PDA

View Full Version : Dumbass jailed for offensive T-shirt, plans to sue judge

BGPu
05-06-2010, 10:23 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/northnorthwest/ct-talk-t-shirt-blues-0506-20100506,0,813832.story

Jennifer LaPenta admits that if she'd known her T- shirt would land her in jail for two days, she probably wouldn't have bought it. And she definitely wouldn't have worn it to court.

LaPenta, 20, was jailed this week by Lake County Associate Judge Helen Rozenberg who held her in contempt for wearing the T-shirt in her courtroom. It was emblazoned with the words: "I have the (slang for female body part) so I make the rules."

"The judge asked me if I thought the shirt was appropriate for the courtroom," LaPenta said. "I said I didn't think it was offensive but said I wouldn't have worn it if I was the defendant."

LaPenta, of Round Lake, said she offered to take the shirt off but that Rozenberg told her it was too late and was having her jailed for 48 hours for contempt of court.

"She just threw me in jail," LaPenta said. "I've never been arrested in my life. It was very embarrassing."

LaPenta said she wore the shirt to the gym for a workout and was asked by a friend to drive her to the courthouse in Waukegan so the friend could settle some minor traffic tickets. It wasn't long after she sat down that Rozenberg summoned her to the front of the courtroom and asked about the slogan.

When LaPenta was released from jail Tuesday, she called Park Ridge attorney Peter Kalagis, who said he hopes to discuss the issue with the Lake County Presiding Chief Judge Victoria Rossetti. Neither Rozenberg nor Rossetti could be reached Wednesday.

"I didn't mean to offend anybody," LaPenta said.

Seriously? What a fucking idiot.

Marc Lombardi
05-06-2010, 10:25 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/northnorthwest/ct-talk-t-shirt-blues-0506-20100506,0,813832.story

Seriously? What a fucking idiot.

Freedom of Speech. The judge should have had her removed from the courtroom, but not arrested.

Also, she IS an idiot. Owning that shirt alone is pretty stupid. Wearing it in public is moreso.

Mister Mets
05-06-2010, 10:26 AM
I just wish to note the gender milestone here, with the use of "Dumbass" as a gender-neutral term.

She's stupid, but that did not merit two days in prison.

Matt Jay
05-06-2010, 10:26 AM
This is pretty harsh. She wasn't even a party.

Ryan F
05-06-2010, 10:34 AM

Yeah, just eject her from the courtroom. Jesus.

Ray G.
05-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Disgusting.

Judges should have no right to imprison people for something like this if they're not a party to the case.

I hope she takes the place for everything they're worth.

Unicornucopia
05-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Kindly booting her ass out of the room is the appropriate response. Tossing her in jail is not.

Matt Jay
05-06-2010, 10:40 AM
This makes me really self-conscious. I sit in on trials all the time wearing normal clothes. None of my clothes have words regarding the Vag, but if the judges actually care what the public is wearing it probably reflects poorly on me to not be in a suit.

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Is everybody in the world turning completely fucking stupid?

Rod Nunley
05-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Agreed that it was in poor taste to wear to a courtroom. At most she should have been asked to leave the courtroom or change shirts. Jailing her for it was a gross misuse of power and I imagine that she might have a lawsuit on her hands.

Ryan F
05-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Kindly booting her ass out of the room is the appropriate response. Tossing her in jail is not.

You can even berate and verbally embarrass her as you're tossing her. I'm cool with that.

But, jail???

Marcdachamp
05-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Is everybody in the world turning completely fucking stupid?

Dude, I hear ya. I was just at a furry convention, and I'm doing this squirrel and he or she, or whatever it was asked me if I wanted to do some heroin after. People are so fucked up! No way would I take heroin from someone I just met!

Doug
05-06-2010, 10:50 AM
If her story is true that she just wore the shirt to the gym and a friend roped her into driving to court to pay off some fines then the judge severely overreacted.

If she had worn the shirt as a defendant or a jury member I can understand the judge getting pissed, but as a spectator is unbelievable.

dEnny!
05-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Freedom of Speech. The judge should have had her removed from the courtroom, but not arrested.

Also, she IS an idiot. Owning that shirt alone is pretty stupid. Wearing it in public is moreso.

Does this really fall under "Freedom of Speech?"

Marc Lombardi
05-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Does this really fall under "Freedom of Speech?"

It does. No different that a protester holding up a sign.

The Hodag
05-06-2010, 10:56 AM
http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens2185957module11663020photo_1222116001fre d-gwynne-my-cousin-vinny.jpg

Unicornucopia
05-06-2010, 11:01 AM
You can even berate and verbally embarrass her as you're tossing her. I'm cool with that.

But, jail???

It's an absurd shirt to wear, but it gives you more insight into her personality than an evening dinner conversation would. I appreciate when people wear things that let me know, pretty much instantly, what they're about.

Unicornucopia
05-06-2010, 11:03 AM
If her story is true that she just wore the shirt to the gym and a friend roped her into driving to court to pay off some fines then the judge severely overreacted.

If she had worn the shirt as a defendant or a jury member I can understand the judge getting pissed, but as a spectator is unbelievable.

Even if she were the defendant there's really no good reason to put her in jail for it. If anything it just gives the judge more to go on when considering the person's personality.

This judge just got their pussy in a twist and decided to misuse their power.

NickT
05-06-2010, 11:04 AM
It's crazy, but on the other hand it kindof reads like there is missing information there too.

Marc Lombardi
05-06-2010, 11:09 AM
This judge just got their pussy in a twist and decided to misuse their power.

Put that on a shirt and she'll throw you in the clink!

Ben
05-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Does that mean women that have had those parts removed are unable to make rules?

Unicornucopia
05-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Put that on a shirt and she'll throw you in the clink!

Only if I wear it to court.

Unicornucopia
05-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Does that mean women that have had those parts removed are unable to make rules?

They can make rules, but at that point nobody is obliged to follow them.

PatrickA
05-06-2010, 11:23 AM
It does. No different that a protester holding up a sign.

Which if you did in court you'd probably be thrown in jail.

The judge certainly over reacted, but I am pretty sure judges have a lot of leeway in terms of what they can consider contempt of court. I'm also pretty certain you can't sue a judge for finding you in contempt. You can appeal the decision, I suppose.

Joe Kalicki
05-06-2010, 11:25 AM
I got yelled at by a baliff as a spectator in court once for not taking off my hat (I just forgot to), but that made sense. Why would a judge even pay attention to or care what someone in the crowd is wearing?

Ben
05-06-2010, 11:29 AM
I got yelled at by a baliff as a spectator in court once for not taking off my hat (I just forgot to), but that made sense. Why would a judge even pay attention to or care what someone in the crowd is wearing?I imagine her shirt would be a bit more distracting than some dude's baseball cap. Especially if there's a jury there.

Rod Nunley
05-06-2010, 11:37 AM
I imagine her shirt would be a bit more distracting than some dude's baseball cap. Especially if there's a jury there.

Or if she had really big boobs. ;)

Marc Lombardi
05-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Or if she had really big boobs. ;)

Or a pussy, because that gives you the power (or so I hear).

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-06-2010, 11:44 AM
I guess this means I shouldn't wear my "I Have A Cock, And I Use It To Fuck Pussy With!" shirt to fancy things, like court hearings and funerals.

Ultimate Lurker
05-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Hey guys, what's going on down there? This horse is so tall, I can barely see you!

Ben
05-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I guess this means I shouldn't wear my "I Have A Cock, And I Use It To Fuck Pussy With!" shirt to fancy things, like court hearings and funerals.I think it's okay as long as it's sex court or a sex funeral.

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-06-2010, 11:50 AM
I think it's okay as long as it's sex court or a sex funeral.

The last sex funeral I went to was full of stiffs.

russw
05-06-2010, 11:51 AM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/217/605074-cartman_super.jpg

Ben
05-06-2010, 11:55 AM
The last sex funeral I went to was full of stiffs.http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/thedailynow/benaward.gif

bradical
05-06-2010, 11:57 AM
The last sex funeral I went to was full of stiffs.

:)

kylethoreau
05-06-2010, 12:00 PM
when exactly did this country turn into my senior year of highschool?

fuck, let's just have a country-wide dress code. That should shut people up.:roll:

dasNdanger
05-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Yeah, I agree. Dismiss her from the court room after a good dressing down ;) , but putting her in jail for 48 is a bit much. If she was there on actual business then it would be different, but she was just someone else's ride. Of course, the shirt is in very bad taste, and she should have thought twice before wearing it in public - especially to a court house. However, I can also understand if someone lacks that much class that they'd wear such a thing out of the house in the first place, they probably don't even realize how offensive it is to the people around them. I think the woman is an idiot, but I also think the judge over-reacted (unless there's more to the story here).

das

Marc Lombardi
05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
The judge's mother was murdered by someone fueled on pussy power.

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-06-2010, 12:17 PM

:lol:

dasNdanger
05-06-2010, 12:17 PM

You and I both know that if that slogan was accompanied by a cute picture of a fuzzy kitty, no one would object. Kitties make everything okay!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/dasNdanger/FATkitty.jpg

See??!

das

Spidey616
05-06-2010, 02:34 PM
:no:

Foolish Mortal
05-06-2010, 02:40 PM

But, jail???
Agreed. I would have given her a verbal beatdown for wearing that to court, but not thrown her in jail.

Thudpucker
05-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Yeah, just eject her from the courtroom. Jesus.

Why would Jesus eject her from the courtroom?

Bill Nolan
05-06-2010, 03:07 PM
I'd like an actual transcript of the sass.. I mean the "response"... this woman gave the judge, not just her recollection of it.

Urgur the Gurgur
05-06-2010, 04:37 PM
I'd like an actual transcript of the sass.. I mean the "response"... this woman gave the judge, not just her recollection of it.

Me too. I have a feeling that the contempt of court charge has more to do with that exchange than the shirt. She did say that she offered to remove the shirt. Sounds like a smartassed thing to say and I doubt she was wearing another shirt under that one.

The Crushtacean
05-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Why would Jesus eject her from the courtroom?

Maybe she was moneychanging?

CapnChaos
05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Agreed that it was in poor taste to wear to a courtroom. At most she should have been asked to leave the courtroom or change shirts. Jailing her for it was a gross misuse of power and I imagine that she might have a lawsuit on her hands.

That about sums it up. The judge was pretty much writing a blank check to her.

When she's not even involved in a case, it's flagrantly over the top.

michealdark
05-06-2010, 06:03 PM
If she offered to remove the shirt, there was no reason for the judge to jail her.

greg donovan
05-06-2010, 11:36 PM
That about sums it up. The judge was pretty much writing a blank check to her.

When she's not even involved in a case, it's flagrantly over the top.

anyone in the courtroom can be charged with contempt.

i want to read the transcript too.

PatrickA
05-07-2010, 04:09 AM
She's not going to sue and if she sues she's not going to win.

She can appeal and maybe get the contempt taken off her record. That's about it.

Leicester Dan
05-07-2010, 06:15 AM
I think that this all depends totally on how the woman gave her responses to the judge, which you cannot get from the article:-

"I'm sorry your honour, I wasn't aware that I was going to be coming here until about 5 minutes ago as I am just here to to give my friend a lift and as such was dressed for the gym rather than court. If I had known I was coming here then I definitely would have dressed more appropriately"

Or...

"I don't see what the problem is with it and duh!, of course I wouldn't have worn it if I was up in front of you myself. I'll take the f...ing thing off then if it gets up your arse so much."

Both responses could be described as "I said I didn't think it was offensive but said I wouldn't have worn it if I was the defendant." LaPenta, of Round Lake, said she offered to take the shirt off."

Even if the response wasn't as extreme as above, it all depends on the attitude of how the response was given.

Foolish Mortal
05-07-2010, 06:21 AM
Even if I don't think the woman should have been put in jail, I have to say, if you're an adult, you should know what's appropriate to wear and how to act in a court of law.

NATE!
05-07-2010, 06:23 AM
http://img.moronail.net/img/9/3/293.jpg

mario
05-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Ms Slocombe wept!
http://mono.whatevz.net/images/Mollie_Sugden_as_Mrs_Slocombe_cRgPoP.jpg

Ray G.
05-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Even if I don't think the woman should have been put in jail, I have to say, if you're an adult, you should know what's appropriate to wear and how to act in a court of law.

And if you're a judge, you should probably not be a power-mad asshole.

Goes both ways, but I've got to put the burden on the judge. She shouldn't be on the bench.

schizorabbit
05-07-2010, 10:25 AM
As a criminal trial attorney, I've seen more than handful of people getting jailed for contempt for stupid things in court. Some examples?

1) A guy in the audience showing up to court, smelling like alcohol. It was 9am. Don't know what the guy was thinking. You could smell him from 6 rows away. Judge had him arrested after having the dude do an Intoxilator test downstairs to test his alcohol level. This was in some buttfuck country court.
2) A lady did not respond to her name during calender call, because she was outside the courtroom. When the lady stepped inside the courtroom, the judge had her arrested for being late despite the fact that the lady was waiting outside for her tardy attorney. This was in Atlanta. Lady was crying and pleading as she was led away in handcuffs in front of everybody.
3) Had a client who was arrested when, during the judge's sentencing of my client, his cell phone rang while the two of us were at the podium. She didn't arrest him at that moment; instead, she just chastised him, regained her composure, and proceeded with her talk. Embarrassed, my client turned off his cell phone, and as the judge was talking, his SECOND cellphone rang. I still remember the image of the judge, this young, black lady, just shooting up out of her chair and yelling, "No, you didn't!!!! No you didn't!!!" as the police officer (who was the arresting officer and witness for the state) laughed to my right.

So I'm not shocked to hear about this girl getting arrested. Courts got dress codes and shit.

Marcdachamp
05-07-2010, 10:38 AM
2) A lady did not respond to her name during calender call, because she was outside the courtroom. When the lady stepped inside the courtroom, the judge had her arrested for being late despite the fact that the lady was waiting outside for her tardy attorney. This was in Atlanta. Lady was crying and pleading as she was led away in handcuffs in front of everybody.

Ugh, that's some bullshit, right there.

Henry!
05-07-2010, 10:44 AM

It really is maddening to hear shit like that. Luckily what little experience with judges I have had have been pretty positive, but sheesh.

Allgold
05-07-2010, 11:16 AM
I was in court once years ago(as a defendant for something minor) and some girl in front of me had on a black t-shirt with a weed leaf covering the front. And she got arrested after she mouthed off to the judge. Also, when asked if she wanted to be arrested she said "I don't care", while her mom who was standing with her was telling her to shut up. She wasn't some random person in the courtroom, she was charged with something and facing the judge wearing that shirt. And she even put up a struggle when they went to cuff her.

I went to court to contest a speeding ticket last year (and won), and the judge would say "Mr./Mrs _____, how are you doing this morning?" to every person as they were being called up--one guy was walking up to the podium and said, "Yo, wass up?" I thought for sure the judge was going to say something because his eyes darted up from the papers in front of him, but never did.

But that last time that I went to court, I was pretty amazed at the majority of the clothes people wore. I was waaaaaaay overdressed. Some kid in front of me was going through the metal detector and old guy running it said "Pull up your Goddamn pants before you step in that courtroom!" Dude's pants were saggin past his entire ass.

Generic Poster
05-07-2010, 11:39 AM
I guess Judge Helen Rozenberg's rule-making ability trumped this dumbass', since she has both a pussy and a gavel.

schizorabbit
05-07-2010, 11:41 AM

I totally agree. I remember thinking something like, "Holy Fuck, Fulton's got some serious Nazi judges." I've met some whacked out judges. There was this one county--I want to say Newton--that got national attention because a judge ordered a guy, as part of his sentence, to buy a casket and have it placed in his living room to remind him where he's going to end up if he continued his lifestyle--I want to say it was for a DUI.

Judges be crazy.

dasNdanger
05-07-2010, 12:37 PM
...So I'm not shocked to hear about this girl getting arrested. Courts got dress codes and shit.

My husband was actually commended, in front of the entire courtroom, for showing up to court in a suit and tie. (He was in court for a minor fender bender - nothing criminal, thank goodness.)

das

Jef UK
05-07-2010, 01:18 PM
I think 2 days wasn't long enough!

Foolish Mortal
05-07-2010, 01:41 PM
A lady did not respond to her name during calender call, because she was outside the courtroom. When the lady stepped inside the courtroom, the judge had her arrested for being late despite the fact that the lady was waiting outside for her tardy attorney. This was in Atlanta. Lady was crying and pleading as she was led away in handcuffs in front of everybody.

Now that is an inexcusable abuse of power.

michealdark
05-07-2010, 09:20 PM
She's not going to sue and if she sues she's not going to win.

She can appeal and maybe get the contempt taken off her record. That's about it.

If robbers can sue their victims for injuring themselves tripping over shit in the midst of the robbery, this girl can sue this judge.

The Funketeer
05-08-2010, 06:25 AM
I've done jury duty in that courthouse twice now. Nothing interesting like this every happens when I'm there.

schizorabbit
05-08-2010, 06:35 AM
I've done jury duty in that courthouse twice now. Nothing interesting like this every happens when I'm there.

Next time, wear a t-shirt that says, "I have the Dick. Now suck it!"

Slewo.O
05-08-2010, 06:37 AM
Next time, wear a t-shirt that says, "I have the Dick. Now suck it!"

I'll drink to that!