PDA

View Full Version : Is internet access a fundamental right?

afroloq
03-09-2010, 06:54 AM
A new BBC poll found that four our of five people around the world believe internet access is a fundamental right. Time to change the universal declaration of human rights to read...."everyone has the right to life, liberty, security of person and 24/7 broadband. No one shall be held in servitude to crappy net connections or the torture of dial up". wink

The survey - of more than 27,000 adults across 26 countries - found strong support for net access on both sides of the digital divide. Countries such as Finland and Estonia have already ruled that access is a human right for their citizens. International bodies such as the UN are also pushing for universal net access.

link (http://www.hardocp.com/news/2010/03/09/internet_access_fundamental_right/)

Jason California
03-09-2010, 06:56 AM
no.

panco
03-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Unfortunately not in North Korea or Iran...

Ryudo
03-09-2010, 06:59 AM
That's like saying cable television is a fundamental right - it isn't. You need to provide your own television, and your own subscription to the service provider. The internet is no different. Do telecoms need to get off their butts and get high-speed connections to the more rural areas? Yes. Is it a fundamental right? No.

Taxman
03-09-2010, 07:05 AM
It is as essential as a telephone was 25 years ago and a society improves itself with broader availability of the internet.

afroloq
03-09-2010, 07:09 AM
It is as essential as a telephone was 25 years ago and a society improves itself with broader availability of the internet.

hey now...I lived and died by the phone when I was a teen...nowadays I just don't want to be bothered.

CapnChaos
03-09-2010, 07:13 AM
No. Certainly no more than a phone, radio or television. Hell, electricity or running water were never described as a right when they were being implemented. It's amazing what humans can live without if forced to. I don't WANT to live without them and I'd sure bitch and whine without them, but they aren't fundamental rights in the way that rights are freedoms endowed upon us by our creator, as described by US founders.

Fake Pat
03-09-2010, 07:13 AM
That's like saying cable television is a fundamental right - it isn't. You need to provide your own television, and your own subscription to the service provider. The internet is no different. Do telecoms need to get off their butts and get high-speed connections to the more rural areas? Yes. Is it a fundamental right? No.

Actually, the internet and tv are very different. But you know that.

It sounds dumb at first, but I think you can look at this issue as being "Do people have a fundamental right to information?"

I can get behind that.

CapnChaos
03-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Actually, the internet and tv are very different. But you know that.

It sounds dumb at first, but I think you can look at this issue as being "Do people have a fundamental right to information?"

I can get behind that.

That would be like saying 100 years ago that people have a right to newspapers and an encyclopedia. The fundamental right to information you speak of is taken care of through the public library system. Anyway, the internet doesn't create information. It simply makes it easier to access.

EdNEMO
03-09-2010, 07:20 AM
No.

Flint66606
03-09-2010, 07:21 AM
It's not a fundamental human right if someone else has to provide it (not protect, the role of any good government, but provide) to you.

TheKraken
03-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Not a fundamental right, but over the last couple of years, watching the government bend over backwards to make sure nobody's TV stopped working when the switch to digital cable happened, I often wondered why the internet, a much more useful tool for both information and entertainment, somehow hasn't taken that same amount of priority.

Flint66606
03-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Not a fundamental right, but over the last couple of years, watching the government bend over backwards to make sure nobody's TV stopped working when the switch to digital cable happened, I often wondered why the internet, a much more useful tool for both information and entertainment, somehow hasn't taken that same amount of priority.

It requires a bit more technical ability than television, for one thing.

TheKraken
03-09-2010, 07:27 AM
On the part of the user, you mean? Everybody's grandma is on Facebook now. :)

Taxman
03-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Not a fundamental right, but over the last couple of years, watching the government bend over backwards to make sure nobody's TV stopped working when the switch to digital cable happened, I often wondered why the internet, a much more useful tool for both information and entertainment, somehow hasn't taken that same amount of priority.Not as many powerful corporations raking in huge profits with it.

Fake Pat
03-09-2010, 07:30 AM
That would be like saying 100 years ago that people have a right to newspapers and an encyclopedia. The fundamental right to information you speak of is taken care of through the public library system. Anyway, the internet doesn't create information. It simply makes it easier to access.

Yes, exactly.

If you can't access it, you don't have a right to it, and I certainly think it's reasonable to say people have a right to information.

Taxman
03-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Yes, exactly.

If you can't access it, you don't have a right to it, and I certainly think it's reasonable to say people have a right to information.Most people living in urban area in this country can get access to a newspaper or the internet at a library, for free. From what I have seen, most of them use it to screw around on FaceBook.

TIP
03-09-2010, 07:35 AM

Links please, thanks.

:shifty:

Stark Raving
03-09-2010, 07:44 AM
No.

I still like jorts though... :scared:

afroloq
03-09-2010, 07:56 AM
Links please, thanks.

Cougar hunting, sir?

TIP
03-09-2010, 07:57 AM
Cougar hunting, sir?

Non-Trace, yes.

mike black
03-09-2010, 07:58 AM
No, it isn't.

King of Mars
03-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Given the role the internet plays in disseminating information in this age, I think you could make a case that Freedom of the Press issues make it necessary for people to have internet access that is unfettered by the government.

Jason California
03-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Given the role the internet plays in disseminating information in this age, I think you could make a case that Freedom of the Press issues make it necessary for people to have internet access that is unfettered by the government.

I would get behind that as long as there is nothing saying that there service must be provided.

mike black
03-09-2010, 08:17 AM

Freedom of the press doesn't guarantee everyone a free printing press. It just allows them to have one if they wish.

Buk Was Right
03-09-2010, 08:51 AM
This lady seems to think so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0zt4opqL18

Flint66606
03-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Freedom of the press doesn't guarantee everyone a free printing press. It just allows them to have one if they wish.

It also doesn't guarantee them free newspapers, just that the reporters can write what they want.

Jason California
03-09-2010, 08:58 AM

You look like a much sweeter guy without your beard.

Jef UK
03-09-2010, 09:04 AM
It's as fundamental to modern society as sewage managment.

I don't really care if you label it as a "right" or not. It doesn't matter.

Jef UK
03-09-2010, 09:06 AM
It's as fundamental to modern society as sewage managment.

I don't really care if you label it as a "right" or not. It doesn't matter.

And if some countries need to define access to the internet as a right of their people to get more of their people access to it, then that's fine--call it a "right." It's just a legal hurdle.

Mister Mets
03-09-2010, 09:06 AM
It also doesn't guarantee them free newspapers, just that the reporters can write what they want.

I think internet access is a fundamental right in the same context.

Jason California
03-09-2010, 09:08 AM
And if some countries need to define access to the internet as a right of their people to get more of their people access to it, then that's fine--call it a "right." It's just a legal hurdle.

How would you implement it?

Buk Was Right
03-09-2010, 09:14 AM
You look like a much sweeter guy without your beard.

I'm not sure I understand the context here, but I trimmed my beard this morning so um... stop watching me in the bathroom from the hedges in front of my house.

Jason California
03-09-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure I understand the context here, but I trimmed my beard this morning so um... stop watching me in the bathroom from the hedges in front of my house.

It was the suit thread. just thought about how you looked there compared to most other pics of you with the beard is all. totally tangental post.

GelfXIII
03-09-2010, 09:22 AM
It's more complicated than just a "yes, no, and I like polls" question. The short answer is no, but the connection between a good education and a good internet connection are getting closer and closer. Schools are relying on students to have internet available and students without it are at a distinct disadvantage. Also the number of public services which are only available via internet is growing daily. If Govt makes "transparency" a focus of good government, but that transparency is only available to the well off in the country then there's something very wrong with that. Does everyone need a balzing fast T-3 15/15 Fios? no. Does everyone need to have access to the same govt services and educational opportunities? Yes.

Epic Conventions
03-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Phones should be a right...simple reason...9-1-1. Everyone should have the right to immediately call for help in an emergency.

Jason California
03-09-2010, 09:49 AM
I saws the entire scene that Epic conventions has in his sig this morning. That girl is applying for the job of personal assistant to the guy who is spanking her. She had just got done telling him how even though she was young she had the life experience to fulfill the job requirements.

At that point he has her stand at the table like that. He gives her the first spank and they go from there. as you can see she was initially surprised, but like a trooper keep on going. It is really quite nice.

Taxman
03-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Phones should be a right...simple reason...9-1-1. Everyone should have the right to immediately call for help in an emergency.A land line, or a cell phone? Does one only have a fundamental right to emergency services in their own home?

If you want to make that argument, you can just give people phones which can only be used for emergencies.

Buk Was Right
03-09-2010, 09:52 AM
It was the suit thread. just thought about how you looked there compared to most other pics of you with the beard is all. totally tangental post.

A couple more hours and I probably would have put that together...

Heh.

Flint66606
I think internet access is a fundamental right in the same context.Well, I certainly disagree. You have a right to be healthy, you don't have a right to health care. You have a right to free speech, you don't have a right to materials necessary to distribute or access said speech. Your rights end at the point that someone else must provide something to you, in my opinion.

Epic Conventions
i saws the entire scene that epic conventions has in his sig this morning. That girl is applying for the job of personal assistant to the guy who is spanking her. She had just got done telling him how even though she was young she had the life experience to fulfill the job requirements.

At that point he has her stand at the table like that. He gives her the first spank and they go from there. As you can see she was initially surprised, but like a trooper keep on going. It is really quite nice.

Dammit man!!! Where?!?! Where?!?! Answer me or i'll kill a kitten, in front of orphans, while dressed as Santa!!!!!

Flint66606
03-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Dammit man!!! Where?!?! Where?!?! Answer me or i'll kill a kitten, in front of orphans, while dressed as Santa!!!!!Agreed, except with a puppy, children in a cancer ward, and the easter bunny, respectively.

Jason California
03-09-2010, 09:56 AM
if you were to look for something related to "youjizz" you may be able to find something on the front page.

Buk Was Right
03-09-2010, 09:59 AM
if you were to look for something related to "youjizz" you may be able to find something on the front page.

See. THIS! This is why internet access is a fundamental right. The free and open exchange of totally necessary and important information.

Flint66606
03-09-2010, 10:01 AM
See. THIS! This is why internet access is a fundamental right. The free and open exchange of totally necessary and important information.I'm converted.

michealdark
03-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I think the right to access to media/information is a fundamental right, and the internet, for all its distorions, lies, and fallacies, is still a source of information. I think the right to internet access is about on the same level as access to books, magazines, and news papers

Jef UK
03-09-2010, 10:08 AM
How would you implement it?

First I'd look at how and why countries such as Finland and Estonia have already ruled that access is a human right for their citizens.

Here there be answers and contexts.

Epic Conventions
03-09-2010, 10:11 AM
*cries* I can't find it and I have to leave!!

russw
03-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Is food a fundamental human right? is fresh air? is health care? We need all of these things to live but do we have a right to them? what if you can't pay for these things does that mean you have a right to take them? Does it mean you have a right to expect that others will pay for them for you? Taken to extreme do you have a right to a car? what about a beach house or a pony?

Jason California
03-09-2010, 10:18 AM
OK, experiment time. for the next 5 min I will give a link to something I have found to anyone who pms me. I will be checking the time stamp of this post in relations to your pm so if you are out of time you are out of luck

Jason California
03-09-2010, 10:26 AM
OK. Time is up. Epic got it. Kinzie Kenner Secretary may help more.

Doug
03-09-2010, 10:30 AM

Links please, thanks.

I want you, Boomin Granny.
I need you, Boomin Granny.

Ryan F
03-09-2010, 10:31 AM
I think people are making the mistaken assumption that this means the government has to give you a computer and pay for your DSL connection...

King of Mars
03-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Freedom of the press doesn't guarantee everyone a free printing press. It just allows them to have one if they wish.Yeah, but isn't freedom of the press inextricably linked to the government not interefering with peoples' access to what is made on that printing press?

Joe Kalicki
03-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I think in this day and age when the post office no longer gives out forms to forward your mail and encourages you to fill one out online instead, and schools put homework assignments on their web page, that the internet should be a findamental right granted by the government.

mike black
03-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Yeah, but isn't freedom of the press inextricably linked to the government not interefering with peoples' access to what is made on that printing press?

Yes. I just realized I must have brain farted this morning and answered yes and no to this question.

Access to the internet is a right in that the government cannot interfere with unrestricted access to information on the internet - you don't have a right to free, subsidized internet access though.

Fourthman
03-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Acessing JefUK (and his posts) should be a right.

silverboy
03-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Only so much as it should be available at public libraries. That's it.

Flint66606
03-09-2010, 12:04 PM
OK, experiment time. for the next 5 min I will give a link to something I have found to anyone who pms me. I will be checking the time stamp of this post in relations to your pm so if you are out of time you are out of luck

Son of a bitch!!

russw
03-09-2010, 12:42 PM
I think in this day and age when the post office no longer gives out forms to forward your mail and encourages you to fill one out online instead, and schools put homework assignments on their web page, that the internet should be a findamental right granted by the government.

Gov't doesn't grant rights.

RickLM
03-09-2010, 12:49 PM
It occupies the same role as the public library.

Although documents like the Constitution or the Magna Carta or the Bible do not declare "libraries" as a fundamental right, many societies haved decided that it makes a hell of a lot of sense to fund free public libraries with tax dollars. It's a low-cost way to improve everyone's quality of life.

The Internet is essentially the same type of Public Good as a library system. It may not be a Right but there are very good arguments for spending tax money to expand access.

russw
03-09-2010, 12:50 PM
never mind

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6282UZ20100309

I guess this gov't thinks if they give you a "freebie" you will think they are granting you a right

Natty P
03-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Absolutely.

The Human Target
03-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Yes.

Or at least the communication and knowledge it provides are.

Heroic Age Moe
03-09-2010, 07:27 PM
haha.....no.

Treacle
03-09-2010, 09:43 PM
I'd rather see us get those other fundamental rights (like food, water, shelter, safety, and healthcare) all worked out first.

CapnChaos
03-09-2010, 10:01 PM
YES! Any excuse to link to that is welcome! :lol:

I saws the entire scene that Epic conventions has in his sig this morning. That girl is applying for the job of personal assistant to the guy who is spanking her. She had just got done telling him how even though she was young she had the life experience to fulfill the job requirements.

At that point he has her stand at the table like that. He gives her the first spank and they go from there. as you can see she was initially surprised, but like a trooper keep on going. It is really quite nice.
I really need to find this. :twisted:

Yes. I just realized I must have brain farted this morning and answered yes and no to this question.

Access to the internet is a right in that the government cannot interfere with unrestricted access to information on the internet - you don't have a right to free, subsidized internet access though.
I would agree with that. The internet isn't a right or a necessity, it's a convenience. The world got along without it for a very long time. But if you pay for the access or otherwise legally obtain it, the government should not be able to fetter what you can or cannot access.

I'd rather see us get those other fundamental rights (like food, water, shelter, safety, and healthcare) all worked out first.
I love your new sig.

Treacle
03-09-2010, 10:57 PM
I love your new sig.

Thanks! I think it's roughly 1,000% less creepy than the snake one. :)

Ahmed
03-10-2010, 12:37 AM
I voted No. Most people in the country I live in dont have internet access and get on just fine. Then again, were not so big on the whole fundemental rights thing.

Mister Mets
03-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Well, I certainly disagree. You have a right to be healthy, you don't have a right to health care. You have a right to free speech, you don't have a right to materials necessary to distribute or access said speech. Your rights end at the point that someone else must provide something to you, in my opinion.

It's a right in the context that the government shouldn't be able to announce tomorrow that anyone trying to access the internet will get five years in prison.

I don't think you have a right to free, unsubsidized internet access, same way the freedom of the press in the US does not mean the government will pay for your newspaper/ magazine subscriptions, and freedom of assembly doesn't mean the government subsidizes your transportation costs to protests.

Mister Mets
03-10-2010, 01:06 AM
I'd rather see us get those other fundamental rights (like food, water, shelter, safety, and healthcare) all worked out first.Seems to me that in the current era, internet access is an essential part on keeping tabs on the individuals providing the other fundamental "rights."

First I'd look at how and why countries such as Finland and Estonia have already ruled that access is a human right for their citizens.

Here there be answers and contexts.Estonia's a small flat country, where you can travel from one end to another in a few hours. The lack of truly remote areas probably makes it easier to provide everyone with internet access.

evilgenius
03-10-2010, 01:26 AM
That demand is worded REALLY badly. Let's see if I can shake it up a bit to make it more acceptable:

Internet access is a right when it is clearly available, as in you should not be able to bar someone from using the net, nor should you censor sites (If a site is breaking the law within your country, you shut it down).

Treacle
03-10-2010, 06:48 AM
Seems to me that in the current era, internet access is an essential part on keeping tabs on the individuals providing the other fundamental "rights."

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you explain?

Buk Was Right
03-10-2010, 09:59 AM
I voted No. Most people in the country I live in dont have internet access and get on just fine. Then again, were not so big on the whole fundemental rights thing.

The important thing is that your many princes have access to the internet. Otherwise they're never going to get their fortunes safely out of the country.

Gordon Chumway
03-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Maybe in the future, after homosexuals have equal rights and society has affordable health care. But right now we have bigger problems.