PDA

View Full Version : Andy Ritcher goes off on NBC

Rosdower 3.0
03-09-2010, 11:26 AM
http://tv.gawker.com/5489186/andy-richter-goes-off-on-jay-leno-and-nbc-on-live-with-regis-and-kelly

I didn't even know he was going to "guest host" Regis and Kelly. But it's great to see someone directly involved talk about this matter frankly.

A.Huerta
03-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Andy is the man.

TIP
03-09-2010, 11:34 AM
:rock:

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
03-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I will have to watch this later.

dougmac
03-09-2010, 12:16 PM
who'd have thought Kelly Ripa would get the best interview out of anyone in this situation?

Artie Pink
03-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Hooray!

Flint66606
03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Meh. Not what I'd call "going off", but it was a pretty good interview.

information
03-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Has a transcript been posted anywhere?

Rosdower 3.0
03-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Here's a longer version of the original video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKlYNW31HhE

Ryan Elliott
03-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Fuck yes Andy. Fuck yes.

CapnChaos
03-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Good for Andy! Glad he's getting to say what Conan can't. This is helping motivate me to get his TV shows on DVD...

Hurnslice
03-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Gotta be tough talking about it, let alone live, without flying off the handle.

He's a professional, sure, but he's gotta be thinking three sentences ahead.

Rosdower 3.0
03-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Good for Andy! Glad he's getting to say what Conan can't. This is helping motivate me to get this TV shows on DVD...

I've wanted those for a while now, especially "Andy Richter Controls the Universe"

Also, I managed to spell his name wrong in the thread title :surrend: Mods, feel free to fix that

gaspar
03-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Good for Andy.

WhindamPryce
03-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Holy Shit I haven't watched this show in like a DECADE!!!

Regis is still alive? Kelly's still hot though! :drool:

RebootedCorpse
03-09-2010, 03:30 PM
That would have been better if that stupid twat had shut the fuck up and let him talk.

Ryan Elliott
03-09-2010, 03:38 PM
That would have been better if that stupid twat had shut the fuck up and let him talk.

Yep.

Rosdower 3.0
03-09-2010, 03:40 PM

Eh, he (and Conan) will be able to talk freely during the tour (and come September) :)

At least he got to say something about the whole situation.

Flint66606
03-09-2010, 03:43 PM

Yeah, she just made it excruciating.

Bedlam66
03-09-2010, 03:50 PM
who'd have thought Kelly Ripa would get the best interview out of anyone in this situation?
She's Hot so she deserves it. :)

Andrew
03-09-2010, 08:25 PM
First off, I commend Andy for speaking up. I really do. Nice to see someone have the balls to speak their mind for a change. I have a huge amount of respect for that.

Now, after watching this, the only question I'd like for people to ask Andy on this topic (and of course Conan, once he's able to speak openly about these things again) is in regards to how they blame Leno's prime-time show for their own failure in the ratings. What would they do if Leno had gone to a competing network, as NBC feared, been given a show at 11:30, and outperformed Conan's Tonight Show (which would've been a very real possibility)? What would they have to say about that sort of a scenario? Because it seems that as long as Leno didn't want to flat-out retire from showbusiness (and he said he wasn't even in his 2004 "stepping down" announcement), either way Conan would've been competing against him in some way. And, like it or not, Leno is a late night powerhouse.

And even though NBC botched this whole thing up spectacularly, as we all know, their prime motivation was to avoid that very situation that I just described from happening, so I think it's a valid question that people should ask Conan and Andy one of these days. I'd like to hear their take on what that situation would've been like, just because it so easily could've been a reality (like it or not).

dougmac
03-09-2010, 09:36 PM
First off, I commend Andy for speaking up. I really do. Nice to see someone have the balls to speak their mind for a change. I have a huge amount of respect for that.

Now, after watching this, the only question I'd like for people to ask Andy on this topic (and of course Conan, once he's able to speak openly about these things again) is in regards to how they blame Leno's prime-time show for their own failure in the ratings. What would they do if Leno had gone to a competing network, as NBC feared, been given a show at 11:30, and outperformed Conan's Tonight Show (which would've been a very real possibility)? What would they have to say about that sort of a scenario? Because it seems that as long as Leno didn't want to flat-out retire from showbusiness (and he said he wasn't even in his 2004 "stepping down" announcement), either way Conan would've been competing against him in some way. And, like it or not, Leno is a late night powerhouse.

And even though NBC botched this whole thing up spectacularly, as we all know, their prime motivation was to avoid that very situation that I just described from happening, so I think it's a valid question that people should ask Conan and Andy one of these days. I'd like to hear their take on what that situation would've been like, just because it so easily could've been a reality (like it or not).

but it would be all hypothetical speculation that they would get no benefit from participating in, and probably sound classes in discussing. At least now they can point to a very real fact that Leno was a horrible lead in to both Conan and the local news in most markets.

King of Mars
03-09-2010, 09:41 PM
I've defended Leno through all this but, I gotta say, I'm disappointed he hasn't stepped up his game after reclaiming The Tonight Show. I watched some of it tonight, mainly because I had just gotten the baby to doze off on my lap and I didn't want to disturb him to fetch the remote, and it was painfully unfunny. Just awful. He plowed through that boring headlines segment with all the enthusiasm of a homosexual man beating off to a Girls Gone Wild video and then followed it up with a completely lifeless interview with Christoph Waltz. For a guy who didn't want to retire, he's sure acting an awful lot like he's finished.

usagi20
03-09-2010, 09:54 PM

Here's the thing. People who were watching Leno, were now watching him at 10:00, and going to bed before 11:30. So they never even really knew what Conan was doing. But if Leno is on another network at 11:00 or 11:30, those same people would watch Leno, but maybe tune over to see what Conan's doing if there's a boring guest or long commercial break, or a week when Leno's in reruns. But if they're not even awake when Conan starts his show, how's he supposed to get them to tune in?

Ryan Elliott
03-09-2010, 09:59 PM
and I'm sorry, but there's nothing Conan could do to bring Leno's audience over to his show. And anyone who expected him to be able to do that was fooling themselves.

A.Huerta
03-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Here's the thing. People who were watching Leno, were now watching him at 10:00, and going to bed before 11:30. So they never even really knew what Conan was doing. But if Leno is on another network at 11:00 or 11:30, those same people would watch Leno, but maybe tune over to see what Conan's doing if there's a boring guest or long commercial break, or a week when Leno's in reruns. But if they're not even awake when Conan starts his show, how's he supposed to get them to tune in?

Exactly.

Leno's "new" show was pretty much an earlier version of his old Tonight show. If leno actually left, most likely Conan wouldve had some of his viewers but since Jay Leno stayed, I think people got confused and just assumed that he moved to an earlier time slot and didnt feel the need to watch the actual new Tonight Show with Conan. It was redundant and stupid on NBC and Jays part.

Rosdower 3.0
03-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Andrew - the easiest way to answer that question is to say that Conan would have at least had a fair fight and even playing field if the rug hadn't been pulled out from under him. Conan may have still lost the ratings battle but he probably would have had his full 2 year contract to try and compete. Instead he got fucked over by NBC and Leno was all too willing to just "go with the flow" and then pull the ignorant/innocent card.

Rosdower 3.0
03-09-2010, 10:15 PM
I've defended Leno through all this but, I gotta say, I'm disappointed he hasn't stepped up his game after reclaiming The Tonight Show. I watched some of it tonight, mainly because I had just gotten the baby to doze off on my lap and I didn't want to disturb him to fetch the remote, and it was painfully unfunny. Just awful. He plowed through that boring headlines segment with all the enthusiasm of a homosexual man beating off to a Girls Gone Wild video and then followed it up with a completely lifeless interview with Christoph Waltz. For a guy who didn't want to retire, he's sure acting an awful lot like he's finished.

Thanks for your honest opinion. As a Conan fan that makes me happy to hear.

bartleby
03-10-2010, 02:57 AM
and I'm sorry, but there's nothing Conan could do to bring Leno's audience over to his show. And anyone who expected him to be able to do that was fooling themselves.

Are you saying that Conan couldn't be expected to win over all of Leno's audience or any portion of it?

Ashwin Pande
03-10-2010, 03:05 AM

He doesn't care. He never cared. I don't even think it was about greed or money. He's got tons of money he's never going to ever touch. I think he just doesn't want to be off tv. Which is fair but he just doesn't care at all about the quality of his show or about the legacy or anything.

It's so weird too. I saw this thing where he did Inside The Actor's Studio and every time he does something that's actually funny he just shuts it down. Like he'll say something actually funny or a bit even the slightest bit dark and then mutter, "Oh, sorry, forget about that" or "Oh, nevermind." It's like he's decided that he's found his niche being the lame, middle-of-the-road comedian on tv and just never ever wants to even try to be better than that.

Ben
03-10-2010, 04:47 AM
Shouldn't Andy be happy that he's off the Tonight Show? This gives him time to create a few more failed sitcoms.

Andrew
03-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Are you saying that Conan couldn't be expected to win over all of Leno's audience or any portion of it?

A valid question. The Tonight Show has a traditional built-in audience. Now, of course, Conan would've been there to bring in a new audience as well, but if he honestly "couldn't be expected" to bring in any of Leno's audience (i.e. the people who've been watching The Tonight Show for years and have no reason to stop now), than maybe The Tonight Show was not the right job for him.

And for what it's worth, like you, I watched Conan almost every night, and wish other people were doing the same so this wouldn't have happened. But for people here to be suggesting that Conan couldn't be expected to bring in any of Leno's audience are missing the point of him leaving Late Night to do The Tonight Show in the first place. He wanted to do the big job. He wanted to become a part of history. Also, whether Jay stayed at NBC or went and started a new show elsewhere, it seems likely that in either scenario Conan was going to have to compete against him in some way (because as per Jay's 2004 departure announcement, he was never going to leave show business completely), and that's a challenge that Conan surely would have known going in.

The Funketeer
03-10-2010, 01:02 PM
A valid question. The Tonight Show has a traditional built-in audience. Now, of course, Conan would've been there to bring in a new audience as well, but if he honestly "couldn't be expected" to bring in any of Leno's audience (i.e. the people who've been watching The Tonight Show for years and have no reason to stop now), than maybe The Tonight Show was not the right job for him.

I think where you, and certainly NBC, are being shortsighted is in not really knowing who Conan's audience is. They might not be 10:30 talk show watchers now. But they're still young. And they're going to grow old. In a few years, they'll be getting married and having kids and they won't be staying up late anymore or watching TV on their ipods. They'll settle into a routine and I think his audience would have grown in a few years. NBC really missed the boat on this one. When Leno goes, and he has to go eventually, who are they going to replace him with? Fallon? They had their chance to groom Conan and they blew it and now they're hosed in the long run.

Ben
03-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I think where you, and certainly NBC, are being shortsighted is in not really knowing who Conan's audience is. They might not be 10:30 talk show watchers now. But they're still young. And they're going to grow old. In a few years, they'll be getting married and having kids and they won't be staying up late anymore or watching TV on their ipods. They'll settle into a routine and I think his audience would have grown in a few years. NBC really missed the boat on this one. When Leno goes, and he has to go eventually, who are they going to replace him with? Fallon? They had their chance to groom Conan and they blew it and now they're hosed in the long run.Oh, you central time zone people are so cute!

Andrew
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
I think where you, and certainly NBC, are being shortsighted is in not really knowing who Conan's audience is. They might not be 10:30 talk show watchers now. But they're still young. And they're going to grow old. In a few years, they'll be getting married and having kids and they won't be staying up late anymore or watching TV on their ipods. They'll settle into a routine and I think his audience would have grown in a few years. NBC really missed the boat on this one. When Leno goes, and he has to go eventually, who are they going to replace him with? Fallon? They had their chance to groom Conan and they blew it and now they're hosed in the long run.

It's not about being shortsighted. I watched Conan's show almost every night and wish that others did the same. While they definitely pulled the plug on Conan's show too early (they should've at least given him the 2-3 years he was contracted for), I just don't necessarily find it unreasonable that they shouldn't have to wait something like 10 years for their expected results either, which is what you seem to be suggesting.