PDA

View Full Version : YOUNG ALLIES by Sean McKeever and David Baldeón

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
03-09-2010, 11:35 AM
http://i.newsarama.com/images/YOUNGALLIES_02.jpg

In June 2010, Marvel's teen-aged superheroes are coming to the forefront in a big way. Avengers Academy, a new series by Christos Gage with art by Mike McKone, is getting the teaser treatment this week. Now, the team behind Marvel's Nomad stories also gets a new ongoing series, Young Allies, and introduces a new team of villains: the Bastards of Evil.

Writer Sean McKeever and penciler David Baldeón will bring together teen hero Rikki Barnes with Araña, Gravity, Firestar, and a new Toro to make up the Young Allies team. Most of the characters will be re-introduced over the next few months leading up to the series launch, including stories by McKeever in Firestar #1 in April, and a Gravity spotlight in Age of Heroes #2, the Marvel anthology coming up in June.

Readers of the Nomad back-up stories currently running in Captain America are already familiar with how Araña and Rikki Barnes get to know each other, since the two teamed up in February. With Young Allies, the two teen girls will unite with a few other characters to form a new, youthful group of heroes who all operate in and around Manhattan.

Newsarama talked with McKeever about the new series, getting information on what the "Bastards of Evil" are all about, and why this new Toro character has such a bullish attitude.

Nrama: Sean, did the idea for Young Allies spin out of the success of the Nomad mini-series, or was it something you guys had in mind all along?

McKeever: What happened was, early on in writing the Nomad mini-series, I was researching the character and I came across the Heroes Reborn: Young Allies special that Fabian Nicieza and Mark Bagley had done back in the early '00s. I remember when those Heroes Reborn specials had originally come out, but I just wasn't plugged into what was going on with the Heroes Reborn stuff then and didn't read it.

So I picked that up and thought that was a cool idea: the "Young Allies." So I suggested to Tom Brevoort having Nomad have her own Young Allies. And part of my original Nomad pitch was to have Araña and Nomad team up, so we pushed that into the Captain America back-ups, and Araña and Nomad became the seed of what Young Allies would become. I asked for a few other characters, and I can't remember who it was that I suggested, but I suggested Nomad, Araña, Gravity, Firestar and somebody else. And I honestly can't remember who that somebody else was, but Tom Brevoort suggested Toro from the Heroes Reborn book.

Nrama: So do they actually decide to form a team?

McKeever: Not in the usual comic book definition of that word. Young Allies isn't really a team book. The idea of using the title Young Allies for me was that they really are "allies." They're all on the same side. They are all drawn together to fight against something specific, but they're not a traditional team.

Nrama: Once you got the roster together, how did you decide to approach the introduction of the characters? They're showing up in several places, aren't they?

McKeever: Yeah, the introduction of the characters started to fall into place. First, we have the Araña and Nomad team-up within the pages of the Nomad back-up story. Then Tom asked me to write a Firestar one-shot for their Women of Marvel celebration. He also asked me to write a story for Age of Heroes #2, and he suggested it be a Gravity story, or some sort of Young Allies set-up story. So I said, "Oh hell yes a Gravity story!" I wanted to write Gravity again.

Nrama: Did you know, when you started the Nomad mini-series, that it would all lead to this team-up between these characters?

McKeever: All these pieces were kind of coming together by the time Nomad started coming out. I was already very excited, obviously, but couldn't really talk about it to anybody. So I was just dropping hints in interviews and things, saying "this is just the beginning." And now that we're here, I'm excited to be able to talk about it.

Nrama: And you're working again with David Baldeón on art?

McKeever: I'm bringing David along with me from the Nomad mini-series, and he's drawing the Nomad back-ups in Captain America. He'll also be drawing the Gravity story in Age of Heroes. So it's great that he's also doing Young Allies. It gives everything a nice artistic continuity.

And David has such wonderful characterization. I know the word characterization is overused and misused, but he really does bring some wonderful "acting" to these characters. And like many of the actors I've worked with, he knows how to bring the quiet moments and the subtle moments forward in a very compelling way.

Nrama: How does it feel to return to Gravity after all these years? He's been through a lot since you first created him.

McKeever: It was really easy to get back into writing him. I mean, he's Gravity! [laughs] That's the only way I can think to say it.

But yeah, his situation has been pretty tumultuous since I last put pen to paper in a Gravity story. As he explains in his Age of Heroes story, he's died, he's come back to life, he's saved the universe, he had the world know his identity then had it magically forgotten, he's been a team leader in the Initiative, and then finally he was with the Great Lakes Initiative.

Now, he's decided he's done with all that stuff. He wants to go back to school and try to find some direction for his life without Gravity. And that's what the Age of Heroes story is about. It doesn't go quite like he plans, as usual.

Nrama: Firestar is on a very different path from these other characters right now. What's her status as we pick up her story?

McKeever: In Marvel Divas, Roberto Sacassa dealt with Angelica having breast cancer. And in my one-shot, it deals with the aftermath of that, with her still going through chemo. She's trying to decide, now that she's gotten a second lease on life, what's she going to do with it. The art's by Emma Rios, who did the Strange mini-series. It's amazing stuff. She's a terrific artist and just a perfect match for this. And that sets up Firestar's situation for Young Allies as well.

Nrama: And Toro is the only new character?

McKeever: Yeah, we don't meet him until Young Allies #1. Originally, in the Golden Age, Toro was the Human Torch sidekick character, and part of the Young Allies team with Bucky. Then I guess Fabian had the idea to use the same name but with a twist: the Toro in his Young Allies was a man-bull. This Toro we're introducing is the same person with the same name but just in the Marvel universe.

This version of Toro has a pretty rough past, and that plays a big part in who he is now. He's from Columbia and has come to New York illegally. He wants to escape his past and to find some measure of redemption in his life. As for what, you'll have to read to find out.

Nrama: We know about Nomad and Araña and how they work together from the Nomad back-ups in Captain America. Is that relationship going to continue?

McKeever: Yeah, even after this current Nomad-Araña storyline, Araña's still around as a supporting character, whether in costume or... well, I better not say too much, because that story isn't over yet. But yeah, she's still a player in the Nomad world. And Nomad's part of her world. So they're sort of building this friendship together, and that's their dynamic going into the Young Allies series.

Nrama: What's the relationship between the other characters?

McKeever: Nomad knows Toro, but from a different world. And in that world they had a certain relationship that isn't so here, obviously. As she learned during the Nomad mini-series, the versions of people in this world aren't the same as the ones she knew. And trying to make it the same can have disastrous consequences. So that's a bit of an issue for Nomad.

So Araña, Nomad and Toro are these three high school aged kids. But then you've got Gravity and Firestar, who are a little more seasoned. Firestar is more so than Gravity, but they're both college kids going to NYU. They've both been team leaders, and they've got a lot to connect with in that manner.

These are the sort of dynamics I'll be exploring in the book. But it won't be entirely rosy and buddy-buddy. There will also be a little teenage angst and tension, and a big part of that tension comes from the introduction of the Bastards of Evil.

Nrama: That has to be one of the best villainous group titles ever. Who are they? Are they really "bastards?"

McKeever: They're the unwanted sons and daughters of supervillains, so this is their sort of ironic name for themselves. You'll learn more about them and who specifically they're the sons and daughters of in the story.

Nrama: Can you give just one as an example?

McKeever: In the Age of Heroes story, you'll meet Warhead, who is the son of Radioactive Man. And instead of just the general radiation powers, he's able to generate miniature fission reactions.

Nrama: Wow. How miniature?

McKeever: [laughs] Well even a small one isn't that small.

But that's somebody that Gravity is going to come up against, and that's really going to spin him into an interesting direction that's different from what people have come to know from the Gravity mini-series, but is also through and through... Gravity.

Nrama: So you've got the Gravity story in Age of Heroes #2 coming up, and the Firestar one-shot, as well as the Nomad back-ups in Captain America, all leading toward the Young Allies ongoing series. And you're also doing a Young Avengers story, right?

McKeever: Yeah, I've also got Siege: Young Avengers, which comes out in April. I got to write them briefly in Nomad, which was cool, but really getting to spend some time with the characters was neat. I really enjoyed [Allan] Heinberg's run, and this was a nice opportunity to explore the characters and have some nice little vignettes that take place within the storyline of Siege. They're fantastic characters that Heinberg developed, and they were amazingly easy to get the voices of. You just knew who they were.

Nrama: Since they're in Manhattan as well, is there a chance the Young Avengers might meet up with the Young Allies at some point?

McKeever: I would like that very much. [laughs]

Nrama: Is there anything else you want to tell people about Young Allies?

McKeever: I think people are going to be in for a surprise with Young Allies. It's not quite the usual thing in terms of a "teen team" type book. This is really, at its heart, about a battle for the soul of a generation. Plus everything I'm doing here, plot-wise, is very much character first. That's from the heroes' perspective and from the villains'. It's just been a joy for me to write, and I think that's going to come through in the finished product.

Zac Goyette
03-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I like McKeever and a few of those characters so I will probably check out the first few issues.

Bedlam66
03-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm a big fan of McKeever and all of those chars(except Toro cause he's new) So I'll be hopping on board this book when it launches.

GrandeMaestro Fünke
03-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Firestar seems out of place there to me. All the other New Warriors are grown up at this point.

Ray G.
03-09-2010, 11:43 AM
So far, more enthusiastic about this than any other Heroic Age book. McKeever = money.

Ray G.
Firestar seems out of place there to me. All the other New Warriors are grown up at this point.

I have to assume she'll be in the mentor role. McKeever even talked about how he's picking up from her cancer storyline from Marvel Divas.

Jew Mafia
Cool. I love the idea of Sean writing Firestar again (she was great in SMLMJ). An more Gravity is very welcome. They should come in contact with The Runaways at some point. *hint hint*

Marcdachamp
03-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Sounds like fun. I'm looking forward to it!

Doug
03-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Maybe I missed it in the article, but is this an on-going or a mini?

03-09-2010, 12:00 PM
The article says ongoing.

Ben
03-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Looks good.

Are the New Warriors going to be in Avengers Academy?

bartleby
03-09-2010, 12:06 PM
I'll buy this.

THAT Sean!
03-09-2010, 12:09 PM
All bow to Johnny C. who nearly called this on the head a couple months back. :D

03-09-2010, 01:26 PM
All bow to Johnny C. who nearly called this on the head a couple months back. :D

Yeah, I was a couple characters off, and the name of the book as well, but otherwise this is pretty much what I wanted. Looking forward to it man.

Superior Kiai
03-09-2010, 01:28 PM
So, so, so, so, so buying this!!!!

LenNWallace
03-09-2010, 01:29 PM
I :heart: Gravity!

Foolish Mortal
03-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Can we expect a Runaways appearance? Maybe..?

Spidey616
03-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Awesome! Nice to see Gravity again in a new title. Any chance of a guest appearance by the Young Avengers or Liberteens ;)

NickT
03-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Cool, will get this.

Thudpucker
03-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Looks great! I'll be buying this for sure.

Supajoe
03-09-2010, 02:52 PM
they had me at 'Bastards of Evil.' :)

The Zevad
03-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Okay. I guess nobody gives a rat ass about continuity. The Heroes Reborn Bucky is a diffrent character than the girl who is now Nomad. Counter Earth is a Escape From New York/Water World hybrid right now. Nomad is from a 2nd Earth that Franklin created. I can swallow that there's a Toro on HR Earth 2.0 but Nomad was never a member of Young Alllies...unless...retcon retcon retcon. But Nomad's Earth is still in that Green Orb Franklin created. Her Captain America is still alive. Heroes Reborn Bucky is still on Counter Earth. Still hanging out with Jolt from the Thunderbolts and her Toro. Sigh. Oh well.....

bartleby
03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Okay. I guess nobody gives a rat ass about continuity.

Not enough to stop me from reading good comics.

Foolish Mortal
03-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Okay. I guess nobody gives a rat ass about continuity. The Heroes Reborn Bucky is a diffrent character than the girl who is now Nomad. Counter Earth is a Escape From New York/Water World hybrid right now. Nomad is from a 2nd Earth that Franklin created. I can swallow that there's a Toro on HR Earth 2.0 but Nomad was never a member of Young Alllies...unless...retcon retcon retcon. But Nomad's Earth is still in that Green Orb Franklin created. Her Captain America is still alive. Heroes Reborn Bucky is still on Counter Earth. Still hanging out with Jolt from the Thunderbolts and her Toro. Sigh. Oh well.....
Right, but there was a Young Allies team in 616 continuity too. So I would assume this team is named after that team.

WhindamPryce
03-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Bought!

I've always loved the idea of sticking low-selling characters into one big book (Cable & Deadpool, etc). This book has it in spades. I'm not familiar with Gravity at all and have zero personal connection to any of the other characters. But for that creative team I'll definitely give it a shot. :thumb:

The Zevad
03-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Not enough to stop me from reading good comics.

Dude I'm not saying it won't be good. Save for a huge chunk of his Teen Titans run (I think that's more DC's fault they fucking ruined Titans by killing Bart and Conner) I think McKeever kicks fucking ass.

But the thing is reading those Heroes Reborn one shots after their great dissaster which sunk a great chunk of the US underwater and making the world a apocalyptic future. Man Rebel was a cool character wearing Iron Man's armor to keep him alive. Sorry went another tangent there. But reading Onslaught Reborn where their Earth is intact. Not apocalyptic and Wolverine is freaking Hawkeye it's pretty obvious they are two diffrent worlds. And also the fact that Heroes Reborn Bucky are in the 616 as the new counter Earth and Nomad's Earth was in a Green Orb that Franklin kept is a huge clue those are two diffrent Earths.

Thus..Two Diffrent Buckys.

bartleby
03-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Dude I'm not saying it won't be good. Save for a huge chunk of his Teen Titans run (I think that's more DC's fault they fucking ruined Titans by killing Bart and Conner) I think McKeever kicks fucking ass.

But the thing is reading those Heroes Reborn one shots after their great dissaster which sunk a great chunk of the US underwater and making the world a apocalyptic future. Man Rebel was a cool character wearing Iron Man's armor to keep him alive. Sorry went another tangent there. But reading Onslaught Reborn where their Earth is intact. Not apocalyptic and Wolverine is freaking Hawkeye it's pretty obvious they are two diffrent worlds. And also the fact that Heroes Reborn Bucky are in the 616 as the new counter Earth and Nomad's Earth was in a Green Orb that Franklin kept is a huge clue those are two diffrent Earths.

Thus..Two Diffrent Buckys.

While all that may be true, you seem to be missing my point, which is: I really don't give a damn.

lonesomefool
03-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I might check it out, I havent been overly interested in the Nomad backups in Cap though, so who knows. Plus, both Marvel and DC are launching a shit load of other product around the same time, I dont know if I can actually afford to give it a shot.

John Drake
03-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Looks great :D

THAT Sean!
03-09-2010, 03:36 PM

Who said Nomad/Rikki was a member of the Young Allies? And why couldn't Nomad/Rikki have been a Young Ally in her world? ;)

Thudpucker
03-09-2010, 03:46 PM
I don't know much about these characters but I'm interested in them now, trying to find out more about them.

There is an issue called 'Heroes Reborn: Young Alies #1' and it has Rebbeca Barnes and Toro on the cover:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Comics:Heroes_Reborn_Young_Allies_Vol_1_1

Those are the same characters that are in this new Young Allies? Or are they different ones?

iGotKittyPryde
03-09-2010, 03:47 PM
That looks Bad Ass. Nomad was pretty good. And I love Gravity. And Sean McKeever doing teen Marvel stuff is always good.

The Zevad
03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Who said Nomad/Rikki was a member of the Young Allies? And why couldn't Nomad/Rikki have been a Young Ally in her world? ;)

Damn you McKeever. You just made me reserve Young Allies. :lol:

Any chance Nomad Rikki will meet Heroes Reborn Bucky/Rikki on Counter Earth?

WhindamPryce
03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Damn you McKeever. You just made me reserve Young Allies. :lol:

Any chance Nomad Rikki will meet Heroes Reborn Bucky/Rikki on Counter Earth?

No. Because only you care about stuff like that. And Bendis' Scarlet Witch. So I hope this doesn't happen, just to annoy you. :lol:

The Zevad
03-09-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't know much about these characters but I'm interested in them now, trying to find out more about them.

There is an issue called 'Heroes Reborn: Young Alies #1' and it has Rebbeca Barnes and Toro on the cover:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Comics:Heroes_Reborn_Young_Allies_Vol_1_1

Those are the same characters that are in this new Young Allies? Or are they different ones?

No. Those are the original versions. Franklin created two versions of the Heroes Reborn Earth. 1.0 is where the Marvel Heroes were sent after Onslaught.

2.0 is a world where all the Heroes are native to that Earth and it diverges from Heroes Reborn Avengers 6 as it is revealed Wolverine/Logan is Hawkeye. 2.0 is where Nomad Rikki from. We don't really know what happened on 2.0 but apparently there was a version of the Young Allies there and Heroes Reborn Toro logically has a counterpart on Nomad Rikki's Earth.

Heroes Reborn Earth 1.0 not having native Cap, FF, Avengers went to hell. Their enviorment changed as it became a weird lanscape of dessert, water world like fun, amongts other chaotic enviorments when it was forcibly moved into the 616 and became the new Counter Earth. HR Bucky formed the Young Allies to bring order. Jolt from the Thunderbolts eventually travelled to the new Counter Earth and joined up. Check out the one shots and the Tbolts storyline concering Counter Earth. Baron Zemo got his current body by stealing his counterpart on Heroes Reborn Earth's body.

Thudpucker
03-09-2010, 04:00 PM
No. Those are the original versions. Franklin created two versions of the Heroes Reborn Earth. 1.0 is where the Marvel Heroes were sent after Onslaught.

2.0 is a world where all the Heroes are native to that Earth and it diverges from Heroes Reborn Avengers 6 as it is revealed Wolverine/Logan is Hawkeye. 2.0 is where Nomad Rikki from. We don't really know what happened on 2.0 but apparently there was a version of the Young Allies there and Heroes Reborn Toro logically has a counterpart on Nomad Rikki's Earth.

Heroes Reborn Earth 1.0 not having native Cap, FF, Avengers went to hell. Their enviorment changed as it became a weird lanscape of dessert, water world like fun, amongts other chaotic enviorments when it was forcibly moved into the 616 and became the new Counter Earth. HR Bucky formed the Young Allies to bring order. Jolt from the Thunderbolts eventually travelled to the new Counter Earth and joined up. Check out the one shots and the Tbolts storyline concering Counter Earth. Baron Zemo got his current body by stealing his counterpart on Heroes Reborn Earth's body.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info Zevad!

The Zevad
03-09-2010, 04:04 PM
No. Because only you care about stuff like that. And Bendis' Scarlet Witch. So I hope this doesn't happen, just to annoy you. :lol:

I'm not the only one. There's actually a sect forming to strike back and...

I've said to much.

:shifty:

Bedlam66
03-09-2010, 04:17 PM
It's a small Enough detail that yes it doesn't mater. All you get by Sticking to the letter of the law with this continuity is a more convoluted background then you need in order to get the point across. Also they aren't even saying that she was a member of this "team" just that she knew Toro from her Earth and that they were Friends. Nothing about Heroes reborn 2.0 says anything different. We've seen this char from the new earth a couple of times there isn't anything that contradicts anything they said.

The Zevad
03-09-2010, 04:31 PM
It's a small Enough detail that yes it doesn't mater. All you get by Sticking to the letter of the law with this continuity is a more convoluted background then you need in order to get the point across. Also they aren't even saying that she was a member of this "team" just that she knew Toro from her Earth and that they were Friends. Nothing about Heroes reborn 2.0 says anything different. We've seen this char from the new earth a couple of times there isn't anything that contradicts anything they said.

I already know that. But thanks for the coaching.

Bedlam66
03-09-2010, 04:34 PM
I already know that. But thanks for the coaching.
Yea I didn't see all the other posts on the Subject. but I didn't feel like editing it.

The Zevad
03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Yea I didn't see all the other posts on the Subject. but I didn't feel like editing it.

Don't worry about. I usually post from the gut. Which means I type before I think. Logically after I calmed down from my continuity high I logically realized (Sean McKeever helped) that being a 2.0 it would have counter parts to every member of the 1.0 Young Allies. And logically Nomad/Rikki could have met all of them and logically they could have formed a Young Allies under different circumstances of course.

Bedlam66
03-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Don't worry about. I usually post from the gut. Which means I type before I think. Logically after I calmed down from my continuity high I logically realized (Sean McKeever helped) that being a 2.0 it would have counter parts to every member of the 1.0 Young Allies. And logically Nomad/Rikki could have met all of them and logically they could have formed a Young Allies under different circumstances of course.

Yea, That because He's Awesome.

Flint66606
03-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Gravity AND Arana (I'm not bothering with the squiggly thing)? Jesus, it's like Marvel asked me personally who I'd love to see make a comeback.

Superior Kiai
03-09-2010, 05:16 PM
ñ

michealdark
03-09-2010, 06:57 PM
This looks cool. I'm hoping to see all of these teams cross over with the Runaways at some point

Flint66606
03-09-2010, 09:01 PM
ñ

Still not gonna.

Blue Flash
03-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Still not gonna.

Accents are Unamerican!

The Crushtacean
03-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Wait, so Firestar has gone from being an Avenger to being a Young Ally? Is she in a mentor role? Plus, doesn't she have cancer that's currently in remission but could easily be made worse by using her powers again? I like her, but that seems a bit weird.

THAT Sean!
03-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Wait, so Firestar has gone from being an Avenger to being a Young Ally? Is she in a mentor role? Plus, doesn't she have cancer that's currently in remission but could easily be made worse by using her powers again? I like her, but that seems a bit weird.
Read the Newsarama interview for your first questions, and Young Allies for all of them.

UltimateFactor
03-10-2010, 09:14 AM
WooT! More Arana is always good!

Roman Noodles
03-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Just heard about this book today, I really am interested in this. Maybe this will fill the Runaways/New X-Men/YA-sized void in my heart.

michealdark
03-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Plus, doesn't she have cancer that's currently in remission but could easily be made worse by using her powers again? I like her, but that seems a bit weird.

I want to see Sean deal with this so badly.

The Zevad
03-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Wait what? As a mutant she's supposed to be immune to her own powers. It shouldn't agravate something. She had a deficeint gene that made it that she wasn't immune to her powers but Hank Pym was able to fix it for her! What the frack. What comics did she get the cancer and was any reason given for the development of her cancer?

michealdark
03-10-2010, 02:12 PM
It was one of the major subplots of Marvel Divas

I AM GROOT!
03-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Sean,

You know I'm there, buddy. I just know you're going to knock it out of the park! :)

ZombieSpeedball
03-10-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm in. I'm so into this series it would take the jaws of life to pull me from its grip.

The Crushtacean
03-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Wait what? As a mutant she's supposed to be immune to her own powers. It shouldn't agravate something. She had a deficeint gene that made it that she wasn't immune to her powers but Hank Pym was able to fix it for her! What the frack. What comics did she get the cancer and was any reason given for the development of her cancer?

In Busiek's Avengers run her powers started to make her infertile, and Hank Pym figured out that her mutant immunity to her own powers never fully developed. He made a special costume for her that basically took up the slack and was supposed to allow the immunity to manifest. As for the cancer, that was a major plot point in Marvel Divas. The reason for its development was the same inability to shield herself from her powers that was making her infertile. Why that's even still a problem still is beyond me, as is why Pym didn't just fix it for her again in Marvel Divas when she visited him during that series.

bartleby
03-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Wait what? As a mutant she's supposed to be immune to her own powers.

Which scientific journal published this finding?

Foolish Mortal
03-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Wait what? As a mutant she's supposed to be immune to her own powers.
There are exceptions to all rules. Like mutants powers are supposed to emerge when they reach puberty. But there have been several examples of mutants whose powers emerge before puberty.

The Crushtacean
03-10-2010, 02:52 PM
There are exceptions to all rules. Like mutants powers are supposed to emerge when they reach puberty. But there have been several examples of mutants whose powers emerge before puberty.

The problem isn't that she isn't, the problem is that it was a plot point before that she wasn't, and it was supposedly fixed.

ZombieSpeedball
03-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Which scientific journal published this finding?

Haven't they done a few stories where a mutant was killed by their own powers? Or am I making that up?

LenNWallace
03-10-2010, 02:55 PM

Jesus, man... How many No Prizes do you have?

The Zevad
03-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Jesus, man... How many No Prizes do you have?

How many stars are in the sky?

;-)

ZombieSpeedball
03-10-2010, 03:11 PM
How many stars are in the sky?

;-)

Wow, that was whimsical.

The Zevad
03-10-2010, 03:19 PM
In Busiek's Avengers run her powers started to make her infertile, and Hank Pym figured out that her mutant immunity to her own powers never fully developed. He made a special costume for her that basically took up the slack and was supposed to allow the immunity to manifest. As for the cancer, that was a major plot point in Marvel Divas. The reason for its development was the same inability to shield herself from her powers that was making her infertile. Why that's even still a problem still is beyond me, as is why Pym didn't just fix it for her again in Marvel Divas when she visited him during that series.

What?
What?!
WHAT?!!!!!

IT WAS FIXED! God damn it. I swear..I swear I so badly want to go to Marvel Comics and kick every fucking editor over there in their balls. THEIR BALLS I SAY!!!!!

No Prize: Sometime after Pym's suit fixed her and kicked started her immunity to her powers Firestar must have encountered an incident that derailed her D.N.A. and it undid Pym's repair job causing her immunity to her powers to retard away again. Thus allowing her microwave abilties to cause the cancer.

In the mean while Fire Star should dig out the suit Pym built for her. Have it upgraded and eventually call in some D.N.A. experts and fix up her power immunity permanately. WHICH IS FUCKING POSSIBLE DAMN YOUSE! YOUSE FREAKING DUNDERHEADED EDITORS!!!

Sorry. I'm sorry.

I'm so so sorry.

:nonono2:

ZombieSpeedball
03-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Still, I wish there was a chance that we would see a new Young Avengers series. I miss YA so hard.

The Crushtacean
03-10-2010, 03:44 PM
What?
What?!
WHAT?!!!!!

IT WAS FIXED! God damn it. I swear..I swear I so badly want to go to Marvel Comics and kick every fucking editor over there in their balls. THEIR BALLS I SAY!!!!!

No Prize: Sometime after Pym's suit fixed her and kicked started her immunity to her powers Firestar must have encountered an incident that derailed her D.N.A. and it undid Pym's repair job causing her immunity to her powers to retard away again. Thus allowing her microwave abilties to cause the cancer.

In the mean while Fire Star should dig out the suit Pym built for her. Have it upgraded and eventually call in some D.N.A. experts and fix up her power immunity permanately. WHICH IS FUCKING POSSIBLE DAMN YOUSE! YOUSE FREAKING DUNDERHEADED EDITORS!!!

Sorry. I'm sorry.

I'm so so sorry.

:nonono2:

No Prize: Pym's not a medical doctor, and he was just making a guess about what was causing the cancer in Marvel Divas, assuming it was the same problem she had before. He was wrong, it was actually normal cancer like everyone else gets, it's in remission, she's immune to her own powers, the end.

WhindamPryce
03-10-2010, 03:53 PM
No Prize: Pym's not a medical doctor, and he was just making a guess about what was causing the cancer in Marvel Divas, assuming it was the same problem she had before. He was wrong, it was actually normal cancer like everyone else gets, it's in remission, she's immune to her own powers, the end.

But... but he's the motherfucking Scientist Supreme!!! :rock:

:rofl:

The Zevad
03-10-2010, 03:53 PM

The man can grow insect wings on your back if you want. Pym knows his stuff about D.N.A. and biology. No it's just lack of research is all on the Editors. I demand the head of the one who edited Marvel Divas. THIS I COMMAND!!!

The Crushtacean
03-10-2010, 03:57 PM
The man can grow insect wings on your back if you want. Pym knows his stuff about D.N.A. and biology. No it's just lack of research is all.

Well, of course it's a screw-up. The point of a No-Prize is to come up with a plausible explanation for the screw-up. And being a geneticist and biologist is not the same as being a physician.

Ray G.
03-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Still, I wish there was a chance that we would see a new Young Avengers series. I miss YA so hard.

I'm pretty sure we're getting an 8-issue mini by Heinberg later this year.

The Zevad
03-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Well, of course it's a screw-up. The point of a No-Prize is to come up with a plausible explanation for the screw-up. And being a geneticist and biologist is not the same as being a physician.

Hey he is the Scientist Supreme.

You know you gotta love Slott. Scientist Supreme does sound like something Stan Lee would have come up with. :lol: