PDA

View Full Version : The thread where we worship God of War III, Xbox Players will hate it

afroloq
03-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Let's start with the early review from Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5488156/god-of-war-iii-review-olympic-glory?skyline=true&s=i)

Evan the Shaggy
03-08-2010, 08:52 AM
I love God of War, it would be a big reason for me picking up a PS3.

panco
03-08-2010, 08:53 AM

Same here

afroloq
03-08-2010, 08:53 AM

I still have to finish the compilation.

Evan the Shaggy
03-08-2010, 08:54 AM

I haven't played God of War 2 yet, I should really pick up an old copy at some point.

Gregory
03-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Buying the game is my reward for finishing my minicomics. So it'll be mid-May, but I'll get it.

Cth
03-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Way to start a thread with gasoline.

:roll:

Maybe I'll finish this one :lol:

UltimateFactor
03-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Hell yeah. Got it all paid off and ready to go. And Resonance of Fate comes out the same day so I'll be in heaven.

MabusRex
03-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Still waiting to borrow the first 2 from a friend. Can't wait, though.

Supajoe
03-08-2010, 09:59 AM
there's no multiplayer, so why would xbox owners care?

i kid, i kid! :-)

really looking forward to this. i'll probably wait a couple of months to get it, though. i've got a backlog of games to get to.

BGPu
03-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Once I finish Uncharted 2 I'll start on the GoW Collection, so maybe I'll be ready to play GoW III by the end of summer.

BenH
03-08-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm torn because I want to play GoW III when it comes out next week, but I also want to play through my God of War collection first (on the PS2, I played 90% of #1 and never picked up #2). If I play both games back-to-back, I might be sick of the gameplay by the time I get GoW III. Decisions, decisions...

Buk Was Right
03-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Me too.

I got frustrated with that fucking part where you have to protect the translator guy.

I fucking hate "protect the totally helpless guy who has no business being anywhere near whatever is going on" parts of games. Fuck those guys... I'm out for me.

sto110
03-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Once I finish Uncharted 2 I'll start on the GoW Collection, so maybe I'll be ready to play GoW III by the end of summer.

yeah i am an xbox ownder who got a PS3 this year too. i finished uncharted 2, playing thru the first one now then its off ot the GOW collection before i plop moneys on III

looking forward to it, I will then own all the good PS3 games. :p

still cant seem to get MGS4 to "hook me", i get instantly bored with it.

mike black
03-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I've completely transformed into a PVP-only gamer in the last few years, so I'll say this - I loved the first GOW, beat it on Hard, and never got around to the second; Enjoy, guys!

JamesV
03-08-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm trying to play through the GOW just for some trophies before this comes out but it won't happen.

I'm very excited for this (Ultimate collection paid for).

Brewtown Andy
03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
As someone who's nearly completely turned his back on Sony for Microsoft in this generation, why will I not like GOW3?

Buk Was Right
03-08-2010, 12:30 PM
As someone who's nearly completely turned his back on Sony for Microsoft in this generation, why will I not like GOW3?

Partisanship.

mattbrand
03-08-2010, 12:31 PM
It's the reason I bought my PS3.

Brewtown Andy
03-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Partisanship.If there's one thing I like more than using my 360, it's not using my PS3?

Boris the Blade
03-08-2010, 12:42 PM
I'll probably grab it eventually, just have Brutal Legend, Mass Effect 2, Final Fantasy XIII, and a couple others before I can even get to God of War II, let alone the third.

Akira
03-09-2010, 08:31 AM
I can't wait. Finished the first GOW on the compilation last night and I'm gonna try and power through GOW2 before Tuesday.
I've had some twists spoiled for me so be wary of some reviews (specifically Joystiq and Gametrailers).

Jim.
03-09-2010, 09:29 AM
My website reviewed it here (http://fourplayercoop.com/reviews/2010/03/08/god-of-war-3-review/). I should have my hands on the review copy Friday, I'm pretty excited. I didn't play them until the collection came out and I loved GoW II.

Buk Was Right
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
I can't wait. Finished the first GOW on the compilation last night and I'm gonna try and power through GOW2 before Tuesday.
I've had some twists spoiled for me so be wary of some reviews (specifically Joystiq and Gametrailers).

These games have a plot?

I thought it was just screaming at the gods and tearing shit in half...

Garth
03-09-2010, 11:01 AM
I platinumed both on the compilation. I can't wait for the third, but don't agree with this thread's title

UltimateFactor
03-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Game Informer gave GoW 3 a perfect score of 10. I can't fuckin' wait.

Akira
03-09-2010, 02:37 PM
These games have a plot?

I thought it was just screaming at the gods and tearing shit in half...

I love the plots, but then again I'm a huge mythology geek.

Buk Was Right
03-09-2010, 02:41 PM

And I'm a huge tearing giant beasts in half and impaling them on their own pointy parts geek.

These games really have something for everyone!

mattbrand
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM

I think the stories for the GoW games have been fantastic so far. I'm psyched to see what happens in the third.

cmoney
03-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Got the Collection for Christmas, blew through both games in a week. That sort of relentless playing has only ever happened to me previously with Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Cannot wait for GoW III. Had $25 to Amazon so I pre-ordered it there. Hopefully they ship early enough that I wont' have to wait TOO long past the 16th to play it.

Buk Was Right
03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Got the Collection for Christmas, blew through both games in a week. That sort of relentless playing has only ever happened to me previously with Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Cannot wait for GoW III. Had $25 to Amazon so I pre-ordered it there. Hopefully they ship early enough that I wont' have to wait TOO long past the 16th to play it.

I keep waiting for an email from Amazon telling me that's they've switched it from 2 day to release day delivery.

Hopinghopinghoping...

cmoney
03-09-2010, 03:50 PM
I keep waiting for an email from Amazon telling me that's they've switched it from 2 day to release day delivery.

Hopinghopinghoping...

Not that it's anything more than them covering their asses, but they list March 22nd as an estimated ship date for me.

THWIP!
03-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Do it!

mattbrand
03-09-2010, 03:53 PM
If the release date is Tuesday March 16th that means the 17th in stores, right?

Bedlam66
03-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Way to start a thread with gasoline.

:roll:

Maybe I'll finish this one :lol:
Hey Cth where is your Cathullu Boob Shaker gif from?

Buk Was Right
03-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Not that it's anything more than them covering their asses, but they list March 22nd as an estimated ship date for me.

Eeeeenteresting. I just checked and it is indeed marked as release day delivery for me (Amazon PRIME bitches!). I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case when I ordered it, but I could be totally wrong.

Shit... that means I have some games to catch up on this weekend to clear my plate for God Of War III. #firstworldproblems

cmoney
03-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Eeeeenteresting. I just checked and it is indeed marked as release day delivery for me (Amazon PRIME bitches!). I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case when I ordered it, but I could be totally wrong.

Shit... that means I have some games to catch up on this weekend to clear my plate for God Of War III. #firstworldproblems

Even though I used a gift card, I'm cheap enough to go the free shipping route, so that'd explain it. :)

Michael Blacklist
03-09-2010, 04:14 PM
If the release date is Tuesday March 16th that means the 17th in stores, right?

If the shipping date was the 16th it would be in stores on the 17th. Release date means it'll be in stored on that day.

Jason California
03-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Is this the thread where I spew out God of War hate?

mattbrand
03-09-2010, 04:29 PM
If the shipping date was the 16th it would be in stores on the 17th. Release date means it'll be in stored on that day.

I see. Thanks.

Akira
03-09-2010, 05:42 PM
And I'm a huge tearing giant beasts in half and impaling them on their own pointy parts geek.

These games really have something for everyone!

:thumb:

JamesV
03-09-2010, 05:43 PM
New Kevin Buttler GoW 3 commercial!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/09/it-only-does-epic-trilogies/

I've loved this entire campaign and how they always give him a new title.

cmoney
03-09-2010, 06:31 PM
I need to stop reading reviews. I've still got at least 40 more hours of work to go before I even have a chance to touch this game, and if those hours were going to be interminable before, they're going to last at least an eternity now. :)

Ashwin Pande
03-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Get out your cum-rags. Here's the sex scene from God of War III.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/-contains-nudity-god-of-war/62769

Fygar
03-09-2010, 10:15 PM
New Kevin Buttler GoW 3 commercial!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/09/it-only-does-epic-trilogies/

I've loved this entire campaign and how they always give him a new title.

Best ad campaign in all of video games in a long while.

Garth
03-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Get out your cum-rags. Here's the sex scene from God of War III.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/-contains-nudity-god-of-war/62769

As much as I love God of War, these seem a bit forced at this point.

Ashwin Pande
03-09-2010, 11:15 PM
You mean you don't pull your dick out and start tugging on it like you're taking apart gift-wrapping as soon as the creepily rendered dolls don't actually do anything on screen? Psssht.

XXXenophile
03-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Still playing GOW 1 on the collection. Almost at the end though. Just got to get out of Hades and back to the Oracle's temple.

And hoping Best Buy will send me the Collector's Box Edition I ordered since they're the only ones still selling them.

XXXenophile
03-11-2010, 12:18 AM
And beat GOW 1 last night. Now on to 2.

afroloq
03-16-2010, 05:10 AM
Today GoW III drops...subtitled, "Kratos Kicks Olympic sized Ass"

mattbrand
03-16-2010, 05:28 AM
I'm going to pick it up a little after noon.

UltimateFactor
03-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Picking mine up tomorrow since Resonance of Fate isn't street dated so ships today but won't be in. Whoever gets it today post your thoughts!

Buk Was Right
03-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Mine is probably being delivered to the office as we speak... I am working from home today.

To use an internet witticism: FAIL!

afroloq
03-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Picking mine up tomorrow since Resonance of Fate isn't street dated so ships today but won't be in. Whoever gets it today post your thoughts!

I havent read a lot on this but what is Resonance of Fate? RPG shooter or hybrid?

cmoney
03-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Amazon only just sent mine today. But I'm on vacation next week, so it's probably for the best. :)

Akira
03-16-2010, 08:48 AM
mine should be waiting for me when i get home, but i may try and finish up part two before i play 3

XXXenophile
03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Best Buy sent out my shipping notice for the Ultimate Edition on Friday so I'm just waiting for it to show up at my door.

drdoomphd
03-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Toys R Us suckered me in on this one. Was going to wait, but they had a $20 gift card deal if I bought it from 10 am to 2 pm today. So there went my $60 at 10:05 this morning....

Garth
03-16-2010, 05:05 PM
About to load it up ;-)

Akira
03-16-2010, 05:09 PM
My Copy of GoW Collection kept freezing so I just gave up and decided to start GoW III tonight

UltimateFactor
03-16-2010, 05:37 PM
I havent read a lot on this but what is Resonance of Fate? RPG shooter or hybrid?

It's an RPG with lots of guns :lol: It kind of reminds me of a cross between Parasite Eve and Equilibrium. Here's a gameplay video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR5GnO3agLo

afroloq
03-16-2010, 06:33 PM
It's an RPG with lots of guns :lol: It kind of reminds me of a cross between Parasite Eve and Equilibrium. Here's a gameplay video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR5GnO3agLo

Cool! Thanks!! Now I see why my buddy was pissed off today since he wasn't getting GoW III....bastid

JamesV
03-16-2010, 08:23 PM
My guess is I'm about 35% of the way done.

Loving the fuck out of it. Some of these boss battles are insane.

cmoney
03-16-2010, 08:51 PM
My guess is I'm about 35% of the way done.

Loving the fuck out of it. Some of these boss battles are insane.

Like I said, I'm still waiting on my copy, but I watched my brother play his up through the first boss. Wonderfully brutal. :)

UltimateFactor
03-17-2010, 02:21 PM
For those who might not know, using any of the alternate Kratos Skins will shut off trophies, so it's best to wait until a later play through to use them if you are going to.

Garth
03-17-2010, 03:14 PM
For those who might not know, using any of the alternate Kratos Skins will shut off trophies, so it's best to wait until a later play through to use them if you are going to.

Are there skins that are available from the get-go? I didn't see any.

JamesV
03-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Well.

I loved the fuck out of that.

XXXenophile
03-17-2010, 04:31 PM
My game just arrived at the local post office. Hopefully will go out tomorrow.

Jason California
03-18-2010, 09:07 PM
I just saw a commercial for this thing. God that game is beautiful.

Garth
03-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Who wants the Phantom of Chaos skin (the pre-order from Gamestop prize), it is only available after beating the game at least once, but the first two people to respond in this thread get it. They gave me a couple extras ;-)

Professor Oreo
03-19-2010, 03:45 AM
Who wants the Phantom of Chaos skin (the pre-order from Gamestop prize), it is only available after beating the game at least once, but the first two people to respond in this thread get it. They gave me a couple extras ;-)

I'd love one! :)

afroloq
03-19-2010, 04:16 AM
me, please

mattbrand
03-19-2010, 04:20 AM

Jeez, that's good to know.

I pre-ordered from Gamestop, so I got the skin, but decided to hold off on using it, just to play it with the original character design.

I'm in Hades right now, loving the game.

Garth
03-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Jeez, that's good to know.

I pre-ordered from Gamestop, so I got the skin, but decided to hold off on using it, just to play it with the original character design.

I'm in Hades right now, loving the game.

You don't even have the option of using the skin from Gamestop. You have to beat the game at least once before you can use the skin. I just beat Hades last night, that boss battle took me hours.

afroloq
03-19-2010, 07:21 AM
You don't even have the option of using the skin from Gamestop. You have to beat the game at least once before you can use the skin. I just beat Hades last night, that boss battle took me hours.

Wow...it took me about 30 minutes once I got the hang of what I needed to do!!! I had tot take a break tho afterwards!!

The beating of Hades was rewarding!

mattbrand
03-19-2010, 07:29 AM

Ah, OK.

I'm up to the 3 stone guardians. So far, this game is amazing. I'm so impressed that they managed to improve the gameplay from the 2nd one.

Akira
03-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Wow...it took me about 30 minutes once I got the hang of what I needed to do!!! I had tot take a break tho afterwards!!

The beating of Hades was rewarding!

Yeah, I think all together Hades took me about 45 minutes on Titan difficulty. Hell, he was easier than Poseidon/Water Spider Horse.

Hoggie
03-19-2010, 08:49 AM
I tried starting out on Titan but after dying 10 times with the crab water horse thing I was like, I want to enjoy this not do this :frustrat: So I started over on God. So far I have beat hades and helios. I liked how the helios level was not exactly like the demo. Loving the game so far, I agree the gameplay is a little better. I do wish when you unleashed the power of the titans you were on fire like in II. I don't know how far I am but I hope there is much more to come.

UltimateFactor
03-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Just started playing today, thought I'd just split my time between this and FF XIII instead of playing one through then the other. Game is fuckin' Epic, loving it so far.

XXXenophile
03-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Finally got the Pandora's Box today. Cool looking thing with great art book.

The soundtracks though are all downlodable off of PSN.

JamesV
03-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Finally got the Pandora's Box today. Cool looking thing with great art book.

The soundtracks though are all downlodable off of PSN.

They DL to your computer though. So that's nice.

Garth
03-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I am playing through on Titan. And it is pretty fucking rough. I spent forever on Hades as I mentioned...like 1 1/2 hours two nights ago--still couldn't beat him. I came at him refreshed the next day and for some reason picked right up on his attacks. Took maybe 7 tries and he was toast. I will say that after the first 3 sections of the battle, the rest is insanely easy.

Buk Was Right
03-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Finally started it up last night.

Holy shit... this game is BIG. I just got the
Flaming bow

Can't wait to get some more in tonight.

Akira
03-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I am playing through on Titan. And it is pretty fucking rough. I spent forever on Hades as I mentioned...like 1 1/2 hours two nights ago--still couldn't beat him. I came at him refreshed the next day and for some reason picked right up on his attacks. Took maybe 7 tries and he was toast. I will say that after the first 3 sections of the battle, the rest is insanely easy.

Wait till you get to Hercules. Bloody hell, I wanted to kill my controller last night fighting him.

Hoggie
03-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Wait till you get to Hercules. Bloody hell, I wanted to kill my controller last night fighting him.

Really? I gave up on titan after I couldn't even beat the water horse after 10 attempts. I figure I will go back and just enjoy it the first time around. Back in the day I didn't finish GOWII because I refused to switch it to normal and couldn't get past the part right before the giant fat medussa when you have to fight almost every kind of enemy. I though hercules was way easier than hades. if you use hades blades and use attacks from far away it is easy. Though is does take some time since you can only get a couple good ones in before he gets close. Jumping a lot and using triangle helped too

Garth
03-23-2010, 09:37 AM

Hercules didn't take me that long actually. Hades has been the hardest so far. I have grown accustomed to this difficulty level and am actually breezing through it pretty quickly now. I am sure that this post will come crashing down on me when I get to more of the end battles.

DC Camel
03-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Yeah, the difficulty picks up as you get closer to the end.

Hoggie
03-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Hercules didn't take me that long actually. Hades has been the hardest so far. I have grown accustomed to this difficulty level and am actually breezing through it pretty quickly now. I am sure that this post will come crashing down on me when I get to more of the end battles.

I'm sure you have a couple Hulk rage moments ahead of you.

By the way I am stuck in hera's garden with the water and the chalices. For the life of me I can't figure out how to fill the last cup? help?

DC Camel
03-23-2010, 09:59 AM
By the way I am stuck in hera's garden with the water and the chalices. For the life of me I can't figure out how to fill the last cup? help?[/QUOTE]

You have to get the cup to stay down, ignore the water, use the stairs and think about how things fit from the angle you're seeing it not Kratos's.

Garth
03-23-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm sure you have a couple Hulk rage moments ahead of you.

By the way I am stuck in hera's garden with the water and the chalices. For the life of me I can't figure out how to fill the last cup? help?

DC gave a good hint, I will just say this... It doesn't necessarily need to be water to weigh the cup down.

Akira
03-24-2010, 08:32 AM
DC gave a good hint, I will just say this... It doesn't necessarily need to be water to weigh the cup down.

Yup. And in order to do that, you have to think "4th dimensionally" so to speak. That took me close to 30 minutes to do last night.

Humphrey_Lee
03-24-2010, 08:49 AM
I no doubt died about 300 times playing on Titan, but, I can probably chalk a third of those up to not having played GoW2, so I had no experience with some of the new combat controls like the counter system and yadda yadda. That, and being honest, the game really does not give you any indication on how to kill some enemies. In the Gardens when you first fight those goat looking things with the double bladed staffs, I died to those bastards 20 times because after kicking the shit out of them for five minutes each try I would never get a prompt and they'd eventually take me down. Took me those 20 tries to realize there was no prompt, and you had to wear them down to a certain amount and grab their staffs away from them.

Sometimes that game just goes out of it's way to annihilate you on Titan mode though. The spike room in the Labyrinth was almost controller throwing worthy.

Hoggie
03-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Man you guys are going to make me work for it huh, nice. I thought maybe use hera to weight it down but then there was no way to get her up there (I think). I have been standing on it but can't figure how to use the stairs to get up to the upper platform. I need to give it a fresh look but last time I was at a total loss. I'm sure its straight forward but I am just not seeing it.

Speaking of not using countering, thats me. I totally forgot how important that is. I have only done it a couple times in GOWIII, but it is block then square right? It sure makes fighting minotaurs and other big enemys easier.

Hoggie
03-24-2010, 08:57 AM

You have to get the cup to stay down, ignore the water, use the stairs and think about how things fit from the angle you're seeing it not Kratos's.[/QUOTE]

I thought about this and thought I tried to find a way to wedge the cup down with the stairs but didn't get it to work.

Garth
03-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Sometimes that game just goes out of it's way to annihilate you on Titan mode though. The spike room in the Labyrinth was almost controller throwing worthy.

Yeah, having played GoW2 would have helped no doubt. I played through all the games previous games (and then again when the collection was released) and it still took me a while to get back into the groove of things. Let's compare how many times we died upon completion, the statistics keep track for you ;-) I have spent tons of time just falling and dying in this one though, trying to make sure I don't miss any areas.

Speaking of not using countering, thats me. I totally forgot how important that is. I have only done it a couple times in GOWIII, but it is block then square right? It sure makes fighting minotaurs and other big enemys easier.

Yes. The blocking is absolutely essential. For whatever reason I forgot about that aspect and was killed an incredible amount of times just due to not using the block/parry move. And yes, after blocking at the moment just before impact, if you hit square, he will retaliate. After you upgrade your blades, you can eventually use triangle instead of square, for a stronger move.

The best thing I've found is when fighting the gorgons (the medusa, snake women) they will use their gaze to turn you to stone. If you block at the right moment, the game will ask for a quick button mini game. If you complete it, Kratos will successfully block and the gaze will turn all enemies nearby to stone. I have got out of so many tough pinches this way.

Akira
03-24-2010, 07:07 PM
i would just like to say:

FUCK THE SCORPION RIGHT IN IT'S FUCKING ASS!

cmoney
03-24-2010, 07:32 PM
You guys all start out on Titan right away? I played through in two marathon sessions (thanks vacation!) on Normal. Really badass game.

Garth
03-24-2010, 07:35 PM
i would just like to say:

FUCK THE SCORPION RIGHT IN IT'S FUCKING ASS!

I beat him earlier today. He was pissing me off like no other. That tail attack was beyond difficult to dodge.

Akira
03-24-2010, 07:38 PM
I think my anger at the last hour I spent trying to kill this prick humored my fiance a little bit.

DC Camel
03-24-2010, 07:42 PM
I beat him earlier today. He was pissing me off like no other. That tail attack was beyond difficult to dodge.

Ya, using the hermes boots as he winds up the tail seemed to work for me.

DC Camel
03-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Man you guys are going to make me work for it huh, nice. I thought

You're on the right track with Hera in the cup, you have to situate the stairs column the right place to take her up. It doesn't make sense in the real world but the green eye makes things connect through angles like that game Echochrome if you ever played it.

Hoggie
03-25-2010, 07:57 AM
You're on the right track with Hera in the cup, you have to situate the stairs column the right place to take her up. It doesn't make sense in the real world but the green eye makes things connect through angles like that game Echochrome if you ever played it.

Thanks for the tips guys. The first time around I probably would have got it but I had the stairs going the wrong way :mad:. The floor made it totally obvious, and I knew it was something simple. THe optical illusion of it all is really pretty cool. Anywho, onto the scorpion. So far I have only been able to get half of his legs down.

Yesterday I got to spend some time playing on my big TV and surround sound cranked, because with a small kid and work I'm usually trapped in my bedroom with 27 in. It was awesome! The graphics and sound viewed and heard how they are suppose to was impressive.

Garth
03-25-2010, 08:24 AM
My fight with Zeus has begun. It will not be easy, I can tell already.

Humphrey_Lee
03-25-2010, 08:34 AM
You guys all start out on Titan right away? I played through in two marathon sessions (thanks vacation!) on Normal. Really badass game.

I start every game I play on hard now, because "Normal" is usually for the casual gamers I find anymore, y'know, those that play maybe a handful a games a year, while I play triple to quadruple that. And because there's always a trophy for playing on Hard that you need to get a Platinum and it pisses me off when I nearly miss a platinum because of that trophy making me play it twice. The only one I'm missing in Batman is that, bleh.

Garth
03-25-2010, 09:00 AM
I start every game I play on hard now, because "Normal" is usually for the casual gamers I find anymore, y'know, those that play maybe a handful a games a year, while I play triple to quadruple that. And because there's always a trophy for playing on Hard that you need to get a Platinum and it pisses me off when I nearly miss a platinum because of that trophy making me play it twice. The only one I'm missing in Batman is that, bleh.

Same here. And with GoW, I felt fairly comfortable with my abilities. Not that I am any great shakes, I just have the fortitude to keep going till I either crack my LCD or luckily beat the game.

Batman is a MUCH more difficult game on Hard. Made for a good challenge, but also a frustrating endurance test at times.

Akira
03-25-2010, 09:07 AM
This. The only game I want to platinum that I purposely won't start on the hardest level is Uncharted. Because I know it'll take me a couple playthroughs to get all the special kills and treasures anyway.

Same here. And with GoW, I felt fairly comfortable with my abilities. Not that I am any great shakes, I just have the fortitude to keep going till I either crack my LCD or luckily beat the game.

Absolutely. I made it to the end of GoW 1 recently on Hard and got about 1/3 through GoW2 on Titan mode before the collection started freezing on me, so I felt confidant enough to go all in on GoW 3

Garth
03-25-2010, 09:11 AM
This. The only game I want to platinum that I purposely won't start on the hardest level is Uncharted. Because I know it'll take me a couple playthroughs to get all the special kills and treasures anyway.

Yep. And I don't think Crushing is typically available from the get-go. I will start on Hard, and know I have another playthrough to grab everything I missed.

Absolutely. I made it to the end of GoW 1 recently on Hard and got about 1/3 through GoW2 on Titan mode before the collection started freezing on me, so I felt confidant enough to go all in on GoW 3

The only one I haven't been able to beat on the hardest mode was the first one. That clone battle, where you are protecting your family made me contemplate my worth.

Hoggie
03-25-2010, 09:30 AM
GOW games are definitley a good challenge on hard. I too start most games on hard but on this one I had to drop it to god. I just didn't want to spend the first week playing GOW III freaking out screaming at the tv and punching the bed. There is plenty of time for that.

Akira
03-25-2010, 09:34 AM
The only one I haven't been able to beat on the hardest mode was the first one. That clone battle, where you are protecting your family made me contemplate my worth.
Yeah, I figured getting that far was half the battle and just wussed out to easy on my 50th death in that scene.

Garth
03-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Just beat it on Titan, and boy are my hands tired.

Akira
03-27-2010, 06:49 AM

I'm still stuck on (what I hope) is the final room of the labyrinth. You, sir, are a gaming god to me.

Humphrey_Lee
03-27-2010, 07:00 AM

Sadly, that Zeus fight was hard, especially on Titan, but there were areas in the regular game I died at more. He was one of the easiest patterns to discern, it was just a bitch to beat him down appropriately. Definitely was less frustrated by him than I was in the spike room of the Labyrinth.

Akira
03-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Sadly, that Zeus fight was hard, especially on Titan, but there were areas in the regular game I died at more. He was one of the easiest patterns to discern, it was just a bitch to beat him down appropriately. Definitely was less frustrated by him than I was in the spike room of the Labyrinth.

I was scared of the spike room when I saw you guys talking about it here, but I think I only needed 3 or 4 tries to beat it.

JamesV
03-27-2010, 07:41 AM
I was scared of the spike room when I saw you guys talking about it here, but I think I only needed 3 or 4 tries to beat it.

Yknow what the most lucrative career in fictional universe of video games must be? Spike manufacturer. Between the Gods and Doc Willy, you'd be set for life.

Ruwan Jay
03-27-2010, 08:31 AM
God of Warr III might be the reason why i go back to being a dual console owner again. it looks siiiick...

Garth
03-27-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm still stuck on (what I hope) is the final room of the labyrinth. You, sir, are a gaming god to me.

Yeah, unfortunately, beating the game on Titan just unlocks an EXTRA hard difficulty. I don't think there is a trophy involved though, so I doubt I will abuse myself that much.

Oh I agree. Once I got lots of the stuff down it wasn't TOO TOO difficult. Though there were some pretty impossible moments sprinkled throughout. It took me a good couple of hours to to do it. But it wasn't quit the bear I was expecting it to be. The ending was fun, but I also found it slightly anticlimactic. Though that probably has most to do with the buildup. I do wonder where the series will go from here. If we will have a different God of War antihero. Or what. The ending leaves it pretty open.

Yeah, I didn't struggle with it too much, the most difficult part was having to start back at the initial spike room, and go through each rotation again after a silly mistake. Each God of War game has a spike room of frustration. :twisted:

Cth
03-29-2010, 07:07 AM
Finished it yesterday!

Onto the challenges now.

That ending was starting to get into MGS levels of pretentiousness.

I had to laugh at some of the reactions fans had to it..

I mean, how many times has he "died" before?

The phoenix in the stone and the blood trail leading away.. its not the end :D

Initially I was going to pass because of some of the over the top gore (the head ripping one) but glad I gave it another shot. As expected, they do epic scale perfect, and some of the boss fights were unreal :)

I know it'll be an unpopular opinion, but really, the voice actor for Kratos blows. It's a shame they couldn't get someone else, given all the other voice actors surrounding him. I understand they want to be consistent, but I cringed everytime he talked :D

Poor Kevin Sorbo.. he's always going to be stuck as Herc isn't he? :D

Any advice for the challenges?

Hoggie
03-29-2010, 07:18 AM
I have only had one moment on this game (thank god) that makes me want to kill in real life. The last flying section is total BS. Once hit something there is no way to see/recover, making it im-fucking-possible for me. Besides that I am happy with the difficulty level, although I am scared to start my titan game. To those who stuck with it I comend you.

Garth
03-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Any advice for the challenges?

I beat them yesterday. There are some good strategy guides online. A couple are incredibly difficult, but nothing that trumps some of the other GoW Challenge rooms. Let me know which ones you struggle on and I'll see if I can help.

I have only had one moment on this game (thank god) that makes me want to kill in real life. The last flying section is total BS. Once hit something there is no way to see/recover, making it im-fucking-possible for me. Besides that I am happy with the difficulty level, although I am scared to start my titan game. To those who stuck with it I comend you.

YES! That last flying part was complete bullshit. I was ready to throw my tv out the window.

cmoney
03-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I know it'll be an unpopular opinion, but really, the voice actor for Kratos blows. It's a shame they couldn't get someone else, given all the other voice actors surrounding him. I understand they want to be consistent, but I cringed everytime he talked :D

I don't disagree. At times he sounds way too much like my friends and I trying to sound badass as children. :)

Buk Was Right
03-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Soooooooooooooo far behind you guys.

I just got out of Hades... I'm savoring dammit!

stephenp01
03-29-2010, 01:45 PM
My god, the get stoned challenge is ridiculous. Any tips? Its the last one I have to do.

Garth
03-29-2010, 04:22 PM
My god, the get stoned challenge is ridiculous. Any tips? Its the last one I have to do.

Yeah, I think I got lucky on that one. The best tip I can give you is speed. Remember that a good way to spur the gorgon to blast you is by attempting to grab them. They will blast and if you attempt to block that blast a quick-time game will start, if you mess up the button push you will immediately turn to stone. This is a great way to control when and where you are turned to stone. Things don't really start heating up till the 7th time, so be prepared for it to get fucking brutal. Though also remember that there isn't a time limit, so if things get hairy, you can do the quick-time correctly and freeze everyone around you. I did this during my 9th stone, and another gorgon then turned me to stone, so I could safely escape while all the other enemies were still frozen. Good luck!

Garth
03-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Oh, and not to be a braggart or anything, but the Platinum GoWIII trophy is officially mine.

Akira
03-31-2010, 08:31 AM
Finally, finally, finally beat Titan mode last night. I dug the ending being something other than what you would've expected. It reminded me a bit of the battle with The Sorrow in MGS3

Buk Was Right
04-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Finished last night.

Fuck Zeus. That guy is a dick.

You guys stuck around until the end of the credits right?