PDA

View Full Version : Whose comic art is in that cell phone commericial?

The Zevad
03-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I've been seeing this commerical lately. It has this bearded guy using a iphone? Or mabye its a android. I don't know. One of those fancy ones taking pictures of a jogger and he turns that jogger into a super hero. Then he takes a picture of a gargoyle statue and turns it into a villain to fight said hero. The art has a a very Maleev look to it. Anybody know what I'm refrencing?

dmh3000
03-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Can you find a video of the commercial or maybe a screen capture of the art you're talking about? It might help us out.

Jason California
03-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I thought it looked like it could be Jay Lee.

Jason California
03-06-2010, 08:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2KRtCtRINc

The Hodag
03-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I thought it looked like it could be Jay Lee.

A bit so. Also caught one or two shots that reminded me of Sean Phillips and maybe whoever was drawing that Manhunter comic (the one with the chick).

But it also occurs to me it might be nobody.

Jason California
03-06-2010, 08:49 PM
A bit so. Also caught one or two shots that reminded me of Sean Phillips and maybe whoever was drawing that Manhunter comic (the one with the chick).

But it also occurs to me it might be nobody.

As soon as you mentioned Sean I saw what you were talking about.

The Zevad
03-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Hmmm yeah your right. It does look Jae Lee like and Sean Phillips like.

The Hodag
03-06-2010, 08:55 PM
As soon as you mentioned Sean I saw what you were talking about.

I think it was the face on the left that made me think it:

http://i45.tinypic.com/5y6c79.jpg

But I'm betting the dude in the pic is just an actor. I saw that some yahoo in the YouTube comments was reaaaally trying to convince people it was Frank Miller.

Which is about par for YouTube commenters. :lol:

Jason California
03-06-2010, 09:10 PM
They are having this same talk at CBR

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/03/who-is-that-artist/

Jason California
03-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Found this on another forum

samsungmobileusa (2 days ago) thank you all for your comments. we love the feedback.

in regards to the cartoon. it is all original. unfortunately´╗┐ we cannot release the name of the artist.

The Hodag
03-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Found this on another forum

Can't release his name? What is he, a terrorist?

:lol:

Jason California
03-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Can't release his name? What is he, a terrorist?

:lol:

It might have to do with licensing or royalties.

The Hodag
03-06-2010, 09:24 PM
It might have to do with licensing or royalties.

I bet it's 'cause most of that art looked kinda sucky.

If it's from any of the names that've been tossed out, it's not their best work.

Actually, I suspect they just don't want to reveal that the actor portraying the artist is just that - an actor. And the artwork probably comes from a pudgy, balding nobody who's just aping a Jae Lee/Sean Phillips look. The ad guys want the illusion of this edgy, kinda handsome guy prowling the steam-venting streets of Prague, driven by his devotion to his art. The reality is probably the equivalent of the fat phone sex operator.

Sean Phillips
03-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Nothing to do with me. Doesn't look like a real comic artist drew it, but that shot of the hero at 0.26 in definitely a swipe from somewhere.

Alex(sadly)Maleev
03-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Nothing to do with me. Doesn't look like a real comic artist drew it, but that shot of the hero at 0.26 in definitely a swipe from somewhere.

I was gonna say, you are much much better than this art. Can't be you. I bet it's a work for hire.

DAVE
03-07-2010, 08:18 AM
It's probably some artist working for the advertising company. It looks nothing like Phillips or Jae Lee. It looks bad.

The Hodag
03-07-2010, 08:28 AM
It's probably some artist working for the advertising company. It looks nothing like Phillips or Jae Lee. It looks bad.

But he prowls the steam-shrouded streets of Prague for art!

dougmac
03-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Das was asking about this in another thread last week and someone replied that it was just an actor, but I don't remember who it was that knew.