PDA

View Full Version : DARK AVENGERS #16 is out now!! (Spoilers)

Spidey616
05-04-2010, 09:10 AM
The end is coming....

FIRST LOOK: Dark Avengers #16 (http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.12333.first_look~colon~_dark_avengers _%2316)

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/content/12333storystory_full-2992184..jpg

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/content/resized/13a179de7184b5a8a55ff7a74d5aec24.jpg

Ryudo
05-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Iron Man clocking Moonstone = :lol:

DAVE
05-04-2010, 09:39 AM
The thing that really impresses me about Deodato's work is how he successfully merges a modern realistic aesthetic with old school dynamic action. A lot of guys working in a modern style can't do that, and their action scenes look like it's people posing. This shit jumps off the page.

Ryudo
05-04-2010, 09:49 AM
The thing that really impresses me about Deodato's work is how he successfully merges a modern realistic aesthetic with old school dynamic action. A lot of guys working in a modern style can't do that, and their action scenes look like it's people posing. This shit jumps off the page.

You are absolutely correct, man.

I have enjoyed the way his work has evolved since he first got onto the Marvel scene.

And he benefits too from having some incredible colorists working with him.

Brother Power the Gong
05-04-2010, 09:53 AM

His layouts move. Deodato's work is just amazing.

rogerio
05-04-2010, 10:21 AM
His layouts move. Deodato's work is just amazing.
Agree. Deodato is really talented!
I look forward to picking up his Secret Avengers. ;-)

stephenp01
05-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Looks awesome as usual. Shouldn't Daken be a little burnt looking? I mean I know he wasn't dead but Thor got him pretty good.

WhindamPryce
05-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Looks awesome as usual. Shouldn't Daken be a little burnt looking? I mean I know he wasn't dead but Thor got him pretty good.

He has a healing factor too I believe.

BENDIS!
05-04-2010, 03:22 PM
I miss the deo

Pat Loika
05-04-2010, 03:35 PM
I miss the deo

I'm gonna miss the whole book. Maybe you can do a Dark Avengers Forever? :)

P.

MayorMitch100
05-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Darn, this was a good book. Deodeta is outstanding.

rogerio
05-04-2010, 07:24 PM
My favorite brazilian artist and one of my top ten...ever!;)

dmh3000
05-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Wow, looking good. A shame the series has to come to an end though.

THWIP!
05-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't know if it's the colors or the inking but something about those pages looks off. It was the same in the last issue too. Not crazy about it.

Marcdachamp
05-05-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm gonna miss the whole book. Maybe you can do a Dark Avengers Forever? :)

P.

Oh God, please! I'd buy that in a second!

Dude Pal
05-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Holy crap this book looks great! I feel like Deo's art comes up and punches me in the face!

dmh3000
05-05-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't know if it's the colors or the inking but something about those pages looks off. It was the same in the last issue too. Not crazy about it.

Really? I thought it looked fine.

Andrew
05-06-2010, 05:15 AM
Looks incredible, but I really wish the series wasn't ending.

Matt Jay
05-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Just read it!! Bendis gave it away at Excalibur Comics. Portland is fucking awesome!!

I won't spoil anything, but I will say that this issue was a fitting ending to the story that Ellis started with the T-bolts. And Bendis, in typical classy fashion, gives Ellis proper credit. This is my favorite title so I'm bummed that it's over, but Bendis and Deodato really delivered on this issue. Deodato's art has never looked better, and that is saying something.

Foolish Mortal
05-09-2010, 04:29 PM
The end is coming....

FIRST LOOK: Dark Avengers #16 (http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.12333.first_look~colon~_dark_avengers _%2316)

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/content/12333storystory_full-2992184..jpg

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/content/resized/13a179de7184b5a8a55ff7a74d5aec24.jpg
That's the shit right there. It almost looks like it's painted.

Matt Jay
05-09-2010, 04:33 PM
That's the shit right there. It almost looks like it's painted.

Yeah, I don't know if it's a new coloring technique or what, but Deodato's art is on a whole new level in this issue. I hope they do it in SA.

Jef UK
05-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Norman's monologue at the end was amazing. The big punch 'em up went down in Seige, but this was a lot more satisfying for me. Or rather, they were nice counterparts to each other, which is the point. Great series. I like that it's over and had set amount of stories to tell.

Jew Mafia
05-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Norman's monologue at the end was amazing. The big punch 'em up went down in Seige, but this was a lot more satisfying for me. Or rather, they were nice counterparts to each other, which is the point. Great series. I like that it's over and had set amount of stories to tell.

Same here, Siege had to happen the way it did. But Dark Avengers was the payoff. Final scene was chilling. I enjoyed this the most.

jamestolliver
05-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Amazing final scene.

gooch
05-12-2010, 01:48 PM

I don't like new style of coloring at all. Its weird though, some panels seem to be his old style. And even the new style seems different from panel to panel. I hope this isn't how Secret Avengers is going to look.

Still, great issue. Definitely going to miss this title.

Foolish Mortal
05-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Yeah that monologue really punched the ticket for this issue. Mainly because there was a tinge of truth in what Osborn said.

Really solid end to a great series.

Slewo.O
05-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Just read it!! Bendis gave it away at Excalibur Comics. Portland is fucking awesome!!

I won't spoil anything, but I will say that this issue was a fitting ending to the story that Ellis started with the T-bolts. And Bendis, in typical classy fashion, gives Ellis proper credit. This is my favorite title so I'm bummed that it's over, but Bendis and Deodato really delivered on this issue. Deodato's art has never looked better, and that is saying something.

Funny how everyone was bitching about how Bendis "stole" the concept from Ellis when it was a continuation and so on and so forth. Bendis is a pretty classy guy for giving the credit. And yeah as much as I didn't always quite like how he wrote some of the other characters in the book, this issue was flawless and was a great ode to Dark Reign and this era of Marvel.

Supreme Convoy
05-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Didn't notice the variation in coloring last issue but I love the look of this issue. Really classy looking.

Great send off to the series. I especially love the last moments of the book with Norman :)

Also, did we ever find out what H.A.M.M.E.R. stands for?

Slewo.O
05-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Didn't notice the variation in coloring last issue but I love the look of this issue. Really classy looking.

Great send off to the series. I especially love the last moments of the book with Norman :)

Nope. Which is strange, it'd be funny if we found out in the first issue of Avengers or something.

Jef UK
05-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Yeah that monologue really punched the ticket for this issue. Mainly because there was a tinge of truth in what Osborn said.

Really solid end to a great series.

No, he was absolutely right! If it just weren't for the goblin!!!

So good. I mean, we all sympathized with Norm right then, right?

Jef UK
05-12-2010, 07:32 PM

Absolutely. Well put!

DAVE
05-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Absolutely. Well put!
Thanks, and ditto to what you said!

MayorMitch100
05-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I don't know if it's a new coloring technique or what, but Deodato's art is on a whole new level in this issue. I hope they do it in SA.

I agree, I knew he was good, but issue looked beautiful.

DAVE
05-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Deodato is amazing, and his work is always getting better, but the change you guys are talking about is from the colorist. And it looks terrific.

Kirblar
05-12-2010, 08:41 PM
No, he was absolutely right! If it just weren't for the goblin!!!

So good. I mean, we all sympathized with Norm right then, right?
Yup. In the end, he's a tragic Nixon-like figure.

costello
05-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Nick Fury is a push over. He makes promises he cannot keep and I hope he gets what he deserves in the Heroic Age. He's a toothless tiger. He tells the crew not to move, EVERYONE does, and he not only doesn't keep his word but does nothing. Pathetic.

I loved this issue, but I hope bad things happen to Fury. The government didn't let him invade Latveria in Secret War because he was incompetent, not because of some conspiracy theory. Ass.

Albert
05-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Nick Fury is a push over. He makes promises he cannot keep and I hope he gets what he deserves in the Heroic Age. He's a toothless tiger. He tells the crew not to move, EVERYONE does, and he not only doesn't keep his word but does nothing. Pathetic.

I loved this issue, but I hope bad things happen to Fury. The government didn't let him invade Latveria in Secret War because he was incompetent, not because of some conspiracy theory. Ass.

(Shh, he's fictional.)

This was one of the best single issues I've read in a long time—and I've read a lot of great single issues lately, many of them just today. The Norman end scene was amazing, but the Steve/Hand and Thor/Ares' son were both really special, too.

costello
05-13-2010, 03:32 AM
(Shh, he's fictional.)

This was one of the best single issues I've read in a long time—and I've read a lot of great single issues lately, many of them just today. The Norman end scene was amazing, but the Steve/Hand and Thor/Ares' son were both really special, too.

I know. Just like you enjoyed the scenes you mentioned above, I wasn't happy with the scene at the beginning of the book. But it wasn't because of the writing or anything like that, it's because of the character. So it was because of the writer, but I'm not criticizing Marvel making Nick Fury a dick... I like that he's a dick. But... Oh, you know what I mean.

HOOKS
05-13-2010, 04:19 AM

Heroes And Men Making Everything Right is what I came up with and am sticking to until I see otherwise.

Howlett
05-13-2010, 04:32 AM
This was a fantastic ending. Siege had an excellent ending that set up a lot of things I'm interested in seeing, but the last scene in Dark Avengers was probably the best ending to an issue I've read in a long time.

I won't lie, since Norman became a recurring character in a lot of books since leading the Thunderbolts, and then in even more books since forming H.A.M.M.E.R., I've hated him. I've pretty much always hated him. The only time I liked him was when he was worm food. But Dark Avengers made me hate him just a little less, and by the end he was downright sympathetic.

SidekicksRevenge
05-13-2010, 09:45 AM
I gotta say, thanking Warren Ellis on the last page was a classy, classy move.

ValeriaK
05-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Just one question, how can someone that can turn INTANGIBLE (aka Karla Sofen) be taken down by a punch from Iron Man? She should've escaped...

Foolish Mortal
05-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Just one question, how can someone that can turn INTANGIBLE (aka Karla Sofen) be taken down by a punch from Iron Man? She should've escaped...
She was concentrating her powers on flying. She clearly didn't see Iron Man coming at her.

THWIP!
05-13-2010, 05:50 PM
I loved the way this ended. Sad to see the book go.

Slewo.O
05-13-2010, 05:56 PM
I loved the way this ended. Sad to see the book go.

Same here. Also yes you'd think Ms Marvel woulda been more focused on staying intangible instead of getting knocked unconcious by old Iron Man armor.

Slewo.O
05-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Also I read on Bleedingcool this issue had Harry Osborn in it and took place from his perspective. What happened to that?

SpiderPrime
05-13-2010, 06:12 PM
This book was tremendous, I'm very sad to see it go. In particular, Mike Deodato is a monster. It's hard to believe that this is the same artist who drew Avengers #400 back in the day... I mean that was great, I'm def a fan, but his T-bolts/Dark Avengers style is just other-worldly.

So about the Sentry... Was Norman right? Was he indeed the Angel of Death? That'd be cool with me.

totalsellout
05-16-2010, 09:29 AM
great end to a great series. classy move with the thanking of ellis. loved norm's ending, someday cheney and bush should be locked in a cell like that. this series is going to go down as shockingly important for marvel continuity ( sentry stuff, norman stuff, government stuff).

loved deo's art, but i felt the colorist used a little too much of the colored inking technique. i still like my funny book characters to have a nice, neat black outline.