PDA

View Full Version : Latest Way To Get Cancer? Turning On The Light To Go To The Bathroom

Cth
04-12-2010, 11:02 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1265277/Cancer-danger-night-time-trip-toilet.html?ITO=1490

Simply turning on a light at night for a few seconds to go to the toilet can cause changes that might lead to cancer, scientists claim.

Researchers in the UK and Israel found that when a light is turned on at night, it triggers an 'over-expression' of cells linked to the formation of cancer.

Previous research has linked an increased risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer in workers exposed to artificial light on night shifts.

But researchers said the latest research is the first that shows even short-term exposure can be linked to an increased risk of cancer.

The tests were carried out on mice at Leicester University by geneticist Professor Charalambos Kyriacou.

During the trial, a group of mice were exposed to a light for one hour. When compared with mice who had been kept in the dark, changes were found in cells in the brain responsible for the circadian clock which controls body function.

Dr Rachel Ben-Shlomo, of the University of Haifa, said in the journal Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics that people waking at night would be best advised not to turn on the light.

She said: 'We believe that any turning on of artificial light in the night has an impact on the body clock. It's a very sensitive mechanism.

'If you want to get up to go to the toilet, you should avoid reaching for the light switch. There are some plug-in lights that just glow, that are safe and you could use them as an alternative.'

She added: 'These latest findings are preliminary research and we are now looking into this area in more detail.'

Bill Nolan
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
There are some plug-in lights that just glow, that are safe and you could use them as an alternative.'

British scientists have just now discovered the existence of nightlights?

BriRedfern
04-12-2010, 11:14 AM
So, the possability of cancer or the definitive fate of having my wife kick my ass for pissing all over the floor?

*flick*

Ben
04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Talk about a fucking stretch. Science reporting at its finest :roll: Shame on that researcher for giving them that quote!

Who pees for an hour? And what is the actual EFFECT SIZE! If this increases my chances of cancer by 50%, yeah I might care. But if it's 1 or 2? Ridiculous. According to this article, they didn't even track the development of cancer in these mice. I'm too lazy to look up the original article to see how accurate that is, though.

Matt Jay
04-12-2010, 11:21 AM
This sounds like it was written by some pissed off spouses who hate having to deal with the light. Next they'll probably tell us that improperly loading the dishwasher can cause AIDS.

Doug
04-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Now when my wife get's pissed off because of the pee on the toilet seat I'll just forward her a link to this thread.

That should take care of things nicely.

Doug
04-12-2010, 11:24 AM
This sounds like it was written by some pissed off spouses who hate having to deal with the light. Next they'll probably tell us that improperly loading the dishwasher can cause AIDS.

Accidentaly drying a sweater and shrinking it can lead to Hep C.

PatrickA
04-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Maybe everything gives mice cancer.

Doug
04-12-2010, 11:26 AM

Sure blame the victims. Next thing you know someone will say the mice were asking for it.

Prime
04-12-2010, 11:27 AM
The Daily Mail Is the tabloid right wing reactionary rag.

It's kind of a joke paper over here.

Recently summed up brilliantly by this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

You can get a sample of the types of stories they do using the excellent
Daily Mail Headline Generator.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

As you can see they have also decided to neatly catagorise everything in the world into those which cause or cure cancer.

using the The (New) Daily Mail Oncological Ontology Project you can keep track of what does and doesn't

http://dailymailoncology.tumblr.com/

PatrickA
04-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Sure blame the victims. Next thing you know someone will say the mice were asking for it.

That squeaking was very provocative.

thatguyfromsyracuse
04-12-2010, 11:34 AM
What if somebody turns on the light when you're sleeping, and you don't know it! Are you getting second hand light? That's almost like murder!

Jonathan Callan
04-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Talk about a fucking stretch. Science reporting at its finest :roll: Shame on that researcher for giving them that quote!

This just in: SCIENCE says something in your house may be killing you and your children RIGHT NOW.

We'll have that story at the end of the hour. But first, a hamster driving a little boat!

leafinsectman
04-12-2010, 03:24 PM
I never turn on the lights when I wake up in the middle of the night to take a piss because it wakes me up. I just grab the iPhone and use that as a light. One time it almost fell in the fucking thing so I don't recommend it. But it works for me so whatevs.

chrisfasowned
04-12-2010, 04:09 PM
So, the possability of cancer or the definitive fate of having my wife kick my ass for pissing all over the floor?

*flick*

seriously. i'll take cancer.

Nelson
04-12-2010, 05:05 PM
I've long thought that mice can give themselves cancer, and they're just fucking with us.

Because mice are dicks.

dasNdanger
04-12-2010, 05:08 PM
News Flash: You're gonna die of something, so don't do anything...ever.

:roll:

das

Wigner's Friend
04-12-2010, 05:12 PM
News Flash: You're gonna die of something, so don't do anything...ever.

:roll:

das

35% of coronary heart disease mortality is directly related to physical inactivity.