PDA

View Full Version : The Official Starcraft II Thread

afroloq
05-03-2010, 05:04 PM
FInally it's about to be released (http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/long-awaited-starcraft-ii-in-stores-july-27/1398084)

Stark Raving
05-03-2010, 05:25 PM
So if you're planning to invade South Korea, July 27th would be a good day to do it. :D

Kirblar
05-03-2010, 07:42 PM
I just found out today that I have a Beta invite.

From March 6th.

Oops.

DC Camel
05-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Gamestop and Amazon are giving out beta invites for preordering as well. I get my ass handed to me most matches from earlier beta testers. Ive only one like 2 out of 10 matches.

mike black
05-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I just found out today that I have a Beta invite.

From March 6th.

Oops.

:rofl:

Kirblar
05-03-2010, 07:52 PM
:rofl:
My warcraft account is on an old email address that i rarely use (and has a human, non-google support team) for safety purposes. I'm trying to figure out how to forward it right now.

Edit: Great, I can't. I guess I'll have to remember to check for Cataclysm Beta keys.

Dreaded Anomaly
07-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Release day!

Installing now... it takes up 12 GB. :shock:

Magnum V.I.
07-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Man...I haven't played a PC game in a long time, I am so tempted to hook up my Tower, buy the game, and play the shit out of it.

Dreaded Anomaly
07-27-2010, 05:36 PM
I finished installing, installed the patch (already a patch!), started the game and before I even got to change the graphics settings, my laptop overheated and powered off. One of the temperature sensors is reading 81°C.

So yeah, I'm going to have to let it sit for a while now just to get over the stress of installing. :lol:

The Mandarin
07-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Just started downloading it. The timer keeps floating between forty and ninety hours, so it's gonna be a while before I can play. :-(....

The Mandarin
07-27-2010, 06:12 PM
So...what's everyone's favorite race? Mine's the Zerg. I love the loathesomely organic look of everything. Also, Ultralisks are awesome! Love sending them in to EAT my enemies!

DC Camel
07-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Loving single player so far although I'm only a few missions in. It seems really polished and they really fleshed out the whole starcraft universe. I'm loving the in between mission aspect with all the different things you can interact with. I'm thinking they're going to go for a Starcraft MMORPG after diablo 3.

During beta i played mostly protoss so it's weird going back to terran in the singleplayer but I'm getting the hang of it again. We should all exchange names and get a massive game going.

Dreaded Anomaly
07-27-2010, 06:37 PM
So...what's everyone's favorite race? Mine's the Zerg. I love the loathesomely organic look of everything. Also, Ultralisks are awesome! Love sending them in to EAT my enemies!

My favorite race is probably Protoss, but I split pretty evenly between playing them and Terran. I never play Zerg, I just don't like their mechanics.

I'll post my bnet account if/when I can get the game to run stably on my laptop...

DC Camel
07-27-2010, 06:52 PM
I WOULD play zerg if I had better micro skills. They seem to benefit the most from great micro ability which I severely lack.

Maxwell
07-27-2010, 07:17 PM
En Taro Adun! My life for Aiur!

Protoss all the way, baby!

TheFalcon
07-28-2010, 02:11 AM
I wasn't really too excited about SC2, as I remember that I actually never finished the original. I've restarted with the intention of rectifying that several times. I love the story, but it seems I suck at the strategy :) So in preparation for SC2 I've restarted 1 again to go through the story again and actually finish it.

Hopefully I'll actually get through so I can play the sequel as well :)

I'm just at the last few Terran missions of the original, now and I think I have to say they're my favorite race. They're the cool space marines from Aliens and I just love the Goliath and Siege Tanks. Protoss in a good second as I like the high-tech stuff and dark templars etc. Zerg are just really annoying. Can't wait to kick Kerrigans ass when I get round to the sequel. Unfortunately I have to help her conquer the galaxy first :mad:

I finished installing, installed the patch (already a patch!), started the game and before I even got to change the graphics settings, my laptop overheated and powered off. One of the temperature sensors is reading 81°C.

So yeah, I'm going to have to let it sit for a while now just to get over the stress of installing. :lol:

There's a known issue with overheating, which could be causing this problem for you. Take a look here: http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/27/starcraft-ii-tech-support-2/

Good & Evil
07-28-2010, 03:58 AM
Installed and playing within 20 minutes on the desktop. Awesome single player so far. Saving multiplayer until I have a better handle on tactics, been a while since I played an RTS game.

afroloq
07-28-2010, 04:30 AM
I heard that there is an issue with no LAN play...how big of an issue is this?

TheFalcon
07-28-2010, 04:45 AM

From what I heard there is no LAN play. All multiplayer has to go via internet and the battle.net servers. So the seriousness of the issue depends on your internet speed and the server load I suppose.

Dreaded Anomaly
07-28-2010, 06:50 AM
There's a known issue with overheating, which could be causing this problem for you. Take a look here: http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/27/starcraft-ii-tech-support-2/

Thanks for the tip! I will try that out tonight. :)

I don't think it will be much of an issue for me, my friends and I usually played over bnet anyway. Supposedly they're going to patch in some sort of limited tournament LAN support at a later date, and I imagine when that happens it'll be a matter of hours before someone hacks it to enable full LAN support.

Kirblar
07-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Honestly, the no-LAN thing is probably an anti-piracy measure at this point to force people to buy their copies legit.

Dreaded Anomaly
07-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Honestly, the no-LAN thing is probably an anti-piracy measure at this point to force people to buy their copies legit.

That's definitely what it is.

Dreaded Anomaly
07-28-2010, 06:44 PM
So I tried the frameratecap tip, and even with that and all of the graphics settings put on low, viewing the User Interface tutorial sent one of my CPUs to 87°C and another temperature sensor to 95°C.

JoeE
07-28-2010, 06:48 PM
The pirates are going to figure out a way around the LAN thing pretty fast. That's such an integral part of Starcraft play.

I'm tempted to jump on the bandwagon - I tried playing online 12 years ago and I was the WORST STARCRAFT PLAYER EVER. RTS games really hate me.

The Mandarin
07-28-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm up to 72% downloaded! Just 11 hours to go. Yup. Eleven hours. Down to a mere eleven hours.

I should have just gone to fuckin' Wal-mart.

Kirblar
07-28-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm up to 72% downloaded! Just 11 hours to go. Yup. Eleven hours. Down to a mere eleven hours.

I should have just gone to fuckin' Wal-mart.
DSL? (Ouch)

cmoney
07-29-2010, 02:23 AM
I'm supposedly getting this for my birthday in a couple weeks. Apprehensive about my computer handling it. I can feel it slowing down in its old age. :)

Jason California
07-29-2010, 03:16 PM
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty GPU & CPU Performance

It's been more than a decade since the original StarCraft was released, but unlike a wide majority of the titles released in this time frame, the game never really faded away and throughout the years remained the benchmark of what a well-conceived real-time strategy game should be. For that reason StarCraft II needs no introduction. This sequel has been in the making for what seems like forever, although it was only officially announced in 2007. One way or another, the delays (http://www.techspot.com/news/35729-starcraft-2-release-pushed-back-until-2010.html) do not seem to have discouraged anyone from wanting to play the game, and if anything, it has made us more desperate to get a taste of it.
On usual TechSpot fashion, now with the game out in stores we are taking an in-depth look at how your gaming system will handle StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. We have tested a huge range of graphics cards using three different resolutions and an equal number of visual quality presets. In addition, we have evaluated CPU scaling testing AMD and Intel CPUs of current and previous generations.

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/305/images/sc2-1p.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%280%29;) Devoted RTS gamers got their first taste of StarCraft II earlier this year when the closed beta (http://www.techspot.com/news/37945-blizzard-launches-closed-beta-of-starcraft-ii.html) took off. Those that missed the boat had to fight for access keys on eBay with many selling for as much as $400 each even though the beta was only meant to last three months, which later turned into five. In that interval Blizzard cranked out a whopping 18 patches while also providing access to the Galaxy map editor.
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty has now been available for two days, overwhelming digital distribution servers. In fact, by now we've heard numerous stories of people feeling more comfortable driving to the nearest store to pick up a copy than waiting for the 7+ gigabyte download to complete and activate. Meanwhile, we don't doubt true StarCraft fanatics have had their copy pre-ordered years in advance, in certain cases forking over a hundred bucks for the Collector's Edition (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002I0JMB8/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&condition=all).
StarCraft II marks the return of the three races from the original game: Protoss, Terran, and Zerg. This first installment only features the Terran campaign, with two planned expansion packs “Heart of the Swarm” and “Legacy of the Void” which will allow gamers to play the Zerg and Protoss campaigns.

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/305/images/sc2-2p.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%280%29;) However, most will purchase StarCraft II for its multiplayer aspect. The new competitive ladder system for ranked games works very well and does a pretty good job of matching players with similar skill levels together. Furthermore, it also makes jumping into a game extremely quick and easy whether you prefer a 1v1 or 4v4 game, the system works very well.
Looking at the performance aspect of the game, you can expect it to vary greatly from 1v1 matches to 3v3 and 4v4 as the maps are larger, there are more players, and therefore many more units. We favored the more demanding scenario on multiplayer just to be on the safe side when choosing the right hardware to run StarCraft II. On the next page we have detailed our testing methodology (http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page2.html) for putting this article together, and right after that we have posted a couple sample images (http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page3.html) for comparing the three tested visual quality presets.

More in link

http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/

Ashwin Pande
08-03-2010, 08:41 PM
It's running pretty decently on my crummy Dell laptop. I'm running it at the lowest resolution (1024x768) and all the graphic options are set to Medium. It's working smoothly AND looking pretty good. The graphical bells and whistles are gone but it's playable and fast.

And I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Story moves along rather quickly. On Casual difficulty it's probably a bit too easy. I can wipe out entire zerg bases with just a handful of marines and medics but it's fun too. Love the way they're using cinematics and in-game cut-scenes.

Ashwin Pande
08-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Am I the only one playing this? Did no one else play this game? How is no one talking about it? It's fucking amazing!

TheFalcon
08-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Am I the only one playing this? Did no one else play this game? How is no one talking about it? It's fucking amazing!

I'm still doing my replay of the original...well I'm on Brood War now, close to the end of the Protoss missions.

I should've started my replay earlier, but I didn't get inspired to do so until just a few days before Starcraft II's release. I have SCII bought and installed. It's just sitting there on my desktop using every psychic ability it has to try to make me click on that icon instead of the Brood War one. Can't wait to finally start it.

I'd recommend everyone who's playing SCII, but hasn't played the first to go back and try it. It's still a lot of fun, even though the inability to select more than 12 units at once is maddening.

DC Camel
08-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Three days and no comments. This game deserves better. Everyone needs to hurry up and beat single player so we can have a Benbo 4v4 or FFA.

Kirblar
08-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Starcraft really isn't a very social experience. :lol:

DC Camel
08-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Speaking of not being social that reminded me of this vid I saw I thought was pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CatSUg0KyAM

Dan-C
08-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Its been sold out the last 2 times I went to Best Buy. And now that I have a $15 credit there, I don't really want to buy it anywhere else.

Dreaded Anomaly
08-10-2010, 11:17 PM
After getting a can of compressed air and blowing the dust out of my vents, and reducing to 1024x768, I have managed to keep my CPU from going above 73°C while playing.

Starcraft really isn't a very social experience. :lol:

I just played a bunch of multiplayer with my friends while we were all sitting on Skype, which does make it a fairly social experience. Also, this just in: I'm not very good. :lol:

Martin J
08-11-2010, 03:43 AM
Three days and no comments. This game deserves better. Everyone needs to hurry up and beat single player so we can have a Benbo 4v4 or FFA.

Well it is a good game hurt by being region specific.

DC Camel
08-11-2010, 04:22 AM
After getting a can of compressed air and blowing the dust out of my vents, and reducing to 1024x768, I have managed to keep my CPU from going above 73°C while playing.

I haven't been getting overheating problems but I read that adding a few lines to a file helps. Let me copy/paste it.

add the following lines to your "Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt" file:

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

Dreaded Anomaly
08-11-2010, 10:40 AM
I haven't been getting overheating problems but I read that adding a few lines to a file helps. Let me copy/paste it.

add the following lines to your "Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt" file:

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

Yeah, I already did that. My graphics card is doing fine, it's the CPU that's the problem. I probably need to have dust cleaned out of my heat sink, but the laptop is still under warranty so I'm not going to try it myself.

cmoney
08-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Alright guys, I finally got this game. Installed it, was ready to play ... requires a patch download. OK, no sweat ... but it won't download. I hit OK and it just keeps telling me over and over that I need the patch without actually starting the download. Any ideas?

EDIT: Seems to have just been server issues. I kept retrying and it eventually worked...

EDIT AGAIN: And now I can't connect to Battle.net to authenticate my key. Cool.

Patrick King
08-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Went to Gamestop and picked it up the other day, but I've been replaying the original to reacquaint myself with it. I finally finished the Protoss campaign this afternoon, installed SC2, and played it for the last hour or so. It's just a damn good game, I love how cinematic it is, such as the in-mission cutscenes and stuff. I also like how the game has much more of a cowboys-in-space feel than a rednecks-in-space like the first one.

TheFalcon
08-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Went to Gamestop and picked it up the other day, but I've been replaying the original to reacquaint myself with it. I finally finished the Protoss campaign this afternoon, installed SC2, and played it for the last hour or so. It's just a damn good game, I love how cinematic it is, such as the in-mission cutscenes and stuff. I also like how the game has much more of a cowboys-in-space feel than a rednecks-in-space like the first one.

No Brood War?

I'm almost finished with BW, just 4 Zerg missions left. It's fun to see that in BW they started experimenting with the missions having optional objectives. There was one mission that had 2 alternate versions depending on what you did the mission before. There's a secret mission as well if you finish one of the regulars in under 25 min. I haven't started up SCII at all yet, but read a couple of reviews and it sounds like they've taken that much further there, which will be interesting to see.

cmoney
08-15-2010, 09:21 AM

It's a lot of fun. I'm not a particularly accomplished player. I play on Normal and after beating eight missions I'm pretty much to where I can't even hope of beating missions without at least a couple tries now. Are there more pre-rendered cinematics in the game, or just beginning and end? The in-game cuts scenes are nice to look at, but the pre-rendered stuff is where it's at.

cmoney
08-15-2010, 09:22 AM
No Brood War?

I'm almost finished with BW, just 4 Zerg missions left. It's fun to see that in BW they started experimenting with the missions having optional objectives. There was one mission that had 2 alternate versions depending on what you did the mission before. There's a secret mission as well if you finish one of the regulars in under 25 min. I haven't started up SCII at all yet, but read a couple of reviews and it sounds like they've taken that much further there, which will be interesting to see.

Yeah, there are a bunch of optional quests in the main missions. They started up a separate upgrade situation where you can earn points to purchase upgrades for various units, gain abilities, etc.

Patrick King
08-15-2010, 09:24 AM
No Brood War?

I'll probably play Brood War before too long, I was just really anxious to finish up the original and play 2.

Dood Lee
08-15-2010, 10:28 AM
I'll probably play Brood War before too long, I was just really anxious to finish up the original and play 2.

Starcraft 2 continues the story right after Brood War. So hopefully you know the storyline.

Patrick King
08-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Starcraft 2 continues the story right after Brood War. So hopefully you know the storyline.
Yeah, I read the wiki article to catch myself up. It wasn't terribly well-written, but I think I got the gist of it.

cmoney
08-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Finally got to see the first pre-rendered cinematic of the game since the opening. Holy shit, that was so cool.

Daniel K.
09-21-2010, 10:47 AM
So who else logged in today to find out that due to servers being down they couldn't even play single player?

Daniel K.
05-31-2011, 03:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRsFxfOEZa0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZm2gqihIo&feature=player_embedded

Ashwin Pande
07-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Finished it tonight. Great game but so annoying that the follow-up won't come out until next year.

Daniel K.
11-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Anyone still playing? I picked it up again after seeing some of the awesome new HotS videos. I've been laddering a lot lately and I think I'm due for a promotion soon. I'd love to get a Benbo game going if anyone's up for it.