PDA

View Full Version : My LCS vanished!

Dan
05-06-2010, 04:39 AM
So I went to my local comics shop yesterday to pick up my books, as is traditional for the hobbyist, and it was gone! All the stock was missing, the store was closed, and there was no note or anything. I was just there last Wednesday! I've had a pull list there for the last 15 years! If it wasn't for the fact that the signage was all still there, it would have been as if the store had never existed.

So I figured I would go drown my sorrows in a Meatball and Pepperoni sub at Subway, and that was closed too, even though the sign said they were open until 9! What gives?

Marcdachamp
05-06-2010, 04:41 AM
The world ends today. You didn't get the memo?

Sorry man, that does sting. My old LCS gave us months and months of notice before they closed.

PatrickA
05-06-2010, 04:44 AM
So I went to my local comics shop yesterday to pick up my books, as is traditional for the hobbyist, and it was gone! All the stock was missing, the store was closed, and there was no note or anything. I was just there last Wednesday! I've had a pull list there for the last 15 years! If it wasn't for the fact that the signage was all still there, it would have been as if the store had never existed.

So I figured I would go drown my sorrows in a Meatball and Pepperoni sub at Subway, and that was closed too, even though the sign said they were open until 9! What gives?

Sir, this is just about the greatest comics fan post in the history of the internet.

Dan
05-06-2010, 04:45 AM
It's very weird. Every now and then I see the owner outside of the store, I'll have to get the scoop.

I guess I'll start going to Jim Hanley's or Midtown comics now in the city. They're more convenient anyway, I just stayed at my old shop out of loyalty.

Ryudo
05-06-2010, 04:47 AM
Sad face!

SidekicksRevenge
05-06-2010, 04:50 AM
Did they move? We're about to move our store, and I'm half convinced that - in spite of months of telling people about the move and stuffing flyers about the move in with their comics - half of our customers will be completely shocked to find us gone.

bartleby
05-06-2010, 04:53 AM
It could be worse. At least, it didn't vanish while you were in it.

bartleby
05-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Did they move? We're about to move our store, and I'm half convinced that - in spite of months of telling people about the move and stuffing flyers about the move in with their comics - half of our customers will be completely shocked to find us gone.

WHAT?! Ultimate Comics is moving?!

Artie Pink
05-06-2010, 05:14 AM
Midtown Comics is still at www.midtowncomics.com (http://www.midtowncomics.com) . Hooray!

dmh3000
05-06-2010, 05:22 AM
That's a shame. I know I would be sad if my comic shops closed.

Dan
05-06-2010, 05:42 AM

Last time they moved (2 years ago) there were flyers and moving sales and directions to the new store. This time, poof! Like a store that sells monkey paws in Morocco.

Maybe someone took Free Comic Book Day extra literally and took everything!

afroloq
05-06-2010, 07:32 AM
It went back to the island

Pat Shatner
05-06-2010, 07:49 AM
My shop moved yesterday too, but they've been throwing announcements and directions in as bag stuffers for the last two weeks.

Dan
05-06-2010, 09:45 AM
it went back to the island

lost

SidekicksRevenge
05-06-2010, 10:17 AM
WHAT?! Ultimate Comics is moving?!

You heard it here first.

I hope to all things holy that this is a bit and you did not, in fact, hear it here first.

gaspar
05-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Something like this happened to me one time. The shop had been doing pretty bad...had almost closed and then was bought out at the last minute...then changed hands again a few months later. I went in one day and everything was gone! There was a note on the door that said all stock had been transferred to the owners other store halfway across town and subscriptions could be continued there. I never even went to check it out.

bartleby
05-06-2010, 10:47 AM
You heard it here first.

I hope to all things holy that this is a bit and you did not, in fact, hear it here first.

It's possible that I have, in fact, heard something about it before.

I AM GROOT!
05-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Did you try the door? I think I've seen this in the movies. You arrive at a deserted building, but try the door and find it unlocked. However, when you step inside, you also find the storefront deserted, like no one's been there in years - dust, cobwebs, etc. - so you head to the backroom, where you find one lone chair with your pull list sitting on it and a copy of next week's release schedule.

Mr. Dave
05-06-2010, 11:13 AM
There was a shop here that was really struggling and then one day it was completely gone. Wiped out. Not a single fixture was left behind. It was a shocker. And then about a month later it was back. Almost exactly the way it was before.

The store went out of business and a rich customer put up the money to restart the store. The employees came back and the sales still suck. It was just weird that it completely disappeared for a month.

Dan
05-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Did you try the door? I think I've seen this in the movies. You arrive at a deserted building, but try the door and find it unlocked. However, when you step inside, you also find the storefront deserted, like no one's been there in years - dust, cobwebs, etc. - so you head to the backroom, where you find one lone chair with your pull list sitting on it and a copy of next week's release schedule.

Even though I could clearly see through the window that the stock was all gone, I still tried the door. It was locked.

Sadly, I now have a filled out Previews Order form with my July Pulls, and no one to give it to.

ernster
05-06-2010, 01:33 PM
you can still order online.

and remember, THEY'RE ALL MAILED FLAT!!!

Shwicaz
05-06-2010, 01:40 PM

I dont' know what the fuck is up with Subway.

BUT, maybe your shop didn't close at all...It might just be delayed due to the flooding. There is a thread about it here:

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=191939

Or maybe it's just some fiendish trick, like being perpetrated by Mysterio, Mastermind, or some other 'M' related villain in Marvel's cannon.

:lol:

Bervda
05-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Make the move to DCBS. I did, and this will be my first month with them delivering. Can't beat the prices. I'm spending about $50 less for a month of books that I was, but getting a dozen or so new titles.

Ab4dd0n
05-06-2010, 01:57 PM
The windows were photoshopped to look like the store was empty

J. Wilson
05-06-2010, 02:00 PM
It could be worse. At least, it didn't vanish while you were in it.

The first comic shop to be opened in Brigadoon?

I AM GROOT!
05-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Even though I could clearly see through the window that the stock was all gone, I still tried the door. It was locked.

Sadly, I now have a filled out Previews Order form with my July Pulls, and no one to give it to.

If there isn't a store nearby, have you thought about going online? DCBS is really good, and there are huge discounts (great customer service, too!).

Dan
05-07-2010, 04:34 AM
I work in NY City, I'm right in between Midtown Comics at the Empire State Building, and Cosmic Comics on 23rd st. I'll be fine for a new store.

I just want to know what happened to the old one!

Andreas
05-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Was the store called "Incognita, Inc." (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?100197)? :shifty:

Andreas

Dan
05-07-2010, 04:50 AM
Alas no, it was Collector's Comic shop in Maywood.

MabusRex
05-07-2010, 04:55 AM

Count me as one since I haven't been to the Durham shop in a while. Is that the location that's moving or is it the Chapel Hill one? And where's it moving to?

bartleby
05-07-2010, 05:05 AM
Count me as one since I haven't been to the Durham shop in a while. Is that the location that's moving or is it the Chapel Hill one? And where's it moving to?

Both.

The Chapel Hill and Durham store on 54 are combining into one Comic Book Super Store at the shopping center on 54 at I-40 next to Mardi Gras Bowling.

Marc Lombardi
05-07-2010, 05:58 AM
Alas no, it was Collector's Comic shop in Maywood.

Did you try calling them?

Dan
05-07-2010, 07:15 AM
I did. No answer. Nothing new on the website either. http://collectorscomicshop.com/about.htm

BenH
05-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Growing up there were a few comic stores near me, but one was a particularly shady one with almost no new comics and an odd selection of back issues. It shut down suddenly and months later I found out it was because the place was a front for selling guns and/or drugs.

Dan
05-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Today is Day 1 of my new Heroic Age, in that I went over to Cosmic Comics at lunch to get my stuff. Next week, I'll try the one at the Empire State Building, and see which one gives me a better discount.

SteveFlack
05-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Today is Day 1 of my new Heroic Age, in that I went over to Cosmic Comics at lunch to get my stuff. Next week, I'll try the one at the Empire State Building, and see which one gives me a better discount.

For the month of May, Jim Hanley's is 25% off everything in the store. You should have went there.

Dan
05-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I still have 2 more Wednesdays!

Good thing I didn't buy any trades though.