PDA

View Full Version : Toby Jones to play evil scientist in 'Captain America'

BENDIS!
05-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Toby Jones to play evil scientist in 'Captain America' (exclusive)

Toby Jones, the British actor best known for playing real-life characters such as Truman Capote in “Infamous,” will play in his first comic book movie with Marvel Studios’ “Captain America.”
Jones is in final negotiations to portray a villainous scientist named Arnim Zola in the production, which already has Hugo Weaving as another bad guy, the Red Skull. The movie shoots this summer in England.
In comics lore, Zola was a genetic engineer who created clones and various monstrosities for Hitler. He also captured his own mental self, inserting it into a robot, and survived the war.
Joe Johnston is directing the World War II-set movie, which sees Chris Evans as the famed superhero. Sebastian Stan is playing sidekick Bucky Barnes, while Hayley Atwell is the hero’s love interest, Peggy Carter.
Jones also is known Stateside for playing Swifty Lazar in “Frost/Nixon” and Karl Rove in Oliver Stone’s “W.” He also does voice work for the “Harry Potter” movies, playing Dobby the House Elf, and will soon shoot "The Rite" with Anthony Hopkins.
Jones, repped by UTA, will next be seen in Universal's comedy "Your Highness" with James Franco and Natalie Portman.

Ryan Elliott
05-06-2010, 08:02 PM
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/061010/125738__toby_l.jpg

Works for me.

Spidey616
05-06-2010, 08:08 PM
He was also the voice of Dobby the elf in Harry Potter 2

Ryan Elliott
05-06-2010, 08:10 PM
This movie is looking better and better every single day.

Mattman
05-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Perfect. I wonder how the part is going to be.

Ryan Elliott
05-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Perfect. I wonder how the part is going to be.

We probably won't see Robot Zola, except maybe for blank drones in the background or something.

Hell, he might even die, and his death could trigger on his AI in one of the robots.

Joe Kalicki
05-06-2010, 08:19 PM
I still can't believe Chris Evans is playing Captain America. What a misfire.

Supreme Convoy
05-06-2010, 08:49 PM
I love that guy in The Mist!

Dr. Chaos
05-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Yeah, okay, that works.

Hopefully thats it though. Really wanted Cap and Red Skull to be the only strong superhero elements and keep the invaders (and Bucky in costume rather than military gear) and other fantastical riffraff out.

Hopefully Faustus is on flunky duty with robo Zola in the sequel to complete the unholy trinity.

Dr. Chaos
05-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Holy shit!

You're right. Thats Ollie. :D

Stole the show from Thomas Jane...suddenly, this casting got alot more awesome.

A.Huerta
05-06-2010, 08:55 PM
I still can't believe Chris Evans is playing Captain America. What a misfire.

He was great and really funny in The Losers but yeah... he's not Cap. Ah well, better than the other choices that were being considered.

Joe Kalicki
05-06-2010, 08:59 PM
He was great and really funny in The Losers but yeah... he's not Cap. Ah well, better than the other choices that were being considered.

I should point out, if he shows something I don't think he's capable of and is great in this I will be ecstatic. Cap is my favorite Marvel character by a wide margin. I could just see a smart ass RDJ-as-Tony-Stark portrayal and it makes me cringe.

DAVE
05-06-2010, 09:43 PM
We probably won't see Robot Zola, except maybe for blank drones in the background or something.

Hell, he might even die, and his death could trigger on his AI in one of the robots.

Or he might be a reindeer that Red Skull rides around on! Or he'll probably possibly rap at some point. He may even probably have a penchant for origami, who knows!?

Ryan Elliott
05-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Or he might be a reindeer that Red Skull rides around on! Or he'll probably possibly rap at some point. He may even probably have a penchant for origami, who knows!?

Yep. Kinda what I'm saying.

Throwing ideas out there about what could happen.

Thanks for the stupid snark though.

DAVE
05-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Yep. Kinda what I'm saying.

Throwing ideas out there about what could happen.

Thanks for the stupid snark though.

Thanks for your stupid musing in the first place!

Ryan Elliott
05-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks for your stupid musing in the first place!

No problem.

Ahmed
05-06-2010, 10:17 PM
He looks more like a M.o.do.k.

NeverWanderer
05-06-2010, 10:33 PM

Holy shit!

You're right. Thats Ollie. :D

Stole the show from Thomas Jane...suddenly, this casting got alot more awesome.

:rock:

RoloTomassi
05-07-2010, 03:06 AM
This flick's looking to be some sublime old school pulpy goodness. Hope it lives up to it's promise.