PDA

View Full Version : Getting scratches out of glasses?

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 06:44 AM
So last night, I dropped my new glasses on the sidewalk, and the right lens has two itty-bitty scratches that are going to bother the crap out of me. Now, before I take it to Lenscrafters where they will probably tell me that the only solution is to order a whole new lens, has anyone had any success with any of these home-remedies I've read on the internet while googling last night. Someone suggested toothpaste, but I guess I had the wrong type, because that didn't do anything.

Anyone?

Greygor
05-06-2010, 06:48 AM
sandpaper's good, just smooth down

Then again maybe not ;)

Greygor
05-06-2010, 06:49 AM
On a serious note

http://www.ehow.com/how_2053620_remove-scratches-from-glass.html

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 07:01 AM
On a serious note

http://www.ehow.com/how_2053620_remove-scratches-from-glass.html

Sorry, these are plastic lens eye glasses. That won't work. Though, I did find a video from eHow on Youtube about what to do with scratched plastic eyeglasses, and it was followed by tons of comments about how her suggestions actually ruin glasses more.

Thanks though.

Greygor
05-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Sorry, these are plastic lens eye glasses. That won't work. Though, I did find a video from eHow on Youtube about what to do with scratched plastic eyeglasses, and it was followed by tons of comments about how her suggestions actually ruin glasses more.

Thanks though.

Ahh, didn't realise they were plastic

DAVE
05-06-2010, 07:34 AM
I got an annoying scratch on my new glasses also. I figure it's going to happen anyway so I should just get used to it. But it'd be cool if I found a way to fix it.

Ben
05-06-2010, 07:37 AM
1. Buy grown-up glass glasses
2. Scratch them
3. Use suggestions to remove scratches

SteveFlack
05-06-2010, 07:41 AM
I got an annoying scratch on my new glasses also. I figure it's going to happen anyway so I should just get used to it. But it'd be cool if I found a way to fix it.

I feel the same way. But the scratch is in the middle of the damn lens, not in the upper corner (which is where the scratch on my last pair of glasses was), so I'm noticing it all the time.

Ugh.

Stupid eye problems. I blame my father.

Caley Tibbittz
05-06-2010, 07:45 AM
I rub the blood of innocents on scratches!

Pia Guerra
05-06-2010, 07:49 AM
I had a similar scratch for the last couple of months and tried to ignore it but this week I started getting crazy headaches so went and got the lenses replaced. Fortunately the glasses are less than a year old so Lenscrafters sold me the replacements for half price.

I did ask my optometrist if there was anything I could use to buff out or fill the scratch but she told me those 'fixes' tend to warp the magnification. You really can only get the lens replaced.

My headaches totally disappeared after a couple of hours. It's worth it.