Leighann, unfortunately you’re learning very young that life’s not fair,'” Brazda said.

For more information about the state’s policy and its exceptions, click here (http://www.squaremeals.org/fn/render/channel/items/0,1249,2348_2351_0_0,00.html).

http://www.khou.com/news/Candy-Gets-Third-Grader-A-Weeks-Detention-93033319.html

Ray G.
05-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Dumb shit right there.

JamesV
05-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Wow. Those shitheads are some assholes right there.

Inexcusable.

RebootedCorpse
05-07-2010, 07:18 AM
No one loves stories of Texas morons more than I, but, really, there has to be more to this story.

Doug
05-07-2010, 07:18 AM
What would her detention have been if she punched another classmate in the face?

bartleby
05-07-2010, 07:20 AM
If the rule was in place with punishment clearly defined, then the child's fault for willfully breaking it. If not, the school is being ridiculous.

mario
05-07-2010, 07:21 AM
If that's the whole of the story, I'd be there at the end of school and take my kid from school every day. I'd forbid her to go to detention.
What fucking morons are those school people nowadays!

Stupendous Man
05-07-2010, 07:23 AM
well that seems fairly preposterous.

chazbot
05-07-2010, 07:24 AM
At least it wasn't a red, white & blue-colored Jolly Rancher.

Ben
05-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Why the hell is this news? Seriously. Some kid got detention for having candy? That must happen hundreds of times a day. What kind of wackjob parents go to the press over something like this? I once got recess detention for talking, but I was just asking about the reading we were doing! I should've called the newspapers!

mike black
05-07-2010, 07:28 AM
so what do you think? The Texas nutrition laws in schools are strict but each district has discretion over the laws.

Link the entire article, because if you don't most people will roll their eyes without a source.

edwardmblake
05-07-2010, 07:29 AM
I agree with "there has to be something more to this story." This is the first clue.

Ellis said school officials had decided a stricter punishment was necessary after lesser penalties failed to serve as a deterrent.

mike black
05-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Since CougarTrace only posted an article with very minimal details and no link back to the source:

Jolly Rancher lands Fort Bend County third-grader in detention for a week

ORCHARD, Texas – A third-grader at Brazos Elementary was given a week’s detention for possessing a Jolly Rancher.

School officials in western Fort Bend County are defending the seemingly harsh sentence. The school’s principal and superintendent said they were simply complying with a state law that limits junk food in schools.

But the girl’s parents say it’s a huge overreaction.

Leighann Adair, 10, was eating lunch Monday when a teacher confiscated the candy. Her parents said she was in tears when she arrived home later that afternoon and handed them the detention notice.

According to the disciplinary referral, she would be separated from other students during lunch and recess through Friday.

Jack Ellis, the superintendent for Brazos Independent School District, declined an on-camera interview. But he said the school was abiding by a state guideline that banned “minimal nutrition” foods.

“Whether or not I agree with the guidelines, we have to follow the rules,” he said.

The state, however, gives each school discretion over how to enforce the policy. Ellis said school officials had decided a stricter punishment was necessary after lesser penalties failed to serve as a deterrent.

Ellis said failing to adhere to the state’s guidelines could put federal funding in jeopardy.

Brazos Elementary Principal Jeanne Young, said the problem, in this instance, was that the candy was provided by another student – not the girl’s parents.

The girl’s mother said the incident has taught her daughter a lesson, but not the one her teachers intended.

“I told her, ‘Leighann, unfortunately you’re learning very young that life’s not fair,'” Brazda said.

For more information about the state’s policy and its exceptions, click here (http://www.squaremeals.org/fn/render/channel/items/0,1249,2348_2351_0_0,00.html).

http://www.khou.com/news/Candy-Gets-Third-Grader-A-Weeks-Detention-93033319.html

http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/nanny-state.jpg

mario
05-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Why the hell is this news? Seriously. Some kid got detention for having candy? That must happen hundreds of times a day. What kind of wackjob parents go to the press over something like this?

because it's a moronic reason to get a weeks worth of detention? And the moronic school needs to be publicly spanked over it?

Just guessing out loud here

CougarTrace
05-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Link the entire article, because if you don't most people will roll their eyes without a source.

not that I care about rolling eyes, but I was looking for the whole story from a different source :roll:. It gets a little more involved but I still think school district is overreacting.

afroloq
05-07-2010, 07:34 AM
How will Arizona top this?

WWAzD

CougarTrace
05-07-2010, 07:38 AM
I will say that Texas is very strict nutritionally at least at the elementary level.

They won't even budge for kids who need to gain weight...

Fake Pat
05-07-2010, 07:43 AM
not that I care about rolling eyes, but I was looking for the whole story from a different source :roll:. It gets a little more involved but I still think school district is overreacting.

Isn't that the exact same link bart put up?

HoldFastNow
05-07-2010, 07:44 AM
If the rule was in place with punishment clearly defined, then the child's fault for willfully breaking it. If not, the school is being ridiculous.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Fucking stupid.

Since when did detention get such headlines, though? I got 3 days for missing a fucking Chorus concert in sixth grade. I'm sure the loss of my vocal talents GREATLY impacted the sound of the 30 some odd other pre-pubescents singing "Black Bird," but that shit never made the paper.

Bill Nolan
05-07-2010, 08:00 AM

Shit, this kid is screwed with a mom like this. Learning life is not fair is a GOOD thing to teach your kids. Thinking it's bad only encourages the ridiculous sense of entitlement which permeates this story.

And I think they are defining "detention" as separating her from the other kids during lunch for a week, not keeping her after school. That's what I got from reading the article. Big whoop. Tell her to man up. Kids are such frigging nancies today.

Ab4dd0n
05-07-2010, 08:00 AM
I might be slightly understanding if the girl was eating the candy during class, but it says she was at lunch.
It isn't like she covered her hands in peanut butter and started rubbing them on the allergic kid

Ben
05-07-2010, 08:01 AM
http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/nanny-state.jpg
I'm not sure if the Nanny State complaint can be used to criticize things the caretakers of children do.

valentine
05-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I do question the newsworthiness of this. Just like the top story of yesterday's 6:00 news that involved a girl being bullied at school but according to the parents nothing was being done about it.

Is Jolly-Rancher girl a repeat offender? Is she the one that didn't take to the less strict penalties?

So many questions that don't matter with answers I don't really care about. :blah:

Ben
05-07-2010, 08:02 AM
I might be slightly understanding if the girl was eating the candy during class, but it says she was at lunch.
It isn't like she covered her hands in peanut butter and started rubbing them on the allergic kidIn my elementary school, candy was banned period. Lunch or not. Seems fine.

dasNdanger
05-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Really, it's time for the schools (and governments) to get out of a child's lunchbox. Soon we're gonna be arresting adults for possessing salt and cooking fat, let alone punishing kids for having a legal, parent-approved, piece of hard candy. What next? Banning cough drops?

I'm soooo glad I don't have kids.

das

Drkemerld73
05-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Fucking stupid.

Since when did detention get such headlines, though? I got 3 days for missing a fucking Chorus concert in sixth grade. I'm sure the loss of my vocal talents GREATLY impacted the sound of the 30 some odd other pre-pubescents singing "Black Bird," but that shit never made the paper.

Right or wrong, everyone likes to play the victim and their children as victims while getting attention by the media these days, possibly with a book or movie deal in the works about how they're children's rights were infrigned upon especially when the schools take charge of the kids they're responsible for while they're in their buildings by enforcing the rules?

:)

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Right or wrong, everyone likes to play the victim and their children as victims while getting attention by the media these days, possibly with a book or movie deal in the works about how they're children's rights were infrigned upon especially when the schools take charge of the kids they're responsible while they're in their buildings by enforcing the rules?

Take a breath, man! :lol:

jason hissong
05-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Elementary kids have detention?

bartleby
05-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Really, it's time for the schools (and governments) to get out of a child's lunchbox.

I'd argue that it's taken far too long for them to start getting involved.

Drkemerld73
05-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Take a breath, man! :lol:

I can't. If I do, I might choke on my Jolly Rancher. :)

Mister Mets
05-07-2010, 08:11 AM
That's not just ridiculous, that's Drill Kid.

Drill Kid would think it was messed up.

Ab4dd0n
05-07-2010, 08:13 AM

They gave me detention in 3rd grade once....once
I don't remember what I did, but I can guarantee it wasn't for having candy

A.Huerta
05-07-2010, 08:13 AM
They need to focus on educating the kids and forget about dumb things like this.

Drkemerld73
05-07-2010, 08:15 AM
They gave me detention in 3rd grade once....once
I don't remember what I did, but I can guarantee it wasn't for having candy

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4pmUNQE7llI/SFMyhhRkbFI/AAAAAAAACKk/pV0lwetPfho/s400/jd+028.jpg

Boris the Blade
05-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Maybe the rules have changed here in Filthy Canada, but when I was in school you could bring whatever fucking food you wanted for lunch.

A.Huerta
05-07-2010, 08:20 AM
I feel sorry for kids these days. Everything is going to be censored and regulated for them.

Ab4dd0n
05-07-2010, 08:26 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4pmUNQE7llI/SFMyhhRkbFI/AAAAAAAACKk/pV0lwetPfho/s400/jd+028.jpg

I knew someone would get it

Ben
05-07-2010, 08:29 AM
I feel sorry for kids these days. Everything is going to be censored and regulated for them.That's how it's always been.

Ben
05-07-2010, 08:30 AM
because it's a moronic reason to get a weeks worth of detention? And the moronic school needs to be publicly spanked over it?

Just guessing out loud hereSo we're going to start nitpicking every fucking detention now? ON THE NEWS?

Mylazycat
05-07-2010, 08:32 AM
They should taser kids on the spot who are seen with candy at school.

That'll teach 'em.

Zack_Hunter
05-07-2010, 08:35 AM
So let me get this right a school has given detention to a third grader? Over eating a jolly rancher at work?

A third grader?!

What the fuck is wrong with the school system in question?

Zack_Hunter
05-07-2010, 08:37 AM
So we're going to start nitpicking every fucking detention now? ON THE NEWS?

But this is an elementary school student, since when do you give kids this young detention? :no:

Ben
05-07-2010, 08:38 AM
What the fuck is wrong with giving a 3rd grader detention for eating candy if it's against the rules?!

This is in all caps, by the way. The board will probably change that, so you should all know!

Ben
05-07-2010, 08:39 AM
But this is an elementary school student, since when do you give kids this young detention? :no:Are you fucking kidding me? Seriously. Are you?

Kids this young? Elementary schools give out detention. That isn't some kind of high school punishment.

bartleby
05-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Kid gets detention for breaking rules! Film at eleven.

HoldFastNow
05-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Kids can get detention any age, from the time they start school (kinder) to the time they graduate (or drop out). It's not like they gave some innocent kid hard labor for three hours after school - a kid who broke a rule that's been repeatedly broken has to sit at the lunch detention table for a week, a few feet away from their class. That's a common, everyday thing at elementary schools I've worked at.

As for candy, there's more to it then candy being bad for kids. Lots of jolly rancher type candies end up stuck to the floor and are a bitch for janitorial to have to clean up, plus they attract bugs when kids hide them places or lose them on the field. It seems perfectly reasonable to not allow candy of that type in school, just like how most schools don't allow gum and you'd get the same punishment for chewing gum in school (especially for a repeat offense).

They way I see it, if you have a kid in school and that kid breaks an established rule, should you tell your kid that they need to respect their teachers and respect the rules of their school and accept their punishment, get it over with and move on and don't break that rule again, or do you teach them that if you whine and complain enough you can get your way and get out of accepting responsibility?

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 09:15 AM
When I was in school, detention didn't happen until 6th grade.

mario
05-07-2010, 09:16 AM
What the fuck is wrong with giving a 3rd grader detention for eating candy if it's against the rules?!

This is in all caps, by the way. The board will probably change that, so you should all know!

so, you don't see the disproportionality of a whole week detention because the principal found a loophole (if the kid got the candy from the parents it would be okay. But no, a fellow student gave it to her!!!!)?

let me repeat that: a week's worth of detention for one candy bar.

Fuck yeah, that principal needs to be shamed in public.

Where I'm from you'd have to stab a teacher 5 times to warrant a weeks worth of detention.

Ben
05-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Where I'm from you'd have to stab a teacher 5 times to warrant a weeks worth of detention.I'm glad I didn't go to school there.

Ab4dd0n
05-07-2010, 09:19 AM
so, you don't see the disproportionality of a whole week detention because the principal found a loophole (if the kid got the candy from the parents it would be okay. But no, a fellow student gave it to her!!!!)?

let me repeat that: a week's worth of detention for one candy bar.

Fuck yeah, that principal needs to be shamed in public.

Where I'm from you'd have to stab a teacher 5 times to warrant a weeks worth of detention.

I understand school's having stupid rules, and I see this as being a stupid rule, but the punishment is a bit much. The article said it had happened in the past, but didn't specifically say the girl was the repeat offender. Either way a full week is just overkill

mario
05-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Kids can get detention any age, from the time they start school (kinder) to the time they graduate (or drop out). It's not like they gave some innocent kid hard labor for three hours after school - a kid who broke a rule that's been repeatedly broken has to sit at the lunch detention table for a week, a few feet away from their class. That's a common, everyday thing at elementary schools I've worked at.

As for candy, there's more to it then candy being bad for kids. Lots of jolly rancher type candies end up stuck to the floor and are a bitch for janitorial to have to clean up, plus they attract bugs when kids hide them places or lose them on the field. It seems perfectly reasonable to not allow candy of that type in school, just like how most schools don't allow gum and you'd get the same punishment for chewing gum in school (especially for a repeat offense).

They way I see it, if you have a kid in school and that kid breaks an established rule, should you tell your kid that they need to respect their teachers and respect the rules of their school and accept their punishment, get it over with and move on and don't break that rule again, or do you teach them that if you whine and complain enough you can get your way and get out of accepting responsibility?

Please, gimme a break.
a week's detention for possession of one candy bar.

Also, the kid didn't break any rule if she got the candy bar from her parents

dasNdanger
05-07-2010, 09:28 AM
I'd argue that it's taken far too long for them to start getting involved.

Yes, and no.

What the school itself provides for a child is one thing - but what a parent gives their child is another...as long as they are not giving the kid poison, or rotten food, or drugs, or something extreme along those lines.

For instance, my parents struggled financially, and we often had pb&j for lunch. Today - because of allergies that someone may or may not have - peanut butter is virtually banned from schools. I would have starved if we had that rule back when I was a kid. What if your family is from a different culture, and they pack a lunch that doesn't look like a traditional American meal? Will curry be deemed too spicy? Will chicken feet be considered too grotesque? Will rice and beans be declared too 'starchy'? Somewhere along the line we have to trust the judgment of the majority of parents, and concentrate on the small percentage of parents that do not provide adequately for their kids. This is all getting so out of hand. We complain about communism, but that's virtually what's happening here - pretty soon there will be no personal choice - we will be told what to wear, what to eat, and what car to drive. Ugh. It just disturbs me.

das

bartleby
05-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Yes, and no.

What the school itself provides for a child is one thing - but what a parent gives their child is another...as long as they are not giving the kid poison, or rotten food, or drugs, or something extreme along those lines.

For instance, my parents struggled financially, and we often had pb&j for lunch. Today - because of allergies that someone may or may not have - peanut butter is virtually banned from schools. I would have starved if we had that rule back when I was a kid. What if your family is from a different culture, and they pack a lunch that doesn't look like a traditional American meal? Will curry be deemed too spicy? Will chicken feet be considered too grotesque? Will rice and beans be declared too 'starchy'? Somewhere along the line we have to trust the judgment of the majority of parents, and concentrate on the small percentage of parents that do not provide adequately for their kids. This is all getting so out of hand. We complain about communism, but that's virtually what's happening here - pretty soon there will be no personal choice - we will be told what to wear, what to eat, and what car to drive. Ugh. It just disturbs me.

That's a mighty slippery slope you're on there.

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 09:35 AM
The article said it had happened in the past, but didn't specifically say the girl was the repeat offender. Either way a full week is just overkill

"You know what you did, slut! Don't act like we haven't been over this before! You just can't keep them out of your mouth, can you?"

CougarTrace
05-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Please, gimme a break.
a week's detention for possession of one candy bar.

Also, the kid didn't break any rule if she got the candy bar from her parents

it wasn't even a candy bar. It was a little piece of hard candy.

Now, I need to go read more details, but if the parents gave the child the candy in a lunchbox then the school is violating state laws for the punishment.

If the kid got that candy from another student, then student that gave her the candy should be punished under the districts interpretation.

Any way it goes, its ridiculous to give detention for a week for a jolly rancher.

The school districts need to remember who they work for: the parents and tax payers in that district

Zack_Hunter
05-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Are you fucking kidding me? Seriously. Are you?

Kids this young? Elementary schools give out detention. That isn't some kind of high school punishment.

all i'm saying is that a weeks worth of detention for just one little jolly rancher is beyond stupid and unnecessary.

bartleby
05-07-2010, 09:42 AM
The school districts need to remember who they work for: the parents and tax payers in that district

:|

bartleby
05-07-2010, 09:43 AM
all i'm saying is that a weeks worth of detention for just one little jolly rancher is beyond stupid and unnecessary.

Is it just one little Jolly Rancher though? Or was it for a pattern of failure to follow school rules?

dasNdanger
05-07-2010, 09:47 AM
That's a mighty slippery slope you're on there.

Yeah, I know. But isn't that what happens with extreme stances on things? One extreme leads to another. One piece of hard candy is not 'junk food' to most people - in fact, to a diabetic it can be a life saver...no pun intended. When people - especially those in authority - are allowed to go to such extremes unchallenged, it will only lead to problems...and more extreme reactions.

das

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Is it just one little Jolly Rancher though? Or was it for a pattern of failure to follow school rules?

I find this post unintentionally hysterical.

Ben Weldon
05-07-2010, 09:51 AM
A week's detention was the same punishment we got at my school for getting caught with chewing gum. As a punishment it doesn't seem that excessive.

CougarTrace
05-07-2010, 09:56 AM
A week's detention was the same punishment we got at my school for getting caught with chewing gum. As a punishment it doesn't seem that excessive.

except in this case, supposedly, according to school, another child gave her the candy. Now, the rule in Texas is that you can't share food with another child.

So, who should have gotten the punishment?

Fourthman
05-07-2010, 09:58 AM
except in this case, supposedly, according to school, another child gave her the candy. Now, the rule in Texas is that you can't share food with another child.

Well, she probably didn't give the sharer up, so it's on her.

bartleby
05-07-2010, 10:00 AM

Both of them?

I'm assuming that if only one was punished with detention, it was likely because she was a repeat offender.

HoldFastNow
05-07-2010, 10:07 AM

I agree with both of these posts.

Lunch/recess detention is such a minor thing anyway. There will probably be at least a dozen kids in lunch detention today at my school for breaking comparable rules and more whose teachers hold students in the class for recess detention.

CougarTrace
05-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Both of them?

I'm assuming that if only one was punished with detention, it was likely because she was a repeat offender.

well the rule the state has that you can't share the candy. The rule breaker is the one who shared the candy. But, like I said thats at the schools discretion.

So, detention for a week and taking away the only 10-15 minutes of exercise they allow them during the day is ridiculous.

Schroedingers Cat
05-07-2010, 10:11 AM
When I was in Elementary School, I got slapped on the back of the thigh with a metal ruler for getting a drink of water at the water fountain at lunch time.

Another time, I got Karate-Chopped on the back of the neck for running in the playground at lunchtime.

The Nuns were pretty harsh and if we complained to our Parents, we got no sympathy at all. None of this 'call the newspapers' bullshit.

Jim

Fourthman
05-07-2010, 10:12 AM
well the rule the state has that you can't share the candy. The rule breaker is the one who shared the candy. But, like I said thats at the schools discretion.

So, detention for a week and taking away the only 10-15 minutes of exercise they allow them during the day is ridiculous.

Sharing is not a single person concept.

schizorabbit
05-07-2010, 10:13 AM

Good question. They should've just made her stand in the corner or sit on a stool with a dunce cap on her head.

CougarTrace
05-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Sharing is not a single person concept.

it is as far as punishment goes in that school

HoldFastNow
05-07-2010, 10:18 AM

The girl who accepted the candy knows the rules and should know better. It wasn't forced upon her, she said "yes" and ate it.

Fourthman
05-07-2010, 10:22 AM

You don't know that. As I posted before, the person who initially had the candy either wasn't caught and/or didn't make the news.

bartleby
05-07-2010, 10:22 AM

Do you know that the other girl wasn't punished? Or are you just assuming that based on her parents not going out and whining to the local news station about it?

Fourthman
05-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Do you know that the other girl wasn't punished? Or are you just assuming that based on her parents not going out and whining to the local news station about it?

Heh.

schizorabbit
05-07-2010, 10:34 AM
When I was in Elementary School, I got slapped on the back of the thigh with a metal ruler for getting a drink of water at the water fountain at lunch time.

Another time, I got Karate-Chopped on the back of the neck for running in the playground at lunchtime.

The Nuns were pretty harsh and if we complained to our Parents, we got no sympathy at all. None of this 'call the newspapers' bullshit.

Jim

Wow, sounds like you went to a Kung Fu Catholic School. Color me jealous!!!

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 10:35 AM

You, sir, have been slacking on the awesome stories on here, lately.

Thudpucker
05-07-2010, 10:42 AM
There is nothing cruel or unusual about this. Not sure why this is newsworthy.

RebootedCorpse
05-07-2010, 11:28 AM
There is nothing cruel or unusual about this. Not sure why this is newsworthy.

It generated 9 pages of comments here so far.

mario
05-07-2010, 11:34 AM

Jim

you went to Karate Nun school?

cool!!

schizorabbit
05-07-2010, 11:35 AM
You, sir, have been slacking on the awesome stories on here, lately.

I been busy, yo, working my ass off for--as a Southern deputy told me yesterday in his thick country accent--for the dark side.

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 11:38 AM
I been busy, yo, working my ass off for--as a Southern deputy told me yesterday in his thick country accent--for the dark side.

Well, get on it. I miss 'em!

Mylazycat
05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
As I said, taser the little kindergarden and elementary school shits everytime you see a rule broken and you'll get order restored pretty quickly. It's the only solution.

valentine
05-07-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm starting to think this girl was set up. Should have asked the girl giving her candy if she was working for the po-po first.

schizorabbit
05-07-2010, 11:51 AM
No one loves stories of Texas morons more than I, but, really, there has to be more to this story.

Maybe she pulled it out of her butt. In front of everybody.

"Hey, you want to see a magic trick?"

Jacques Toochay
05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Well, she probably didn't give the sharer up, so it's on her.
Damn straight.

She's clearly a proper soldier. She'll do her time because she knows that snitches get stitches.

:-x

dasNdanger
05-07-2010, 12:05 PM

Jim

you went to Karate Nun school?

cool!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/dasNdanger/nunkungfu.jpg

das

capntightpants
05-07-2010, 01:06 PM
They should taser kids on the spot who are seen with candy at school.

That'll teach 'em.

As I said, taser the little kindergarden and elementary school shits everytime you see a rule broken and you'll get order restored pretty quickly. It's the only solution.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l1wvslLvdE1qzpwi0o1_r1_500.jpg

Mylazycat
05-07-2010, 01:10 PM

:rofl:

Close thread. We have a winner.

dasNdanger
05-07-2010, 01:12 PM

:lol: :rofl: :lol:

We do, indeed, have a winner!

das

Jonathan Callan
05-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Why the hell is this news? Seriously. Some kid got detention for having candy? That must happen hundreds of times a day. What kind of wackjob parents go to the press over something like this? I once got recess detention for talking, but I was just asking about the reading we were doing! I should've called the newspapers!

I was just thinking this. I can think of half a dozen draconian actions my school took during my time there that would have made them look awful in an article like this. (My favorite being a friend who ran a website outside of school which had audio recordings of another student. He was suspended and ordered to take the website down.)

But unless it speaks to a larger problem, it's really not news is it?

gaspar
05-08-2010, 09:36 AM
This was my elementary school. Literally. I attended that school in Orchard, TX :lol:

(PS - I never had candy taken from me. Also didn't ever get suspended for possession of candy. This was the free wheelin' 80s though!)

mike black
05-08-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure if the Nanny State complaint can be used to criticize things the caretakers of children do.

I think you missed where I was going with that joke.