PDA

View Full Version : Joe the Plumber - the next governer of Ohio??

gear
05-05-2010, 11:12 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100505/ap_on_re_us/us_joe_the_plumber_elected

TOLEDO, Ohio – Joe the Plumber is plunging into party politics.

Samuel "Joe" Wurzelbacher, who was hailed by Republican John McCain's presidential campaign in 2008, won one of nearly 400 seats on the local Republican Party committee in Ohio's Lucas County.

But don't call him Joe the Politician just yet.

The group he'll serve on meets only a few times a year to elect the county chairman and sets the party agenda. Wurzelbacher won the seat by a 38-24 vote Tuesday in his suburban Toledo precinct. A message seeking comment was left with him Wednesday.

He became an overnight sensation almost two years ago after questioning then-Sen. Barack Obama on the campaign trail about his economic policies and then when McCain repeatedly cited "Joe the Plumber" in a debate.

He was held up by the GOP as an example of the middle-class worker who would be hurt economically by an Obama presidency.

Wurzelbacher has since written a book, spoken at conservative gatherings and spent a few weeks as a war correspondent in the Gaza Strip.

He's resisted calls to run for Congress and has criticized Democrats and Republicans alike. He's also taken shots at McCain, confessing in his book that he did not want him as the GOP presidential nominee.

Wurzelbacher remains an icon for many antiestablishment conservatives.

He drew cheers at a tea party rally last month in Cincinnati when he told the crowd not to let "a bunch of liberal pansies" take away their rights.

"Illegal immigration?" he said. "Put a fence up and start shooting."

Wurzelbacher has never been shy about sharing his views even if they open him up to critics.

He told Christianity Today in an interview last year that he believes gays are "queer" and said he won't allow them near his children.

"I've had some friends that are actually homosexual. And, I mean, they know where I stand, and they know that I wouldn't have them anywhere near my children," he said. "But at the same time, they're people, and they're going to do their thing."

He also said that too many Republicans use God "to invoke sympathy or invoke righteousness, but they don't stay the course."

--------

God save us all!!!

Ray G.
05-05-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm pretty sure my hamster could get elected to one of these county seats. No one turns out for these.

Gregory
05-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I can't wait to see him face anyone in a debate. I would pay to watch.

CougarTrace
05-05-2010, 11:18 AM
no worse than any other person running for office

gear
05-05-2010, 11:20 AM

I'd be ashamed to be the one who lost to him. :lol:

SteveFlack
05-05-2010, 11:27 AM

Wurzelbacher has never been shy about sharing his views even if they open him up to critics.

He told Christianity Today in an interview last year that he believes gays are "queer" and said he won't allow them near his children.

"I've had some friends that are actually homosexual. And, I mean, they know where I stand, and they know that I wouldn't have them anywhere near my children," he said. "But at the same time, they're people, and they're going to do their thing.

Sounds pretty bad to me.

Ryan Elliott
05-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Sounds pretty bad to me.

No, I think CougarTrace thinks all that is totally awesome.

Stark Raving
05-05-2010, 11:29 AM
I saw several copies of his book in the clearance section at Half Price Books the other day.
I considered doing the store a favor and just setting them on fire. :D

bartleby
05-05-2010, 11:32 AM

It's hilarious that you think that.

SteveFlack
05-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I saw several copies of his book in the clearance section at Half Price Books the other day.
I considered doing the store a favor and just setting them on fire. :D

There's a clearance section at a place already called "Half Price Books"? Wow. Being stuck in there must just be sad.

Marc Lombardi
05-05-2010, 11:49 AM
He's nothing more than a committe-person/ward leader. Hell, four and a half years ago I put myself in as a write-in vote and WON. And then I served for three years on the Democratic committee before bowing out last year. They're reaching for a story on this one. It's not like he was being voted on by anyone OTHER than other Republicans in his district. It's done as part of the primary elections for that very reason. Dumb.

TheTravis!
05-05-2010, 11:55 AM

YOU are Joe the Plumber, aren't you?

Buk Was Right
05-05-2010, 11:58 AM
There's a clearance section at a place already called "Half Price Books"? Wow. Being stuck in there must just be sad.

Usually it's a bin out front left unattended that might as well have a "please shoplift these" sign attached.

bartleby
05-05-2010, 11:58 AM

No, he's Trace the Guy-who-Types-on-Two-Keyboards.

CougarTrace
05-05-2010, 12:01 PM

keep your day job

Buk Was Right
05-05-2010, 12:02 PM

Maybe the people you vote for.

Personally I'm not much for racist, bigoted assholes holding public office.

bartleby
05-05-2010, 12:04 PM
keep your day job

Oh, the irony of you telling TheTravis! to stop trying to be funny...

Buk Was Right
05-05-2010, 12:05 PM
keep your day job

Until the immigrants clear the fence and dodge the bullets and come take it anyway.

AMIRITTE GUYZ?

TheTravis!
05-05-2010, 12:07 PM
keep your day job

:thumb: Good rebuttal, Susan.

Benel Germosen
05-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Oh, the irony of you telling TheTravis! to stop trying to be funny...

I don't think Cougar Trace comes equip with an irony detector.

Mattman
05-05-2010, 12:45 PM
keep your day job
Get a time machine, go back to 1925 and tell that to Fatty Arbuckle. Know what he'll say? "That's fucking old dude."

CougarTrace
05-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Maybe the people you vote for.

Personally I'm not much for racist, bigoted assholes holding public office.

what I meant was the current politicians have done such a swell job in Ohio that he couldn't possilbly do much worse

LenNWallace
05-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Feeling sorry for the state of Ohio...

Buk Was Right
05-05-2010, 01:42 PM
what I meant was the current politicians have done such a swell job in Ohio that he couldn't possilbly do much worse

Yeah, I guess that's true. It's like the old saying: "If at first you don't succeed give the job to an ignorant racist redneck bigoted asshole."

I think Ben Franklin said that.

Benel Germosen
05-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Feeling sorry for the state of Ohio...

They brought it on themselves.

Mister Mets
05-05-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm pretty sure my hamster could get elected to one of these county seats. No one turns out for these.

Both of my parents and a few family friends are on these local committees. It's not exactly competitive.

CougarTrace
05-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I guess that's true. It's like the old saying: "If at first you don't succeed give the job to an ignorant racist redneck bigoted asshole."

I think Ben Franklin said that.

I don't know Joe Plumber more than any other person who runs for office as a bigot or not. Doesn't mean I would vote for him at all, but look at the shambles Ohio is in. Someone has to do better.

Buk Was Right
05-05-2010, 01:59 PM
or another bigot

Don't quit your day job.

SMACK!
05-05-2010, 02:01 PM
:sad: Wow, as if I needed another reason to be ashamed of Ohio.

CougarTrace
05-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Don't quit your day job.

my sentence was incomplete when I hit post but congrats sir

SMACK!
05-05-2010, 02:03 PM
The name Joe the Plumber sounds like a Sesame Street character. One that's, you know, bigoted and homophobic.

SMACK!
05-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't know Joe Plumber more than any other person who runs for office as a bigot or not. Doesn't mean I would vote for him at all, but look at the shambles Ohio is in. Someone has to do better.

"I've had some friends that are actually homosexual. And, I mean, they know where I stand, and they know that I wouldn't have them anywhere near my children," he said. "But at the same time, they're people, and they're going to do their thing."
You're not sure if he is a bigot or not? Did you even read the article that you posted?

And other than handling a wrench and a plunger, what skills does he have to hold office, and do better than the current governor?

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
05-05-2010, 02:05 PM
He sounds like a bigot and an asshole.

CougarTrace
05-05-2010, 02:12 PM
You're not sure if he is a bigot or not? Did you even read the article that you posted?

And other than handling a wrench and a plunger, what skills does he have to hold office, and do better than the current governor?

if those are real words coming from his mouth then he sounds like he is channeling Pat Buchanon and I wouldn't vote for him at all.

My point was anyone can do a better job in Ohio right now - not necessarily Joe.

Buk Was Right
05-05-2010, 02:17 PM
if those are real words coming from his mouth then he sounds like he is channeling Pat Buchanon and I wouldn't vote for him at all.

My point was anyone can do a better job in Ohio right now - not necessarily Joe.

And I think the point that I'm making (perhaps not clearly) is that, no, not ANYONE can do better.

Someone better could surely do better, but I don't think it's accurate to say "fuck it, let whoever run for office they HAVE to be better" because a bigoted idiotic homophobe like Joe the Plumber would not qualify as the "lesser of two evils" he would, in fact, be the more evil of several evils.

Fake Pat
05-05-2010, 02:18 PM

So, anyone can, just not some people?

bartleby
05-05-2010, 03:12 PM

You're really stuck on this idea that if something is bad, then anything else automatically must be better. And that's just not fucking true.

gear
05-05-2010, 05:36 PM
I want to know more about they guy who got less votes than Joe. I mean really??? How do you lose to Joe da Plumber? Unless his district is composed only of Tea Party loyalist.