PDA

View Full Version : 2K Sports awards video game player $1mil for pitching a perfect game

Ryudo
05-06-2010, 06:17 AM
... and it took him an hour and a half.

http://gizmodo.com/5532088/guy-wins-1000000-for-pitching-a-perfect-gamein-a-videogame

The folks at 2K Sports offered $1 million to the first person to pitch a perfect game in Major League Baseball 2K10—a supposedly difficult task. 24 hours after the game was released, they had to write a check.

Using Braves pitcher Kenshin Kawakami as his avatar, 24-year-old Alabama resident Wade McGilberry was able to complete his million dollar game in less than 90 minutes after returning home from work.

Great news for Wade because he recorded his attempts according to 2K Sports' rules, but not so great news for them because as "insurance companies couldn't possibly come up with the odds of throwing a perfect game, 2K Sports didn't take out insurance and now will pay McGilberry a lump sum of $1 million out of its own pocket." Oops.

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-06-2010, 06:37 AM
This guy and his wife were just on Howard Stern this morning.

Brad N.
05-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Good for him. How crazy that I bought the game and thought that would be damn near impossible to do, tried it myself (never made it past the fourth inning without giving up a hit), and gave up. Little did I know this guy had already done it. Just think about the thousands of people who were probably still trying to do it say last week having no clue this guy already won 90 minutes after the game went on sale. :lol:

Dude Pal
05-06-2010, 06:46 AM
That's awesome! My roommate kept insisting that it couldn't happen. Although, it definitely took a while after the game came out.

dougmac
05-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Using the pitcher he sed doesn't lend much creditibility to the game's authenticity. It's no surprise but kind of shady how they sat on it for so long and let people think they still had a chance at the prize.

Rod Nunley
05-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Good for him. I bet his wife never gives him any shit for playing the old XBox ever again. :)

Magnum V.I.
05-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Using the pitcher he sed doesn't lend much creditibility to the game's authenticity. It's no surprise but kind of shady how they sat on it for so long and let people think they still had a chance at the prize.

Not really. He still had to send in the tape and have it verified before they could pull the contest.

Briomega
05-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Good for him. How crazy that I bought the game and thought that would be damn near impossible to do, tried it myself (never made it past the fourth inning without giving up a hit), and gave up. Little did I know this guy had already done it. Just think about the thousands of people who were probably still trying to do it say last week having no clue this guy already won 90 minutes after the game went on sale. :lol:

Yeah, I couldn't imagine being able to do it. Even after playing the game for awhile and getting okay with it.

It is kind of funny, though, that they kind of advertised the contest as something that would be difficult to do given the new game changes and yet people did it almost immediately. :lol:

dougmac
05-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Not really. He still had to send in the tape and have it verified before they could pull the contest.

I mean the game's design, not that the guy really did it. If the game was authentic, that bum fifth statrter for the Braves could not pitch a perfect game.

Mylazycat
05-07-2010, 03:58 AM
That's pretty amazing.