PDA

View Full Version : Driving to NYC -- need parking/transit suggestions

SMACK!
04-14-2010, 07:45 AM
I am taking a quick day trip to New York and need some suggestions as to where to safely and conveniently park my car. I'd like to park it outside the city and take the subway in if at all possible. What time do the trains shut down? How much is cab fare out of the city to parking garages?

Evan the Shaggy
04-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Trains are open 24/7. Don't know about the rest.

SMACK!
04-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Thats good to know.

Evan the Shaggy
04-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Thats good to know.

You just gotta watch out for Mole men after 3 AM.

Jef UK
04-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Trains don't stop running. There is free street parking in Brooklyn. Atlantic Center has about every train there is. So google map Atlantic Center, BK. Read parking signs closely, and beware of alternate side of the street parking.

SMACK!
04-14-2010, 08:11 AM
After looking at google maps, I'd rather not drive through Manhattan to get to Brooklyn. I'm basically taking 80 to 280. Is there a way to get there without driving in the city? Is driving in the city that bad? Should I just park in New Jersey?

Jef UK
04-14-2010, 08:18 AM
After looking at google maps, I'd rather not drive through Manhattan to get to Brooklyn. I'm basically taking 80 to 280. Is there a way to get there without driving in the city? Is driving in the city that bad? Should I just park in New Jersey?

If you're coming from the New Jersey Turnpike you take the Verrazano Bridge to 278 to get to BK and exit Atlantic Ave.

I have no idea about Jersey City.

So ends the extent of my knowledge on this subject.

Driving in the City is nerve wracking during the day, and you can wait forever at tunnel entrances and the like. But no, it's not that bad. Maybe I"m used to it.

SMACK!
04-14-2010, 08:20 AM
If you're coming from the New Jersey Turnpike you take the Verrazano Bridge to 278 to get to BK and exit Atlantic Ave.

I have no idea about Jersey City.

So ends the extent of my knowledge on this subject.

Driving in the City is nerve wracking during the day, and you can wait forever at tunnel entrances and the like. But no, it's not that bad. Maybe I"m used to it.

I'll be getting there around 6:00 am. Is that early for rush hour?

Jef UK
04-14-2010, 08:21 AM
I'll be getting there around 6:00 am. Is that early for rush hour?

I don't know.

DAVE
04-14-2010, 08:22 AM
Just park in the city. It's not so bad to drive in. It's expensive if you can't find street parking, but that's it.

PeterSparker
04-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Just park in the city. It's not so bad to drive in. It's expensive if you can't find street parking, but that's it.

I was gonna say the same thing. Might depend on where you're going in the city, but for the most part you're probably just as well to do this. Your car will be fine parked on most streets during the day, that shouldn't be a problem. A lot or garage could be a little pricey but will save you having to switch to a train or a ferry or whatever. Its probably a more reasonable experience than you're expecting.

If you want to avoid any trafiic coming in or out of the city at rush hour then maybe you should park in Jersey, but if its real early, during the afternoon, or night won't be too bad. Rush hours, yeah, you'll be sitting there a while.

What part of town are you going to?

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
04-14-2010, 08:37 AM
just park in a garage in manhattan and safe yourself a shitload of time.

Otherwise, you can park for $10 in hoboken and take the path train. If you're coming from anywhere other than eastern long island, parking in Brooklyn or queens makes less than no sense.

DaGetHighKnight
04-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Park in the City. Driving in Manhattan isnt as bad as people say, Its hard to get over 30mph without having to slow down. Downtown Parking is cheaper than midtown.

SMACK!
04-14-2010, 08:55 AM
cool. I was thinking of dropping my car off in Hoboken and taking the Path into the city. Is there parking at the Hoboken terminal, or do I have to go to a nearby garage? Does the Path run all night too?

As far as parking on the street in Manhattan, how safe is that? Are there meters? I don't want to have to feed a meter all day. Is 6:00 am early enough? I've heard about people parking on the wrong side of the street on the wrong day and getting towed.

DAVE
04-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Just watch out for pimps and C.H.U.Ds.

PeterSparker
04-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Park in the City. Driving in Manhattan isnt as bad as people say, Its hard to get over 30mph without having to slow down.
You've never seen my skillz in Project Gotham Racing yo!

PeterSparker
04-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Just watch out for pimps and C.H.U.Ds.
Yeah, I was gonna say, make sure you're packing heat or at least carrying a baseball bat if you are crazy enough to drive in to the city!!

DAVE
04-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I was gonna say, make sure you're packing heat or at least carrying a baseball bat if you are crazy enough to drive in to the city!!

For 200 bucks I'll stay with him all day and protect him!

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
04-14-2010, 09:48 AM
cool. I was thinking of dropping my car off in Hoboken and taking the Path into the city. Is there parking at the Hoboken terminal, or do I have to go to a nearby garage? Does the Path run all night too?

As far as parking on the street in Manhattan, how safe is that? Are there meters? I don't want to have to feed a meter all day. Is 6:00 am early enough? I've heard about people parking on the wrong side of the street on the wrong day and getting towed.

haha, you will have to go to a garage. Even if there is parking it'll be gone. You're going to have to go to a garage no matter where you go.

Jef UK
04-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Manhattan parking garages always seem really expensive.

PeterSparker
04-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Manhattan parking garages always seem really expensive.
If we knew the specific nieghborhood or part of town he'd be in, might be able to tell him where there's a cheaper lot, or if parking in the street would be fine. (which most likely it is)

SMACK!
04-14-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm going to be in SoHo.

Thanks for all of the help!

PeterSparker
04-14-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm going to be in SoHo.

Thanks for all of the help!

Dude, if you can find a place on the street in SoHo, you're fine. They'll have signs posted for alternate side parking too, so don't sweat that. You'll have to pay a meter maybe, or buy a parking slip from one of the machines on the block, but you'll be fine down there. If you pay for a garage and its pricey its still much better than coming in on the subway or ferry from somewhere further out.

DAVE
04-14-2010, 02:01 PM
What're you doing in SoHo? Going shopping in expensive boutiques?

SMACK!
04-14-2010, 02:11 PM
A friend has a gallery opening Thursday night.