PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Matthew Vaughn to direct X-Men: First Class for a June 2011 release

Andrew
05-04-2010, 04:25 PM
'X-Men: First Class' to arrive June 3, 2011

Matthew Vaughn is directing Fox prequel for studio

Twentieth Century Fox's prequel "X-Men: First Class" is set to go.
With Matthew Vaughn now on board to direct, studio has dated the pic for release on June 3, 2011.

Moving aggressively, Fox says production will begin this summer, although a cast hasn't yet been announced.

Bryan Singer, who conceived the story for "First Class" and directed the first two "X-Men" pics, is producing with Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg.

"I've been a fan of Matthew's since 'Layer Cake," said Singer. "He has a deft hand with multiple characters and storylines, and a great love of the X-Men universe. I feel the combination of this story and his vision will make for an exciting and original X-Men film."

All told, the first four "X-Men" films grossed a combined $1.53 billion at the worldwide box office. Franchise is based on the Marvel Comics series.

"First Class" chronicles the beginning of the X-Men saga, before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr took the names Professor X and Magneto and when they were discovering their powers for the first time. Close friends then, the two men worked with other mutants (some familiar, some new) to stop a global threat. In the process, a rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto's Brotherhood and Professor X's X-Men.

"'X-Men: First Class' presents an exciting opportunity to further explore the history and relationships of these beloved characters. Matthew's combination of talent, verve and vision is perfectly suited to the task," Fox prexy of production Emma Watts said.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118018731.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Spidey616
05-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Wow. That was fast. 2011? Big summer between this, Thor, and Captain America

BriRedfern
05-04-2010, 04:37 PM
A marvelous summer?

HOOKS
05-04-2010, 04:40 PM
2012 will also have THE AVENGERS, SPIDER-MAN and possibly WOLVERINE II. So two Marvelous summers in a row!

HOOKS
05-04-2010, 04:41 PM

And TRANSFORMERS 3. :D

Foolish Mortal
05-04-2010, 04:44 PM
And TRANSFORMERS 3. :D
http://inlinethumb41.webshots.com/7976/2907850530100431810S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2907850530100431810DMvuxQ)

WhindamPryce
05-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Huh.

joeAR
05-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Wow, that's pretty awesome!

stephenp01
05-04-2010, 06:08 PM
That's a really quick turn around June 3, 2011.

dougmac
05-04-2010, 06:12 PM
That's a really quick turn around June 3, 2011.

X3 was also official with Vaughn until the quick turnaround demanded by Fox killed it and got us Ratner

Andrew
05-04-2010, 06:15 PM
X3 was also official with Vaughn until the quick turnaround demanded by Fox killed it and got us Ratner

Yeah. The difference here is that the release date is being set along with Vaughn signing on, which means that he's agreed to it this time.

Jason California
05-04-2010, 06:21 PM
2012 will also have THE AVENGERS, SPIDER-MAN and possibly WOLVERINE II. So two Marvelous summers in a row!

I am really glad they are giving us so many movies I wanted to see before the world ends.

Jason California
05-04-2010, 06:21 PM

I am really glad they are giving us so many movies I wanted to see before the world ends.

nick maynard
05-04-2010, 07:33 PM
this movie is going to be great. i love everything i've heard about it so far.

Jef UK
05-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Wasn't he tied to X-Men 3 back in the day? And then he bailed?

Jef UK
05-04-2010, 07:35 PM

Ah, there we go.

Maybe he's more experienced now and can handle the timeframe.

McGill
05-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Hopefully this doesnt suck a huge monkeys taint. Because seriously, x-men movies havent been all that awesome.

Kurt Russell Crowe
05-04-2010, 08:00 PM
yeah, this and the Wolverine sequel need to be awesome. Vaughn is a great step.

nick maynard
05-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Ah, there we go.

his ability to handle the "timeframe" doesn't necessarily depend totally on his experience. there could be other factors, previous commitments, family obligations, etc.

just saying!

Caley Tibbittz
05-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Please tell me this means more Patrick Stewart.

dougmac
05-04-2010, 08:20 PM
his ability to handle the "timeframe" doesn't necessarily depend totally on his experience. there could be other factors, previous commitments, family obligations, etc.

just saying!

Last time the timeframe was ridiculous and studio mandated, it wasn't that Vaughn was inexperienced. That's why X3 came off as rushed and not very good. They were so desperate to stick to their timeline instead of just letting Singer push it back, or Vaughn push it back a little but not as far as Singer would, that they had to settle for a rush job from Ratner.
I still think X3 isn't as bad as it's rep says it is, but it just seems that if they had time to iron out some story kinks and think it through it would have been really good instead of barely watchable.

nick maynard
05-04-2010, 08:28 PM
it'd hurt the film for me, if they recast it. he's just perfect.

Andrew
05-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Ah, there we go.

Here's what Mark Millar said about it:

The Vaughnster was on the phone last night and laughing about how he was SO CERTAIN he wasn't doing this two days ago, but is now very, very excited. What's great is that they've worked out a way for him to do it exactly the way he wants to and incredibly quickly, the entire turnaround on the project being nine months, Spielberg-style, so he can get it out next June. Totally crazy, but also cool. As I said a month or two ago, the exec who got in touch with me was heading a great team and these guys basically made all Vaughn's fears go away. I really think this is going to be good as it's exactly on his terms.

We're going to meet on Monday and block out the screenplay for the Leinil series you haven't heard about yet. I'm launching the book in September and just finishing issue five of six. Vaughn is writing and producing this picture and still plans to direct, though X-Men obviously now takes precedence. The good news is that this can be turned around very quickly. Strange how fast things turn around in films, though. He told them flat out earlier in the week that he couldn't, but they made one crucial change to the schedule that fixed everything for him, though that's probably for he and Fox to tell rather than me.

http://forums.millarworld.tv/index.php?showtopic=93120

This is exactly what I figured. Considering how Vaughn dropped out of doing X3, he wouldn't have signed on to do this unless it was on his terms, and he agreed to the timeline.

Marcdachamp
05-05-2010, 04:45 AM
Wow, awesome news! Can't wait for this!

OzMan
05-05-2010, 05:06 AM

I really don't think they used him very well in the last two films, since this is sort of a relaunch, I would be they would recast the character, he would just look too old to make it convincing.

Doug
05-05-2010, 05:15 AM

De-aged Patrick Stewart was one of the worst parts of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The EFX made him look fake.

bartleby
05-05-2010, 05:24 AM
Have we gotten a firm answer as to whether this is a reboot or a prequel?

Andrew
05-05-2010, 05:31 AM
I really don't think they used him very well in the last two films, since this is sort of a relaunch, I would be they would recast the character, he would just look too old to make it convincing.

I guarantee you that the absence of Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen would hurt this film's box office take. They need them to maintain a link with the previous X-Men films.

Have we gotten a firm answer as to whether this is a reboot or a prequel?

While some comic book fan sites have erroneously presumed it to be a reboot, it's always been stated by those involved that it's a prequel. With Singer still around as a producer and them using his story treatment, I can't imagine that it would be a reboot.

silverboy
05-05-2010, 07:45 AM
...when did Singer drop the project as director? What's he working on now?

Roman Noodles
05-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Hopefully this doesnt suck a huge monkeys taint. Because seriously, x-men movies havent been all that awesome.

Wait . . . what?

Okay, yes, X3 was an abomination is the eyes of God. But X-Men 1 + 2 were fantastic.

(Wolverine was alright for what it was, that whole movie is just set-up to get Logan to Japan anyway.)

Rod Nunley
05-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Wait . . . what?

Okay, yes, X3 was an abomination is the eyes of God. But X-Men 1 + 2 were fantastic.

(Wolverine was alright for what it was, that whole movie is just set-up to get Logan to Japan anyway.)

See and here I thought Wolverine was one of the worst big budget movies to come out the year it was released. Just awful.

Roman Noodles
05-05-2010, 08:52 AM
See and here I thought Wolverine was one of the worst big budget movies to come out the year it was released. Just awful.

Now, I just don't think you could put a label on Wolverine. It was a big-budget, check your brain at the door, don't expect Batman, kind of movie. There's really no good or bad with those films, more of a, boring/not boring.

But that's just my opinion.

Andrew
05-05-2010, 01:15 PM
...when did Singer drop the project as director? What's he working on now?

Contractual obligation to direct Jack the Giant Killer for Warner Bros. However, it seems likely that he has his foot in the door to direct Wolverine 2 and/or X-Men 4.

WhindamPryce
05-27-2010, 04:08 PM
James McAvoy is Professor Xavier!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45273

I approve!!!

Spidey616
05-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Mr. Tumnus?

I can dig it :cool:

majorjoe23
05-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Professor X will be the same age as me? I'm not sure I approve.