PDA

View Full Version : That "American Splendor" Movie From A Few Years Ago.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
03-07-2010, 07:35 AM
I watched it again recently.

It's not very good, is it?

JeremyDale
03-07-2010, 07:37 AM
I liked it. Seemed to capture the depressing, sneering tone of the comic to me. Wouldn't say the movie was 'OOO, BRILLIANT' but it wasn't bad at all for the subject matter.

- j

DAVE
03-07-2010, 07:38 AM
I think it's pretty damn good.

Fake Pat
03-07-2010, 07:39 AM
I think it's pretty damn good.

Yeah, I remember it being pretty fantastic.

Garth
Its great.

KSChris
It's good.

03-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Well then.

panco
03-07-2010, 07:42 AM
I loved it.
The part with the talk show where they add real tv fotage to the mix is awesome.

The Hodag
03-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Only saw it the one time, but it was great.

03-07-2010, 07:44 AM
At the very least can we agree that there's no was a guy like Harvey Pekar would end up with a woman as attractive as Hope Davis? AND that the movies attempts to unpretty her pretty laughable?

Boris the Blade
03-07-2010, 07:48 AM
It's fucking great. GREAT.

Boris the Blade
03-07-2010, 07:49 AM
She's about as attractive compared to the real life Joy as Paul Giamatti is compared to real life Harvey, so I buy it.

03-07-2010, 07:49 AM
I won't lie, this isn't the direction I was hoping this thread would go in.

The Hodag
03-07-2010, 07:50 AM

You'd have had better luck saying The Dark Knight was overrated.

Boris the Blade
03-07-2010, 07:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEUVL0U7QyY

GREAT.

03-07-2010, 07:52 AM

I'm not going there.

Fake Pat
03-07-2010, 07:53 AM

But at least then he'd be right.

The Hodag
03-07-2010, 08:00 AM
But at least then he'd be right.

Yeah, and I wasn't actually being sarcastic or anything. Dark Knight's reaaaaally well liked, but it gets some criticism, it's got some plot issues, it's not everyone's favorite movie evah.

Not near so many people have seen American Splendor, but among those who have it's pretty much all love.

RyanP
03-07-2010, 08:03 AM
I enjoyed it more than I though I would.

Roger
03-07-2010, 08:07 AM

HA!!!

in your face!!!!!

:)

Boris the Blade
03-07-2010, 08:10 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/american_splendor/

94% on Rotten Tomatoes
100% of Top Critics

Big McLargeHuge
03-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Orange soda FTW!

03-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Alright Boris, call of the fucking hounds.

Boris the Blade
03-07-2010, 08:16 AM
:)

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
03-07-2010, 08:20 AM
It's good.

Adam Witt
03-07-2010, 08:21 AM
When you anger Candian Film Jesus, the hounds are many.

GREAT.

Ben Weldon
03-07-2010, 08:26 AM
It was very good and your taste in movies is now under question.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
03-07-2010, 08:28 AM

He reviews movies though for the internet!?:crazy:

03-07-2010, 08:35 AM

I can't remember a time when it's not been, frankly.

03-07-2010, 08:43 AM
So yeah, American Splendor. Boring, pretentious and full of unlikable characters.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
03-07-2010, 08:44 AM
So yeah, American Splendor. Boring, pretentious and full of unlikable characters.

Have you ever read the comic?:lol:

Boris the Blade
03-07-2010, 08:45 AM
The effects were terrible.

GelfXIII
No, not much there to recommend it to someone who hadn't read the comic (which I hadn't)

LazyComix
I watched it again recently.

It's not very good, is it?

Holy cow are you wrong.

Fake Pat
03-07-2010, 08:47 AM
No, not much there to recommend it to someone who hadn't read the comic (which I hadn't)

I don't like the comics, and I thought the movie was terrific.

If I remember correctly, my folks did too, and they'd never heard of the comic.

DAVE
03-07-2010, 08:48 AM

I'm curious what you found pretentious about it?

Fake Pat
03-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Lack of Ric Flair.

The Hodag
03-07-2010, 08:52 AM

Harvey's unlikability is what makes him endearing - like Fake Pat.

;)

Caley Tibbittz
03-07-2010, 08:52 AM
I really liked it. Giamatti was born to play Pekar, it was so perfect. And while it captured the flavor of the comic brilliantly, it was far more entertaining than the comic ever was.

majorjoe23
03-07-2010, 08:55 AM

94% on Rotten Tomatoes
100% of Top Critics

But 0% of Cheap Arse Film Critics.

WillieLee
03-07-2010, 08:57 AM

Do you really think a guy like that would end up on Letterman in the real world? Hollywood fantasy garbage thinking they can sell the public on anything.

Natty P
03-07-2010, 08:57 AM
I liked it.

bartleby
03-07-2010, 09:12 AM

Or that Kelly Osborne is attractive.

03-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Have you ever read the comic?:lol:

I actually have read some of Pekar's stories, and actually I like them alot better than I did the movie. I can't explain what it is, but for me personally (and it's becoming increasingly obvious that it IS just me personally) something about that film just didn't work.

Gordon Chumway
03-07-2010, 09:18 AM
I liked it a lot. I bought it on VHS for 3 dollars once.

Humphrey_Lee
03-07-2010, 09:19 AM
I think it's one of the three best movies I've seen based off a comic book. That means superheroes too.

03-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Or that Kelly Osborne is attractive.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2mz01fo.gif

jamestolliver
03-07-2010, 09:28 AM
I loved the movie.

Zac Goyette
03-07-2010, 09:36 AM
I never saw. I need to rent it.

NathanDetroit
03-07-2010, 09:49 AM
wrong answer.

would you like another guess?

WhindamPryce
03-07-2010, 10:06 AM
This is one of those movies I've always thought to rent, but just never gotten around to it. This thread may have just pushed me into doing it sometime this week. :thumb:

RebootedCorpse
03-07-2010, 10:48 AM
If you like Harvey Pekar, you'll probably like this movie.
If you like to jizz on fat girls' shoes, you probably won't.

bartleby
03-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Somebody should do a Harry Potter parody called "Harvey Pekar and the Splendor of America."

Garth
03-07-2010, 10:55 AM
I liked it a lot. I bought it on VHS for 3 dollars once.

Not twice?

majorjoe23
03-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Not twice?

My mother bought me American Splendor on VHS for $3 once.

Once.

Big Poot!
03-07-2010, 01:58 PM
I read alot of his comics trying to find out what was great about him. Realized he just writes extremely boring stories and thinks they're interesting when they're not. Anyone could do that.

"(Panel 1) I went to a convention center today. (Panel 2) They were selling jewelry. I was interested in buying some dinosaur fossils. (Panel 3) They told me they were mixed with lead and shaped. (Panel 4) Then they said they were $65 each, so I decided not to buy any. (Panel 5) Then I ate barbecue."

Perfect Harvey Pekar script right there. Needs to be drawn and sent to the printer. See what I did there?

94% on Rotten Tomatoes
100% of Top Critics

They don't read comics. It's an artsy movie about an artist trying to find his way, of course it would be "hip" to like it. They don't know anything about comics.

A movie given the same production values about a quality comics writer/penciller would be actually worth watching.

And that youtube posted earlier with Giamatti acting out a Pekar comic? MAN that was painful to watch.

Fake Pat
03-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I read alot of his comics trying to find out what was great about him. Realized he just writes extremely boring stories and thinks they're interesting when they're not. Anyone could do that.

"(Panel 1) I went to a convention center today. (Panel 2) They were selling jewelry. I was interested in buying some dinosaur fossils. (Panel 3) They told me they were mixed with lead and shaped. (Panel 4) Then they said they were $65 each, so I decided not to buy any. (Panel 5) Then I ate barbecue."

Perfect Harvey Pekar script right there. Needs to be drawn and sent to the printer. See what I did there?

They don't read comics. It's an artsy movie about an artist trying to find his way, of course it would be "hip" to like it. They don't know anything about comics.

A movie given the same production values about a quality comics writer/penciller would be actually worth watching.

And that youtube posted earlier with Giamatti acting out a Pekar comic? MAN that was painful to watch.

This is exactly the response I would expect from you.

Well done.

Big Poot!
03-07-2010, 02:03 PM
This is exactly the response I would expect from you.

Well done.

I know, it's like I'm the only sane person on this board.

And everyone else has taken CRAZY PILLS.

Fake Pat
03-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I know, it's like I'm the only sane person on this board.

And everyone else has taken CRAZY PILLS.

Those crazy pills must be why I'm so confused as to how all the people who liked the movie, especially all the people here, "don't know anything about comics".

Better up my dosage.

Boris the Blade
03-07-2010, 02:17 PM

They don't need to know anything about comics. What are you trying to say, that if they knew how "boring" the comics were, they'd understand that there's no merit in the movie? Being able to enjoy the movie has fuck all to do with the fact that the comics exist.

If this movie existed on it's own, it would recieve the exact amount of acclaim it did. I wasn't familiar at all with the comics before seeing the film, and a few days after went out and got the big collection. His work is a slice of life and lacks heavy drama and conflict, but I'd hardly call most of it boring. Harvey is a character, bundled with neuroses, humorous perceptions and ideas and relatable human conflicts in his life. Your little parody comic is about as subtle as a parody as a Mad TV sketch. Even when he's doing something brutally mundane, his inner thoughts are what makes many of his stories interesting. A lot of people have a hard time with his work because of his lack of adherence to any type of story structure. The film has this same style. I think it makes it unique, and find it works here.

A movie about most other comics writers would be fucking BORING. The fact that Harvey's work is autobiographical lends weight to his work. He's a weird guy with an unusual perspective. If you don't find him interesting, that's your thing, but it's not just about someone writing and drawing comics, it's about this man.

It got me to connect with this ugly, antisocial weirdo and his frumpy boring wife. It's strange, funny, depressing, forces you to reflect upon yourself and hosts interesting techniques that break the fourth wall and enforce it at the same time.

Great movie.

Blake Sims
03-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Ug

The Hodag
03-07-2010, 02:25 PM
A movie about most other comics writers would be fucking BORING.

Oh, I bet there're lots of potentially good ones out there. Alan Moore for sure, but Millar would probably make for a pretty good, outrageous movie, and Bendis has practically written a script for a focused movie in Fortune & Glory. Howard Chaykin...Paul Chadwick...Chris Claremont...I think they'd all offer up potentially fascinating stories, and that's just a few mainstream names.

I loved American Splendor for what it was, but if Harvey's career means anything, it's that everyone's got a story in their life.

The fact that Harvey's work is autobiographical lends weight to his work. He's a weird guy with an unusual perspective. If you don't find him interesting, that's your thing, but it's not just about someone writing and drawing comics, it's about this man.

It got me to connect with this ugly, antisocial weirdo and his frumpy boring wife. It's strange, funny, depressing, forces you to reflect upon yourself and hosts interesting techniques that break the fourth wall and enforce it at the same time.

Agreed. Overall American Splendor isn't my thing, but I definitely enjoyed dabbling.

The Crushtacean
03-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Oh, I bet there're lots of potentially good ones out there. Alan Moore for sure, but Millar would probably make for a pretty good, outrageous movie, and Bendis has practically written a script for a focused movie in Fortune & Glory. Howard Chaykin...Paul Chadwick...Chris Claremont...I think they'd all offer up potentially fascinating stories, and that's just a few mainstream names.

I loved American Splendor for what it was, but if Harvey's career means anything, it's that everyone's got a story in their life.

Agreed. Overall American Splendor isn't my thing, but I definitely enjoyed dabbling.

I wanna see a movie about Micah Ian Wright and his time in the Army Rangers. :)

Boris the Blade
03-07-2010, 02:30 PM

I would see a movie based on Alan Moore.

The Hodag
03-07-2010, 02:32 PM
I wanna see a movie about Micah Ian Wright and his time in the Army Rangers. :)

The scary thing is...Wright might be good source material for a movie. A guy getting caught up in a lie spun to promote himself, then losing his entire comic career because of it? That's pretty good drama.

Joe Kalicki
03-07-2010, 02:34 PM
I love the movie and I've never read a word Pekar's written.

EDIT: Actually, the guy who played Crumb was really annoying in it.

bartleby
03-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Good news, Technofear. It sounds like Big Poot! probably agrees with you.

Big Poot!
03-07-2010, 02:40 PM

Now those would be interesting.

American Splendor? No. :no:

LazyComix
03-07-2010, 02:42 PM

Great review. Now go bag and board your Superhero Comics.

Joe Kalicki
03-07-2010, 02:44 PM

Reading super-hero comics? That's so insulting!

Wicked burn, dude.

Big Poot!
03-07-2010, 03:55 PM

Yes Lord Vader. :vader::artoo::c3po::fett::amidala::trooper::yoda: :Obione2::Palpatin::han::luke::leia::btldroid:

majorjoe23
03-07-2010, 05:15 PM
I love the movie and I've never read a word Pekar's written.

EDIT: Actually, the guy who played Crumb was really annoying in it.

That was Dr. Venture.