PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Marvel Hate NYU

Parker1600
05-06-2010, 06:59 PM
As a former NYU (New York University) student I am upset. In Spider-man ESU(Empire State University) is Columbia University, but it is where NYU is.
That is wrong and Marvel should be ashamed that they favor Ivy league schools
over others.

Empire State University (also known as ESU) is a fictional university in the Marvel Comics Universe, modeled after Columbia University.[1] It is located somewhere in New York City, likely in Greenwich Village near the site of New York University.[2] Many Marvel Comics characters, especially those associated with Spider-Man, have either attended or worked at the university. It first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #31

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_State_University

Jason California
05-06-2010, 07:01 PM
you are a funny guy.

LilPoe
05-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Didn't Gravity go to NYU?

majorjoe23
05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Why Does Marvel hate Iowa? We got Force Works in the 50 State Initiative. Fucking Force Works!

Ray G.
05-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Schmitty!

SpiderPrime
05-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Forceworks beats what they did for us in RI, with the hellicarrier almost crashing and all. But at least they drew Providence accurately.

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Probably for the same reason everyone in New York City hates NYU.

ernster
05-06-2010, 08:23 PM
did you see the heroes sent to texas for the initiative during civil war? does mark millar think that we all wear cowboy hats and shoot armadillos with shotguns pulled off our truck gun racks? mark millar hates texas.

i am mock offended.

DAVE
05-06-2010, 09:45 PM
You copypasted that from somewhere else, right? You never went to NYU.

Nick Spencer
05-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I gotta admit, this bugs the shit out of me.

DAVE
05-06-2010, 10:00 PM
First of all: hilarious!

I gotta admit, this bugs the shit out of me.

Second of all: Why?

Joe Kalicki
05-06-2010, 10:03 PM
I think Illinois got the Spaceknights. Without even ROM.

Nick Spencer
05-06-2010, 10:04 PM
First of all: hilarious!

Second of all: Why?

For exactly the reason he mentions: it's supposed to be Columbia, but it's where NYU is! I can barely stand the name change, but the confused location annoys me. Why didn't they just have him go to school uptown?

Yes, I know it's dumb, but I like my Marvel cities real and my DC cities fictional. Just a completely silly fanboy thing.

Nick Spencer
05-06-2010, 10:04 PM

But this is great. :lol:

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
05-06-2010, 10:13 PM
For exactly the reason he mentions: it's supposed to be Columbia, but it's where NYU is! I can barely stand the name change, but the confused location annoys me. Why didn't they just have him go to school uptown?

Yes, I know it's dumb, but I like my Marvel cities real and my DC cities fictional. Just a completely silly fanboy thing.

Well then you should be thankful that I'll never be able to write Supergirl.

DAVE
05-06-2010, 10:15 PM

Yeah but come on, Marvel New York can't be exactly like real NYC is. Think about it, there's Yancy St instead of Delancy street, Pier 4 somewhere (w 4th st maybe?) and Avengers Mansion right around where the Apple Store should be on Fifth Ave (or The Plaza), there's Dr. Strange's crazyass big mansion somewhere in the Village (what is his propert value?) and the Imagine thing in Central Park got destroyed by Onslaught! (Also, the Beyonder summoned the Marvel Heroes in the Sheep Meadow in Central Park- squishing hundreds of yuppies if that shit happened on a summer weekend day).
I should give a tour!
I'm just saying, there's bound to be differences. And for Stan, he got the different college look that Columbia has with their campus, and the hip downtownness of NYU.

Nick Spencer
05-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Well then you should be thankful that I'll never be able to write Supergirl.

Yeah, this is the one I'm way worse about. I hate real-world cities in DC books.

DAVE
05-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Yeah, this is the one I'm way worse about. I hate real-world cities in DC books.

Oh, I'm with you there, fo 'sho.

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Peter Parker went to "Midtown High".

In Queens.

Where the fuck is there a "Midtown" in Queens?

DAVE
05-06-2010, 10:23 PM

In Queens.

Oh yeah, that's my personal favorite. I also imagine that the mall that Bendis has all those white kids go to in Ultimate Spider-man is Queens Plaza.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
05-06-2010, 10:24 PM

Damnit Nick, if Kara wants to leave Metropolis for the Windy City to follow her dreams and get her bachelor's in ceramics from Loyola, who are you to crush those dreams? Huh, Nick? WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Oh yeah, that's my personal favorite. I also imagine that the mall that Bendis has all those white kids go to in Ultimate Spider-man is Queens Plaza.

Queens Plaza is the train station, Queens Center is the mall.

It's also a really, really sad place.

DAVE
05-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Queens Plaza is the train station, Queens Center is the mall.

It's also a really, really sad place.

Huh, I've been calling it Queens Plaza Mall forever. But yeah, I agree. I bought a bookcase at the Target there once. It was bleak.

Joe Kalicki
05-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Huh, I've been calling it Queens Plaza Mall forever. But yeah, I agree. I bought a bookcase at the Target there once. It was bleak.

Why does CAPTAIN AMERICA DAVE hate the Queens Center Mall?

DAVE
05-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Why does CAPTAIN AMERICA DAVE hate the Queens Center Mall?

I had to get the bookcase to the parking garage (which was on another floor) myself with no cart or anything!

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 10:32 PM

The Target is technically a different Mall. Though, I don't find it as bleak as the Target at the Atlantic Center in Brooklyn. Actually, it's not really bleak, it's just a fucking madhouse. I went there to buy sheets once, and I bought the only set of sheets they had in the entire place.

DAVE
05-06-2010, 10:34 PM
The Target is technically a different Mall. Though, I don't find it as bleak as the Target at the Atlantic Center in Brooklyn. Actually, it's not really bleak, it's just a fucking madhouse. I went there to buy sheets once, and I bought the only set of sheets they had in the entire place.

Jesus, you're like an expert on the shitty malls of the Five Boroughs.

Nick Spencer
05-06-2010, 10:34 PM

yeah, there's nothing bleak about Atlantic Center! It's only convenient! B-Dubs!

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Jesus, you're like an expert on the shitty malls of the Five Boroughs.

I blame my parents.

Though the Sears/Old Navy/Circuit City on the other side of Queens Blvd is the bleakest of them all.

DAVE
05-06-2010, 10:36 PM
It would be cool if Marvel had an NYU analog, though. Like Village College or something. I bet Daredevil beats up weed dealers in the park across the street from it.

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 10:36 PM
yeah, there's nothing bleak about Atlantic Center! It's only convenient! B-Dubs!

It's like the worst Target ever! It's a victim of it's success, though. It's the busiest Target in America, and it shows. Not that I don't like going there, but if I could, it's one of the few times ever I'd rather go to Queens than Brooklyn.

DAVE
05-06-2010, 10:38 PM
I blame my parents.

Though the Sears/Old Navy/Circuit City on the other side of Queens Blvd is the bleakest of them all.

All I remember about the Staten Island Mall was an Aero Postale and the stench of the dump and Jean Paul Gautier cologne.

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Can we just bring this back to the original topic? Everyone fucking hates NYU.

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 10:42 PM
All I remember about the Staten Island Mall was an Aero Postale and the stench of the dump and Jean Paul Gautier cologne.

I have three memories of the Staten Island Mall:

When I was 9, my Mom took me out there after visiting an Aunt. I bought a cassette copy of the soundtrack to the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, and I'm pretty sure it was the first time in my life I discovered the joy that is "Bourbon Chicken".

When I was a junior in high school, a friend of mine and I got a ride out there from his mom's boyfriend to meet J. Scott Campbell, who was on his "Danger Girl" tour. We sat outside the Babbages for an hour and half, met Campbell, and then ate in the food court.

And in college, my buddy worked weekends at a booth in the mall that sold wrestling memorabilia, and at night did commentary on local wrestling shows. We spent a whole day at the mall with him, from opening to closing, before going to the worst indie wrestling show I've ever seen.

Nick Spencer
05-06-2010, 10:44 PM
It's like the worst Target ever! It's a victim of it's success, though. It's the busiest Target in America, and it shows. Not that I don't like going there, but if I could, it's one of the few times ever I'd rather go to Queens than Brooklyn.

Astor Place K-Mart gets the job done far as I'm concerned.

See? We're back at NYU!

DAVE
05-06-2010, 10:46 PM
I have three memories of the Staten Island Mall:

When I was 9, my Mom took me out there after visiting an Aunt. I bought a cassette copy of the soundtrack to the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, and I'm pretty sure it was the first time in my life I discovered the joy that is "Bourbon Chicken".

When I was a junior in high school, a friend of mine and I got a ride out there from his mom's boyfriend to meet J. Scott Campbell, who was on his "Danger Girl" tour. We sat outside the Babbages for an hour and half, met Campbell, and then ate in the food court.

And in college, my buddy worked weekends at a booth in the mall that sold wrestling memorabilia, and at night did commentary on local wrestling shows. We spent a whole day at the mall with him, from opening to closing, before going to the worst indie wrestling show I've ever seen.
I'm just gonna name random malls at this point. Kings Plaza.

moonspider
05-06-2010, 10:48 PM
I blame my parents.

what circuit city....it's just sears, bed bath n' beyond and old navy now

and dont get me started on the zizzler that used to be right across the street

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm just gonna name random malls at this point. Kings Plaza.

I've never actually been there. Pretty fucking deep in Brooklyn. I grew up in North Brooklyn, hence my knowledge of Queens.

Though the greatest mall in NYC is the Fulton Street Mall. It's fucking desolate.

At least it was last time I went there, when I decided to go Toys R Us as a pick-me-up after seeing a nearby urologist.

It was a bleak day overall.

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 10:56 PM
what circuit city....it's just sears, bed bath n' beyond and old navy now

and dont get me started on the zizzler that used to be right across the street

Right. I forgot what replaced the Circuit City.

I bought my stove at the Sears. The parking lot has automated computer voices at the parking meter. Creepy.

DAVE
05-06-2010, 10:56 PM
I've never actually been there. Pretty fucking deep in Brooklyn. I grew up in North Brooklyn, hence my knowledge of Queens.

Though the greatest mall in NYC is the Fulton Street Mall. It's fucking desolate.

At least it was last time I went there, when I decided to go Toys R Us as a pick-me-up after seeing a nearby urologist.

It was a bleak day overall.

Hahaha, I figured Kings Plaza would be right in your wheelhouse. I went there years ago (like '99) and it was under heavy renovation construction. I've always been fond of Roosevelt Field.

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Hahaha, I figured Kings Plaza would be right in your wheelhouse. I went there years ago (like '99) and it was under heavy renovation construction. I've always been fond of Roosevelt Field.

Roosevelt Field was like a trip to Mecca in high school. Going there was a wonderful adventure. That's where I discovered Pacific Sunwear, which began my Hawaiian shirt binge in my senior year in high school.

I still go out there once a year with my Mom, the week before Thanksgiving, for a late night, charity shopping event that's ticketed. The place is near-deserted and I can get a whole bunch of X-Mas shopping done in one-fell swoop.

DAVE
05-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Roosevelt Field was like a trip to Mecca in high school. Going there was a wonderful adventure. That's where I discovered Pacific Sunwear, which began my Hawaiian shirt binge in my senior year in high school.

I still go out there once a year with my Mom, the week before Thanksgiving, for a late night, charity shopping event that's ticketed. The place is near-deserted and I can get a whole bunch of X-Mas shopping done in one-fell swoop.

I, too went on a Pacific Sunewar fueled Hawaiian shirt binge senior year in High School.

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Also really sad: the Manhattan Mall. I spent a whole afternoon there waiting to go meet Rob Liefeld across the street at Jim Hanley's during Extreme Tour '92. I was scared shitless of the glass elevator, and made my dad go up and down the escalators to the food court (which was then on the 7th floor).

It used to be huge, and the it slowly shrank. 7 floors to 4 floors, to now 2 floors and JC Penny. I do miss the food court. If I was walking through midtown and hungry, I stop by and do a lap around the food court and eat the samples.

DAVE
05-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Also really sad: the Manhattan Mall. I spent a whole afternoon there waiting to go meet Rob Liefeld across the street at Jim Hanley's during Extreme Tour '92. I was scared shitless of the glass elevator, and made my dad go up and down the escalators to the food court (which was then on the 7th floor).

It used to be huge, and the it slowly shrank. 7 floors to 4 floors, to now 2 floors and JC Penny. I do miss the food court. If I was walking through midtown and hungry, I stop by and do a lap around the food court and eat the samples.

I used to cut through there to get to Penn Station. It seems like every couple years they renovate it, but when it opens back up there's like half the stores closed.

bartleby
05-07-2010, 03:28 AM
You copypasted that from somewhere else, right? You never went to NYU.

Yeah, really. I could have sworn this Parker1600 guy was in high school. Maybe I was just hoping he was in high school.

Ben
05-07-2010, 04:01 AM
How come they never show Spider-Man peeing? Does he just hold it in all the time?

bartleby
05-07-2010, 04:13 AM
How come they never show Spider-Man peeing? Does he just hold it in all the time?

Marvel should create vinyl stickers for car windows of Spider-Man peeing on the NYU logo.

DaveCummings
05-07-2010, 04:27 AM
As a former NYU (New York University) student I am upset. In Spider-man ESU(Empire State University) is Columbia University, but it is where NYU is.
That is wrong and Marvel should be ashamed that they favor Ivy league schools
over others.

Empire State University (also known as ESU) is a fictional university in the Marvel Comics Universe, modeled after Columbia University.[1] It is located somewhere in New York City, likely in Greenwich Village near the site of New York University.[2] Many Marvel Comics characters, especially those associated with Spider-Man, have either attended or worked at the university. It first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #31

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_State_University

You're a funny guy. Everybody knows that there's no such thing as NYU.

Queen of the Ban Age
05-07-2010, 04:34 AM
If you're a former NYU student, why are your posts coming from columbia.edu?

Jonathan Callan
05-07-2010, 04:44 AM

Where does NYU keep the neogenics recombinator?

Jonathan Callan
05-07-2010, 04:46 AM

In Queens.

Peter Parker also majored in "science". Not chemistry. Not biology or physics. "Science".

Xander Boune
05-07-2010, 05:08 AM

I think they were trying to avoid the touchy reason of why Parker doesn't fight crime in Harlem.

The buildings aren't tall enough for him to websling across.

Jonny Z
05-07-2010, 05:16 AM
I think they were trying to avoid the touchy reason of why Parker doesn't fight crime in Harlem.

The buildings aren't tall enough for him to websling across.

:nonono2:

SidekicksRevenge
05-07-2010, 05:18 AM
The chronology probably doesn't match up, but I grew up assuming that ESU was created because otherwise there wasn't a school in the city for Flash to play football for.

Marc Lombardi
05-07-2010, 06:23 AM
Why no complaints about the single WTC tower in Ex Machina.

Is it because IT'S ALL MAKE BELIEVE?

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Balls!

moonspider
05-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Right. I forgot what replaced the Circuit City.

I bought my stove at the Sears. The parking lot has automated computer voices at the parking meter. Creepy.

skynet!

and I too am saddened by the fact that the manhattan mall was once an awesome mall...just to be turned into a flea market for JC penney.

the queens mall seems to be the only MALL worth calling a mall

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Why Does Marvel hate Iowa? We got Force Works in the 50 State Initiative. Fucking Force Works!

It's not even the real Force Works. That's pathetic.

HOOKS
05-07-2010, 07:51 AM
All these Noo Yorkahs talking about malls makes me want to start a thread about The Valley vs The Westside vs OC.

Parker1600
05-07-2010, 10:21 AM
If you're a former NYU student, why are your posts coming from columbia.edu?

I go to Columbia Law.