PDA

View Full Version : Eff ABC's $40 million

LeggoMyEggolas
03-06-2010, 09:41 PM
extortion...bastards went and pulled their signal.

Ryan Elliott
03-06-2010, 09:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad3Hzsy1-20

Spidey616
03-06-2010, 09:51 PM
And just before the Oscars....:surrend:

batmanbooyah
03-06-2010, 09:52 PM
im not sure what you're talking about here.

Kirblar
03-06-2010, 09:53 PM
This is called hardball negotiations.

Whip
03-06-2010, 09:53 PM
im not sure what you're talking about here.

I'm not sure either. :(

Dreaded Anomaly
03-06-2010, 09:59 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6260GC20100307

Cablevision homes in New York lose ABC ahead of Oscars
NEW YORK
Sun Mar 7, 2010 12:47am EST

The logo for the ABC television network is shown on a video screen at the Disney ABC Television Group summer press tour in Beverly Hills, California July 16, 2008.

Credit: Reuters/Fred Prouser

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Customers of Cablevision Systems Corp in New York lost broadcast signals of local station WABC on Sunday morning as the cable operator and TV network were unable to reach agreement on a new contract.

U.S. | Television | Media

The loss of the signal means Cablevision customers will likely miss the broadcast of this year's Oscars awards extravaganza which is aired by Walt Disney Co's ABC network.

Cablevision said in a statement that Disney had been responsible for pulling the signal and called for Disney chief executive Bob Iger to return WABC to its customers while negotiations continue.

The cable company said Iger was "holding ABC's viewers hostage in order to extract $40 million in new fees."

For its part, WABC said in a statement Cablevision had "betrayed its subscribers by losing ABC7."

ABC and Cablevision have been fighting a very public battle in the last week accusing each other of being unreasonable in a dispute over how much the cable company should pay to carry ABC's free-to-air broadcast signals.

Cablevision, which has more than 3 million subscribers in the New York area, repeatedly claimed Disney is looking an extra $40 million in fees on top of the $200 million it already gets.

Disney executives have privately disputed those numbers and publicly said negotiations had been ongoing for two years.

This cable programing contract spat is the latest to involve Cablevision which also fell out with Scripps Network Interactive just ahead of New Year's Eve and lost signals for the Food Network and HGTV for three weeks.

Cablevision is keen to avoid a similar loss of programing dragging on and has hinted at involving regulators to help out arbitrate the dispute.

U.S. Senator John Kerry had earlier called for the two sides to negotiate in good faith to reach a deal without the need to pull the channel off air.

(Reporting by Yinka Adegoke)

Whip
03-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Wow, that's messed up.

NeverWanderer
03-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Damn. If that signal's still pulled by Tuesday night, you KNOW the Obama's getting a phone call.

LeggoMyEggolas
03-07-2010, 04:23 AM
Thanks for posting the article, Dreaded Anomaly. I came home to find out the bastards had gone through with their threat and was just too mad to say anything more. I can honestly say this is the first time I've agreed with Senator Kerry on anything. I believe the direct quote that's been going around is, "ABC should not be threatening to pull their signal while good faith negotiations are ongoing." Emphasis on ABC in the Senator's statement which should tell you who is being the bigger prick. At the end of the day, the consumer is just gonna get screwed anyway with a bigger bill no matter what comes out of this. I'll be fine, in that I'll just watch the stuff online if I have to, but I feel worst for my folks who flat out refuse to watch stuff on a computer. I'm gonna see if I can find an over the air antenna with converter box (the 'rents tv is analog but we've had digital cable for awhile).

Speaking of watching the stuff online, I really hope this isn't the case, but couldn't ABC be extra prickish and have Cablevision IP addresses blocked from accessing their content on hulu or abc.com?

Deej
03-07-2010, 06:12 AM
I am so glad I switched from Cablevision to Verizon Fios this past year!!!

bartleby
03-07-2010, 06:15 AM
I'll be surprised if ABC isn't back on Cablevision before the Oscars tonight. The network's not going to risk losing that many viewers for what's likely to be its highest-rated program of the year.

Foolish Mortal
03-07-2010, 06:25 AM
I'll be surprised if ABC isn't back on Cablevision before the Oscars tonight. The network's not going to risk losing that many viewers for what's likely to be its highest-rated program of the year.
How many subscribers does Cablevision have in that area?

This whole deal is bad, but none of this is going to affect people who get WABC from satellite or other providers. Or people who get it from a plain 'ol antenna.

bartleby
03-07-2010, 06:35 AM
How many subscribers does Cablevision have in that area?

3.3 million, which amounts to about 1% of the US population.

BCD
03-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Cablevision has never done anything ever that made me happy to have them as a provider. I hate the fact that I'm stuck with them in my apt and can't wait till I move and can get DirecTV again.

DAVE
03-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Fuck Cablevision.

WinterRose
03-07-2010, 10:34 AM
This is all over me at work today. Essentially a lot of disgruntled cable subscribers are going, "OH! That's okay. I'll just get me an antenna and pull the oscars out of the air." only to find that they need a converter box for their older TV sets. Some of them can get every channel WITH an antenna except for WABC. Popular conspiracy theory seems to run towards the idea that in addition to pulling ABC from Cablevision, that they also lowered the strength of their broadcast to put the pressure on the cable people. I'm not sure that's true. I wouldn't think Disney'd shoot themselves in the foot, ratings-wise, on Oscar night.

Foolish Mortal
03-07-2010, 10:48 AM
This is all over me at work today. Essentially a lot of disgruntled cable subscribers are going, "OH! That's okay. I'll just get me an antenna and pull the oscars out of the air." only to find that they need a converter box for their older TV sets. Some of them can get every channel WITH an antenna except for WABC. Popular conspiracy theory seems to run towards the idea that in addition to pulling ABC from Cablevision, that they also lowered the strength of their broadcast to put the pressure on the cable people. I'm not sure that's true. I wouldn't think Disney'd shoot themselves in the foot, ratings-wise, on Oscar night.
I'm pretty sure that would be some sort of FCC violation and would warrant them being investigated.

CapnChaos
03-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Maybe I should send my rabbit ears to my friend in Yonkers.

Taxman
03-07-2010, 11:14 AM
This is called hardball negotiations.I think it is called bullshit. I don't think these companies should get a dime for their over the air networks.

bartleby
03-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Supposedly, it's going to be settled before the Oscar telecast starts.

Taxman
03-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Popular conspiracy theory seems to run towards the idea that in addition to pulling ABC from Cablevision, that they also lowered the strength of their broadcast to put the pressure on the cable people. :lol:

WinterRose
03-07-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty sure that would be some sort of FCC violation and would warrant them being investigated.

S'what I'm thinking... but would that count as a violation? Given that it's their transmission, I figure they can broadcast at any strength they like.

Taxman
03-07-2010, 01:30 PM
S'what I'm thinking... but would that count as a violation? Given that it's their transmission, I figure they can broadcast at any strength they like.Were there an investigation, they would probably claim a blown transformer, or something. It always worked back in the Enron days.

Foolish Mortal
03-07-2010, 01:38 PM
S'what I'm thinking... but would that count as a violation? Given that it's their transmission, I figure they can broadcast at any strength they like.
I'm no FCC expert, but I was under the impression that they're pretty stringent about that if a TV station applies for a license to transmit at a specific signal strength, then they have to transmit at that strength.

WinterRose
03-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm no FCC expert, but I was under the impression that they're pretty stringent about that if a TV station applies for a license to transmit at a specific signal strength, then they have to transmit at that strength.

That would seem to make sense. I'm thinking it's conspiracy theory myself. But I'd guess the rules weren't made to take into account a station using an embargo to strongarm a cable provider when in the past it's the provider strongarming the local stations instead. I'd guess this would be about as enforcable as a case of the 'Blue Flu'.

Buk Was Right
03-07-2010, 02:25 PM
For those of you being blacked out of the Oscars, Ebert is live blogging them here: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100307/OSCARS/100309968

LeggoMyEggolas
03-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Can't pick up crap despite abc.com's claim they've boosted the signal to cover more of the tri-state area.

WinterRose
03-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Can't pick up crap despite abc.com's claim they've boosted the signal to cover more of the tri-state area.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'll let people know that ABC's boosting their signal tonight. It's starting to get ugly up that way. Websites are starting to sprout calling for boycotts of both Cablevision and Disney / ABC. I've heard that Cablevision's stopped answering their phones from people calling to cancel their service.

Ugly situation, folks.

LeggoMyEggolas
03-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks for mentioning this. I'll let people know that ABC's boosting their signal tonight. It's starting to get ugly up that way. Websites are starting to sprout calling for boycotts of both Cablevision and Disney / ABC. I've heard that Cablevision's stopped answering their phones from people calling to cancel their service.

Ugly situation, folks.

I don't know how far their signal is supposed to carry with the alleged boost. I'm in southern Monmouth County. Got an amplified antenna and digital converter box with the gain cranked to maximum and I get nothing.

WinterRose
03-07-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't know how far their signal is supposed to carry with the alleged boost. I'm in southern Monmouth County. Got an amplified antenna and digital converter box with the gain cranked to maximum and I get nothing.

One thing I'll mention. Make sure that the UHF part of your antenna is facing in the direction of the Empire State Building. Most digital antennas are directional now. Just sticking an antenna up in the air and waving it about til you get signal no longer works. You have to have it facing in the direction your stations are coming from first. Then scan for your channels on your converter box or your digital set. Very much the same way you'd have to have a satellite dish facing the right way first. Otherwise you won't get a thing.

As well, most indoor antennas are rated for 20 miles in any given direction as the crow flies. Outside of that range, you're not likely on average to get a thing. It used to be you could sit on the outside of a station's footprint and get at least a fuzzy signal and still be able to hear it. With digital, you either have enough for a perfect picture, or no picture at all with no fuzzy in-between.

A really good resource for finding out where your stations are would be antennaweb.org. You pop in your address and the kind of antenna you have there, and they come back at you with a list of the stations you should be able to get where you are with the equipment you have. They ought to give you range and distance. They should even have a kind of googlemap kind of thing where you see the streets around your location, and arrows pointing in the direction of your local stations.

Just some advice for you folk with antennas. If you're not sure you have a digital TV, get the model number of your set and call your manufacturer if they're in. See if it's got a digital tuner in there. If it doesn't you're gonna need a converter box, and tonight you're probably SOL.

Foolish Mortal
03-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Little over 45 minutes left, and still no deal. I don't think it's gonna get done before the Oscar telecast starts.

LeggoMyEggolas
03-07-2010, 04:18 PM
One thing I'll mention. Make sure that the UHF part of your antenna is facing in the direction of the Empire State Building. Most digital antennas are directional now. Just sticking an antenna up in the air and waving it about til you get signal no longer works. You have to have it facing in the direction your stations are coming from first. Then scan for your channels on your converter box or your digital set. Very much the same way you'd have to have a satellite dish facing the right way first. Otherwise you won't get a thing.

As well, most indoor antennas are rated for 20 miles in any given direction as the crow flies. Outside of that range, you're not likely on average to get a thing. It used to be you could sit on the outside of a station's footprint and get at least a fuzzy signal and still be able to hear it. With digital, you either have enough for a perfect picture, or no picture at all with no fuzzy in-between.

A really good resource for finding out where your stations are would be antennaweb.org. You pop in your address and the kind of antenna you have there, and they come back at you with a list of the stations you should be able to get where you are with the equipment you have. They ought to give you range and distance. They should even have a kind of googlemap kind of thing where you see the streets around your location, and arrows pointing in the direction of your local stations.

Just some advice for you folk with antennas. If you're not sure you have a digital TV, get the model number of your set and call your manufacturer if they're in. See if it's got a digital tuner in there. If it doesn't you're gonna need a converter box, and tonight you're probably SOL.

Thanks for the info. According to that site I'm pretty much screwed with an indoor antenna. Next option is a not cheap outdoor antenna. Again, thanks much for the information. Apparently there's a story in the local news of a woman with a big antenna and can't get anything as well.

Taxman
03-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Can't pick up crap despite abc.com's claim they've boosted the signal to cover more of the tri-state area.:lol:

I laugh at no one's plight, BTW.

LeggoMyEggolas
03-07-2010, 04:26 PM
:lol:

I laugh at no one's plight, BTW.

No problemo, bro. ;)

LeggoMyEggolas
03-07-2010, 04:45 PM
It's back! :boogie:
let's hope it stays on.

Taxman
03-07-2010, 04:46 PM
It's back! :boogie:
let's hope it stays on.Ah yes, thanks to the speedy, highly technical work of trained ABC engineers.

WinterRose
03-07-2010, 04:51 PM
One other thing then. If you need to get an outdoor antenna? The sort you're looking for is that more traditional metal frame with the spokes sticking out of it. And you want to go to a consumer electronics store or a hardware store for that kinda thing.

Or better still, get your yellow pages out and contact someone local for advice on the best antenna for your area. Since the digital changeover last year, these guys have been working overtime to get people connected. So they're gonna have a good idea what you need for your area, and which way to point it.

Do NOT go to a department store. Where they will smile and sell you something entirely inadequate to your needs. Especially not Wal-Mart, who outright lie to people. You want to go to the aforementioned consumer electronics and hardware stores where if you go to a salesperson and ask for an outdoor antenna rated for 40 to 60 miles, they'll say "Right this way." If you go to a department store, they'll tell you something more like, "Well this is what we have on the shelf..." and as far as knowing what those antennas are capable of, you're probably better off asking your housepets.