PDA

View Full Version : New Tea-bagger crazy: The Census is evil!

RebootedCorpse
03-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Wary Michigan residents say census treads on privacy
Jennifer Chambers / The Detroit News

Holt -- With 10 questions, it's one of the shortest U.S. census forms in history. But Joan Fabiano thinks it's not short enough, saying the government is entitled to ask only one question: How many people live at a residence?

Across Michigan, people are flexing their political muscle by picking and choosing which questions they complete for the U.S. census, which was mailed to homes March 15.

"There are people who are only going to fill out what is required by the Constitution," said Fabiano, a Holt resident and organizer of Grassroots in Michigan, which seeks to promote individual liberty and limited government. "It's a privacy issue and the federal government does not need to know anything they don't have a right to."

From Grassroots in Michigan to Tea Party activists to Libertarians, groups traditionally wary of government interference in private lives are casting a cynical eye on the census. Their hesitation reflects a national mood of mistrust of Big Brother at a time when census officials say it's most critical to be cooperative, given that funding for myriad programs depends on accurate counting.

"Most people that I know, they are filling out what they want to fill out," said Emily Salvette, state chairwoman of the Libertarian Party of Michigan, who lives in Ann Arbor. "If they feel a question is intrusive, they don't answer it. It's nothing new. It's 'how do we protect our privacy?' "

Michigan rate topping U.S.
Census officials are eager to dispel privacy concerns as they work to improve return rates. Nationally, the rate of census return was at 20 percent on Thursday; in Michigan, it was at 26 percent. The numbers were far lower in the city of Detroit, which had only an 11 percent rate of return.

Detroit has several barriers to higher census participation rates, most notably a high adult illiteracy rate, said Erica Hill, coordinator for Detroit Mayor Dave Bing's office for the 2010 census.

Additionally, some are afraid the information the forms provide to the government will be shared with authorities, she said, and folks like undocumented immigrants, those past due on child support or living illegally in a rental home just don't want to be found.

"Suburban communities don't have the population of folks that we have in our areas," she added.

Census officials maintain the information collected from the questionnaire is confidential by law, cannot be used as evidence in court and is not subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act. They add that the Constitution leaves the issue of determining census content to Congress, which approves all questions.

Kim Hunter, a Detroit-based census spokesman in Michigan, said the Census Bureau asks information such as name and birthday because it allows for verification of the data if needed.

"There is nothing ominous going on here," Hunter said. "We are trying to have the count have as much integrity as it can."

Incomplete census forms are still counted in a community's initial rate of return, officials said, but after being scanned, any forms with incomplete answers would be separated and placed into a nonresponsive follow-up pile.

Hunter said those who only partially fill out their forms can expect a visit from a census enumerator between May and July. Census officials have said they will make repeated visits if necessary to obtain information from nonresponsive households.

"Eventually, someone will come knocking on the door to obtain the information," Hunter said.

There are penalties for refusing to be counted in the census, specifically a $5,000 fine. But Hunter said he doesn't think anyone will be forced into completing the questionnaire. "We try to emphasize the benefits of completing it," he said.

Some Michigan residents object to personal information being asked, such as whether one owns or rents a home, while others say the government isn't entitled to data such as name and phone numbers. Others said they are offended at the lack of choices given for race/ethnicity and are writing in the word "American."

'There are political agendas'
Census officials say data collected off the form is used only for statistical purposes and to help determine allocation of federal funds for community services, such as school lunch programs and senior citizen centers, along with new construction projects such as highways and hospitals.

"I don't want to be part of the data capture. I will not fill out my phone number, they can look that up anyway," said Glenn Clark, a Troy resident active in the Oakland County Tea Party. "This census is the most politicized ever in the nation. They have a White House staff person in charge of it. There are political agendas here."

Wendy Day, a member of the Howell school board, said a mistrust of the federal government is feeding into a movement to leave the form partially blank.

"Some people I've talked to are shocked by the questions. The Constitution requires only that you put the number of people in the household," Day said. "I think people are distrustful of the federal government and how much info they want to collect from people."

Disclosing confidential census data is a felony, punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. And all census employees swear under oath they will not disclose any information gathered by the agency.

City and county officials throughout Metro Detroit, meanwhile, have been stressing the importance of filling out the forms.

Shea Charles, city manager of Howell, said he thinks the census is critical for all communities -- and not just for allocating funds.

"It also helps us understand our demographics and overall trends in the community, which is just as important," he said. "Without knowing those things about our population, it makes it harder for us to provide services to our residents in these tough economic times. The more data we have, the better we can make decisions."

Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson, a Republican by party but moderate by most standards, has urged those in his county to complete the form for the advantages it brings -- an estimated $1,000 per resident per year for a decade -- yet he sympathizes with people who resist.

Patterson said he filled out all 10 questions and found them to be innocuous. The bottom line is the census means money for the state, the county and local programs.

"If they are disqualified for an incomplete response, I understand, but someone else is going to eat our lunch," Patterson said.

Detroit News staff writers Catherine Jun and Charles E. Ramirez contributed to this report. jchambers@detnews.com (734) 462-2289

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100326/METRO/3260386/Wary-Michigan-residents-say-census-treads-on-privacy#ixzz0jIB7NsH5

Gregory
03-26-2010, 06:19 AM
Neal Bortz is pushing this too, saying the Census asked for contact information, and he refused to answer. Because he's so hard to get a hold of, you know, being a national radio host.

afroloq
03-26-2010, 06:20 AM
awwww.....seriously? :nonono2:

Marc Lombardi
03-26-2010, 06:21 AM
They really need to find a new country for these people where they can have their own government-free utopia. Something like Batshitfuckingnutsland or Whackjobia.

Generic Poster
03-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Neal Bortz is pushing this too, saying the Census asked for contact information, and he refused to answer. Because he's so hard to get a hold of, you know, being a national radio host.

But, it doesn't ask for contact information. Plus, since they mail it to you, they already have your contact information.

Ben
03-26-2010, 06:27 AM
The things these nutjobs are against is so fucking random.

Gregory
03-26-2010, 06:30 AM
But, it doesn't ask for contact information. Plus, since they mail it to you, they already have your contact information.

I didn't fill out the form we got (my wife did), but she didn't mention it asking for an email address, as Neal claimed. Also, he said there was a community survey form he received that asked how much he paid for utilities. He objected to the plot to redistribute wealth.

Hoggie
03-26-2010, 06:31 AM
I didn't fill mine out because I heard that they are collecting DNA from everyone via the returned form and using it to build a clone army for the anti-christ.

Generic Poster
03-26-2010, 06:32 AM
I didn't fill out the form we got (my wife did), but she didn't mention it asking for an email address, as Neal claimed. Also, he said there was a community survey form he received that asked how much he paid for utilities. He objected to the plot to redistribute wealth.

I guess there might be a short and a long version, but IIRC, it asked whether I owned or rented my home, and the names, birthdays, and races of everyone living there. That's it.

chazbot
03-26-2010, 06:32 AM
"This census is the most politicized ever in the nation. They have a White House staff person in charge of it. There are political agendas here."

Like the agenda of finding out just how many people live in the damn nation?

SidekicksRevenge
03-26-2010, 06:33 AM
How do these fucktards remember to breathe?

Gregory
03-26-2010, 06:34 AM
I wonder why these people think such an evil administration would ask these questions upfront instead of looking up their credit histories for all this information. My last credit card application took longer to complete than the census form my wife opened.

edwardmblake
03-26-2010, 06:35 AM
The bottom line is the census means money for the state, the county and local programs.

Every Governor and state legislature hope that the people who don't want to fill out the form live in another state.

Hoggie
03-26-2010, 06:35 AM
I guess there might be a short and a long version, but IIRC, it asked whether I owned or rented my home, and the names, birthdays, and races of everyone living there. That's it.

2010 Census (http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php)

I thought I remembered them asking for a phone number.

Generic Poster
03-26-2010, 06:40 AM
2010 Census (http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php)

I thought I remembered them asking for a phone number.

Shows how good my memory is. Still, since my phone number is publicly listed, I don't give a shit about filling that out.

RebootedCorpse
03-26-2010, 06:45 AM
I don't remeber them asking for a phone number, either. But if they did, so fucking what? Do these morons think that if "THEY" really wanted your phone number "THEY" couldn't get it?

edwardmblake
03-26-2010, 06:50 AM
Here's the form. (http://www.census.gov/schools/pdf/2010form_info.pdf)

The phone number is in case they can't read your form. It's the same reason they advertise filling out the form. It's cheaper to have you fill out the form, or to call you if they can't read it, than sending someone to your home to get the correct info.

Brad N.
03-26-2010, 06:50 AM
Yeah, big fucking deal. They ask for your telephone number in case something you wrote isn't clear enough and they need to clarify. These people are fucking idiots. Mouthbreathing, knuckle dragging, black people hating, black helicopter coming for me and Obama is the Anti-Christ believing idiots.

This was actually something Michelle Bachman (and a ton of rightwing talkers) was advocating this summer. She was making the claim that Obama was using the census to root out conservatives and punish them for disagreeing with him.

cPol
03-26-2010, 06:58 AM
This was my first time filling out a census form. I put it off for a couple of weeks, because I figured it was going to take awhile and I'd have to scrounge together various details about myself that I don't have committed to memory.

I swear, I spent more time turning the form over and over, asking myself, "That was it? Where are the rest of the questions?" than I did actually filling it out.

bartleby
03-26-2010, 07:00 AM
This isn't really new crazy for them. They've been harping about the evils of the Census for at least a year now.

maverick-99
03-26-2010, 07:00 AM
is there no end to the Tea madness?

Martin J
03-26-2010, 07:03 AM
That's fucked up. Bet they are the same people who will complain that the amount of money given allocated by the government is reduced in there area as, well nobody lives there.

Fuck knows what they would think of the UK census from 2001 (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/pdfs/H1.pdf)

Treacle
03-26-2010, 07:25 AM
This is so bizarre to me.

Census season just happens to be tax season as well this year, which means the government already knows pretty much everything they need to know about you. Your address, how much money you make, how many kids you have, how much you donated to charity, if you contributed to your 401k, etc. etc.

Checking a few boxes on a form is nothing. Gah...people are dumb.

Ultimate Lurker
03-26-2010, 08:01 AM
I love how it has become the people's job to interpret the Constitution, instead of the government bodies the Constitution says should interpret it.

Taxman
03-26-2010, 08:03 AM
New Tea-bagger crazy: The Census is evil!I don't really think there is anything "new" about this.

RebootedCorpse
03-26-2010, 08:06 AM
I don't really think there is anything "new" about this.

The crazy or the evil?

McAfee
03-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Both/either.

Is Texas still considering secession? Cause there's plenty room there for all these nuts.

RebootedCorpse
03-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Both/either.

Is Texas still considering secession? Cause there's plenty room there for all these nuts.

From your keyboard to God's Facebook.

Gregory
Fark just posted a link to a Washington Post article (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/03/eye_opener_group_wants_souther.html?hpid=news-col-blog) on an effort to create a Confederate Southern American ethnicity via the census.

Happy Friday! With roughly one week until census forms are due, a group of Confederate rights activists is urging southerners with Confederate ancestors to declare themselves "Confederate Southern Americans" on census forms in order to qualify for national origin protection under the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Federal law makes it illegal to discriminate because of a person's birthplace, ancestry, culture or language. The South Carolina-based Southern Legal Resource Center believes that people with ancestors who were citizens of the Confederate States of America should be entitled to ethnic identity and protection since the country no longer exists.

Question 9 of the census form asks respondents to identify their race and lists White, Black/African American/Negro, American Indian, Native Alaskan, Japanese and Korean as options, among others. But it also leaves a box with 19 blank spaces for anyone who wants to write in another race not listed.

"Fill in 'Confed Southern Am.' ... This will put your Confederate nationality on the record. It's just that simple," SLRC Chief Trial Counsel Kirk D. Lyons says in a video posted on YouTube (see above) and Facebook.

Lyons continues: "We can start the process to give the southern community here in America a voice again, so that our concerns will be heard, and so that we will stop being harassed and persecuted because we are proud of our southern and Confederate ancestry." The group has defended teachers and other activists who have been fired or disciplined in other ways for refusing to remove the Confederate flag from classrooms and other public places.

If you have Confederate ancestors, would you or did you identify yourself as a Confederate Southern American? Should it be recognized as a race or ethnicity? Did you answer the race/ethnicity questions on your census form?

dasNdanger
That's fucked up. Bet they are the same people who will complain that the amount of money given allocated by the government is reduced in there area as, well nobody lives there.

Fuck knows what they would think of the UK census from 2001 (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/pdfs/H1.pdf)

Now that's a great census! :D

das

Brother Power the Gong
03-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Fark just posted a link to a Washington Post article (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/03/eye_opener_group_wants_souther.html?hpid=news-col-blog) on an effort to create a Confederate Southern American ethnicity via the census.

Happy Friday! With roughly one week until census forms are due, a group of Confederate rights activists is urging southerners with Confederate ancestors to declare themselves "Confederate Southern Americans" on census forms in order to qualify for national origin protection under the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Federal law makes it illegal to discriminate because of a person's birthplace, ancestry, culture or language. The South Carolina-based Southern Legal Resource Center believes that people with ancestors who were citizens of the Confederate States of America should be entitled to ethnic identity and protection since the country no longer exists.

Question 9 of the census form asks respondents to identify their race and lists White, Black/African American/Negro, American Indian, Native Alaskan, Japanese and Korean as options, among others. But it also leaves a box with 19 blank spaces for anyone who wants to write in another race not listed.

"Fill in 'Confed Southern Am.' ... This will put your Confederate nationality on the record. It's just that simple," SLRC Chief Trial Counsel Kirk D. Lyons says in a video posted on YouTube (see above) and Facebook.

Lyons continues: "We can start the process to give the southern community here in America a voice again, so that our concerns will be heard, and so that we will stop being harassed and persecuted because we are proud of our southern and Confederate ancestry." The group has defended teachers and other activists who have been fired or disciplined in other ways for refusing to remove the Confederate flag from classrooms and other public places.

If you have Confederate ancestors, would you or did you identify yourself as a Confederate Southern American? Should it be recognized as a race or ethnicity? Did you answer the race/ethnicity questions on your census form?

Classy.

JamesV
03-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Can I be the guy who picks what the next crazy is?

Cause really, I'm ready for the war on lentils.

MIKE D
03-26-2010, 08:32 AM

I'm down with that.

Brother Power the Gong
03-26-2010, 08:33 AM
We really should be taxing gas produced by lentils.

JamesV
03-26-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm down with that.

We really should be taxing gas produced by lentils.

Not only are you good men, but you are clearly amongst the chosen people who understand America!

DAVE
03-26-2010, 08:38 AM
At what point will they start burning witches?

MIKE D
03-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Clearly, the only course of action left to us is dump lentils into Boston Harbor. Then superheat it, and begin construction on the world's largest sourdough bread bowl.

afroloq
03-26-2010, 08:42 AM

But...did you see this?

Click here (http://slrc.sitemirror.us/site/purpose.php)

To mobilize resources both legal and non-legal in a concerted effort to attack injustice perpetrated on those unknowledgeable in the intricacies of the legal process, especially those who advocate or believe in being proud of their Southern heritage.

information
03-26-2010, 09:18 AM
The things these nutjobs are against is so fucking random.

Correct postage? Fuck you, Feds!!

RickLM
03-26-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm pissed about how they ask the questions. I filled out my wife's name, and then the first question is, is she Hispanic? And of course I started thinking about Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz and Michelle Rodriguez, and so by the time I check "No" I'm angry that I married a woman who, though beautiful in a dark Teri Hatcher kind of way, is not the spicy Latina we all secretly want.

Fuck you, Census people.

Marc Lombardi
03-26-2010, 09:42 AM
How long until idiots start flying planes into the Census Bureau buildings in Texas?

RickLM
03-26-2010, 09:52 AM
I heard from several people on Facebook that they are only answering the question about number of people, and nothing about their kids. And yet I'm sure most of them just finished their taxes, where not only do you list your kids, their birthdays, and their SS numbers, you also list your income and dozens of other invasive questions. Why is the Census bad and the 1040 is a non-issue?

I'm thinking conservatives love to make mischief. Whether its Obama's speech to school kids or health care or the Census, they need something to be pissed about.

It's going to be funny when the Census comes back and tells these people about the fines for not answering the questions in full.

Dreg
03-26-2010, 10:28 AM
The Tea Baggers are basically Stephen Colbert without the intelligence, wit, irony, or knowledge that they're just one big joke.

Treacle
03-26-2010, 10:54 AM
I heard from several people on Facebook that they are only answering the question about number of people, and nothing about their kids. And yet I'm sure most of them just finished their taxes, where not only do you list your kids, their birthdays, and their SS numbers, you also list your income and dozens of other invasive questions. Why is the Census bad and the 1040 is a non-issue?

Yeah...I just said this on page 1, guy. ;)

Taxman
03-26-2010, 10:55 AM
The crazy or the evil?Both, actually.

Stark Raving
03-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks, but we're way past the tipping point.

mario
03-26-2010, 11:00 AM
They really need to find a new country for these people where they can have their own government-free utopia. Something like Batshitfuckingnutsland or Whackjobia.

http://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/03/02/texas_republic_flagmap.jpg

Frozen Sooner
03-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Most of these fucking idiots who claim a right to privacy in the Census are the first in line to attack abortion rights under the guise that there's no enumerated right to privacy.

majorjoe23
03-26-2010, 12:04 PM

Can I suggest a slightly modified version of The Replacements "All Shook Up" for the pro-lentil theme song?

If your friends with Peas
Well then your friends with me
If you down with Peas
Well then your down with me

Mylazycat
03-26-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm pissed about how they ask the questions. I filled out my wife's name, and then the first question is, is she Hispanic? And of course I started thinking about Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz and Michelle Rodriguez, and so by the time I check "No" I'm angry that I married a woman who, though beautiful in a dark Teri Hatcher kind of way, is not the spicy Latina we all secretly want.

Fuck you, Census people.

:rofl:

Close thread.

NickT
03-26-2010, 12:29 PM
I think it's a shame that they only ask 10 questions. Just seems like a great way to find information about a country out, why not ask more but allow people to opt out of any question they choose?