PDA

View Full Version : Question for apartment dwellers.

HoneyDippinDan
06-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Yesterday I got a notice on my door letting me know that my lease was up in about a month and a half and the landlord wanted me to tell her if I am staying or leaving at the end of the lease. She wants me to come in and sign a new lease and my rent will go up by $25 if I stay. Now in my experience, once a lease runs out, it is expected that I be allowed to stay on a month to month basis and in fact my current lease states that. It's weird to me that I am being asked to come in and sign a new lease, as this is the first time I've been told I need to sign a new lease on an apartment I've already had a lease on. Am I getting hosed here?

I'm a bit torn on this. On one hand I think it's bullshit that I have to sign a new lease and my rent will go up. On the other hand, I looked around the internet and the paper and it seems that at the new price of $450 a month, my apartment is still considered fairly cheap. I really wasn't planning to move as my apartment is in a pretty good location, I get free cable, there is a pool here and my particular apartment has a patio. Also I checked and new people have to pay $475 a month, so it turns out they are cutting me a deal. Still, I'm a bit miffed about the situation.

Opinions?

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
06-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Do you like your apartment?

J. R. Scherer
06-29-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm jealous of your low rent.

My lease is up in August and my rent will be going up $10 to $549.00 a month. Not a big change, but I don't have anything extra paid for, nor a deck or patio.

You've got a good deal.

RyanP
06-29-2005, 03:24 PM
When I lived in an apartment and my lease was I up lived month to month. The raised my rent, but had I signed on for another year it would have been cheaper than before.

Artie Pink
06-29-2005, 03:25 PM
Well, the month-to-month thing is usually in place, even with that kinda increase. I've been living under the "month-to-month" thing for the last seven years (!).

After my first year, I do vaguely remember signing a new Month-to-Month agreement at the increased rate, and then again a couple years later when the rent went up again.

So it's probably just something that you agree to the new rate. Look it over, and mention that you agree to the new rate, but wish to be month-to-month.

So I think it's all on the up and up.

Tenants are allowed to cross off any lines of a lease they do not agree to, before signing. Make sure any line you cross off or alter is done on all copies.

Gregory
06-29-2005, 03:26 PM
I had the same experience in my first apartment, rented through a development. The lease expired, and I signed a new one with a higher rent. The last apartment I lived in, the landlords never offered me a new lease because they knew they could rent the place quickly if I left. I did, and they did. What you are experiencing isn't unusual. But you should check your copy of the lease and see when it in fact expires. They may be trying to jump ahead of the expiration, and that's not legal.

xyzzy
06-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Typically, a landlord will charge a month-to-month renter more than a long term lease renter. You probably don't need to sign a new lease, but it's pretty normal, to protect both the renter and the landlord.

TIP
06-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Everyone can come and live at the Palermo Estate.

Yep...plenty o' room in the Cape Cod-styled home.

That or outback under the Silver Maples...
T

Thudpucker
06-29-2005, 03:40 PM
That sounds normal if you are paying less than average market rent for your area. they arn't going to sign a new lease for less than they have to.

The Human Target
06-29-2005, 03:50 PM
My apartment lease is up in January, and then I can either sign a new lease and pay the same amount or go month to month and have it go up a little. If you like it and you don't have plans to move, then just stay. But I'd ask the landlord about it to be sure.

Good & Evil
06-29-2005, 03:54 PM
As someone stated, typically you pay more for a month to month than you do for a longer term lease. If you like where you are and have no plans on moving for the next year, then the lease thing is good. Even though the rent is going up sounds like you still getting a pretty good deal overall. I'd compare the new lease with the one you already have to see if there are any other changes but it sounds on the up and up.

glk
06-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Yesterday I got a notice on my door letting me know that my lease was up in about a month and a half and the landlord wanted me to tell her if I am staying or leaving at the end of the lease. She wants me to come in and sign a new lease and my rent will go up by $25 if I stay. Now in my experience, once a lease runs out, it is expected that I be allowed to stay on a month to month basis and in fact my current lease states that. It's weird to me that I am being asked to come in and sign a new lease, as this is the first time I've been told I need to sign a new lease on an apartment I've already had a lease on. Am I getting hosed here?

I'm a bit torn on this. On one hand I think it's bullshit that I have to sign a new lease and my rent will go up. On the other hand, I looked around the internet and the paper and it seems that at the new price of $450 a month, my apartment is still considered fairly cheap. I really wasn't planning to move as my apartment is in a pretty good location, I get free cable, there is a pool here and my particular apartment has a patio. Also I checked and new people have to pay $475 a month, so it turns out they are cutting me a deal. Still, I'm a bit miffed about the situation.

Opinions?

Where do you live? I pay $1,675.00 for a two-bedroom, and that's on the low-side. Most are around $1,800.00 - 2,400.00.

HoneyDippinDan
06-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Where do you live? I pay $1,675.00 for a two-bedroom, and that's on the low-side. Most are around $1,800.00 - 2,400.00.
Boise, Idaho, in a one bedroom apartment. I've seen prices from anywhere from $365 for studio apartments to $800 for a one bedroom.

HoneyDippinDan
06-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Do you like your apartment?
The apartment is decent, nothing really specail. But it's in a good location and I like that I have free cable and a pool. The only thing I really want is a dishwasher.