PDA

View Full Version : Was Tony Stark ever written the way Robert Downey Jr. Plays him?

Made It Ma!
05-05-2010, 10:03 PM
I've read my fair share of Iron Man...some of the Lee run, most of the Layton run, Byrne's brief run, Busiek, Quesada...and nearly all of The Avengers comics he's appeared in. He never once is as charismatic and fun as Downey Jr.'s portrayal of the character. I come not to praise Downey Jr. but to wonder where he got that. Outside of some drinking episodes, Tony's always been written as fairly straight laced and serious. Almost never with a sense of humor...where did the people behind Iron Man (the movie) get this from? What arc/story/run am I missing?

Nick MB
05-05-2010, 10:04 PM
The closest Tony has ever come to the Downey Jr version is probably the version portrayed in Millar and Hitch's Ultimates.

Ryan Elliott
05-05-2010, 10:05 PM
The closest Tony has ever come to the Downey Jr version is probably the version portrayed in Millar and Hitch's Ultimates.

Yep.

The Hodag
05-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Wherever they got it from, I'm glad. I always liked Iron Man as part of an ensemble in Avengers, but he never much registered for me as a solo character. For me, this is a case where the movies one-upped the source material by making the character more appealing.

Jonathan Callan
05-05-2010, 10:09 PM
I think Ultimates Tony with a little more heart is the right read on what Downey is putting into it.

Brandon191
05-05-2010, 10:10 PM
The one issue John Favreau wrote?

Made It Ma!
05-05-2010, 10:13 PM
forgot all about Ultimates. Dumb of me. Funny how that series seems to have defined how Marvel is doing their movies (outside of Thor that is)

The Hodag
05-05-2010, 10:17 PM
I kind of despise The Ultimates, but I have to admit Millar's Tony almost certainly informed Downey's approach.

dougmac
05-05-2010, 11:02 PM
forgot all about Ultimates. Dumb of me. Funny how that series seems to have defined how Marvel is doing their movies (outside of Thor that is)

good point.
also, it probably would not be good for a movie, but I really liked the approach the Ultimates took with Thor.

Mattman
05-05-2010, 11:08 PM
See I kind of got a Heroes Reborn feel from the character. Especially in the first issue. Say what you will about that whole event as a whole but the Iron Man book was pretty good.

Andrew
05-06-2010, 12:09 AM
good point.
also, it probably would not be good for a movie, but I really liked the approach the Ultimates took with Thor.

Actually, quite the opposite. I'd argue that Ultimate Thor would make for a more interesting movie than the regular Thor. Especially when trying to connect Thor, a mystical character, with Iron Man, a tech-based character, when they do the Avengers film.

Boris the Blade
05-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Fraction's version seemed like a bit more serious version of the same character.

dougmac
05-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Actually, quite the opposite. I'd argue that Ultimate Thor would make for a more interesting movie than the regular Thor. Especially when trying to connect Thor, a mystical character, with Iron Man, a tech-based character, when they do the Avengers film.

I just think it would take too long to play out, especially in a Thor solo flick. If they were introducing the charcater in the Avengers movie, it would have been neat though.

NeverWanderer
05-06-2010, 12:42 AM
See I kind of got a Heroes Reborn feel from the character. Especially in the first issue. Say what you will about that whole event as a whole but the Iron Man book was pretty good.

Good call on that! I was trying to think of the other sort of flippant portrayal of Tony aside from Ultimates and that's exactly it. I really enjoyed those issues.

Hate_Prime
05-06-2010, 12:52 AM
It's the suave bastard Millar Tony Stark if he was on coke and meth.

Foggy's Pal
05-06-2010, 02:16 AM
More recently, Ellis wrote Tony like the movie in Ultimate Armor Wars. I'm not sure which one informed the other, but the Tonys are similar.

Marcdachamp
05-06-2010, 04:36 AM

I'm gonna have to go back and read that some time. One of the few comcis that took place in Buffalo, too.

SidekicksRevenge
05-06-2010, 04:39 AM
Fraction's version seemed like a bit more serious version of the same character.

Yeah, I always read Fracton's take on Tony as a way to reconcile the movie version of Tony with the one that longtime fans had been reading for years. And it works really well. It's the first run where I've ever liked or even cared about Tony Stark in his own book.

Marcdachamp
05-06-2010, 04:43 AM
Yeah, I always read Fracton's take on Tony as a way to reconcile the movie version of Tony with the one that longtime fans had been reading for years. And it works really well. It's the first run where I've ever liked or even cared about Tony Stark in his own book.

Yep, agreed completely. Fraction and Larocca's run has been the perfect follow-up to the films.

totalsellout
05-06-2010, 04:53 AM
i think tony was always supposed to be like downey plays him, it just never came across in the comics. the yellow box over the title splash page would refer to him as a suave playboy, it just never showed through in the writing.

JeremyDale
05-06-2010, 04:57 AM
That's right! I'd forgotten about the Heroes Reborn Iron Man, but that definitely had the same vibe as the movie. Good call.

Regardless, I wouldn't consider Downey's version OUT of character-- just added TO what was already there.

HeroBoy
05-06-2010, 05:31 AM
I thought it was pretty similar to the way Buseik and Chen had him act in the Hero's Return book...

...but maybe I'm misremembering...

Made It Ma!
05-06-2010, 05:49 AM
I thought it was pretty similar to the way Buseik and Chen had him act in the Hero's Return book...

...but maybe I'm misremembering...

You're misremembering. The character in that book was SUPER serious.

Made It Ma!
05-06-2010, 05:50 AM
What about those early Lee / Heck books? I' know I've read them but have no memory of them. Is he a little more "swinging' in those?

The Hodag
05-06-2010, 06:01 AM
What about those early Lee / Heck books? I' know I've read them but have no memory of them. Is he a little more "swinging' in those?

"This Mandarin is a real go-go daddy-o!"

Jef UK
05-06-2010, 06:28 AM
I think he comes off this way in Fraction's run, fo sho.

silverboy
05-06-2010, 06:35 AM
I haven't read much iron man outside the ultimates, and bendis' avengers--but this is the way he should always be written. Like a cool batman.

Made It Ma!
05-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Fraction's Iron Man is written in response to the films. Not vice versa. I was wondering where they screen writers might have gotten their inspiration from. I guess Ultimates is the answer

HeroBoy
05-06-2010, 06:40 AM
I haven't read much iron man outside the ultimates, and bendis' avengers--but this is the way he should always be written. Like a cool batman.

But Batman is cool.

He could certainly out cool Tony if he had time to prepare.

Dude Pal
05-06-2010, 06:43 AM
But Batman is cool.

:lol::lol:

Marcdachamp
05-06-2010, 06:47 AM
But Batman is cool.

No one out cools Tony.

On a sidenote, I really doubt we're going to see his alcoholic past referenced much in the future. I don't think you'll see Tony drinking either, but I bet it's rarely, if ever, brought up again.

Jef UK
05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Fraction's Iron Man is written in response to the films. Not vice versa. I was wondering where they screen writers might have gotten their inspiration from. I guess Ultimates is the answer

Not at first, they weren't. They were written contemporaneously.

Patch
05-06-2010, 08:32 AM
i think tony was always supposed to be like downey plays him, it just never came across in the comics. the yellow box over the title splash page would refer to him as a suave playboy, it just never showed through in the writing.

Yeah.
You can find scenes in the Silver Age books where Stark doesn't take his obligations seriously, is dismissive with his secretary, hops into sports cars, and flirts with the ladies.
They were just smaller scenes then, snippets between the pages of action-heavy books.

And Downey's very good at bringing that stuff to life.

DAVE
05-06-2010, 08:33 AM
I actually thought that Stark used to be charismatic in the comics, but that was lost in recent years, and RDJ sort of brought it back.

jason hissong
05-06-2010, 08:46 AM
No one out cools Tony.

On a sidenote, I really doubt we're going to see his alcoholic past referenced much in the future. I don't think you'll see Tony drinking either, but I bet it's rarely, if ever, brought up again.

Which is a dissappointment, because that's rich material for interesting, and moving, stories.

Kefky
05-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Which is a dissappointment, because that's rich material for interesting, and moving, stories.

I disagree. Denny O'Neil went as far as you can go with an alcohol story, and Tony would just start looking like a loser if he never got over his drinking problem.

I'd go as far as saying that it's a good thing that the drinking didn't become a writer's crutch for Iron man.

Made It Ma!
05-06-2010, 08:57 AM
They've done stories where Tony is addicted to the suit right? Where he's replaced the alcohol with the excitement of the suit?

A lot of drinking stems from wanting to escape from you're everyday life...have they explored WHY Tony drank so much? Or did they just chalk it up to chemical addiction?

jason hissong
05-06-2010, 09:15 AM
I disagree. Denny O'Neil went as far as you can go with an alcohol story, and Tony would just start looking like a loser if he never got over his drinking problem.

I'd go as far as saying that it's a good thing that the drinking didn't become a writer's crutch for Iron man.

In all honesty, I've never read Demon in a Bottle, but maybe I should.

Maybe I mistated my position. Certainly Tony being a drinker has run it's course. THAT story is uninteresting. The story that would be interesting, at least to me, is what happens to Tony post-sobriety. Tony going to AA meetings. Tony doing the work that IRL AA members do. Tony as a recovering alcoholic, but still being a superhero and a billoinaire playboy.

They've done stories where Tony is addicted to the suit right? Where he's replaced the alcohol with the excitement of the suit?

A lot of drinking stems from wanting to escape from you're everyday life...have they explored WHY Tony drank so much? Or did they just chalk it up to chemical addiction?

Alcoholics drink, at least in my understanding and experience, i) because there is a chemical addiction to the alcohol and ii) because, for the drinking alcoholic, the drink is the solution to their problems. It makes perfect sense that Tony would replace the alcohol with something else. The suit, for example.

HeroBoy
05-06-2010, 09:16 AM
could Batman out drink Tony?

Patch
05-06-2010, 09:21 AM
could Batman out drink Tony?

:lol:

Marcdachamp
05-06-2010, 09:40 AM

God, EVERY time you post I think it's Mike Choi at first. Your sig really looks like his at a quick glance.

You can't blame them for not touching it any more. The Tony that most Iron Man fans associate with is the rockstar from the movies. The hard drinking, womanizing genius. Besides, Tony's status as an alcoholic can be easily addressed by just never showing him drink in the comics. It's a happy medium, I think.

SidekicksRevenge
05-06-2010, 09:51 AM

I don't think it will be called out and named anytime soon, but the occasional reference to "maybe I should start drinking again" or a panel of intense staring at a bottle of Jack during a particularly rough patch...

Marcdachamp
05-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't think it will be called out and named anytime soon, but the occasional reference to "maybe I should start drinking again" or a panel of intense staring at a bottle of Jack during a particularly rough patch...

I hope not. That was so fucking done to death.

HeroBoy
05-06-2010, 09:59 AM
I tried explaining the Demon in A Bottle storyline to my girlfriend after we watched the first Iron Man movie. She did not seem to like it at all, stating that it didn't make him sound like a hero, for what thats worth.

Personally, I hope it's not referenced to death. Or at all. I'm reading Iron Man, not Rescue Me: Iron Man Edition.

OzMan
05-06-2010, 10:10 AM
I think the times have just changed, but the character really hasn't. I've been reading Iron Man since the 80's and the character has been that book that I have religiously followed through good and bad.

The character from before in my opinion focused more on his Super Heroing rather than his playboy life. But he did have his moments that reflected the overconfident playboy attitude in the Millar books.

One scene I specifically remember was during the Armor Wars storyline with Cap, where after he screwed Cap over in the VAULT, Steve encountered him later wining and dining a girl in his room showing that same style of character.

Today there is a much larger focus on the person under the mask more than the mask itself, thus there is more emphasis on Tony's Playboy life and what that is like.

We'll probably see this go away again and go back and forth with the view of the character.

Also, alot more shit (Civil War, Dissassembled)has happened the the Regular Tony then the Ultimate Tony.

BWC Boston
05-06-2010, 11:02 AM

No, Fraction started his run before seeing or being consulted about the movie. His only movie-related writing goal was to make it accessible to new readers.--or so he said on Word Balloon.

Made It Ma!
05-06-2010, 11:15 AM
No, Fraction started his run before seeing or being consulted about the movie. His only movie-related writing goal was to make it accessible to new readers.--or so he said on Word Balloon.

I didn't know that...

It's just weird that no one really wrote Tony Stark as a witty guy before RD Jr.'s performance. Hell, he's still not written that way. I know he's a smart and focused guy, and I'm not saying he should be Spider-Man with the quips, but compared to Captain American and Thor...he should be the relatively light hearted one. Yet, that's not really how he's ever been written. For awhile, in The Avengers books of the late 70s-90s, both Iron Man and Captain America were written as total serious and pompous dicks.

The Hodag
05-06-2010, 11:23 AM
I wonder if they'd hold on the drinking storyline because to the general public, that's a storyline Hancock did first?

Kefky
05-06-2010, 11:37 AM
From what I recall, Fraction said himself that he was surprised at how well his series matched up with the movie. It was purely coincidental.

OzMan
05-18-2010, 06:43 AM
I didn't know that...

It's just weird that no one really wrote Tony Stark as a witty guy before RD Jr.'s performance. Hell, he's still not written that way. I know he's a smart and focused guy, and I'm not saying he should be Spider-Man with the quips, but compared to Captain American and Thor...he should be the relatively light hearted one. Yet, that's not really how he's ever been written. For awhile, in The Avengers books of the late 70s-90s, both Iron Man and Captain America were written as total serious and pompous dicks.

Millar wrote him that way. as I recall Ultimates came out before the movie did.

SMACK!
05-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Well Stan Lee originally based him on Howard Hughes and a dash of Hugh Hefner.