PDA

View Full Version : Bought/Thought 3.24.10- Where's my Blackest Night #2?

AndrewG
03-25-2010, 06:21 AM
Didn't get through everything last night but read a bunch of books.

Nemesis- McNiven's art looks like Quitelys in some panels, to me at least. It is a great looking book. Love the design of the main character and the insanity of what he's doing is certainly interesting. It's over the top on the over the top scale and was quite enjoyable for what it was but it was too quick of a read. 9

Shuddertown- The art is solid and the story is very compelling, even if I don't know what the hell is exactly going on right now. My only big complaint is that the writer seems to like creating new curse words to be used possibly as a way to stay current/real but it becomes really glaring in context and takes me out of the book. A very good first issue though that will bring me back for more. 8.5

Tiny Titans- Always a solid read. It's not rocket science. It's not a page turner. But month after month it's a consistently entertaining read. 8

Green Lantern- My initial fears seem warranted. This has gone on too long. An issue (or two) less and it would have been an action packed tight little action horror adventure but now it seems it's running in place. The book ends with basically the same reveal as the previous issue and this one and the 20 pages in between don't really show us anything that interesting (save for the other entities touched on oh so briefly)6

Rise of Arsenal- melodrama city with art that didn't really seem up to the standards of a mini event. And they take the one thing they did right about Cry for Justice (not showing the kid's death) and show it here. Bad move. Bad comic. 2

AndrewG
03-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Nobody read comics this week? Come on, people!

TIP
03-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Title = Win!

Magnum V.I.
03-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Comics are for losers!

Secret Warriors was fantastic. I fucking love the Double Crossing, Back Stabbing, Under handed stuff Hickman has going off. The reveal or twist with one of the characters was just amazing and I did not see coming.

AndrewG
03-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Comics are for losers!

:)

Secret Warriors was fantastic. I fucking love the Double Crossing, Back Stabbing, Under handed stuff Hickman has going off. The reveal or twist with one of the characters was just amazing and I did not see coming.

I never picked up the series but I hear so many people talking about it I may go back issue hunting soon.

Magnum V.I.
03-25-2010, 06:06 PM

I never picked up the series but I hear so many people talking about it I may go back issue hunting soon.

It's a really good espionage/Nick Fury/Spy story. And the fact that it has a set ending makes me happy because even though there might be some lag in some of the issues, Hickman has an end point in mind.

Spidey616
03-25-2010, 06:26 PM
New Avengers #63

Lady Octopus! 'nuff said :) Seriously though some great character development moments with Luke/Jessica and Bobbi/Clint, can't wait to see what happens when the title is renumbered in June.

Mighty Avengers #35

I actually thought this was the best issue both Dan Slott and Khoi Pham have done for MA. "You had me at 'Screw Pym'" Plus we a shocking last page revealing the dimension Thor sent Wasp to.

Deadpool #21

As usual, Way's Deadpool is crazy fun. Still not completely sold on Hit-Monkey, but i'm willing to give the character another chance.

DAVE
03-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Secret Warriors is the most enjoyable new Marvel series I've read in a really, really long time.

Matthew Brown
03-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Have to wait for Mighty and New Avengers in the mail! ARGH.

Dude Pal
03-25-2010, 11:31 PM
I still have a few I haven't read yet, but from what I have so far...

Thor 608: Not a great issue. Not a fan of Elson's art, but Tan's art is quite enjoyable. I was hoping the Thor issues dealing with Siege would be a little more interesting, but at the moment, it has been pretty stale. 5

Deadpool 21: Hilarious. Not the best issue so far or anything, but silly and fun! I liked this Spidey/Deadpool vs Hitmonkey arc a lot! 7

Uncanny X-Men 522: Interesting twist at the end! Although, some of the latest Uncanny X-Men have just moved a little too quickly for me. I wish there would be more time for people to deal with the things that are happening, rather than just event after event happening... if that makes any sense... 7

IPeacock
03-26-2010, 04:33 AM

You are in for a treat. This is head and shoulders the best new thing to come out of Marvel in a long time. Though, it reads 1000x's better in trades or in big chunks. I think that the fact that Hickman has an end point to the series and has the story broken out to that level sometimes doesn't lend itself to the most dynamic monthly issues (and that's only once or twice) but it makes for an amazing trade read. If this series ends as good as it started, it will definitly be the high water mark for Marvel collections.

The story is about half done. I would pick up everything that's out before reading anything.

AndrewG
03-26-2010, 05:07 AM
Got through a few more:

Captain America- The storyline started off a bit weak for me but it's slowly built itself back up and this was my favorite issue since pre 600. Evil Cap could have been done in an incredibly cheesy way but Brubaker has sold this guy as a lunatic that also has a great deal of charisma that makes it easy for him to bend these people towards his will. Love what's going on with Bucky and Sam being a crucial part of Bucky's development into the role of Cap is fantastic. 9

Amazing Spider-Man- Great great art although some of the Spider-Man scenes didn't seem to have much 'pop'. I thought the non action scenes were much better but that's a bit of a problem since I want my Spider-Man to have action. The other problem is simply that there's only one Scorpion for me, and right now he's busy being a 2nd rate Venom. I did like how the Hood was brought into the book to show some consistency with what's going on in the MU at large but I'm pretty much over him, too. Can't wait for Stern and Weeks' story next week. 7

Superman- Now that Superman is back in the Superman books I'm giving them a try. We're in the middle of wrapping up the 'there's way too many Kryptonians making Superman even less special' storyline and I'm happy for it to come to an end. You like General Zod and how he has the same powers as Superman? We'll give you 100,000 of him. Since over 10,000 of em get killed off this issue alone I'm sure by the end of this we'll be left with 99,995 less Kryptonians. Braniac is still a great villain but Luthor was a bit 'off' with his thug like threats. He's smarter than that. An entertaining read that was hampered by some disjointed art. 7

Rank so far:

Nemesis- 9
Captain America- 9
Shuddertown- 8.5
Tiny Titans- 8
Superman- 7
Amazing Spider-Man- 7
Green Lantern- 6
Rise of Arsenal- 2

Bill Nolan
03-26-2010, 05:16 AM
Huge comic week for me! Two books. And two of my absolute favorites, too, so I actually went to the LCS on Wednesday.

Marvel Adventures Spider-Man #61 - This series continues to be the purest Spidey comic out there. Writer Paul Tobin has created something fantastic here. He more or less wraps up the relationship storyline which has been running in this book, setting the stage for the series relaunch next month. He's done something I didn't think possible: created a girlfriend for Spider-Man that I like more than ANY of his previous girlfriends. Chat is my favorite new Marvel character in a long time, probably since the Janet Van Dyne revamp into Giant Girl.

Tiny Titans #26 - Another top-quality issue from Balthazar and Franco. Whenever they drop a book-length tale it's always an unexpected treat, starting innocently and slowly, building to a zany climax which has me laughing out loud. THIS is what comics are all about. This right here. More, please.

hamgravy
03-26-2010, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the reviews guys - definitely going to have to pick up Secret Warriors in trade been meaning to) and want to check out Marvel Adventures Spider-Man.

Bill Nolan
03-26-2010, 05:46 AM
Start with Tobin's first issue (#53). He really finished out the series well. There might even be a digest by now. They come out quite quickly. The series was really great near the beginning when Sean McKeever was writing it, and it was OK since then with some definite highs and lows but no real direction. Tobin revamped the book, giving it some much-needed depth, with continuing sub-plots and a new supporting cast. He did the same with the Avengers over in Marvel Adventure Super Heroes.

hamgravy
03-26-2010, 05:49 AM
Start with Tobin's first issue (#53). He really finished out the series well. There might even be a digest by now. They come out quite quickly. The series was really great near the beginning when Sean McKeever was writing it, and it was OK since then with some definite highs and lows but no real direction. Tobin revamped the book, giving it some much-needed depth, with continuing sub-plots and a new supporting cast. He did the same with the Avengers over in Marvel Adventure Super Heroes.

Cool - THX!

AndrewG
03-29-2010, 06:37 AM
As per the recommendations here I picked up the first seven issues of Secret Warriors. Not bad at all. Took me awhile to get into it but by the restaurant scene when their futures are predicted I was hooked. Gonna track down the rest of the issues this week.

CPA
03-29-2010, 07:19 AM
As per the recommendations here I picked up the first seven issues of Secret Warriors. Not bad at all. Took me awhile to get into it but by the restaurant scene when their futures are predicted I was hooked. Gonna track down the rest of the issues this week.

This series is superb. The problem for me in the beginning was that the title was betraying. I thought I was reading a book about the team. I thought we would see a bunch of character development of JT or Quake. This book is really Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD. Once I realigned my expectations, I loved the book.

As for the current issue, the betrayal of Contessa is a little rough. That character has been around forever and that retcon is a bit much. I will give Hickman plenty of leeway, but it was a big surprise. I have to look up Orion, but I did not remember him off hand. One huge detail about this issue was the coding involving the release of Orion. The three letter phrase is consistent with both Strucker and Fury in earlier issues. This really makes you wonder who holds all these different entities together.