PDA

View Full Version : In even more ridiculousness, (not) praying might get Obama in trouble too.

afroloq
05-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Washington – Thursday, May 6, is the National Day of Prayer, as proclaimed by President Obama. But this year, the annual ritual that began in 1952 is taking place amid controversy.

Last month, a federal judge in Wisconsin ruled that the US law directing the president to proclaim such a day violates the First Amendment, which prohibits government establishment of religion. US District Judge Barbara Crabb also said it was OK to proceed with the National Day of Prayer, pending appeals.

On April 22, the Obama administration appealed Judge Crabb’s ruling to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago.

But, like last year, Mr. Obama himself will not hold any official prayer day observance at the White House. His predecessor, George W. Bush, had held an annual interfaith observance in the East Room of the White House.

Last year, when Obama decided to limit the White House’s involvement to a proclamation, an urban legend was born: Obama had "canceled" the National Day of Prayer. Not so, the White House said. The myth-busting website Snopes.com has a page devoted to the topic. It’s not that the White House is opposed to prayer, Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said last year. “Prayer is something that the president does every day,” he added, noting that it is private.

The National Day of Prayer Task Force, a privately funded group with strong ties to the Evangelical Christian movement, is fighting back against the judge’s ruling and circulating a petition.

“The National Day of Prayer provides an opportunity for all Americans to pray voluntarily according to their own faith – it does not violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment,” task force chairwoman Shirley Dobson said in a statement.

Groups around the country will hold observances on Thursday marking the National Day of Prayer, as in years past. Though the tradition was formalized in 1952, with a congressional resolution calling on the president to proclaim such a day, there were national days of prayer long before then.

Opponents of the day of prayer argue that the proclamation makes them feel as if the government is telling them to engage in a religious activity. Atheists, in particular, object to a government prayer proclamation that assumes a universal belief in God.

Obama’s proclamation designating May 6, 2010, as a National Day of Prayer acknowledges the religious diversity of the United States – within the universe of monotheism.

"I call upon the citizens of our Nation to pray, or otherwise give thanks, in accordance with their own faiths and consciences, for our many freedoms and blessings, and I invite all people of faith to join me in asking for God's continued guidance, grace, and protection as we meet the challenges before us," the proclamation states.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100506/ts_csm/299351

cPol
05-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Jesus.

Ryudo
05-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Jesus.

:lol:

Gregory
05-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Matthew 6:5-6: Sermon on the Mount

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Ben
05-06-2010, 10:15 AM
"I call upon the citizens of our Nation to pray, or otherwise give thanks, in accordance with their own faiths and consciences, for our many freedoms and blessings, and I invite all people of faith to join me in asking for God's continued guidance, grace, and protection as we meet the challenges before us," the proclamation states.I'll give thanks that I'm not interested in praying to some made up magic man in the sky.

Fake Pat
05-06-2010, 10:21 AM
I'll give thanks that I'm not interested in praying to some made up magic man in the sky.

Yup.

The whole thing just needs to go.

Generic Poster
05-06-2010, 10:25 AM
“The National Day of Prayer provides an opportunity for all Americans to pray voluntarily according to their own faith . . . "

If only there were some other day on which this was allowed!

Gregory
05-06-2010, 10:30 AM
If only there were some other day on which this was allowed!

April 15.

edwardmblake
05-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I already forget. Who was the poster who up until recently used to say things like, "Jesus said, "Teach a man to fish and feed him for a life time."" That was always fun. Was it Khrutch?

afroloq
05-06-2010, 10:31 AM
well no one is holding a gun to your head making you get on your knees...

Marc Lombardi
05-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Matthew 6:5-6: Sermon on the Mount

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Ah, but you forget Matthew 6:7-8: Addendum to the Sermon on the Mount

7 However, be it that thou hast spiritual leaders whom are in direct conflict with thy political leaders, then as the Lord sayeth, all bets are off, and thou must prayeth as loudly and as publicly as possible

8 Verily I add, thy also shall demand to have alters erected in places that may or mayest not be related to our Lord God. (In other words, put thy commandments in front of thine courthouses). Just to mess with everyone.

Marc Lombardi
05-06-2010, 10:36 AM
well no one is holding a gun to your head making you get on your knees...

Not even Lawrence Taylor?

Jef UK
05-06-2010, 11:01 AM
One day, all Americans will think alike!