PDA

View Full Version : early barry windsor smith art in daredevil

kojak
03-07-2010, 09:16 AM
i picked up Essential Daredevil volume 3 for the insane gene colan art and, to my surprise, there were three issues (#50-52) drawn by a probably very very young barry smith. THEY ARE HORRIBLE!!!! it was truly hilarious! imagine rob liefeld hacking out some bad steranko-inspired stuff. they have to be seen to be believed. as we all now, BWS went on to become one of the alltime greats, but it was refreshing to see such a powerful talent plumbing the deepest depths of suck in the early days of his career.

NathanDetroit
03-07-2010, 09:19 AM
no scans?

for shame.

The Hodag
03-07-2010, 09:22 AM
i picked up Essential Daredevil volume 3 for the insane gene colan art and, to my surprise, there were three issues (#50-52) drawn by a probably very very young barry smith. THEY ARE HORRIBLE!!!! it was truly hilarious! imagine rob liefeld hacking out some bad steranko-inspired stuff. they have to be seen to be believed. as we all now, BWS went on to become one of the alltime greats, but it was refreshing to see such a powerful talent plumbing the deepest depths of suck in the early days of his career.

Haven't seen the DD stuff, but when Dark Horse started reprinting his much ballyhooed (always wanted to say that) early Conan stuff, I was surprised at how bad it looked. Seems like he was at a turning point, aping Kirby/Steranko figures but rendering them with the delicate hatching of his pre-Raphaelite influences. It was really ugly.

Thudpucker
03-07-2010, 09:25 AM
I wouldn't say they were terrible. It's pretty generic stuff though.

http://sacomics.blogspot.com/2008/11/random-issue-review-daredevil-50.html

He's said that early on he was inspired by Jack Kirby and it took him a few years to find his own style.

DaveCummings
03-07-2010, 09:43 AM
That's not surprising. I mean, look at alot of comic artists, especially ones from the 1990 and earlier, their early work isn't nearly as good as what we know of their work. Part of the charm is seeing them grow as an artist. Unfortunately, you don't get it as much with artists now, since the market is alot more competitive and is set up differently from then. I think the only great example of an artist really finding their voice in recent years is Skottie Young.

artimoff
03-07-2010, 09:56 AM
He drew some X-Men (#50?) & it really sucked as well.

Donal DeLay
03-07-2010, 05:44 PM
His short-lived STORYTELLER series was hs best work.