PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon?

HeroBoy
04-13-2010, 10:33 AM
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/17257.html

What does this mean for Spectacular Spider-Man and BIG congrats to Bendis!

Evan the Shaggy
04-13-2010, 10:34 AM
*Sigh* I guess this is the nail in the coffin for the Spectacular one.

Jim T.
04-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Is Bendis even involved in this? The article on Newsarama didn't really seem to indicate that.

cmoney
04-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Ah, crap. I knew this was gonna happen. Spectacular was the best Marvel toon yet, and look how it was treated.

HeroBoy
04-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Is Bendis even involved in this? The article on Newsarama didn't really seem to indicate that.

Considering it seems like it is directly tied to Ultimate, it may not follow stories, but I bet Bendis will get some pay outta this, hence the congrats.

Plus, for a title people said wouldn't last at all is now getting an animated series---well that's pretty damn great.

But yeah, I mourn the loss of Spectacular Spider-Man, it was great, and I do mean great, while it lasted.

Marcdachamp
04-13-2010, 10:41 AM
This is why I'm kind of "over" Spider-Man cartoons.

cmoney
04-13-2010, 10:45 AM
This is why I'm kind of "over" Spider-Man cartoons.

Well, I'm jaded all to hell now too. :) Although it could be neat if this is "in-continuity" with the Avengers toon.

HoldFastNow
04-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Man, that's a huge bummer then that Spectacular is over :(

Congrats to bendis though and hopefully this one is as good as Spectacular.

Stupendous Man
04-13-2010, 10:48 AM
*Sigh* I guess this is the nail in the coffin for the Spectacular one.

That's a damn shame. That was a great cartoon.

bartleby
04-13-2010, 10:49 AM
So, is this cartoon going to be based on the same stories that the next Spider-Man movie is going to be based on? It seems like that would take away some of the hype from the movie with this starting the year before its release.

jamestolliver
04-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Poor Spectacular. :(

Marcdachamp
04-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Well, I'm jaded all to hell now too. :) Although it could be neat if this is "in-continuity" with the Avengers toon.

Yeah, until the "next" one. I know you guys like Spectacular, but I didn't really give it a chance. I was considering picking up the Seasons, but now I'm kind of less interested than before.

cmoney
04-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Yeah, until the "next" one. I know you guys like Spectacular, but I didn't really give it a chance. I was considering picking up the Seasons, but now I'm kind of less interested than before.

Well, I'd have yelled at you to buy up all the DVDs you could to encourage a third season, but that hope has effectively been sliced off at the knees, so do whatever you want. :(

:)

Dr. Chaos
04-13-2010, 10:56 AM
So, is this cartoon going to be based on the same stories that the next Spider-Man movie is going to be based on? It seems like that would take away some of the hype from the movie with this starting the year before its release.
I'm sure it would if the movie going public gave a shit. They really don't seem to care about the Spider-Man cartoons too much (or comics for that matter).

Jef UK
04-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Fuck. Spectacular was amazing.

Jef UK
04-13-2010, 11:00 AM

It's not LOST or some shit. You can watch and enjoy the first two seasons for the amazing cartoons that they are. Each one has its own story arc.

Marcdachamp
04-13-2010, 11:03 AM
It's not LOST or some shit. You can watch and enjoy the first two seasons for the amazing cartoons that they are. Each one has its own story arc.

My problem with that is the fact that... I'm just sick of Spider-Man's origin constantly being retold. Couple that with the fact that the seasons haven't been released together and I find it tough to jump on the bandwagon.

cmoney
04-13-2010, 11:05 AM
My problem with that is the fact that... I'm just sick of Spider-Man's origin constantly being retold. Couple that with the fact that the seasons haven't been released together and I find it tough to jump on the bandwagon.

They skipped his origin in Spectacular until it was handled very well closer to the end of season one. As far as season releases: season one has a full-season release, and I expect (well, now HOPE, I guess, given this news) that season two will get its own this summer.

HoldFastNow
04-13-2010, 11:10 AM

Disney owns the tv/cartoon rights, right? I would venture that they wouldn't have a problem taking the hype out of the movie, since that's Sony.

Evan the Shaggy
04-13-2010, 11:12 AM
They skipped his origin in Spectacular until it was handled very well closer to the end of season one. As far as season releases: season one has a full-season release, and I expect (well, now HOPE, I guess, given this news) that season two will get its own this summer.

Man those individual episodes at the end of the first season felt like they were two hour long movies, so much happened in each one. Such great story telling.

Jef UK
04-13-2010, 11:16 AM

Spectacular skips it, except in a flashback later.

But I know what you're saying about that damn origin story over and over. I hope the new movie doesn't bother with it.

bartleby
04-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Disney owns the tv/cartoon rights, right? I would venture that they wouldn't have a problem taking the hype out of the movie, since that's Sony.

Good point. Can't believe I didn't think about that.

Dr. Chaos
04-13-2010, 11:19 AM
While theres a part of me thats sad to see this series go because alot of people seemed to like it, I can say I definitely won't miss the art style.

I love cartoons that look unashamedly cartoonish, I'm a huge fan of Chris Bachalo's crazy visuals but there was just something unrefined about Spectacular's look that really bugged me.

Supreme Convoy
04-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Great news. Congratulations Bendis.

Marcdachamp
04-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Spectacular skips it, except in a flashback later.

But I know what you're saying about that damn origin story over and over. I hope the new movie doesn't bother with it.

Don't get me wrong. I love his origin. LOVE it. It's one of the best in comics. It's simple, yet poetic. It's timeless, yet very much a product of its time (it has a very "Twilight Zone" quality)... I'm just sick of how many interpretations it's received. And this is no slight to Bendis, as I love USM.

You know what I want to see? Something actually bold. I love that Spider-Man Noir is in the new Spidey game, and I haven't even read it yet! But it's a different choice. How bold would it be for a studio to say "Screw treading the same ground!" and do a Spider-Man Noir flick? Or an Adult Swim show?

Hell, what about Spider-Girl? You still have the teenage aspect, but you can bring in a whole new spin. That'd make a great cartoon.

HeroBoy
04-13-2010, 11:36 AM
While theres a part of me thats sad to see this series go because alot of people seemed to like it, I can say I definitely won't miss the art style.

I love cartoons that look unashamedly cartoonish, I'm a huge fan of Chris Bachalo's crazy visuals but there was just something unrefined about Spectacular's look that really bugged me.

Art is art, and everyones eye for it is different, but having said that, I could not disagree with you more.

Cheeks designs really made it flow, and by far my favorite looking Spidey in the media. I was saddened that not nearly enough merch came out with the Spectacular Spidey Likeness on it.

IMHO, this art style was to spidey what Timms was to Batman's, if that makes sense.

I can only imagine what style the new one will use...

dougmac
04-13-2010, 11:37 AM
They should have just kept Spectacular going. In was very much in the vein of Ultimate anyway without being a direct adaption. Me and the kids all loved it.

evilgenius
04-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Don't get me wrong. I love his origin. LOVE it. It's one of the best in comics. It's simple, yet poetic. It's timeless, yet very much a product of its time (it has a very "Twilight Zone" quality)... I'm just sick of how many interpretations it's received. And this is no slight to Bendis, as I love USM.

You know what I want to see? Something actually bold. I love that Spider-Man Noir is in the new Spidey game, and I haven't even read it yet! But it's a different choice. How bold would it be for a studio to say "Screw treading the same ground!" and do a Spider-Man Noir flick? Or an Adult Swim show?

Hell, what about Spider-Girl? You still have the teenage aspect, but you can bring in a whole new spin. That'd make a great cartoon.

You SHOULD read Noir. right quick! Some people are giving it bad reviews but I personally love it :)

And I really liked Spectacular for the most part :( Yet another one of these shows that isn't allowed to end properly...

Joe Kalicki
04-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Spectacular Spider-Man was a really good show I've been meaning to catch up on, and I've already read Ultimate Spider-Man, so. . . this sucks.

Doug
04-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Disney XD?

I want a crossover with Phineas and Ferb.

"Hey Peter, whatcha doooo in?"

Jef UK
04-13-2010, 11:42 AM
You SHOULD read Noir. right quick! Some people are giving it bad reviews but I personally love it :)

I personally thought it was so bad I couldn't finish the second chapter. And I got the book for free, even.

Marcdachamp
04-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Depending on how many trades I swoop up in July's solicits, I might add it to my next DCBS order.

Jef UK
04-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Unrefined? That doesn't describe Spectacular's look in the slightest.

BENDIS!
04-13-2010, 11:58 AM
don't have much usm cartoon news. not involved with it at the moment. working on powers tv and fire movie for universal. and comics :)

but i do know the pitch and it sounds pretty, pretty , pretty cool. (larry david voice)

Doug
04-13-2010, 12:03 PM
don't have much usm cartoon news. not involved with it at the moment. working on powers tv and fire movie for universal. and comics :)

but i do know the pitch and it sounds pretty, pretty , pretty cool. (larry david voice)

I will take this post and start a rumor that Larry David is doing the voice of Jameson.

HeroBoy
04-13-2010, 12:09 PM
I will take this post and start a rumor that Larry David is doing the voice of Jameson.

"The whole Parker-Spider-Man balance is askew!"

Dr. Chaos
04-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Unrefined? That doesn't describe Spectacular's look in the slightest.
You're right. I meant to say cheap, ugly and blocky. ;)

Jef UK
04-13-2010, 12:13 PM

Riiiiigggghhhhht.

Zac Goyette
04-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Sad to Spectacular go, but I am curious to see what Ultimate Spider-Man will look like.

cmoney
04-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Sad to Spectacular go, but I am curious to see what Ultimate Spider-Man will look like.

Hopefully not as bland as Wolverine and the X-Men or the Marvel DTV movies.

jamestolliver
04-13-2010, 12:21 PM

:crazy:

Zac Goyette
04-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Hopefully not as bland as Wolverine and the X-Men or the Marvel DTV movies.

Really? I have enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men, and Marvel's animated movies have gotten better with each one. At least that is my opinion.

Weasel21385
04-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Really? I have enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men, and Marvel's animated movies have gotten better with each one. At least that is my opinion.

I loved the movies. Especially Next Avengers and Hulk Vs.

HeroBoy
04-13-2010, 12:49 PM
please, please, please just let it have its own style and not try to ape any of the Ultimate artists, thats my one request...

Marcdachamp
04-13-2010, 12:52 PM
I loved the movies. Especially Next Avengers and Hulk Vs.

Planet Hulk was great, too.

evilgenius
04-13-2010, 01:21 PM
I personally thought it was so bad I couldn't finish the second chapter. And I got the book for free, even.

This annoys me :-x

But mostly since I can't get a straight answer out of people when I ask why. So, umm.. why? :lol:

And Bendis, say it ain't so! Don't tell us you're not involved in USM's tv production in the least? :(

Spidey616
04-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Guest stars including Nova? Iron Fist?

Can't wait!!!!!

Maestro
04-13-2010, 03:45 PM
I thought Spectacular was pretty similar to Ultimate Spider-Man in a lot of ways. as far as the cartoons go, I place Spectacular Spider-Man as second best only to the 90's series (which was very dear to me in my childhood)

Xorn
04-13-2010, 03:54 PM
yeah, as good as it is to have a spider-man cartoon.
it is strange that there have been like 7 versions already.
I own season one of spectacular spidey on dvd and would get the second if it's released. but those reboots are mildly annoying. would have loved a continuiation of spectacular.

but : what if this was a relaunch of the existing show just with a new title? that would cool, but I guess the chances for that are slim at best.

Mister Kyle
04-13-2010, 07:56 PM
this is pretty awesome, and i'm really happy for bendis and bagley and immonen and lafuente and everyone else involved in the USM franchise for getting their work onto the animated small screen, but it really sucks big time that we had to see Spectacular go in order to get this. At least they're replacing it with something I equally enjoyed reading in comic form.

And here's hoping that this starts building a Marvel Animated Universe with USM and the new Avengers cartoon

Len Snark
04-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Spectacular had a fantastic theme song.

cmoney
04-14-2010, 06:16 PM
I imagine the image is taken from the comics and not indicative of the show's design, but interesting shadows nonetheless:

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/content/resized/ac3f3c860f80fa3a23a036b93f778c99.jpg

Doc Ock and Green Goblin for villains, allies including Nick Fury, Iron Fist, Iron Man (?), and Nova.

Cool as all that is ... the show's got a long ways to go to convince me. Spectacular was the best animated property ever made from a Marvel property, and something like that doesn't just come along that often.

cmoney
04-14-2010, 06:20 PM

Yeah. In my opinion, they all lack personality, from the directing and design and especially to the voice acting and the writing. Like the kid in school who tries so hard to be cool that he isn't. I know I'm in the minority on this, but they're just so boring to me.

19bernardo87
04-14-2010, 06:53 PM
SSM was one of the best things Marvel had done in a long time. The show raised the bar so high, it probably looks like a dot to the other Marvel cartoons.

It's a damn shame to see it go.

HoldFastNow
04-14-2010, 07:09 PM
I like Spectacular Spider-Man a lot more than any depiction of the character outside of the comics (the movies, other cartoons, etc). Maybe Weisman will get hired on to work on this show, and if not, it could be pretty cool to see him do an arc or two on Amazing.

dougmac
04-14-2010, 08:26 PM
I like Spectacular Spider-Man a lot more than any depiction of the character outside of the comics (the movies, other cartoons, etc). Maybe Weisman will get hired on to work on this show, and if not, it could be pretty cool to see him do an arc or two on Amazing.

both are good ideas

cmoney
04-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Weisman wrote a story in a recent issue of Amazing. Can't remember which issue, but it was a Flash Thompson story. I think it was the same issue Morbius was in.

cmoney
04-14-2010, 09:24 PM
The thing about SSM was that nothing was there by accident. The show was so well put-together that Weisman even had plans for Emily Osborn, even though her appearances so far were silent. We were going to get Scorpion and Hobgoblin in season three. Even if you didn't like what they did with Kraven in his appearances, Weisman said it was all part of a larger plan. The Gang War was going to continue. We'd already seen Morris Bench, Cletus Kasady, and Miles Warren, and it was all tied together so nicely. Animated shows just aren't usually assembled with this much care, and they just tossed it out the window. It's so disappointing and frustrating.

The Hodag
04-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Spectacular had a fantastic theme song.

True!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoeOBDSgWBA

I looked it up because I've only seen an episode or two of the cartoon and couldn't remember how the intro went. The episodes I saw were pretty rockin', too - I just wasn't in a Spidey enough mood to pursue the show.

Now I feel like catching up, but my friend who loves it told me the second season ended on a cliffhanger or something. If it's for sure cancelled that's gotta be heartbreaking to hit. :cry:

The Hodag
04-14-2010, 09:33 PM
The thing about SSM was that nothing was there by accident. The show was so well put-together that Weisman even had plans for Emily Osborn, even though her appearances so far were silent. We were going to get Scorpion and Hobgoblin in season three. Even if you didn't like what they did with Kraven in his appearances, Weisman said it was all part of a larger plan. The Gang War was going to continue. We'd already seen Morris Bench, Cletus Kasady, and Miles Warren, and it was all tied together so nicely. Animated shows just aren't usually assembled with this much care, and they just tossed it out the window. It's so disappointing and frustrating.

I remember when Batman: The Animated Series was on the verge of cancellation at the end of its second season. I was so into it at the time it wasn't funny, so when the comic tie-in posted an address for a letter campaign to save it, I did my part and wrote in.

And it worked! Or something made the network turn around. They did some retooling, as I recall, but I think it got two more seasons. I don't suppose there's any chance of pulling that off with Spectacular?

Funny related story: I guess the network figured most of the people who wrote in to save the Batman cartoon were kids, and in response for the show of support I was sent an 8x10 glossy of the show's iconic image...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0b/Batman_the_Animated_Series_logo.jpg

...which was signed at the bottom:

"Thanks, Dave!

-Batman"

I still treasure it. 8-)

cmoney
04-14-2010, 09:38 PM
I remember when Batman: The Animated Series was on the verge of cancellation at the end of its second season. I was so into it at the time it wasn't funny, so when the comic tie-in posted an address for a letter campaign to save it, I did my part and wrote in.

And it worked! Or something made the network turn around. They did some retooling, as I recall, but I think it got two more seasons. I don't suppose there's any chance of pulling that off with Spectacular?

Funny related story: I guess the network figured most of the people who wrote in to save the Batman cartoon were kids, and in response for the show of support I was sent an 8x10 glossy of the show's iconic image...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0b/Batman_the_Animated_Series_logo.jpg

"Thanks, Dave!

-Batman"

I still treasure it. 8-)

It's pretty well dead, they're not gonna do two Spidey shows simultaneously. Plus, it's been a year since season two and would be another before they could even produce more episodes, not to mention it's Sony's show and Disney obviously wanted no part of that.

That Batman card is pretty cool. :)

The Hodag
04-14-2010, 09:43 PM
It's pretty well dead, they're not gonna do two Spidey shows simultaneously. Plus, it's been a year since season two and would be another before they could even produce more episodes, not to mention it's Sony's show and Disney obviously wanted no part of that.

That fuckin' sucks. Did it really end on a cliffhanger?

That Batman card is pretty cool. :)

It is!

And now that I have Batman's authentic signature, I can forge it on checks!

But I won't. I couldn't live with Batman's disappointment.

cmoney
04-14-2010, 09:46 PM
That fuckin' sucks. Did it really end on a cliffhanger?

I wouldn't say a cliffhanger, per se. It ended in such a way as to really make you want to see what would come next, and as I mentioned, there were plenty of threads that the creators planned to further explore, but the ending of season two was actually a pretty decent wrap-up of larger threads that had existed since season one.

dougmac
04-14-2010, 09:52 PM

Amen to that.

The Hodag
04-14-2010, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't say a cliffhanger, per se. It ended in such a way as to really make you want to see what would come next, and as I mentioned, there were plenty of threads that the creators planned to further explore, but the ending of season two was actually a pretty decent wrap-up of larger threads that had existed since season one.

That's good to hear. If it was a real cliffhanger I think I'd avoid it, but if it just feels like it had good momentum, I think I'll probably look into it on DVD.

Joe Kalicki
04-14-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm sure they don't care, but I have to believe nobody involved in this expected such an overwhelming negative reception.

dougmac
04-14-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm sure they don't care, but I have to believe nobody involved in this expected such an overwhelming negative reception.

I think you're right. It is still good news, but it's a shame that it comes at the expense of a truly gfreat show.

cmoney
04-15-2010, 12:08 AM
CBR's story on this points out something about the image I posted that I hadn't caught: what I took a guess at as Iron Man in the hero shadows is probably actually Ultimate Shroud.

tom daylight
04-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Doesn't this widespread "what a shame" reaction, on Bendis' OWN message board, kind of demonstrate that Marvel has made a HUGE mistake in prematurely quitting on Spectacular?

I mean, seriously, what a waste of the best ever animated interpretation of a Marvel character, bar none. One of those rare things that could unite both the fanboys and the young mainstream audience in their near-universal appreciation. And why? Could someone please explain why? Is it, as I suspect, just a bit of control freakery on the parts of Marvel's animation executives? Because if so... lame! I expect I will be buying fewer Marvel products from now on.

tom daylight
04-15-2010, 12:52 AM

No because they'll write back telling you about this new Spider-Man show they're doing and because it's Spider-Man you should enjoy it exactly the same, right? UGH...

dougmac
04-15-2010, 01:21 AM
Doesn't this widespread "what a shame" reaction, on Bendis' OWN message board, kind of demonstrate that Marvel has made a HUGE mistake in prematurely quitting on Spectacular?

I mean, seriously, what a waste of the best ever animated interpretation of a Marvel character, bar none. One of those rare things that could unite both the fanboys and the young mainstream audience in their near-universal appreciation. And why? Could someone please explain why? Is it, as I suspect, just a bit of control freakery on the parts of Marvel's animation executives? Because if so... lame! I expect I will be buying fewer Marvel products from now on.

It does show that it is too bad, but as a few people have pointed out in the thread, it is a corporate rights thing. Disney/Marvel can own this now instead of having to share with Sony. It's too bad, but it makes real world sense (for the record, just because I can see why doesn't make me like it anymore than you do)

bartleby
04-15-2010, 04:39 AM

I'm sure they're more concerned about how many kids are going to be watching this than with the reaction of a bunch of twenty- and thirtysomethings.

panco
04-15-2010, 04:57 AM
I'm sure they're more concerned about how many kids are going to be watching this than with the reaction of a bunch of twenty- and thirtysomethings.

/thread

bartleby
04-15-2010, 05:00 AM
/thread

Although I probably should have said "a bunch of twenty- and thirtysomethings who are still going to watch this anyway."

Evan the Shaggy
04-15-2010, 05:00 AM
This really sucks because Weisman had like six seasons in his head, at which point Peter would have gone to college and Weisman wanted to do darker direct to dvd movies from that point on.

This is such a damn shame.

HoldFastNow
04-15-2010, 05:55 AM
Weisman wrote a story in a recent issue of Amazing. Can't remember which issue, but it was a Flash Thompson story. I think it was the same issue Morbius was in.

oo, I'm going to have to see if my lcs still has it. Thanks for the info!

Blake Sims
04-15-2010, 05:58 AM

"Thanks, Dave!

-Batman"

I still treasure it. 8-)

Dude that would have blown my mind.

Jef UK
04-15-2010, 06:00 AM
But mostly since I can't get a straight answer out of people when I ask why. So, umm.. why? :lol:(

I thought it was corny pastiche.

Marcdachamp
04-15-2010, 06:02 AM

"Thanks, Dave!

-Batman"

I still treasure it. 8-)

Awww, man. The only thing I've ever gotten is a letter from Batman's attorney. :cry:

HeroBoy
04-15-2010, 06:10 AM
can we petition marvel to give Weisman and Cheeks a Spidey book to finish out the storylines at least?

cmoney
04-15-2010, 06:14 AM
can we petition marvel to give Weisman and Cheeks a Spidey book to finish out the storylines at least?

I'd love to see it. Or better yet DTV movies, since the series was basically broken up into DTV-length arcs anyways. We could basically get three episodes per movie. :)

tom daylight
04-18-2010, 02:14 PM
It does show that it is too bad, but as a few people have pointed out in the thread, it is a corporate rights thing. Disney/Marvel can own this now instead of having to share with Sony. It's too bad, but it makes real world sense (for the record, just because I can see why doesn't make me like it anymore than you do)

But I was under the impression that Sony had already given all of it back to Marvel.

Mister Kyle
04-19-2010, 07:46 AM

I would totally buy that!

cmoney
04-19-2010, 07:54 AM

From Tom Brevoort's FormSpring page:

" Greg Weisman and Sean Galloway on a comic continuing the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon? Good idea, yeah? :)

We talked about doing something like this a while back, but the rights issues were an impediment--and now there isn't a show to help support such a series. Greg did write most of an issue of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN recently, though."

http://www.formspring.me/TomBrevoort