PDA

View Full Version : Bought some packing tape and it stinks so bad - WTF?

evophile
04-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Was packing up some boxes and ran out of packing tape and went to rite aid on the corner to get some more b/c it was quickest.

they only had some house brand..and it stinks so bad! I know packing tape sometimes has and odor but this was ridiculous.

I've since tossed it about half and hour ago and I can still smell it in my room pretty bad.

This stuff isn't toxic is it?

bartleby
04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Does it smell vinegary?

A.Huerta
04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
You have 5 minutes to live.

adam_warlock_2099
04-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Are you talking about transparent packing tape, or fiber tape? If it's the transparent 'scotch' packing tape, then the silcone smell is normal. I've used many brands of packing tape working in a warehouse all these years and that seems to be the norm.

TIP
04-01-2010, 12:53 PM
http://digitallydelicious.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/tapeworms1.jpg

evophile
04-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Does it smell vinegary?

I guess that's a good description but this seems to be much more fowl. I took a wiff of it close up to see if I was imagining it and it was SO strong.

Are you talking about transparent packing tape, or fiber tape? If it's the transparent 'scotch' packing tape, then the silcone smell is normal. I've used many brands of packing tape working in a warehouse all these years and that seems to be the norm.

Transparent kind. I usually always use Scotch brand itself and the smell seems to be pretty minimal.

This Rite Aid brand thing is crazy. The smell was so strong and the fact that it lingers is annoying.

Richard Pace
04-01-2010, 01:19 PM
I guess that's a good description but this seems to be much more fowl. I took a wiff of it close up to see if I was imagining it and it was SO strong.

Not trying to be a dick, but you wanted to use "foul" to describe the smell. Fowl means bird, which that crappy tape you bought was for after all.

~R

adam_warlock_2099
04-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Transparent kind. I usually always use Scotch brand itself and the smell seems to be pretty minimal.

This Rite Aid brand thing is crazy. The smell was so strong and the fact that it lingers is annoying.

It could be the grade of polyurethane that they use for backing on the tape. If it's a low grade it will may have a different smell to it. I work with other urethanes of different kinds and all of them seem to have their own scent.

bartleby
04-01-2010, 01:47 PM

It's acetic acid. It's used in a lot of adhesive and smells like that when it interacts with oxygen.

evophile
04-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Not trying to be a dick, but you wanted to use "foul" to describe the smell. Fowl means bird, which that crappy tape you bought was for after all.

~R

Ha, my bad, you're right. I'm gonna blame it on tape trauma...yeah..

It could be the grade of polyurethane that they use for backing on the tape. If it's a low grade it will may have a different smell to it. I work with other urethanes of different kinds and all of them seem to have their own scent.

It's acetic acid. It's used in a lot of adhesive and smells like that when it interacts with oxygen.

Ah, thanks for the replies guys. I suspect the tape was probably pretty cheap stuff so the smell is even worse. After about 2 hours and some Lysol it's starting to go away a little bit.