PDA

View Full Version : Billy Mitchell's Donkey Kong score has been beaten!

Fygar
03-08-2010, 09:27 PM
And not by Steve Wiebe!

Story courtesy of Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5488838/salute-your-new-king-of-kong

Hit documentary "King of Kong" portrayed the real life battle between Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe over the world's highest Donkey Kong score. It's moot now, however, because a new challenger has beaten them both.

The 2007 film ends on a happy note, Wiebe hitting a new record score of 1,049,100 in his garage. Shortly afterwards, however, "bad guy" Billy Mitchell trumps the former Boeing engineer, racking up a score of 1,050,200, which had stood for three years as the world's highest tally in the game.

But no more! Hank Chien, a plastic surgeon from New York (pictured below), has just beaten both "stars", breezing past Mitchell's mark to record a score of 1,061,700. His record has been officially verified by gaming authority Twin Galaxies, with the new score set on an original Donkey Kong cabinet in New York.

Jason California
03-08-2010, 09:31 PM
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/03/kongguy.jpg

batmanbooyah
03-08-2010, 09:31 PM
this is why we still have cancer.

The Crushtacean
03-08-2010, 09:32 PM
And not by Steve Wiebe!

Story courtesy of Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5488838/salute-your-new-king-of-kong

Hit documentary "King of Kong" portrayed the real life battle between Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe over the world's highest Donkey Kong score. It's moot now, however, because a new challenger has beaten them both.

The 2007 film ends on a happy note, Wiebe hitting a new record score of 1,049,100 in his garage. Shortly afterwards, however, "bad guy" Billy Mitchell trumps the former Boeing engineer, racking up a score of 1,050,200, which had stood for three years as the world's highest tally in the game.

But no more! Hank Chien, a plastic surgeon from New York (pictured below), has just beaten both "stars", breezing past Mitchell's mark to record a score of 1,061,700. His record has been officially verified by gaming authority Twin Galaxies, with the new score set on an original Donkey Kong cabinet in New York.

I eagerly await Billy Mitchell's grainy, conveniently-skipping video of his new high score.

Bedlam66
03-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Why exactly do I care about a Donkey Kong Score?

The Hodag
03-08-2010, 09:33 PM

I kind of agree, but the movie about the whole thing apparently made for entertaining geek drama.

Jason California
03-08-2010, 09:34 PM

We still have cancer because we don't fight big wars anymore. You have to do something to keep the herd down.

Fygar
03-08-2010, 09:36 PM

You tell me man, you're the one who entered the thread.

The Crushtacean
03-08-2010, 09:36 PM
We still have cancer because we don't fight big wars anymore. You have to do something to keep the herd down.

No, I'm pretty sure he's right. Cancer exists because plastic surgeons play Donkey Kong in their spare time. It's only logical.

Fygar
03-08-2010, 09:37 PM

Says the guy who has over eight thousand posts on a comic book message board :roll:

Let the man have his victory...geez.

batmanbooyah
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Says the guy who has over eight thousand posts on a comic book message board :roll:

Let the man have his victory...geez.

it's up to 8000? GO ME!

that was over 5 years! omg i've been here over 5 years? i am the reason why narcolepsy exists :(

Jason California
03-08-2010, 09:41 PM
The guy is Asian so he probably has a leg up on those other guys geneticly.

Criden
03-08-2010, 09:43 PM

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters is a terrific movie, and this information is worthwhile to those of us who enjoyed the movie. Thanks for making this thread, Fygar! To those who haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it.

Wigner's Friend
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm sure his parents are proud that those thousands of hours he spent fine tuning his motor skills as a surgeon are finally paying off.

Though, on the the bright side, the inevitable Wiebe/Mitchell team-up in King of Kong 2: Geeks United will have a solid adversary.

Shane McCarthy
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Hank Chien, a plastic surgeon from New York (pictured below)

And I glance down to see your sig picture and think, "Fuck, he looks just like Clooney."

Jason California
03-08-2010, 09:54 PM
And I glance down to see your sig picture and think, "Fuck, he looks just like Clooney."

That is why I made sure to post his picture in the very next post.

Fygar
03-08-2010, 09:56 PM

Hahaha that's awesome. At least you didn't look at my avatar, then you probably would have pooped your pants. Donkey Kong has the high score in Donkey Kong...arghhh!

gaspar
03-08-2010, 09:59 PM
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters is a terrific movie, and this information is worthwhile to those of us who enjoyed the movie. Thanks for making this thread, Fygar! To those who haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it.

I finally got around to watching the film last week and it was pretty great. Billy Mitchell was a huge dick throughout...glad to see someone, anyone, put this record further out of his reach. Sad to see it taken from Wiebe...seemed like a good dude, but congrats to Chien!

Spending hundreds/thousands of hours on an old DK cabinet isn't exactly my idea of a great time, but it's interesting that people still do it and are still breaking these high scores.

Ryan Elliott
03-08-2010, 10:14 PM
That guy is a nerd and he wasted his time!!

Haw haw!!!!11!

Supreme Convoy
03-08-2010, 10:28 PM
I eagerly await Billy Mitchell's grainy, conveniently-skipping video of his new high score.

:lol:

oconnellmd
03-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Yeah, if you watched the film, this is HUGE news to you. This makes me happy all over.

DaGetHighKnight
03-09-2010, 04:05 AM
I finally got around to watching the film last week and it was pretty great. Billy Mitchell was a huge dick throughout...glad to see someone, anyone, put this record further out of his reach. Sad to see it taken from Wiebe...seemed like a good dude, but congrats to Chien!

Spending hundreds/thousands of hours on an old DK cabinet isn't exactly my idea of a great time, but it's interesting that people still do it and are still breaking these high scores.

My sentiments exactly..

PatrickA
03-09-2010, 04:26 AM
Isn't Weibie going to try and beat the record live at some upcoming event?

Also...all I know about Twin Galaxies is what I saw in the movie, but it seems amazingly sketchy to me.

The Robot Lord of Tokyo
03-09-2010, 04:35 AM
I would like the name of this thread better if it was "Donkey Kong has beaten Billy Mitchell a score of times!".
I'm glad Mitchell has lost the title. Mostly because that title is all Mitchell has built his identity around. And his actions and behaviors when that title has been threatened have been petty or juvenile.
Pride is a good thing to have but humility and humbleness are much valued virtues.

Marcdachamp
03-09-2010, 04:36 AM
That was a great movie. Mitchell comes off like a total douche in the movie, so I'm happy to see him lose. I wish it had been Weibie, though.

Thanks for posting this, Fygar.

panco
03-09-2010, 04:44 AM
That was a great movie. Mitchell comes off like a total douche in the movie, so I'm happy to see him lose. I wish it had been Weibie, though.

Thanks for posting this, Fygar.

Yeah total douche. Yet I really wanted to taste that barbecue sauce that mitchell makes. Has anyone tasted it or been to his restaurant in Florida?

Rosdower 3.0
03-09-2010, 04:54 AM

Who cares that you don't care? :)

it's the BenBo, lots of silly shit on here. But if you're a retro/old school gamer or have seen the documentary 'King of Kong' it's pretty interesting.

Evan the Shaggy
03-09-2010, 05:14 AM
I fully expect to see a news story in the future that reads,

"Hank Chien mysteriously murdered. Only clue is a bottle of hot sauce."

Joe Kalicki
03-09-2010, 11:57 AM
But Steve Weiebe was in a movie with Reese Witherspoon, so in a way, he wins.

PatrickA
03-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah total douche. Yet I really wanted to taste that barbecue sauce that mitchell makes. Has anyone tasted it or been to his restaurant in Florida?

Friend of mine went there with someone who was friends with Mitchell and they all had dinner together.

he (my friend) said in real life Mitchell didnt come off anywhere near as douchey as he did in the film but then...I mean, how could he?

Blue Flash
03-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Friend of mine went there with someone who was friends with Mitchell and they all had dinner together.

he (my friend) said in real life Mitchell didnt come off anywhere near as douchey as he did in the film but then...I mean, how could he?

I think Mitchell was hamming it up for the cameras in the film.

Rafiennes
03-09-2010, 01:00 PM

Same here.
A friend tried the BBQ sauce and said it was really great and got to meet Mitchell. Said Mitchell was really nice and kind of embarassed by the movie.

Girlfriend In A Coma
03-09-2010, 04:48 PM
I wondered if he was really that big of a D-bag. LOL I love to hate Billy Mitchell in King of Kong. It's a gleeful kind of hate...

Garth
03-09-2010, 05:02 PM
I wondered if he was really that big of a D-bag. LOL I love to hate Billy Mitchell in King of Kong. It's a gleeful kind of hate...

Yeah, I get the impression that he is a D-bag, but perhaps not quite as big of a D-bag as he is portrayed in the film. But one thing is for sure. His wife doesn't mind showing her bosoms.

michealdark
03-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Thank GOD! Because Billy Mitchell is a fucking doucebag! God I hate that little bitch! :mad:

Girlfriend In A Coma
03-09-2010, 06:12 PM
I admit it. I went and bought a nintendo wii after watching King of Kong just so I could download the original.

I had to kill that monkey!

Marcdachamp
08-11-2010, 07:00 AM
DAMMIT! (http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/-king-of-kong-villain-reclaims-donkey-kong-throne/1407410)

Based on his portrayal in the breakout documentary "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters," classic game expert Billy Mitchell isn’t exactly the world's most likable guy. But at the International Video Game Hall of Fame's inaugural event, he proved that when it comes to video game chops, he's still tops.

Mitchell reclaimed the official Donkey Kong world record by amassing 1,062,800 points in the legendary barrel-hopping platformer, putting him ahead of former record holder Hank Chien by a mere 1,100.

But he didn’t stop there. Shortly after setting the new Kong mark, Mitchell went after the ape's lesser known son, racking up 1,270,900 in Donkey Kong, Jr. to claim that record, too. It took Mitchell 2 hours and 42 minutes to set the Donkey Kong mark and 3 hours and 58 minutes to top Donkey Kong, Jr.

Why go after both records? You could say Mitchell was just caught up in the moment.

"I remember a lot of celebration; hugs, kisses and a lot of hooting and hollering," he said in a release. "Once that died down, I stood there looking at Donkey Kong Jr. and thought 'there's one more thing I have to take care of'."

In "King of Kong," Mitchell was portrayed as the bad guy of the competitive classic gaming world, snubbing up-and-coming rival Steve Wiebe, a math teacher from Washington. Wiebe traveled to numerous locations to play Mitchell at Donkey Kong, including Mitchell's home town, but Mitchell repeatedly refused to participate in an organized match.

Undaunted, Wiebe beats Mitchell's existing Donkey Kong record in the movie's closing scenes, a record that would stand until Mitchell retook the crown in 2007. Chien stepped into the pair's to-and-fro battle by taking the crown in February, and his record stood until Mitchell's recent triumph.

Ryudo
08-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Both of the people in that movie acted like douches.

Marcdachamp
08-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Both of the people in that movie acted like douches.

Eh, maybe it was slanted, but I really felt like Mitchell was the douche.

ShortStack
08-11-2010, 07:20 AM

Yup! Newgrounds/ Behemoth got a few bottles made for them with custom labels. It's pretty tasty.

Ben
08-11-2010, 07:23 AM
DAMMIT! (http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/-king-of-kong-villain-reclaims-donkey-kong-throne/1407410)
Do they have to spoil the movie like that?

TheNatureRoy
08-11-2010, 08:01 AM
I admit it. I went and bought a nintendo wii after watching King of Kong just so I could download the original.

I had to kill that monkey!
You can't download the original -- you have to buy an old DK arcade machine if you want the original. (Which is what I did after watching the movie...)

capntightpants
08-11-2010, 08:03 AM
You can't download the original -- you have to buy an old DK arcade machine if you want the original. (Which is what I did after watching the movie...)

Man, just watching a movie has you buying a full-on machine? You got money to blow, don't you?

PeterSparker
08-11-2010, 08:13 AM

Is there any version of DK for the Wii?

Marcdachamp
08-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Man, just watching a movie has you buying a full-on machine? You got money to blow, don't you?

Dude, he's a pro-football player.

Marcdachamp
08-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Is there any version of DK for the Wii?

Yep. The original Nintendo games and the DK Country SNES games.

PeterSparker
08-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Yep. The original Nintendo games and the DK Country SNES games.

Sweet. I'm actually going to finally buy a Wii this weekend, and I was wondering if DK was available before this thread even got bumped. :) Thanks!

capntightpants
08-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Dude, he's a pro-football player.

Seriously? Because I couldn't tell from his profile. The avatar isn't enough proof. Or are you being sarcastic? I can't tell! :crazy:

Marcdachamp
08-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Seriously? Because I couldn't tell from his profile. The avatar isn't enough proof. Or are you being sarcastic? I can't tell! :crazy:

Maybe he is. I was just messing, but he could be. I'm pretty sure he's not, though. :lol:

Sweet. I'm actually going to finally buy a Wii this weekend, and I was wondering if DK was available before this thread even got bumped. :) Thanks!

No problem! Donkey Kong Country Returns will also be out this winter.

PatrickA
08-11-2010, 09:30 AM
I'd like to be the first to welcome Gale Sayers to the BendisBoard! ;)

Marcdachamp
08-11-2010, 09:32 AM
I'd like to be the first to welcome Gale Sayers to the BendisBoard! ;)

Shhh, I put some mashed potatoes on his seat when he wasn't looking.

TheNatureRoy
08-11-2010, 11:09 AM
A Donkey Kong machine isn't that expensive. I figured it would be cool to have in the office and it is.

Anyway... back to training camp. ;)

capntightpants
08-11-2010, 11:32 AM
A Donkey Kong machine isn't that expensive. I figured it would be cool to have in the office and it is.

Anyway... back to training camp. ;)

Just looked it up. I saw a DK Jr. up for $600. DK3 for $1600.

For me, plunking $600 on something which will allow me to play a single game does not warrant a spontaneous decision. But my job isn't great.

What are you doing in training camp? It's pre-season! Hit the field!

Whip
08-11-2010, 01:20 PM
We got a DK kill screen over here...

Fygar
08-22-2010, 10:09 PM
So I went to a classic arcade here in Pittsburgh the other night and played a legitimate Donkey Kong machine. I honestly have no idea how you can get good at this game! At this particular arcade you paid for time and all the machines were on free play. I seriously played DK for a good ten to fifteen minutes and never made it past the first stage! I am very embarrassed by this.

On the bright side I finally get what all the fuss is about with Asteroids! It's only taken nearly thirty years, but that game is great. I love the five button controls and the sound effects are incredible.

Gail Simone
08-22-2010, 11:44 PM
I once almost beat a level of Donkey Kong.

Where's my movie?

Ryan Elliott
08-22-2010, 11:50 PM
I once almost beat a level of Donkey Kong.

Where's my movie?

In the 25 cent bin.

:heart:

Fygar
09-20-2010, 06:41 AM
YES!

http://kotaku.com/5642690/the-king-of-kong-once-again-the-king-of-kong

michealdark
09-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Thank you God!

Jonny Z
09-20-2010, 07:10 AM
sweet!!!

Marcdachamp
09-20-2010, 07:13 AM
YES!

:lol: Awesome.

Stark Raving
09-20-2010, 07:42 AM
YES!

:rock::rock:

THWIP!
09-20-2010, 08:17 AM
That's fucking great.

Ryudo
09-20-2010, 08:19 AM
And that ref guy still hasn't shaved his creepy beard.

capntightpants
09-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Huzzah!

Marcdachamp
09-20-2010, 09:34 AM
And that ref guy still hasn't shaved his creepy beard.

He is one creepy guy. But I think you'd have to be in his position.

costello
09-20-2010, 11:39 AM
I feel for his wife.

Fygar
03-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Mitchell and Wiebe finally went head to head!

Cool little story
http://www.1up.com/features/king-of-kong-stars-finally-head-to-head?pager.offset=0

michealdark
03-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Did I ever mention that I think Billy Mitchell is a dick?