PDA

View Full Version : Android Tablet - $95

Greygor
03-08-2010, 03:05 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/06/firstviews-95-android-windows-ce-pc607v-tips-a-craptablet-ic/

Doesn't look too bad for a $95 Android tablet, huh? Well, there's plenty more where that came from. Scattered along the main halls of CeBIT are dozens of Chinese and Taiwanese consumer electronics resellers looking to sell products to new customers, and this year they sure loaded up the suitcases with cheap Android / Windows CE tablets. For the most part all these tablets (or small smartbooks) have ARM 9 or 11 processors and 5 to 7-inch resistive touch displays. While some like the FirstView PC607V tablet (pictured above) have attractive skins on top of Windows CE, others from companies like Forsa and Huawei have gone with stock versions of Android. In truth, all of the ones we played with felt chintzy, but it was easier to lower our standards when we learned they wouldn't draw more than $150 from our wallets. We've got a hands-on video with FirstView's Android tablet after the break, but if that doesn't fill your cheap tablet needs hit the more coverage links for videos by some serious Android / ARM tablet lovers.

Now I know nothing about the android, anyone want to fill me in on pros and cons?

Shepherd
03-08-2010, 04:25 AM
Looks cool.

R

gaspar
03-08-2010, 07:31 AM
I have a HTC Hero (android phone)...$95 for an Android Tablet = COOL! I'd definitely check this out, especially knowing that I can already read comics on my phone. Apps for android are plentiful, useful, and fun. *IF* one of these is made with anything resembling semi-decent specs (I don't even know what that will be, but I'll keep my eye on the reviews), I'll want one!

Brian Defferding
03-08-2010, 07:36 AM
I have a HTC Hero (android phone)...$95 for an Android Tablet = COOL! I'd definitely check this out, especially knowing that I can already read comics on my phone. Apps for android are plentiful, useful, and fun. *IF* one of these is made with anything resembling semi-decent specs (I don't even know what that will be, but I'll keep my eye on the reviews), I'll want one!

I don't know anything about this new gadgetry so excuse my naivete in my question here, but are you able to read PDF comics on your phone? Is there a file type to read comics that you prefer on the android?

chess
03-08-2010, 07:39 AM
I think that Apple may adjust their price before the iPad hits the market. (If I remember correctly) They have already said they can do this.

I suspect that schools will be the first to adopt these. The book publishers can collect a "user fee" each year rather than sell books every 3-4 years to the school district. In addition, updates can be made to texts quickly.

Greygor
03-08-2010, 01:28 PM

it's sounding better and better

Greygor
03-08-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't know anything about this new gadgetry so excuse my naivete in my question here, but are you able to read PDF comics on your phone? Is there a file type to read comics that you prefer on the android?

Hopefully cbr is supported, I'm pretty sure pdf is

Jason California
03-08-2010, 01:35 PM

There are PDF readers for Android.

I have not seen a CBR reader as of yet, but am aware of at least one party looking to make their reader work on Android.

Ben
03-08-2010, 01:37 PM

I have not seen a CBR reader as of yet, but am aware of at least one party looking to make their reader work on Android.
Are there jpeg or other image slideshow kind of things? Worst case scenario, you just unzip your cbr files with winrar and put them into folders. You can also convert them to pdfs.

If a device like this for only $100 turns out to work well for reading comics, I'm going to start "converting" my back issues and probably a lot of my trades to a digital format.

Jason California
03-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Are there jpeg or other image slideshow kind of things? Worst case scenario, you just unzip your cbr files with winrar and put them into folders. You can also convert them to pdfs.

If a device like this for only $100 turns out to work well for reading comics, I'm going to start "converting" my back issues and probably a lot of my trades to a digital format.

I have lots of JPEGS on my phone. It does appear that there are slide show viewers, both paid and free. I can't tell you about how well they function though.

gaspar
03-08-2010, 01:59 PM
I'll do my best to answer some questions from what I know just from owning an Android phone for a couple of months. I'm sure others here would probably have more info, but here's what I can say...

My phone came with a PDF reader pre-installed, so PDFs in general are covered. There are also apps for MS Office docs and Google Docs, though surprisingly, thus far there is no native Google Docs app...they're all 3rd party work around apps.

it's sounding better and better

This has me really excited for the tablet idea. I like the iPad in theory, but the price tag is not at all within my reach and I don't like the idea of paying for a 3G service. Give me an approx $100 android tablet that's not tied to a monthly fee, that has WiFi (let me connect to my own hotspots), and access to the Android Marketplace where apps are free or cheap and I'm a very happy tablet owner!

Hopefully cbr is supported, I'm pretty sure pdf is

I currently have the app called Droid Comic Viewer (http://www.robotcomics.net/android-comic-viewer/) installed on my phone. I haven't used it very much because I don't have access to downloaded comics, but I've tried it on a couple and it seems to work just fine. The big problem is that on a phone, the screen is too small to read a comic book effectively/efficiently. On a tablet, this would be a FANTASTIC app! You'd need content, but if the market was there, the content could be provided.

Oh and according to the website, Droid Comic Viewer "Opens CBZ/ZIP, CBR/RAR (beta), ACV, JPEG, PNG, BMP and GIF files." I haven't messed with PDF comics, but like I said, there's a PDF viewer installed, so I'm sure there's some way to do it. Also, there are probably other comic viewers in the Android Marketplace, that's just the one I've used.

Check out the one I linked when you have a chance.

I'm very interested in seeing how things go with these tablets. If they can hit the market quickly, especially before the iPad is able to drop in price, this could be very interesting.

Jason California
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
HTC and Google are officially unofficially working on a tablet.

gaspar
03-08-2010, 02:17 PM
HTC and Google are officially unofficially working on a tablet.

Don't tease :o

My only problem would be slapping too many brand stickers on it and the price getting driven sky high. If they can keep it in the $100-200 range I'm probably in. If it jumps over that, we get into the same problem as the iPad.

greg donovan
03-08-2010, 03:38 PM
This has me really excited for the tablet idea. I like the iPad in theory, but the price tag is not at all within my reach and I don't like the idea of paying for a 3G service. Give me an approx $100 android tablet that's not tied to a monthly fee, that has WiFi (let me connect to my own hotspots), and access to the Android Marketplace where apps are free or cheap and I'm a very happy tablet owner!

or even better let me get the apps with the phone and then "copy" them onto my tablet via usb.

gaspar
03-08-2010, 04:02 PM
or even better let me get the apps with the phone and then "copy" them onto my tablet via usb.

If you don't have a WiFi hotspot, you could probably just use an app like PDANet (http://www.junefabrics.com/android/index.php)to tether the tablet to your celphone and get internet access that way.

That's what I'm planning to do on our upcoming trip to Hawaii. My wife used PDANet connecting her HTC Hero with her laptop during a week long trip to her grandmother's house (no internet access) and said she got better than dialup / slightly slower than regular high speed internet access with it.

We're staying at a hotel in Hawaii next week that charges a daily fee for their internet access. Since we both have HTC Hero phones + unlimited data plans + laptops, we're planning on using PDANet instead of paying the extra fees...barring any unforseen difficulties.

BriRedfern
03-08-2010, 04:15 PM
If you don't have a WiFi hotspot, you could probably just use an app like PDANet (http://www.junefabrics.com/android/index.php)to tether the tablet to your celphone and get internet access that way.

That's what I'm planning to do on our upcoming trip to Hawaii. My wife used PDANet connecting her HTC Hero with her laptop during a week long trip to her grandmother's house (no internet access) and said she got better than dialup / slightly slower than regular high speed internet access with it.

We're staying at a hotel in Hawaii next week that charges a daily fee for their internet access. Since we both have HTC Hero phones + unlimited data plans + laptops, we're planning on using PDANet instead of paying the extra fees...barring any unforseen difficulties.

Tethering is illegal by the terms of the verizon "unlimited" data contract. Not saying to not do it, but it is not allowed by the contract for Verizon.

Jason California
03-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Tethering is illegal by the terms of the verizon "unlimited" data contract. Not saying to not do it, but it is not allowed by the contract for Verizon.

So far the people I know using it are not having trouble with it. I am guessing as long as you don't going over 5GB they are not going to say anything about it. Plus Gaspar is on Sprint. They can't afford to lose customers anymore.

mike black
03-08-2010, 04:54 PM
My phone came with a PDF reader pre-installed, so PDFs in general are covered. There are also apps for MS Office docs and Google Docs, though surprisingly, thus far there is no native Google Docs app...they're all 3rd party work around apps.

Google Docs is available on pre-Eclair Android phones. Not sure why it hasn't been rolled out for 2.0 yet.

gaspar
03-08-2010, 05:23 PM

Honestly, not even trying to play stupid here...did not know that. But I'm not with Verizon. Does Sprint have the same rule?

So far the people I know using it are not having trouble with it. I am guessing as long as you don't going over 5GB they are not going to say anything about it. Plus Gaspar is on Sprint. They can't afford to lose customers anymore.

Why would they let something like that in the Market if it's not allowed? I know that some apps are available on certain phones and not others...like I can't even see the eBay app because I don't have a phone that can run it (I guess that's why...I just know that it's out there, but I can't get it). It seems like if an app like PDANet was "illegal" to use on a certain phone or with a certain carrier, they could easily block it from being downloaded from the Market. I could be wrong.

Anyway, yeah...I'm on Sprint. I don't know what their policy is. I never really thought about it. I just found the app, checked it out, it worked pretty damn well, and I used it. I guess I'll have to look into it now...

Google Docs is available on pre-Eclair Android phones. Not sure why it hasn't been rolled out for 2.0 yet.

It might be available now. I just know that when I looked when I first got the phone there were options but none were actually Google made versions. They were 3rd party ones. I don't usually use Google Docs...just posting what little I know.

Greygor
03-09-2010, 12:44 AM
I had one of those mind set shifts when thinking about this, despite it's price when you compare it to other Tablets coming out there are limitations.

So don't think of it as a Tablet, think of it as a Colour Kindle that can also run applications, for $95. Now that to me is a bargain.