PDA

View Full Version : JMS is the new Wonder Woman/Superman writer

Masculine Todd
03-08-2010, 05:19 AM
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/jms-superman-wonder-woman-100308.html

"For as long as I've been doing conventions (starting in the early Cretaceous period, when it was just me and a handful of pterosaurs on a panel debating whether or not mammals with opposable thumbs were really necessary to the writing of quality comics, a point still hotly debated today), there has always been the same question from folks in the audience: ‘Is there any one character who is your dream character to write for?’ The answer has always been the same: Superman. When I first came over to DC, that dream was realized in part by Dan DiDio's gracious invitation to write the first of potentially many Superman original graphic novels. Now the dream has come fully true with the opportunity to write for the mainstream title, in a story that returns Superman to his roots in a way that will have the whole country talking about him in ways that we haven't seen in a long time.

“Similarly, the chance to write Wonder Woman - the nearest analogue to Superman in the DCU - is massively exciting. She's a vital, powerful character, and we hope to bring a more contemporary sensibility to her character will retaining everything that makes her unique."

Sold!

AndrewG
03-08-2010, 05:29 AM
Good to see he's being used for something other than Brave and the Bold and OGNs. Wasn't a huge fan of his run on Spider-Man but I'm not as invested in Superman or Wonder Woman so I'll try to have an open mind about it

Doug
03-08-2010, 05:31 AM
Sounds good to me.

Masculine Todd
03-08-2010, 05:34 AM
Good to see he's being used for something other than Brave and the Bold and OGNs. Wasn't a huge fan of his run on Spider-Man but I'm not as invested in Superman or Wonder Woman so I'll try to have an open mind about it

His run on Amazing may be among the most polarizing prolonged stays of any series of the last decade.

I fall in the camp of being one of the people who will follow Straczynski nearly anywhere because of Amazing and Midnight Nation.

Fake Pat
03-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Sounds good to me.

Sounds painful to me.

Ray G.
03-08-2010, 05:37 AM
If his runs on this title are anything like his run on Thor, this could be great.

AndrewG
03-08-2010, 05:38 AM
His run on Amazing may be among the most polarizing prolonged stays of any series of the last decade.

I fall in the camp of being one of the people who will follow Straczynski nearly anywhere because of Amazing and Midnight Nation.

I liked Midnight Nation and Rising Stars and Squadron Supreme and there were some great story moments in ASM but it never felt like a Spider-Man story to me. Brave and the Bold has been horrid though.

He's definately a name people get excited about so him on 2 of DCs flagship characters make sense. Should bump up the bookstore sales of those titles a bit.

How long before the Lois and Clark marriage is dissolved though?

Ray G.
03-08-2010, 05:38 AM

It's probably safer with him than with anyone else. He's not going to want to become that guy. :)

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
03-08-2010, 05:40 AM
I'm intrested. I'll be more interested, or maybe less interested, when they announce who is on art.

Jonny Z
03-08-2010, 05:42 AM
works for me! I'll finally be able to give the current Wonder Woman series a shot

AndrewG
03-08-2010, 05:44 AM
It's probably safer with him than with anyone else. He's not going to want to become that guy. :)

Could be fun. Then he'll move onto Flash and then go back to Marvel and write Fantastic Four.

TheTravis!
03-08-2010, 05:45 AM
Presumably sometime in the run, Steve Trevor has sex with the Cheetah.

LenNWallace
03-08-2010, 05:52 AM
Could be hit or miss for me. Hated, hated, HATED his Spidey run, but his run on Supreme Power makes me think his take on these characters could be interesting. Could also be cool to possibly see him reunited with Gary Frank on Superman of all things.

joeAR
03-08-2010, 06:33 AM
If he was writing anything else but Wonder Woman i'd buy it. Gail couldn't get me interrested in the character so nobody can.

DAVE
03-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Looking forward to see what he blames on the DC editors a few years from now!

AndrewG
03-08-2010, 06:35 AM

Haha

Doug
03-08-2010, 06:36 AM

What I said in the DCU thread:
My guess:
Superman makes a deal with Neron to save Ma Kent's life, but Neron takes away Lois and Clark's marraige. This will bring back the romatic triangle with Lois, Clark, and Superman.

DAVE
03-08-2010, 06:36 AM
JMS is gonna be pissed when he realizes that one of Superman's weaknesses is magic.

Gregory
03-08-2010, 06:38 AM
Any word on the WW artist yet?

RegularJoe
03-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Any word on the WW artist yet?

i hope it's NOT nichola scott and she goes back to secret six.

NickT
03-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Good choice, but I wont read them. After The Twelve I'm done with him I think.

The Hodag
03-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Did anyone read his Brave & the Bold Story where Flash (Barry) travels back in time to World War II and decides he can't help the Blackhawks kill Nazis because he's a superhero? See, he hurt his leg and if he can't run around, clearly it's time to pick up a gun. But he overcomes it all by putting on a soldier's uniform and learns the redemptive power of gunning down Nazis at last.

It's a weird story all around.

I think that's where these runs are likely to falter. JMS doesn't have much love of adventure for adventure's sake and I think his "idea man" side is gonna have the characters getting shoehorned.

His Thor run was alright, though.

CapnChaos
03-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Hated his Spidey run. Just awful. But I think a good chunk of that was Marvel's editorial staff. So you could say I hear this with trepidatious pessimism that would love to be proven wrong.

Ultimate Lurker
03-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Lana had sex with Brainiac? Their love child aged rapidly and is actually Jimmy Olsen? Krypton isn't an actual planet, but an extra-dimensional magic realm, which gave Superman his powers, but also makes him weak against worldly magic?

Xorn
03-08-2010, 08:00 AM
both superman and wonder woman, eh? might try them out in trade. though jms never seemed to be a writter that can handle too many titles at once. sure, he wrote 2 or 3 series at once at marvel, but then something happened and delayed stuff.
also, strange that he writes superman proper and the ogn's.

Masculine Todd
03-08-2010, 08:07 AM
I liked Midnight Nation and Rising Stars and Squadron Supreme and there were some great story moments in ASM but it never felt like a Spider-Man story to me. Brave and the Bold has been horrid though.

He's definately a name people get excited about so him on 2 of DCs flagship characters make sense. Should bump up the bookstore sales of those titles a bit.

I've not read his Brave and the Bold run yet (trade waiting), but I'm a bit hesitant with all the mixed reviews.

Without an editorial hard-on for ending their marriage, I imagine they're safe. Joey Q was the reason for the marriage's disintegration.

The Hodag
03-08-2010, 08:09 AM
"Hurr, what's Superman gonna be doin', going around finding Asgardian spirits trapped in mortals? HAW."

"Hurr, what's Superman gonna be doin', running a space station? HAW."

"Hurr, what's Superman gonna be doin', writing scripts for The Real Ghostbusters? HAW."

I'm not a huge JMS guy, but we gotta get some better gags here, people. :no:

Criden
03-08-2010, 08:12 AM
No Limits: J. Michael Straczynski on Superman, Wonder Woman (http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/03/08/no-limits-j-michael-straczynski-on-superman-wonder-woman/)

The Hodag
03-08-2010, 08:18 AM
No Limits: J. Michael Straczynski on Superman, Wonder Woman (http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/03/08/no-limits-j-michael-straczynski-on-superman-wonder-woman/)

I do like the sincerity.

I suspect these runs won't be for me, but I hope I'm mistaken.

CapnChaos
03-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Lana had sex with Brainiac? Their love child aged rapidly and is actually Jimmy Olsen? Krypton isn't an actual planet, but an extra-dimensional magic realm, which gave Superman his powers, but also makes him weak against worldly magic?

Sounds like a sequel to the Abrams movie script.

Humphrey_Lee
03-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Let's see, Thor came out quarterly, still hasn't finished the Twelve, and now even Brave and the Bold has been on hiatus for two months... I'm sure he'll write some really good WW and Supes stories, but why should I expect them to come out? I only tolerate BatB because they're one and dones and it doesn't really matter when they show up, they mean nothing in the greater schemes of things. But WW and Supes should be expected to show up somewhat regularly, right?

Jason California
03-08-2010, 08:33 AM
I thought Geoff Johns has already brought Superman back to his roots?

The Hodag
03-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I thought Geoff Johns has already brought Superman back to his roots?

He won't be back to his roots till he's taking down wife beaters and graft at city hall!

CapnChaos
03-08-2010, 08:43 AM
He won't be back to his roots till he's taking down wife beaters and graft at city hall!

Two words: No flying!

RickLM
03-08-2010, 08:45 AM
If JMS can make Wonder Woman halfway interesting, then he's the greatest writer in the history of comics.

Chinaski
03-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Let's see, Thor came out quarterly, still hasn't finished the Twelve, and now even Brave and the Bold has been on hiatus for two months... I'm sure he'll write some really good WW and Supes stories, but why should I expect them to come out? I only tolerate BatB because they're one and dones and it doesn't really matter when they show up, they mean nothing in the greater schemes of things. But WW and Supes should be expected to show up somewhat regularly, right?

Yea, this - exactly this.

Dont forget he kind of abandoned Supreme Power / Squadron Supreme also - but maybe some of that was also editorial, Im not totally sure what happened there, all I know is it was coming out - and then it wasnt

Jason California
03-08-2010, 08:51 AM
I am leery of any JMS launch for the above mentioned reasons. I don't know when or if he will become irritated with his boss and stop working on the project or if other commitments will get in the way of his comic work. I will look forward to seeing it after he has built up a back log though.

NickT
03-08-2010, 08:53 AM

Dont forget he kind of abandoned Supreme Power / Squadron Supreme also - but maybe some of that was also editorial, Im not totally sure what happened there, all I know is it was coming out - and then it wasnt

This is basically why I'm done with his work. I can deal with slowness, I can deal with him having a job outside of comics that can affect how fast his stuff comes out. But with JMS you've got stuff like The Twelve where he dissapears and goes off and writes other comics, and other cases where he walks away from books. I mean what, are we really to believe that Superman and Wonder Woman will stay totally stand alone?

Supreme Convoy
03-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Nice! I'll definitely check it out.

Magnum V.I.
03-08-2010, 08:57 AM
JMS Predictions for Superman:

The long arc that JMS will start is that Superman has a Twin/older brother from a different mother as his dad was screwing around and that kid was ALSO sent to Earth but landed in a different place, some South American Remote location, raised by those people but never learned his powers. His people always tells stories of civilized people and evil Metropolitan or something. Eventually, Lex Luther Finds this other Superman, kidnaps him, and is planning on using him to kill and Sabotage Superman!

SteveFlack
03-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Did you hear that? That was the sound of me dropping Superman.

Roger
03-08-2010, 09:02 AM
awesome!!!!

i'll follow JMS to the ends of the earth!!!!

Magnum V.I.
03-08-2010, 09:03 AM
awesome!!!!

i'll follow JMS to the ends of the earth!!!!

Well be careful, he might give up after a fourth of the way through and it'll take you 50 years longer to get there.

Roger
03-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Well be careful, he might give up after a fourth of the way through and it'll take you 50 years longer to get there.

he's finishing the twelve!!!!!!

:)

The Zevad
03-08-2010, 09:11 AM
I liked a lot of his stuff in Amazing. But his Peter didn't feel like Peter Parker. He totally ignored the supporting cast. And the whole Buffy angle of there is a new Spider-Man for every generation/mystical origin/totemt hing just felt complety out of place. Good stuff. I did like how he introduced that Peter zones out when he's thinking/contemplating. I wish more emphasis was placed on Peter's inventing/scientific skills. Right now he's the smartest guy on the Avengers! Bendis doesn't take advantage of that and turns him into a goof ball..which is why I think Pete doesn't belong on a team. It devalues him.

The Zevad
03-08-2010, 09:14 AM

That pissed me off. He left that shit at a cliff hanger. Zarda was left disemboided (she obviously got better off panel for the cross over and getting left in the Ultimateverse) and the Squadron was facing down Redstone. He said he ran out of ideas and didn't know where to go....okay...you couldn't have wrapped up the fight? How hard seriously? There was editorial as he was told to put emphasis on the team and not his original focus on Hyperion and eveything spilling over from there.

The Zevad
03-08-2010, 09:15 AM
JMS Predictions for Superman:

The long arc that JMS will start is that Superman has a Twin/older brother from a different mother as his dad was screwing around and that kid was ALSO sent to Earth but landed in a different place, some South American Remote location, raised by those people but never learned his powers. His people always tells stories of civilized people and evil Metropolitan or something. Eventually, Lex Luther Finds this other Superman, kidnaps him, and is planning on using him to kill and Sabotage Superman!

It would be a half brother than. It can't be a twin if they have different moms holmes.

panco
03-08-2010, 09:18 AM
I am leery of any JMS launch for the above mentioned reasons. I don't know when or if he will become irritated with his boss and stop working on the project or if other commitments will get in the way of his comic work. I will look forward to seeing it after he has built up a back log though.

Exactly. When something comes his way that he doesn't like the guy just leaves. He didn't bothered to finish Supreme Power nor Thor properly.

Dude Pal
03-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Exactly. When something comes his way that he doesn't like the guy just leaves. He didn't bothered to finish Supreme Power nor Thor properly.

I was really frustrated with the state he left Thor in. Didn't resolve a damn thing. I'll definitely pick up at least the first few issues since Thor was really THAT good, but I really hope he resolves something.

Also, JMS Superman Spoiler alert:

Lois Lane had Lex Luthor kids.

(Had to make at least one)

ZombieSpeedball
03-08-2010, 09:28 AM
This figures. I was gearing up to drop WW at the jump back to the old numbering.

Chinaski
03-08-2010, 11:00 AM
This development has the potential to turn into as much of a cluster fuck as the One Year Later debacle with Alan Heinberg on WW and Johns - Donner / Kubert & Busiek / Pacheco on Superman. How long did it take for WW to finally get back on track? Gail came on in the late teens / early 20s, right? After the insane Amazons Attack mini series and crossover

Superman was pretty much a mess until around the Brianiac arc and then Johns was gone and we have this New Krypton thing.

And based on JMS' history with "editorial interference" on his books, how long is he going to last when he needs to tie Superman or WW into some Justice League adventure or someother big doings in the DCU?

Anyone think he lasts a year or more on either of these books? I would accept either calendar wise or 12 issue wise, take your pick.

Zac Goyette
03-08-2010, 11:50 AM
If he can do for Wonder Woman what he did for Thor, that is a good move. I will definitely try out his run on Superman. I am very curious to see what he can do with Big Blue.

Magnum V.I.
03-08-2010, 12:02 PM
It would be a half brother than. It can't be a twin if they have different moms holmes.

Obviously you do not understand Kryptonian Biology.

Jason California
03-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Obviously you do not understand Kryptonian Biology.

Since his dad was scientist he could have easily taken out one of the embryos from his wife and inserted it into another kryptonian chic to test how the 2 would develop having the same genetic makeup but having one gestate in a foreign environment.

Magnum V.I.
03-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Since his dad was scientist he could have easily taken out one of the embryos from his wife and inserted it into another kryptonian chic to test how the 2 would develop having the same genetic makeup but having one gestate in a foreign environment.

Exactly. In fact, I'm sure JMS will ask us to shut up about this before we ruin his entire run.

I see it almost as a Tom Strongian Experiment. Lets raise one child normal and then lets raise another child this way. (Even though Tom never had a brother but his Father wanted to raise him in that damn chamber anyway.)

Generic Poster
03-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I hope they put Kevin Smith on Batman next! Then we'll get about two issues of each of the Trinity per year.

Jason California
03-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Exactly. In fact, I'm sure JMS will ask us to shut up about this before we ruin his entire run.

I see it almost as a Tom Strongian Experiment. Lets raise one child normal and then lets raise another child this way. (Even though Tom never had a brother but his Father wanted to raise him in that damn chamber anyway.)

We are pretty smart dude.

Roger
03-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Also, JMS Superman Spoiler alert:

Lois Lane had Lex Luthor kids.

(Had to make at least one)

why? is joey Q running DC now?

Joe Kalicki
03-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Puke.

WhindamPryce
03-08-2010, 04:17 PM
FINALLY I'll be able to read Superman!!!

In the past decade I've only read parts of Loeb's run, all of Johns' run, and ASS. Despite JMS' "sordid" history he's still a damn good writer when he's left alone. The first 40 issues of ASM, Supreme Power, Midnight Nation, Rising Stars, and Bullet Points all attest to his ability.

Same goes for WW. The only time I've read it regularly was during Rucka. Simone's was not my cup of tea, unfortunately.

The artists on both books will also be a deciding factor, but not by much (for me). I'm trying to think of which A-list artists are working at DC that they might be pulling in for these books.

My only concern is that all I've been reading about JMS since Changeling is how super busy he is now with TV and Hollywood. And now he's doing three monthlies (plus the Twelve)? I just hope we don't get Dini-style fill-ins.

Other than that, sign me up! :thumb:

Hyperstorm
03-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Okay ... so I guess I will continue beyond the Simone-era after all then.

The Crushtacean
03-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Well, fuck. I'm a loyal WW reader, and I'll give him a shot, but I fully expect him to blow the schedule and for me to read fill-in writers as often as I read his stuff, and for him to walk as soon as the next DC event happens.

The Zevad
03-09-2010, 09:05 AM
So does that mean The Kent Farm and Lois and Clark's Apartment will get burn by a rip off character of a previous villian and Martha, Lois, and Clark will move into the Hall of Justice?

DAVE
03-09-2010, 09:12 AM
So does this mean that that thing that happened in JMS'S Spider-man comic will happen in his Superman and Wonder Woman comics?

Criden
03-09-2010, 09:15 AM
So does this mean that that thing that happened in JMS'S Spider-man comic will happen in his Superman and Wonder Woman comics?

I'm pretty sure the thing happened in his Fantastic Four comics.

DAVE
03-09-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm pretty sure the thing happened in his Fantastic Four comics.

http://thepirata.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/entourages05e04.jpg

Criden
03-09-2010, 09:31 AM
http://thepirata.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/entourages05e04.jpg

http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/102/1026165/entourage-eric_1253317818.jpg