PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Days 7 & 8 (4th round [Elite 8])

Taxman
03-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Today

5 Butler
2 Kansas St . . . now
Salt Lake City

2 West Virginia
1 Kentucky . . . 7:05 PM ET
Syracuse

Tomorrow

6 Tennessee
5 Michigan St . . . 2:20 PM ET
Saint Louis

3 Baylor
1 Duke . . . 5:05 PM ET
Houston

Brewtown Andy
03-27-2010, 01:39 PM
So, Butler, huh?

Taxman
03-27-2010, 02:36 PM
What up with that Butler?

Cradleman
03-27-2010, 03:18 PM
So, i wonder if the analysts will give Butler any credit this time? I doubt it. people will probably talk about how tired KSU was after the two overtime game. but i think Butler has a good shot to beat either MSU or Tenn and advance to the final.

Cradleman
03-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Kentucky looks to be done

Taxman
03-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Bob Huggins is possibly a scummier figure in college basketball than Calipari. But dude can coach his ass off. Arguably, he had a hand in two Elite Eight teams this season.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Huggins has never brought sanctions down upon schools and then left them to stew like Calipari.

Also, when is Calipari going to coach his teams in the art of the free throws? Doesn't he not remember that he lost the 2008 Championship because his kids couldn't make a basic shot?

Taxman
03-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Also, when is Calipari going to coach his teams in the art of the free throws? Doesn't he not remember that he lost the 2008 Championship because his kids couldn't make a basic shot?It took more than missed free throws to choke that thing away.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Also, apparently, Kentucky's answer to shooting and 11% 3-pt. average is TO SHOOT MORE 3s.

Way to go Kentucky.

Taxman
03-27-2010, 05:27 PM
I can't believe Jerry West has a kid in college. :lol:

Also, apparently, Kentucky's answer to shooting and 11% 3-pt. average is TO SHOOT MORE 3s.

Way to go Kentucky.I liked it better when they were 0.00% for three.

They also lost the Big East (or was it C-USA?) Championship by failing to make ONE free throw out of three.C-USA

Adrian B AWESOME
03-27-2010, 05:28 PM
It took more than missed free throws to choke that thing away.

They also lost the Big East (or was it C-USA?) Championship by failing to make ONE free throw out of three.

Taxman
03-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Syracuse, New York isn't that close.

Cornell is 55 miles away, we are over 655 miles away.

Plus public school's (elementary, middle, and high) spring breaks are NEXT week.The radio said that Kentucky Fan was saving his money for Indianapolis.

RebootedCorpse
03-28-2010, 11:23 AM
This Michigan State/Tennessee game is outstanding. Just hope the Spartans do their usual turn at half-time and come out on fire.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 11:26 AM
No offense to Michigan St., because I'd like to see a "weak" Big Ten team get into the Final Four, but Tennessee has never even been to the Final Four, and new blood is always a good thing (though I will be rooting for Duke solely for my bracket, because I want to win some money). However, though I would be disappointed if Baylor won, I think it would be cool for 4 teams with one combined NCAA championship (1948 for Baylor) and, more than likely, a first-time champion would be had.

RebootedCorpse
03-28-2010, 11:28 AM
No offense to Michigan St., because I'd like to see a "weak" Big Ten team get into the Final Four, but Tennessee has never even been to the Final Four, and new blood is always a good thing (though I will be rooting for Duke solely for my bracket, because I want to win some money). However, though I would be disappointed if Baylor won, I think it would be cool for 4 teams with one combined NCAA championship (1948 for Baylor) and, more than likely, a first-time champion would be had.

New blood is for gay vampires!

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Remember when the OMG BIG EAST!!!1 was supposed to dominate this entire tournament? What happened there?

Brewtown Andy
03-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Huggins has never brought sanctions down upon schools and then left them to stew like Calipari. Yeah, they just violate state laws.

Also, when is Calipari going to coach his teams in the art of the free throws? Doesn't he not remember that he lost the 2008 Championship because his kids couldn't make a basic shot?Teams are limited to a certain amount of full team practice every week, and a lot of guys (Buzz Williams among them) think it's a waste to practice free throws with that time. That said, every guy on a team has access to the practice facility 24-7.

Cradleman
03-28-2010, 11:42 AM
If either MSU or Tenn play like this against Butler, it won't be pretty. Both teams are very sloppy with the ball and don't play great D. I'm rooting for MSU today, but they need to be more careful with the ball to beat Tenn.

Brewtown Andy
03-28-2010, 11:43 AM
They also lost the Big East (or was it C-USA?) Championship by failing to make ONE free throw out of three.And then the kid who couldn't make those entered the NBA draft and didn't get drafted.

bartleby
03-28-2010, 11:43 AM
It says a lot about Calipari that I would hold my nose and cheer for Huggins or Coach K over him.

Brewtown Andy
03-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Remember when the OMG BIG EAST!!!1 was supposed to dominate this entire tournament? What happened there?Turns out all of the top 8 teams trading wins meant that most of those teams as good as some of those wins indicated.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 11:50 AM
It says a lot about Calipari that I would hold my nose and cheer for Huggins or Coach K over him.

Huggins is a saint compared to Calipari, though both of their graduation rates are embarrassing.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Turns out all of the top 8 teams trading wins meant that most of those teams as good as some of those wins indicated.

This isn't English. :lol:

Brewtown Andy
03-28-2010, 12:00 PM
This isn't English. :lol:Oops. You leave out one "weren't" and the whole thing goes to shit. My point was I believe every team in the top 8 had shown ability to beat other top 8 teams, which meant that some/most of these teams weren't as good as the wins may have indicated.

For example, Louisville accounted for 2 of Syracuse's regular season losses, but Marquette beat Louisville by 20+.

Brewtown Andy
03-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Huggins is a saint compared to Calipari, though both of their graduation rates are embarrassing.It's hard to get more embarrassing than Huggy's ZERO percent at Cincinnati.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 12:17 PM
It's hard to get more embarrassing than Huggy's ZERO percent at Cincinnati.

I thought it was, like, 10 or so? Stats plz?

Brewtown Andy
03-28-2010, 12:27 PM
I thought it was, like, 10 or so? Stats plz?From 2006, when he got the K-State job: http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/story/bob_huggins_just_win_baby

As for academics, 27 of 95 Huggins' players graduated from Cincinnati or another university in his 16 years. That’s a 28% graduation rate overall, including those students who transferred. Huggins also had four seasons where the NCAA reported the Cincinnati men’s basketball graduation rate to be zero. Even at the time Huggins was forced to resign, again according to university officials, one of his players had been maintaining a 0.0 GPA, and another would have had a 0.0 if not for two incompletes.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 12:30 PM
From 2006, when he got the K-State job: http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/story/bob_huggins_just_win_baby

Ok, you meant for a couple of years. For some reason I thought you meant overall, which wouldn't have completely surprised me, but I was just cornfused.

RebootedCorpse
03-28-2010, 12:38 PM
MSU Final Four, mother fuckers!!

RickLM
03-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Very happy for Michigan State, including Saginaw's own Draymond Green.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 12:42 PM
I have to hate MSU (Indiana! Woooo!) but Izzo is one hell of a coach.

RebootedCorpse
03-28-2010, 01:15 PM
I have to hate MSU (Indiana! Woooo!) but Izzo is one hell of a coach.

Just be glad MSU is there to represent the Big 10.

Cradleman
03-28-2010, 01:20 PM
The chess match between Izzo and Stevens next week is gonna be amazing. Stevens is one of the best coaches in the game right now, even though he's only 33. And i would put Izzo as the #1 coach in college basketball. He's just a genius.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
03-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Just be glad MSU is there to represent the Big 10.

Soon it will be Iowa with their new coach.. no it won't. :sad:

Taxman
03-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Looks like Duke is making their move.

the_wallcrawler
03-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Izzo is the best coach in college bball. His numbers in March are insane. God I love MSU. We are so lucky to have him.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Izzo is the best coach in college bball. His numbers in March are insane. God I love MSU. We are so lucky to have him.

He's a bit of an underachiever though...I mean, only 1 championship? Come on, he's better than that.

Taxman
03-28-2010, 02:50 PM
another would have had a 0.0 if not for two incompletes. :lol:

I didn't realize that an incomplete actually improved one's GPA.
He's a bit of an underachiever though...I mean, only 1 championship? Come on, he's better than that.

He's saved himself all of the headaches Krezooski's had having to find display space for the trophies.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 02:51 PM
I really hate that I'm rooting for Duke...but money's on the line!

Taxman
03-28-2010, 03:00 PM
I really hate that I'm rooting for Duke...but money's on the line!It's starting to look like the refs may have money on the line too.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 03:03 PM
It's starting to look like the refs may have money on the line too.

Don't care. In an ideal world, Baylor would win AND I'd win money...unfortunately, can't have it both ways (though I totally had Baylor in the Elite Eight)

RickLM
03-28-2010, 03:11 PM
This broadcast pretty much encapsulates why so many people hate Duke. But it's not like Baylor is doing anything besides losing their composure and missing key shots.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 03:14 PM
This broadcast pretty much encapsulates why so many people hate Duke. But it's not like Baylor is doing anything besides losing their composure and missing key shots.

Yep. Duke's playing well and they're not doing stupid things like that unnecessary push.

I won't like, I like Coach K. quite a bit, mainly because, frankly, he does things the right way, especially when it seems very coaches do.

Taxman
03-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Dick Vital is now whining about people who don't love Duke.

Nick Spencer
03-28-2010, 03:38 PM
It has gotten to the point where people just can't ever give Duke credit for a win.

That said, they are gonna need to play better than that if they want to beat West Virginia.

Taxman
03-28-2010, 03:40 PM
I looked at my bracket today for the first time since last Friday. I had Wisconsin in the Final Four. I don't really remember Wisconsin being in the tournament any more.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Duke needs to win their Final Four game and I win both my bracket pools.

All hope is in Butler now...this state has gone berserk over it.

RebootedCorpse
03-28-2010, 04:00 PM

Well, MSU has a football program to fund as well. Duke doesn't have that problem.

RickLM
03-28-2010, 04:03 PM

The Best Quarterback Ever is also stuck on 1 championship.

bartleby
03-28-2010, 04:18 PM
It's starting to look like the refs may have money on the line too.

They may not, but CBS and the NCAA definitely do.

bartleby
03-28-2010, 04:19 PM
I won't like, I like Coach K. quite a bit, mainly because, frankly, he does things the right way, especially when it seems very coaches do.

Sure, if you ignore the whole Corey Maggette thing.

the_wallcrawler
03-28-2010, 04:41 PM
I looked at my bracket today for the first time since last Friday. I had Wisconsin in the Final Four. I don't really remember Wisconsin being in the tournament any more.Never EVER pick Wisconsin to get past the first weekend. Serial underachievers in March.

dEnny!
03-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Dick Vital is now whining about people who don't love Duke.

:sick:

dEnny!
03-28-2010, 05:14 PM
It has gotten to the point where people just can't ever give Duke credit for a win.

That said, they are gonna need to play better than that if they want to beat West Virginia.

Go Mountaineers!

Cradleman
03-28-2010, 05:52 PM
How would you rank the teams going into the Final Four? Here's where i think each team ranks.

Offense:
1. West Virginia: The most dangerous offense by far.
2. Butler: passing oriented, but very good 3 point shooters in Hayward, Mack, and Zach Hahn and a good post player in Matt Howard.
3. Michigan State: Good, but way too haphazard with the ball without their point guard
4. Duke: long stretches in both the Purdue game and the Baylor game without scoring.

Defense:
1. Butler: have held all their opponents in the tourney to under 60 points, including Syracuse and Kansas State. They are scary good.
2. Duke: Very tough, very physical defense has helped them out the last two games.
3. West Virginia: good, but gave Kentucky too many open looks at 3 that the Wildcats just couldn't knock down
4. Michigan State: gave up way too many points in the paint today against Tenn.

Overall:
1. Butler: not the best players, but the most complete team
2. West Virginia: very very dangerous
3. Duke: not a good enough offense to be better than the two above
4. Michigan State: only here because of Izzo's brilliance.

Jacques Toochay
03-28-2010, 07:43 PM

Izzo is a great coach.

But he's no K.

:D

Taxman
03-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Izzo is a great coach.

But he's no K.

:DNo, he is K At least he is the closest thing to K we have now. It is K who is no K anymore.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 07:52 PM
No, his is K At least he is the closest thing to K we have now. It is K who is no K anymore.

:mistrust: Uhhhh...

Jacques Toochay
03-28-2010, 07:55 PM
They may not, but CBS and the NCAA definitely do.

I promised myself that I'd ignore the inevitable "Duke gets all the calls" people just as I try to ignore birthers and truthers... but I'm curious. How exactly does that work? Does the CBS CEO call up the head ref and tell them to throw the game? Or does Myles Brand do that?
:roll:
And if you truly believe that such obvious rampant corruption exists, how are you even still a fan of college basketball? Are you a sadomasochist?

Also, it's priceless to see a UNC fan bitching about preferential treatment from the refs. Big time programs with hall of fame coaches often get the benefit of the doubt from refs. That's one of the big advantages of having a great coach. Is that totally fair? Probably not. Welcome to the real world.

What calls specifically are you guys talking about that "gave" the game to Duke? The charge call that Zoubek drew? That was a 50/50 call and also wasn't a game changer by any stretch.
The technical? The guy ran over from across the floor and pushed Scheyer. That doesn't deserve a technical?

Sounds like sour grapes to me.
:D

Taxman
03-28-2010, 07:55 PM
:mistrust: Uhhhh...MSU is the closest thing there is to an elite program right now, in terms of tournament performance.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 08:01 PM
MSU is the closest thing there is to an elite progran right now, in terms of tournament performance.

I'd agree with that, but Duke's pretty damn consistent. In the Sweet 16 or higher 8 out of the last 10 years. That compared to only 6 such rankings in the last decade for MSU.

Taxman
03-28-2010, 08:08 PM
I'd agree with that, but Duke's pretty damn consistent. In the Sweet 16 or higher 8 out of the last 10 years. That compared to only 6 such rankings in the last decade for MSU.Don't they have six Final Fours in 12 years? They get less attention because only one title. Duke's glory days are in the past. I doubt anyone will be able to duplicate what they did. If they managed to win this year, it is partially because it was a weak year. Same would be true for anyone who wins, but they are probably the only one who would get tagged with that.

Plus, MSU is in there as a 6 seed, while Duke has always gone down to a lower seed when they have not made the Final Four in this stretch.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Don't they have six Final Fours in 12 years? They get less attention because only one title. Duke's glory days are in the past. I doubt anyone will be able to duplicate what they did. If they managed to win this year, it is partially because it was a weak year. Same would be true for anyone who wins, but they are probably the only one who would get tagged with that.

Plus, MSU is in there as a 6 seed, while Duke has always gone down to a lower seed when they have not made the Final Four in this stretch.

5 seed

the_wallcrawler
03-28-2010, 09:31 PM
I'd agree with that, but Duke's pretty damn consistent. In the Sweet 16 or higher 8 out of the last 10 years. That compared to only 6 such rankings in the last decade for MSU.True, Duke has been consistent in making the S16. But then again, what has their average seed been during that time? I'd guess it's been high. Sure they earn that seed (I suppose we could really nitpick and argue the validity of the seeds), but I feel like there has been some underachieving there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Izzo is something like 26-3 versus lower seeded teams. I'd bet almost all of Duke's losses have been to lower seeded teams.

bartleby
03-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Somebody at Duke apparently hasn't been paying attention to the brackets for the other regions. (http://www.shopdukestores.duke.edu/ePOS/this_category=374&store=106&item_number=49988&form=shared3/gm/detail.html&design=106#)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/bartsmith/49988.jpg

Taxman
03-29-2010, 09:33 AM
somebody at duke apparently hasn't been paying attention to the brackets for the other regions. (http://www.shopdukestores.duke.edu/epos/this_category=374&store=106&item_number=49988&form=shared3/gm/detail.html&design=106#)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/bartsmith/49988.jpgwtf?

Adrian B AWESOME
03-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Please Note: For illustrative purposes only. Teams subject to change.

*Yawn*

Nick Spencer
03-29-2010, 09:54 AM
True, Duke has been consistent in making the S16. But then again, what has their average seed been during that time? I'd guess it's been high. Sure they earn that seed (I suppose we could really nitpick and argue the validity of the seeds), but I feel like there has been some underachieving there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Izzo is something like 26-3 versus lower seeded teams. I'd bet almost all of Duke's losses have been to lower seeded teams.

Right, but as you yourself note, when you're a 1 or 2 seed every year, it's kinda hard for that NOT to be the case.

MSU is a great team, Izzo is an amazing coach (especially in the tourney), but Duke is the elite team of the last 20 years for sure, and if they do win it this year, that's 4 titles in 19 seasons, plus a couple of title games and final fours, plus god knows how many Sweet Sixteens. They're still the ones to judge everyone else against, I'd argue.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Right, but as you yourself note, when you're a 1 or 2 seed every year, it's kinda hard for that NOT to be the case.

MSU is a great team, Izzo is an amazing coach (especially in the tourney), but Duke is the elite team of the last 20 years for sure, and if they do win it this year, that's 4 titles in 19 seasons, plus a couple of title games and final fours, plus god knows how many Sweet Sixteens. They're still the ones to judge everyone else against, I'd argue.

I mean, sure, neither will ever truly be an elite program like John Wooden's UCLA teams, but then again, the tournament didn't become what it is now until 1985, so looking at it from the modern era, you have to say Duke's an elite program, as is MSU and unfortunately North Carolina. MAYBE Kentucky (though I don't agree).

Nick Spencer
03-29-2010, 10:10 AM
I mean, sure, neither will ever truly be an elite program like John Wooden's UCLA teams, but then again, the tournament didn't become what it is now until 1985, so looking at it from the modern era, you have to say Duke's an elite program, as is MSU and unfortunately North Carolina. MAYBE Kentucky (though I don't agree).

Up until a couple years ago, I'd have said you could make a stronger case for UConn than UK.

dEnny!
03-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Up until a couple years ago, I'd have said you could make a stronger case for UConn than UK.

Sadly I'd have to agree from 2006-2009; the performances definitely did not meet expectations, but it seems UK is back on track so hopefully this next decade will distinguish them as the elite program.