PDA

View Full Version : How good is the Ultimate Universe post Ultimatum?

Jason California
03-08-2010, 09:09 PM
I have read the first issue of Ultimate X, but that is as far as post Ultimatum UM. I stopped reading UM right around Nightcrawler and the Morlocks .

Is it worth getting back into now? Will I have anything similar to the sense of excitement I had when the line first came out?

Kirblar
03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
USM's is more fun, actually, since it's using the other teams' break-up to do something neat.

It's hard to say with the other books though. Avengers is still in set-up mode.

artimoff
03-08-2010, 09:16 PM
It's Bendis, Millar & Ellis.

Skip Loeb.

Bedlam66
03-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Avengers is pretty Fucking Sweet.

nick maynard
03-08-2010, 09:17 PM
honestly, everything is exactly as good as it was before.

USM is still amazing. it feels fresh again but that has more to do with the new art team, i think.

jeph loeb's ultimates is slightly better, in my opinion, because of some amazing frank cho art work. but the quality of the story seems about the same. if you liked it before, you'll like it still (and vice versa).

i don't enjoy millar's ultimate avengers anywhere near how much i enjoyed the original volumes of the ultimates, though.

Thudpucker
03-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Loving USM. The story is going in such a completely unpredictable, fun direction that it's become the book I look forward to most every month.

The rest of the line... it isn't doing much for me.

Ultimate Comics Avengers is kind of interesting but most of the new characters Millar created aren't very appealing to me and I don't like the new Red Skull at all. Too over the top. I didn't enjoy Ultimate Armor Wars very much either.

Kirblar
03-08-2010, 09:25 PM
i don't enjoy millar's ultimate avengers anywhere near how much i enjoyed the original volumes of the ultimates, though.
It feels like he's doing whatever he had planned for his Ultimate Captain America story reworked as the opening arc.

nick maynard
03-08-2010, 09:53 PM
It feels like he's doing whatever he had planned for his Ultimate Captain America story reworked as the opening arc.
i bet you're right.

Supreme Convoy
03-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm enjoying Ultimate Avengers. Worth checking out.

Ultimate X #1 is a strong start, really dug it. I'll definitely check out the rest.

New Ultimates has stunning art (the cover alone is cool) but the story didn't hook me in to check out the rest.

BENDIS!
03-08-2010, 10:27 PM
its awesome!!

Jason California
03-08-2010, 11:08 PM
its awesome!!

That settles it then. It must be good.

Greygor
03-09-2010, 12:16 AM
its awesome!!

Great an unbiased view

Of course though, he is right, even Loeb turned in a good first issue of Ultimate X

evilgenius
03-09-2010, 04:16 AM
its awesome!!

NO! It is notawesome!

:mad:

... actually, USM is ok :)

Ultimate X is ... umm.. too early for me to say, it had some cringe-worthy moments tho :S

Don't really care for Ultimate Avengers (at least not the last issue, the rest were ok), and Ultimates was just pure 'tard in a can. Couldn't finish reading it from the pure amounts of stupid and wrong.

Armor wars tho? Very nice.

Ultimate Enemy is also too early for me to judge. Since it's a big ol mystery plot, I need to see that mystery unravel before I can properly decide on anything :) It's got some silly bits I didn't really like in the first issue, but the second one was pretty good.

JHickman
03-09-2010, 04:27 AM

Flint, you should edit that. I know you're just being opinionated, but, in context, it's over the line.

panco
03-09-2010, 04:36 AM
USM : As good as this ever was. Delivering awesome stories and art for nearly 10 years.

UC New Avengers : Very cool so far. But the ways it's being built and all with 6 issues story arcs I think I'm going to switch to trades.

Ultimate X : I lied it a lot. I even made a thread about it.

Ultimate Comics New Avengers : Too soon to tell but I actually enjoyed that first issue. I know lot of people don't like what we can now call "the Loeb captions" but I really enjoy them. And that "Sam" cancer story and the way this resonates with Loeb's personnal life really melted my tiny heart. Very moving and touching.

bartleby
03-09-2010, 04:38 AM
I think ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN and ULTIMATE AVENGERS are both pretty great. ULTIMATE X was better than I expected. ULTIMATE COMICS: ARMOR WARS was a bit of a letdown after Ellis' other Ultimate work.

Right now, my biggest issue is that NEW ULTIMATES and ULTIMATE AVENGERS don't seem particularly well coordinated continuity-wise, which I thought was one of the biggest reasons for the reboot.

Evan the Shaggy
03-09-2010, 04:56 AM
I will say one minor nitpick is that I always felt like the Ultimate universe should be grounded in reality. Like some of the crazier elements could be in there, but stuff like magic and aliens could be kind of touched upon but not really delved into you know? The fantastical elements of the Ultimate U should be toned down a bit.

SidekicksRevenge
03-09-2010, 05:22 AM
By and large, I'm enjoying Spider-Man. Slowly but surely, I'm getting used to the style of the art in there and I like the potential that Aunt May's Boarding Home for Wayward Superteens has.

Avengers has been up and down on an issue-by-issue basis, but will probably read pretty well in one sitting.

Ultimate Armor Wars was fun, but had a disappointing ending. Ultimate Enemy has had its moments - where it ends up is going to dictate how much I truly enjoy how it's started.

Ultimate X makes me sad. The thing I was most looking forward to post-Ultimatum is what was going to happen with the Ultimate X-Men. I thought going forward without a Cyclops or a Wolverine was ballsy - and the first issue of Ultimate X brings in a Wolverine plot point and introduces us to Wolverine-light without giving us a whole lot of anything from the characters I wanted to see.

New Ultimates has solid character stuff with Hawkeye and Iron Man, but I still don't know if I'm ready to forgive Loeb for taking Hippie Thor away from me.

nick maynard
03-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Flint, you should edit that. I know you're just being opinionated, but, in context, it's over the line.
JEESH, maybe a mod should edit that. really not cool.

Zac Goyette
03-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Spider-Man is great, and so is Ultimate Avengers. I really enjoyed the first issue of Ultimate X. New Ultimates didn't blow me away. There were a few interesting things that I thought were cool, but it wasn't something that made me want to read the next issue right away. I haven't read Armor Wars.

NickT
03-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Didn't read New Ultimates, but the other stuff has been good.

RegularJoe
03-09-2010, 12:51 PM
ultimate spider-man gives me such a crazy comic-happy each month that i can hardly stand it.

Big Poot!
03-09-2010, 12:53 PM
It's the best Marvel stuff right now.

Ultaimte Spider-Man puts the "All Star" books to shame.

TheKraken
03-09-2010, 12:54 PM
USM is great, as good as its ever been. Much like before Ultimatum, I'm not buying anything else, tho'.

Xorn
03-09-2010, 02:32 PM
when will the first new ultimate spider-man trade be released`?

totalsellout
03-09-2010, 02:57 PM
usm is kicking all kinds of ass. this title was always great, post-ultimatum it has vastly improved.

ua is pretty cool, although i'm starting to hate millar's take on cap, and on america in general. but all the stories have been great so far.

nu had a decent first issue, with awesome cho art. i don't know if it's great but it seems to bea vast improvment over u3.

i liked uiw. ellis does a great douche-tony.

all in all, i think the catastrofuck of ultimatum has really opened up all the books. it is now, more then ever, a place where truly anything can happen. this is not a rehash of the 616, this is a place where creators can throw any concept they want around. ultimatum is kind of becoming like omd, hated the story but love it's affects of the books.

Taxman
03-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Is there really and Ultimate Ultimates? What separates this from Ultimate Avengers?

Jason California
03-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Is there really and Ultimate Ultimates? What separates this from Ultimate Avengers?

From what I understand the Avengers are Nick Furys black ops team.

Dude Pal
03-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Contrary to others, I have really been digging Ultimate Avengers. USM is still great, of course. And so far, Ultimate Enemy has been pretty fun. I haven't bothered to read anything else.

ultimate_lost87
03-09-2010, 04:35 PM
What you're not reading Ultimate Comics Spider-Man and Ultimate Comics Avengers? What's wrong with you? They're both top-notch books. (In fact, I'm very giddy for tomorrow's Spidey. Yippee!)

Ultimate Comics Enemy is really fun. I'm interested to see where it is going to go. Definitely some cool stuff there. Ultimate Comics X is good, but the first issue gave no indication of how the rest of the series would be. I'm very curious to see what happens next.

Armor Wars and New Ultimates are . . . meh. Warren Ellis had some cool stuff in Armor Wars, but I was hoping for some intel on Tony Stark's relative that randomly showed up in Avengers. New Ultimates is better than Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum but not by much.