PDA

View Full Version : Music Or Lyrics?

adam_warlock_2099
05-06-2010, 06:55 PM
What initially attracts you to a song? If at first you don't like the music itself, do you bother to wait to hear what the lyrics are about? I also guess that the actually singing of the song could play a factor as well. I can't stand the sound of Janis Joplin's voice long enough to hear the lyrics. But aside for not liking the singer, or despite not liking the singer, do you endure to hear what the song is about, or do you give up?

The music itself is what perks my ears. I can endure a bad singer (it's how I got to like Bob Dylan), or not give two fucks what the song is about if the music is really good. I guess that also explains my love of Pink Floyd, Porishead, Sneaker Pimps, and song other here and there songs (Led Zepplin's Kashmir).

What about you?

silverboy
05-06-2010, 07:00 PM
The music/hook is always the first thing I notice, though there are times I'll just have something on in the background that isn't amazing musically and realize it has really profound lyrics.

And you're right, vocal deliver/execution plays a big part, as does general production techniques/quality.

Jason California
05-06-2010, 07:07 PM
music. I could not tell you most of the lyrics to a lot of my favorite songs.

Ryan Elliott
05-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Music.

Then the lyrics.

The Hodag
05-06-2010, 07:14 PM
music. I could not tell you most of the lyrics to a lot of my favorite songs.

Same here.

dmh3000
05-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Music hooks me in and the lyrics are usually the deciding factor on whether I like it or not. If something has good music but really bad lyrics, I tend to not like it, but if the music's good enough, I can ignore shitty lyrics. And if a song has good enough lyrics, I can ignore crap music.

Gangy
05-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Music. I only notice lyrics if they're terrible.

adam_warlock_2099
05-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Music hooks me in and the lyrics are usually the deciding factor on whether I like it or not. If something has good music but really bad lyrics, I tend to not like it, but if the music's good enough, I can ignore shitty lyrics. And if a song has good enough lyrics, I can ignore crap music.

See this makes me think of Rhinna's Rude Boy. I don't particularly like the music, and most of the time I heard it, I changed the radio station. But once I listened to the lyrics, they were hot, and her voice is sexy. So I guess, while I prefer music over lyrics, sometimes bad music can grow on me, or at least become tolerable because of good lyrics, and good delivery.

mike black
05-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Music.

I mean, I listen to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeG72pp1KcI&feature=related).

adam_warlock_2099
05-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Music.

I mean, I listen to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeG72pp1KcI&feature=related).

See that's my limit there Mike. Bands like, Pantera, Slipknot, Korn, Slayer, etc . . . the music is excellent but they just need to STFU! :D That's not singing to me, but the music is excellent. About the only happy medium I ever found was Rollins Band.

dmh3000
05-06-2010, 07:32 PM
See this makes me think of Rhinna's Rude Boy. I don't particularly like the music, and most of the time I heard it, I changed the radio station. But once I listened to the lyrics, they were hot, and her voice is sexy. So I guess, while I prefer music over lyrics, sometimes bad music can grow on me, or at least become tolerable because of good lyrics, and good delivery.

Yeah, I've noticed that. I'm starting to tolerate Lady Gaga much more now, even though it's being played over and over again in different stores and on the radio. Bad Romance isn't so bad once you listen to it. Is it the tale of a woman who wants to help a lover seek revenge? Or does she want him to love her so can hurt him?

michealdark
05-06-2010, 07:38 PM
I usually pay attention to lyrics as a lyricist myself, but if the hook can't grab me I won't wade through the song in hopes of being miraculously enlightened by the lyrics.

Masculine Todd
05-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Depends entirely on the song.

dasNdanger
05-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Mostly it's the music...or, should I say, the rhythm, since I listen to a lot of songs - like madrigals - that don't have music. I also listen to a lot of songs sung in different languages - so the lyrics really don't matter to me, just the 'lyrical' quality of the voice. I view the voice as another instrument, so I like a voice that does 'stuff' - changes, alters its pitch and power - it's the tone that matters, not the words. There are a few exceptions, however. With Neil Young the lyrics are just as important to me as the tune, for instance, but that's a rare exception.

das

adam_warlock_2099
05-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Mostly it's the music...or, should I say, the rhythm, since I listen to a lot of songs - like madrigals - that don't have music. I also listen to a lot of songs sung in different languages - so the lyrics really don't matter to me, just the 'lyrical' quality of the voice. I view the voice as another instrument, so I like a voice that does 'stuff' - changes, alters its pitch and power - it's the tone that matters, not the words. There are a few exceptions, however. With Neil Young the lyrics are just as important to me as the tune, for instance, but that's a rare exception.

das

I will agree with that to some extent. Macross Plus had an excellent soundtrack despite it being in Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkzjVX2GbBc

michealdark
05-06-2010, 07:53 PM
There are some bands where you can't seperate the lyrics from the music. Rage Against the Machine for example, the music is great on its own, but you can't have the total experience without Zach de la Rocha's lyrics

Jason California
05-06-2010, 07:54 PM
There are some bands where you can't seperate the lyrics from the music. Rage Against the Machine for example, the music is great on its own, but you can't have the total experience without Zach de la Rocha's lyrics

true enough.

Adam Witt
05-06-2010, 07:55 PM
I need both, really. I get worn out on artists whose vocals I just like or music I just like.

Unless it's spoken word or instrumental, I guess. This is getting too deep. :mistrust:

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Both.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/skeetzjackson/music-and-lyrics-by-poster-0.jpg

Seriously, I really like that movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGLXpIojJkg

Patch
05-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Let's see, on the thread about 10 fave songs before you were born

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry gives us

"Hear the lonesome whippoorwill
He sounds too blue to fly
The midnight train is whining low
I'm so lonesome I could cry."

Who Do You Love says

"I walked 47 miles of barbed wire,
I use a cobra snake for a neck tie
I got a brand new house on the roadside
made of rattlesnake hide.
Got a brand new chimney on top,
Made out of human skull,
Now come on take a walk with me, Arlene,
And tell me, who do you love?"

Spoonful tells us,

"Could fill spoons full of diamonds,
Could fill spoons full of gold,
Just a little spoon of your precious love
Will satisfy my soul."

Folsum Prison Blues,

"When I was just a baby my mama told me, son,
Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns
But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
When I hear that whistle blowing,
I hang my head and cry."

and Girl From the North Country,

"If you go when the snowflakes storm
When the rivers freeze and summer ends
Please, see for me, she's wearing a coat so warm
To keep her from the howlin' winds."

But Mystery Train, What'd I Say, At Last, Be My Baby, and Not Fade Away don't have a lot of lyrical strength on their own-- and they're fantastic just the same.

So, I guess I'd say it's 50/50.

xyzzy
05-06-2010, 08:20 PM
The tune is the first thing to hook me, but it's not going to stick with me unless it has good lyrics. Clever rhymes and rhyming schemes can certainly win me over. Those of you who ignore lyrics are really missing out.

dasNdanger
05-06-2010, 08:23 PM
I will agree with that to some extent. Macross Plus had an excellent soundtrack despite it being in Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkzjVX2GbBc

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I can enjoy world music (sometimes more than that sung in English) because since I don't understand the language, the voice becomes another instrument, and my mind can make the song about whatever I want it to be. A good example of this is a favorite song of mine by Idir (Berber from Algeria):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gvwMmJG3V8

I love the lilt and 'crack' of the Northern Africa/Middle Eastern style of singing. I also prefer the male voice over the female - female voices are just too high for my dog ears. :p

das

Stupendous Man
05-06-2010, 08:27 PM
The sound of the vocals is the most important determining factor in whether or not i like a song/ band/ artist. not the lyrics or even the quality of the vocals, but the tone/ sound of the vocals

GelfXIII
05-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Music by a mile. I appreciate a clever turn of phrase, but clearly my utter hatred of rap proves that a line of lyrics doesn't cut it. I've read some rap lyrics which are really cool, smart, poignant and all that, but without music it's just flat.

GelfXIII
05-06-2010, 08:32 PM
The sound of the vocals is the most important determining factor in whether or not i like a song/ band/ artist. not the lyrics or even the quality of the vocals, but the tone/ sound of the vocals

Which, I believe, qualifies as the "music" part of the question rather than the lyrics part.

Jef UK
05-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I hate lame lyrics. They can ruin a song for me.

Jef UK
05-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Music by a mile. I appreciate a clever turn of phrase, but clearly my utter hatred of rap proves that a line of lyrics doesn't cut it. I've read some rap lyrics which are really cool, smart, poignant and all that, but without music it's just flat.

There's plenty of music in rap. Do you mean the lyrics have to be sung in a melody?

How can anybody hate rap?? Everything is better with hip hop. Everything.

PhilipClark
05-06-2010, 09:14 PM
There's plenty of music in rap. Do you mean the lyrics have to be sung in a melody?

How can anybody hate rap?? Everything is better with hip hop. Everything.

There is bad rap. T.I. and 50 Cent certainly aren't Q-Tip or Guru.

And my vote: music, definitely. Especially if I'm listening to foreign music when I can't understand what's being said.

mike black
05-07-2010, 06:52 AM
See that's my limit there Mike. Bands like, Pantera, Slipknot, Korn, Slayer, etc . . . the music is excellent but they just need to STFU! :D That's not singing to me, but the music is excellent. About the only happy medium I ever found was Rollins Band.

Ugh. Don't lump Korn and Slipknt in with Slayer and Pantera. That wounds me.

I'm not saying "Hey, everyone should like this", I don't expect people to. There is artistic merit there, I'm just too tired to go in to it. I can't blame you if you don't like it - it's not for everyone.

Ben
05-07-2010, 07:08 AM
I hate lame lyrics. They can ruin a song for me.Same here. I think both have to be good for me to really like a song. Though I think I'd rather bad lyrics than bad music. It's a close call.

A good analogy is with comics -- writing vs. art.

adam_warlock_2099
05-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Ugh. Don't lump Korn and Slipknt in with Slayer and Pantera. That wounds me.

I'm not saying "Hey, everyone should like this", I don't expect people to. There is artistic merit there, I'm just too tired to go in to it. I can't blame you if you don't like it - it's not for everyone.

Sorry Mike. :Oops: I enjoy all those bands music but the style of singing is lost to me. I guess because it can overpower the music, and then the vocals seems to be the only thing I can hear. Maybe that's my reason.

Drkemerld73
05-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Music for male performers and bands.

Lyrics and vocals for female singers and bands.

mike black
05-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Music for male performers and bands.

Lyrics and vocals for female singers and bands.

Why the distinction?

mike black
05-07-2010, 07:26 AM
Sorry Mike. :Oops: I enjoy all those bands music but the style of singing is lost to me. I guess because it can overpower the music, and then the vocals seems to be the only thing I can hear. Maybe that's my reason.

It's one of those "You either get it or you don't" sort of thing.

No worries.

Drkemerld73
05-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Why the distinction?

It's just something I've noticed I do. I can't totally explain it.

Male singers and bands tend to have a driving beat or do something with the guitars that capture my interest. Vocals usually are secondary.

But with female singers and bands, I pay right attention if I'm attracted to their voice and listen to the lyrics and the emotion they are trying to convey, then end up listening to the rest of the song.

I guess I'll just chalk it up to being a guy who loves a good female voice and wants to hear what they have to say before the rest of it.

:)

dasNdanger
05-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Music.

I find that personal taste is such a delicate thing. My husband hates 95% of the music I like, and I swear I'll kill him if he comes home with a Lady Gaga CD. :lol: Still, we agree on a few things, and leave it at that.

For instance, far as that song in your link goes, Mike, while I like the music, I'm not a fan of the vocals. I prefer something a bit more...versatile, perhaps? Rammstein comes to mind, as does Korn (my apologies to both of you!). Right now, I think Korn is about my favorite band of its type...though not really sure what that type is. (I'm never really sure about anything. ) What I like about Jonathan Davis voice is that he has a wide range of styles...he can do soft, creepy, guttural, traditional, angry...whatever...just about anything to fit the song, and so therefore my ear interprets it more like an instrument than a vocal. Hell, if I really listened to the words, I'd probably blush...or vomit. :p

das

Jef UK
05-07-2010, 09:20 AM
There is bad rap.

Well, this is the first I'm hearing about this. Is this the case with other musical genres too??

PhilipClark
05-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Well, this is the first I'm hearing about this. Is this the case with other musical genres too??

Brat :-P

TheFalcon
05-07-2010, 09:43 AM

I put the music itself first, but the vocals are almost as important. It has to sound "right" and fit with the music type. Though, if the music is good I'll try a few songs too see if I can warm to the vocal. The lyrics doesn't matter that much usually, but I start to listen more closely to it the more I hear the songs. If I notice something bad with it I'll stop listening to a particular song.

HoldFastNow
05-07-2010, 10:10 AM
I'd say for the most part it's the music, but a band that has reallllly bad lyrics can turn me off to them.

mike black
05-07-2010, 05:42 PM
It's just something I've noticed I do. I can't totally explain it.

Male singers and bands tend to have a driving beat or do something with the guitars that capture my interest. Vocals usually are secondary.

But with female singers and bands, I pay right attention if I'm attracted to their voice and listen to the lyrics and the emotion they are trying to convey, then end up listening to the rest of the song.

I guess I'll just chalk it up to being a guy who loves a good female voice and wants to hear what they have to say before the rest of it.

So, what do you think of this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMGpcjzb67Q&feature=fvsr

Howlett
05-07-2010, 05:46 PM
It tends to be the music for me. There are some exceptions, but overall I tend to focus on the music first and in some cases, don't even notice the lyrics.

Mark Knopfler is my favourite performer and he can't really sing that well as far as I'm concerned. But the music he plays is incredible.

mike black
05-07-2010, 05:48 PM
For instance, far as that song in your link goes, Mike, while I like the music, I'm not a fan of the vocals. I prefer something a bit more...versatile, perhaps?

I can guess you didn't listen to the whole thing?

greg donovan
05-07-2010, 05:52 PM
music makes me like the song but lyrics make me fall in love with it.

dasNdanger
05-07-2010, 06:06 PM
I can guess you didn't listen to the whole thing?

:Oops:

Only went about halfway. :p

das

mike black
05-07-2010, 06:50 PM
:Oops:

Only went about halfway. :p

das

Actually, I thought I had posted a different track. :surrend:

entzauberung
05-07-2010, 06:54 PM
So, what do you think of this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMGpcjzb67Q&feature=fvsr

Or a whole band of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CZE3XtpuTA&feature=related

EmarAndZeb
05-07-2010, 07:04 PM
I consider Flipper's "Sex Bomb" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WD2pUTO9uU) to be one of the pinnacles of the rock and roll medium, so, uh... music.

mike black
05-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Or a whole band of them.

Before I clicked the link I thought "Gallhammer".

:heart:

(If I were in a band, it would most likely sound like Gallhammer.)

entzauberung
05-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Before I clicked the link I thought "Gallhammer".

:heart:

(If I were in a band, it would most likely sound like Gallhammer.)

The Maniac-Vivian Slaughter marriage is something that feels made up, but apparently it's true.

mike black
05-07-2010, 07:42 PM
The Maniac-Vivian Slaughter marriage is something that feels made up, but apparently it's true.

Yeah, part of me thinks that Maniac's a fucking racist, but who knows.

entzauberung
05-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Yeah, part of me thinks that Maniac's a fucking racist, but who knows.

Has Maniac said anything racist? (He propbably has, I just don't remember anything...)

mike black
05-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Has Maniac said anything racist? (He propbably has, I just don't remember anything...)

Not that I know of, but given the proclivities of the other guys in that scene it wouldn't surprise me.

Drkemerld73
05-07-2010, 08:27 PM

Yeah... That doesn't do anything for me.

Sorry.

Hate_Prime
05-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Or a whole band of them.

Well...

That's one way to lose an erection.

Mark Waugh
04-19-2011, 04:31 AM
Music.

A great music video buddy..!!
I really enjoyed listening and watching it and hoping to get some more from you very soon...!!

HeroBoy
04-19-2011, 04:54 AM
Both.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/skeetzjackson/music-and-lyrics-by-poster-0.jpg

Seriously, I really like that movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGLXpIojJkg

I hate that movie because it killed my buddy cop movie about Lt. Tandora Music and rookie officer Rigs Lyrics who are partnered up to stop an evil founding member of Napster. No one will even read the script.

Johnson
07-12-2011, 05:20 AM
I hate that movie because it killed my buddy cop movie about Lt. Tandora Music and rookie officer Rigs Lyrics who are partnered up to stop an evil founding member of Napster. No one will even read the script.

I haven't watched this movie so can't give my reviews about it..!!
But I'll try to see it this coming weekend...!!

Vettori
09-14-2011, 10:51 PM
It is really a great video dude but I have seen it many times before..!!
Anyways thanks for the share..!!

Bedlam66
09-15-2011, 02:24 AM
I'd say for the most part it's the music, but a band that has reallllly bad lyrics can turn me off to them.

This

Karate and Friendship
09-15-2011, 03:31 AM
The hook or the riff attracts my attention, but I stay for the lyrics. Until I know them too well, then it's the music again.